82" Q70 vs 75" x950g vs 75" Q90 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By nolimits76
  • 1 Post By cpizzull

post #1 of 17 Old 06-03-2020, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
82" Q70 vs 75" x950g vs 75" Q90

I'm struggling with making a decision and wanted to solicit some feedback. I've decided between these three models and each has their own positives/negatives. I've typically owned Sony but feel no particular loyalty to them. This TV would be for a main room where the viewing area is 11-13' with some corner chairs at an angle and maybe 9.5' from the TV. No OTA or cable--everything is netflix, hulu and UHD/BD/ files. All my sources run through a media hub (Apple TV 4k, NVidia Shield, Roku) to a soundbar so apps on TV and ARC/eARC isn't a huge concern. My biggest struggle at this point is the lack of Dolby Vision on the Samsung side and what that means--it's apparent HDR10+ isn't the winner and my understanding is that most Dolby Vision UHD's would have a HDR profile to them. Now my understanding is Dolby Vision is architected for the extreme limits of the platform and that none of the TV's today can reach those limits. However I HATE buying things (despite being a frequent upgrader) that I feel are already outdated the minute they hit the ground.

Can anyone share their experience with these sets or with Dolby Vision in particular? Am I giving it too much weight? Thank you for the advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-03-2020, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 43
82” size would probably be ideal for your distance. I have a 85” and sit right at 15’ and it’s perfect.
I’m a Sony fan but would probably go with the Q90r out of those sets. If you could possible wait till a 82” Q90r was affordable that would be an amazing set.
post #3 of 17 Old 06-03-2020, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Putting tech specs to the side for a minute I would point out 75" vs 82".

I bring this up as my new 77" LG C9 OLED arrived today. It is replacing an 80" Sharp LED. Prior to deciding on the LG I considered some other 75" units.

Personally I am glad I landed on the 77". While the size gap isn't significant I would not want to go smaller.

However, if you are going from a 55" to one of these other screens, they are all rather glorious and all them will feel like an upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 06-03-2020, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxsledder View Post
82” size would probably be ideal for your distance. I have a 85” and sit right at 15’ and it’s perfect.
I’m a Sony fan but would probably go with the Q90r out of those sets. If you could possible wait till a 82” Q90r was affordable that would be an amazing set.
My instinct is to go bigger. Yeah I've been looking for the 82" q90r and haven't found one yet--I think if I did I'd jump. Thank you for the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimits76 View Post
Putting tech specs to the side for a minute I would point out 75" vs 82".

I bring this up as my new 77" LG C9 OLED arrived today. It is replacing an 80" Sharp LED. Prior to deciding on the LG I considered some other 75" units.

Personally I am glad I landed on the 77". While the size gap isn't significant I would not want to go smaller.

However, if you are going from a 55" to one of these other screens, they are all rather glorious and all them will feel like an upgrade.

Interestingly enough I am coming from a 55" older Sony and so I think either will work well--the room has lots of light but can be controlled. Seriously tempted to go 77" OLED but it's about 1500 more than I want to spend.
post #5 of 17 Old 06-03-2020, 11:40 PM

FYI I bought my 77" LG OLED using GreenToe. Paid $3,600 all in delivered to my house. Brand new and from an authorized dealer.

That's about $900+ cheaper than normal off sticker plus another $350 or so in tax savings.

It was my first time using GT and also buying a TV online. Part of their secret sauce is connecting buyers with authorized distributors. You don't know who until they accept your offer, or you accept their counter offer.

While I was nervous throughout the process, they did everything promised so I'd buy again.

Not trying to talk you into more money, just saying maybe that works for you.

post #6 of 17 Old 06-04-2020, 12:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by talman View Post
I'm struggling with making a decision and wanted to solicit some feedback. I've decided between these three models and each has their own positives/negatives. I've typically owned Sony but feel no particular loyalty to them. This TV would be for a main room where the viewing area is 11-13' with some corner chairs at an angle and maybe 9.5' from the TV. No OTA or cable--everything is netflix, hulu and UHD/BD/ files. All my sources run through a media hub (Apple TV 4k, NVidia Shield, Roku) to a soundbar so apps on TV and ARC/eARC isn't a huge concern. My biggest struggle at this point is the lack of Dolby Vision on the Samsung side and what that means--it's apparent HDR10+ isn't the winner and my understanding is that most Dolby Vision UHD's would have a HDR profile to them. Now my understanding is Dolby Vision is architected for the extreme limits of the platform and that none of the TV's today can reach those limits. However I HATE buying things (despite being a frequent upgrader) that I feel are already outdated the minute they hit the ground.

