Samsung Odyssey 32G7 32” 240 Hz QLED Gaming Monitor Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Tanquen
  • 1 Post By Reddig
  • 1 Post By Mike Johnson 3
  • 1 Post By jskang

post #1 of 22 Old 06-15-2020, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Samsung Odyssey 32G7 32” 240 Hz QLED Gaming Monitor Review

Gaming monitors are hot category that continues to evolve at lightning speed. The Samsung 32G7 is a spectacular premium gaming monitor that offers 2560 x 1440 resolution, QLED display tech with HDR compatibility, a 240 Hz maximum refresh rate plus support for both Nvidia G-Sync and AMD FreeSync 2.

Click this link to read the review.

https://www.avsforum.com/wordpress/w...p-Choice-1.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-15-2020, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Good review.

My only comment would be to please include the HDR standard or Nits of brightness the display is capable of. Is it 400, 600, 1000? A lot of places seem to skip over this number and I don't understand why. I'd like to know what I'm paying for.

Thanks!

Drive Fast Take Chances
Speakers: Klipsch KLF 30's, Klipsch C-7, Klipsch RS-52, Klipsch RP-250S, Klipsch RP-140SA; Sub's: 2 x HSU VTF 3.3's
Receiver: Denon X7200; Bluray Player: Xbox One X
Projector: JVC RS440K; Screen: Elite Screens Sable Frame 100-inch 16:9
post #3 of 22 Old 06-15-2020, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked: 609
$800.00, nah Im good... ^^;; anything under 5ms is fine and you are fooling yourself if you can honestly say you can see a difference lol... this is just getting into the parting of fools money aspect of "gaming" tech which there is A LOT of that in the market. Is it a good monitor oh hell yes it is, will it make you a better gamer or needed to be a gamer big nope.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Pyle 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s + miniDSP 2x4HD (for Subs) Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, HTPC, nVidia Shield TV Pro, Hauppauge OTA DVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 06-15-2020, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVS Forum News & Reviews View Post
Gaming monitors are hot category that continues to evolve at lightning speed. The Samsung 32G7 is a spectacular premium gaming monitor that offers 2560 x 1440 resolution, QLED display tech with HDR compatibility, a 240 Hz maximum refresh rate plus support for both Nvidia G-Sync and AMD FreeSync 2.

Click this link to read the review.

https://www.avsforum.com/wordpress/w...p-Choice-1.jpg
You really should run this test, for black smearing. Take a photo while it is running, and post it.

https://www.testufo.com/ghosting
post #5 of 22 Old 06-15-2020, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Lightbulb

"The 32G7 gaming monitor features “Core lighting design” that lets you choose between 5 accent colors for a futuristic look"

Can you elaborate on what this is and how it works? I didn't find any more info at samsung.com under "monitors."
post #6 of 22 Old 06-15-2020, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 75
“I can’t think of any reason why somebody would purchase a non-gaming monitor, aside from saving a few bucks but severely sacrificing performance.”

You use your expensive display for more than gaming.
You understand that curved displays are just distorting the image.
You want 16x10 or 16x9.
You want a VESA mount.

I want to game on my display too and they all should have HDR, FreeSync and something more than 60Hrz.
Daniel Chaves likes this.

Last edited by Tanquen; 06-15-2020 at 08:45 PM.
post #7 of 22 Old 06-15-2020, 09:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanquen View Post
“I can’t think of any reason why somebody would purchase a non-gaming monitor, aside from saving a few bucks but severely sacrificing performance.”

You want 16x10 or 16x9.
You want a VESA mount.
Exactly.

JTR/JBL/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Monolith/Silver Ticket/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest/Harrison Labs/Roku
post #8 of 22 Old 06-16-2020, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanquen View Post

You want 16x10 or 16x9.
You want a VESA mount.

I want to game on my display too and they all should have HDR, FreeSync and something more than 60Hrz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post
Exactly.
No all gaming monitors are curved. You can buy a gaming monitor that meets your requirements.

Not true that the curve does nothing... With VA LCD curved screens maintain edge-to edge peak contrast by reducing off-axis PQ degradation.

Last edited by AVS Forum News & Reviews; 06-16-2020 at 04:44 AM.
post #9 of 22 Old 06-16-2020, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 1249
Quote:
No all gaming monitors are curved. You can buy a gaming monitor that meets your requirements.

