AVS Forum banner

OFFICIAL Samsung LN-S4095/4695/4096/4696 Owners Thread

712K views 5K replies 794 participants last post by  pilotart 
#1 ·
This thread is for OWNERS of the new 1080P Samsung LCD Panels LN-XX95 and LN-XX96 series.

I am the proud owner of a Samsung 4095 and so far I am very happy with the display. The idea behind this thread is to give owners a place to ask questions and post there calibrations and settings to give others an idea of what might work well.

It should also be used to post your actual impressions of the TV that you now own. So please post you favorite connection (DVD, Xbox, HDTV, etc) and you configuration info that you use (Brightness, Contrast, Color, etc).

Also, any questions (other than price talk) about the capabilities of the TVs would make sense here.

#2 ·
I just purchased a samsung 4695, which I should receive in about 10 days. I'll be looking forward to calibration posts, etc. One question I had, not concerned with settings, has to do with an appropriate wall mount. (Hope it's ok to ask this on this thread.) Can anyone recommend an articulating arm mount that will hold this panel? Will any of the single-stud mounts rated to 80 pounds max work with this panel, or do I need to get a beefier mount? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny50 /forum/post/0

I just purchased a samsung 4695, which I should receive in about 10 days. I'll be looking forward to calibration posts, etc. One question I had, not concerned with settings, has to do with an appropriate wall mount. (Hope it's ok to ask this on this thread.) Can anyone recommend an articulating arm mount that will hold this panel? Will any of the single-stud mounts rated to 80 pounds max work with this panel, or do I need to get a beefier mount? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I am in the same state... Mine is a 4095 and I saw the premier mounts which suggest to be able to hold 40" but the max weight of about 50lbs seems too low. again some others say they can hold upto 80 lbs but they are recommended only upto 37"

Very difficult to guess ... I think the best to do is to call the company that manufactures and ask.... costco has some good returns policy.... might be a good place to start.

#5 ·
I have been looking at the Sanus VM400B for my LN-S4096D. It claims an 80 lbs. capacity, which would be more than enough since the 40" LCD is only about 46 lbs w/o stand (if I remember correctly). What you may want to look at also is that the single stud models (like the VM400) only have an arm length of 20", so you may not be able to turn the monitor 90 degrees.

One thing I have not been able to find is how metal studs affect the capacity. The installation manual I found online recommended wood studs and said nothing about metal studs. Am I going to run into a big problem with this? I have a couple more weekends before I can put the mount up anyway, so I'll keep poking around to see if I can find an answer.

#6 ·
I have two questions related to my new 4695 that I thought I would be pushing it if I asked in the original thread so here it goes. I have a cable DVR box and and DVD recorder so I use HDMI1 and HDMI2. Nothing else is connected to the TV yet when I click source on the remote it goes through HDMI1, HDMI2 and Cable/ANT (although not connected). I don't want to cycle through 3 sources when I have only two. I orginially had cable connected for a test but not now. Any way to fix it that when I click source I only have the two sources? Like I said, the Ant/cable is no longer used on the TV (no cables are connected to it).

2nd question: I see a USB port in the back for "service" can that be used for anything else besides trouble shooting?

My impression after having my TV for a week...love it. Datavision came through. Also contrary to most postings, IMO sometimes SD is very good depending upon the channel (I use COMCAST). If you get close then it doesn't look so good but beyond six feet or more it usuallly looks much better than my old 36 inch JVC.

Tony

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyK2 /forum/post/0

I have two questions related to my new 4695 that I thought I would be pushing it if I asked in the original thread so here it goes. I have a cable DVR box and and DVD recorder so I use HDMI1 and HDMI2. Nothing else is connected to the TV yet when I click source on the remote it goes through HDMI1, HDMI2 and Cable/ANT (although not connected). I don't want to cycle through 3 sources when I have only two. I orginially had cable connected for a test but not now. Any way to fix it that when I click source I only have the two sources? Like I said, the Ant/cable is no longer used on the TV (no cables are connected to it).

2nd question: I see a USB port in the back for "service" can that be used for anything else besides trouble shooting?

My impression after having my TV for a week...love it. Datavision came through. Also contrary to most postings, IMO sometimes SD is very good depending upon the channel (I use COMCAST). If you get close then it doesn't look so good but beyond six feet or more it usuallly looks much better than my old 36 inch JVC.

Tony

On your first question, I noticed that as well when I switched between component and HDMI. It first had to go to antenna, but it did know that I had disconnected component and connected HDMI. I actually think this is impressive since most tvs make you scan through ALL the inputs. Knowing that the set automatically determines whether a source is active, I would doubt you can remove the antenna from the inputs since the set can't tell if an antenna is plugged in or not.

As for the USB port, Bear5k posted on the regular forum that he used it along with his software to calibrate his unit.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamste /forum/post/0

I have been looking at the Sanus VM400B for my LN-S4096D. .

Thanks, shamste and OJM for the wall-mount info. Turns out that a single stud mount probably won't work for my Sammy 4695 because there's no stud even close to the center area of where the panel will be, and thus I'll probably have to use a two-stud mount. The optional wall mount kits shown in the 4095/4695 manual look like a one-stud mount for the 4095 and a two-stud mount for the 4695. Plus, the 4695 manual mentions that the 4695 takes the 600mm x 400mm VESA mount pad, which may limit my choice to a larger two-stud mount anyway. (Does anyone with a 4695 know whether there are also holes for a 200mm x 200mm VESA pad like there are on the 4095?)

#9 ·
Anybody want to share some settings? I have been flopping back and forth between modes and settings, and haven't found the sweet spot yet!

