Official Samsung 71series calibration thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1365 Old 02-15-2008, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HAHAHAHAHA!!! you are probably right!!! CLASSIC!!

THanks Johnny!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1365 Old 02-15-2008, 12:53 PM

See....now I'm going to have to try out GPZBC's
Here's the rub...you're gonna start trying out settings that are from folks who have different model #'s 71's and different firmwares also....and you will find yourself getting upset saying 'this looked good to him?!?-he must be smokin crack'....
I've got a 4671 with fw 1013...and I trying GPZBC's and he has a 4071 with fw 2004.
I'm just sick.
post #813 of 1365 Old 02-15-2008, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I agree Johnny Vegas. I have spent more time calibrating my tv than I have spent watching it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #814 of 1365 Old 02-15-2008, 02:15 PM

what is firmware anyway? are they updates?

do i need them? how do i get them and how do i get them to update my tv?
post #815 of 1365 Old 02-15-2008, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by wugravekil View Post

what is firmware anyway? are they updates?

do i need them? how do i get them and how do i get them to update my tv?

Check this link out. There is a whole forum for firmware updates and anything else you may be interested in.
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post12429454
post #816 of 1365 Old 02-17-2008, 01:04 PM

can someone tell me besides turning down the backlight, what other settings minimize the minor flashlights in the corners for watching tv in the dark, and i was also wondering if every lcd has some kind of backlight bleeding because of the way they are made..thanks
post #817 of 1365 Old 02-18-2008, 03:50 PM

Thanks for your help all. Much appreciated.

Any other suggestions?

thanks

[email protected]
post #818 of 1365 Old 02-20-2008, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

wow, things got really quiet. Everyone must be "calibrated in",,,,,,not.

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
post #819 of 1365 Old 02-20-2008, 07:43 PM

The more I read this thread, the less I feel I know about the TV! I probably change my settings everyday :P Pretty tempted to get it professionaly calibrated, but don't know if I want to part with the moneh...
post #820 of 1365 Old 02-21-2008, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by studdad View Post

wow, things got really quiet. Everyone must be "calibrated in",,,,,,not.

Well, maybe they are all calibrated in. All I know is that I posted a link to a calibration I did with a DTP-94 colorimeter, alluringreality's HD (BR) DVD, and ColorHCFA. I posted the graphs, and the results were pretty darn good, IMO.

I also posted the settings I used to get that calibration, but nobody responded. Not a peep.

I have done a lot more with calibrating this TV, including many different PS3 and TV colorspace settings, and my current best calibration is even better than the one I posted. I also tested most, if not all of, the variations in setup both on the PS3 and the 71. I even found the best calibration for Dynamic Mode.

But since nobody was interested, I figure why bother to go to all that trouble to show the results and give out the settings. I think for the most part when peeps post their settings nobody gives them a look. It appears to be true even when the settings are based on an actual colorimeter calibration. Sure the one I did was not with a $20,000 spectroradiometer, but you can be sure that if it was, I, like the guys that make their living doing calibrations, wouldn't be giving out the settings for free either.

Currently, btw, I am waiting for a Samsung tech to show up and enable the "My Color Controls". The reason I need these to work is that in my calibrations the TV does not have enough brightness with the primary colors of blue and green, and these controls adjust just that (... if only they worked!) Oh, and the pro that posted his calibration results (not settings ... but he made all his adjustments in service menu anyway) also noted that these controls have no effect. I believe the CNET review said the same thing.
post #821 of 1365 Old 02-21-2008, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

After getting my AVIA II disc a couple days ago, I've finished calibrating and testing. The dvd was helpful in calibrating my color level, but not much else. I turned off all enhancements to calibrate, like the guys on the dvd said to. After calibrating, though, I realized there are some things I can't leave off. And, I did have some revelations about my white balance settings, and here are my new settings:
contrast 94
brightness 44
sharpness 75
color 47
tint 50
backlight 8
color tone normal
black adjust low
dynamic contrast off
color space auto
gamma -1
white balance
roffset 15
goffset 14
boffset 14
rgain 15
ggain 15
bgain 13
my color control 15
edge enhancement on
DNR high

Happy viewing!

"Talk to me Goose."
post #822 of 1365 Old 02-21-2008, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

Well, maybe they are all calibrated in. All I know is that I posted a link to a calibration I did with a DTP-94 colorimeter, alluringreality's HD (BR) DVD, and ColorHCFA. I posted the graphs, and the results were pretty darn good, IMO.

I also posted the settings I used to get that calibration, but nobody responded. Not a peep.

I have done a lot more with calibrating this TV, including many different PS3 and TV colorspace settings, and my current best calibration is even better than the one I posted. I also tested most, if not all of, the variations in setup both on the PS3 and the 71. I even found the best calibration for Dynamic Mode.

