Official Sharp Aquos 42D62U/46D62U/52D62U Owner's Thread (NO PRICE TALK!) - Page 128 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #3811 of 12248 Old 11-30-2006, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys after looknig at all the LCD's I found that I'm planning on getting a
52" Sharp LCD. What is this banding problem I hear all you guys talking about?

What do I look for? and should this stop me from buying the 52" Sharp

or if I get a TV with the banding problem with Sharp Replace it for me?

What do you guys think? I'm planning on getting the TV in the next day or two.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3812 of 12248 Old 11-30-2006, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrysDark View Post

Got a call today from Karen in Dispatch.

This is what she had to say.

She was just following up to let me know they are still working on finding the problem, there is no eta.

They still don't know what the problem is. They are working on it, she said many (didn't give me an exact figure) techs were working on the problem.

They are replacing sets, with pre-screened sets. With the holiday they are low on stock and are waiting to be replenished.

I asked if there was every going to be a resolution, I also voiced my fear about sharp deciding that the banding was "within spec" and that would be the end.

Karen assured me that this is NOT going to happen. Everyone who has this problem will either get their sets fixed (when/if they discover the issue) or have their sets replaced.

I hinted at being replaced with the next product line, she just laughed.

One thing, if you have received a pre-screened replacement that still has banding, DO NOT ACCEPT. Karen said she doesn't know about any people who are still having problems after replacement. If you are one of those people, please call them ASAP and provide feedback.

I have never called sharp other than to originally open my ticket over 3 weeks ago, since that time I have been called by Ken and now Karen saying they are going to take care of this.

Be Patient, Be Sharp!

I received the same call from Kara today. Nice to see they are being proactive. I'm keeping my set.

65C8P l 65B6P l P55-C1 l Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 & Elite 7.2 l XB1 X l PS4 Pro l Switch
post #3813 of 12248 Old 11-30-2006, 10:00 AM

Replaced the broken 42". Got a working one. I'm really happy with this thing, outside of some weird probs. Maybe someone can address:

1. Get like a muddy black, where no screen refreshing taking place. Like credit scrolling on a black background, but where the credits don't scroll, black starts to get blotchy until a refresh. What is this? Using new Cablevision HD box with HDMI connection.

2. On letterbox movies, the black borders constantly change from light black, to black, to flicker. Not very annoying, but interested to know what is causing this, and if it can be addressed.

Otherwise, picture is beautiful. No pixelation, freezing, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3814 of 12248 Old 11-30-2006, 10:23 AM

I talked to nice lady dispatcher from Sharp today regarding to my split screen issue. She took me through step-by-step factory initialization by using the service menu to see whether initialization will fix the split image and also she told me that she will call back in 15 minutes to see whether I have the same problem. I told her, it usually takes more than half hour to see the problem and told her that I will send an e-mail to her attention and hung up the phone. After factory initialization, I went through regular set-up to set the TV. I searched channels through air. As soon as search completed I moved one of the channel and suddenly screan becomes split screen with reverse images. I decided to call sharp dispatch to reach the lady who originally helped me. Another dispatcher answered and explained what happened and asked her to talk to the dispatcher who helped me before. She told me that she is busy and I asked her to pass my note directly her. At this moment she told me that why don't you take your unit back to Costco, we are not replacing any units. I told her that please pass my note to the other dispatcher and hung up.

The lesson from this, I believe depending on whom you get the phone you may hear different stories or approaches. Currently I don't know which one is true, but the lady who helped me told me that she will talk to her manager to replace my unit as soon as they have new shipment and promised to call me back today to give detailed info. I believe they move my file ahead of others due to the unusal problem I have. They want to see why my TV is putting split screen with reverse images.

End of story...
post #3815 of 12248 Old 11-30-2006, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post

You are just being cynical.

There are enough people on this forum with Sharp contacts that if this was totally bogus it would be called out.

If you think Sharp is just brushing this off and telling people they are going to replace their sets just to string them along that is just being crazy.

If they had no intention of resolving this issue they would just tell you the TV is operating within spec so return it if you don't like it.

