2020 Hisense H9G series 55" & 65" Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

post #1 of 196 Old 06-24-2020, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 43
2020 Hisense H9G series 55" & 65" Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Starting thread. Most folks know last years H9F which was Hisense's 1st quantum dot TV. I almost bought the H9F but waited too long for the price to drop till it was eventually replaced by the H9G. Initial user information is that it is at least as good as the H9F if not better. I'm hoping that Hisense has learned and improved on the manufacturing and quality as well this being the 2nd model / follow on product. Did see some reports of dirty screen effect and initial shipments being delivered broken. Hope these are just early pains. Hope folks can share their experiences and calibration settings to get the most out of this TV. Online and brick & mortar retailers have received shipments both in the USA and Canada.

Planning to pick up the 55" when it is back in stock. Replacing a 43" LG UJ6300 which I use as a PC monitor. Was hoping for something smaller, but 1000 nits and more dimming zones sold me to get this over the H8G. This will be my first Quantum Dot TV.

---

Manufacturer website: https://www.hisense-usa.com/televisi...-smart-tv-2020
Series: 2020 H9G Quantum Series
Models: USA - 55" 55H9G, 65" 65H9G, Canada - 55" 55Q9G, 65" 65Q9G
Product Availability: June 2020

Key Specs:
  • Display Type: LED
  • Resolution: 4K (2160p)
  • High Dynamic Range Format: Dolby Vision, HDR 10, Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG), HDR 10+
  • Backlight Type: Full array, up to 180 local dimming zones (65"), 132 (55")
  • Peak brightness: 1000 nits
  • Refresh Rate: 120Hz native panel
  • Specific Manufacturer Technologies: Noise Reduction, Quantum Dots, Wide Color Gamut
  • Smart Platform: Android TV
  • Number of HDMI Inputs: 4 HDMI 2.0b (does not support HDMI 2.1)
  • Voice Assistant Built-in: Google Assistant
  • Warranty: 1 year parts and labor
---

Product Datasheet / Brochures

Canadian spec sheet - we call all Quantum Dot models the Q-series instead of the H-series (Source: HisenseCA)

Last edited by sfsilicon; 07-10-2020 at 07:33 AM. Reason: add links to Hisense product page and support
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 196 Old 06-24-2020, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Settings:
Review sites (No reviews yet):
  • digitaltrends
  • rtings

Youtube:
Owner Impressions:

Last edited by sfsilicon; 07-10-2020 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Move website reviews to this post.
post #3 of 196 Old 06-24-2020, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

FAQ, Tips, Known Issues:
  1. Q: How to check if a HDR source is playing?
    A: Hit menu button on remote > Help > Signal information > HDR = ON/OFF
  2. Q: How to turn on HDR on Windows 10 PC
    A: Make sure "Enhanced HDMI" is on for the input your PC is connected to. Then turn on HDR in Windows 10 display settings.
    -> sfsilicon, ffejufo
  3. Q: I'm only seeing 2.4GHz WiFi networks, how do I connect to my 5GHz WiFi?
    A: Check what 5GHz WiFi channel is set in your router. The H9G WiFi adapter or Google TV doesn't seem to support the higher 5GHz channels. Try setting your to channel 40.
  4. Slow IR remote? Turn Bluetooth and manual pairing.
    -> tommy7154, sfsilicon
  5. Panel adhesive issues
    -> Yawny, Steven A. Purpora on Amazo

Last edited by sfsilicon; 07-10-2020 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Changed to FAQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 196 Old 06-25-2020, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

65" back in stock at BB. >> correction sold out again.

I've seen stock of the 65" H9G on Amazon and Best Buy but both are currently sold out. Amazon also had the 55" briefly. BB is coming soon.

Walmart might be a potential retailer since they are selling the H8G. Costco is only selling older (H8F) model, no idea when/if they will carry the H9G.

Was available in Canada end of May/early June. Here is an older thread on this - https://www.reddit.com/r/Hisense/com...e_h9g_will_be/

Be careful regarding purchase online. See this about breakage due to shipping - https://www.reddit.com/r/Hisense/com...rrived_broken/. Could also be related to packaging or handling by specific online retailers.

Last edited by sfsilicon; 06-25-2020 at 08:26 AM.
post #5 of 196 Old 06-25-2020, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 85
The 55" is in-stock at Amazon as of this post
post #6 of 196 Old 06-25-2020, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM2006RI View Post
The 55" is in-stock at Amazon as of this post
Did you buy one? I checked Amazon and it was sold out as of this post.
post #7 of 196 Old 06-25-2020, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I've had the 55 for a couple of days now, has a real nice picture and the highlights in HDR and Dolby Vision are really nice.
post #8 of 196 Old 06-25-2020, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0hwell View Post
I've had the 55 for a couple of days now, has a real nice picture and the highlights in HDR and Dolby Vision are really nice.
Congratulations! The initial videos and comparisons look promising. I was sold on the H9F so was just waiting for owners to post if the H9G was similar or better.
post #9 of 196 Old 06-25-2020, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 26
any recommended picture settings ?
post #10 of 196 Old 06-25-2020, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy202022 View Post
any recommended picture settings ?
Haven't seen anything shared publicly yet. Maybe some the owners that read this can help.

