If You Compared the Samsung Q80R and the Sony x950G: Which Did You Prefer? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By wpwj40e
  • 1 Post By wpwj40e

post #1 of 10 Old 05-31-2020, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 41
If You Compared the Samsung Q80R and the Sony x950G: Which Did You Prefer?

I have the Samsung and I like it a lot, but I have this nagging feeling I should have taken a look at the Sony.

The main issue I seem to find between the two is that the Samsung deals with blooming by lowering contrast/white level to avoid it, which results in a dimmer picture, while the Sony doesn't do this, which means you get a brighter image with white objects against a dark background ... at the cost of visible blooming.

Samsung is brighter overall but the Sony has better contrast. Samsung has over saturated colors while Sony is more color accurate (although some reviewers say it has a pronounced blue shift).

My use is almost entirely PC and PS4Pro gaming with some occasional movie/TV watching.

If you have compared these two sets ... please tell me which you liked better and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-01-2020, 01:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Cable View Post
I have the Samsung and I like it a lot, but I have this nagging feeling I should have taken a look at the Sony.

The main issue I seem to find between the two is that the Samsung deals with blooming by lowering contrast/white level to avoid it, which results in a dimmer picture, while the Sony doesn't do this, which means you get a brighter image with white objects against a dark background ... at the cost of visible blooming.

Samsung is brighter overall but the Sony has better contrast. Samsung has over saturated colors while Sony is more color accurate (although some reviewers say it has a pronounced blue shift).

My use is almost entirely PC and PS4Pro gaming with some occasional movie/TV watching.

If you have compared these two sets ... please tell me which you liked better and why?
I had in house the Sony 900f, the 950g and the Samsung q90r. 85,85,82
I compared them for 3 weeks. Ultimately keeping the 900f.
I felt as did my family that some of the short comings of the 950g were due to the wide angle implementation. Namely contrast, black levels and brightness took hits on this set as compared to the other two.
Sony 900f has the best contrast and black detail of the three. It also had the most accurate colors as well. Both Sony’s handled motion and upscaling better than the Samsung.
My boys game and to my surprise liked the 900f by a wide margin over the Samsung. Think it had to do with motion handling, shadow detail and a more stable image.
I use DTV for live tv and again both Sony’s handled the upscaling better than that of the Samsung.
I could go on for awhile. Had a spreadsheet with about 25 comparison points and the 900f checked most of the boxes.

Terry
pbz06 likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-01-2020, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpwj40e View Post
I had in house the Sony 900f, the 950g and the Samsung q90r. 85,85,82
I compared them for 3 weeks. Ultimately keeping the 900f.
I felt as did my family that some of the short comings of the 950g were due to the wide angle implementation. Namely contrast, black levels and brightness took hits on this set as compared to the other two.
Sony 900f has the best contrast and black detail of the three. It also had the most accurate colors as well. Both Sony’s handled motion and upscaling better than the Samsung.
My boys game and to my surprise liked the 900f by a wide margin over the Samsung. Think it had to do with motion handling, shadow detail and a more stable image.
I use DTV for live tv and again both Sony’s handled the upscaling better than that of the Samsung.
I could go on for awhile. Had a spreadsheet with about 25 comparison points and the 900f checked most of the boxes.

Terry
That's exactly the type of detailed reply I would have hoped for, so it's much appreciated! Only problem is now I have to go back to Best Buy and pick up the Sony. I'm doing this by myself and lugging around a 65" boxed TV can be a little unwieldy

Unfortunately, the 900f isn't available in my area, so I'd have to go for the 950g. You talked about the drawbacks of the wide angle implementation of the 950g. Pretty sure that implementation isn't included in the 65" version, so hopefully contrast/black levels will be more like your 900f. One more question if you don't mind: How is the dimming/blooming on your 900f? I know people complain about the effect on letterboxed material, but since I'm mostly interested in gaming, I'd only be concerned about blooming with 16:9/fullscreen material.

Thanks again for the response!

Last edited by Tangled Cable; 06-01-2020 at 10:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-01-2020, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Cable View Post
That's exactly the type of detailed reply I would have hoped for, so it's much appreciated! Only problem is now I have to go back to Best Buy and pick up the Sony. I'm doing this by myself and lugging around a 65" boxed TV can be a little unwieldy

Unfortunately, the 900f isn't available in my area, so I'd have to go for the 950g. You talked about the drawbacks of the wide angle implementation of the 950g. Pretty sure that implementation isn't included in the 65" version, so hopefully contrast/black levels will be more like your 900f. One more question if you don't mind: How is the dimming/blooming on your 900f? I know people complain about the effect on letterboxed material, but since I'm mostly interested in gaming, I'd only be concerned about blooming with 16:9/fullscreen material.