Not true that the curve does nothing... With VA LCD curved screens maintain edge-to edge peak contrast by reducing off-axis PQ degradation.
The guy said he couldn't think of any reason why you wouldn't buy a gaming display. He gave a couple of reasons and I agreed. Thats all. A gaming display is not a necessity unless your current display is lagging something terrible even in the proper mode. I use an OLED and my buddy who is a serious COD online player comes over and has no problems doing just as good as he does on his LCD at home.

I personally don't get anything out of curved displays, or I should say that don't add anything to the experience for me. Ive yet to experience one that didn't degrade from the PQ. Im sure they are out there. Some of the bigger curved movie theater screens can be pretty cool. To each his own tho.

JTR/JBL/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Monolith/Silver Ticket/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest/Harrison Labs/Roku
post #10 of 22 Old 06-17-2020, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

One curved monitor is one too many. I can’t buy the monitor I want because too many are curved or cut in half, it’s ultra-wide for more money. The bare minimum features a modern display should have are not my requirements.

Yes, curving the display will do more than one thing but it will always distort the image. Maintain edge-to edge peak contrast? I don’t think anyone could ever notice something like that and the curves these displays have will never match your seating position in any meaningful way. Depending on the backlight most all displays have hot and cool zones that are more noticeable. You've fixed the edge-to edge peak contrast but now look at that awful color sift. :P Like when they tried this nonsense with TVs. It’ll help with reflections, no it don’t and so on. Too many of the folks that bought high end TVs were not taken in but unfortunately the gamer market likes this kind of stuff. Curved displays are the RGB of memory modules. At least at your desk you have a chance of being in the sweet spot but the curve is not right and even if it was, nothing is shot or rendered for it. You're just distorting the image a little bit.
post #11 of 22 Old 06-17-2020, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I pre-ordered an Odyssey G9 49" for my sim racing rig. I currently use VR and do not like using triple monitors. Regardless of what anyone says, this "curved extravagance" is worth a shot for sim racers.
jskang likes this.

JVC NX7, Paladin DCR, 125" 2.40:1 Seymour Center Stage UF w/masking
(previous: JVC 540/790, Epson 5040UBe,+more)
Sony 75XZ9D, 75X900E, 65X850C, 800E, Panny 4K, Plasma, & more...
(Previous: 65" 930E, 940D, LG 65" C7, 65" 900E, Samsungs, etc...)
speakers: Dynaudio M1's, M3A's, BM15A's, NS10's, dozens of Bryston amps
post #12 of 22 Old 06-18-2020, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Johnson 3 View Post
I pre-ordered an Odyssey G9 49" for my sim racing rig. I currently use VR and do not like using triple monitors. Regardless of what anyone says, this "curved extravagance" is worth a shot for sim racers.
The 49"s are all out of my price range and I'm limited in space. So, I'm looking at a 34" or 35" UWQHD for my next panel for sim racing.

A bit off the topic of the reviewed panel, but does anyone know if Samsung plans on coming out with a 21:9 panel for this Odyssey series?
Mike Johnson 3 likes this.
post #13 of 22 Old 06-22-2020, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 21
What kind of trash "review" is this?

You should check the ghosting for the VA panel. That is one of the most important things? This is not a "review" this is a paid advertisement.
post #14 of 22 Old 06-23-2020, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have the 27" CHG70 for my Xbox One X and I absolutely love this monitor matched with the Xbox One X. I had my eye on the 27" G7 when Samsung announced it, I was assuming since it's a new 2020 monitor being released 2nd half of 2020, it would for sure support HDMI 2.1 to take full advantage of the Xbox Series X. Very disappointed that it's HDMi 2.0, not worth upgrading from my CHG70.

Bummer Samsung.
post #15 of 22 Old 06-24-2020, 04:58 AM

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 160
AVS should really stop calling these articles as reviews. This is not a review.
post #16 of 22 Old 06-25-2020, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I really want to order the G9 variant of this, but Samsung has decided to not include a KVM, something every other manufacture (even at half the price) does. Sure, there will be a few gamers who buy this, but a lot of us are looking at this as work/game monitor and being able to switch/split screen between a Macbook and PC or work laptop and home desktop. This is going to be a much larger user base, based on the Reddit user-community. I'm not sure what they where thinking when their previous 49" ultrawide monitor's #1 criticism was its lack of KVM. People ended up buying LG or other brands because Samsung didn't listen to it's client base.
post #17 of 22 Old 06-25-2020, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I saw this online and have been looking for reviews since then. I only found the one done in Korea and one that says it has some backlight bleed but not much else to go off. I just want to know if there is ghosting, significant light bleed in HDR and if the HDR is actually worthwhile. I have seen other HDR monitors and all the reviews say the HDR in them is not worth it as the colors are not good enough.. this one is rated at HDR600 (HDR1000 for the G9) but the G9 is too large for me, and too expensive.

