2020 Hisense H9G series 55" & 65" Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

post #31 of 196 Old 06-29-2020, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1195 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsilicon View Post
Assuming you mean Costco Canada? I've only seen lower end Hisense models in store and the H8F online in the US. You guys are lucky if you can get it in Costco. The 90 days is a no brainier at 55". 65" may be a bit more schlep, but nothing like 75"+.
In Canada, the H9G is branded the Q9G and it can be had at Costco. So it is a relatively low risk purchase to buy from there.

I think the Hisense is more fun than the Sony. I just worry that it might become too tiring to watch over the long term.

I want to hear from more actual Q9G owners, preferably from those that play video games using its dedicated game mode. What does it look like? Do you have any artifacting when playing games...etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 196 Old 06-29-2020, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I haven't seen any of the blooming or banding that is being brought up in various discussions on my 65H9G...
....then again I'm not judging the picture quality of my set on substandard Youtube videos......
If you see such things as banding and blooming on a video with a 750 kb bitrate, well, what do you expect to see ? Perfection ?

I can just say that with a good bluray or UHD source, this set just screams quality picture. And gaming is damn near perfection. And best of all I have zero DSE, which my H9F had plenty of.....either I was lucky or they really went to lengths to address the issue...

Last edited by isolar8001; 06-29-2020 at 03:14 PM.
post #33 of 196 Old 06-29-2020, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Those YouTube videos are not of low quality. On the contrary, some of the 4K HDR demo content available on YouTube is amongst the best you will ever see. Try playing some HDR videos from these channels for some great HDR demo goodness:

https://www.youtube.com/c/JacobKatieSchwarz/videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCve...GBI5t9g/videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ1...6qb1XEazL-y0rQ

And I uploaded my own videos to YouTube to do my own testing of the TV. But, yes, I had to deal with viewing them at a lower resolution when doing this test for two hours at a retail store using Wi-Fi. So it was far from scientific. Thus, I remained undecided and open to conclusions.

So why the contradiction in reported local dimming performance? Do you deny that blooming with HDR highlights is any kind of problem on this H9G? What picture modes do you use with HDR content?

As far as screen uniformity goes, I also viewed a 65H9G that looked as good as it gets when running the spectrum of gray shades from 5% gray to 100% white. The Sony looked no better or worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 196 Old 06-29-2020, 04:08 PM

Yes there are higher quality videos on Youtube...
....but those are not the videos being used when some are evaluating the set.
So far I've seen evaluations done with sub par game demos mostly. (QuantumTV was loading a game vid from his PS4 on his test...maybe it's the PS4 menu that's aiding blooming)
And always remember that even the best Youtube videos have been reencoded, and I'm sure they are not real concerned about how they end up. On my pc, I see banding on many of them and that banding is from slapshot encoding. And most importantly, how can a Youtube vid that says it 4K HDR really be that when the color primaries are BT 709? I just checked about 10 of the biggest videos and found that out.....forgive me, I'm not a streamer....I only deal in pure files.

Once real reviews of this set come out we will have a better feel for what it can do....I just know what my eyes tell me after 50 years of set evaluation. (I even had a Sony 32 inch Trinitron monitor in the 80's...now that was top of the line!)

I use HDR theatre mostly...I'm just not seeing any blooming that jumps out at me. Maybe if the brightness and contrast are set too high it's surely possible.

.and yeah, I'm 64 and play Borderlands everyday !

Last edited by isolar8001; 06-29-2020 at 04:33 PM.
post #35 of 196 Old 06-29-2020, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 43
1 55" available on Amazon. These seem to be trickling in in small quantities. Might also explain the limited number of owners so far. I hope the big box store get stock for July 4th weekend. I'm waiting for BB so I can return if I get a less than optimal screen. Also scared of the reports of damaged shipments from Amazon.

Seems Canada has better stock with the report of availability in Costco for the Q9G.

Grrr, now changed to in stock on July 30th. Hope that is not when this will be available at BB.

Last edited by sfsilicon; 06-29-2020 at 06:44 PM.
post #36 of 196 Old 06-29-2020, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Assuming you mean Costco Canada? I've only seen lower end Hisense models in store and the H8F online in the US. You guys are lucky if you can get it in Costco. The 90 days is a no brainier at 55". 65" may be a bit more schlep, but nothing like 75"+.

