Samsung or Sony a really difficult choice-Please help :) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By esk1
  • 1 Post By m_snow
  • 1 Post By pbz06
  • 1 Post By ohkaasa
  • 1 Post By ryan.carlson82

post #1 of 28 Old 05-29-2020, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Samsung or Sony a really difficult choice-Please help :)

I am in a pickle, some would say it is a "luxury problem"

I am moving, and in the new home it`s not practical to use my beloved projector JVC X5900 (Europe name for it, dont know the US version) So i need to buy a new TV, since i am used to a big screen, the TV MUST be at least 85" and that is really too small, but one need to make compromises sometimes...

I have narrowed the choices down to Samsung QE85Q95T and the Sony XH9505, The Samsung is originally quite a bit more expensive than the Sony, but i can get a special price on it, so I would pay more or less the same for both sets. Which one should i choose?? To complicate it further, i could opt for the XG9505, which is the 2019 version of Sony`s model, and as far as i know, there has not been much improvements, and it is a little bit cheaper than the 2020 model.

A few things i have picked up, is that Sony is a little more prone to blooming, but has a clearer picture, and supports DV, Samsung on the other hand supports HDMI 2.1 and might be better with the blooming problem, but does not support DV...

I would really appreciate some input here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 05-29-2020, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I’m more of a Sony fan and am loving my Z9G but in your case I would go Samsung. The new 950T seems to be quite impressive.
post #3 of 28 Old 05-29-2020, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohkaasa View Post

I am moving, and in the new home it`s not practical to use my beloved projector JVC X5900 (Europe name for it, dont know the US version) So i need to buy a new TV, since i am used to a big screen, the TV MUST be at least 85" and that is really too small, but one need to make compromises sometimes...

I have narrowed the choices down to Samsung QE85Q95T and the Sony XH9505, The Samsung is originally quite a bit more expensive than the Sony, but i can get a special price on it, so I would pay more or less the same for both sets. Which one should i choose?? To complicate it further, i could opt for the XG9505, which is the 2019 version of Sony`s model, and as far as i know, there has not been much improvements, and it is a little bit cheaper than the 2020 model.

A few things i have picked up, is that Sony is a little more prone to blooming, but has a clearer picture, and supports DV, Samsung on the other hand supports HDMI 2.1 and might be better with the blooming problem, but does not support DV...

I'm much more a Sony fan as well. But if you can get the samsung on discount do it. This is the first year in a few I would go the samsung route and just got my 75q90t in via price at work discount. That being said use case would help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 05-29-2020, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esk1 View Post
I'm much more a Sony fan as well. But if you can get the samsung on discount do it. This is the first year in a few I would go the samsung route and just got my 75q90t in via price at work discount. That being said use case would help.

Ok, two people saying go for Samsung, even they are Sony fans I`m leaning heavily towards Samsung now. You want to know my use case? well, it would be in a room in the basement, with good light control, most use would be movies and TV shows. TV shows would be Netflix or the occasionally downloaded show... Not so much gaming, since i mostly game on my PC.
post #5 of 28 Old 05-29-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Ok, two people saying go for Samsung, even they are Sony fans I`m leaning heavily towards Samsung now. You want to know my use case? well, it would be in a room in the basement, with good light control, most use would be movies and TV shows. TV shows would be Netflix or the occasionally downloaded show... Not so much gaming, since i mostly game on my PC.

Sony major pluses: Uniformity, color accuracy (especially out of the box), gradient/banding
Samsung major pluses: Better Local dimming, HDMI 2.1 support (up to 4k120hz/vrr/allm), response time

For a light controlled room for SDR movie watching or sports give me the sony. For gaming or vivid tv including HDR watching give me the Samsung. If you think you will get a ps5/xbox series x give me the samsung. For throwing anything at it I prefer the samsung but my room is not light controlled entirely either.
post #6 of 28 Old 05-29-2020, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esk1 View Post
Sony major pluses: Uniformity, color accuracy (especially out of the box), gradient/banding
Samsung major pluses: Better Local dimming, HDMI 2.1 support (up to 4k120hz/vrr/allm), response time

