New Toshiba 42z3500 arrives - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-06-2007, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hiya folks...just thought I'd offer myself up as guinea pig for questions. My new Toshiba z3500 is set to arrive tomorrow according to my package tracking notice. I live in Kyoto, Japan and I'm not sure when this set is heading to other regions of the world.

I'm not sure how many people know about this TV but it has all the bells and whistles such as 120Hz / 10-bit IPS panel with 3x HDMI (1080/60p and 24p) supporting x.v.Color / DeepColor, 2x Firewire and 3x Ethernet jacks for surfing the internet (browser built-in) or streaming DLNA and DTCP-IP media from Tosh's own VARDIA recorders, Qosmio PCs, and your local NAS server. For me the really neato feature is the ability to plug external USB hard disk into the included 2x USB jacks and you've got an instant DVR.

I'll post up my impressions as soon as I get it hooked up tomorrow and if anyone can think of any specific questions post them here and I'll do my best to answer them for you too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-06-2007, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is this a thin bezel model and if so please post some pics. Good luck with the set.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-06-2007, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I'd love to hear any and all of your observations on this set.

CD

Reality Based.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 12-06-2007, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

First up, a little info on what TV I'm coming from. The TV I have been using for the past 4 years or so was a Hitachi PDH-3000 which is a 1024x1024 AliS Plasma Display. I believe it was released overseas as the Hitachi Woo 3000 series.

It was a good TV and up until I had seen the Sony X5000 (XBR4-5 in the other parts of the world) in action, with its, 120hz and 5:5 pulldown TV's I hadn't real thought of upgrading. After I saw that I started doing some checking and really getting myself caught up on the latest tech.

In Japan there is a website called kakaku.com which is price search engine mainly for electronics. There they had a ranking of TV's and the new Toshiba Z3500 was ranked as number 1 with 5/5 stars in every category for a rating. That got my attention enough to look into it.

I was really surprised to see the Toshiba had the ability to record to a USB hard drive and to record across a LAN to a hard drive on a computer. I went to my local shop big shop (Bic Camera Kyoto) and saw it on display. My judgment at the time was that the Toshiba rivaled the XBR4 for image quality. It looked REALLY good. Of course considering the garish overhead lights and the fact you're probably dealing with factory default settings a super crowded showroom is no way to make a really accurate judgment. In the end though I thought the functionality of the USB recording, my impressions of the image quality, plus all the outstanding reviews at kakaku and I had enough info to go ahead and order it.

I'm not sure what time the delivery guy is going to be knocking on our door but it shouldn't be too much longer. Hands on impressions to follow... stay tuned.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-09-2007, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Very nice specs, I have just recently purchased a DLNA certified NAS and am very interested exaclty how I can use it, can the TV directly record to my NAS or only to USB attached devices? Even so, I can still buy a network capable USB 2.0 drive enclosure and then backup to my NAS. This is exactly what I have been looking for, and I have been looking around at the SONY, SHARP, Pioneer as they have DLNA capabilities also but this one just has so many BUILT in features, will be good the living room and the bedroom. I just can't wait until the new line of projectors also support DLNA, then I can replace the theater room projector to, no more 3rd party boxes needed!!! I just hope that they can explain DLNA to the average consumer so that it is a standard that is around for a long long time! Look forward to your review, also does anyone else know when these will be available in north america? I am looking on Toshiba's site and all I can find 42lx177 being the highest model of Regza availalbe.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-13-2007, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter

Woohoo! The new TV is now here! Sorry it took my so long to get up some impressions but the week at work turned really hectic and I didn't have time to write much until now. The unboxing and setup were uneventful affairs and I did everything myself. I'm going to mainly write about my impressions of the picture quality rather than detail all the functionality of the TV. (I have a Japanese TV with Japanese menus and a Japanese manual and while I can read and speak some Japanese...I'm not up to the task of translating a TV manual without a little help)

I have a PS3 hooked up via HDMI with all the special things turned on like 24hz Blu-Ray support, full YbBc... colors, super whites, etc.

Picture Quality Impressions

The first thing I thought about the color was just how garish the factory default settings were for my living room. Everything seemed too bright and perhaps the colors were over saturated. I literally had to away from the screen when the scene switched to an all white loading screen for a game. We're talking really really bright. The TV room is quite small and the viewing distance from the screen to the sofa is inside 10 feet.

Initially I thought the colors were over saturated but what I now think is that the colors are actually very very good...the biggest impact on the image seems to be in finding the proper amount of backlight vs how much brightness you want to use. The default settings had it at maximum backlight and maximum brightness and it was ridiculously bright.

Also my guess is that these newer TV's have such a range of ability that you can make them look REALLY bad if you try and my opinion is that factory defaults were REALLY bad for my room. More than likely they were showroom defaults. I tried the 1080p trailer for Reign Over Me and I noticed that much of the detail in the blacks were lost such as some of the individual strands of Adam Sandler's hair. The same held true for just about everything I tested on the PS3. Loss of detail on the blacks with the default settings.

I dug around in the menus and I found some useful configs such as 'TV Pro' and 'Movie Pro' and 'Game Mode' etc. I found the 'Movie' pro settings the best and the most obvious thing that changed was switching the backlight down from 100 to 25 and the brightness to 0 from maximum. This resulted in much more natural colors that to me more closely resembled my old plasma TV. Now I could clearly see the detail of Adam Sandler's hair. I could also clearly see details on his jacket in the night scene when they were outside talking. I've tried other trailers but I recommend that one as a tester for people just because there seem to be a few difficult areas for a TV to handle.