Have you read the comments of the Quantum video? Found this:

and this...
Quantum uses HDR Vivid with random terrible custom settings and then tries to sell his overblown nonsense to people for $5.
post #37 of 196 Old 06-29-2020, 09:03 PM

Good luck to all of you getting an H9G.....my first one from Amazon 65H9G came broken and of course they had no more....took 9 days for a refund, but by pure luck Best Buy had them for $899...that one came and is perfect !

Since I've had this set and my H9F I've never seen Dolby Vision, as I understand there really isn't much to be seen. Hardly any movies have it, and after a short search I discovered Amazon Prime has a few series with DV...
...Season 1 of Jack Ryan and Season 2 of Bosch.

Jack Ryan looked damn nice ! First time Dolby Vision ever came up in my picture menu....Bosch looked like pure doggy poop ! That show looked like it was filmed with an 80's camcorder...grainy as hell and dull. All Dolby Vision did was make poor filming look even worse....No set will make that mess look good. (probably a good show though)
post #38 of 196 Old 06-30-2020, 12:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dolby Vision and HDR10 can look identical to the eye at first glance. But because Dolby Vision prioritizes preserving all specular highlight detail in each scene, some content can look a little darker than HDR10 because of Dolby Vision's more aggressive tone mapping. Some people might prefer this look because the image ends up with a little more color saturation and detail as a result. Dolby Vision content will also have the most accurate color because of Dolby's superior gamut mapping.

The H9G is known to clip some specular highlight detail in the brightest scenes. So Dolby Vision does have the benefit on this TV of bringing back specular highlight detail that might otherwise be lost to the TV's generic and static HDR10 tone curve. Dolby Vision includes scene-by-scene color grading and tone mapping instructions for each scene.

4K HDR TV content can be hit or miss, and a lot of it is still graded to be too dark for daytime viewing. In that case, you might want to choose Dolby Vision Bright over Dolby Vision Dark.

Plenty of Dolby Vision content exists if you know where to look. There is the Dolby Channel in the app store for free demos that show what Dolby Vision color grading looks like. Netflix TV shows are all graded in Dolby Vision. And Vudu and Apple TV rent and sell most of its HDR movies in Dolby Vision.
post #39 of 196 Old 06-30-2020, 03:52 AM

Thanks for the Dolby Vision advice Onkyoman (love that name)

If I was inclined to be a streamer I guess I would have a lot more options on the DV front, but I just really don't like streaming....goes against my lifelong motto of "start with the best source"

Unfortunately, this seems to be the way things are going with the demise of physical medium.

One other really nice feature of the H9G is the updated audio menu...there is now a "passthrough" option for audio output...just hope that it is a pure output. So far with my H9G feeding my audio system it works just fine.
post #40 of 196 Old 06-30-2020, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahgod View Post
Quantum uses HDR Vivid with random terrible custom settings and then tries to sell his overblown nonsense to people for $5.

He seems to be catering to the gaming crowd. All the demos and reviews lean in that direction. Don't be surprised if your $5 gets you purple skies.
isolar8001 likes this.
post #41 of 196 Old 06-30-2020, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isolar8001 View Post
Thanks for the Dolby Vision advice Onkyoman (love that name)

If I was inclined to be a streamer I guess I would have a lot more options on the DV front, but I just really don't like streaming....goes against my lifelong motto of "start with the best source"

Unfortunately, this seems to be the way things are going with the demise of physical medium.

One other really nice feature of the H9G is the updated audio menu...there is now a "passthrough" option for audio output...just hope that it is a pure output. So far with my H9G feeding my audio system it works just fine.
If you are connected to your audio system with an optical or HDMI ARC connection, the signal will always remain lossless if it is not converted to another audio format by the TV, such as Dolby Digital, before reaching the DAC (Digital-to-Analog Converter) found in your sound system.

So the passthrough option should simply eliminate any intermediate conversion to another digital audio codec.
post #42 of 196 Old 06-30-2020, 08:57 AM

"So the passthrough option should simply eliminate any intermediate conversion to another digital audio codec"

That's correct.....and it's something the H9F didn't have..