I used the DVE disk, but depending on source haven't found it yet. I think I will be setting up three or four default settings.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitime2 /forum/post/0

Anybody want to share some settings? I have been flopping back and forth between modes and settings, and haven't found the sweet spot yet!

I used the DVE disk, but depending on source haven't found it yet. I think I will be setting up three or four default settings.

I'm hoping somebody comes through with some settings as well, to atleast get a good base. I'm haven't gotten a calibration dvd yet, so any settings right onw are prob better than what I've got now.

#12 ·
Finally bit the bullet on the Sanus VMAA18b.

I went to Costco yesterday and the guys there told me that he has installed some of the mounts that claim 80 lbs.... but dont really "feel" sturdy enough to hold a 40 inch given that we might move them a bit. He said there is a good chance that they will hold for ashort while but in the longer run for articulating arms with moving parts it is better to get something that can really hold a lot more weight ... for one he said a lot of the calibrations are performed with the mount not being extended... so it could really be misleading.

So I dissuaded myself from having to take the risk for about 50-100 dollars... went with a bigger one I found online (the guys was not trying to sell me something that COSTCO has.. so did trust him a bit when he talked about the way those joints started sagging after a few months). He also mentioned using the oil used for skates to maintain the moving parts ... hope this tip is correct and helps others as well. Will post once I get my wall mount and I myself put it up.

#13 ·
Need help for my new 4696d. I'm trying to set picture to what I like, and haven't even started to calibrate yet. Problem is the set automatically resets to Dynamic (torch) with full lamp every 20 to 30 minutes even when source remains the same!

Can anyone tell me what is going on, or how to access the service menu to figure out how to turn this off. It's really anoying, and must be shut off somehow. If not, I'm chucking this set for an XBR3.

#14 ·
Took delivery today of my 4095. Set-up was very easy with HDMI-1 and Cox Box (Motorola DCT6416). PQ very, very good.

But... slowly, but surely, strange full-screen vertical "pin-stripes" begin to appear. Faint at first (almost like digital noise), then more pronounced, until a fine HDTV image has vertical lines of varying color, roughly every inch or so. As the screen image changes, so does the color of the stripes. The green football field has pink stripes and the blue backgrounds in the stand have yellow portions. The talking heads on ESPN- HD really look like they are wearing old-time pin-stripe suits -- hence my name for the problem. Unfortunately, everything else does too.

Changed to HDMI-2, tried also component connection, and even disconnected Cox box and connected to an HDMI-ported Sony DVD player. No change. My other HDTV in living room has its normally very good PQ so it isn't the cable signal. Powered everyting off all around, rebooted STB, and even changed power source AC outlet. But all eventually exhibited same symptoms: at first great picture, then within 5-10 minutes, the "stripes."

I called Samsung and after a few routine and ineffective suggestions, a tech will be "contacting me soon." I'll post any results.

Anyone experienced anything similar? Any fixes or advice? Thanks.

For what it's worth: before the problem occurs, the PQ is outstanding.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmack /forum/post/0

Need help for my new 4696d. I'm trying to set picture to what I like, and haven't even started to calibrate yet. Problem is the set automatically resets to Dynamic (torch) with full lamp every 20 to 30 minutes even when source remains the same!

Can anyone tell me what is going on, or how to access the service menu to figure out how to turn this off. It's really anoying, and must be shut off somehow. If not, I'm chucking this set for an XBR3.

If it changes display settings on its own something must be wrong. I would say you need to have it checked or take it back.

#17 ·

Quote:

When you first went through the setup did you change it from store/showroom (forget the exact wording) to home? Mine did the same thing until I change the mode to home.

#18 ·
I have the LNs4095d. And this was an odd thing that happened to me. I first had the SA3100HD with component cables then changed to the SA 8300HD hd dvr with HDMI. For some reason, the component video connection looked better. I had both connections calibrated too. I don't know if it was the box or what. I even used component cables with the HD DVR and it still was worse pq than the SA3100HD. kinda odd, huh? so i returned the SA 8300HD. I really thought that the hdmi would have better pq, but was sad to see the results. Kinda sad, b/c i like the pip on the hd dvr. I can't get pip on the SA3100HD.

I did have some initial problems installing the HD DVR via HDMI though. Initially it said there was a problem with the hdcp. then i restarted my box, and it worked fine.

Anyone else have similar problems?

#20 ·

Quote:

I checked my set up menu and Picutre menu, but I don't have a setting for anything like Store/Home mode. Does this exist? It seems to be what the set is doing, but I need to find how to turn it off.

With the TV tuned to any channel, press the "info" button on your remote. The bottom of the screen will show the mode. It says "shop mode" on mine. I haven't tried to change this setting yet, but will experiment with it later.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_S /forum/post/0

With the TV tuned to any channel, press the "info" button on your remote. The bottom of the screen will show the mode. It says "shop mode" on mine. I haven't tried to change this setting yet, but will experiment with it later.

Info only brings up a box in the top left screen with the input setting, and the HD signal (1920x1080i @ 60Hz). Nothing on mode.

#22 ·

Quote:

Info only brings up a box in the top left screen with the input setting, and the HD signal (1920x1080i @ 60Hz). Nothing on mode.

If no mode shows, then it is already in "home" mode. To toggle the setting, push and hold the "menu" button on the Rt. side of the TV for five seconds.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_S /forum/post/0

If no mode shows, then it is already in "home" mode. To toggle the setting, push and hold the "menu" button on the Rt. side of the TV for five seconds.

Still doesn't state what mode it's in, but now TV acts normally.

Thank you, I think I've reached "home" mode.

Now, before I break out Digital Essentials, who's got good calibration settings?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.