Sharp is going to replace the sets of those who ask but I still believe they know the problem. When a bunch of Sharp executives meet and discuss what they should do about this, you can believe they have the information they need. Employees jump, including engineers, and executive decisions are made and already have been made.
post #3816 of 12248 Old 11-30-2006, 11:22 AM

Just purchsed a 46" set at Futureshop in canada. Made sure it was the 611 serial. Will report any issues once I have it setup later tonight.
post #3817 of 12248 Old 11-30-2006, 11:28 AM

It's good to hear that this banding issue is slowly being resolved. I've seen first hand 46" sets with and without at best buy and CompUSA respectively so the news is encouraging.... but those sizes are just a tad too large for my room 42"...so I might just wait till CES and Jan to see what's instore for the 92 series..
post #3818 of 12248 Old 11-30-2006, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary555 View Post

Sharp is going to replace the sets of those who ask but I still believe they know the problem. When a bunch of Sharp executives meet and discuss what they should do about this, you can believe they have the information they need. Employees jump, including engineers, and executive decisions are made and already have been made.

What do you mean "I still believe they know the problem"?

They come out and tell you they know about the problem. Why is this even a question?

Do you think someone at the customer service rep level can authorize on their own this many returns and for engineers to accompany replacement deliveries in early cases?
post #3819 of 12248 Old 11-30-2006, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

They come out and tell you they know about the problem. Why is this even a question?

Do you think someone at the customer service rep level can authorize on their own this many returns and for engineers to accompany replacement deliveries in early cases?

Maybe he just thinks there should be a recall on all sets. We really don't know how larger the banding issue is but I'm just glad Sharp is doing something proactive for their customers paying customers. It comes down to if you notice a problem and report it to Sharp they'll take care of it. Can't get any easier then that. Sure I had my questions about the process but sometimes a phone call like I got today makes things a lot better.

65C8P l 65B6P l P55-C1 l Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 & Elite 7.2 l XB1 X l PS4 Pro l Switch
post #3820 of 12248 Old 11-30-2006, 11:54 AM

Quote:

I believe what he means is that they know what is causing the problem, as opposed to just knowing some problem exists.
post #3821 of 12248 Old 11-30-2006, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombstylz View Post

Just purchsed a 46" set at Futureshop in canada. Made sure it was the 611 serial. Will report any issues once I have it setup later tonight.

please send a picture if you find you have a good set. allso anyone have any info or links to the 92 series sets
post #3822 of 12248 Old 11-30-2006, 12:11 PM

Funny you should say that.The 1st set i picked up had a problem like that.When i played my xbox video game(hockey).The ice had red shades emitting fom the red circles on the ice.Only place i noticed it,but never had that problem on my dlp,nor the set i am returning now.All color settings were set the same on both 52' lcds,by the way.It was one of the 1st things i checked when i got this one and was glad it wasn't there(until the banding showed up,that is)
post #3823 of 12248 Old 11-30-2006, 12:11 PM

Can anyone with some knowledge on the service menu answer this? There is a temperature option on the first page of the service menu, mine is set on 5D. But I have seen it set at 5E. Does this change dyanamically or is there something wrong?
Also is there any place I can find all the listed settings on the service menu and their default values?
post #3824 of 12248 Old 11-30-2006, 12:25 PM

Unofficial Sharp d62u Banding FAQ

1. What is banding?

Banding is name for a defect that occurs on *some* of Sharp's d62u LCD TVs.
In the AVS forum this defect has been reported on 42, 46 and 52 size TVs.

Banding is best described as stripes or bands of reduced brightness a few inches wide running across the display. These bands can run horizontally or vertically.

The bands range from very severe in some sets to quite subtle and may not be visible under most viewing circumstances. In general bands will be most notable when viewing a solid grey image.

Obviously a flat grey box is not something most people watch on their TVs. However the more an image resembles a flat grey field, the more it will display this defect if present. Slowly moving images of low contrast and saturation, such as may be found when playing some video games (for example turning around slowly in a room made of concrete) or watching some movies (for example in Master and Commander when the camera is focused on the subtle outline of a ship appearing through grey fog) will display the bands. Depending on the severity of the banding present on any given TV, more common images (for example a blank wall behind an actor) may also display the banding.

Generally if the banding is visible during normal use, viewers have found the banding to be an unacceptable defect of the TV. On the other hand viewers with sets that do display banding under the grey screen test' described above, or on occasional scenes, have said that the banding is livable, though many expect a repair or replacement from Sharp. Of course many other viewers have reported no banding or defects at all on their TVs.

You can search the thread for photos posted by people for whom the banding is clearly visible on a test screen.