For a light controlled room for SDR movie watching or sports give me the sony. For gaming or vivid tv including HDR watching give me the Samsung. If you think you will get a ps5/xbox series x give me the samsung. For throwing anything at it I prefer the samsung but my room is not light controlled entirely either.
Arrghh, the choice is killing me One thing i might see as a major plus for the Sony would be Dolby Vision, or am i wrong? for the HDMI 2.1 part, i dont really know how much use it would be for me for the next 4-5 years
post #7 of 28 Old 05-29-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Arrghh, the choice is killing me One thing i might see as a major plus for the Sony would be Dolby Vision, or am i wrong? for the HDMI 2.1 part, i dont really know how much use it would be for me for the next 4-5 years

I am of the belief 4k60hz is all you need for the next 4-5 years at least outside of gaming. Most AAA games aren't going to push 60hz either but pc gaming and playing older titles will. I would have a hard time personally have that not be the defining feature difference. I feel similarly about DV the only real sources are compressed streaming and a few UHD disks. But HDR10 is the common format for most everything. I have a tcl 6 series upstairs and I prefer the samsung picture over that cheaper tv that has DV. I think they should add it for sure but, until we get 12bit panels (or 10 bit panels with dithering that can handle 12 bit color) I don't think it matters that much.
pbz06 likes this.
post #8 of 28 Old 05-29-2020, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 2291 Post(s)
Liked: 1572
Samsung or Sony a really difficult choice-Please help

Sony hands down plus it has Dolby Vision. If you’re a gamer then the HDMI 2.1 on the Samsung is a nice plus.

P.S. I’m a Sony owner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
pbz06 likes this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
post #9 of 28 Old 05-29-2020, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1597 Post(s)
Liked: 1385
I vote Sony. Much better color accuracy, processing, banding etc. People point out dimming zones, but Sony maintains more accurate EOTF and the algorithm works good and is less intrusive or noticeable in actual movie watching (Samsung crushes black levels to mitigate blooming and raises midtones to achieve brighter). If blooming really bothers you, then OLED would be better anyway...or nothing a little bias lighting can't help with.

Sony XBR-77A9G / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Marantz SR7011 / SVS PB-4000 / Def Tech 9060 Series
post #10 of 28 Old 05-30-2020, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
I vote Sony. Much better color accuracy, processing, banding etc. People point out dimming zones, but Sony maintains more accurate EOTF and the algorithm works good and is less intrusive or noticeable in actual movie watching (Samsung crushes black levels to mitigate blooming and raises midtones to achieve brighter). If blooming really bothers you, then OLED would be better anyway...or nothing a little bias lighting can't help with.
85" OLED is a littlebit out of my price range But the points you make about Sony being more accurate with their dimming is interesting, I wish there were some shootout test between the two models available, but i have not found any...
post #11 of 28 Old 05-30-2020, 01:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 699
I had the 85" x950H. It was terrible and I can't recommend it sadly. And I too, am biased to Sony but I would go Q95T all the way. Much better image quality. Lack of dolby vision is a major let down, but the picture quality of the 85" X950H is mediocre, especially for the price. The low contrast ratio of the 85" X950H makes dolby vision useless anyways.
post #12 of 28 Old 05-30-2020, 02:25 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
might have been the case in years prior but in 2020 it’s a different story. Upon doing my own shopping on the same brands I went in thinking Sony, Sony looked fake in comparison while the Samsung looked more accurate. Samsung’s new processors this year is what makes the difference to previous Samsung’s.

No smart tv software is perfect but I think Samsung is better than the god awful Android tv.

All Samsung needs is DV, but then again I think if it’s via streaming then I still prefer HDR10 as Dolby Vision seems to suffer via streaming, or at least lately it does.

Last edited by Oohahh; 05-30-2020 at 02:30 AM.
post #13 of 28 Old 05-30-2020, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post
I had the 85" x950H. It was terrible and I can't recommend it sadly. And I too, am biased to Sony but I would go Q95T all the way. Much better image quality. Lack of dolby vision is a major let down, but the picture quality of the 85" X950H is mediocre, especially for the price. The low contrast ratio of the 85" X950H makes dolby vision useless anyways.