The other one I just looked up that is coming out as well is the new Dell S2721DGF which is 27" 1440p 165 hz but the HDR is rated 400 and price range looks to be around 550-600.. which is almost within the price range of this Samsung (27" version).
post #18 of 22 Old 07-06-2020, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post
$800.00, nah Im good... ^^;; anything under 5ms is fine and you are fooling yourself if you can honestly say you can see a difference lol... this is just getting into the parting of fools money aspect of "gaming" tech which there is A LOT of that in the market. Is it a good monitor oh hell yes it is, will it make you a better gamer or needed to be a gamer big nope.
Have I missed something, not sure what you mean by 5ms? Input lag? I did try and read the so called review again but can't see a reference to 5ms?
post #19 of 22 Old 07-06-2020, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellhk View Post
Have I missed something, not sure what you mean by 5ms? Input lag? I did try and read the so called review again but can't see a reference to 5ms?
My remark to 5ms is a general one from an optical stand point, once you are under 5ms the human eye cant make out a difference. So a monitor stating 1 or 2ms on paper is better than say a monitor that is 5ms but your human eyes will never see the difference so just save your money.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Pyle 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s + miniDSP 2x4HD (for Subs) Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, HTPC, nVidia Shield TV Pro, Hauppauge OTA DVR
post #20 of 22 Old 07-06-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
My remark to 5ms is a general one from an optical stand point, once you are under 5ms the human eye cant make out a difference. So a monitor stating 1 or 2ms on paper is better than say a monitor that is 5ms but your human eyes will never see the difference so just save your money.
I have to say, I completely disagree and I'm not sure what your source is, or why you're quoting 5ms. Digital displays (quite literally) can't always be compared to optical vision in reality. Plus, the specs are normally exaggerated.

People forget about refresh rates, pixel transition times, motion blur, persistence, lines of resolution, overdrive artifacts etc. etc. The world isn't rendered at some arbitrary refresh rate and doesn't have a response time that can be measured in ms.

Point being, there are many benefits to 'fast gaming displays' which can be noticed even with the naked eye.
post #21 of 22 Old 07-06-2020, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellhk View Post
I have to say, I completely disagree and I'm not sure what your source is, or why you're quoting 5ms. Digital displays (quite literally) can't always be compared to optical vision in reality. Plus, the specs are normally exaggerated.

People forget about refresh rates, pixel transition times, motion blur, persistence, lines of resolution, overdrive artifacts etc. etc. The world isn't rendered at some arbitrary refresh rate and doesn't have a response time that can be measured in ms.

Point being, there are many benefits to 'fast gaming displays' which can be noticed even with the naked eye.
Response time is the time it takes your monitor to shift from one color to another. refresh rate is the number of times a screen displays a new image every second, so again anything under 5ms which relates to a monitors response time is not distinguishable by the human eye so again your just throwing your money away if that is the only main difference when looking at monitors and since this monitors specs is pretty on par with many other monitors and the only thing going for it is super low response time, you are just throwing money away.

post #22 of 22 Old 07-07-2020, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Response time is the time it takes your monitor to shift from one color to another. refresh rate is the number of times a screen displays a new image every second, so again anything under 5ms which relates to a monitors response time is not distinguishable by the human eye so again your just throwing your money away if that is the only main difference when looking at monitors and since this monitors specs is pretty on par with many other monitors and the only thing going for it is super low response time, you are just throwing money away.
I know exactly what the numbers mean, I also know that the quoted figures are also normally misleading and I know why. To be honest it doesn't sound like you know a lot about monitors or human vision. It just sounds like you just think manufacturers are trying to con people by using the 'gaming' tag.

The subject is actually very complicated.

https://blurbusters.com/ultra-hfr-24...0fps-tomorrow/
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tests...-response-time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
g-sync , gaming monitor , odyssey 32g7 , qled

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page