Official Samsung 71series calibration thread - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #751 of 1365 Old 02-11-2008, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lice View Post

Yeah. So. I just read 2 pages of this thread.

Whats is going on! What happened to the good old days of plugging in the old tube and thats the way it would stay for 11 years.

There has to be a way for the average joe to calibrate this tv on their own and have it look good. Is there any disc that works well?

Help!

Those days are gone. Maybe someday the sets will calibrate themselves, like the audio does now.

There is a free download that alluringreality et al, put out and it will let you do most of what any of the other products can do without measurement instruments. You do need a certain blue filter that you can get from a camera shop, though, even to do the minimal. You can set black, white, color and tint with nothing but the blue filter (only needed for color and tint).

The commercial products also have some audio stuff too, and they aren't all that expensive. They come with the filters you need.

AFAIK, you can't do greyscale (white balance) without colorimeter or other measuring instrument.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 1365 Old 02-11-2008, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the info. I looked at the DVD which was rented and it had some smudges on it. Thanks again.
post #753 of 1365 Old 02-11-2008, 06:37 PM

I was playin with some settings on the 5271 and I no longer have the option oif changing the amp and changing from standard to dynamic...they are both grayed out. What option would be causing this? Also, when I reset to factory settings, those two do NOT allow changes. What did I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #754 of 1365 Old 02-11-2008, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Is there anything I can find online, download, throw it on a USB Disk and then throw it into my PS3 so I can calibrate it?

Could you guys suggest some calibration pictures?
post #755 of 1365 Old 02-11-2008, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
For those who doesn't have access to service menu, the "white" slider lets you dial in to a more precise color tempetature regardless of what preset color temp you're using. So you can set the color temp closer to 6500k even if you are using "Cool 1".

If you switch these sets to "movie mode" you will get access to cuts and drives for RGB in the user menu.

craigr

Precision Video Calibration Craig Rounds
JETI Specbos 1211 Spectroradiometer
Klein K10-A Laboratory Grade Colorimeter
Murideo Fresco Six-G & Six-A HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator / Analyzer
LightSpace XPS Pro & ChromaPure Pro Color Calibration Software
www.CIR-Engineering.com - [email protected]
post #756 of 1365 Old 02-11-2008, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lice View Post

Yeah. So. I just read 2 pages of this thread.

Whats is going on! What happened to the good old days of plugging in the old tube and thats the way it would stay for 11 years.

There has to be a way for the average joe to calibrate this tv on their own and have it look good. Is there any disc that works well?

Help!

Sets are better now out of the box than they ever were in the past. It's just that now we have very exact industry standards that can be followed to achieve an even better picture. Out of the box the TV is good, it just can be a lot better. Calibration if for people who want the very most out of there display.

Your new TV is better than your old one, we haven't gone backwards.

craigr

post #757 of 1365 Old 02-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I noticed in your CIE chart that green is off somehat less so than mine was but there isn't much difference between 'before' and 'after'.

Well, there is one for you I haven't been able to move green yet on the 71's so that's not full CMS at this point.

craigr

post #758 of 1365 Old 02-11-2008, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKE4742 View Post

I ordered the AVIA II: GUIDE TO HOME THEATER disc. Has anyone else used this with the 71? Is this a good calibration source? Hopefully, this'll put my calibration worries to rest. When I used the Halo 3 calibration disc on my 65, it kinda surprised me how dark my picture was, so, I can't wait to play with this one and see how off I am. I think I'm a pretty good tweaker, though. Does this disc give calibrations for black adjust and dynamic contrast and everything else?

I am waiting for the BD version of Avia. Supposed to be out in.....crap, I forgot, lol, I think March or April.

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
post #759 of 1365 Old 02-11-2008, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudbury78 View Post

I was playin with some settings on the 5271 and I no longer have the option oif changing the amp and changing from standard to dynamic...they are both grayed out. What option would be causing this? Also, when I reset to factory settings, those two do NOT allow changes. What did I do?

Are you in game mode?

post #760 of 1365 Old 02-11-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studdad View Post

Are you in game mode?