Ok, that was one really negative towards the Sony, so the contrast ratio on the Samsung is way better? It is so many different opinions out there, on one Norwegian facebook group, there was one guy, that switched out his XG9505 with the Samsung Q95T due to the HDMI 2.1 on Samsung, and he said that the picture on the Sony was better (colors,crispness, punch etc) and he would never have switched if it was not for the HDMI 2.1 he needed. I guess it comes down to what is most important for the individual? for me it is important with good contrast, deep blacks, as little blooming as possible, and ofcourse enough punch, but i will use the TV in a room with relatively good light control, so i dont think punch will be a big problem. I am also thinking of buying the philips hue bos to sync some lights
post #14 of 28 Old 05-30-2020, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Just to throw another wrench in things, since you are used to a projector, have you looked at UST projectors? They might work in your space and give you a larger image.

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic UB420, Apple TV 4K, JBL Studio 530’s, Dual Driver VBSS

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne, Roku Express (2019)
post #15 of 28 Old 05-30-2020, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Ok, that was one really negative towards the Sony, so the contrast ratio on the Samsung is way better? It is so many different opinions out there, on one Norwegian facebook group, there was one guy, that switched out his XG9505 with the Samsung Q95T due to the HDMI 2.1 on Samsung, and he said that the picture on the Sony was better (colors,crispness, punch etc) and he would never have switched if it was not for the HDMI 2.1 he needed. I guess it comes down to what is most important for the individual? for me it is important with good contrast, deep blacks, as little blooming as possible, and ofcourse enough punch, but i will use the TV in a room with relatively good light control, so i dont think punch will be a big problem. I am also thinking of buying the philips hue bos to sync some lights

The Sony is definitely better out of the box. I would ask him if he bothered to copy like rtings settings
post #16 of 28 Old 05-30-2020, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oohahh View Post
might have been the case in years prior but in 2020 it’s a different story. Upon doing my own shopping on the same brands I went in thinking Sony, Sony looked fake in comparison while the Samsung looked more accurate. Samsung’s new processors this year is what makes the difference to previous Samsung’s.

No smart tv software is perfect but I think Samsung is better than the god awful Android tv.

All Samsung needs is DV, but then again I think if it’s via streaming then I still prefer HDR10 as Dolby Vision seems to suffer via streaming, or at least lately it does.
If "fake" was your conclusion, then it was clearly an issue with the setup

And android is perfectly fine.

I don't know any professional or videophile that picks Samsung.
post #17 of 28 Old 05-30-2020, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Be wary of hyperbolic "experiences" like that. You have to herd out the fringe opinions that sound fishy. Anybody that tells you one is terrible and garbage, has to be taken with a grain of salt. Welcome to the internet in 2020

Best advice is to do thorough research, and see for yourself.
JoelArt likes this.
post #18 of 28 Old 05-30-2020, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Quote:
Be wary of hyperbolic "experiences" like that. You have to herd out the fringe opinions that sound fishy. Anybody that tells you one is terrible and garbage, has to be taken with a grain of salt. Welcome to the internet in 2020

Best advice is to do thorough research, and see for yourself.
As an AV enthusiast for the past 20 years, and a forum member here for over 13 years, fringe isn't the right word. The wide angle filter that Sony uses destroys contrast ratio. Native contrast ratio is around 1700:1 (barely better than an IPS panel), and the contrast ratio with local dimming is still under 4000:1. I would consider that terrible by todays standards. Not to mention the Samsung's native contrast is 4000:1, with its local dimming contrast ratio at over 10,000:1. It's no competition. The Samsung can be calibrated to match the Sony's more natural image, just as the Sony can be calibrated to match Samsung's more vibrant saturated image. Saying the Sony is even in the same league as the Q90T/Q95T is "fringe".

I should add that I do currently own a Sony 65X950G, LG 77C9, TCL 55R625, Panasonic 65ZT60, and a Panasonic 60S60. The 85X950H that I had for a couple days before returning for the 77C9 was severely worse than all the others listed, solely because of its poor contrast ratio. The 77C9 absolutely leaves all the others in the dust. Time will tell if I get burn-in like I did on my B7.

