Sony cant replace my 75X940E what to do... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By nolimits76
  • 1 Post By lucacow

post #1 of 11 Old 05-23-2020, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Sony cant replace my 75X940E what to do...

Hello All,

I have loved my 940E for over 2 years now. ( i think almost 3)
My first 940E had two dust particles behind the screen after one and a half year (size of 3 pixels in the center and one at the top)
So i got it replaced for a refurbished 940E. But that one had bad vertical banding (6 bands) that you can clearly see with bright content and especially panning shots. Since i still have warranty i asked Sony to look into it. They could not repair it but also not replace it for a 940E.

They offered me a 75X950G. But that tv sits in a lower class. It only has 60 local dimming zones compared to the 288 of the 940E.
So i told them that was not really a option. Then they offered a ZF9.
But because of that XWideAndgle layer it only has a 1:3500 contrast ratio where the 940E will do 1:11500 that was the reason i bought the 940E. It had great brightness and superb contrast. So again a downgrade.

I have never seen the ZF9 in real life. But i read a lot about it (was thinking about a upgrade a few year back then reading that it would be a downgrade). And especially the back bar glow and blooming would be worse compared to the 940E because of the XwideAngle layer. (And the contrast offcourse). And sometimes the blooming of the 940E is already slightly annoying.

After also speaking to the store i have 3 real options and a "insane" 4th option:
1: Keep the 940E and try to ignore the banding. Resale value will be bad because it does have a defect.
2: Get the ZF9 and try to live with its short comings and hope that after a month im adjusted. (but im afraid i will miss the contrast)
3: Get the ZF9 sell it to the store for 2200. And pay 1700 extra for a 77C9 OLED (AG9 is way more expensive over here would be more like 3K extra). the C9 would be a upgrade in most area's except brightness.(i think i will miss that but it does offer very good contrast and per pixel dimming to compensate for the brightness loss). Looking at my content: Streaming and blueray movies i do not fear burnin.
4: Most insane go to a different store get 1750 for the ZF9 and pay 6500-7000 extra for a 85ZG9. Contrast is still lower but better than the ZF9. It has more zones way bigger. And Insane brightness. The TV got a price drop from 16K to 8700. But over here they are still very expensive. I payed 5799 for my 940E when it was new and just out on the market. Its sad the value i get back for the ZF9 is so low. Trade in's are very bad over here.

I think the first 3 options are the best. the 4th is just to much extra and yes its bigger but i would have to flat mount it so will increase my viewing distance from 4 meter to like 4.4 meter. So that size difference is shrinking a bit. I have been thinking about the options for weeks now but cant make up my mind.

Maybe there are people here that have seen all sets in real life and can compare them better to tell me if my fear's are justified.

Edit:
Did a test by making a 85ZG9 with paper on the wall. And with my 75X940E in front of it 60CM from the wall i could not see the paper anymore. So 85" flat mount is similar in viewing size compared to my 75 @ 60cm from the wall. Because of the weight of the ZG9 they can only be mounted on a flat wall mount (my mount can support a max of 55KG). so Option 4 is off the table.

HT Setup: Sony 75X940E - Denon X4400W 5.2.4: - SVS Ultra Bookshelf (Front) - SVS Ultra Center - SVS Prime Bookshelf (surround) - 4x Jamo S622 (Height) - Dual SVS PC2000 Sub's

Last edited by Astennu; 05-23-2020 at 03:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-23-2020, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Trade in values will always suck due to the basic philosophy of buy low and sell high.

You may get further with Sony. The good news is they seem to be willing to replace your 940E, which is crucial because they are accepting liability.

You just need to counter back with an offer about what you want. If you want to give OLED a fling, have you considered an AG9? They offer a 77" variant which is close to your current size. Retail price at Best Buy is around $5k.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-77...?skuId=6331600

And here is a list of detailed comparisons:

https://www.zkelectronics.com/compar...xbr-77a9g/usa/

If you are possibly happy with this I would counter back to Sony and ask them to simply swap like it's an equal cost. Worst they do is say no. Best is they agree. If they say no, ask if you can throw a low amount of cash at the deal to help get what you want.

I wouldn't mind to pay a few dollars difference if I was able to get a brand new unit with full warranty and a product I considered an upgrade as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 11 Old 05-23-2020, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimits76 View Post
Trade in values will always suck due to the basic philosophy of buy low and sell high.

You may get further with Sony. The good news is they seem to be willing to replace your 940E, which is crucial because they are accepting liability.

