Official Samsung LN-TXX61F/65F/66F Owner's Thread III - with *updated* first post. - Page 629 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #18841 of 19653 Old 05-02-2009, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by weighman View Post

I have the same issue on my LN-T5265F. You mentioned that the original capacitor is rated as 10V 1000uf Radial Lead type. You replaced them with 35V 1000uf. Will this work with my unit if I replace them with the 35V instead of 10V?

If you see that they are bad visually........ any cap of 10V or better will work as long as it fits the space available. The voltage is the max rating not standard currant usage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18842 of 19653 Old 05-04-2009, 05:55 PM

Well looks like I am in the same boat with you folks bad power supply in my 4061 .

Lucky for me I bought the service plan so not costing me anything .

I also am getting them to replace the panel and was told they are going to replace the main board also.

My big question is there a place that I can look up the number on the panel and see if its as good (or better as I was told ) then the panel thats in the 4061 now?

I work at best buy and will be able to get the number off the panel when it comes in .( I work in inventory at the store the service folks have thier parts sent to ).

I could have tried to get the set replaced but he told me that the new panel would be much better and with the other parts would be way ahead of the game and my service plan would still be good for another 2 years
post #18843 of 19653 Old 05-04-2009, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Why replace the panel and main board if you have a bad PS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18844 of 19653 Old 05-04-2009, 08:41 PM

Hi guys ive been fighting this display turning off issue for 4 months. It first occured around Christmas '08. I turn on the tv...display comes on at first but 2 seconds later you can hear some buzzing and the backlight flickers then goes off. I called tech support and they said it was up to me paying to get it fixed as my default 1yr warranty was up 3 months prior . I searched the web and was told to power it off and let it hard reset, at the time most others reporting this problem had no luck with repairs actually fixing it long term. I tried the hard reset leaving it unpowered for awhile. 3 days later it started working again (probably just random luck) and lasted for another 4 months before flaking out again last week (same issue). Ive had it off for a week and this time it didnt come back. I gave up and ordered a new 47" tv (non samsung).

I dont want to get rid of the samsung if a fix can be done for a reasonable price but before calling a tech I decided to take my samsung apart and take a look. Nothing obvious was loose or burnt out and I didnt notice any bulging caps. I put it back together and tried one last time to turn it on and what do you know it's working again WTF is causing this?

Has anyone found a solution to this ?
post #18845 of 19653 Old 05-04-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasman View Post

Why replace the panel and main board if you have a bad PS?

Because I pointed out the clouding issue with the panel and got them to agree to replace it along with the power supply.

I was then told that replacement of the panel ment getting a new main board as the panel it self would be different as they do not make the same panel thats in it anymore.

Does anyone know of a sit that you can see what panels are in what tv ?
post #18846 of 19653 Old 05-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

I'm surprised they are not giving you a replacement TV. You are only keeping a plastic case and a couple of boards.
post #18847 of 19653 Old 05-04-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasman View Post

I'm surprised they are not giving you a replacement TV. You are only keeping a plastic case and a couple of boards.

Because the cost of repairs is less then the $1600 I paid for the set back in the day

I was hoping they would replace the set I could get a new 40" and may be a 19 for the bathroom and a blu ray player these days
post #18848 of 19653 Old 05-08-2009, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Hi folks. I am in need of some major help. I've had my Sammy LNT-4061F set for almost two years now. I calibrated my TV to my liking a couple of months after I got it using an avia disc. Pleased as punch with the picture ever since.

That is, until now. You see, about a month ago, something on the motherboard went, and everything on my hdmi inputs went purple when connected to any of them. Service guy came out, replaced motherboard, and everything seemed fine.

But after watching tv and blu-rays on my PS3 for a little bit now, and reverting to my previous calibration settings, I noticed some major problems. The picture did not look right at all. I ran the avia disc, and it actually seemed to look worse after that. No matter what I did, everything always looked washed out, and the colors did not look right at all.

So, I just ordered this new Spears and Munsil High Def Benchmark Blu-ray edition to run on my PS3 for calibration. Went through the process, and ran into major headaches involving the contrast test pattern. No matter how I adjust my Contrast level, the screen always looks like the "incorrect" pattern screen, not the "correct" version. It all revolves around the whites. The numbered white bars on the bottom screen never show up (just faint outlines of the bars that are on the very left of the screen, plus i can't evenmake out numbers on the couple of bars that are BARELY there), and the bars in the black part of the screen on top aren't visible below 19, no matter what I do with that either.

Also, I just now noticed that on the dynamic range low test, if you turn the brightness all the way up to confirm that all the lower levels are being sent to the display, NONE of the levels below 18 show up as they should, even at brightness 100. All I get is just white screen.