Banding as used with regards to this defect, should not be confused with a common term of the art known as "color banding" or usually "banding" for short. Color banding occurs when an image with a smooth gradient from one color to another, or from dark to light is down sampled to a lower color resolution resulting in visible bands of color. The fix for color banding is dithering or displaying at higher color depths. It has nothing to do with banding in this context, though on compressed images, videos and videos games color banding could look occasionally very similar to this "banding" problem.

2. Does it happen to every set?

No.

There is a poll on this forum where owners can report whether they have banding. Please not this is not a statistically relevant sample, or even a representative sampling. By the nature of the setup, folks with problems are more likely to respond and even seek out this forum to begin with.

3. How common is banding?

We can't really tell. Sharp has made no announcements about it and evidence from stores is anecdotal at best. Short of a leak of confidential information from inside Sharp it is unlikely that we will ever know the actual magnitude of the problem.

Given the volume of posts on this issue it's a safe guess to say that this problem is more common among the Sharp d62u line than some of the similar problems reported among owners of Sony and Samsung LCDs of similar sizes. It is however a guess.

There is a poll on this forum where owners can report whether they have banding. Please not this is not a statistically relevant sample, or even a representative sampling. By the nature of the setup, folks with problems are more likely to respond and even seek out this forum to begin with.

4. How bad is it?

It depends on the set.

There appears to be no relationship between TV size and severity of banding.

There appears to be no relationship between serial number and *severity* of banding, although there has been some speculation that higher serial numbered sets are less *likely* to exhibit banding.

5. Yes, but how bad of a problem is banding if a set has it?

It depends on the set.

The bands range from very severe in some sets to quite subtle and may not be visible under most viewing circumstances. In general bands will be most notable when viewing a solid grey image.

Obviously a flat grey box is not something most people watch on their TVs. However the more an image resembles a flat grey field, the more it will display this defect if present. Slowly moving images of low contrast and saturation, such as may be found when playing some video games (for example turning around slowly in a room made of concrete) or watching some movies (for example in Master and Commander when the camera is focused on the subtle outline of a ship appearing through grey fog) will display the bands. Depending on the severity of the banding present on any given TV, more common images (for example a blank wall behind an actor) may also display the banding.

Generally if the banding is visible during normal use, viewers have found the banding to be an unacceptable defect of the TV. On the other hand viewers with sets that do display banding under the grey screen test' described above, or on occasional scenes, have said that the banding is livable, though many expect a repair or replacement from Sharp. Of course many other viewers have reported no banding or defects at all on their TVs.

6. What about sizes? Does it affect every size?

7. Can I tell if a set will have banding by checking the Serial number?

No.

There appears to be no relationship between serial number and *severity* of banding, although there has been some speculation that higher serial numbered sets are less *likely* to exhibit banding.

Serial numbers beginning with 610 have had banding, but also have sets that are perfect. Personally I am a happy owner of a band free 610 set.

Serial numbers beginning with 611 have banding as of this time, but also have sets that are perfect. In general the impression on the forum is that far fewer of the 611 sets have banding, however this is only a guess at best.

8. How do I know if I have banding?

If the banding is not visible during casual viewing (which is likely the case) you will have to display an image on the screen to test.

The two easiest ways to do this are:
a. Display a flat grey image on the screen using a computer. That's what I did to verify my set was fine. I drew a flat grey box in Power Point, hooked up the computer via HDMI, and filled the screen with the box.

b. Open the service menu on the TV which has a flat grey test screen. WARNING. Screwing around in the service menu can damage your TV, so be careful! Accessing the menu will may void your warranty. Screwing around accidentally in it may damage your set. I do not recommend testing your set this way (although it is much more convenient than hooking up a PC to it).

Once you have a flat grey screen up, sit at your normal viewing distance and height and check to see if it is even or if there are any bands or other defects.

If the bands are subtle in a completely grey screen they will likely be invisible during normal viewing.

Also note that your eye is not a fixed instrument. Each light receptive cell in your eyeball changes it's light sensitivity based on what it's seeing. If you stare for a little bit at a flat grey screen your eye will start adjusting and as it moves around looking for bands you may see after images of the horizontal and vertical frames of the TV set (which is much darker). What you are looking for should be fixed in position and darkness/brightness.

If you like, take a picture of your TV and upload it to this forum where members will obsessively detect potential banding in scan line artifacts and jpeg compression artifacts. Sometimes they can find real banding too.