Only place I've seen settings is from Quantum. I'm not endorsing him in anyway, but if your desperate enough check the comments on one of his H9G videos.

Last edited by sfsilicon; 06-25-2020 at 04:14 PM.
post #11 of 196 Old 06-25-2020, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'm still playing with the settings on mine but for now, I am using theater day, turned off all noise reduction, set picture size to direct, turned the backlight down to 90 then turned on the light sensor. I set the color space to auto and pretty much left everything else as is. HDR I used HDR theater turned off all noise reduction and left everything else as is. Dolby Vision I have used both Dolby Bright and Dolby Dark with all noise reduction turned off and left everything else as is. Most of the other presets are way brighter than I like and the color temps aren't too pleasing to me, but as I said I'm still playing with the settings.
post #12 of 196 Old 06-26-2020, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

John Madrid
Here's a quick video on viewing angles. There is a very noticeable loss of color at any angle more than 20° from center.
post #13 of 196 Old 06-26-2020, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
So I got this TV on Tuesday and its pretty incredible!

Like many folks doing extensive research, I Knew TCL and Hisense are really hitting it out of the park. Every year now for the past 2 or 3 years these 2 companies have been giving the big brands a run for the money. Its exciting times right now for affordable TV's! So when I saw the 65" in stock on Best Buy with free in home delivery I decided to take a gamble. Man it paid off in spades! I was originally going to wait until reviews came out but I couldn't resist. Plus now its sold out everywhere so I'm so glad I got it when I did.

So far I have "calibrated" my display using the old antiquated THX app for iOS. I'm pretty sure its available for Android as well. This has gotten me probably 90% to where it needs to be in terms of accuracy. Here are my picture settings:

Theater day
Backlight: Local dimming=High, Brightness=75 (pick the brightness that works for you and the room your in), Automatic light sensor=off

Contrast=44
Brightness=53
Color=50
Tint=0
Sharpness=0

Advanced settings:
Overscan=off
Color temp=mid/low
Motion enhance=off (or set to what effect looks best for you if you like more of a soap opera effect)
Motion clearness=off
Noise reduction=off
Digital noise reduction=off
Active contrast=off
Color space=auto

I'm still undecided on color temp. The low setting almost has too much of a yellow cast to it for my eyes, and the mid/low setting might be a little too cool/white. So far I'm using theater day for daytime use and have set theater night with the same presets as theater day but on the low color temp setting.

I still think colors might be a bit too saturated but this is close in my eyes to perfect. Sometimes certain colors like red can look a little too saturated/sharp. But I think most people would be happy with these settings.

Also if you do decide to use the THX app be sure to check the display settings on your phone. You will want to turn off any night time color shift modes as well as True Tone (iOS). Also be sure to set brightness on your phone screen to the max. This is because the THX app uses your phone camera with a red filter to dial in the color and you will want your phone display to be as neutral and as accurate as possible.

So like I said before I think these settings get at least 90% of the way there for accuracy. But obviously YMMV.
Give these settings a try and see what you think.
sfsilicon and shiboboo like this.
post #14 of 196 Old 06-27-2020, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

C M
Just purchased the 65 Hisense H9G/Q9G and I’m at a loss for words for a tv I paid $899 for. Anyways this is the general settings I use personally. The only thing I ever alter is Backlight, Contrast, or Brightness depending on what I’m watching or if it’s night etc.

• Theater Night
  • Backlight:70
  • Local Dimming:High
  • Contrast:40
  • Brightness:41
  • Color:46
  • Tint:0
  • Sharpness:5
  • Color Temp:Med-low
  • Motion Enhancement:Clear
  • Motion Control:Off (it’s awful on)
  • Noise R:Off
  • DNR:Off
  • Active C:Off
  • R:2,-2,0
  • G:0,1,-1
  • B:0,1,0
  • Y:-1,2,0
  • C:0,0,0
  • M:0-1-1
  • F:0,0,0
  • White Balance(2P):1,0,-1,1,0,0
  • Gamma:2.4
Now this works best for me. *Note some people have said there may be a difference in settings between the 55 and 65. I have the 65.

I found the Smooth motion control to affect picture quality too much but on older movies/shows I may use Film or just turn it off altogether but I use Clear 95% of the time.

This thing gets bright. No vignetting. Very minimal DSE. There is some banding but with the right settings it’s rarely noticeable.

I posted a video to YouTube for the first time just to share about this TV and maybe get some people to see the same thing I’ve been seeing.

---

Tecnomeitor 2020
Unboxing de pantalla Hiense H9G completamente nueva, en este video podrás ver la configuración inicial de la televisión, así como su calidad de imagen con ayuda de una demo 4k.

Last edited by sfsilicon; 06-27-2020 at 06:47 AM.
post #15 of 196 Old 06-27-2020, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

rtings has the H9G on their "Vote for next review TV" suggestion page. Add your vote so this gets added to their review queue.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/suggestions

515 votes - Hisense H9G - In position to win
195 votes - LG BX OLED
164 votes - LG GX
gordojones88 likes this.