Can anyone share their experience with these sets or with Dolby Vision in particular? Am I giving it too much weight? Thank you for the advice!
There is another thread going where I compare the big sister of these models.it answers your questions directly.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...ou-prefer.html

Good luck!
Terry
post #7 of 17 Old 06-04-2020, 03:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
FYI I bought my 77" LG OLED using GreenToe. Paid $3,600 all in delivered to my house. Brand new and from an authorized dealer.

That's about $900+ cheaper than normal off sticker plus another $350 or so in tax savings.

It was my first time using GT and also buying a TV online. Part of their secret sauce is connecting buyers with authorized distributors. You don't know who until they accept your offer, or you accept their counter offer.

While I was nervous throughout the process, they did everything promised so I'd buy again.

Do you know who was that sold you the tv?

post #8 of 17 Old 06-04-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiquito3 View Post
Do you know who was that sold you the tv?

Yes, the name of the retailer was disclosed after my card was charged. However, the other part of GT's magic sauce is they ask you don't repeat those names. You can discuss price and process but not names. If you violate and they discover their terms indicate they can cancel your order (if in process) and ban you from future GT services.

At first I thought that was a little weird but the more I thought about it the more it made sense. While I got a deal on my TV I would have had a hard time spending those dollars with someone I hadn't heard of before.

I remember the first few times I used mega giants like Amazon, New Egg, CDW, etc. I cautiously eased into purchases with them. Now I don't blink an eye. And I'm pretty sure my wife thinks Amazon might be a distant part of the family, lol.

Being small can be a blessing and curse. For online orders you have to overcome major trust obstacles, especially when people dump a few thousand dollars on an item. Local traffic gets the luxury of seeing something tangible and maybe even developing a business relationship by dropping by, seeing them service their community, etc. So having an intermediary like GT (or Amazon or New Egg if you ever use 3rd party sellers) helps establish trust and credibility.

This was especially apparent to me recently as I reached out to jdsmoothie recently about an AVR purchase. I really wasn't sure who he was but I saw him recommended by a few others here. I sent a PM. He offered to connect via phone. I learned he is an AVR genius and enthusiast that I just genuinely enjoyed talking to. He didn't try to upsell me, or sell me at all really. His shop is small and I may have also overlooked them had I not stumbled upon him in this manner. While not local, we had a chance to establish trust and I currently have an order with him for an AVR.

My point being while GT was new to me, I see their value add by keeping some information blind. We won't always get a chance to connect otherwise.

Anyhow, hope my ramblings somehow help.

post #9 of 17 Old 06-04-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Yes, the name of the retailer was disclosed after my card was charged. However, the other part of GT's magic sauce is they ask you don't repeat those names. You can discuss price and process but not names. If you violate and they discover their terms indicate they can cancel your order (if in process) and ban you from future GT services.

At first I thought that was a little weird but the more I thought about it the more it made sense. While I got a deal on my TV I would have had a hard time spending those dollars with someone I hadn't heard of before.

I remember the first few times I used mega giants like Amazon, New Egg, CDW, etc. I cautiously eased into purchases with them. Now I don't blink an eye. And I'm pretty sure my wife thinks Amazon might be a distant part of the family, lol.

Being small can be a blessing and curse. For online orders you have to overcome major trust obstacles, especially when people dump a few thousand dollars on an item. Local traffic gets the luxury of seeing something tangible and maybe even developing a business relationship by dropping by, seeing them service their community, etc. So having an intermediary like GT (or Amazon or New Egg if you ever use 3rd party sellers) helps establish trust and credibility.

This was especially apparent to me recently as I reached out to jdsmoothie recently about an AVR purchase. I really wasn't sure who he was but I saw him recommended by a few others here. I sent a PM. He offered to connect via phone. I learned he is an AVR genius and enthusiast that I just genuinely enjoyed talking to. He didn't try to upsell me, or sell me at all really. His shop is small and I may have also overlooked them had I not stumbled upon him in this manner. While not local, we had a chance to establish trust and I currently have an order with him for an AVR.

My point being while GT was new to me, I see their value add by keeping some information blind. We won't always get a chance to connect otherwise.

Anyhow, hope my ramblings somehow help.

Man you sound like you work with them!
Enjoy you magnificent tv.

post #10 of 17 Old 06-04-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Man you sound like you work with them!
Enjoy you magnificent tv.

Hahaha, no not all. I was a nervous Nelly until she arrived.

And thank you. She's been glorious so far. My other set was an 80" 1080p. No slouch but I really prefer the OLED technology. Reminds me of my old Panasonic plasma I had before the 80" LED.