Last edited by *UFO*; 05-30-2020 at 10:05 AM.
post #19 of 28 Old 05-30-2020, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
Just to throw another wrench in things, since you are used to a projector, have you looked at UST projectors? They might work in your space and give you a larger image.
Yes, I have considered the Optoma UST with an ALR screen, and it is tempting as well, and would cost about the same, but a TV is easier to use for the kids and such (wife...) And the UST projector is a little picky to setup together with a center channel...
post #20 of 28 Old 05-30-2020, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I posted this in the "Help me choose an LCD" thread but didn't get a response, so please forgive me for trying here. Looking for a 75" TV in the $2300 price range. Last December I bought a Samsung QLED 75Q80R which had vertical banding issues, especially when watching hockey. They offered to replace it with a 75Q900R and when it arrived the delivery people broke one of the legs setting it up. It was supposed to be replace with another 75Q900R but mysteriously they don't have any available and won't replace it with another model so after almost 6 months of messing around Samsung's refunding my purchase price. Any suggestions?
post #21 of 28 Old 05-31-2020, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 30
My experiences with Samsung have never been pleasant. So Im always reluctant to recommend a Samsung product. Have you looked at the latest LG nanocell TVs?

My current TV is a Sony 930E. Have no experience with the newer ones but am very happy with the build and picture quality of the 930E.
post #22 of 28 Old 05-31-2020, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I haven't, but I'll take a look. Thanks! I'm open to anything, but my dealings with Samsung have left a bad taste in my mouth.
post #23 of 28 Old 06-01-2020, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

I will tell you the pros and the cons and you decide what is better for you, The sony has more realistic accurate colors and better shadow details in dark scenes but you will have more blooming, two parts that they are better than the Samsung is with motion and upscaling of lower resolution content.

The Samsung has a more over-saturated color and you will get less blooming but the price for this is crushed blacks with less shadow detail and bright colors in dark scenes are also darker.
post #24 of 28 Old 06-01-2020, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Dolby Vision is not a HUGE improvement over HDR10, but minor. What's more important to me is the lifted blacks, weak blooming control and lack of support for next generation gaming resolutions in the Sony models - they are simply carrying over their 2019 model with zero improvement. Dolby Vision in this context by itself does not overcome the other issues that Sony has done nothing this year to correct. If gaming is even remotely important to you, avoid Sony this year.
post #25 of 28 Old 06-01-2020, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 29
If you're set on the 85" size, get the new 85" Sony 900H for $2.8K instead - it has HDMI 2.1 and the ATSC 3.0 tuner. Avoid Samsung.

Or, if you can go down to the 77" size, get the Sony A9G OLED.
post #26 of 28 Old 06-02-2020, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Samsung or Sony a really difficult choice-Please help :)

A lot of useful info here, thanks guys, i dont know if it have made my choice any easier though It seems that whatever i choose, there will be compromises (as usual) So it boils down to what I can live with of issues, and what i cannot. unfortunately 85" is the minimum size, anything under i would almost call a "travel TV" Sorry if I offend anyone , haha. But as far as i can see, there is no point in buying the 2020 model of Sony, if i choose Sony, since there has been no real improvement from 2019, and the 2019 model i can get About 800$ cheaper.
pbz06 likes this.
post #27 of 28 Old 06-15-2020, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Not difficult at all. Sony. You could not pay me to have another Samsung product in my household.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
post #28 of 28 Old 06-16-2020, 04:21 AM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
A lot of useful info here, thanks guys, i dont know if it have made my choice any easier though It seems that whatever i choose, there will be compromises (as usual) So it boils down to what I can live with of issues, and what i cannot. unfortunately 85" is the minimum size, anything under i would almost call a "travel TV" Sorry if I offend anyone , haha. But as far as i can see, there is no point in buying the 2020 model of Sony, if i choose Sony, since there has been no real improvement from 2019, and the 2019 model i can get About 800$ cheaper.
There has been some upgrades to the processor on the X950H over the X950G, yielding slightly less blooming, being the main thing.

And to me, an 85" is just too big for anything. Personally, I do not have the space, can not wall-mount, nor the manpower to move an 85" around. Not to mention there are now that many more pixels to look after, and that many more to look after. Also, as a few real, actual TV experts have pointed out, the larget the TV, the less quality the picture is going to be, because as they drop in size, the Pixels Per Square Inch increases, giving better colors, better shadow detail, and so on. I am sitting right at 75" myself, and have thought about even reducing size to 65'.

Maybe OLED is on my radar next.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
pilotart likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page