AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   LCD Flat Panel Displays (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/)
-   -   Official Samsung 71series calibration thread (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/901174-official-samsung-71series-calibration-thread.html)

slumpey326 09-01-2007 04:15 PM

*********UPDATE, I AM NOW USING STULALOYD'S SETTINGS EXACTLY AS NOTED BELOW (POST #25) WITH GAME MODE ON. LOOKS GREAT ********



I am starting this thread please post settings/calibrations/comments.

Here is the only one I found so far posted by WPWoodJr from the Samsung 61/65 series. It appears people are using this on the 71 series as well, thanks:

I tried these from the 65 thread and they worked pretty well on 5th element...


Calibration stats: These are calibrated settings for HDMI inputs only. I used HCFR with a DTP-94 colorimeter to do the calibration.

For Backlight 8 and Contrast 100 over HDMI, average Gamma is 2.21; color temperature is 6500 +214 / -143 except at IRE 10 where it climbs to 7288; Delta E is mostly under 3; minimum black is 0.29 and maximum white is 375.84; contrast ratio (with Dynamic Contrast Off) is 1296:1. Look at the first attached JPG to see graphs of the calibration from HCFR at Backlight 8 and Contrast 100.

For Backlight 4 and Contrast 85 over HDMI, average Gamma is 2.16; color temperature is 6500 +318 / -189 except at IRE 10 where it climbs to 8005; Delta E is under 3 at 30 IRE and above; minimum black is 0.20 and maximum white is 176.69; contrast ratio (with Dynamic Contrast Off) is 883:1. Look at the second attached JPG to see graphs of the calibration from HCFR at Backlight 4 and Contrast 85.

Cable box / DVD setting: Set your cable box or DVD player to put out RGB over HDMI if possible. If the box is not putting out RGB, you will know because the TV setting for HDMI Black Level will be grayed out. The settings should still work ok but use RGB if possible, it seems to work better with the Dynamic Contrast "Low" setting. Do not set your cable box or DVD player to put out a "Full" or "Enhanced" RGB range (as this will lead to blacks being too dark), unless you also set the TV's HDMI Black Level to "Normal" instead of "Low".

PS3 Setting: When using a PS3 with these settings, set the BD/DVD settings to "RGB", not "Auto" or "YCbCr". Secondly, either 1) set the PS3 to RGB "Limited" and set the TV's HDMI Black Level to "Low" as specified below; or 2) set the PS3 to RGB "Full" and set the TV's HDMI Black Level to "Normal". If you don't use one of these two settings the shadows will be screwed up.

XBox 360 Setting: When using a 360 with these settings, either 1) set the 360 to "Standard" and set the TV's HDMI Black Level to "Low" as specified below; or 2) set the Xbox to "Expanded" and set the TV's HDMI Black Level to "Normal". If you don't use one of these two settings the shadows will be screwed up.

Notes: This calibration produces excellent black detail without sacrificing dark blacks. I like a little pop so I have set "Dynamic Contrast" to "Low" after calibration.

The settings:
Picture
Mode Movie
Contrast 85-100 (85 if you have a dark room and/or like subdued settings, 100 if you like a lot of "pop" or the room is well-lit)
Brightness 44
Sharpness 20
Color 50
Tint 50
Backlight 1-8 (4 if you have a dark room and/or like subdued settings, 8 if you like a lot of "pop" or the room is well-lit)

Color Tone Warm1
Digital NR Auto

Detailed Settings
Black Adjust Off
Dynamic Contrast Low
Gamma -1
Color Space Auto
Edge Enhancement On
xvYCC Off

White Balance
R-Offset 21
G-Offset 20
B-Offset 21
R-Gain 0
G-Gain 21
B-Gain 26

My Color Control
Pink 20
Green 15
Blue 15
White 15

Setup
Energy Saving Off
HDMI Black Level Low (will be grayed out if the input is Component or if your HDMI video source is putting out a YCbCr signal instead of RGB - OK but RGB better as noted above)

Tv's should be the same just the 24hz and higher contrast to give a deeper black.


Dont know about these two:
Auto Motion Plus 120hz: ?
Film Mode: ?

