Official Sony XBR4/5 Owners Thread(NO PRICE TALK) - Page 30 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #871 of 12030 Old 08-31-2007, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by essentialjpm View Post

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I’ve read the entire locked thread, and I’m on page 12 of this thread, but I’ve run out of time. After work today I am buying an XBR4. What I haven’t decided on is the size, either the 32 or the 40 inch.

They seem to be the same TV except the size of course, and the 32 doesn’t support 1080p, and there is about a $1000 price difference (I will be paying pretty much MSPR at BB).

What should I get? I’ve read that you can’t really tell 1080p unless the size of the TV is well over 40 inches. I’m also weary of clouding since it seems the bigger size TV you get, the better the chance of clouding.

Hooked up to the TV I will have:

Time Warner Digital cable box (I need to get an HD box, but I assume it will be a SA8300, which I was excited about because of HDMI output, but now after all I’ve read I guess I will have to use Components.)

PS3 & PS2

Computer

What would you do? Is it worth the extra money for the 40 inch over the 32 inch?

Also, my viewing distance will be about 4 feet.

Thanks.

I would recommend the 40" over the 32". The leap from 32 to 40 inches on the XBR line is greater than the leap between any other two sizes because it also comes with higher resolution, a different processing engine, and a higher contrast ratio.

It's also nice to have a set that accepts and fully resolves 1080p, even if 40" may not really be large enough to make it pop from further viewing distances.

The last thing to consider would be form factor: The 40" has the floating glass design, making it much bigger in dimensions than the 32", which has a more simplistic and less intrusive design (which I actually like).

Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 12030 Old 08-31-2007, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if the Sony Service plans are a good deal?
post #873 of 12030 Old 08-31-2007, 09:08 AM

Has anyone ever had any problems with Cleveland Plasma? I have read all the good reviews on their ebay store. It all seems to be good stuff.

Why are they the only company around selling the 52" XBR4?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #874 of 12030 Old 08-31-2007, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Essentialjpm, why do you say you will be using components over hdmi? If it was from this thread can you refer me back to the post # (I tried looking but its a pretty big thread)?

Frosty, I was also wondering about the service plan. I didn't get one with my purchase and was thinking about getting the Sony. When they say a 2 year plan, does that mean only 1 additional year to the current warranty of an XBR4 or 2 MORE?
post #875 of 12030 Old 08-31-2007, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydhansen View Post

Has anyone ever had any problems with Cleveland Plasma? I have read all the good reviews on their ebay store. It all seems to be good stuff.

Why are they the only company around selling the 52" XBR4?

Yes, Cleveland Plasma has a high seller rating with fast shipping. In fact, you would see Chris, the owner of Cleveland Plasma, around these threads sometimes. The only minor thing is that you cannot return your tv unless it is damaged during transit. You have to deal with the manufacture if there is something wrong with your new set.

Go 24
post #876 of 12030 Old 08-31-2007, 09:42 AM

Guys, I am in a hurry right now but to make a long story short I just picked up a 46xbr4 because of a... well, pricing error at CC

Ok-- Now to my question.

THE PRESTIGE (BD) in chap. 3 or 4 when the main character exits his carriage and begins walking up the dirt path to tesla's gate, as the camera moves to behind the main character, and as he is walking away from the camera towards the gate, there is this HUGELY LOOKING WEIRDNESS on the back of his brown leather jacket!

I am not super into this TV tech stuff yet but if anyone has a copy of prestige on BD please pop it in and tell me if you see what I, and all the people around me in the store, saw? We tried changing options and things but it was always there. It sort of looked like the back of his brown leather jacket was being churned about by a giant spoon, and everything was mixing and weird looking.

Other than that one random thing, the set looked amazing so I picked one up.

Will move in to new apartment tomorrow and will be able to say more about it.

ANY IDEA what this was??? JUST CURIOUS! Thanks!
post #877 of 12030 Old 08-31-2007, 10:08 AM

Taurus,

Do you know why Cleveland Plasma has so many of these TV's in stock, when the rest of the country doesn't?
post #878 of 12030 Old 08-31-2007, 10:39 AM

Hi,

I am currently a SONY Plasma owner (one of their first generation plasmas). I am looking to upgrade the TV and since I have had no problems with Sony in the past, am thinking of getting the KDL52XBR4 or 5. This would be my first LCD purchase so I am hoping you all can answer some XBR4/5 specific questions as well as some general questions.

