Samsung LN-S4696D/LN-S4096D - Page 96 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #2851 of 4409 Old 10-28-2006, 01:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelswim View Post

I am under the impression from this thread that the entire 95/96 series does 1080p just fine over both HDMI and Component. Be patient and Cocteau or one of the earlier guys from this thread may answer more definitively. Also you can query in one of the owners threads. In the mean time you can work on the 95 pages of this thread - I believe your question has been answered a couple of times and I've learned a ton of other things (and forgotten them!) by plowing through it. You are correct to always take the spec sheets with a grain of salt - Samsung is not very careful with them and often this forum has noted inconsistencies and minor mistakes and omissions.

Thank you very much sir. I actually emailed the samsung customer services, they replied me with the same answer as yours. But I still have one question, does the 4096d have DNie? And do you think 4096d worth the money to buy? I think I'm going to buy 4096d.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2852 of 4409 Old 10-28-2006, 09:07 AM

Got the 4095D for under 2k at CC with a little negotiating. It looks real nice paired with my Sony STR-DG1000 receiver.

The sony upconverts everthing to 1080i so I only have 1 cable to the TV, just the HDMI.

My 360, DVD, and HD DVD all go into the reciever leaving my Sammie kind of lonely with only 1 cable to it.
post #2853 of 4409 Old 10-28-2006, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythri View Post

Thank you very much sir. I actually emailed the samsung customer services, they replied me with the same answer as yours. But I still have one question, does the 4096d have DNie? And do you think 4096d worth the money to buy? I think I'm going to buy 4096d.

Mythri,

Yes, the 4096D has DNIe but you can turn it on and off via the menus with the remote. Most forum members suggest turning it off as one of your first setting changes (see my comments a few pages back) Then later after you are used to all the many settings there are a few member reports that you might try out DNIe for a few situations - but still, the vast majority of users report just being thankful they can turn it off. (Note that the Sony XBR2/3 panels have a roughly equivalent circuit and there are reports that certain aspects of that can not be turned off by the user.)

Mythri, none of us can tell you if the 4096 is worth it, it's too much of a complicated individual decision. I can say that there are tons of very happy reports from owners in these threads. I assume you've compared it to the Sony V2500, the Sony XBR2/3, the 1080p Sharp and perhaps a few others (more experienced members might help me out here!) Also, we assume you've been through the basic question of "bright room daytime viewing probably = LCD" vs. "dark theatre nighttime viewing probably = Plasma cause the gray levels in the dark scenes will still be a little better." Also, I assume you've studied the differences between the 4095 and 4096 and know you want CableCard/QAM tuner etc. so are choosing the 4096, right?

Good Luck! Keep us posted. --best, pixelswim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2854 of 4409 Old 10-28-2006, 10:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear5k View Post

Alright folks. I spent four hours in the SM of my Sammy playing calibration games. Some bad news: the best I was getting for CR was in the 350:1 range (as high as 367:1, as low as 330:1).
Bill

I recently received a 5296, prelim. observations are:

Blacks crushed badly on this set.
CR not any better than my 800:1 Sharps, disappointing.
Have to crank brightness above 50% to reveal black detail (but washes out midlevels in the process).
Set has too much pixel noise, mosquito.
Panel otherwise in good shape.

Not sure if I have a bad set or not, couldn't read through this long thread.
Any thoughts, experiences on black level ?
Do I have a bad set, factory settings off perhaps?
Would an SM tweak to backlight levels help (lower them) ?
I am running at lowest setting, power use is 115 watts !
Thanks.