...I could never figure out why Hisense wanted the audio output to be processed. The H9F only had PCM, Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus (which I wouldn't let my dog listen to...if I had a dog) ...only PCM passed an unaltered signal. So I'm really glad they did this with passthrough....There is also an "Auto" setting.
post #43 of 196 Old 06-30-2020, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkyoman View Post
In Canada, the H9G is branded the Q9G and it can be had at Costco. So it is a relatively low risk purchase to buy from there.

I think the Hisense is more fun than the Sony. I just worry that it might become too tiring to watch over the long term.

I want to hear from more actual Q9G owners, preferably from those that play video games using its dedicated game mode. What does it look like? Do you have any artifacting when playing games...etc.
Quantum's latest videos are reviewing X900H. Maybe we'll get a H9G vs X900H side by side soon. The X900H is a bit too pricy for me application (computer monitor + streaming videos). Banding on X900H sounds like a problem and not as bright <1k nits. I guess its banding vs blooming and price.
post #44 of 196 Old 06-30-2020, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Don't know the vendor, but 65" is in stock. Good luck. Info via reddit.

https://www.electronicexpress.com/se...G&keywords=H9G

---

r/Hisense
•Posted byu/dpizzle
3 hours ago
Hisense H9G In Stock at Electronic Express. Use coupon code "JUN5" to save 5%. For me, no tax was levied and final price was $949.000 w/free shipping. Used Amazon Checkout. HOP ON IT!
post #45 of 196 Old 06-30-2020, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quantum's latest videos are reviewing X900H. Maybe we'll get a H9G vs X900H side by side soon. The X900H is a bit too pricy for me application (computer monitor + streaming videos). Banding on X900H sounds like a problem and not as bright <1k nits. I guess its banding vs blooming and price.
Someone should revoke his status as an expert. He is calling compression artifacts in YouTube a "banding problem" that somehow evaded Sony quality control. As much as I don't like Digital Trends, they did the X900H far more justice in their review. They said the X900H competes with models that cost $1,000 more. Probably not, but that is probably closer to reality.

When Sony TVs are known as having the best, not worst, gradient performance amongst TVs, you know this guy is not helping you choose a good TV with his testimony. I think he has helped me understand that YouTube is not the most reliable input source for judging TV artifacting and that he often has no idea what he is talking about. Smooth Gradation is a feature that should used by almost no one but him when playing YouTube videos.
post #46 of 196 Old 06-30-2020, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

55" back in stock at Amazon. Order today for delivery July 8, 2020. Good luck!

6/30 10:24PM: Checked Amazon again and the 55" is not available again. Did they sell out of the stock that was coming in already?

Last edited by sfsilicon; 06-30-2020 at 10:25 PM.
post #47 of 196 Old 06-30-2020, 01:53 PM

Don't know the vendor, but 65" is in stock. Good luck. Info via reddit.

https://www.electronicexpress.com/se...G&keywords=H9G

They are saying the list price on the 65H9G is $1499.....its $999...shady advertising.
post #48 of 196 Old 06-30-2020, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello,

This is my first post here and I was looking to get some insight that's not readily available elsewhere on the web.

The Hisense support pages do not say anything about Chromecast being built-in to the Q7809 product line.

However, in one or two other places people have mentioned using the Chromecast feature.

Can anyone confirm or deny whether this model or line of models does indeed have Chromecast built-in?

All input is appreciated!
post #49 of 196 Old 06-30-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waqqas S. Khokhar View Post
Hello,

This is my first post here and I was looking to get some insight that's not readily available elsewhere on the web.

The Hisense support pages do not say anything about Chromecast being built-in to the Q7809 product line.

However, in one or two other places people have mentioned using the Chromecast feature.

Can anyone confirm or deny whether this model or line of models does indeed have Chromecast built-in?

All input is appreciated!
Yes, it does and seems to work fine.
Waqqas S. Khokhar likes this.
post #50 of 196 Old 06-30-2020, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waqqas S. Khokhar View Post
Listed on the bottom right of their product brochure here.

I think Chromecast is a standard feature of Google's Android TV.

A question to owners, does it support full 4k mirroring or less?
Waqqas S. Khokhar likes this.
post #51 of 196 Old 06-30-2020, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

New H9G video from Tecnomeitor 2020

post #52 of 196 Old 06-30-2020, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Someone should revoke his status as an expert. He is calling compression artifacts in YouTube a "banding problem" that somehow evaded Sony quality control. As much as I don't like Digital Trends, they did the X900H far more justice in their review. They said the X900H competes with models that cost $1,000 more. Probably not, but that is probably closer to reality.