Here is an interesting article from the NY Times on HDTVs:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/30/te...369899&ei=5070

So, here are my questions:
1. Does the 120HZ feature exist only on LCDs or also on Plasmas as well?

2. What does the 120HZ feature do and how/when would it benefit me?

3. Is the 120HZ feature required to properly display 1080P formats?

4. On the XBR4/5, what would be the "'response time" (as mentioned in the above article)?

Thanks in advance!
post #879 of 12030 Old 08-31-2007, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:

Taurus,

Do you know why Cleveland Plasma has so many of these TV's in stock, when the rest of the country doesn't?

Because Chris has a team of ninja's that raid stock from stores around the nation.

Actually it's because Chris doesn't have tons of XBR2 and 3 models sitting around he has to move out of the store before he puts the new model on display like a Best Buy. He buys from the same places the stores do so the real question is why are they holding out? I bought a Sharp D92 from him and a Toshiba LX177. He gets you the goods cheap and fast with full factory warranty. It's just some manufactures are easier to deal with then others on problems. Sharp was a dream for me, Toshiba so far a nightmare.

65C8P l 65B6P l P55-C1 l Shockwafe Ultra 9.2 & Elite 7.2 l XB1 X l PS4 Pro l Switch
post #880 of 12030 Old 08-31-2007, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Taurus,

circuitcity.com has it in stock.
post #881 of 12030 Old 08-31-2007, 11:41 AM

Hello All,
Long time lurker here.

I had my sights set on a 52" XBR2, now the XBR4 is arriving, which has totally wrecked my plans....

It seems that supplies are limited, and the price is quite a bit different.

Im not a big gamer, most of my watching will be via a Comcast HD cable box, and a HD Tivo, and Blu Ray movies via a PS3.

So my question is, is the XBR4 worth the extra cash, and the extra wait?
What will I be missing if I do go with the XBR2?

Thanks alot in advance!

All the best,
Sean

post #882 of 12030 Old 08-31-2007, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Taurus,

You could always ask him directly. He's been in this thread several times and is a forum sponsor.

Brandon
post #883 of 12030 Old 08-31-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddddd55555 View Post

Essentialjpm, why do you say you will be using components over hdmi? If it was from this thread can you refer me back to the post # (I tried looking but its a pretty big thread)?

Frosty, I was also wondering about the service plan. I didn't get one with my purchase and was thinking about getting the Sony. When they say a 2 year plan, does that mean only 1 additional year to the current warranty of an XBR4 or 2 MORE?

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that. I did read that the one CC offers is inclusive of the Sony warranty. At CC you pay for three years but actually you are only getting two additional years.
post #884 of 12030 Old 08-31-2007, 01:51 PM

I pre-ordered mine from SonyStyle on 7/28. Wondering if anyone has heard anything as to the availability. The XBR4 date on Sony site has changed several times so I do not think the date for the 52XBR5 is accurate...

Thanks

Winter
post #885 of 12030 Old 08-31-2007, 02:14 PM

Can someone please confirm:
Can XBR4/5 handle 1920x1080 (1:1 pixel map) resolution via PC Input (or HDMI)?
If Yes, is there any ghosting or halo effect occurs around font? I noticed that XBR2 screens suffer this problem with PC connection.
post #886 of 12030 Old 08-31-2007, 03:28 PM

Liked: 11
Does anyone in canada have the xbr4 yet and if so where did you buy it from?
post #887 of 12030 Old 08-31-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidoofus View Post

Guys, I am in a hurry right now but to make a long story short I just picked up a 46xbr4 because of a... well, pricing error at CC

Ok-- Now to my question.

THE PRESTIGE (BD) in chap. 3 or 4 when the main character exits his carriage and begins walking up the dirt path to tesla's gate, as the camera moves to behind the main character, and as he is walking away from the camera towards the gate, there is this HUGELY LOOKING WEIRDNESS on the back of his brown leather jacket!

I am not super into this TV tech stuff yet but if anyone has a copy of prestige on BD please pop it in and tell me if you see what I, and all the people around me in the store, saw? We tried changing options and things but it was always there. It sort of looked like the back of his brown leather jacket was being churned about by a giant spoon, and everything was mixing and weird looking.

Other than that one random thing, the set looked amazing so I picked one up.

Will move in to new apartment tomorrow and will be able to say more about it.

ANY IDEA what this was??? JUST CURIOUS! Thanks!