Mark
post #2855 of 4409 Old 10-28-2006, 10:32 PM

Mark,

The "LCD Black Level Discussions" thread is interesting, have you glanced at that? Also have you found Bear5K's prelim calibration discussions fairly early in this (Samsung 96) thread? ..just a couple of thoughts
post #2856 of 4409 Old 10-28-2006, 11:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hey, pixelswim - I just posted there as well. I saw Bear's posts on page 61, which I quoted from, where he mentions the CR he is getting from this set. If one cannot get past that limitation, there's not much you can do with the set for viewing dark material. It's something I can live with, but I thought from what I saw personally at the stores (one of which was low ambient lighting but not like at home) and from many reports at AVS and CNET of this series having good black levels that it would perform better than what I am observing.
post #2857 of 4409 Old 10-29-2006, 03:05 PM

If anyone sees any recent reviews of the 4095 or 4695 (or the 96s) let me know.

My Review of the 4095
================

I have had the set for a few months now and I think I am pretty aware of its good qualities as well as limitations. I have it hooked up to a few HD sources (Comcast and Xbox 360) so I have seen how good HD content can look.

On the Plus Side...

When watching good HDTV sources this set really shines. The detail is great and the backlight is both very even and can be toned to (called E. Savings) four diffrent levels for watching in diffrent room lighting situations. This is critical due to the limitations of black level on LCDs. HD Game content also looks amazing at times. Having this connected to the 360 is pretty impressive and it makes a good combination.

The 4095 has a good amount of video settings and not too many added enhancements which you would most likely turn off anyway. I would have liked a gamma control because I believe some of the sources like the 360 could have benefited from a variable gamma espicialy in dark games.

I find the color a bit too blue and saturated on some SDTV stations but much like sound level thats probably the fault of the sources having no consistant image/signal confirmity. Man, would I like to see some industry standards on that! Although the HD channels seem much more in-line so I suppose that could be a thing of the past some day.

Inputs are good and include all the basics (2 Component, 2 Composite/SVid) and 2 HDMI inputs and a VGA connector for PCs. Its a good even split for most people who will still have some old sources but will be going towards HDMI down the road.

Sound, well for anyone who will ever really use it, its not that bad but its has little base of course and sounds a bit tinny as you might expect from a low power TV speaker. Still its not that bad and I used it to listen to my Zen hooked up to it for news radio and podcast when I don't feel like turning on my amp.

The build quality seems very good but only time will tell. I have not noticed any power flicker or any picture hickups at all. For the first 10 minutes or so after you turn it on (or off) there is some clicking or creaking pops that come from the set but I am almost certain that is due to heating up and cooling off. My old Tube TV did the same thing and it had great build quality.

Bottom line is, when you have a very good source, the picture is excellent with only one real shotcomming which is black level (see below).

The Negatives

On the negative side is this TVs (and all LCDs TVs) representation of black levels. For some movies and especialy for non-hd DVD, black levels can be very lacking. When watching a "dark" movie or video game you do need to do two things. Turn the brighness higher than optimal and turn up the E. Savings to keep blacks from looking too grey. Basicly it means more tweaking of the set and having to sacrifice some contrast where blacks are simly no longer black.

This is not the case for movies or games that are more evenly lit and its much less of a problem for HD content but its certainly not as good as plasma or the future LCDs technoligies comming out on in a year or two (but who can wait really).

So the bad news is, black level and contrast for low light scenes is still a problem. However, compared to other LCDs I think this panel does a good job with black level. Its just a limitation of the current technology. That being said, its not as bad as I am making it sound. Its just that seeing the incredible resolution just brings some attetion to the main weakness of LCD TVs.

The only other negative for me is that the brighness and contrast are not directly accessed from buttons on the remote. You need to go into the "Picture" menu and then to "Mode" and then navigate to them. This is very annoying because you will need to adjust these all the time. My last TV did not have them direct on the remote but there were codes out there that worked with the Harmony remote and it was great to have that little feature.

The other issue, which has been beaten to death, is the lack of a 1:1 pixel for the HDMI and Component HD input. Well all I can say is that the VGA is 1:1 but not the most flexable since it skips the video processor. It certainly would have been a plus to have a 1:1 option for component and HDMI but I don't think its much of an issue unless you want to use if as a true computer monitor (spread sheets and such) and not a TV or Media PC. All TV sources and media PCs are set up with 2-6% overscan in mind and 99% of all TVs do this. For TV 2% overscan is about as good as it gets.