But since nobody was interested, I figure why bother to go to all that trouble to show the results and give out the settings. I think for the most part when peeps post their settings nobody gives them a look. It appears to be true even when the settings are based on an actual colorimeter calibration. Sure the one I did was not with a $20,000 spectroradiometer, but you can be sure that if it was, I, like the guys that make their living doing calibrations, wouldn't be giving out the settings for free either.

Currently, btw, I am waiting for a Samsung tech to show up and enable the "My Color Controls". The reason I need these to work is that in my calibrations the TV does not have enough brightness with the primary colors of blue and green, and these controls adjust just that (... if only they worked!) Oh, and the pro that posted his calibration results (not settings ... but he made all his adjustments in service menu anyway) also noted that these controls have no effect. I believe the CNET review said the same thing.

I used your settings for my fw2002 and found them to be quite good, I think I adjusted by backlight alittle due to my room light but overall was quite please. I didn't see your settings for ps3, I'll have to go back and read thru them to see if I can find it. I use it as my BD player and haven't found the settings I'm happy with just yet.

Thanks again.
post #823 of 1365 Old 02-21-2008, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allornothing View Post

I used your settings for my fw2002 and found them to be quite good, I think I adjusted by backlight alittle due to my room light but overall was quite please. I didn't see your settings for ps3, I'll have to go back and read thru them to see if I can find it. I use it as my BD player and haven't found the settings I'm happy with just yet.

Thanks again.

If you are using settings I did a couple of months ago, those were just "eyeballing it".

Here is the post in this thread from the actual calibration. The settings used to get the graphs are in this post because only 71 owners would be interested.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=735

This is the link that is in the above post, it is in the ColorHCFR thread where the graphs are:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post13070380

I have some better settings since then, though.
post #824 of 1365 Old 02-21-2008, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

interesting. Trying to calibrate the HDMI named PC I found too much green primary and not enough red. My color doesn't adjust red, but perhaps I could dial green way down and blue down a bit and then boost backlight a notch or something. Hopefully that wouldn't just make green ok but red even more faded out. Have you played around with HDMI PC mode much?
I may need to get these dials enabled. I wonder why they turned them off to begin with. I wonder if it might be easy to set them on in the service menu and perhaps adjut the primaries directly there.
Looking at the SM, it didn't seem to promising to be able to set the oclors for each and every invidual mode, such as say HDMI PC mode vs HDMI regualr mode. Hopefully, I'm wrong.
post #825 of 1365 Old 02-21-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:

I am using your old settings and they are working fine, but would be interested in seeing your current settings.
post #826 of 1365 Old 02-21-2008, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKE4742 View Post

After getting my AVIA II disc a couple days ago, I've finished calibrating and testing. The dvd was helpful in calibrating my color level, but not much else. I turned off all enhancements to calibrate, like the guys on the dvd said to. After calibrating, though, I realized there are some things I can't leave off. And, I did have some revelations about my white balance settings, and here are my new settings:
contrast 98
brightness 45
sharpness 100
color 47
tint 50
backlight 8
color tone normal
black adjust low
dynamic contrast off
color space wide
gamma -3
white balance
roffset 15
goffset 14
boffset 13
rgain 8
ggain 14
bgain 19
my color control 15
edge enhancement on
DNR high

Happy viewing!

contrast 98? gamma -3?backlight 8? sharpness 100?!? No offense, but these settings seem way off.
post #827 of 1365 Old 02-21-2008, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum5000 View Post

interesting. Trying to calibrate the HDMI named PC I found too much green primary and not enough red. My color doesn't adjust red, but perhaps I could dial green way down and blue down a bit and then boost backlight a notch or something. Hopefully that wouldn't just make green ok but red even more faded out. Have you played around with HDMI PC mode much?
I may need to get these dials enabled. I wonder why they turned them off to begin with. I wonder if it might be easy to set them on in the service menu and perhaps adjut the primaries directly there.
Looking at the SM, it didn't seem to promising to be able to set the oclors for each and every invidual mode, such as say HDMI PC mode vs HDMI regualr mode. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

That is interesting about too much green in HDMI PC. I haven't looked at PC. I was wondering if the My Color Control sliders did anything in PC, but I guess you've answered that.

When I looked at seeing how far off Dynamic Mode is with the colorimeter, I found that there is a setting (I forget the exact name, but it is only enabled in Dynamic Mode, and it's called something like "Auto Color" ... it says it boosts green and blue). This setting does boost both green and blue to ALMOST what they are supposed to be compared to white (green=71% of white; blue=8% of white luminance are the targets). Unfortunately you can't adjust grayscale in Dynamic mode. The Color adjustment increases or decreases the luminance of all colors, but the proportion remains the same. So you could get red, green or blue to the right value, but the other two would be off. TomHuffman recommends setting red with the color control. When you do that with the 71, green and blue are too low.