Last edited by sfsilicon; 06-28-2020 at 01:07 PM.
post #16 of 196 Old 06-28-2020, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

20 left @ Amazon 65" as of this posting. Sadly 65" won't fit for my application.

7:27am PST: 18 left.
8:49am PST: 9 left.
1:03pm PST: 0 left.

Lol, things I do to keep busy while waiting for a 55"

Last edited by sfsilicon; 06-28-2020 at 01:08 PM.
post #17 of 196 Old 06-28-2020, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

HDR impressions. Small logo / highlight blooming = deal breaker?

post #18 of 196 Old 06-28-2020, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsilicon View Post
20 left @ Amazon 65" as of this posting. Sadly 65" won't fit for my application.

Yeah, I've been watching and waiting too. Congrats to those who were able to order. Unfortunately Amazon won't ship me either size due to my location. Weird because they would ship me the 65" H9F before they ran out, but not the 55", go figure. I wanted to wait for the H9G anyway. I would have jumped on the 55" H9G at the price they were offering...
post #19 of 196 Old 06-28-2020, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsilicon View Post

Been waiting for the 55" inch as well but got impatient and grab the 65" instead. As of this afternoon when I purchased it there was 5 left.
post #20 of 196 Old 06-29-2020, 04:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1195 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Can some Hisense H9G and veteran H9F owners help me out with my TV purchase dilemma?

I am purchasing a TV as my new gaming monitor. The TV will also see some use with regular television programming and the odd movie with gaming headphones on. But its primary usage case is for HDR and SDR video games, with smooth and artifact-free PS4 Pro HDR10 gaming being a priority.

I started out by giving a budget HDR light cannon a chance by purchasing a TCL 55R615. To my surprise, the picture quality was very good, particularly in HDR mode and with HDR gaming. Not the quality that you would expect from a relatively cheap TV! However, before my 30 day return window with Best Buy expired, I ended up returning it.

These were my gripes with the TCL 6 Series:

- Dirty Screen Effect: Despite claims of a panel lottery, both of the TCL 6 series that I tried had some amount of DSE on the edges of the screen and some vertical banding in different places in the center of the screen area. I now understand there is no such thing as a perfectly "clean" TCL and this is something you have to live with as a current 6 Series owner.

Now I had never heard of the dirty screen effect until purchasing the 6 series. If I only watched TV and movies, I don't think I would have overly objected and would have kept the TV, as this artifact rarely reared its ugly head. However, the DSE was painfully obvious when playing any video game with an open world environment, especially at the top of the screen where the sky is rendered in delicate, light blue shades. It is like looking through a windshield or through a cataract. It completely destroyed the immersion of the open world. I've seen better panels and I decided not to live with the poor screen uniformity of the TCL 6 Series for playing video games.

- Motion: The 60Hz panel of the TCL 6 Series and its subpar motion rendering were the ultimate deal breakers for me. Again, for TV and movies, I found the motion performance of the TCL to be passable. But for video games, which are far more demanding of a TV's ability to render motion, the TCL suffered from a moire effect and some obvious blurring of the image when panning the camera around. I am sitting a mere 2.28 meters from a 55" screen and any image artifacts are made more apparent from this viewing distance. The TCL couldn't cut the mustard for smooth motion and comfortable gaming.

My second TV purchase to replace the TCL 6 Series was a Sony X900F on clearance. The X900F cured the dirty screen effect: grayscale slides revealed a perfectly clean panel and the vaunted Sony motion performance was indeed evident compared to the TCL. However, the Sony again failed to stay in my house due to a new gripe:

- HDR Performance: Compared to HDR on the TCL 6 Series, HDR on the Sony X900F was bland and boring and didn't look that much different than SDR. This can largely be attributed to Sony's more natural and subdued approach to image processing as well as some issues with the X900F's EOTF tracking in HDR mode. The average HDR performance of the Sony was also almost certainly a side effect of the much lower number of local dimming zones used by current Sony LEDs compared to TCL and Hisense that have difficulty isolating small specular highlights while maintaining deep black levels and high contrast at the same time. Basically, I found the Sony's HDR boring, like it had taken the HDR right out of the picture.

So fast forwarding to today, I have now moved my gaming TV purchase decision to two newer models. I am deciding between these two sets that feature similar, or at least comparable, pricing:

- Hisense 55Q9G
- Sony 55X900H

I have viewed both sets in a local store, ran my screen uniformity tests and HDR demo videos through the display's internal YouTube app and know the ins and outs of each set. Unfortunately, each has its own set of tradeoffs.

Hisense Q9G:

Pros:

- Contrast and Brightness: This TV has the ability to make you say "Wow" due to its fantastic combination of contrast, brightness and color saturation. Is it 100% faithful to the creator's intent in all cases? Probably not in all cases, but it comes the closest of the TVs I've tested to matching the contrast performance and wow factor of a more expensive OLED panel. HDR, in particular, looks really good and this high-contrast, "color pop" appearance is ideal for stylized video games. This alone keeps me interested in Hisense.