WPWoodJr 09-01-2007 07:31 PM

My signature line contains the original post these settings were taken from. I will be updating this post soon for component inputs.

axmode 09-01-2007 08:21 PM

OP: Perhaps the poster above me was being too diplomatic, but here is my take:

Your settings are exactly the same as WPWOODJr's settings in the Samsung 61/65 series calibration thread (in fact, your post #1 on this thread is plagiarized). Please give major credit where it is due, as WPWOODJr and some others on that thread have busted their collective arse's for the 61/65 owners, which have also provided a solid foundation for your calibration thread.

slumpey326 09-02-2007 05:51 AM

changed it, if someone found other good settings and for film mode and auto motion plus 120hz please advise

mykalt45 09-02-2007 06:44 AM

I watched an upscaled DVD, and when you have the automotion it makes it look fake, like too 3D. It is way too smooth. It didn't even look like a movie, but taken live. However, I had it on low on Blu-ray, and it looked alright. I used the settings in the OP, but when I used them while playing Lair on the PS3, the colors were all messed up, like the reds were too read, there was a lot of glare with the bright objects (things meant to reflect or produce light), and the whites were way too blue. I'm still going to play with it some more. Also, does anyone know if the adjustments for each setting such as dynamic, movie, etc, will stay saved, so that if you switch to another and switch back they will be the same still?

Lwood 09-03-2007 09:34 AM

hi guys im getting my 4671 on the 5th. can someone please post a calibration setting for gaming. im using this LCD for gaming. i got a 360 premium, PS3, Wii.
and is there a secret menu that i can find that will allow me to tweak the calibration better?????

Rennject X 09-04-2007 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalt45 View Post

I watched an upscaled DVD, and when you have the automotion it makes it look fake, like too 3D. It is way too smooth. It didn't even look like a movie, but taken live. However, I had it on low on Blu-ray, and it looked alright.

I had the same reaction. I was watching King Kong on hddvd and it looked like it was being filmed in the room behind me and I was watching a live monitor of the shooting.

Part of that high resolution sounds appealing, but part of it makes a big time film look like a soap opera or one of those BBC dramatic productions shot using video.

I turned AMP off for now and will try it again when my Sammy blu-ray player shows up.

Drag'nGT 09-05-2007 06:17 AM

I made those adjustments to the TV while watching cable. I don't know if my box has the ability to do the rgb but at the moment it looks like the whites aren't as white as they should be. The TV's a little dull. Anyone else?

Rennject X 09-05-2007 04:09 PM

What changes can we make to the tvs to improve the look of standard def? Anything or am I out of luck?

Rennject X 09-05-2007 06:10 PM

Double post from owners thread to bump this thread -

Here's some good news - my flashlights have already reduced some tonight.

I found my Bourne Supremacy hd dvd(just moved and a lot of stuff is still in boxes). This movie, with a lot of brighter scenes, presents less of a challenge for the tv than King Kong with its moody(read: dark) lighting. Viewing Bourne in total darkness again to look for flashlights, I turned my backlighting up from 5 and cycle thru 8, 9, and 10 setting. I bump back down to 8 because it is more than enough. The white in the corners is greatly reduced as compared to last night. Setting the mode to "movie" boost the yellow in the picture and provides more of the depth look of film.

Bad news is that AMP is still not good with regards to motion. Again, currently I'm using an Xbox 360 Elite with hd dvd player connected via hdmi. I realize that this is not the perfect videophile setup, but I'm reporting what I can now. With AMP turned off, the picture is great and motion(even with super jerky camera work in all Bourne movies) is great. I wish the picture filled the entire screen and ditched the black bars, but those are the breaks.

If someone ask me "Should I buy a 71series?" I would give the tv a big thumbs up, even before I get my blu-ray player hooked up.

delt31 09-07-2007 05:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I am looking for good LCD gaming settings too - also I found a huge difference with the auto motion 120 turned to high during football last night. I have the 52 inch and I was noticing ghosting - put the 120 on to high and it was gone. Sweet.

Baukerman 09-07-2007 08:47 AM

My settings are almost identical to Slumpey, but I changed a couple of things: the items in red are my personal changes over Slumpey's. I have a dark room, so any super bright light from the tv is too much for my eyes. If you have a room with lots of light change the brightness to 4 or above. I have messed with the Auto Motion Plus with it On and Off I couldn't tell hardly any difference. As far as Film Mode, I turned it on, but who knows when it will really work when watching HD/SD channels. It probably works when watching Blue Ray or HD DVD.