Yes. I cant seem to get out of that mode?
post #761 of 1365 Old 02-11-2008, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Well that is the cause of your problems. Go into the menu and toggle down to setup. Turn Game Mode off. (I think it is setup. I don't use it, so I have forgotten where it is for sure).

post #762 of 1365 Old 02-11-2008, 09:52 PM

Can anyone elaborate on what PC mode is? What does it do when you are hooked up through HDMI for instance?
post #763 of 1365 Old 02-11-2008, 10:11 PM

any good settings for dynamic?....I like to watch sports on dynamic but it seems a bit much at times but it does have that wow factor
post #764 of 1365 Old 02-11-2008, 10:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:

This is why they make user manuals.
post #765 of 1365 Old 02-12-2008, 12:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 72
they didn't look too bad to me, but whne i measured with spyder (of course some say syrder2 is not the most accurate for LCD, that said, i did get it to make my other LCD look rather similar to my old diamondscan CRT) and it seemed kinda blue on the brighter end and more like over 7000K at about 80%white.

I also noted that you set BL at 5. I actually prefer 2-3, 4 at most, since it tends to wash out the deepest blacks and at the higher levels it seems you need to dip contrast down a bit and I read that if contrast is well into 90';s you can get nearly 1,500:1 out of the set but if it is in 80's to 90 then supposedly it can only get to about 1,000:1. That said, i'm not really sure what contrast should be set at. I kind of just picked.

anyway i filled around with measuring various grays and adjusting white balance menu and have come up with the following. is it perfect? No. But it is at least within some level of reason about as good as i think you could get without doing service menu, although certainly still not ideal even just for user menu controls, but a wide range of images do look quite simialr to how they do on some other calibrated monitors. Even comparing side by side to a CRT, especially in the 20-80% luminance range, i think it is not too bad. The very deepest shades I think probably lack blue, but not sure how to get them bluer without messing up the rest.

HDMI port NOT in PC mode
contrast 97 (perhaps too high, but these were based off of this setting. i don't know what contrast setting gives the best gamma curves on this. tricky to figure out with what i have)
brightness 41
sharpness 0
color 43 (make it a little lower if you want zero hints of any oversaturation ever, make it a bit higher if you want heavily saturated image)
tint 50
backlight 3
warm2 (closest to 6500K, red and blue are similar, green is too much. warm1 is not too bad either but here red is much lower than green and blue at 80% white)
black level off
dynamic contrast off or low depending upon user preference (if on i might try gamme at -1)
gamma 0 or -1
auto color space
white balance:
my colors leave all at 15, only white seems to do too much, well pink did change color of fur on one of my pictures but haven't seen these do anything otherwise and white does weird stuff

still havening issues with PC mode as green seems to hyper saturate no matter how you set stuff and red seems to never quite max saturate no matter what you do and yellow stays a bit limish but i do have settings that do get gray scale pretty well, it does look a tad muted overall compared to non-PC mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

I tried my first cal using the DTP-94 probe, ColorHCFR, Tom Huffman's "how to", and alluringreality's et all disc in my PS3. Special thank-you to all.

Gotta lot to learn of course and with "low end" equipment there is only so much you can do. The DTP-94 is supposed to be pretty accurate, tho'.

The PQ is the best I have seen with my 4671, 2002->2004.

I posted on the ColorHCFR thread to maximize feedback/suggenstions/criticisms/LEARNING.

Thanks to the awesome Service Manual, and especially if some of the more knowledgeable have info about Samsung's "usual" controls and their meaning, I might, I repeat, MIGHT, have the courage to go in and up the luminance of Green and Blue and adjust hue/saturation. Assuming these adjustments are even IN the svc settings area................

post #766 of 1365 Old 02-12-2008, 12:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEarDrum View Post

For those who doesn't have access to service menu, the "white" slider lets you dial in to a more precise color tempetature regardless of what preset color temp you're using. So you can set the color temp closer to 6500k even if you are using "Cool 1".

interesting, maybe i can use that to make PC mode more like non-PC mode....
post #767 of 1365 Old 02-12-2008, 12:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danman2424 View Post

Can anyone elaborate on what PC mode is? What does it do when you are hooked up through HDMI for instance?