- Motion: While I feel Sony still does a better job with motion handling, the Hisense Q9G appears very smooth in motion and is far better equipped with its 120 Hz panel to handle the demands of twitchy video games compared to the TCL 6 Series. From my brief viewing, I don't think I'd object to Hisense's motion handling for games, movies or TV.

- Screen Uniformity: I think Hisense may have made incredible progress this year in improving overall or average screen uniformity from panel-to-panel. I ran extensive dirty screen tests on an in-store Hisense 65H9G using grayscale slides and hand-picked dirty screen torture test clips and the 65H9G I tested appeared to have no significant issues with gray uniformity and the panel appeared to be just as clean as the nearby Sony X900H that was also tested. The LED panel was very uniform across all shades of gray.

Grays on the 65H9G were rendered without any signs of vignetting on the outside of the screen borders and the middle of the screen appeared to be devoid of any significant vertical banding. I didn't, however, have the opportunity to turn down the lights and test black uniformity, but at 15% gray, the panel remained perfectly uniform. Like all LED panels, small imperfections in the panel were still present, but nothing as bad as the TCL 6 Series that would be noticeable during most normal content viewing or gaming. Kudos to Hisense for vastly improving screen uniformity and addressing this major flaw of the H9F.

- Sound: Surprisingly, the Q9G had better sound than the Sony X900H. It manages to have a little extra bass and was more than acceptable for watching TV. Most of my use of this TV will be with gaming headphones on, but I'd still like to be able to watch the local news on this TV with acceptable sound quality. The TV also has the option to apply an audio delay and adjust the lip sync for external devices such as headphones, soundbars or speakers. Nice.

Cons:

- Blooming and Color Banding: This is the current deal breaker for me. I am referring to this video that was posted here:

Edit (Disclaimer): Check out this video below from QUANTUM TV. I don't think this YouTuber can be trusted. He doesn't appear to be honest and it seems likely the blooming issue with the Hisense H9G doesn't exist or is overblown. I think I was manipulated by an expert YouTuber who wanted some attention:

I have been able to confirm the presence of this blooming in-person. This was my torture test video from Horizon Zero Dawn in HDR that has some mild blooming already present around the many small specular highlights. The H9G multiplies the pain by adding additional blooming to each of the highlights in the video. This is most apparent during the underground cave sequence with the little girl where the dark cave is lit up by many small, bright blue and purple highlights that show obvious and ugly blooming artifacts on the H9G that were not present on the Sony X900H:

My questions for H9G owners:

If you play this video in YouTube, do you see the blooming in Horizon Zero Dawn that I see? How often does this blooming rear its ugly head when HDR gaming, or when gaming in general? Is the blooming present for other types of content?

I find the blooming around small highlights very distracting. I could see obvious halos around specular highlights in the three HDR game clips that I had with me where dark environments and bright highlights were rendered together.

Do you believe the obvious blooming around small specular highlights and the very poor local dimming performance of the H9G are in fact potential reasons to avoid purchasing this TV?

Quality Control and Bugs: This is more of a nitpick and a general opinion of the current state of Hisense TVs based on extensive research and personal opinion. Hisense is known to have more defective panels, quality control issues and generally subpar video processing compared to its competitors. Sources such as Consumer Reports that tabulate warranty claims and consumer complaints seem to confirm this.

The poor video processing and inconsistency in panel quality point to poor software engineering and manufacturing issues at Hisense. When testing the internal YouTube app, for instance, one of my videos would not play in HDR, but would play correctly on both the Sony and TCL. I question whether obvious bugs such as this or the poor local dimming performance of the H9G can or will be corrected by future firmware updates. By comparison, the Sony X900H is easier to use and live with and does not appear to suffer from any of these quality control issues, or at the very least has a comparably low rate of failures. I don't know if I have the patience to wait for firmware updates for the H9G to address any issues that might crop up with this set.

Sony X900H:

Pros:

Color and Accuracy: Out-of-the-box, the X900H has very natural colors and a pleasing color rendering intent that creates a very natural image and a closer representation of the creator's intent. This is a staple of Sony image processing and would lend itself best to watching TV and movie content. I did find the color was somewhat subdued with video game footage, where extra color saturation and contrast may actually be necessary to accurately capture the creator's intent. Basically, Sony's color management is excellent, but I didn't feel like this was as accurate with video games, where the color was good, but perhaps a little too subdued. But I could live with it because there was still plenty of contrast on order and Sony excels at revealing delicate shadow detail and rendering natural color tones. I didn't have to do anything to get a good HDR image beyond selecting the Custom picture preset and Expert 2 color profile with all local dimming settings enabled and local dimming set to "medium."

Motion: I question whether the default X900H firmware was forcing frame interpolation for the internal apps even though I had it disabled in the picture options, but motion on the Sony looked smoother compared to the H9G. Both appear to have motion handling as strengths, but I liked the motion performance of the Sony a little more. This smooth rendering of motion would be ideal for gaming.