Thanks again for the response!
The wide angle implementation isn’t on the 950g, so my expectation is that it will perform better or equal to that of the 900f at 65in. We noticed very little blooming on the i00f and what was there was gone with a few tweaks to the settings as discussed in the 900f settings thread. We used andereggs settings. We did not notice any blooming on the 950g and the boys played a lot with that set. The upside to the 950g is that you won’t have the wonkiness of the internal apps that the 900f had. As we stream via Xbox x and Apple TV, the wonkiness was not a factor in the decision.
Good luck!
Terry
post #5 of 10 Old 06-03-2020, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Don't mean to hijack, but Terry seems to have already made the comparison I was planning on.

How is the Sony for 900f for HDR movie viewing?

And how exactly do you consider the narrow viewing angle? This was a deal-breaker for me after reviewing the reviews on rtings.com

I'm looking for an 85", and my seating will feature seating that has some eyeballs only 7ft back, but approx 6 ft off-center. The second row will have eyeballs 12-13 ft back and 6ft off-center.

Thank you for your help

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Samsung JU7100 75" 4K | Denon x2300 | Oppo UDP-203 | Pioneer Andrew Jones 5.0.2 | Klipsch Sub-12HG
post #6 of 10 Old 06-04-2020, 12:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meetloaf13 View Post
Don't mean to hijack, but Terry seems to have already made the comparison I was planning on.

And how exactly do you consider the narrow viewing angle? This was a deal-breaker for me after reviewing the reviews on rtings.com

I'm looking for an 85", and my seating will feature seating that has some eyeballs only 7ft back, but approx 6 ft off-center. The second row will have eyeballs 12-13 ft back and 6ft off-center.

Thank you for your help

Interesting questions....both areas made my spreadsheet. I’ll review my notes.
HDR
At first we thought the Sony’s were a tad dimmer than the Samsung, other things being equal, Sony 900f having more accurate colors and better detail due to better contrast. But with a couple of minor tweaks and I do mean minor....the 900f was equally as bright AND had best overall PQ.

ANGLE VIEW
I’ll describe my seating...the off angle viewing is very important. My seating looks like a U. The back of the U is approximately 9ft in length and seats 3-4. ( curved )The sides of U are about 4 feet in length and seat 2 on each side. The back of th U is apoxiamtely 11 feet back from the set. The obvious best seats are the middle two of the back of the U. All comparisons were made to these. As we use this seating for family and friendly gatherings it was important that all seats had decent PQ. We are avid football fans and sundays consist of family and friends avidly watching football all day. Our sons often have friends over to game or do movie nite.

Colorsifift, brightness and detail were areas focused on. The 950g had pretty much the same overall PQ. With the two end seats being a tad dimmer on certain material(movies) the Samsung had again same PQ across the back, but both sets of side seats claimed dimmer and loss of color towards the side. The 900f was closer to the 950g. Although the better PQ of the 900f was noted and the end seats were entirely satisfied with their view.

Sorry for the long answer, but hope this gives you some perspective.
Terry
Meetloaf13 likes this.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-04-2020, 05:04 AM

It sounds like except for the outer most viewer in my front row, all viewers will have a similar experience to yours, in short, a very good picture, and even then, being in a basement dedicated viewing room, it should look pretty good.

My home is complete in a few months... Just have to decide if I want to hold out for the delayed Vizio 85, and whether I want to buy 2-yr old tech, or wait for the Sony 85 update.

Thanks!

Samsung JU7100 75" 4K | Denon x2300 | Oppo UDP-203 | Pioneer Andrew Jones 5.0.2 | Klipsch Sub-12HG
post #8 of 10 Old 06-04-2020, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meetloaf13 View Post

I have 85" 900f. I like it a lot for reasons that have been discussed here. I sit dead center @ 12'. My wife sits around 3' off-center and I notice some loss of contrast. I would not want to watch this TV - or probably ANY LCD - at 6' off-center. Picture definitely deteriorates. I would either rearrange your seating or get an OLED.

I debated a long time whether to get an 85" LCD or 77" OLED. I went for 85" because my critical viewing is on a projector with screen that descends over 85". Still nothing beats OLED quality.

I do not think you will be happy viewing 85" @ 6' off-center ESPECIALLY @ 7' from screen.

Last edited by console; 06-04-2020 at 05:27 AM.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-04-2020, 05:49 AM

Good to know.

I personally will always be sitting dead center. But if the angles are really washed out, that's undesirable.

I would personally LOVE to go OLED, and I'm willing to spend, but this panel is going on an 18' wall, there will be curtains on either side, but 85" size is pretty important to me so that it doesn't look like a postage stamp on the wall.

I've contemplated a projector, but panels look so good. Perhaps I've just not seen a good 4K projector. I could go larger image, but I've optimized sound for the middle from seats, so unless I go 8K (I won't for at least a couple years), I don't think I want a much bigger screen.

Last edited by Meetloaf13; 06-04-2020 at 08:03 AM.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-15-2020, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I owned both in 75". I liked the Sony for motion handling and for screen uniformity. There was no dirty screen effect. Aside from that, I liked the Q90R a lot more, except Samsung seems to have issues with reliability, so I am back to Sony or an LG OLED. (The Sony OLED is too far out if the price range, so if I decide on OLED, it will have to be LG, especially since I got to have the 77".)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page