So there is my review. Although I pointed out the negatives, I am more than happy with the TV and expect to get many years out of the set.
post #2858 of 4409 Old 10-29-2006, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'd pretty much concur with your observations, including the annoying sub-menu brightness and contrast. Once its dialed in though, perhaps its not much of a problem.

Black crush is my main complaint. Second is in my opinion a sub-par tuner. Too noisy on less than perfect sources.
post #2859 of 4409 Old 10-29-2006, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_1080p View Post

I'd pretty much concur with your observations, including the annoying sub-menu brightness and contrast. Once its dialed in though, perhaps its not much of a problem.

Black crush is my main complaint. Second is in my opinion a sub-par tuner. Too noisy on less than perfect sources.

Yes, the lack of good black level is my only realy complaint as well. I looked at a lot of LCD TVs and this one is still better than most of the ones out there and I think LCDs do much better when you want to watch TV at varying light levels. And you really nead to play around with the backlight and E. Savings. If you turn E.Saving up a notch (say to Med) and turn the contrast up a bit to compensate, black levels are much less "crushed". It won't get you great black level but much better than if you don't adjust it.

Are you talking about the HD Tuner for Over the air or for Cable. I now have a set top box so I don't use the tuner but I found (when I was hooked up to cable) that you can fine tune the channels and it helps a little bit. Plus you can turn on noise reduction for signals that are not perfect. It does not make a big improvement but does get rid of some of the image blur in bad signals. And I know bad signals, Comcast around where I live has crappy signals
post #2860 of 4409 Old 10-29-2006, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I am using the QAM tuner, the built-in digital cable tuner as well as analog cable. I have not tried OTA (ATSC) but I assume it's ok. Changing the backlight doesn't seem to help, pic is too bright for me at any other setting than lowest brightness.
post #2861 of 4409 Old 10-30-2006, 04:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padrino View Post

The only other negative for me is that the brighness and contrast are not directly accessed from buttons on the remote. You need to go into the "Picture" menu and then to "Mode" and then navigate to them. This is very annoying because you will need to adjust these all the time. My last TV did not have them direct on the remote but there were codes out there that worked with the Harmony remote and it was great to have that little feature.

There is a (colored!) button on the remote for Picture Modes, so one easy answer that will work for a lot of people is to set those up as presets, with settings for the main types of different sources, and flip between those by toggling that remote button. That's essentially what it's there for. It might not be perfect, but it's quick and easy.

The main thing new owners need to know is to use the Energy Savings button as a backlight control, to adjust for the darkness or brightness of the room. The default is way too bright for a dark room. Though it's great to have it for a bright room, or a variable one, which is what I have.

Given the complexities, it's set up better than most OOTB. The most genius thing they did was have a setup wizard that immediately asks whether it's for a showroom or a home, so it preumably adjusts the settings and avoids the whole problem of the OOTB settings being lurid settings only suitable for a showroom.

Angle viewing is excellent, you can easily watch it from any angle you'd realistically want to, and beyond.

Remote is good if a little busy; could be better but it's OK.

Menus. The CNET review of the 4096D complained about the slow menus; they need to switch to decaf, they're fine. And the transparent menus not only look cool, and let you keep an eye on the show - but most of the settings also seem to let you preview the result, so you can try an adjustment, see how it looks, and adjust again without going in and out of the menus. No real problems for me with the menus, other than I'd always like more adjustments.

Design obviously rules, and it's very space-efficient - my stand is a little high, and I didn't want speakers adding any more than they needed to. The aluminum strip on the 4095D (vs. glass on the 4096D) is a little disappointing, but if it's lighter or more durable, that works better for me, so I'll rationalize it that way.