You can search the thread for photos posted by people for whom the banding is clearly visible on a test screen.

9. How do I access the service menu?

Search this thread for instructions. Accessing the menu may void your warranty. Screwing around accidentally in it may damage your set. I do not recommend testing your set this way (although it is much more convenient than hooking up a PC to it).

10. Aieee! I have banding! What do I do?

Don't panic. Really.

You have two choices:
a. Return the set to the store you purchased it from. This should be easy of you bought it from a local retailer like BB or CC, but may be impossible if you mail ordered it. Get a new set and test it again. You will have to use your own judgment on whether you should wait for a particular serial number or when to give up on exchanging sets if you get multiple bum sets.

b. Call Sharp. 1-800-BE-SHARP. Numerous members of this forum have reported that Sharp is aware of the problem and has promised them a repair or exchange. Be prepared to take pictures of the set and email it to them. If you are counting on Sharp to respond to and deal with your problem you may also want to contact the retailer where you purchased it. It's possible they may agree to extend your return period on the chance that you will be satisfied with Sharp's solution (otherwise they may have to deal with your returning it immediately). If you do so, you should make sure to get a return period extension in writing. Many retailers also offer extended return periods during the holidays.

My personal rule of thumb is don't be miserable. Make sure that any choice you make makes you happy and confident. It's a lot of money, but it's only a TV!

11. Can I fix banding in the service menu?

Nope.

12. What causes banding?

Nobody knows.

There has been speculation that the banding is part of the backlight process. There has also been speculation that it might be a defect in the LCD because it's similar to a defect found in some LCD projectors.

If I had to fanwank, I'd vote for micro misalignment on the horizontal and vertical backlight diffusers because it's supposedly a new process and it seems like it would account for horizontal and vertical banding. Frankly though I'd much rather speculate pointlessly about whether the new Battlestar Galactica destroyed 3 or 4 Cylon Basestars in the Battle of New Caprica. The recorded evidence in both cases is just as definitive and our conclusions will have exactly the same impact.

13. What other problems might my set have?

There have been some reports of screen smudges, image mirroring, and poor viewing angle. In theory your TV could blow up, catch on fire, or just refuse to turn on.

My TV refused to turn on right after I first hooked it up. Honest. I had however forgotten to plug it in since I was carefully following the printed instructions and connecting every other cable before power.

This is the banding FAQ, you'll have to search the thread for other issues.

14. What about viewing angle problems?

I have the impression that poor viewing angle is related to banding problems. This is my impression from one read through of the entire thread. It is not reported nearly as commonly as the banding.

If you feel you have a poor viewing angle I suggest you check for banding.

15. How about settings what setting should I use on my TV?

I don't know. This is a FAQ for banding. Banding is such a hot topic a separate thread has been created to talk about settings and that got filled with banding chatter as well!

16. What is Sharp going to do?

Numerous members of this forum have reported that Sharp is aware of the problem and has promised them a repair or exchange.

Several board members have reported that Sharp has exchanged their sets. Unfortunately it appears that some of the exchanged sets also exhibited banding.

Others have reported that Sharp is starting a new screening process and will begin exchanging sets once holiday supplies to their distribution channels are filled.

17. Sharp should make an announcement, apologize! Someone should commit Hari-Kari!

Not likely.

Sharp is responding to individuals. If you have a problem you should contact them. If you sell the sets you should get better informed than by just reading this FAQ and probably also contact them.

Quality control problems happen. I've been to numerous assembly lines in my life, including Sharp's Nara facility for cellphones. The plants in Japan are not exclusively filled with earnest young samurai/monks in white bunny suits, and plants in Mexico are not filled with dirty children running barefoot on dirt floors. You see the same kinds of folks in all manufacturing jobs around the planet. Quality control is a process not a racial characteristic.

Somebody may get fired, or more likely their performance review will not be as stellar. You will never hear about it or get any kind of personal satisfaction or vindication of any outrage you may have.

If you have a problem Sharp will deal with you and you will have to be the judge of how satisfied you are with that treatment.

18. I hear Sharp is screwing their customers, can we start a lawsuit?

From all reports Sharp is responding to all complaints. Numerous members of this forum have reported that Sharp is aware of the problem and has promised them a repair or exchange.

Apparently everyone with a defective TV is being promised a solution, though not necessarily as quickly they would like.