The settings:
Picture Mode= Movie
Contrast 85
Brightness 44
Sharpness 20
Color 50
Tint 50
Backlight 3
Color Tone Warm1
Digital NR Auto

Detailed Settings
Black Adjust Low
Dynamic Contrast Low
Gamma -1
Color Space Auto
Edge Enhancement On
xvYCC Off

White Balance
R-Offset 21
G-Offset 20
B-Offset 21
R-Gain 0
G-Gain 21
B-Gain 26

My Color Control
Pink 20
Green 15
Blue 15
White 15

Auto Motion Plus 120hz = Low, However, once in a blue moon I do switch it to OFF just to mess with it.
Film Mode = On

skyehill 09-07-2007 07:34 PM

I'm trying out Wood's settings on my new 5271. Lots of pop for sure, but might be too much for my eyes in the dark. I'll just adjust some settings down if it becomes too much, but I am LOVING this picture. I have the motion set to off, and Just Scan is the screen mode.

gatorjag 09-07-2007 08:04 PM

Slumpey, my settings are about the same you have here. I do have automotion set on low and film mode on. I dont have any blurring on football games. I watched Rutgers and Navy tonight and it looked great.

delt31 09-07-2007 08:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I am crazy b/c I like the way it looks on the dynamic setting? I tried the settings you guys provided but it was way too dark and lack the pop that the dynamic has - it's so much clearer and hd looking with it on dynamic. Colors seem so much brighter (i have the 5271).

Lwood 09-08-2007 11:02 AM

here are my setting. via HDMI.. this is how i like it
Mode: Movie
contrast:99
Brightness: 44
Sharpness:29
Color: 62
Tint:51
Backlight:8
Color Tone:Normal

DETAIL SETTING
Black adjust: Low
Dynamic Contrast: Low
Gamma: -1
Color space: Auto

WHITE BALANCE

R-offset: 19
G-offset:17
B- offset:20
R-gain:19
G-gain:18
B-gain:26

MY COLOR CONTOL

Pink:19
green:15
Blue:19
White:23

Edge Enhancement;n
xvYCC;ff

Digital NR:auto
AMP: low

Zazzik 09-08-2007 03:49 PM

Why is everyone recommending to have xvYCC=Off?
I though that was a good thing to have On for colors, etc...

Lwood 09-08-2007 05:58 PM

i didnt like the way it made my color look

WPWoodJr 09-08-2007 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zazzik View Post

Why is everyone recommending to have xvYCC=Off?
I though that was a good thing to have On for colors, etc...

There is no source material encoded in the xvYCC color space, so if you turn it on, colors will be inaccurate.

binnn4 09-08-2007 09:00 PM

what is film mood?

Raptor007 09-08-2007 10:22 PM

Updated 2008-06-04:

(These settings really belong to kjgarrison.)


Samsung BD-UP5000: HDMI 1080p/24
BD-UP5000 Sharpness Off
BD-UP5000 DVD Noise Reduction Off

Mode Standard
Contrast 90
Brightness 44
Sharpness 25
Color 46
Tint G48 R52
Backlight 3 (sometimes 4 during daytime)
Color Tone Normal

Black Adjust Off
Dynamic Contrast Off
Gamma 0
Color Space Wide
White Balance 15 14 13 30 13 8
My Color Control 15 15 30 15
Edge Enhancement Off

Size Just Scan
Digital NR Off
DNIe On
Auto Motion Plus 120Hz Off

Game Mode Off
Energy Saving Off
HDMI Black Level Normal


Xbox 360: HDMI 1080p
Xbox 360 Reference Level Expanded

Sharpness 0
Backlight 7
(everything else same as for BD-UP5000)



-----
Updated: Using kjgarrison's latest settings for everything, but without his color reduction.

BKC 09-09-2007 06:36 PM

so do settings for component hook-up from the cable box differ from HDMI? Why? Is HDMI that much better than a component hook up for best PQ?

CadJoe 09-09-2007 08:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I got these LINKS from the user thread, and the JPG attachments I created. No PC, use the wiselink for the JPGs.

Dead Pixel Test - Need PC

TV Blink DVD Benchmark Test - Need DVD ISO Burner

Hope they help.

CadJoe

 

gray80v.zip 39.869140625k . file

 

white64v.zip 25.525390625k . file

 

gray&white80v.zip 90.8642578125k . file

BKC 09-09-2007 08:50 PM

really appreciate the settings but is it just me or does this calibration setup make everything look kinda pale and green?



Quote:
Originally Posted by slumpey326 View Post

I am starting this thread please post settings/calibrations/comments.