Screen Uniformity: Like the X900F I had purchased, the X900H passed all of the screen uniformity tests that I threw at it with almost ideal gray uniformity across the grayscale for an LED panel that lends itself well to smooth, artifact-free images. Good screen uniformity is known to be a consistent strength of Sony TVs, so this is no surprise. With that said, there are very slight dark corners on the Sony that can be occasionally be noticed against brighter backgrounds that aren't present on the H9G and the Hisense had equally good uniformity on grayscale slides. So call this a tie if the H9G's black uniformity manages to hold up.

Premium User Experience: Quite simply, from menu design, to navigation, to the performance of the new Sony SOC, using the Sony X900H is a more enjoyable experience than the H9G. I like the bezel design and premium floating glass look of the H9G more than the bland Sony, but Sony excels at providing a polished user experience. The factory color calibration is more accurate. Black and white clip correctly out-of-the-box. The remote is not great, but the user interface is snappy and adjustments to the settings are easier to make and offer higher levels of user customization. Android TV, in particular, is snappier on the X900H than the H9G. Sony wins for being easier to live with and feels more polished.

HDMI 2.1 Features: I have no plans to purchase a PS5 or Xbox Series X in the next couple of years, but the X900H has onboard HDMI 2.1 gaming support on two of its HDMI ports via a future firmware update that gives the TV greater longevity.

Cons:

HDR Performance and HDR Contrast: HDR on the X900H appears to be improved over the X900F I purchased and was bright and impactful and often looked similar to the TCL 6 Series that I had. I could easily live with the HDR performance of the X900H. However, going over to the H9G after seeing the X900H provided a more impactful HDR experience. While the X900H looked really great at all times, it never made me say "Wow" like the Hisense H9G did and appeared a little dimmer. Sony with its paltry 32 local dimming zones and more natural rendering intent never managed to make the specular highlights pop out at you like the Hisense can. This high-contrast, color pop and HDR performance had me siding with the H9G when doing a casual side-by-side comparison. I thought the picture of the H9G simply looked more appealing and exciting.

With that said, I am hesitant to purchase the Hisense H9G at this time because it is rendering artifacts. The Sony X900H can also bloom, but it is not nearly as bad by comparison. I know from experience that artifacts can seem trivial to many at first glance, but can also lead to long-term annoyances that cause you to lose interest in the image quality over repeated exposure. Quite simply, artifacts are not part of the original image and they will always be noticed by the viewer once made aware. The more common the artifact, the more annoying this can become, as your immersion in the content or game world can immediately be disrupted whenever this artifact appears. For example, I couldn't live with the DSE on the TCL and had to return it. I was seeing this artifact all too often across several games and felt the DSE was too distracting to live with as I couldn't stop noticing it.

For me, choosing between the Hisense H9G and Sony X900H is like choosing between a Ferrari with poor engineering and a bad gearbox and a Rolls Royce with more refined quality and superior engineering. One is exciting and what you were looking for in the first place, and the other may be slightly less exciting, but is more reliable, still looks excellent and is perhaps easier to live with over the long-term.

Because of the limitations of rendering HDR content on LED displays, I am sure my next gaming TV will be an OLED. But, for this purchase, I am going to keep the cost down and see if I can get some great gaming out of these wonderful, lower-cost LED HDR displays.

So can any H9G owners convince me that the artifacts and bugs of the current Hisense H9G are minimal enough to jump in and purchase this set over the Sony?

Last edited by Onkyoman; 06-30-2020 at 05:13 PM.
post #21 of 196 Old 06-29-2020, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Honestly in your case I would try to find a used B9. Sounds like you're in Canada so if you can find one for 1400 or less I would do that.
post #22 of 196 Old 06-29-2020, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks. I've searched on classified sites for a B9 and have yet to see any at all, and certainly none being sold at that price point.

My gripes are likely overstated because I don't mind gaming on an LED. My impressions of the B9 would also be filled with criticism and room for improvement as well. I'm just being honest about the tradeoffs of the displays I've purchased or tested. Each has its faults.
post #23 of 196 Old 06-29-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkyoman View Post
Thanks. I've searched on classified sites for a B9 and have yet to see any at all, and certainly none being sold at that price point.

My gripes are likely overstated because I don't mind gaming on an LED. My impressions of the B9 would also be filled with criticism and room for improvement as well. I'm just being honest about the tradeoffs of the displays I've purchased or tested. Each has its faults.

PM me. Where abouts in Canada are you? I may be able to help you out
post #24 of 196 Old 06-29-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:

I sent you another PM. We are from the same place
post #25 of 196 Old 06-29-2020, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Not sure the blooming is that bad, I have the 65 inch and just watched the same youtube clips on the video and did notice the blooming around text/disclaimers and other items but it is not nearly as bad on my unit. When comparing to the Q90r side by side, the Samsung was slightly better, but based on that shared video it makes it seem worse than I see.
post #26 of 196 Old 06-29-2020, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Can some Hisense H9G and veteran H9F owners help me out with my TV purchase dilemma?

I am purchasing a TV as my new gaming monitor. The TV will also see some use with regular television programming and the odd movie with gaming headphones on. But its primary usage case is for HDR and SDR video games, with smooth and artifact-free PS4 Pro HDR10 gaming being a priority.