i'm not sure (manual says PC mode.... puts it into PC mode. yeah that was helpful) but i know it:

does not allow you to alter or use AMP and some other stuff

alters the color balance of the TV set (not in the best way IMO, but maybe i'm wrong)

gets rid of hideous mini-blinds, pixelizations, delayed render defects that at the very least my set has when this mode is not on, perhaps all 2004.0 FW sets have, maybe even all series 2000 sets, perhaps even all 5271's have.
really annoying i get so many artifacts unless i use PC mode.

only works if fed a 1920x1080p signal

i haven't test it yet, but some claim it only works on HDM1

if you hook a PC up to it and move some windows around you can see how PC mode acts normally and non-PC has artifacts they also show up in movie viewback. definitely affects 1080p, not sure if the artifacts occur in other modes, like 1080i or not.
post #768 of 1365 Old 02-12-2008, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum5000 View Post

i'm not sure (manual says PC mode.... puts it into PC mode. yeah that was helpful) but i know it:

alters the color balance of the TV set (not in the best way IMO, but maybe i'm wrong)

gets rid of hideous mini-blinds, pixelizations, delayed render defects that at the very least my set has when this mode is not on, perhaps all 2004.0 FW sets have, maybe even all series 2000 sets, perhaps even all 5271's have.

if you hook a PC up to it and move some windows around you can see how PC mode acts normally and non-PC has artifacts they also show up in movie viewback. definitely affects 1080p, not sure if the artifacts occur in other modes, like 1080i or not.

I see. So generally it gives a sharper picture? not quite as grainy or aliased? Similar to what you get on a PC monitor I'm guessing?
post #769 of 1365 Old 02-12-2008, 07:35 AM

Studdad...Thank for the input about game mode..that solved the problem. Too the jerk who told me that was what manuals were for...it doesnt help me...I appreciate the wise remark.

I was thinking...how come people say the calibrated settings of our tv's are dependant on our preference, etc. Can't we agree that a set of numbers would primarily provide the best color? Dont we all typically enjoy the same balance of picture? I dont know.
post #770 of 1365 Old 02-12-2008, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

Studdad...Thank for the input about game mode..that solved the problem. Too the jerk who told me that was what manuals were for...it doesnt help me...I appreciate the wise remark.

I was thinking...how come people say the calibrated settings of our tv's are dependant on our preference, etc. Can't we agree that a set of numbers would primarily provide the best color? Dont we all typically enjoy the same balance of picture? I dont know.

You should start with a calibration that someone posted...and eyeball it from there to your liking.

noones is perfect and every set will be different.

Or, you can purchase time with a professional calibrator
post #771 of 1365 Old 02-12-2008, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studdad View Post

Are you in game mode?

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

This is why they make user manuals.

Better still is the FAQ over in the owners thread

here ya go:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post12429454
post #772 of 1365 Old 02-12-2008, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

IMO, you should make sure this is not a source issue and if it isn't do whatever it takes to return the TV, exchange the TV, or get a tech out to fix the TV.

These artifacts are NOT normal and NOT common. Game mode may make it watchable while you work on the real fix, but don't settle for that for the long haul. My fervent opinion!
post #773 of 1365 Old 02-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 152
So we start watching a new movie DVD, The Aviator
some of you know where this is going.....

Well I think the TV is on the fritz, or at least the "Green". Anything green is blue, all other colors look fine.
Is it the cable? Is it the TV? Is it the DVD player?
Is it the Disc?
We stop the movie, start it again.
We turn to a cable channel, there's green again.
Back to the disc, play with the calibrations...STOP!
about the time I give up, (scene 13 to be exact!) everything looks fine, well almost fine, I have to get out the calibration charts and put the settings back in.
Yep, turns out they MADE it that way to look like original color movies.
Geez! Be careful what you use if you don't have a test pattern to calibrate.

Which brings up my question, what is a good DVD movie to use to check colors?

By the way, despite all that, this movie looks awesome on this set.
You are right there with them! Ava, oh Ava.......

Music, more music.
post #774 of 1365 Old 02-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

4671 2003.2 fw with no artifacts
post #775 of 1365 Old 02-12-2008, 01:18 PM

hello all just traded my xbr4 for the 71 today, can somebody give me a link to the most popular, widely used calibartion settings from this forum, thanks guys!!
post #776 of 1365 Old 02-12-2008, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeab2018 View Post

hello all just traded my xbr4 for the 71 today, can somebody give me a link to the most popular, widely used calibartion settings from this forum, thanks guys!!

