post #1 of 63 Old 12-07-2007, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
LNTxx71 FAQ
Last edit: November 11, 2010

The first post will be updated as needed. PM me with error, omissions, updates.
To keep this to the point, any additional details will be placed in the 2nd post in this thread
A modified xx69F FAQ has been created based on this on.

Official product pages: LNT-xx71 Quick Guide
LNT-xx71 User Manual download (~50MB): PDF DjVu
RTFM, seriously, your question could be answered there. I'm not re-writing the manual in the FAQ
LNT-xx71 Service Manual download (Thanks prestiege!): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VJU1NB80

1 How do I ...

1.1 ... get out of shop mode
1.2 ... add my info to the datasheet
1.3 ... get into the service menu
1.4 ... unbrick my TV
1.5 ... piss off the owners thread

1.6 ... complain to Samsung about my problems
1.7 ... clean the LCD screen
1.8 ... fix minor scratches on the bezel
1.9 ... look like a noob
2 Firmware

2.1 How to check firmware on my TV
2.2 How to check firmware from the box at the store
2.3 How to update firmware
2.4 What is the latest firmware
2.5 What firmware versions are available for public download
2.6 Is fw20xx better than fw10xx sets
2.7 Why can't I go from fw10xx to fw2004
2.8 Can I downgrade my firmware
2.9 Did Samsung send me the wrong firmware

3 General

3.1 Is the set still 120Hz with AMP off
3.2 Do I need 120Hz HDMI cables
3.3 When will my set work properly
3.4 What is the difference between 71/71F/71FX sets
3.5 When I press Info the frequency says so my TV isn't running at 120Hz
3.6 Power consumption of a 5271
3.7 What is the difference between the 69F vs the 71F models
3.8 Pictures of the innards!
3.9 Dimensions, TV and box
3.10 Does the set do 5:5 pulldown
3.11 How does the xx71 compare to the xx81 or xbr4

4 Help ...

4.1 ... there is a small line on the top (or side) of my screen
4.2 ... some faces are blurring when people move
4.3 ... my settings aren't remember when I power down
4.4 ... my remote only works sometimes
4.5 ... my remote doesn't work for 10 mins after turning on my TV
4.6 ... I'm missing some QAM channels when I do a scan
4.7 ... I see a vapour effect around moving object
4.8 ... my screen is split down the middle with one side darker than the other

5 Issues

5.1 TBE

5.1.1 What is it
5.1.2 Does my set have it
5.1.3 How to test
5.1.4 Can I fix it
5.1.5 What should I do about it

5.2 Stutter

5.2.1 What is it
5.2.2 Does my set have it
5.2.3 How to test
5.2.4 Can I fix it
5.2.5 What should I do about it

5.3 Mini-blinds

5.3.1 What is it
5.3.2 Does my set have it
5.3.3 How to test
5.3.4 Can I fix it
5.3.5 What should I do about it

5.4 Growing Line of Dead Pixel

5.5 Screen Flicker

5.6 Multiple clicking at startup

5.6.1 What is it
5.6.2 Can I fix it

6 Where can I find...

6.1 ...

the owners thread
6.2 ... the calibration thread
6.3 ... the TXE thread
6.4 ... the TBE/stutter poll
6.5 ... the TBE/stutter datasheet
6.6 ... xx71 vs xx81 owner comparison
6.7 ... xx71 vs xbr4 owner comparison
6.8 ... the Virtical Line problem thread
6.9 ... The LNTxx71 owners Firmware list
6.10 ... Official Samsung 71 exchange thread
7 Glossary

1 How do I ...
1.1 ... get out of shop mode

Shop mode is designed for display models in retail environments. This mode causes the TV to revert back to some predefined calibration setting after a set amount of time. the xx71f defaults to Dynamic mode when in shop.
You can test if you are in shop mode by setting your TV to Movie mode, power off, power on. If you find yourself in Dynamic mode, shop mode is enabled. Follow direction below:

1.Select TV input (one of the antennas)
2.Press the MENU button on your remote
3.select SETUP and press ENTER
4.select PLUG & PLAY and press ENTER
5.select HOME option and press ENTER
6.Exit out after selecting home to prevent from rescanning channels

OR

From the manual:

If the unit is accidentally set to Shop mode and you want to return to Dynamic
(Home) mode, press any Volume button and then hold down the MENU button
for five seconds on the side panel of the TV.
1.2 ... add my info to the datasheet

PM

petrovy with the info requested in the datasheet using your best source.
This data track improvements in the firmware and potentially helps people with issue find a solution. 1.3 ... get into the service menu
WARNING: You can seriously harm your set by monkeying in the service menu. If you are not authourized to be there and touch the wrong thing, the only way to get your set back to normal will be an expensive service call. Your 1 year warranty will not cover you from being bad in here. Professional calibrators are authourized to access settings in the service menu.
LOOK BUT DON'T TOUCH!
An excellent post by Einride about the service menu, read in it's entirety before entering:
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post12418883

With the TV off type the following sequence on your remote:

mute-1-8-2-power

with the TV on quickly type the following sequence on your remote:

power-mute-1-8-2-power

When done looking push the power button to exit.

NOTE: It may be possible to recover from pushing the wrong button in the service menu. If you have pressed on the Calibration option and find your colours are all wacky now feeding the calibration a test pattern could save your skin. See this post for someone who had luck fixing a newb mistake.
prestiege had luck recovering from a SM mistake by updating the firmware. It seems that updating the firmware resets the SM values to a 'factory calibration' type setting. As a last resort it might be worth upgrading. If you have already upgraded, it may be possible to hack the firmware file to force a reload of the latest firmware similar to how the '1013 on 20xx' and '2004 on 10xx' firmware hacks work, see 1.4. (it may be even easier, you might be able to reload the firmware directly, I never tried)
1.4 ... unbrick my TV
WARNING: this is not how you should update your firmware! Use these directions only if you did something like this with your firmware to begin with. To update your firmware, contact Samsung directly.

Some people tried to fool their TV into thinking it was a PEONYM so they could install the fw2004. There is some unknown change to the hardware that caused their sets to become useless if you force the wrong firmware. The following steps are design to once again trick this sets into 'upgrading' to the fw1013 version.
It is possible to brick a TV in the reverse direction, a fw20xx set upgraded to fw1013. If this is what you have done, follow the reverse directions to get fw2004 installed.

Its important to know that your TV now thinks it is the PEONYM (not the PEONY) so you have to trick it to look at the peonyM folder instead of the peony folder to try and fix the issue
2) DL the f/w again so you get a clean copy
3) change the name of the PEONYM folder to PEONYMBACKUP (or anything)
4) change the name of the PEONY folder to PEONYM
5) put the thumb drive in the TV.. since you cant see the TV menu follow these instructions
-. Press Menu Button
-. Press "Up" arrow key 2 Times (Move to Set Up)
-. Press "Enter" (Select Set Up Function)
-. Press "Up" arrow key 1 Time (Move to SW Upgrade)
-. Press "Enter" (Select SW Upgrade)
-. Press "Enter" (Select USB)
==> Then automatically search new firmware (Wait around 20 sec while CPU ident FW)
-. Press "Enter" 3~5 Times for confirmation (Select & Upgrade New firmware)
-. Then wait it's upgrading until TV power off/On again automatically.

provided by kathy 1.5 ... piss off the owners thread

Two excellent ways:

1. Ask a question covered in this faq or the first post of the owners thread
  2. Ask a question that can easily be answer by READING THE MANUAL

Seriously though, if you make an honest effort to find your answer here but don't see it, post away. If it turns out the answer is easily found in here, you better make your peace with God.

1.6 ... complain to Samsung about my problems
thank you youknowryan for these steps

1800samsung
options 5, 1, 1
tell level 1 you have a tbe AND stutter issue and want to speak with level 2
tell level 2 you want to speak with level 2 in NJ (soon to be titled level 3 which they are). when you get to level 3, ask to be sure that it is the right people. tell your story and how badly you want a fix.

it's a pain, but this gets you to the people that speak directly with the software programmers.

Online Chat (thanks zinkie for finding/providing the details):
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/do...Type=D&vType=R
The chat-line it seems is not open till around 12:00pm (noon Chicago time - CST) till around 7:00pm I think (M-F). (1pm to 8pm EST)

Once it is available, you will see a chat-line icon underneath the LCD TV set.
Click on this and it will bring up another window with the chat conversation.

zinkie has discovered (post)that it is possible to request a transfer to a head office tech support, Mike V, in Mount Arlington, NJ

1.7 ... clean the LCD screen

Provided in the Samsung screen cleaning FAQ:

What Do You Recommend To Clean An LCD TV?
Additional info

To clean your LCD TV, gently wipe the surface with a clean, dry, lint-free cloth. You should never use alcohol, cleaning fluids, wax, or chemicals. Also, do not use water unless otherwise directed.