Just out of Curiousity, do you have motionFlow handling turned on? Try looking at the brown jacket with it turned on and turned off ... see if there is a difference. I'm wanting to say that you might be seeing artifacts from the frame interpolation process of the motionFlow technology.
post #888 of 12030 Old 08-31-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover16 View Post

Does anyone in canada have the xbr4 yet and if so where did you buy it from?

I haven't received my 52XBR4 yet from Visions Electronics, but I popped in to the the local Sony Store and sure enough they had the 46' and 52" on display.
Very nice !!
post #889 of 12030 Old 08-31-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by method404 View Post

Just out of Curiousity, do you have motionFlow handling turned on? Try looking at the brown jacket with it turned on and turned off ... see if there is a difference. I'm wanting to say that you might be seeing artifacts from the frame interpolation process of the motionFlow technology.

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

I remember specifically that we tried the scene over and over with the motion flow on high, standard, and off. The same effect happened each time. Again, this effect looked like the back of his brown leather jacket was turning into a whirlpool, or being encompassed by a swarming ball of bees. There was nothing wrong with the image outside of his jacket; only the image inside the boundaries of his jacket was affected. The CC CSR thought that the effect looked worse (just barely) with the MF on high, but agreed that it was plainly noticable on all settings. I thought it looked pretty similar on all the MF settings. The CSR, the gentleman, and I were all surprised at how easily noticable it was to our eyes. Usually you may have to look hard to spot potential issues but this weird occurance just jumped out at us.

I do not, however, know what setting the cinemotion option was set to, sorry

Do you have a copy of prestige on BD? I was outputting using PS3 at 1080p24.
post #890 of 12030 Old 08-31-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidoofus View Post

Again, this effect looked like the back of his brown leather jacket was turning into a whirlpool, or being encompassed by a swarming ball of bees. There was nothing wrong with the image outside of his jacket; only the image inside the boundaries of his jacket was affected.

This sounds a LOT like the effect I was seeing on Planet Earth BR, Episode 3 (Jungle) about 30mins or so into it (the Elephants) with MotionFlow on. This entire elephant sequence is a great one to test motionFlow on. There are a lot of scenes were you can see artifacts. What you describe is what I was seeing on one scene which had close ups of the Elephants ears flapping around ... the textures on the ears were swirling around and creating a heatwave/whirlpool effect. All articating effects disappeared when I turned off MotionFlow. If you are still seeing this odd effect, I'd try testing it on another LCD, perhaps there are artifacts in the encoding of The Prestige. I don't own that one and have no way of testing it. Perhaps someone else could test it for you if you supply them the timecode of where the effect occurs.
post #891 of 12030 Old 08-31-2007, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmusicservices View Post

Hello All,
Long time lurker here.

I had my sights set on a 52" XBR2, now the XBR4 is arriving, which has totally wrecked my plans....

It seems that supplies are limited, and the price is quite a bit different.

Im not a big gamer, most of my watching will be via a Comcast HD cable box, and a HD Tivo, and Blu Ray movies via a PS3.

So my question is, is the XBR4 worth the extra cash, and the extra wait?
What will I be missing if I do go with the XBR2?

Thanks alot in advance!

All the best,
Sean

The colors and detail in the dark areas are much improved on the XBR4 vs. the XBR2 (10 bit vs. 8 bit). The XBR4 also has HDMI 1.3, 120hz & 24 fps support, I'd say it's worth the extra $$$$.

52XBR4
55HX929
post #892 of 12030 Old 08-31-2007, 05:14 PM

I've been tinkering with DRC (Digital Reality Creation) and have found that the Clarity part is basically is a relatively intelligent sharpening tool. In much the same way that I do complex sharpening techniques in Photoshop, DRC seems to calculate edges and perform different amounts of edge sharpening.

I have found some pretty nice sweet spots on DirecTV HD programming (especially movies). As in photographic sharpening, it's best to be subtle.

Here's a layered 11MB Zipped Photoshop file that you can use to compare DRC Off, Mode 1 and Mode 2 by turning layers on and off. IIRC, DRC was around 25 reality and 50 clarity. I also did some channel calculations to quantify the difference between the modes. The most difference will be white. (The black will indicate 'no difference.' )
http://download.yousendit.com/8D97849105D01ECD

The photo is from Bell Book and Candle movie on HDNet the other night. Taken with Canon 20D with 17-85mm kit lens with focal length of 35mm.

