Official Samsung 71series calibration thread - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #781 of 1365 Old 02-12-2008, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
has anyone done any experimenting with the edge enhancement setting? I know it's generally considered best to leave all of these artificial enhancement features off, however....

the other night i was watching "cars" on bluray, and while fiddling with the settings i began to notice a significant difference in the sharpness and clarity of the picture between my normal calibration in "movie" mode and the default "Dynamic" settings. Aside from the brightness and the green push, i noticed there was a good deal more fine detail when set to dynamic, to the point where the other modes looked slightly blurry when switched back-to-back. I started messing with the individual settings in movie mode to try to determine which option was causing the difference, and it turned out to be the "edge enhancement" feature. So despite conventional wisdom i've had it turned on ever since. Just wondering if anyone else has given it a shot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 1365 Old 02-12-2008, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
just need post numbers on the most popular settings, mine has firmware 2004, and i just need some links to popular calibration settings, post #1 really didnt help me
post #783 of 1365 Old 02-12-2008, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris3G View Post

has anyone done any experimenting with the edge enhancement setting? I know it's generally considered best to leave all of these artificial enhancement features off, however....

the other night i was watching "cars" on bluray, and while fiddling with the settings i began to notice a significant difference in the sharpness and clarity of the picture between my normal calibration in "movie" mode and the default "Dynamic" settings. Aside from the brightness and the green push, i noticed there was a good deal more fine detail when set to dynamic, to the point where the other modes looked slightly blurry when switched back-to-back. I started messing with the individual settings in movie mode to try to determine which option was causing the difference, and it turned out to be the "edge enhancement" feature. So despite conventional wisdom i've had it turned on ever since. Just wondering if anyone else has given it a shot?

+1. Mine is set to ON all the time @ Standard mode.

When I was comparing the 71 against XBR4, it seems that on some store, the XBR4 was a hair tad sharper than the 71 until I found out the the Edge Enhancement was set to off on those TVs. Once I turned it on, viola! It was Samsung all the way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 1365 Old 02-12-2008, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

From what I've mostly seen, people do leave edge enhancement on with non-HD sources, but turn it off for HD Sources.
All the picture enhancement settings usually do there job, but at the same time they cause a lot of artifacts in the images. When you combine turning them on, on top of using AMP that isn't very fine tuned, it brings about a lot of artifacts. If you have it on and don't see any side affects, then by all means you should have it on.
Aside from edge enhancement, Digital NR is generally known to do a good job at reducing artifacts when set to Auto as well. So maybe Samsung just did a good job on making those picture enhancement settings work on the 71 series.
post #785 of 1365 Old 02-12-2008, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Well, the big question is,,,,do you like it better with HD non-animated material? Does it cause any additional artifacts at all?

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
post #786 of 1365 Old 02-12-2008, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEarDrum View Post

+1. Mine is set to ON all the time @ Standard mode.

When I was comparing the 71 against XBR4, it seems that on some store, the XBR4 was a hair tad sharper than the 71 until I found out the the Edge Enhancement was set to off on those TVs. Once I turned it on, viola! It was Samsung all the way.

Crap, now I have to try it when I get home. I just automatically turn that stuff off, as it usually causes more problems than it is worth. No additional artifacts that you can detect?

post #787 of 1365 Old 02-12-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studdad View Post

Well, the big question is,,,,do you like it better with HD non-animated material? Does it cause any additional artifacts at all?

i also tried it with POTC Dead Man's Chest Blu-ray and had similar results. It's not as obvious as with the pixar movies but again, it seems to make the picture cleaner and sharper with no negatives that i can see.

I was actually thinking of exactly what GoldenEarDrum said...if you recall that thread that had the comparison shots of the xbr4 and the 71 series, and in each shot the xbr4 was just a bit cleaner and sharper? it's almost like EE "on" is the way the picture should be, and when it's off it just seems ever so slightly blurred. But i could be missing something...give it a shot and post back with what you think.
post #788 of 1365 Old 02-12-2008, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

i also tried it with POTC Dead Man's Chest Blu-ray and had similar results. It's not as obvious as with the pixar movies but again, it seems to make the picture cleaner and sharper with no negatives that i can see.

I was actually thinking of exactly what GoldenEarDrum said...if you recall that thread that had the comparison shots of the xbr4 and the 71 series, and in each shot the xbr4 was just a bit cleaner and sharper? it's almost like EE "on" is the way the picture should be, and when it's off it just seems ever so slightly blurred. But i could be missing something...give it a shot and post back with what you think.

definately will.

post #789 of 1365 Old 02-12-2008, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Crap, now I have to try it when I get home. I just automatically turn that stuff off, as it usually causes more problems than it is worth. No additional artifacts that you can detect?