As I said before, the disc is being used in a PS3, with the YCbCr video setting, with super whites on.

I've tried suggestions of other avs members in another thread, located here:
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post16421886

And no luck with any of those suggestions. I am very, very frustrated. I would assume this is obviously the source of my problems, as no matter how much I adjust the contrast levels during the tests, I can't get it to properly calibrate. I was told to post here in this part of the forum by the other avs members; can anyone out there please help me? What should I do next?

And sorry in advance, I'm still a newbie at calibrating... I don't understand some of the tech talk, like what is found in this thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1139456

I've posted this same message in the calibration section of avs. Sorry to do that, but I want to make sure I get as much help as i can get, and I wasn't sure if this more belongs in the calibration section of the forum, or the LNT-4061f owner's thread.

Thanks again everybody. I would appreciate as much help/advice everyone would be willing to give me!
post #18849 of 19653 Old 05-14-2009, 05:06 PM

Well they came and replaced every thing in my 4061f today .

I have a new panel v400h-L01 and new power supply and main board .

Only thing old in the tv are the speakers and some metal frame work .

Does anyone know where you can find specs on the panels

The new one is made in taiwan and the old one was korea hope its nopt a step down in quailty
post #18850 of 19653 Old 05-19-2009, 04:33 PM

i have an samsung ln-t4065f, have jad it just over a year now, and i have an hd dvd and a blu eay hooked up to it both via hdmi, the blu ray on hdmi 1 and the hd dvd on hdmi 2, just recently noticed here the last week or so that from time to time the tv does not see anything hooked up to hdmi 2. usually when you scroll thrugh the sources itll scroll thrugh every input that it see something on, now one day itll see the hd dvd player and the next it wont. has anyone seen this? it is the tv or the hd dvd player, and assistance would be greatly appreciated
post #18851 of 19653 Old 05-21-2009, 09:33 PM

It appears i too am experiencing the power supply issue on my 4061f. Upon turning it on it goes through the clicking and Light blinking cycle at least twice before it comes on.Only thing is, when it does come on the entire screen is in shades of magenta.I've read about people saying they had dots of magenta all over the screen, but i'm not sure i noticed a post of the entire picture being a hue of magenta.If i turn off my Directv box and turn it back on, the picture is then fine, likewise if i turn the tv off and then back on, that too will correct the picture.I'm not sure if that particular symptom has been mentioned or not, so i just wanted to throw that out there. I'll be taking it apart this weekend to confirm the capacitor issue and then i'll be replacing the caps during the week assuming that is indeed the problem.Thanks for everyone that's posted about this issue and the fix.I'll be back to give an update after the deed is done.
post #18852 of 19653 Old 05-21-2009, 11:47 PM

I purchased a Samsung 4665 in December 07 (manufactured August 2007).Hdmi problems,and the sharpness issue led to having my mainboard changed (Trident to Cortez 1020 firmware).The problem was worse with all hdmi connections,and still had the sharpness issue.After several visits from the tech the repair shop deemed the set unrepairrable.My set was now out of warranty. Now here comes the good part.Samsungs field engineer told me that the problem is solvable if I use my component connections.You could figure this one out that I was livid.How the hell does switching to component solve an Hdmi problem.I purchased this set for Hdmi connectivity and you guys (Samsung) tell me to use component.Well after about a weeks of arguing with their ECR department,I was finally offered a prorated exchange.Which turned out to be a 400.00 flat fee for a LN46B650 delivered.As you could imagine I was very happy with their offer.The B650 arrived last Thursday and believe me it is like night and day between the two sets.I also get a new full 1 year warranty because I upgraded to a new model.I will be a loyal Samsung customer from now on. I will say this did take somewhat of a fight but it was worth it.I went up 2 years in technology and had put (with the help of my 3 children) 2,000+ hours on the old LNT4665.I think my nightmare just turned into a dream come true.I would like to say thanks to everyone who posted information on the 4665 series as it was with this wealth of information was I able to intelligently argue my case to this resolution.
post #18853 of 19653 Old 05-22-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmanley View Post

Thank you for this post. My 18 month old (out of warranty) LN-T4665F started doing the multiple start-up clicks and tones a few days ago. After it finally did come up there was pixilation of the screen in many different colors. I was able to turn it off and back on and the screen would be back to normal. Yesterday morning the screen came up with multiple vertical pixel rows on 4-6 different locations on the screen with a few scattered pixilation spots here and there. Restarting the TV did no good this time. BTW my board specs are 1009/1032.