The definition of screwing the customer is somewhat hazy an open to interpretation.

I personally would be unhappy to have paid a premium for a fancy new TV only to find it had quality control problems. However this is the real world and in the real world, bad things happen. Sharp would be smart to compensate customers who have suffered from these problems in some way, but that's a customer care, brand loyalty based opinion.

With regards to their legal obligations in selling the sets or dealing with customers who purchased the sets you'll have to ask a lawyer. If you ask around on this forum, I'm sure you'll find lots of wannabes.

19. What about the AVS layer? Is it applied to these LCDs? Does it affect banding?

Originally posted by lorenzow:

The AVS layer is actually applied after manufacturing. It is a virtual layer that sits between the TV and the back of the chair. It comes into effect after visiting the AV Science forum. It causes visual distortion and hallucinations followed by extreme anxiety, obsessive compulsive behavior (endless peering at gray screens), paranoia and feelings of persecution. It is sometimes resolved by returning the TV but often leads to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder which causes the sufferer to return to AVS long after return of the TV to demand retribution from Sharp and insisting that everyone must install the AVS layer.

20. Should I buy one of these sets?

The big question!

Well it's up to you. Hopefully now you're oriented on the banding issue, though to be informed you should not just rely on what one newbie posts as a half assed FAQ but read up for yourself.

That being said, most of what is posted is alarmist and in my personal opinion will not tell you much more. I personally was paralyzed by fear from reading too much on this forum! Worse, instead of looking forward to getting a TV, I was miserable and filled with anxiety.

Now that is just silly! It's only a TV. We're dealing with reputable retailers and manufacturers. You're not going to be dumping the purchase price for a piece of inert and useless plastic. The question whether you'll have to deal with any hassle of returns or Sharp service.

Since the TV is my birthday present, my wife ran out of patience with me and basically said, Get what you want, and if there's any problems, lets get it from a store that will let you return for an exchange.

That was good enough for me. The choice is yours, but whatever you do, so something that makes you happy, don't just spend hours in anxiety reading the internet. Do something that gets you onto enjoying life, whether it's an HDTV from another manufacturer or playing ball in the park!

My 2c.

21. What about abbreviations? What is QC? OPC? CC? BB? RTFM?

QC is Quality Control.
OPC is a Sharp feature for adjusting backlight based on ambient light.
CC and BB refer to Circuit City and Best Buy.
Other acronyms you're on your own though a search of the forums or the internet usually gives quick results.

22. You keep telling us to search the thread instead of answering questions! How do I do that?

At the top message listing you will find a menu on the hand side of the page labeled Search this Thread. Its kind of hard to see among all the visual clutter of the page.

23. Who wrote this? Who are you? Why did you bother?

My name on this board is adorablerocket, and generally most folks who know me believe that's apt. I work in computer graphics, so I am visually anal retentive, but really a TV and HDTV newbie. I wrote this because I wish I had a FAQ like this when I bought my TV and I got annoyed by folks posting the same question instead of reading or searching the thread. Then I thought, instead of being annoyed why don't I do something constructive?

Thanks to everyone who's posted kind words about the FAQ, I hope it's helpful!

Unnoficial Sharp d62u "banding" FAQ <- Read this if you have questions about 'banding', wondering if you have it, or what to do if you do!
post #3825 of 12248 Old 11-30-2006, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruskev View Post

Can anyone with some knowledge on the service menu answer this? There is a temperature option on the first page of the service menu, mine is set on 5D. But I have seen it set at 5E. Does this change dyanamically or is there something wrong?
Also is there any place I can find all the listed settings on the service menu and their default values?

Perhaps its just reporting the internal temperature, in hexadecimal notation (94 degrees)?
post #3826 of 12248 Old 11-30-2006, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorablerocket View Post

A fine job; really!
post #3827 of 12248 Old 11-30-2006, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by adorablerocket

I sit here stunned with the quality of your research, conciseness, and sheer volume of information. For lack of a better word.....WOW
Great job!
post #3828 of 12248 Old 11-30-2006, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amert20 View Post

I talked to nice lady dispatcher from Sharp today regarding to my split screen issue. She took me through step-by-step factory initialization by using the service menu to see whether initialization will fix the split image and also she told me that she will call back in 15 minutes to see whether I have the same problem. I told her, it usually takes more than half hour to see the problem and told her that I will send an e-mail to her attention and hung up the phone. After factory initialization, I went through regular set-up to set the TV. I searched channels through air. As soon as search completed I moved one of the channel and suddenly screan becomes split screen with reverse images. I decided to call sharp dispatch to reach the lady who originally helped me. Another dispatcher answered and explained what happened and asked her to talk to the dispatcher who helped me before. She told me that she is busy and I asked her to pass my note directly her. At this moment she told me that why don't you take your unit back to Costco, we are not replacing any units. I told her that please pass my note to the other dispatcher and hung up.