No artifacts introduced. I spent quite some time before experimenting with it and checked if it would introduce or make worse the folowing but it didn't:

Halo
Mosquito
Grain
Edge Ghosting
Speckels

It does sharpen the edges pretty well. Doesn't seem to have any negative effect on AMP either. Probably the only negative thing about it is that it makes moire a bit more pronounced if and ever it (rarely) appears expecially on a tightly knit screen patterns. But of course that is expected of any sharpening feature.

post #790 of 1365 Old 02-12-2008, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just a reminder. Not in reply to any of the recent posts above.

Not the owners thread

Not the place to discuss buying, selling, trading, or other TV brands

Not the thread for talking about problems

Please.
post #791 of 1365 Old 02-12-2008, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

Just a reminder. Not in reply to any of the recent posts above.

Not the owners thread

Not the place to discuss buying, selling, trading, or other TV brands

Not the thread for talking about problems

Please.

+1

LN-T4671F - FW: 2003.2
DV-980H - FW: 0B-0903
6620NP - FW: 2.10
N081URAY-Y37 - FW: 0.0
post #792 of 1365 Old 02-12-2008, 10:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Has anyone messed around with the xvYCC? The PS3 supports this doesnt it?
post #793 of 1365 Old 02-12-2008, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal83 View Post

as far as i know there is no content making use of the xvYCC colorspace right now. If and when there is, the ps3 will probably be able to output it, but for now there's nothing so turning it to on on the 71 will just give you messed up coloring.
post #794 of 1365 Old 02-12-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:

It really depends on how much you like your picture. If you love it, then may not be worth the bother, but if you want to get the best picture possible according to industry standards, then yes, it would be worth it. The vast majority of people who get it done like the calibrated picture better than their old picture, at least from what I have read in the various forums. In fact, I cannot remember someone saying they did not like it better. Ultimately, the choice is yours. Are you happy with your current picture, or do you want the best your tv can produce? From my understanding, Calibration costs vary depending on where you live, and how experienced/well known the calibrator is. I have seen quotes of $250 up to $500.

Edit: btw, those costs are for one input. You can have various sources calibrated, i.e. calibrated for your cable/satellite, or PS3, HD DVD, etc. Usually you get a price break for additional inputs. You can also have your sound calibrated as well in many instances.

I think it is worth calibrating your TV if you want the best picture possible. I am the owner of the two Samsungs that Craig calibrated last week. I can't even explain how beautiful and amazing it is to watch HD and BluRay movies on this TV. Before we had it calibrated, we fiddled around with the controls and the picture seemed to be decent, but not quite the picture we were looking for. Once we had Craig calibrate it, I couldn't believe the clarity of the picture even my decent DVD player played movies like the BluRay did. I spent a great deal of money on both TVs and I definitely wanted the best picture out of it. So why not have it calibrated...it's worth the investment.

P.S. Craig watching the Grammys was phenomenal!
post #795 of 1365 Old 02-12-2008, 11:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum5000 View Post

HDMI port NOT in PC mode
contrast 97 (perhaps too high, but these were based off of this setting. i don't know what contrast setting gives the best gamma curves on this. tricky to figure out with what i have)
brightness 41
sharpness 0
color 43 (make it a little lower if you want zero hints of any oversaturation ever, make it a bit higher if you want heavily saturated image)
tint 50
backlight 3
warm2 (closest to 6500K, red and blue are similar, green is too much. warm1 is not too bad either but here red is much lower than green and blue at 80% white)
black level off
dynamic contrast off or low depending upon user preference (if on i might try gamme at -1)
gamma 0 or -1
auto color space
white balance:
my colors leave all at 15, only white seems to do too much, well pink did change color of fur on one of my pictures but haven't seen these do anything otherwise and white does weird stuff

still havening issues with PC mode as green seems to hyper saturate no matter how you set stuff and red seems to never quite max saturate no matter what you do and yellow stays a bit limish but i do have settings that do get gray scale pretty well, it does look a tad muted overall compared to non-PC mode.