I got on AVS and did a search and found this thread. When I got to your post it made sense that your problem was in the ball park with the Capacitors bulging. I took the back off my TV and got the EMI/EMC cover off the power supply board. Sure enough I had three 10V 1000uf Radial Lead type capacitors bulging. Did I mention that I'm an Electronics tech but I hate board level work. Still I have a good soldering station and stuff so I got 3 new 1000uf 35V Radial Lead capacitors from Radio Shack and replaced the bad ones with them. (they are polarized and have to be installed correctly but the circuit board is marked for the solid bar on the capacitors) My TV is back to normal and only took about an hours worth of work total. TV needed a good cleaning anyway.

I hope this helps someone else with the same problem. If your just a little electronically inclined this is an easy fix. Maybe you have a friend that can solder and de-solder components. Save the agony and give it a try and maybe you'll be as happy as I am right now. I love my LN-T4665F

slivel, your in the same boat from your description. Go for it buddy.

You just saved me $500. That is what the repair center wanted to replace my Power Supply. I read your post and popped the back off my TV and what do I see. Bulging capacitors. I had about 5 bad ones. I replaced them by soldering on new ones and everything works as new!

Thanks for posting your resolution!
post #18854 of 19653 Old 05-23-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmanley View Post

Thank you for this post. My 18 month old (out of warranty) LN-T4665F started doing the multiple start-up clicks and tones a few days ago. After it finally did come up there was pixilation of the screen in many different colors. I was able to turn it off and back on and the screen would be back to normal. Yesterday morning the screen came up with multiple vertical pixel rows on 4-6 different locations on the screen with a few scattered pixilation spots here and there. Restarting the TV did no good this time. BTW my board specs are 1009/1032.

I got on AVS and did a search and found this thread. When I got to your post it made sense that your problem was in the ball park with the Capacitors bulging. I took the back off my TV and got the EMI/EMC cover off the power supply board. Sure enough I had three 10V 1000uf Radial Lead type capacitors bulging. Did I mention that I'm an Electronics tech but I hate board level work. Still I have a good soldering station and stuff so I got 3 new 1000uf 35V Radial Lead capacitors from Radio Shack and replaced the bad ones with them. (they are polarized and have to be installed correctly but the circuit board is marked for the solid bar on the capacitors) My TV is back to normal and only took about an hours worth of work total. TV needed a good cleaning anyway.

I hope this helps someone else with the same problem. If your just a little electronically inclined this is an easy fix. Maybe you have a friend that can solder and de-solder components. Save the agony and give it a try and maybe you'll be as happy as I am right now. I love my LN-T4665F

slivel, your in the same boat from your description. Go for it buddy.

Big shout out to Nmanley for posting this fix. I took the panel off my TV and checked out the board. Guess what I found? I had four 1000uf caps bulging. Went to my local Radio Shack they only had two so I had to find two more from a old VCR and computer monitor. Which of course added to my repair time. Replaced the four bad caps and my LN-T4065F is working great again. I had been searching the net everywhere on how to fix the power issue with the purple dots on the screen when it finally turns on. Thanks again for the post.
post #18855 of 19653 Old 05-31-2009, 05:32 PM

Hey guys, my caps came in the other day and this morning i finally got around to opening up my 4061f and replacing the bad caps. I only had 2 bad caps, but opted to replace 4. 2 1000uf 25v caps were bad which i replaced with 1000uf 35v's. While i was in there i decided to also replace the 2 2200uf 10v's that people have had problems with. I replaced them with 2200uf 16v's. After completion, the set turned right on, no pink screen! Problem solved. Woohooo! A big thanks to the guy who posted this fix, saved me quite a bit of time and money.
post #18856 of 19653 Old 06-08-2009, 08:35 AM

Since this my TV seems to have become obsolete quickly, I'm not sure if I will actually get a response or not, but here goes...

I have a LNT5265F. We have connected a laptop to the TV a few times to view photos and browse the web on rare occasion. But now, for some reason, the TV is not recognizing the laptop. I connect through a VGA cable (it's all I have on the laptop) into the PC input on the TV. When I cycle through the inputs on the TV it cycles to PC so it must be recognizing the cable, but nothing ever appears on the screen. Also, not sure if this matters, but when it says Searching for Signal for a few minutes, and then the blue-ish display light (the one on the front of the TV near the bottom that lights up when the TV is on) will fade out and go off. The TV doesn't shut off, but the onscreen notification goes away and the light goes off. I can still cycle to another input, so the TV is still on.

Is there are setting on the TV or the laptop that I have to initialize or change to get it to work again? My laptop recently experienced a hard drive crash. Ever since then, it's not working. The laptop works fine with other monitors, so it seems to be on the TV end, but it's odd that it coincided with the hard drive failure.