DNIe - I sense a massive lemming effect on the DNIe, as with so many things at AVS - people already have their minds made up, it's what they're suppposed to say. As a couple non-lemming people have noted, on some sources it doesn't make that much difference, and for some sources DNIe does improve them. And it couldn't be easier to turn on and off, or use the demo mode to see the effect - just toggle the button on the remote. Not even remotely worth all the comments here.

Obviously it would be great if it could tune channels faster, but that's the way it is. My wife will probably like that I can't flip 120 channels a minute ...

I've only heard "clicking" once, maybe it depends on temperature variations in your room or something as it warms up.

Also, AVS needs a new HDTV owner FAQ to explain a couple things. As noted, a good 1080p will let you see the poor quality of even many so-called HD broadcasts. And a basic understanding of digital broadcasting and video compression would probably help a lot of new owners figure out what's the source vs. connections vs. display.

What would be truly awesome is if Samsung did a firmware release that fixed two things:

- Ability to turn on or off overscan by source, to allow 1:1 PC hookup via HDMI

- Ability to use the zoom on digital sources. As it stands, you can only use the zoom on the analog channels. But some of the digital channels are broadcast (I guess) with letterboxing on all four sides, so they would benefit from zoom.

I don't know if Samsung ever actually does firmware upgrades, I guess I'll poke around their site and see if they have.

P.S. Seems that's wishful thinking:
Quote:

Note: Unless there is a general problem with the firmware for a TV, or a major change in broadcast protocols, Samsung does not offer firmware upgrades for its TVs.

I guess I'll re-read the comments about a fix for the first item via a service call.
post #2862 of 4409 Old 10-30-2006, 07:29 AM

Padrino, Mark & buzzy,

Great comments! Padrino & buzzy_ , those are the some of the best and most balanced 95/96 reviews I've seen in a long while in this big thread -- keep the good stuff coming, it really helps those of us that are still lookers and it's fun!

Have any of you guys kept any tabulation of the "little negatives" about the "other contenders" that drove you to the sammys? ie, I'm still fishing for the exact little things (or even obvious things!) that will push an XBR2/3 looker, or V2500 looker or a sharp, phillips, mits, jvc looker (not all of those even have a competitor in the 1080p 40/46/52 world of the sony/sammy perhaps - it gets hard to keep track of sizes/resolutions/timelines, ugh) to reject them. Money sometimes plays a factor but hopefully you won't just stop at that.

In other words, what were your short lists and what were the deciding factors? For the XBR2/3s there has been mention of 3khour ccf tube replacements and minor banding? -- was that on anyone's list - I'm sure there are others like me that would like to hear someone's summary of that. Or was it the sharps that the minor banding? OK, thanks again guys --pixelswim
post #2863 of 4409 Old 10-30-2006, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 14
"Other deciding factors" can be a host of things that are true at the time of purchase. When I got my Sammie, I had already set-up and spent time viewing a XBR1 (spring this year) at my sisters, a block away. Ultimately I decided the PQ was amazingly similar on both sets, but the Sammie was 500 bucks less (at the time), switched channels quickly while the Sony took forever, and generally looked far better (very much a taste thing).

Indeed, the black crush thing made me a tad crazy. But I am not at all convinced about the "LCDs can't do black" thing. On any number of occasions, mostly in live baseball games, there's always someone with a back T-shirt. Damned if I don't see a black so deep that I find it way, way blacker than any T-shirt I have ever seen. In point of fact, it really isn't realistic at all. AND, in general, in video shot HD, I rarely see or are bothered by black crush, it seems to happen in film sources in HD. And not all of those.

How I define it is more akin to blocked up shadows. As in a guy with a back jacket where you can't make out that it actually has lapels. As in too much contrast. AND I have my brightness and contrast controls up pretty high, about 80% of their ranges.

