Official Samsung 71series calibration thread - Page 45 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1321 of 1365 Old 07-15-2008, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
thanks alot skimbum5000!!!, I'll try these out ASAP It'll be very hard not to put dynamic contrast to low but im gonna try to trick myself that its already on lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 1365 Old 07-21-2008, 12:45 PM

Liked: 11
Just wanted to post a shout out to Craig Rounds of CIR-Engineering. He stopped by my place on his Calibration tour on July 14 and did his magic on my LN-T4671F. Absolutely awesome picture. Craig was right on time. Very professional and answered all of my questions. Even helped me out with a PC issue which is all taken care of now, thanks Craig.

So I highly recommend Craig for anyone considering a professional calibration. You will not regret it!

Bruce
"...if we all believe in the things you believe you're seeing..." EJ/BT 76

Denon X2100W
Sony UHP-P1
U-Turn Orbit Custom
post #1323 of 1365 Old 07-31-2008, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, i have been searching this forum for a quite a time now and i have still yet to find any settings for the 1013.1 firmware with a PS3 for movies and games and i would much much much appreciate anyones calibrations or a link to where i could find some. Thank you guys very much in advance and keep up the good work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1324 of 1365 Old 08-17-2008, 08:23 PM

can anybody help me, I have a lnt4071, I downloaded the 1013 firmware to my tv and now I have only sound no picture, can't even see menu, also the source light on tv constantly blinking white
post #1325 of 1365 Old 08-19-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater257 View Post

can anybody help me, I have a lnt4071, I downloaded the 1013 firmware to my tv and now I have only sound no picture, can't even see menu, also the source light on tv constantly blinking white

Wow that sucks, have you seen sections 1.3 & 1.4 of the FAQ? These contain information regarding the service menu, bricked tvs and perhaps hosed firmware upgrades.

Good luck!
post #1326 of 1365 Old 09-04-2008, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywater View Post

Just wanted to post a shout out to Craig Rounds of CIR-Engineering. He stopped by my place on his Calibration tour on July 14 and did his magic on my LN-T4671F. Absolutely awesome picture. Craig was right on time. Very professional and answered all of my questions. Even helped me out with a PC issue which is all taken care of now, thanks Craig.

So I highly recommend Craig for anyone considering a professional calibration. You will not regret it!

Wow, thanks for the nice comments

craigr

Precision Video Calibration Craig Rounds
JETI Specbos 1211 Spectroradiometer
Klein K10-A Laboratory Grade Colorimeter
Murideo Fresco Six-G & Six-A HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator / Analyzer
LightSpace XPS Pro & ChromaPure Pro Color Calibration Software
www.CIR-Engineering.com - [email protected]
post #1327 of 1365 Old 09-04-2008, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Hey guys,

If you recall, I wrote this review (LINK) after I calibrated a couple 81 series Samsung LCD's. I've done tons of these sets now and I still really like them!

Anyway, I am putting together a calibration tour that will include California, Arizona, Denver, and many stops between Chicago and the west... Check the map below for coverage.

If you'd like me to do your Samsung while I'm out please send a single email ([email protected]) with your full name, full address, phone number(s), and TV make / model. I can then register you for the tour so that you receive a "confirmation" email next week. Once you get the confirmation just follow the instructions it contains to book a calibration date.

Registration will be open until at least mid September, but after that it will become very difficult to add more customers... so let me know ASAP if you are interested.

craigr

post #1328 of 1365 Old 09-04-2008, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIR-Engineering View Post

Hey guys,

If you recall, I wrote this review (LINK) after I calibrated a couple 81 series Samsung LCD's. I've done tons of these sets now and I still really like them!

Anyway, I am putting together a calibration tour that will include California, Arizona, Denver, and many stops between Chicago and the west... Check the map below for coverage.

If you'd like me to do your Samsung while I'm out please send a single email ([email protected]) with your full name, full address, phone number(s), and TV make / model. I can then register you for the tour so that you receive a "confirmation" email next week. Once you get the confirmation just follow the instructions it contains to book a calibration date.