Here is the only one I found so far posted by WPWoodJr from the Samsung 61/65 series. It appears people are using this on the 71 series as well, thanks:

I tried these from the 65 thread and they worked pretty well on 5th element...


Calibration stats: These are calibrated settings for HDMI inputs only. I used HCFR with a DTP-94 colorimeter to do the calibration.

For Backlight 8 and Contrast 100 over HDMI, average Gamma is 2.21; color temperature is 6500 +214 / -143 except at IRE 10 where it climbs to 7288; Delta E is mostly under 3; minimum black is 0.29 and maximum white is 375.84; contrast ratio (with Dynamic Contrast Off) is 1296:1. Look at the first attached JPG to see graphs of the calibration from HCFR at Backlight 8 and Contrast 100.

For Backlight 4 and Contrast 85 over HDMI, average Gamma is 2.16; color temperature is 6500 +318 / -189 except at IRE 10 where it climbs to 8005; Delta E is under 3 at 30 IRE and above; minimum black is 0.20 and maximum white is 176.69; contrast ratio (with Dynamic Contrast Off) is 883:1. Look at the second attached JPG to see graphs of the calibration from HCFR at Backlight 4 and Contrast 85.

Cable box / DVD setting: Set your cable box or DVD player to put out RGB over HDMI if possible. If the box is not putting out RGB, you will know because the TV setting for HDMI Black Level will be grayed out. The settings should still work ok but use RGB if possible, it seems to work better with the Dynamic Contrast "Low" setting. Do not set your cable box or DVD player to put out a "Full" or "Enhanced" RGB range (as this will lead to blacks being too dark), unless you also set the TV's HDMI Black Level to "Normal" instead of "Low".

PS3 Setting: When using a PS3 with these settings, set the BD/DVD settings to "RGB", not "Auto" or "YCbCr". Secondly, either 1) set the PS3 to RGB "Limited" and set the TV's HDMI Black Level to "Low" as specified below; or 2) set the PS3 to RGB "Full" and set the TV's HDMI Black Level to "Normal". If you don't use one of these two settings the shadows will be screwed up.

XBox 360 Setting: When using a 360 with these settings, either 1) set the 360 to "Standard" and set the TV's HDMI Black Level to "Low" as specified below; or 2) set the Xbox to "Expanded" and set the TV's HDMI Black Level to "Normal". If you don't use one of these two settings the shadows will be screwed up.

Notes: This calibration produces excellent black detail without sacrificing dark blacks. I like a little pop so I have set "Dynamic Contrast" to "Low" after calibration.

The settings:
Picture
Mode Movie
Contrast 85-100 (85 if you have a dark room and/or like subdued settings, 100 if you like a lot of "pop" or the room is well-lit)
Brightness 44
Sharpness 20
Color 50
Tint 50
Backlight 1-8 (4 if you have a dark room and/or like subdued settings, 8 if you like a lot of "pop" or the room is well-lit)

Color Tone Warm1
Digital NR Auto

Detailed Settings
Black Adjust Off
Dynamic Contrast Low
Gamma -1
Color Space Auto
Edge Enhancement On
xvYCC Off

White Balance
R-Offset 21
G-Offset 20
B-Offset 21
R-Gain 0
G-Gain 21
B-Gain 26

My Color Control
Pink 20
Green 15
Blue 15
White 15

Setup
Energy Saving Off
HDMI Black Level Low (will be grayed out if the input is Component or if your HDMI video source is putting out a YCbCr signal instead of RGB - OK but RGB better as noted above)

Tv's should be the same just the 24hz and higher contrast to give a deeper black.


Dont know about these two:
Auto Motion Plus 120hz: ?
Film Mode: ?


stulaloyd 09-10-2007 05:53 PM

First off, my setup:

Samsung LN-T4071F, Comcast Motorola DCT-3412 via HDMI through Denon AVR-3808ci with scaling turned on (1080i to 1080p).

The following is an amalagam of different Wood and Norse settings from the xx61/65/66 calibration thread as I actually owned a 4066 for just under two months but BB let me upgrade to the 4071.