If you look at craigr (CIR Engineering) calibration post, you can figure out that he uses slightly different numbers for target luminance of RGB compared to white than TomHuffman recommends. Except for blue it could be rounding error:

Huffman's "targeted luminance values" and MY ACTUAL RESULTS:
R=21% of white MY ACTUAL IN ABOVE POST: 20.9%
G=71% of white MY ACTUAL IN ABOVE POST: 64.4%
B=8% of white MY ACTUAL IN ABOVE POST: 5.7%

craigr's "targeted luminance values" and his Actual: (looking at his luminance for white and then using his targets for RGB)
R=21.3% of white Actual: R=21.2% - 21.5% of white
G=71.5% of white Actual: G=65.9% - 67.6% of white
B=7.2% of white Actual: B=6.1% - 6.7% of white

(As I already mentioned, in Dynamic Mode with Auto Color=ON (or whatever it's called) the green and blue get very close to where they should be.)

craigr's luminance values for green and blue are a little closer to the goal than I am finding. He may have been able to get some improvement in the service menu (where he did the entire calibration, btw.) This would mean of course that these adjustments are there. OTOH, maybe it is just the superiority of his measuring device. The way he describes these numbers, it seems like he is saying that's just what they are. So if I can get them to enable the controls in My Color Control, I'm thinking pretty much everything that can be done with the 71 can then be done in the User Menu (see below about hue/saturation).

In another post craigr said that he couldn't move green to where it should be in the CIE chart and that the 71s don't have a full featured CMS. The features lacking appear to be adjustments for hue and/or saturation (probably both, I'm guessing.)

When I was talking to Sammy support and getting them to send a tech to turn on the My Color controls I asked if it was just something to turn on in the service menu. They said if you go there your warranty is voided. I don't know but I have a suspicion that they can tell if you go into service menu.
post #828 of 1365 Old 02-21-2008, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For those that asked here are the improved settings that give both the best measured calibration and the best subjective viewing. I'll post the calibration outputs and graphs when I get a chance.

For display I use the AVS HD 709 Blu-ray version put out by alluringreality and hwjohn. This runs through my PS3. I use an X-rite DTP-94 colorimiter with ColorHCFR software.

After I get the settings I just enter them when I change input to my DirecTV HD viewing. No way to say for sure that they are "right" for anything other than PS3 BR, but they look pretty good to me.

If something is bold it is different from the other calibration I posted.

HDMI setting in Setup: Standard
PS3 with YPbCr=ON and Superwhite=ON

Mode: Movie (Why Movie? Because it is the only mode that has DNie OFF and leaves Detailed Settings open)
Cont: 82
Bright: 43
Sharp: 15 (not that I can see a difference ... and didn't calibrate it anyway)
Color: 42
Tint: 49/51 (and this is how you adjust the secondary color of Cyan!)
Backlight 4
DETAILED SETTINGS
Warm1
DNR: Off
Black adj: Off
Dynam cont: Off
Gamma: 0
Color: Auto (not Wide)
Edge enh: Off
xvYcc: Off
DNie: Off (greyed out)
White Balance:
R offset: 18
G offset: 16
B offset: 15
R gain: 9
G gain: 9
B gain: 15

Color Control: all on 15 (only the white slider changes anything)

BTW, if you need more light, as in sports or if the room is bright, just increase the backlight. That doesn't mess with the calibration settings.
post #829 of 1365 Old 02-21-2008, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

When I was talking to Sammy support and getting them to send a tech to turn on the My Color controls I asked if it was just something to turn on in the service menu. They said if you go there your warranty is voided. I don't know but I have a suspicion that they can tell if you go into service menu.

so then all these people paid $500 for calibrations and voided their warranty ?

i bet they were just trying to scare you.
post #830 of 1365 Old 02-21-2008, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrTAPOUT View Post

contrast 98? gamma -3?backlight 8? sharpness 100?!? No offense, but these settings seem way off.

The way I see it, gamma provides an air type filter over the colors, which is why it says on screen "primary color intensity". I'd rather have the colors in all their fullness, instead of covering them up with a foggy filter. Backilight 8? I like alot of pop. The whites seem too grayish and dim with contrast lower than 98. I like whites to look white, instead of using a lower backlight or contrast. If my eyes could take it, I'd rather use backlight at 9. Sharpness? I can't help it, I like sharp images.