You just need to counter back with an offer about what you want. If you want to give OLED a fling, have you considered an AG9? They offer a 77" variant which is close to your current size. Retail price at Best Buy is around $5k.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-77...?skuId=6331600

And here is a list of detailed comparisons:

https://www.zkelectronics.com/compar...xbr-77a9g/usa/

If you are possibly happy with this I would counter back to Sony and ask them to simply swap like it's an equal cost. Worst they do is say no. Best is they agree. If they say no, ask if you can throw a low amount of cash at the deal to help get what you want.

I wouldn't mind to pay a few dollars difference if I was able to get a brand new unit with full warranty and a product I considered an upgrade as well.

Just my 2 cents.

I have asked them i i could get a AG9 or ZH8 and pay extra. But they dont offer that service. They can only offer me the X950G or ZF9 otherwise i have to deal with the original shop.
I live in the Netherlands so we dont have Amazon or best buy deals. TV's are much more expensive over here (sadly).
Sony USA warranty policy's and or replacement policies might also be different compared to the EU. 75"+ is very uncommon over here. So i guess they have less replacement options compared to the USA.

HT Setup: Sony 75X940E - Denon X4400W 5.2.4: - SVS Ultra Bookshelf (Front) - SVS Ultra Center - SVS Prime Bookshelf (surround) - 4x Jamo S622 (Height) - Dual SVS PC2000 Sub's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-23-2020, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 78
if you have a chance to see the TVs go by the picture. 2016’s $5k TV is 2020’s 1500 TV so what can feel like a wallet/price downgrade may not be.

Ask them to present you with 3-4 TVs you can pick from and go from there.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-23-2020, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astennu View Post
I have asked them i i could get a AG9 or ZH8 and pay extra. But they dont offer that service. They can only offer me the X950G or ZF9 otherwise i have to deal with the original shop.
I live in the Netherlands so we dont have Amazon or best buy deals. TV's are much more expensive over here (sadly).
Sony USA warranty policy's and or replacement policies might also be different compared to the EU. 75"+ is very uncommon over here. So i guess they have less replacement options compared to the USA.
Two thoughts.

First, how far have you elevated the matter? If you aren't talking to the CEO then you can go higher. Once you get their ear, I would explain how you are a Sony enthusiast and loved your 940E and you simply aren't satisfied with the replacement options. Follow up you understand their dilemma in the fact another 940E isn't a realistic replacement but plead the case they already have a SUNK cost to replace the unit and you would simply like to pay the difference to get a different model that will satisfy your PQ demands, allow them to make good for the portion of the costs as applicable to the 940E and also make a few dollars more by upgrading you. Convince them it's a win-win for all parties and you will sing their praises on all the AV forums you visit and influence other buyers.

Probably a long shot but I've played a similar game on other matters and when you get the right person and connect with them, you can normally get a different/better result.

If that doesn't work it boils down to this....it's a financial issue. I'd take the model that costs the most and will give you the most trade in at the local dealer. I'd try it out. You may love it. If not, then you use as a trade and spruce up for whatever model you want. At this point, you need to stop fretting over what you paid 3 years ago. Like I advised with Sony, those are your SUNK costs. No one would pay the same money for a 940E today. It sucks but that's reality. Staying in a bad deal because you can't get okay with sunk costs keep you bound up and doesn't allow you to move on. So I'd likely try the ZF9 and see how it goes. If it doesn't work, pay $1700 and get the C9. Or sell privately and maybe get more money for it. Either way, that's a great price to upgrade to a 77" OLED.

lucacow likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-23-2020, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Sony cant replace my 75X940E what to do...

Quote:
Two thoughts.

First, how far have you elevated the matter? If you aren't talking to the CEO then you can go higher. Once you get their ear, I would explain how you are a Sony enthusiast and loved your 940E and you simply aren't satisfied with the replacement options. Follow up you understand their dilemma in the fact another 940E isn't a realistic replacement but plead the case they already have a SUNK cost to replace the unit and you would simply like to pay the difference to get a different model that will satisfy your PQ demands, allow them to make good for the portion of the costs as applicable to the 940E and also make a few dollars more by upgrading you. Convince them it's a win-win for all parties and you will sing their praises on all the AV forums you visit and influence other buyers.

Probably a long shot but I've played a similar game on other matters and when you get the right person and connect with them, you can normally get a different/better result.