Registration will be open until at least mid September, but after that it will become very difficult to add more customers... so let me know ASAP if you are interested.

craigr

What is your rate to calibrate the TV? Do you calibrate on the different inputs as wel? PS3? Satellite IRD? I am going to be in southeast TX next month.
post #1329 of 1365 Old 09-04-2008, 05:31 PM

hey craig,

I am interested in getting my lnt-4071 calibrated, wondering when you're in chicago area next? Thanks, Eric
post #1330 of 1365 Old 09-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsman View Post

What is your rate to calibrate the TV? Do you calibrate on the different inputs as wel? PS3? Satellite IRD? I am going to be in southeast TX next month.

Please contact me for pricing as the situation dictates. Usually my price will include all inputs and scan rates. I also verify that the source matches the calibration and when possible make adjustments to the source or display device to help compensate.

craigr

post #1331 of 1365 Old 09-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater257 View Post

hey craig,

I am interested in getting my lnt-4071 calibrated, wondering when you're in chicago area next? Thanks, Eric

I live in Chicago so setting something up should be simple Please send me a single email [email protected] Also include your full name, full address, phone numbers, and make / model. Then I can get the ball rolling.

craigr

post #1332 of 1365 Old 09-06-2008, 08:46 AM

I've tried reading through these threads and because I'm such a newbie to this stuff it gives me headaches. I am looking for what I believe to be two separate setups. On one hand I have Charter's Motorola HD cable box hooked to the TV via HDMI that we watch TV on, mostly sports/movies/HD programming. On the other hand I have a PS3 connected via HDMI that I watch upscaled DVDs, Blu-Ray movies and play games on. Should I use the same or different settings for each? Which settings are pretty much the consensus for each?
BTW, I like the 3D effect that AMP provides; it is what sold me on the TV in the first place. CC had the TV by its front door playing Transformers and the 3D effects blew everyone (including me) away.
The downside is that I still experience TBE. I checked the firmware and am running 2004.0 so I don't believe it needs to be upgraded.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
post #1333 of 1365 Old 09-21-2008, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I haven't checked this thread in a long time (4 months about) is there anything new I should know? I've definitely stopped fiddling with my TV. Is there new Firmware that I need? Has the TBE been fixed?

Thanks.
post #1334 of 1365 Old 10-13-2008, 02:15 PM

I originally posted in the owners' forum thinking I was in the calibration thread. Sorry about that.

I have 5271f which I bought last year w/FW 1009. I followed this great forum to get best settings for dynamic and have been very happy w/the results. I just changed from Comcast to AT&T fiber optics using same HDMI cable and my signal to the TV has changed. The picture was so bright I had to turn down the backlight 3 ticks. The very darks are all black wo/definition. facial skin tones seem to be matted wo/the sharpness of before and there seems to be a touch more pink. Is there a different set of settings for AT&T/fiber optics feeds?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
post #1335 of 1365 Old 10-22-2008, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Craig CIR Engineering,

Any plans for a New England area trip?
post #1336 of 1365 Old 12-07-2008, 05:00 AM

Hey guys i have been monitoring this forum for about a year now and it seems no one has posted settings for ps3 with a 1013.1 firmware even though Ive seen many requests for it. I would also love some ps3 settings so my blueray movies can look the best possible. If anyone has a 71 series with 1013.1 firmware and also a ps3 please post which settings you are using as it will be a big help to alot of us.

Thank you
post #1337 of 1365 Old 01-11-2009, 08:08 AM

Hi all. My 46" came in a few days ago after having to get a new set due to a bezel break. I used someones calibration results, but the blue spectrum is just off. I have a Topaz blue menu screen that looks like it is algae green and the same goes for the University of Kentucky's uniforms. Is anyone else having issues with their blue color? Is it possible that part of the motherboard or processor that handles cyan is broken but all other colors are fine?
I reset the calibration back to the factory presets and the problem is still present.