The lesson from this, I believe depending on whom you get the phone you may hear different stories or approaches. Currently I don't know which one is true, but the lady who helped me told me that she will talk to her manager to replace my unit as soon as they have new shipment and promised to call me back today to give detailed info. I believe they move my file ahead of others due to the unusal problem I have. They want to see why my TV is putting split screen with reverse images.

End of story...

New Update

Sharp Dispatcher called me and left voice message as she promised before. In the message, she told that they will be replacing my unit immediately with the unit completely checked by SHARP. She specifically told that they have several units and they have been screened in their lab before sending out.
post #3829 of 12248 Old 11-30-2006, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Nice job. Can it be stickied at the beginning?

Larry
post #3830 of 12248 Old 11-30-2006, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3260 Post(s)
Liked: 2898
Send a message via Yahoo to dad1153
Already done lorenzow (check the first post)!
post #3831 of 12248 Old 11-30-2006, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabber View Post

I believe what he means is that they know what is causing the problem, as opposed to just knowing some problem exists.

So the point then would be with no knowledge of what has transpired at Sharp's meetings he comes to the conclusion they must know about the cause and have no desire to fix it thereby prolonging customer returns and bad impressions. I'm sorry, I just don't believe that.

When the cause *and* fix are found, they will be implemented on the production line. It makes no sense to do otherwise.
post #3832 of 12248 Old 11-30-2006, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabber View Post

Yes, thank you. I believe they had a high level meeting, were told the cause of the banding and you are seeing the results of how they decided to handle it.
post #3833 of 12248 Old 11-30-2006, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary555 View Post

Yes, thank you. I believe they had a high level meeting, were told the cause of the banding and you are seeing the results of how they decided to handle it.

I'm sorry I shouldn't have responded to your original post. It is pointless to speculate about what was or wasn't said in some hypothetical meeting where none of us were present and may or may not have taken place and could or couldn't have had a cause to banding discussed. You can't verify it and it won't help you get a TV that you will be happy with.

How about this theory, which I'm completely making up. I seriously think they had a high-level meeting and since the executives felt bad about the banding problem and since it happened around Christmas, they decided to give all the affected customers a Christmas gift of a free upgrade to the D92 when it becomes available. This, in theory, will only apply to customers who purchase before Christmas because it is a Christmas gift.

There, prove that didn't happen at the hypothetical high-level executive meeting.
post #3834 of 12248 Old 11-30-2006, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

10. Aieee! I have banding! What do I do?

Don't panic. Really.

You have two choices:
a. Return the set to the store you purchased it from. This should be easy of you bought it from a local retailer like BB or CC, but may be impossible if you mail ordered it. Get a new set and test it again. You will have to use your own judgment on whether you should wait for a particular serial number or when to give up on exchanging sets if you get multiple bum sets.
b. Call Sharp. 1-800-BE-SHARP. Numerous members of this forum have reported that Sharp is aware of the problem and has promised them a repair or exchange. Be prepared to take pictures of the set and email it to them.

My personal rule of thumb is don't be miserable. Make sure that any choice you make makes you happy and confident. It's a lot of money, but it's only a TV!

Hey that is awesome FAQ. It is great that someone decided to be constructive with their time and post.

There is a third combo option of a/b where you call Sharp and you explain to BB/CC about the problem and that Sharp has promised you a replacement and see if the manager will extend your return period. I think all return periods are extended for Christmas purchases until the new year anyway at some of these retailers, but it doesn't hurt to have them put it in writing that they acknowledge you have reported the problem and you would have returned it directly to them right then and there (within the normal return period) except you are willing to see how Sharp resolves the problem.
post #3835 of 12248 Old 11-30-2006, 02:32 PM

Quote:

Hey that is awesome FAQ. It is great that someone decided to be constructive with their time and post.