"Talk to me Goose."
post #831 of 1365 Old 02-21-2008, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKE4742 View Post

The way I see it, gamma provides an air type filter over the colors, which is why it says on screen "primary color intensity". I'd rather have the colors in all their fullness, instead of covering them up with a foggy filter. Backilight 8? I like alot of pop. The whites seem too grayish and dim with contrast lower than 98. I like whites to look white, instead of using a lower backlight or contrast. If my eyes could take it, I'd rather use backlight at 9. Sharpness? I can't help it, I like sharp images.

gamma is not a foggy filter. it's kinda of the shape of the curve of how the luminance drops from bright to dark.

if you use a lower backlight and you can better blacks (and probably evem better contrast ratio once your eyes adjust back down). you get whites white by using white balance controls.
post #832 of 1365 Old 02-22-2008, 05:10 AM

Quote:

so then all these people paid $500 for calibrations and voided their warranty ?

i bet they were just trying to scare you.

When you pay a "licensed professional" to do this it does not void the warranty, but if a non "licensed professional" such as yourself were to do it and they found it then it would void the warranty, what is funny is in some cases the non Lic Pro knows more then the Lic Pro that does the work, go figure...
post #833 of 1365 Old 02-22-2008, 06:39 AM

Quote:

I generally do try out all these settings. However, I have soo many different ones laying around it's getting hard to keep them all straight.
post #834 of 1365 Old 02-22-2008, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

gamma is not a foggy filter. it's kinda of the shape of the curve of how the luminance drops from bright to dark.

if you use a lower backlight and you can better blacks (and probably evem better contrast ratio once your eyes adjust back down). you get whites white by using white balance controls.

Thanks for that simple explanation. It makes sense, and I can see what you're saying. I bumped my gamma up to -1, and NOW my picture looks perfect. Still can't go lower than 8 for my backlight, though. It's just too dim, for me. Thanks again!

Had to adjust my contrast, also. Turned it down to 95, and put AMP on high, and now Madden 08 looks like a broadcast.

"Talk to me Goose."
post #835 of 1365 Old 02-22-2008, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by z-vap View Post

I generally do try out all these settings. However, I have soo many different ones laying around it's getting hard to keep them all straight.

+1
post #836 of 1365 Old 02-22-2008, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
KJGarrison, thanks for the new settings, I'll try them out when I'm all alone, the wife and kids scream "leave it alone" when I pick up the remote these days.
post #837 of 1365 Old 02-22-2008, 12:14 PM

Yea thanks KJGarrison. much appreciated!
post #838 of 1365 Old 02-22-2008, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

For those that asked here are the improved settings that give both the best measured calibration and the best subjective viewing. I'll post the calibration outputs and graphs when I get a chance.

For display I use the AVS HD 709 Blu-ray version put out by alluringreality and hwjohn. This runs through my PS3. I use an X-rite DTP-94 colorimiter with ColorHCFR software.

After I get the settings I just enter them when I change input to my DirecTV HD viewing. No way to say for sure that they are "right" for anything other than PS3 BR, but they look pretty good to me.

If something is bold it is different from the other calibration I posted.

HDMI setting in Setup: Standard
PS3 with YPbCr=ON and Superwhite=ON

Mode: Movie (Why Movie? Because it is the only mode that has DNie OFF and leaves Detailed Settings open)
Cont: 82
Bright: 43
Sharp: 15 (not that I can see a difference ... and didn't calibrate it anyway)
Color: 42
Tint: 49/51 (and this is how you adjust the secondary color of Cyan!)
Backlight 4
DETAILED SETTINGS
Warm1
DNR: Off
Black adj: Off
Dynam cont: Off
Gamma: 0
Color: Auto (not Wide)
Edge enh: Off
xvYcc: Off
DNie: Off (greyed out)
White Balance:
R offset: 18
G offset: 16
B offset: 15
R gain: 9
G gain: 9
B gain: 15

Color Control: all on 15 (only the white slider changes anything)

BTW, if you need more light, as in sports or if the room is bright, just increase the backlight. That doesn't mess with the calibration settings.

I have been using the calibrated D65 settings from the UK HDTV review site, and I have been happy with them. If you have the means to make accurate measurements, you may want to give this a try when you have time:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Samsung-LE...D/Settings.php

Of course, YMMV, and every set is different.

CLau
post #839 of 1365 Old 02-22-2008, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, I would have tried your settings, but it seems your tv and mine are on different wavelengths. I really think you need different settings for the 1xxx and 2xxx sets. Dont know if it is the actual firmware that makes the difference, or if it is the panel itself, i.e. SQ01 vs. SS01/SS02

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
post #840 of 1365 Old 02-22-2008, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:

If you are using settings I did a couple of months ago, those were just "eyeballing it".

Here is the post in this thread from the actual calibration. The settings used to get the graphs are in this post because only 71 owners would be interested.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=735

This is the link that is in the above post, it is in the ColorHCFR thread where the graphs are:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post13070380

I have some better settings since then, though.

At first I used your settings and liked them quite a bit. Then I tried Skibum's settings and liked them even more. I'm going to compare your new settings/skibums/d65 to see which is best on my 2002/2004
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page