Thanks.
post #1338 of 1365 Old 01-25-2009, 03:50 PM

I've tried posting this in the 4671 owners forum but have had no response regarding my calibration problem. My setup is as follows:

Sammy 4671 connected via HDMI 2 to a Denon 3808 receiver. The 3808 has both a Denon 2930 DVD player and a PS3 (which I use for Bluray movies) connected to it, and of course both players are going through the 3808 receiver to the HDMI 2 connection on the 4671.

I've calibrated the Denon 2930 DVD player using Avia II with the 4671 in Movie mode and am very happy with the settings. However, when I play Blurays through the PS3 with the 4671 in Movie mode (same calibrated settings used for the 2930 DVD player of course), the image seems to dark. I was hoping that I could calibrate the Standard setting in HDMI 2 on the 4671 for the PS3 using the Avia II disc and use that setting exclusively for the PS3 Bluray movies , however with the Standard setting I do not have access to all of the functions as with the Movie setting (color tones for example - Warm 1 and Warm 2 are grayed out).

Surely someone else with the 4671 connected to a receiver with multiple movie sources has encountered the same problem: what is the best way to address this?
post #1339 of 1365 Old 02-11-2009, 03:40 PM

Sorry for the bump. I'm having the same problem as the previous poster. All the calibrations I've tried for my PS3 during BluRay playback generally have an image that is too dark. Shadows tend to cross entire sides of faces. Anyone with some tips/suggestions would be thanked.
post #1340 of 1365 Old 02-15-2009, 09:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstraw97 View Post

I've tried posting this in the 4671 owners forum but have had no response regarding my calibration problem. My setup is as follows:.......................... what is the best way to address this?

Hmmm, I could have sworn I made some suggestions on that thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transformed View Post

Sorry for the bump. I'm having the same problem as the previous poster. All the calibrations I've tried for my PS3 during BluRay playback generally have an image that is too dark. Shadows tend to cross entire sides of faces. Anyone with some tips/suggestions would be thanked.

Guys...try calibrating your 71f's via the PS3 with AVS HD 709:
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

What this does is provide a AVSHD file of calibrations which is a virtual HD 16:9 method of doing calibrations. You burn the file onto a regular DVD (from your computer)but it can only be used on the PS3 blu-ray player!
It's easy, fast, and gives you a good overview of what BTB(brightness) and overwhite (contrast) actually is. Best of all...it's FREE.

Before the cal:
1.Make sure you have the PS3 set up correctly before doing calibration of the 71f.
2.use a decent HDMI 1.3 cert cable to make sure the full bandwidth of the PS3 is utilized
3.best to first do everything with PS3 direct to TV....then latter put the AVR in the mix

BTW, I find it impossible to get all the calibrations spot-on....probably only a certified pro calibrator can do that.

all is good....LNT4671 1005/1001 SQ01 w/old PS3 80G,Oppo 83 & 2400ES into Mirage OS3FS
post #1341 of 1365 Old 02-17-2009, 03:55 PM

I try every setting on this treath and any one make my set look with that pop that many talking about and i only can get with dynamic contrast turning on but make colors dont look very natural.

I download AVS HD 709 (https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496) work with Movie mode and warm1 but I can´t have a great greyscale because always have a lot of green.

I work for + 3 months with many variation of calibrations on this thread until I read that excelent Greyscale & colour calibration for dummies (about a week)

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

I like to share this settings for all that have poor blue saturation on Movie mode with warm1 settings and have firmware 2004. Please try this settings and tell me what you think.