What I did was start with these settings:

Picture
Standard
Contrast 90
Brightness 44
Sharpness 44
Color 60
Tint no change
Backlight 4

Color Tone Normal
Digital NR *** Off ***

Detailed Settings
Black Adjust Off
Dynamic Contrast Low
Gamma -1
Color Space Auto
Edge Enhancement On
xvYCC Off

White Balance
R-Offset 17
G-Offset 15
B-Offset 11
R-Gain 4
G-Gain 14
B-Gain 30

My Color Control
Pink 15
Green 15
Blue 15
White 15

Setup
Energy Saving Off
HDMI Black Level Low

Auto Motion Plus 120hz: Off



To me, this is a nice picture with rich colors. Problem is, when watching football, I've been having issues as many others have.

So what I did was switch Game Mode to On and then change all options that were not grayed out to match the above settings. What happened was that it's possible (no way to be sure) that some of the greyed out options kept from the original Standard Picture calibrations I had input b/c with Game Mode On (and all available options matching), the screen seemed to get brighter but the colors seemed to stay put. Plus the Game Mode On fixed any blur and the Sammy finally seems to be living up to it's promise.

Works for me in a moderately lit room.

*** Decided to try out DNR Off - Much better picture, less grain on SD especially ***

slumpey326 09-10-2007 06:12 PM

I have game mode on all the time and in standard mode, picture looks amazing now. I am telling you, for some reason game mode fixed the triple ball effect and also made my picture look so much better.

Drag'nGT 09-10-2007 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKC View Post

really appreciate the settings but is it just me or does this calibration setup make everything look kinda pale and green?

I agree that these settings lack the best color for the set. We should pic a bluray or hddvd movie that other owners can use to show what color their custom settings give to the TV. Use that agreed on sceen, pause it, take a pic and post it along with the settings you used in order for us to easily see which we may like better and not have to spend hours trying each person's new setting.

Do most of us have a copy of Planet Earth or 300? I would think we do.

BKC 09-10-2007 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stulaloyd View Post

First off, my setup:

Samsung LN-T4071F, Comcast Motorola DCT-3412 via HDMI through Denon AVR-3808ci with scaling turned on (1080i to 1080p).

The following is an amalagam of different Wood and Norse settings from the xx61/65/66 calibration thread as I actually owned a 4066 for just under two months but BB let me upgrade to the 4071.

What I did was start with these settings:

Picture
Standard
Contrast 90
Brightness 44
Sharpness 44
Color 60
Tint no change
Backlight 4

Color Tone Normal
Digital NR Auto

Detailed Settings
Black Adjust Off
Dynamic Contrast Low
Gamma -1
Color Space Auto
Edge Enhancement On
xvYCC Off

White Balance
R-Offset 17
G-Offset 15
B-Offset 11
R-Gain 4
G-Gain 14
B-Gain 30

My Color Control
Pink 15
Green 15
Blue 15
White 15

Setup
Energy Saving Off
HDMI Black Level Low

Auto Motion Plus 120hz: Off



To me, this is a nice picture with rich colors. Problem is, when watching football, I've been having issues as many others have.

So what I did was switch Game Mode to On and then change all options that were not grayed out to match the above settings. What happened was that it's possible (no way to be sure) that some of the greyed out options kept from the original Standard Picture calibrations I had input b/c with Game Mode On (and all available options matching), the screen seemed to get brighter but the colors seemed to stay put. Plus the Game Mode On fixed any blur and the Sammy finally seems to be living up to it's promise.

Works for me in a moderately lit room.

so you're assuming that once yo uchange the detailed settings with game mode off since detailed settings is grayed out with game mode on... the tv keeps the manual adjustments you've made withind etailed settings once u turn on the game mode?

i like your settings better than the first post settings. more vibrancy and pop which is better to my pq tastes. less greenish and washed out but maybe a little too reddish on the skin tones?

stulaloyd 09-11-2007 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKC View Post

so you're assuming that once yo uchange the detailed settings with game mode off since detailed settings is grayed out with game mode on... the tv keeps the manual adjustments you've made withind etailed settings once u turn on the game mode?

i like your settings better than the first post settings. more vibrancy and pop which is better to my pq tastes. less greenish and washed out but maybe a little too reddish on the skin tones?

It's possible. Obviously, there's no way to tell, but I did experience a better result than from going directly from my movie setting to game mode and changing the settings that were not grayed out. Yeah, there is a little red push, but I kinda like it and I don't think it's unnatural looking - just very rich imo.

skyehill 09-11-2007 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKC View Post

really appreciate the settings but is it just me or does this calibration setup make everything look kinda pale and green?

Yes. I set my TV to those, and have now completely reset and started over. Those settings are downright awful when applied to the 71. Bland, drab yuck.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.