But the corker was a movie I just saw in a theater (first one since I got the HD set). Boy, many, many times I found myself thinking "oh there's some black crush!" Hmm, movie makers who want shadow areas to not have any discernible tone in them???

So I haul ut the old CRT and set it next to the LCD. Interesting, I do see tone in areas where the LCD shows none. HOWEVER, the backs on the LCD are 2,000% better than the CRT. The CRT looks grayish and washed out.

So I've made my peace with black crush. I rarely notice it much anymore. STILL, I'd love to have a real contrast control... but one like the shadows & highlights control in Photoshop (my single favorite editing tool up there with the healing brush). Essentially I can dial down the contrast in the shadows without ever touching the upper end of the scale (i.e. highlights stay the same).

Internet Connection/Roku Streaming Stick+
post #2864 of 4409 Old 10-30-2006, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Not that it's anything new, but it's now official, from the Samsung FAQ site :
Quote:

Date 2006-10-26 06:23:00

Question

What Is The Difference Between The LN-S4095D And The LN-S4096D?

Answer

The LN-S4095D and LN-S4096D are identical in all respects except that the LN-S4096D:

Is Digital Cable Ready (DCR)
Has an IEEE1394 (Firewire) jack which lets you network together, exchange content between, and control up to 10 IEEE1394 equipped devices (for example, VCRs, DVD players, and Set-Top-Boxes).
Has a USB 1.1 jack which lets you view photo (JPEG) files and listen to audio (MP3) files saved on a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) device on your TV.

The LN-S4095D does not have these features.

Quote:

2006-10-18 09:02:00

Question

What Is The Difference Between The LN-S4695D And The LN-S4696D?

Answer

The LN-S4695D and LN-S4696D are identical in all respects except that the LN-S4696D:

Is Digital Cable Ready (DCR)
Has an IEEE1394 (Firewire) jack which lets you network together, exchange content between, and control up to 10 IEEE1394 equipped devices (for example, VCRs, DVD players, and Set-Top-Boxes).
Has a USB 1.1 jack which lets you view photo (JPEG) files and listen to audio (MP3) files saved on a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) device on your TV.

The LN-S4695D does not have these features.

Curious they don't mention that the strip under the bottom is aluminum vs. glass.
Quote:

2006-09-26 10:24:00

Question

Does The LN-S4695D Have A Built-In QAM Tuner?

Answer

The LN-S4695D does not have a built in QAM digital cable tuner. It has a built in ATSC digital tuner for over-the-air digital broadcasts and a built in standard NTSC analog tuner for analog over-the-air and cable broadcasts. To receive digital cable broadcasts, you would have to attach a digital cable set-top-box to the LN-S4695D.

post #2865 of 4409 Old 10-31-2006, 06:44 AM

Hello I am looking for insight if anyone has compared the Samsung LN-S4695 to the Sony KDL 46V250 models and what their thought's are. I am on the fence and leaning towards the Samsung I am looking to be pushed over the edge

Thanks
post #2866 of 4409 Old 10-31-2006, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswmkw View Post

Hello I am looking for insight if anyone has compared the Samsung LN-S4695 to the Sony KDL 46V250 models and what their thought's are. I am on the fence and leaning towards the Samsung I am looking to be pushed over the edge

Thanks

rswmkw,

There is a guy, I think his id is rconn2 who you could search on (in Advanced search there is a field for the id of the poster) who knows a lot about the V2500 sony models. -- pixelswim
post #2867 of 4409 Old 10-31-2006, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

Indeed, the black crush thing made me a tad crazy. But I am not at all convinced about the "LCDs can't do black" thing. ...in video shot HD, I rarely see or are bothered by black crush, it seems to happen in film sources in HD. And not all of those.

Video is usually shot in well lit environments. The Samsung 96 series are excellent performers if you are a football or baseball fan. Outstanding performance. Darker material, well the CE setting in the SM seems to make some difference, I still have to run brightness at 50% which introduces some haze. The hazing seems a bit reduced, though, after the SM tweak. Running my set at 30% brightness would produce lots of crush.