There is a third combo option of a/b where you call Sharp and you explain to BB/CC about the problem and that Sharp has promised you a replacement and see if the manager will extend your return period. I think all return periods are extended for Christmas purchases until the new year anyway at some of these retailers, but it doesn't hurt to have them put it in writing that they acknowledge you have reported the problem and you would have returned it directly to them right then and there (within the normal return period) except you are willing to see how Sharp resolves the problem.

BB has a 60 day price match that started this last weekend for HDTVs.

jw
post #3836 of 12248 Old 11-30-2006, 03:00 PM

Just got a call from the shipping company, they wanted to know if I could take delivery of the replacement set... tomorrow AM. Yup, I'm taking the day off!! ;-) I was in-line about 30 days from ticket opened to replacement set. Pretty good job Sharp! I'm not sure if I'll be able to sleep much tonight; pretty sad that I'm almost 40 and this feels like Christmas morning :-) Yes, I'll report accordingly. I have all appendages crossed... gonna' be a looong night...
post #3837 of 12248 Old 11-30-2006, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by beberle View Post

Just got a call from the shipping company, they wanted to know if I could take delivery of the replacement set... tomorrow AM. Yup, I'm taking the day off!! ;-) I was in-line about 30 days from ticket opened to replacement set. Pretty good job Sharp! I'm not sure if I'll be able to sleep much tonight; pretty sad that I'm almost 40 and this feels like Christmas morning :-) Yes, I'll report accordingly. I have all appendages crossed... gonna' be a looong night...

I along with everyone else in the thread are hoping you the best.
post #3838 of 12248 Old 11-30-2006, 03:11 PM

I have a 609 set, have banding, though only recently called it in due to being completely slammed at work. Another good dvd in which banding will show is "Ice Age". For me, the opening sequence showed it as clearly as a gray test pattern (I used Avia). Anyway, I played with some of the settings to see how it affected the visiblity of the banding.

Increasing the backlight seemed to wash it out a bit but not obscure it. This is contrary to some posts which encourage increasing the backlight to show the banding.

Lowering contrast made it more visible. Conversely, the higher the contrast, the less visible it was.

Lowering brightness made it only slightly more visible.

Color, tint, sharpness - no noticeable impact

So, my theory is that given the default settings are pretty much torch mode (in particular the backlight and contrast are set high) that this may have made it more difficult to detect the problem or made it seem minor when it was not. Many people will dial down the settings to something more reasonable and/or do calibrations with a dvd or software. These more realistic settings make the banding more visible.

Ironically, from an exchange between some other member and Mike53, this OP commented that the Sharp sets on the floor looked pale and washed out in comparison to the competition because the competition all had their sets in demo (torch) mode so that the set and the colors would capture people's attention. With the 62 series it looks like Sharp responded with similar default settings.

Well, just a theory.
Neal
post #3839 of 12248 Old 11-30-2006, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just got off the phone with Kara from Sharp. (Very nice woman by the way) She said that they just got done testing a bunch of units that arrived yesterday and they would like to send me one. I confirmed my address with her and a credit card number incase I decide to run off with both sets. Should be here sometime next week. She couldn't give me any confirmation on the serial number.

post #3840 of 12248 Old 11-30-2006, 03:38 PM

Anyone??? Concerning the hallow... Seems to happen on dark backgorund, but not black (ie red over blue... light blue over dark blue)... Is it related to compression, TV, all LCD. Or could it be related to banding, which i seem to have a lot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuivo View Post

Hey all,

Just pickup the 46" on friday and wow, what a picture... Starwars and shrek (DVD) look incredible!!

Only thing, i've do got banding, on the center, 2 large band. My serial is a 610. I have up to january 8th to return it, so I will call and exchange it when they have a 611 in stock.

The only thing bugging me now is I've watch finding nemo with my girl friend yesterday. In some scene, you see Nemo and Dorie (red fish, blue fish) surronded by a big halo of red and blue light respectively. Like if the brightness of the fish was too bright for the screen to resolve it... Anyone saw that? I hope this is not normal with LCD, it's my first HDTV and I don't recall seeing a problem like taht regarding LCD. But for me, it's definitively a big problem. Some scene, with dark backgorund, the halo is almost bigger than the fish!!

I'm using a Sony Upscale DVD, in 1080i (even if it does the same thing in 720p)... using HDMI connection.

Can you help on this???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Aquos Lc42d62u 42 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page