These settings look great on my 2002 (updated to 2004) set. I still flip between this and dynamic though, something about dynamic makes it look really good sometimes, and very harsh otherwise.
post #796 of 1365 Old 02-13-2008, 09:54 AM

Anyone who has a PS3 w/ internet connection MUST download the full 1080 WALL-E trailer 2 and watch it with AMP on High!!! It is flawless and just jaw dropping!!! No Stutter, no TBE, no vapors ghosting or anything. I think these sets were made for watching animation. Give it a go and I think everyone will remember why we all bought these sets.

-B
post #797 of 1365 Old 02-13-2008, 01:08 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post13064069

Xbox Live GT: xxx COKE UP xxx
post #798 of 1365 Old 02-13-2008, 01:13 PM

you're confusing xvYCC with YPbCb, they're not the same.
post #799 of 1365 Old 02-13-2008, 05:00 PM

Edge Enhancement is DEFINITELY a positive experience for me. I know a lot of people always tend to steer clear of these features but I truly think it is an ENHANCEMENT. Samsung got it right. The only thing this does on Sony sets is thicken the black lines. This messes with shadowing at times and lessens detail. On Samsung sets, it makes the lines slightly more crisp. Notice the "slightly." This is a good thing. I also love Game Mode when playing video games. That is just me though. I do appreciate everyones input on this thread. Thanks.

P.S. I love this television.
post #800 of 1365 Old 02-13-2008, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I thought I had deleted the pre-calibration report that I did for the LN-T6471F... but I just found it in my recycle bin. The only chart it has that I hadn't saved is the pre-calibration gamma. The pre-cali gamma was really poor and one of the worst qualities of this set out of box. I didn't get to include it into my original post, so here is the plot now. I'll edit it into my original post as well when I get time.

craigr

Precision Video Calibration Craig Rounds
JETI Specbos 1211 Spectroradiometer
Klein K10-A Laboratory Grade Colorimeter
Murideo Fresco Six-G & Six-A HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator / Analyzer
LightSpace XPS Pro & ChromaPure Pro Color Calibration Software
www.CIR-Engineering.com - [email protected]
post #801 of 1365 Old 02-14-2008, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsung Lover View Post

I think it is worth calibrating your TV if you want the best picture possible. I am the owner of the two Samsungs that Craig calibrated last week. I can't even explain how beautiful and amazing it is to watch HD and BluRay movies on this TV. Before we had it calibrated, we fiddled around with the controls and the picture seemed to be decent, but not quite the picture we were looking for. Once we had Craig calibrate it, I couldn't believe the clarity of the picture even my decent DVD player played movies like the BluRay did. I spent a great deal of money on both TVs and I definitely wanted the best picture out of it. So why not have it calibrated...it's worth the investment.

P.S. Craig watching the Grammys was phenomenal!

WOW, thanks for this, I really appreciate the kind words

craigr

Precision Video Calibration Craig Rounds
JETI Specbos 1211 Spectroradiometer
Klein K10-A Laboratory Grade Colorimeter
Murideo Fresco Six-G & Six-A HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator / Analyzer
LightSpace XPS Pro & ChromaPure Pro Color Calibration Software
www.CIR-Engineering.com - [email protected]
post #802 of 1365 Old 02-14-2008, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIR-Engineering View Post

I thought I had deleted the pre-calibration report that I did for the LN-T6471F... but I just found it in my recycle bin. The only chart it has that I hadn't saved is the pre-calibration gamma. The pre-cali gamma was really poor and one of the worst qualities of this set out of box. I didn't get to include it into my original post, so here is the plot now. I'll edit it into my original post as well when I get time.

craigr

Do you know what combo of black level, contrast and gamma would bring the gamme curves best into line (i.e. without programming stuff in the service menus)? At least in general, yes sets can vary a little bit set to set, but usually only within reason. Of course since you did it within the SM, you might not know. from your chart i would guess gamma -1, black level normal or low and who knows about contrast (although i hear the higher you set it the more max contrast you can pull from this, nearly 1500:1 if it is really high and bkaclight is low and 1000:1 or so if contrast is set somewhat lower).
post #803 of 1365 Old 02-14-2008, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Well, I hate to add to the myriad of settings on this thread, but I felt like I should share the settings that I have come to love. Since all of these look so similar, here is what I like. I have the 4071 with the 2004 firmware. I like the picture to be bright since I watch it in a bright room. If you are in a dark room or watch at night, you may want to turn the backlight down a notch or two. I like my blacks to be dark and I like the colors to be sharp. All of these settings are optimized for viewing on HD channels. I actually use a similar setting with a few color tweaks for my upconvert DVD player on an HDMI input. I find that when changing the settings, it is helpful to change the setting and then walk away for a while. Then when I come back, I notice more if I haven't been staring at it and analyzing it for the last 3 hours.
I think these settings give me the best picture that I have seen yet. I hope you like it too.
Let me know what you think!