Any thoughts?
post #18857 of 19653 Old 06-09-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcfalls View Post

Since this my TV seems to have become obsolete quickly, I'm not sure if I will actually get a response or not, but here goes...

I have a LNT5265F. We have connected a laptop to the TV a few times to view photos and browse the web on rare occasion. But now, for some reason, the TV is not recognizing the laptop. I connect through a VGA cable (it's all I have on the laptop) into the PC input on the TV. When I cycle through the inputs on the TV it cycles to PC so it must be recognizing the cable, but nothing ever appears on the screen. Also, not sure if this matters, but when it says Searching for Signal for a few minutes, and then the blue-ish display light (the one on the front of the TV near the bottom that lights up when the TV is on) will fade out and go off. The TV doesn't shut off, but the onscreen notification goes away and the light goes off. I can still cycle to another input, so the TV is still on.

Is there are setting on the TV or the laptop that I have to initialize or change to get it to work again? My laptop recently experienced a hard drive crash. Ever since then, it's not working. The laptop works fine with other monitors, so it seems to be on the TV end, but it's odd that it coincided with the hard drive failure.

Any thoughts?

You most likely have to make the change from the laptop. Most laptops have 3 options to change between when connecting to an external source. Not sure what laptop you have but usually you have to hold the "FN" key and hit one of the Function keys at the top of the keyboard. You should see a icon (a small monitor).

This will toggle between the options. One will be to view laptop only (which seems to be the one you are on.) Another will be to view the laptop just on the external source and the last one will be to have the display show on both the laptop and the external monitor.
post #18858 of 19653 Old 06-09-2009, 04:14 PM

Hi all.

I purchased a Samsung 4066f LCD from Best Buy about a year and a half ago. Turned the TV on Friday, and a 2-3mm blue/green vertical line is present on the screen.

I called Samsung customer support, they said it was dead pixels, which I don't believe...luckily it was escalated to a higher department where they agree to a one time out of warranty fix.

Due to the price drop of the TV etc, as well as the potential high cost of of repair for Samsung, I would love some speculation on what my best options are.

Demand them to replace the TV? They also mentioned a possibility of me purchasing another TV after being given some type of credit, which would also give me a warranty, but first they want to send someone out to try and fix.

I would love some advice.
post #18859 of 19653 Old 06-09-2009, 10:12 PM

Also...

I was thinking of upgrading the firmware, but all the links on the first post are broken.

Anyone have it available?
post #18860 of 19653 Old 06-22-2009, 01:39 PM

My parents have a LN-T4065 that is 18-24 months old. Can anyone tell me if their problem sounds like the power supply issue? Here's what she described (I haven't seen for myself)

"The problem started this way: When we would first turn it on, it would automatically turn itself off and on a couple of times and then be okay. It gradually took longer for it to come on. Then a pinkish-purple grid started appearing. Turning it off and back on with the remote would correct the problem.

Next we started getting sometimes a green screen, sometimes a pink screen, all the while turning itself off and on up to eight times before the picture appeared. Eventually, we could no longer turn it off with the remote. It would click itself back on. The only way we could turn it off was to unplug it."

What a great forum! Thanks for your input.
post #18861 of 19653 Old 06-22-2009, 07:40 PM

If my parent's tv does have the power supply problem. I believe I have tracked down the appropriate ip board (BN44-00167A or BN44-00165A). I think i'm going to try replacing their ip board instead of just replacing the capacitors. They live out of state and I'd hate to fix it only to have other capacitors go bad.

Is replacing the board as simple as screwing in a new one and connecting the cables?

I plan on calling Samsung first but I fully expect to be told "oh, that's the first time we've heard of that issue." I'll be sure to let you know whether they take care of a customer or not.
post #18862 of 19653 Old 06-25-2009, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
That sounds about right. Mine was doing the exact same thing.

I watched the guys replace my board (I was under an extended warranty), and it looked fairly simple. A lot of screws, but not a big deal. Just as others have reported... bulging capacitors.
post #18863 of 19653 Old 06-26-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaraspook1 View Post

If my parent's tv does have the power supply problem. I believe I have tracked down the appropriate ip board (BN44-00167A or BN44-00165A). I think i'm going to try replacing their ip board instead of just replacing the capacitors. They live out of state and I'd hate to fix it only to have other capacitors go bad.

Is replacing the board as simple as screwing in a new one and connecting the cables?

I plan on calling Samsung first but I fully expect to be told "oh, that's the first time we've heard of that issue." I'll be sure to let you know whether they take care of a customer or not.