Picture mode: Movie
Contrast: 84
Brightness: 46
Sharpness: 35
Color: 50
Tint: 50/50
Backlight: 5
Color tone: warm1
Size: Just Scan
Digital NR: off
Active Color: greyed out
DNIe: greyed out

Detail Settings
Dynamic Contrast: off
Black adjust: off
Gamma: 0
Color Space: Wide (this help with cyan)

white balance
R-Offset 14
G-Offset 12
B-Offset 12
R-Gain 2
G-Gain 17
B-Gain 30

My color control
Pink-15
Green-15
Blue-15
White-26 (this is the big change and is the only way i found have btb and wtw on warm1)

Edge Enhancement: On
Energy save: Auto (this help with dark scenes but you need to goin up with backlight)
HDMI black level: low

every other setting on default
post #1342 of 1365 Old 02-22-2009, 09:02 AM

What is a good setup for xbox 360 w/ hdmi? How do I get rid of the glowing edges of people on the xbox 360 w/hdmi?
post #1343 of 1365 Old 02-24-2009, 10:07 PM

contrast setting not responding
ok so ive just received my calibrating dvd (dve hd basics). My tv is a samsung Ln-t4071 (lcd). I will be using the ps3 as a bd player. i have a few concerning about how to setup everything before i start the calibration (keep in mind that this my first time performing a calibration).

1st how do i set up my ps3 settings?(video output format-RGB or Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr- ,RGB full range HDMI -limited or full- ,Super-White -on or off-, as well for other ps3 settings) Im also using a hdmi connection.

2nd how do i setup my tv menu settings? (should i start the calibration with all the settings on default?, i watch tv in a completely dark room so where should i set the backlight level and should i use the idealume bias light during the process?, i will do this process with th movie mode selected but what is closest to 6500 k -warm 1 or warm 2-, and what about all of the detailed settings, HDMI Black Level and the energy saving feature)?

3rd so far i watch the introduction part explaining how HD has progressed in time, i also tried the basic calibrations ( btw not all of the patterns are narrated and explained very well especially for a non professional noob like myself).
Setting the balck level was a breeze but the contrast is another
story. Using the reverse grayscale pattern I could not get any of the steps to merge together at the very end of the peak white, even at maximum contrast setting. So how do i set the contrast when this pattern is not responding. I know lcd tv s produce very bright whites as compared to other panel tv s but im sure the creators of this dvd must have considered this.
Also sharpness doesnt seem to function either because even if i set it to low or high nothing on the screen changes( no halo or white edges, sharp or dull).

4th The results i got with this DVD were awfully close to what i had achieved with just using my eyes to calibrate my TV, so in a sense this dvd seems to have been pointless in achieving better picture quality ,ok maybe just slightly better results.

5th How are other calibrating dvds compared to DVE? Like the AVS HD 709 or Avia 2( not in HD though)

I know that im not trying to achieve miracle results or differences being day and night from MY previous settings(but probably compared to the default settings). But maybe i would be able to see difference if i can properly set my ps3 and tv settings before starting the calibration process.
post #1344 of 1365 Old 02-25-2009, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by amp pop View Post

contrast setting not responding
ok so ive just received my calibrating dvd (dve hd basics).. But maybe i would be able to see difference if i can properly set my ps3 and tv settings before starting the calibration process.

Amp...see the other thread where you asked this

Also..see my post above on this page.

all is good....LNT4671 1005/1001 SQ01 w/old PS3 80G,Oppo 83 & 2400ES into Mirage OS3FS
post #1345 of 1365 Old 02-25-2009, 04:22 PM

Here are my 5271 user settings

Contrast: 100
Brightness: 42
Sharpness: 0
Color: 32
Backlight: 4 (this was set to match room light level)
Color tone: warm2
Size: 16:9
Digital NR: Off

Detail Settings
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Black adjust: Off
Gamma: +1
Color Space: Auto

White Balance
R-Offset 15
G-Offset 14
B-Offset 13
R-Gain 17
G-Gain 8
B-Gain 30

My color control
Pink-15
Green-15
Blue-15
White-15

xvYCC: Off
Edge Enhancement: Off
HDMI black level: Normal
AMP: Low (changed to medium for some films)
post #1346 of 1365 Old 02-25-2009, 08:50 PM

This is my second try

Contrast: 84
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 20
Color: 50
Backlight: 4 (your like and light of your room)
Color tone: warm1
DNIe: greyed out

Detail Settings
Gamma: +2 (this help to see more detail in dark scenes)

white balance
R-Offset 16
G-Offset 14
B-Offset 14
R-Gain 5
G-Gain 19
B-Gain 30

My color control
Pink-15
Green-15
Blue-15
White-26 (this is the big change and is the only way i found have btb and wtw on warm1)

Energy save: Auto

post #1347 of 1365 Old 02-28-2009, 03:40 PM

I have a bit of a dumb question for gaming.