Also for those of you who are interested there is a 5:5 pulldown support in the menu and movies are totally judder free from what I can tell. The picture quality with Kingdom of Heaven and Letters from Iwo Jima with 24hz support on the PS3 was really incredible. To be honest though I don't think the overall quality of high definition video has improved THAT much. Those movies on my old TV hooked up via component on the PS3 looked quite good.

I did notice a BIG step up in quality of regular DVD's because when the PS3 is hooked up with HDMI it will upscale regular DVD's. There is a very noticeable improvement of every DVD I own. Everything looks a lot better. If you have a big DVD collection I think you'll be very pleased with the results.

What I'm really coming to understand about this TV is just how much control you can have over the picture and the vastly differing results you can get. With my old plasma I could make changes but the changes in the picture were fairly subtle. However with the z3500 changes are very noticeable. I now have one setup configured for SD sources, one for watching Blu-Ray movies and another for gaming and they all look good for the source they are playing back.

Those are my initial impressions of picture quality and I'm happy to answer any questions that people may have. There are so many other things I could write about including details
post #7 of 13 Old 12-13-2007, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 44
5:5 pulldown...nice!

Reality Based.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-20-2007, 08:28 PM

Thanks for the great review.
Do you know if this is the same as the 42LX177 in the US?

I'm in Japan myself (Kamakura) and will be buying a set for my room very soon. This looks to be an excellent unit.
I left my Panny TH42 in the states and it's time to get something here.

Did you end up buying at Bic Camera? I'm currently looking at Amazon.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-20-2007, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not 100% sure if this is the same as the LX177 in the US but I don't think it is. The reason I say that is because the Z3500 was released in Japan in Sept this year and the LX177 came out in the US in March. I think this is a different unit.

I ended up ordering my online from a shop in Kyoto that was I think number 3 on the kakaku.com list for best prices in Japan. I saved a bit because Amazon.com was about 2500yen more expensive and had a 2500yen delivery fee. The shop is actually about 15 minutes from my house by car so the delivery came the day after I ordered it which was nice.

Just to let you know all the menus as well as the manual are in Japanese. I cannot find an English version of it online anywhere. The Lx177 manual is not a big help because that doesn't explain the USB recording or LAN recording capabilities.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-20-2007, 09:27 PM

Ah, I didn't know the release dates.
While I wait for my Japanese to get up to speed, I can always ask for help from my wife. I know a fair bit, but technical Kanji are beyond me for the moment.

Thanks again for the great review. I think you have swung my vote to the Regza as opposed to the Sharps I was looking at.
post #11 of 13 Old 12-20-2007, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

My wife is Japanese too and she can speak English very well but even for her the manual is hard to follow because she's not up with all the TV and computer terms such as LAN, HDD, USB, etc, etc.

I'm looking forward to having another owner to talk about settings and stuff. Haha.

I'll send you a PM and you can add me to Yahoo or MSN messenger and we can chat further that way if you like.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-05-2009, 10:50 AM

I just purchased a z3500 today and that was not even what i came to the store for.
I was just looking for a medium range tosh to buy (RV500), since i'm a big fan of Toshiba LCDs (i own a WL66E, beautiful picture and sound), but i meant to upgrade to the Full-HD one.

As a comparison, I was also eyeing the Sharp Aquos A83M. I brought my own DVDs and Blu-ray movies to the store to try on the LCDs.

To all Sharp lovers, i'm sorry to say that the A83M full-hd 100hz Lcd has very poor video scaling and even lots of 'noise' on the picture even when playing blu ray on 1080p.
So i took off from the booth and went straight to Toshiba's.

Tried the RV500. Very black blacks. a bit too contrast-y for my liking but the picture quality was superior compared to the previous brand. The z3500 was sitting next to it, and out of curiosity, i asked the salesperson to try on my dvd with the z3500.

I got the wind knocked out of me. I knew it's the best thing Toshiba has out there but i didn't quite expect to see such beautiful image as i did on the z3500. The movie was Golden Compass anyway and all the mild grainy shadows i saw on the RV500 were non-existent in the z3500. The skin tones of the actors were very natural and defined. Ghosting was absent too from this set, thanks to its 100hz or whatever the metabrain pro 100 technology was doing to it.

All in all, i was so blown away by what i saw i ended up paying twice of what i intended to spend on an LCD. But i am happy that I did. I'm proud of this set. and thanks to Allankyoto for your reviews on your z3500.Like me, i'm sure you will have many happy moments with it. I hope i can ask you a few questions on the USB thing, since i'm curious of what it can do. I'm a bit challenged in the technology department but i'm an avid film-lover, that's why i decided to purchase this set because i saw with my own eyes how superior the image quality is compared to any other brands i've seen. but i'm willing to learn more about the dual window tuner and the USB.
One question: what about the SRS WOW? does it deliver or mediocre?

Thanks again and i'll definitely try your approach on adjusting the brightness and factory settings once my set arrives!

Cheers!
post #13 of 13 Old 09-16-2016, 01:20 AM

Liked: 0
Could someone please help me with my TV setup? I am having trouble switching audio.
I have just been given a Regza 42z3500 and have gone through the basic setup but for some reason I cannot switch the audio from Japanese to English on the channels which I know provide dual audio (e.g. Dlife).
I have a Sharp TV and have used it to confirm that I am receiving the dual audio signal but with the z3500, it states a message in Japanese which I don't fully understand (My understanding of Japanese kanji is very, very small).

Is there a setting in the menus to select betwen audio signals??? do I need to enable something???

Could someone please help with this, I would very much appriciate your assistance.
Thank you so much.
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page