When Sony TVs are known as having the best, not worst, gradient performance amongst TVs, you know this guy is not helping you choose a good TV with his testimony. I think he has helped me understand that YouTube is not the most reliable input source for judging TV artifacting and that he often has no idea what he is talking about. Smooth Gradation is a feature that should used by almost no one but him when playing YouTube videos.

Side by side of the X900H and H9G. Won't bug you after this.

post #53 of 196 Old 07-01-2020, 02:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You should stop posting videos from QUANTUM TV. I think he is dishonest and manipulates these comparisons just to start rumours on the Web that a certain highly-vaunted TV has banding problems, blooming problems, or whatever else and be first to the presses with this information to ensure it is openly discussed and spread around on these forums and create doubt in the minds of those looking to purchase these TVs. I noticed the Sony banding problem was already brought up in the Sony thread.

I do not think there is a banding problem on the Sony X900H and he knows this. The Hisense is likely a better TV than the Sony, however.
rockaway1836 likes this.
post #54 of 196 Old 07-01-2020, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 3
The best way to recreate banding quantum brought up is playing same scene with same source on the most capable anti banding tv panel. When it looks the same.. then his view is not valid. Otherwise, we are not valid until we test.
post #55 of 196 Old 07-01-2020, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You should stop posting videos from QUANTUM TV. I think he is dishonest and manipulates these comparisons just to start rumours on the Web that a certain highly-vaunted TV has banding problems, blooming problems, or whatever else and be first to the presses with this information to ensure it is openly discussed and spread around on these forums and create doubt in the minds of those looking to purchase these TVs. I noticed the Sony banding problem was already brought up in the Sony thread.

I do not think there is a banding problem on the Sony X900H and he knows this. The Hisense is likely a better TV than the Sony, however.

Noted. Just closing the loop in regards to a side by side comparison of the X900H and H9G. Not looking to argue, just collecting information till I can get my own H9G. Set seems to be in early production (65" in BB = GOOD, Amazon trickle = BAD) with few hundreds of sets in the USA. So might be a while till we get more data points from owners. For some reason Canada supply seems better or maybe US demand too hot? Hope July 4th is when this set becomes more available in both 55" and 65".

Last edited by sfsilicon; 07-01-2020 at 07:34 AM.
post #56 of 196 Old 07-01-2020, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I recently found Quantum on youtube and I have watched quiet a few of his videos and have been on the fence of if he was honest or not. I don't know alot about tvs and I always wonder if he makes the hisense look better than whatever he is comparing it too. Who would you recommend on youtube to watch reviews? Quantum does make a good point in one video about how some youtubers review tvs that are given to them/ paid by the maker of the tv so I'm sure they do give them a better review even if they aren't the best tvs out there.
post #57 of 196 Old 07-01-2020, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjballar41 View Post
I recently found Quantum on youtube and I have watched quiet a few of his videos and have been on the fence of if he was honest or not. I don't know alot about tvs and I always wonder if he makes the hisense look better than whatever he is comparing it too. Who would you recommend on youtube to watch reviews? Quantum does make a good point in one video about how some youtubers review tvs that are given to them/ paid by the maker of the tv so I'm sure they do give them a better review even if they aren't the best tvs out there.
On Youtube check out Stop the Fomo his reviews seem to be pretty honest but he doesn't have one yet for the H9G. Otherwise, Rtings is dependable but not all their reviews are on Youtube.
shiboboo and bjballar41 like this.
post #58 of 196 Old 07-01-2020, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is a respectable channel with an actual calibrator and expert who will explain the technical ins-and-outs of TVs, not just provide his subjective opinion on which TV looks the best:

Link: HDTVTest
bjballar41 likes this.
post #59 of 196 Old 07-01-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:

I honestly think Quantum is just a mess as a human. Hes more of a ranting lunatic than dishonest.

The only reason I put any weight on his opinion is because of his Vizio PQX reviews. He had the SAME exact outlook on the TVs overall usability as I felt after using it for nearly 3 months. Very few other people felt the same way. So maybe our exceptions are similar.
post #60 of 196 Old 07-01-2020, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
I check out.

Stop the FOMO
Rtings
Digital trends
HDTVTEST
VillaMan
ABT
Whisper status 74
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version