I started out by giving a budget HDR light cannon a chance by purchasing a TCL 55R615. To my surprise, the picture quality was very good, particularly in HDR mode and with HDR gaming. Not the quality that you would expect from a relatively cheap TV! However, before my 30 day return window with Best Buy expired, I ended up returning it.

These were my gripes with the TCL 6 Series:

- Dirty Screen Effect: Despite claims of a panel lottery, both of the TCL 6 series that I tried had some amount of DSE on the edges of the screen and some vertical banding in different places in the center of the screen area. I now understand there is no such thing as a perfectly "clean" TCL and this is something you have to live with as a current 6 Series owner.

Now I had never heard of the dirty screen effect until purchasing the 6 series. If I only watched TV and movies, I don't think I would have overly objected and would have kept the TV, as this artifact rarely reared its ugly head. However, the DSE was painfully obvious when playing any video game with an open world environment, especially at the top of the screen where the sky is rendered in delicate, light blue shades. It is like looking through a windshield or through a cataract. It completely destroyed the immersion of the open world. I've seen better panels and I decided not to live with the poor screen uniformity of the TCL 6 Series for playing video games.

- Motion: The 60Hz panel of the TCL 6 Series and its subpar motion rendering were the ultimate deal breakers for me. Again, for TV and movies, I found the motion performance of the TCL to be passable. But for video games, which are far more demanding of a TV's ability to render motion, the TCL suffered from a moire effect and some obvious blurring of the image when panning the camera around. I am sitting a mere 2.28 meters from a 55" screen and any image artifacts are made more apparent from this viewing distance. The TCL couldn't cut the mustard for smooth motion and comfortable gaming.

My second TV purchase to replace the TCL 6 Series was a Sony X900F on clearance. The X900F cured the dirty screen effect: grayscale slides revealed a perfectly clean panel and the vaunted Sony motion performance was indeed evident compared to the TCL. However, the Sony again failed to stay in my house due to a new gripe:

- HDR Performance: Compared to HDR on the TCL 6 Series, HDR on the Sony X900F was bland and boring and didn't look that much different than SDR. This can largely be attributed to Sony's more natural and subdued approach to image processing as well as some issues with the X900F's EOTF tracking in HDR mode. The average HDR performance of the Sony was also almost certainly a side effect of the much lower number of local dimming zones used by current Sony LEDs compared to TCL and Hisense that have difficulty isolating small specular highlights while maintaining deep black levels and high contrast at the same time. Basically, I found the Sony's HDR boring, like it had taken the HDR right out of the picture.

So fast forwarding to today, I have now moved my gaming TV purchase decision to two newer models. I am deciding between these two sets that feature similar, or at least comparable, pricing:

- Hisense 55Q9G
- Sony 55X900H

I have viewed both sets in a local store, ran my screen uniformity tests and HDR demo videos through the display's internal YouTube app and know the ins and outs of each set. Unfortunately, each has its own set of tradeoffs.

Hisense Q9G:

Pros:

- Contrast and Brightness: This TV has the ability to make you say "Wow" due to its fantastic combination of contrast, brightness and color saturation. Is it 100% faithful to the creator's intent in all cases? Probably not in all cases, but it comes the closest of the TVs I've tested to matching the contrast performance and wow factor of a more expensive OLED panel. HDR, in particular, looks really good and this high-contrast, "color pop" appearance is ideal for stylized video games. This alone keeps me interested in Hisense.

- Motion: While I feel Sony still does a better job with motion handling, the Hisense Q9G appears very smooth in motion and is far better equipped with its 120 Hz panel to handle the demands of twitchy video games compared to the TCL 6 Series. From my brief viewing, I don't think I'd object to Hisense's motion handling for games, movies or TV.

- Screen Uniformity: I think Hisense may have made incredible progress this year in improving overall or average screen uniformity from panel-to-panel. I ran extensive dirty screen tests on an in-store Hisense 65H9G using grayscale slides and hand-picked dirty screen torture test clips and the 65H9G I tested appeared to have no significant issues with gray uniformity and the panel appeared to be just as clean as the nearby Sony X900H that was also tested. The LED panel was very uniform across all shades of gray.

Grays on the 65H9G were rendered without any signs of vignetting on the outside of the screen borders and the middle of the screen appeared to be devoid of any significant vertical banding. I didn't, however, have the opportunity to turn down the lights and test black uniformity, but at 15% gray, the panel remained perfectly uniform. Like all LED panels, small imperfections in the panel were still present, but nothing as bad as the TCL 6 Series that would be noticeable during most normal content viewing or gaming. Kudos to Hisense for vastly improving screen uniformity and addressing this major flaw of the H9F.

- Sound: Surprisingly, the Q9G had better sound than the Sony X900H. It manages to have a little extra bass and was more than acceptable for watching TV. Most of my use of this TV will be with gaming headphones on, but I'd still like to be able to watch the local news on this TV with acceptable sound quality. The TV also has the option to apply an audio delay and adjust the lip sync for external devices such as headphones, soundbars or speakers. Nice.