I have the LN55A950 i purchase for the living room in december and the LNt4071F that i have owned for over a year now.

For some reason while playing Gears of War 2 online on the 55 i play better than on the 40. Found out that the newer model has 4ms Response time and the older model has 8ms... Does the Response time affect my gaming because i feel like i am always delayed on my gaming with the LNT4071F?
post #1348 of 1365 Old 03-04-2009, 08:05 PM

hey where did everybody disappear to? Is this thread all of a sudden on life support? I had to look on the 7th page, WOW i thought i would have to look in the archives.
Ok i will attempt to revive it. I mean is everybody given up on calibrating the 71, or is everybody mesmerized by the luxia series? So am i, lol.

Anyway if any one stumbles in this thread by mistake or something maybe he can help answer my question.

i tried calibrating my 71 with the DVE HD Basics dvd and cant understand the contrast setting pattern(grey scale reverse). I turned the contrast level all the way up to 100 and it wont bloom or clip or meld or mesh or blend, im talking about the last two steps.
I wont leave it to max because i watch tv in the dark and i care about my eyes. i noticed from all the calibrations in this tread that the contrast was somehow set, how?

I had no problem with brightness or color but i didnt understand how to set sharpness. Why wont it do anything even though i set it anywhere from lowest to highest. There is no halo or edging or anything. Is it like the placebo effect or what?
post #1349 of 1365 Old 03-08-2009, 06:14 AM

This is my last try and I think better. If some one dont like warm, I made a normal settings too.

Picture mode: Movie / Normal
Contrast: 82
Brightness: 43
Sharpness: 20
Color: 53
Tint: 50-50
Backlight: 4 (your like and light of your room)
Color tone: normal
DNIe: off / on

Detail Settings
Gamma: +2 (this help to see more detail in dark scenes)

white balance
R-Offset 18
G-Offset 16
B-Offset 16
R-Gain 1
G-Gain 11
B-Gain 30

My color control
Pink-15
Green-15
Blue-15
White-26

Energy save: Auto

post #1350 of 1365 Old 03-08-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp pop View Post

hey where did everybody disappear to? Is this thread all of a sudden on life support? I had to look on the 7th page, WOW i thought i would have to look in the archives.
Ok i will attempt to revive it. I mean is everybody given up on calibrating the 71, or is everybody mesmerized by the luxia series? So am i, lol.

Anyway if any one stumbles in this thread by mistake or something maybe he can help answer my question.

i tried calibrating my 71 with the DVE HD Basics dvd and cant understand the contrast setting pattern(grey scale reverse). I turned the contrast level all the way up to 100 and it wont bloom or clip or meld or mesh or blend, im talking about the last two steps.
I wont leave it to max because i watch tv in the dark and i care about my eyes. i noticed from all the calibrations in this tread that the contrast was somehow set, how?

I had no problem with brightness or color but i didnt understand how to set sharpness. Why wont it do anything even though i set it anywhere from lowest to highest. There is no halo or edging or anything. Is it like the placebo effect or what?

I think first you need read this to help you get a better calibration:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

I have the same problem with contrast. Try to going to 100 and you note that grey color change to blue, if you going to low this change to red , then going back until you get the same gray color for first to last (before white). I try too only see bars before white (253 I think)
About sharpness, in my case have on 20, but i have Edge Enhancement on because if i turn off, i see blur image, and found something too, this help me to see in contrast test last bar before black if i going up.

I use AVS-HD 709 to make my calibration but I hope this help you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page