I did see a Samsung Q7DR at Sam's. The Q7DR is the 2019 Q70 model just relabeled under the Sam's/Costco special model number. That was also a really nice TV. I never got to see a Q80R or Q90R with my own eyes but anticipate they are better.

FYI....the R signifies a 2019 model. The newer 2020 models have T, so Q80T is a 2020 model. A bigger difference is in 2020 they all took a click down meaning a Q80T is more comparable to a Q70R.

chiquito3 likes this.
post #11 of 17 Old 06-04-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Hahaha, no not all. I was a nervous Nelly until she arrived.

And thank you. She's been glorious so far. My other set was an 80" 1080p. No slouch but I really prefer the OLED technology. Reminds me of my old Panasonic plasma I had before the 80" LED.

I did see a Samsung Q7DR at Sam's. The Q7DR is the 2019 Q70 model just relabeled under the Sam's/Costco special model number. That was also a really nice TV. I never got to see a Q80R or Q90R with my own eyes but anticipate they are better.

FYI....the R signifies a 2019 model. The newer 2020 models have T, so Q80T is a 2020 model. A bigger difference is in 2020 they all took a click down meaning a Q80T is more comparable to a Q70R.

I've seen the Q70R at Costco and seems nice but I come from an old LG 50" Plasma and don't know how would an LCD behave for me. I would love to get a deal like yours but I live in PR and is almost impossible to find any internet store that ships TV's to PR. Also I don't like that the Samsung TV's have no Dolby Vision.

post #12 of 17 Old 06-04-2020, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpwj40e View Post
There is another thread going where I compare the big sister of these models.it answers your questions directly.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...ou-prefer.html

Good luck!
Terry
I actually found your post after creating my own and was surprised to see you landed on the 900f. I'm coming from a 900e and enjoy the picture but always striving for better (that isn't 3.6k). Thank you!
post #13 of 17 Old 06-04-2020, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks--I have that 3599 offer as well and it's still more than I want to spend. I'm looking at some open boxes from BB that are more around the 2k and under mark thus the 1500 comment. I'd love to go OLED but have some concerns around burn in with the kids using the same set. I guess I could look at a 65" OLED and compare that to a 75 or 82" LED and that would make for an interesting discussion.
post #14 of 17 Old 06-04-2020, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just replaced my old 58" Pioneer Elite with the 82" Q70. I had been basically set on the Q80, but when I reread some reviews at rtings, I realized my dark, non-angles room didn't need the Q80. This saved me a ton as I picked up the Q70 at Costco for $2300 with a 5 yr warranty from Samsung to boot. Needless to say, I couldn't be more pleased with the picture. I mainly care about tv quality for movies and I can't possibly see what difference Dolby Vision would really do. The pic is as good as it can possibly be (btw, playing 4k demo content is just insane too). I don't think you'll go wrong with any of those sets, but as far as bang for the buck, I can't see how you would beat that Costco value. Good luck!
post #15 of 17 Old 06-04-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpizzull View Post
I just replaced my old 58" Pioneer Elite with the 82" Q70. I had been basically set on the Q80, but when I reread some reviews at rtings, I realized my dark, non-angles room didn't need the Q80. This saved me a ton as I picked up the Q70 at Costco for $2300 with a 5 yr warranty from Samsung to boot. Needless to say, I couldn't be more pleased with the picture. I mainly care about tv quality for movies and I can't possibly see what difference Dolby Vision would really do. The pic is as good as it can possibly be (btw, playing 4k demo content is just insane too). I don't think you'll go wrong with any of those sets, but as far as bang for the buck, I can't see how you would beat that Costco value. Good luck!
How big is your room? Are all your sittings in front of the tv? If you sit on a side wall of the room can you still see the tv with no problem?

post #16 of 17 Old 06-04-2020, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpizzull View Post
Thanks for the feedback--I appreciate it. I originally looked to the q90 due to the one connect box then see a fair amount of reported problems and the cable not being inwall rated (this is going to be mounted) so I'm not sure. I'm wondering what angles would need the additional viewing features of the higher end models? 45 degrees or less? My angled areas (2 seats only) would be at approximately at a 30-40 degree off center viewing. The rest are easily less than half if that.
post #17 of 17 Old 06-04-2020, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
How big is your room? Are all your sittings in front of the tv? If you sit on a side wall of the room can you still see the tv with no problem?

It's about 15' wide, and my main seat is about 11' directly in front. I have no seating at less than 50 degree angle from tv. It's in a basement so extremely dark for movies. I think the angled viewing is damn good still, but if you are really that concerned with angled viewing, AND are in a room with windows, you may want to go after the Q80R.
chiquito3 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page