Cons:

- Blooming and Color Banding: This is the current deal breaker for me. I am referring to this video that was posted here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxzCFWjhoIY

I have been able to confirm the presence of this blooming in-person. This was my torture test video from Horizon Zero Dawn in HDR that has some mild blooming already present around the many small specular highlights. The H9G multiplies the pain by adding additional blooming to each of the highlights in the video. This is most apparent during the underground cave sequence with the little girl where the dark cave is lit up by many small, bright blue and purple highlights that show obvious and ugly blooming artifacts on the H9G that were not present on the Sony X900H:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9XJ...ndex=22&t=762s

My questions for H9G owners:

If you play this video in YouTube, do you see the blooming in Horizon Zero Dawn that I see? How often does this blooming rear its ugly head when HDR gaming, or when gaming in general? Is the blooming present for other types of content?

I find the blooming around small highlights very distracting. I could see obvious halos around specular highlights in the three HDR game clips that I had with me where dark environments and bright highlights were rendered together.

Do you believe the obvious blooming around small specular highlights and the very poor local dimming performance of the H9G are in fact potential reasons to avoid purchasing this TV?

Quality Control and Bugs: This is more of a nitpick and a general opinion of the current state of Hisense TVs based on extensive research and personal opinion. Hisense is known to have more defective panels, quality control issues and generally subpar video processing compared to its competitors. Sources such as Consumer Reports that tabulate warranty claims and consumer complaints seem to confirm this.

The poor video processing and inconsistency in panel quality point to poor software engineering and manufacturing issues at Hisense. When testing the internal YouTube app, for instance, one of my videos would not play in HDR, but would play correctly on both the Sony and TCL. I question whether obvious bugs such as this or the poor local dimming performance of the H9G can or will be corrected by future firmware updates. By comparison, the Sony X900H is easier to use and live with and does not appear to suffer from any of these quality control issues, or at the very least has a comparably low rate of failures. I don't know if I have the patience to wait for firmware updates for the H9G to address any issues that might crop up with this set.

Sony X900H:

Pros:

Color and Accuracy: Out-of-the-box, the X900H has very natural colors and a pleasing color rendering intent that creates a very natural image and a closer representation of the creator's intent. This is a staple of Sony image processing and would lend itself best to watching TV and movie content. I did find the color was somewhat subdued with video game footage, where extra color saturation and contrast may actually be necessary to accurately capture the creator's intent. Basically, Sony's color management is excellent, but I didn't feel like this was as accurate with video games, where the color was good, but perhaps a little too subdued. But I could live with it because there was still plenty of contrast on order and Sony excels at revealing delicate shadow detail and rendering natural color tones. I didn't have to do anything to get a good HDR image beyond selecting the Custom picture preset and Expert 2 color profile with all local dimming settings enabled and local dimming set to "medium."

Motion: I question whether the default X900H firmware was forcing frame interpolation for the internal apps even though I had it disabled in the picture options, but motion on the Sony looked smoother compared to the H9G. Both appear to have motion handling as strengths, but I liked the motion performance of the Sony a little more. This smooth rendering of motion would be ideal for gaming.

Screen Uniformity: Like the X900F I had purchased, the X900H passed all of the screen uniformity tests that I threw at it with almost ideal gray uniformity across the grayscale for an LED panel that lends itself well to smooth, artifact-free images. Good screen uniformity is known to be a consistent strength of Sony TVs, so this is no surprise. With that said, there are very slight dark corners on the Sony that can be occasionally be noticed against brighter backgrounds that aren't present on the H9G and the Hisense had equally good uniformity on grayscale slides. So call this a tie if the H9G's black uniformity manages to hold up.

Premium User Experience: Quite simply, from menu design, to navigation, to the performance of the new Sony SOC, using the Sony X900H is a more enjoyable experience than the H9G. I like the bezel design and premium floating glass look of the H9G more than the bland Sony, but Sony excels at providing a polished user experience. The factory color calibration is more accurate. Black and white clip correctly out-of-the-box. The remote is not great, but the user interface is snappy and adjustments to the settings are easier to make and offer higher levels of user customization. Android TV, in particular, is snappier on the X900H than the H9G. Sony wins for being easier to live with and feels more polished.

HDMI 2.1 Features: I have no plans to purchase a PS5 or Xbox Series X in the next couple of years, but the X900H has onboard HDMI 2.1 gaming support on two of its HDMI ports via a future firmware update that gives the TV greater longevity.

Cons:

HDR Performance and HDR Contrast: HDR on the X900H appears to be improved over the X900F I purchased and was bright and impactful and often looked similar to the TCL 6 Series that I had. I could easily live with the HDR performance of the X900H. However, going over to the H9G after seeing the X900H provided a more impactful HDR experience. While the X900H looked really great at all times, it never made me say "Wow" like the Hisense H9G did and appeared a little dimmer. Sony with its paltry 32 local dimming zones and more natural rendering intent never managed to make the specular highlights pop out at you like the Hisense can. This high-contrast, color pop and HDR performance had me siding with the H9G when doing a casual side-by-side comparison. I thought the picture of the H9G simply looked more appealing and exciting.