A clean signal, either good HD or DVD via HDMI can be outstanding. This set is no slouch by any means. There may yet be a few tweaks, some people are getting excellent results.

pixel -

Sharps - banding, no CableCARD, concerns about build quality. If Sharp is partnering with Chei Mei on more than just the backlight, that may show up down the road. Also, someone posted about the Sharp problem perhaps being the machine that puts the coating on the LCD matrix. If that is the banding, and it sounds like an interesting possibility, that is a serious QC problem, probably a very expensive fix for Sharp at the factory.

Sony - bezel too fat, no 52 (maybe just arriving), price for the name, Sony components fail down the road, Sony getting undue credit for Samsung engineering - no Sony for me. Nearly every piece of Sony equip broke down in some way over the years.

Samsung has a long history of LCD panel manufacture, I have had monitors for a long time, never failed. They should have rounded the corners off these things a bit, though - too boxy.
post #2868 of 4409 Old 10-31-2006, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswmkw View Post

Thanks

Well the Samsung works better with the Xbox 360 than the Sony's at 1080p.
post #2869 of 4409 Old 11-01-2006, 01:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 15
just got the 46 samsung recently and i am really impressed with this set. this is after
going into the service menu and tweaking some settings. everything is freakin beautiful!!!

xbox 360 update for 1080p upconversion is an added plus.

i found that turning gamma to off in the sm made the black levels much better too.
if you want to push it some more, play with the esavings settings.

damn i'm loving this set.
post #2870 of 4409 Old 11-01-2006, 05:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Boy, I'd REALLY like to see some documentation on the service menu. I'm actually quite surprised that there's nothing I can find on the web. I find most things fine, but I wouldn't mind playing with the gamma/greyscale settings a tad.

post #2871 of 4409 Old 11-01-2006, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

bosng -

Give us some details, if you please !
Where's the gamma turn off, and esaving settings ?

Thanks, PM'ed. as well.
post #2872 of 4409 Old 11-01-2006, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

the esavings button on the remote will cycle through several settings.

and i believe gamma is in the options portion of the service menu.
post #2873 of 4409 Old 11-01-2006, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosng View Post

just got the 46 samsung recently and i am really impressed with this set. this is after
going into the service menu and tweaking some settings. everything is freakin beautiful!!!

xbox 360 update for 1080p upconversion is an added plus.

i found that turning gamma to off in the sm made the black levels much better too.
if you want to push it some more, play with the esavings settings.

damn i'm loving this set.

Would you mind listing out the actual tweaks you made?
post #2874 of 4409 Old 11-01-2006, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

sure, i'll try and get to that later tonight.

for sure, don't forget to take a picture of the original settings so you have that always available in case the reset button doesn't do it.
post #2875 of 4409 Old 11-01-2006, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Guys, gamma isn't something you turn on and off! It's measurement value.

post #2876 of 4409 Old 11-01-2006, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Has anyone mounted this with an articulating cantilever wall mount? Please post what model you purchased. I'd also love to know how far it sticks out from the wall too.

There are a lot of mount options and the prices range for these things. Thanks.

Drew

PS: I'm about to pull the trigger on the 4695 from 0necall :-) They have the Omnimounts ranging in price from $250 to $550!!!

thanks for any feedback.
post #2877 of 4409 Old 11-01-2006, 09:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

Guys, gamma isn't something you turn on and off! It's measurement value.

if so, so be it but there is a gamma setting in the sm that you can set higher,lower and off.

as promised i will post the settings i have so far but here is the disclaimer:

these are not settings calibrated with avia or dve. i've just gotten this set and was trying to dial the settings quick and dirty style to get rid of some color balance issues i saw with the factory settings.

a more time consuming and in depth attempt with avia will come sometime in the future when i have some more time. i'm no expert either so you ymmv.