I suggest reading the 1st post in this thread friend...there are a few suggestions and post numbers of the popular ones
post #777 of 1365 Old 02-12-2008, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danman2424 View Post

I see. So generally it gives a sharper picture? not quite as grainy or aliased? Similar to what you get on a PC monitor I'm guessing?

well, not so much that as something with either my set, or FW2004.0 sets (or maybe even all sets) causing them to make some weird artifacts when faced with animation.

A perfectly static image on both modes (once settled into place, which usually takes about 1/4 second for 60hz non-PC mode or up to 20 seconds for 24hz non-PC mode) have the same sharpness (well sometimes i still see a tiny bit of picel flicker on some verk dark and scatter pixels but not easy to notice unless inches from screen).

But if i move a window around, you can see that PC mode the stuff redraws back instantly and with no artifacts while on non-PC mode you can see it first renders either a pixelated version or every other scan line and then an instant later puts back the exact image (and on 24Hz mode sometimes pixels and even 1" long line flash on and off for sometimes as much as 20 seconds before settling into the final image).

I confirmed that this can affect movie sharpness. I popped in a blu-ray and edges of objects in motion sometimes broken into like an almost interlaced overy other line rendered (mini-blinds?) sort of effect almost like a not 100% perfect attempt at motion adaptive de-interlacing (weird since it was fed a 1080p non-interlaced movie).

And sometimes even within an object, say someone's face, as they look down or blink, etc. you can see sometimes it pixelates a little or only draws what looks sort of like a single 1080i field in that area before getting to the other field and this can make that part of the object with motion look a little less sharp.

i still don't know if i just have some bad memory chip or something that gets used in non-PC mode or if all FW2004.0 sets do this or if all sets do this.

something very weird is going on for sure. and it's not good.

but if i bring up a photo on 60hz non-pc mode within an instant it looks every bit the same as in PC mode (only with better color balance than pc mode) and smae can be said in 24hz if i wait anywhere from an instant to 20 seconds.
post #778 of 1365 Old 02-12-2008, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandrin View Post

4671 2003.2 fw with no artifacts

hmm. I better give a call about a return or having a tech sent then.

Wish i knew if it was all 2004.0 FW or just my set though since in other ways (lack of clouding, lack of pillars, great uniformity of backlighting, no dead pixels, etc. it is a very nicely performing set. I don't want to swap it out for another 2004.0 that might have the exact same artifact issues plus be worse in some other way if some upcoming FW will fix it all on my current set.)

seems like 1000 series and below 2004.0 FW 2000 series don't seem to have this.

i thought i saw someone else with 2004.0 mention something that sounded perhaps somewhat similar though.

some stuff Geronimo.USC mentioned sounded a bit like my set, perhaps, and the tech actually said his set was not fixable and they are sending him an 81 series (claim samsung is out of production for 71 until march or something).

thanks.
post #779 of 1365 Old 02-12-2008, 02:17 PM

i just need post numbers on the most popular settings, mine has firmware 2004, and i just need some links to popular calibration settings, post #1 really didnt help me
post #780 of 1365 Old 02-12-2008, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeab2018 View Post

i just need post numbers on the most popular settings, mine has firmware 2004, and i just need some links to popular calibration settings, post #1 really didnt help me

You can try mine in #766 for dark room viewing.
The colors generally are pretty good with it since photos look reasonably like they do on a look-up table calibrated monitor and most gray patches from like 15%-85% luminance are within 0.5Dab (according to spyder2) and many within 0.25. Some people are not used to how calibrated colors on TV look though and reject them at first.
Anyway, that's my best attempt for regualr HDMI (non-PC) mode on 2004.

They should be at least generally in the same ballpark as accurate on your set too unless one of us has one unusually far the typical sets specs. Not they are perfect, but that is hard to do without service menu and more pro equipment and calibration knowledge. Whether you like something fairly natural or something more wild, up to you, but these are at within some degree of being reasonably close to natural.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page