With that said, I am hesitant to purchase the Hisense H9G at this time because it is rendering artifacts. The Sony X900H can also bloom, but it is not nearly as bad by comparison. I know from experience that artifacts can seem trivial to many at first glance, but can also lead to long-term annoyances that cause you to lose interest in the image quality over repeated exposure. Quite simply, artifacts are not part of the original image and they will always be noticed by the viewer once made aware. The more common the artifact, the more annoying this can become, as your immersion in the content or game world can immediately be disrupted whenever this artifact appears. For example, I couldn't live with the DSE on the TCL and had to return it. I was seeing this artifact all too often across several games and felt the DSE was too distracting to live with as I couldn't stop noticing it.

For me, choosing between the Hisense H9G and Sony X900H is like choosing between a Ferrari with poor engineering and a bad gearbox and a Rolls Royce with more refined quality and superior engineering. One is exciting and what you were looking for in the first place, and the other may be slightly less exciting, but is more reliable, still looks excellent and is perhaps easier to live with over the long-term.

Because of the limitations of rendering HDR content on LED displays, I am sure my next gaming TV will be an OLED. But, for this purchase, I am going to keep the cost down and see if I can get some great gaming out of these wonderful, lower-cost LED HDR displays.

So can any H9G owners convince me that the artifacts and bugs of the current Hisense H9G are minimal enough to jump in and purchase this set over the Sony?
Extremely unfair comparison it's well known among enthusiasts that Sony and Panasonic have the best processing in the business but you also pay a huge price markup to enjoy it. I don't even know what was the point of this long detailed post.
post #27 of 196 Old 06-29-2020, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The price difference where I am (in Canada) is only $290 with taxes included. The two TVs are both in the same price bracket, or certainly close enough to be considered together where I live. I was asking for advice while sharing my experiences with these sets.

The Sony X900H is also priced to be more affordable than many past Sony TVs. The flagship 950H LED is not much more money, either. So these local dimming Sony LEDs aren't as premium as they used to be or as premium as you might think.
js950 likes this.
post #28 of 196 Old 06-29-2020, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy202022 View Post
Not sure the blooming is that bad, I have the 65 inch and just watched the same youtube clips on the video and did notice the blooming around text/disclaimers and other items but it is not nearly as bad on my unit. When comparing to the Q90r side by side, the Samsung was slightly better, but based on that shared video it makes it seem worse than I see.
Not that bad? Okay thanks for your input. Are you still running the factory firmware and do you notice any blooming when watching other HDR content? Do you recommend this display as a good HDR TV? What are its faults to you as an owner?

One more question: How is the screen uniformity on your set? Do you have any noticeable dirty screen effect with actual content?

I have strongly considered buying the Hisense Q9G from Costco, which has a 90 day return policy, to determine if the blooming is indeed a day-to-day annoyance. That is probably the only way to fairly judge this TV. I just finished boxing up three other TVs, so I'm simply not motivated to go through this process too many times to demo and return them.

Last edited by Onkyoman; 06-29-2020 at 12:06 PM.
post #29 of 196 Old 06-29-2020, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have strongly considered buying the Hisense Q9G from Costco, which has a 90 day return policy, to determine if the blooming is indeed a day-to-day annoyance. That is probably the only way to fairly judge this TV. I just finished boxing up three other TVs, so I'm simply not motivated to go through this process too many times to demo and return them.

Assuming you mean Costco Canada? I've only seen lower end Hisense models in store and the H8F online in the US. You guys are lucky if you can get it in Costco. The 90 days is a no brainier at 55". 65" may be a bit more schlep, but nothing like 75"+.

Have you read the comments of the Quantum video? Found this:

Quote:
AlphaQ 1 day ago
Damn so H9G isn't as good as your first impression. I'll probably lean more towards the Sony x900h then

QUANTUM TV
1st impressions aren't final. I have more experience with it now, and can tell you it's great, but has some issues. The 900h will be no different.

Joe Nastri 1 day ago
But, x1 processor is the decider?

QUANTUM TV 1 day ago
Yes and no. It's the older X1 4k HDR ver, with a rumored hdmi 2.1 according to vincent teoh.
and this...

Quote:
Joey Kiler 2 days ago
Quantum which is your favorite between the A8g, Q8fn, H9g?

QUANTUM TV 2 days ago
A8G & Q8FN are tied.

Joey Kiler 2 days ago
QUANTUM TV Yea I'm stuck between the two which would you prefer for movies & gaming?

QUANTUM TV 1 day ago
A8G because of the superior processing.

Last edited by sfsilicon; 06-29-2020 at 02:09 PM.
post #30 of 196 Old 06-29-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Not that bad? Okay thanks for your input. Are you still running the factory firmware and do you notice any blooming when watching other HDR content? Do you recommend this display as a good HDR TV? What are its faults to you as an owner?

One more question: How is the screen uniformity on your set? Do you have any noticeable dirty screen effect with actual content?

I PM'D you again. I think I can help you out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page