in the sm under "options"

gamma = off

acr = xxx
shop mode=off

in the white balance section

white balance=128
r-offset=468
g-offset=473
b-offset=486
sub contrast=122
r gain 131
g gain 133
b gain 135

in dynamic mode in the regular menu

contrast 90
bright 45
sharp 45
color 55
tine 50
color tone cool 1

playing with the esavings setting on the remote for bright or dark material with these settings dialed in seems to gives a pleasing effect depending on the material

also find that dnie on some material looks very good but you may want to up the brightness a bit to compensate

if anyone wants to tweak and repost please feel free.
post #2878 of 4409 Old 11-01-2006, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

if someone can help me out

i've noticed when there is a high bass or high volume coming from the internal speakers the tv will have an unsettling vibration accompanying the sound. is this normal for samsung sets?

i have the 4695d

thanks.
post #2879 of 4409 Old 11-01-2006, 10:05 PM

My 4696D does the same thing with very low frequency sounds. The vibration appears to be originating from the left speaker. I have reqested a service call.
post #2880 of 4409 Old 11-02-2006, 06:43 AM

(my earlier question
"Have any of you guys kept any tabulation of the "little negatives" about the "other contenders" that drove you to the sammys? ie, I'm still fishing for the exact little things (or even obvious things!) that will push an XBR2/3 looker, or V2500 looker or a sharp, phillips, mits, jvc looker (not all of those even have a competitor in the 1080p 40/46/52 world of the sony/sammy perhaps - it gets hard to keep track of sizes/resolutions/timelines, ugh) to reject them. Money sometimes plays a factor but hopefully you won't just stop at that.

In other words, what were your short lists and what were the deciding factors? For the XBR2/3s there has been mention of 3khour ccf tube replacements and minor banding? -- was that on anyone's list - I'm sure there are others like me that would like to hear someone's summary of that. Or was it the sharps that the minor banding? OK, thanks again guys --pixelswim"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_1080p View Post

(...)
pixel -

Sharps - banding, no CableCARD, concerns about build quality. If Sharp is partnering with Chei Mei on more than just the backlight, that may show up down the road. Also, someone posted about the Sharp problem perhaps being the machine that puts the coating on the LCD matrix. If that is the banding, and it sounds like an interesting possibility, that is a serious QC problem, probably a very expensive fix for Sharp at the factory.

Sony - bezel too fat, no 52 (maybe just arriving), price for the name, Sony components fail down the road, Sony getting undue credit for Samsung engineering - no Sony for me. Nearly every piece of Sony equip broke down in some way over the years.

Samsung has a long history of LCD panel manufacture, I have had monitors for a long time, never failed. They should have rounded the corners off these things a bit, though - too boxy.

Thanks mark (& stupac),
These are exactly the kinds of comments I was fishing for and think will help the 1080p "fence sitters" among us. Keep 'em coming guys!

Mark, interesting comments about Sharp -- I remember speculating back when Sharp first announced new manufacturing investments.. Sony & Samsung made absolutely huge investments in their new joint spaces in Korea and somewhat after that Sharp made some announcements and I wondered if they were hard-pressed to try and keep up. I was thinking it would just be hard for them to raise the same level of capital and thus to obtain the same level of control over their processes. OTOH, they are a pretty dedicated company and sometimes I think able to be more focused than the huge sony and samsung companies. But in the end I think investment size makes a bigger diff for these huge sheets of high-tech glass constructions.

My finance committee gave me a 4-day deadline last december and I've now pushed my quest to over 10 months (I've about worn out wikipedia learning where the electrons are going ). My gut feeling is coming down to a difficult decision between the 4696D and the 5296D for viewing at about 9 ft. most of the time. I still haven't investigated the "V2500"s at all and feel I need to for thoroughness, although I don't think I'll like the style as much (surprisingly hard to make yourself discount style, isn't it?) --pixelswim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Ln S4695d 46 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Lns4096d 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page