Here's a small section of the photoshop file with different DRC modes side by side.

I've got bunches of other comparisons I'm filing through and will be glad to post further images for analysys if there is any interest.
LL
post #893 of 12030 Old 08-31-2007, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I got my 52" XBR4 this week.
I bought The 300 and the Planet Earth 4 disc set. Blu-Ray being played on a PS3
The Planet Earth discs look phenomenal (for the most part)
However, when I play The 300 is looks as though someone is sprinkling pepper on it the whole time....terrible....anyone else have any experiences like this?

I don't have all my settings tweaked yet as I am still just getting into the set but even default settings would not look this bad...

One more thing I noticed...SD DVD's did not look that great. But when I played a DivX file (ripped from DVD) on my Archos 704 media player it looks 'better' then the actual SD DVD. I was concerned that the DivX files would look like total **** but they actually look pretty damn good. Why would this lower grade video look better?
post #894 of 12030 Old 08-31-2007, 05:20 PM

I just got my new XBR4 52" from BB yesterday. Thanks to all posts on AV forum, it was very helpful. It was a hard choice between it and the Sammy TN 81. Both were excellent sets, but it came down to the anti-glare coating on the Sony. I'm very happy with the XBR4. It really does look 3D, must be the DRC feature or something. As for clouding, I don't see any when looking directly at the TV in a dark room with a blank channel. However, I do see some unevenness when I move to the extreme sides/angles. So no big deal to me. No dead pixels. The built-in speaker sound is much better than I thought. The Xrossbar menu system is cool, like PS3. Overall, no regrets.

Regards,
post #895 of 12030 Old 08-31-2007, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex the Great View Post

I am sorry, but from the pics posted I could not see this green push you talking about. Would you please zoom/crop into the screen area this “push” is mostly noticeable.

Well, do seagulls have green on their wings or bodies....I lived in Seattle for a long time,,,,never saw green in the shadows of a seagulls wings. So I would say yes, there is a problem with the shadows on that Seagull. I would adjust your green drive and see if that takes care of it, or whatever other settings you have that effect green, such as tint. I also see some very, very slight green on that double hump in the background,,,near the water level.

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
post #896 of 12030 Old 08-31-2007, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studdad View Post

Well, do seagulls have green on their wings or bodies....I lived in Seattle for a long time,,,,never saw green in the shadows of a seagulls wings. So I would say yes, there is a problem with the shadows on that Seagull. I would adjust your green drive and see if that takes care of it, or whatever other settings you have that effect green, such as tint. I also see some very, very slight green on that double hump in the background,,,near the water level.

Seagulls in NJ do. Seriously though, like you said can't you just calibrate that?

52XBR4
55HX929
post #897 of 12030 Old 08-31-2007, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EADGBE View Post

Seagulls in NJ do. Seriously though, like you said can't you just calibrate that?

I would think so. With the Toshiba I have, I would say no, but all indications are that this set has no green push problem, so I would just play around with the settings a little. I would not get worried unless you run into green in the shadows/blacks and are unable to get rid of it.

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
post #898 of 12030 Old 08-31-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coma426 View Post

Yeah, I don't know that I believe the Sony site. It said that same 9/30 availability for the 52XBR4 when I placed my order and it shipped out the very next day. If you need the TV within a week why not call around and find someone with one on hand and have them ship it to you tomorrow and then cancel your other order?

Believe it! I stopped into the local SONY Style store last night and he told me that the 52" is delayed until end of September. They don't have any and aren't expecting any until then.
post #899 of 12030 Old 08-31-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsedels View Post

I stopped into the local SONY Style store last night and he told me that the 52" is delayed until end of September. They don't have any and aren't expecting any until then.

That's what the Sony Style local store rep told me after logging onto the same website "Sonystyle.com" and looking at the "Available 09/30/07" in bold red.

These guys are all bozos and have NO inside knowledge. We AVSForum members know more then they do.

Well, now SonyStyle says "In stock. Estimated ship date: 09/02/2007."
You figure it out...

Just call Chris at Cleveland Plasma, like a few of us did. Fast, easy, reliable.

Your welcome, Chris.

John
Tampa, FL

post #900 of 12030 Old 08-31-2007, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6340 Post(s)
Liked: 6340
Quote:

Taurus,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post

Because Chris has a team of ninja's that raid stock from stores around the nation. .

Just one of the lucky ones........... and it is nice !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 52xbr4 52 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page