Very easy to replace. Basically just pop off the back cover, take off the metal casing over the board and unplug.
post #18864 of 19653 Old 06-26-2009, 08:53 PM

Directv just started broadcasting 1080p but saids my 4665 TV doesn't support their 1080p signal. I'm pretty sure the signal is 24p so that could be the problem. Can the LN-TXX65F handle 24p?
post #18865 of 19653 Old 06-27-2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaraspook1 View Post

Zaraspook1,
My TV JUST started giving me issues almost 2 years to the date from purchase! I do not have the lines or funky colors but it takes forever (turning on and off/unplugging and replugging) to get the picture to come on. At this point we just leave it on all the time. My question to you is can you share with us where you found the part? Are you replacing the part and the capacitors? I don't have any soldering experience but my neighbor is an electrical engineer so he has graciously offered to help. Hopefully it really isn't as big a deal as it seems! I believe others have found the capacitors at Radio Shack correct? Thanks everyone for the help and a huge THANK YOU to whoever first posted this fix.
post #18866 of 19653 Old 06-28-2009, 07:16 PM

Does anyone have the 1032 firmware for the LN-T4665F??

thanks
post #18867 of 19653 Old 07-01-2009, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just wanted to submit a review on a local calibrator in the Columbus, Ohio area who recently calibrated my Sammy LN-T4065f. The calibrator is actually a poster from this board, Chad (nicholc2), and simply, the results were absolutely breathtaking! First, to understand the level of professionalism and patience that Chad exudes, I feel I must include some background information.

Chad was out to my house on two prior occasions trying to calibrate my tv that, for some inexplicable reason, was not able to produce an accurate red primary. None the less, he did a great job getting the tv to look very good despite this odd hardware shortcoming on the tv. On the suggestion of another LN-TXX65 owner on another forum, I was able to acquire a previous version of this tv’s firmware, and bang, it seemed to make all of his previous settings overly red (he had to overcompensate for the lack of red reproduction prior to this firmware).

So, I got in touch with Chad having a good hunch that my tv might be operating properly now. He happily came back out to take a look. Now, keep in mind, the guy spent about 7 hours on two combined trips to my house previous to this. When he took new measurements of my tv this week we were both astonished at how the red primary was now functioning perfectly on my tv and he could now make the tv look like it should. After ANOTHER 3 hours of work on my tv, I am proud to say that my tv looks absolutely amazing. Colors are absolutely beautiful, and really pop. The picture is crystal clear, and it has tremendous 3 dimensional depth to it.

Honestly, once you have a tv that looks like this, there is really no going back. I think it is absolutely ESSENTIAL that anyone who is willing to throw down several hundred to several thousand dollars on a tv, MUST get their tv calibrated. I can also say that Chad is absolutely 100% the guy that I would pick to have my tv calibrated if I were all of you. He is very professional, incredibly patient, is very happy to answer any and all questions even though I’m sure he gets the same questions all the time. He’s just a great person who loves to calibrate tv’s, and he’s VERY good at it. Seriously, this guy charges about a third of the price that Best Buy charges and Best Buy is mostly atrocious. Honestly, you’ll never get a better deal for how good this guy is.
post #18868 of 19653 Old 07-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1333 Post(s)
Liked: 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPSU View Post

I just wanted to submit a review on a local calibrator in the Columbus, Ohio ... Chad (nicholc2) ...

Thanks for your calibration report. I've included it in the flat panel (Post#2) list that's linked at the bottom of my post.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
post #18869 of 19653 Old 07-06-2009, 02:13 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1014
Are there any estimates on the capacitor failure rate for these TVs? Any specific hardware revisions that are more prone to failure? I've got an LNT-4665F with a 1008 motherboard that has just passed the 2-year mark (and the extra 1-year credit card repair/replacement warranty) and now I am nervous about switching it on. I may sell it off before it starts exhibiting problems (though that is ethically questionable).
post #18870 of 19653 Old 07-06-2009, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Are there any estimates on the capacitor failure rate for these TVs? Any specific hardware revisions that are more prone to failure? I've got an LNT-4665F with a 1008 motherboard that has just passed the 2-year mark (and the extra 1-year credit card repair/replacement warranty) and now I am nervous about switching it on. I may sell it off before it starts exhibiting problems (though that is ethically questionable).

If that's the route you want to go, I don't think it's ethically questionable since it hasn't yet and there is no guarantee that it will start to exhibit problems. Sell it with a clear conscience!

And FWIW, the repair bill wasn't too bad. The total bill for me was $265 to replace the entire power board (which was covered by the cc extended warranty). But again, who wants to pay anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page