If that doesn't work it boils down to this....it's a financial issue. I'd take the model that costs the most and will give you the most trade in at the local dealer. I'd try it out. You may love it. If not, then you use as a trade and spruce up for whatever model you want. At this point, you need to stop fretting over what you paid 3 years ago. Like I advised with Sony, those are your SUNK costs. No one would pay the same money for a 940E today. It sucks but that's reality. Staying in a bad deal because you can't get okay with sunk costs keep you bound up and doesn't allow you to move on. So I'd likely try the ZF9 and see how it goes. If it doesn't work, pay $1700 and get the C9. Or sell privately and maybe get more money for it. Either way, that's a great price to upgrade to a 77" OLED.

What this guy said.

Btw sorry to hear about your 940E. It is a great set (I’ve only enjoyed mine), but I would not hesitate to get that 77” C9 for what they’re offering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nolimits76 likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old Yesterday, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 143
75Z9F is not so bad at all. It has 288 dimming zones, wide angle layer. I would try
post #8 of 11 Old Yesterday, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardennj View Post
if you have a chance to see the TVs go by the picture. 2016’s $5k TV is 2020’s 1500 TV so what can feel like a wallet/price downgrade may not be.

Ask them to present you with 3-4 TVs you can pick from and go from there.
We dont have stores where they have the ZF9 anymore. Maybe when it just launched some of the bigger outlets in the country would have one on display. But now certainly not.
I asked sony if i could test it for one day but that was not possible when i accept the ZF9 i have to turn in the 940E right away. So no going back.
Well in this case the 1500 options from sony are way worse compared to the 940E. Local dimming performance is not even close. Contrast not close. Only brightness is now on par.

Quote:
Two thoughts.

Yeah i thought of that yesterday. i only spoke to the first and maybe second line. I will try to get in touch with the Special Care department. Maybe i can get something done there. But the helpdesk keeps telling me that they dont sell tv's them self and thats why its not possible to get different moddels. I do believe the not selling new units. But they must have refurbished AG9's aswell. They just have a list of units they believe are in the same tier as the 940E and are allowed to only offer those and not something from a higher tier.

I would rather have a AG9 then a C9 but not at that price difference. I do like Sony and prefer the brand but there are limits when quality is almost equal + the C9 has a lot of HDMI2.1 features the AG9 does not have that makes the AG9 and other oled's that are priced higher than the C9 a tough sell.

But i agree is should give it another go.
About the SUNK Costs. I knew the 940E would be cheaper half a year later. I was on sale for like 2500-3000 one year later. But i needed a tv at that moment back then. And it was future proof feature wise. It still is. I expected it to last 5 years. Sadly the first one had a issue after less then 2 and im now almost 3 years in.
So looking at that you can expect that you will lose a lot. I expected to get about 500-maybe 800 after 5 years of service. Almost a complete write off. But right now there are no LCD tv's that i think are better. Samsung Sux it just does not show creators intent. and that is a must. So then you have Sony. The ZG9 and ZH8 are good options but in a different price tier. And since i did not anticipate that i would replace it after 3 years there is no budget to pay 6000 extra at this point.

I don't mind paying 1700 extra. but i feel the store is trying to make a profit on the TV that they buy from me and on the C9 as well. And that is what i do not like about the current situation. And i did try to get a better deal but so far its not possible.

post #9 of 11 Old Yesterday, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucacow View Post
What this guy said.

Btw sorry to hear about your 940E. It is a great set (I’ve only enjoyed mine), but I would not hesitate to get that 77” C9 for what they’re offering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah i still love it but it has issues.
The C9 i think will be great. Only real disadvantage is the lower brightness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimon.Zorg View Post
75Z9F is not so bad at all. It has 288 dimming zones, wide angle layer. I would try

The 940E also has 288. The wide angle layer is a big disadvantage. I only sit dead center to the TV. Im the only person in my household
So i dont need wide angles. If i sit somewhere else i can rotate the screen because of my Vogel wall mount. So i can allway's look at it dead center for the best colors and contrast.

The xwide angle kills native contrast of the ZF9. I think that set would have been so much better without it.
Sony is improving the layer. The ZG9 is already quite a bit better in that regard. But first gen was terrible from what i have read.

I might give it a try. But i think i will only get the 2200 if i do not use the ZF9. If i use it first i think it will drop to 1700 ish. because they cannot sell it as "brand new" anymore.

post #10 of 11 Old Yesterday, 01:57 AM

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
The wide angle layer is a big disadvantage.
I don't think so. When you watch OLED you understand it very clearly. The bigger screen the more important it is.
post #11 of 11 Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimon.Zorg View Post
I don't think so. When you watch OLED you understand it very clearly. The bigger screen the more important it is.
I have seen OLED my brother has a C7. But i dont think the wide angle can compensate for the insane loss of contrast when you sit dead center. Off center it will but dead center the 940E performs very well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page