PICTURE
Mode: Standard
Contrast: 87
Brightness: 54
Sharpness: 45
Color: 40
Tint: G50/R50
Backlight: 7
Color Tone: Normal
Digital NR: Auto
Active Color: Greyed Out
DNIe: ON

DETAILED SETTINGS
Black Adjust: Medium
Dynamic Contrast: Low
Gamma: -1
Color Space: Auto
xvYCC: Greyed Out
Edge Enhancement On
AMP: Low

WHITE BALANCE
R-Offset: 16
G-Offset: 12
B-Offset: 13
R-Gain: 13
G-Gain: 12
B-Gain: 14

My Color Control
Pink: 12
Green: 14
Blue: 15
White: 16

SETUP
Game Mode: Greyed Out
Film Mode: On
Energy Saving: Off
post #804 of 1365 Old 02-14-2008, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

you're confusing xvYCC with YPbCb, they're not the same.

Actually no i'm not. But thank you
post #805 of 1365 Old 02-14-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:

Actually no i'm not. But thank you

i'm not sure why would you think that i was talking to you, the guy that i quoted was confusing them, not you In fact i even answered your question a few posts prior to that, saying that there is currently no source material that uses xvYCC and when there is, you'll be able to take advantage of it.
post #806 of 1365 Old 02-14-2008, 10:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

i'm not sure why would you think that i was talking to you, the guy that i quoted was confusing them, not you In fact i even answered your question a few posts prior to that, saying that there is currently no source material that uses xvYCC and when there is, you'll be able to take advantage of it.

Oh whoops, sorry about that man, its late, long week at work, lots of stress. forgive me. I completely forgot that you answered that question for me i dont know what i was thinking. But yeah it will definetly be nice when there is source material that uses it.
Again i appologize.
post #807 of 1365 Old 02-14-2008, 11:04 PM

Quote:

Oh whoops, sorry about that man, its late, long week at work, lots of stress. forgive me. I completely forgot that you answered that question for me i dont know what i was thinking. But yeah it will definetly be nice when there is source material that uses it.
Again i appologize.

no problem man
post #808 of 1365 Old 02-15-2008, 10:43 AM

Well hello to all, this is my first post on these boards, and its amazing to see all the people who post on this forum. Awesome! hopefully i can learn a bit or two about my brand new HDTV. I just purchased a

Samsung LN-T5271F at Best buy.

I havent gone through all the pages on this board cuz, well there are too many! Anyways, i just want to know if any one has some great settings for it. I wasnt happy with the factory settings at all, as i am sure most arent. Please help me!

I also read somewhere that there are disks that do it for you... AVIA or something?? not sure about these... any insight? Can these be rented at like Blockbuster or something? If you prefer not to post then please email me of private message me with your settings and and helpful advice. THANKS A LOT!!

[email protected]
post #809 of 1365 Old 02-15-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wugravekil View Post

Well hello to all, this is my first post on these boards, and its amazing to see all the people who post on this forum. Awesome! hopefully i can learn a bit or two about my brand new HDTV. I just purchased a

I havent gone through all the pages on this board cuz, well there are too many! Anyways, i just want to know if any one has some great settings for it. I wasnt happy with the factory settings at all, as i am sure most arent. Please help me!

I also read somewhere that there are disks that do it for you... AVIA or something?? not sure about these... any insight? Can these be rented at like Blockbuster or something? If you prefer not to post then please email me of private message me with your settings and and helpful advice. THANKS A LOT!!

[email protected]

Welcome, and let me be the first to apologize. Because you will read through this thread-and see all of these great calibrations and try a few out every night...then you will get addicted to checking what people wrote down as their calibrations every day. Your family will get upset with you coming home and changing things up every night. You will utter the phrase 'I have just a few more settings to try' more than 20 times....soon your family will leave you, your dog will disown you...it will just be you, your sammy, and your settings...but that's ok cuz this is one helluva tv! Worth it all!
post #810 of 1365 Old 02-15-2008, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by wugravekil View Post

[email protected]

Well, I just posted my settings. I have tried many of the settings in this forum and I have been tweaking them for weeks. Check out what I have come up with. I think it is great! Here is the link:
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post13115015

Enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page