Note: Many Samsung TVs come with a screen cleaning cloth. Use that cloth and follow the directions on the package.

If a clean, dry cloth, or the cloth that comes with your TV does not work, click HERE for additional instructions.

additional instructions

To clean fingerprints and greasy smudges off your TV screen, first try using a dry, anti-static cloth and rubbing gently.

Note: Many Samsung TVs come with a screen cleaning cloth. Use that cloth and follow the directions on the package.

If that does not work, get a bottle of ScreenClean screen cleaning solution or similar screen cleaner. You should be able to get it at most regular and on-line stores that sell monitors or TVs. Put a small amount of ScreenClean on a clean, soft, dry cloth, and then rub the screen gently.

WARNING: Never use any type of window cleaner, soap, scouring powder, or any cleanser with solvents such as alcohol, benzene, ammonia, or paint thinner. Never use abrasive pads or paper towels. If you do, you can scratch the screen or strip the anti-glare coating off the screen and cause permanent damage.

Cleaning It Right

There are four steps you must take to do the job right:
  • Unplug your TV before you begin to eliminate the risk of electric shock.
  • If you use ScreenClean or a similar screen cleaner, put or spray the ScreenClean onto the cloth. Never put or spray it directly onto your TV screen.
  • Wipe as gently as possible. LCD, Plasma, and DLP screens in particular are fragile and can be damaged if you press too hard.
  • Let the screen dry completely before you plug the TV back in.

OreoJoe says:
... I use 5% pure white vinegar from a gallon jug. I don't have information about damage to an LCD from vinegar, but I have read about damage to LCD anti-glare coatings from Monster screen cleaner, which contains alcohol.

For frequent cleaning, a damp screen-safe cloth is best. I use vinegar for tough jobs.
1.8 ... fix minor scratches on the bezel

I believe this info originally comes from OreoJoe but am too lazy to look it up. Use at your own risk:

Quote:

I removed from two LCD screens, streak marks caused by rubbing with a paper towel. Used a small microfiber cloth from an auto parts store and Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Professional #10 Clear Plastic Polish.
Restores Optic Clarity To:
Boat Windows, Convertible Windows, Helmet Visors
Aircraft Windshields, Eyeglasses, Instrument Panels, Computer Screens
Then I used a clean microfiber cloth with some 5% white vinegar (ascetic acid).

The screens are restored to new condition.

You may have to first use Meguiar's Plastic Cleaner #17 if the scratches are deeper. Read the directions on the package.
---End Quote---

---Quote (Originally by insimbi)---
OreoJoe,
Do you think this would work well on the xx71 bezel? I'd like to remove some small scratches - just hairline ones.
---End Quote---
Yes. For hairline scratches, use the #17 and follow up with #10. I did the same to remove scratches from my plastic instrument panel in the car.

1.9 ... look like a noob

Ingore 1.5, post a lame question in the owners thread then get defensive for being referred to the FAQ or manual.

2 Firmware

1. Turn on your TV.
2. Press the

MENU button on your remote.
3. Select SETUP, and then press ENTER.
4. Select Function Help, and then press ENTER.
5. Use the Up or Down arrow button on your remote to move down to Function Help to ON,
6. With Function Help ON highlighted (don't actually push ENTER on it), press the INFO button on the remote.

Your firmware revision will be listed as two lines of information at the bottom of the screen. The TOP line is your software firmware. The BOTTOM line is the hardware revision number. If you don't see this but do see input frequency information you probably did step 6 incorrectly. You must press INFO while the Function Help ON/OFF option is still on-screen and ON is highlighted.

In one case a user found that he could not get the firmware version to show if he used the ENTER key to pop-up the ON/OFF options. He had to use RIGHT ARROW on Function Help then INFO on ON.

2.2 How to check firmware from the box at the store

NOTE: There have been many reports in the owners thread of a PB and PC boxes coming with 1013.1 firmware
Examples: A PC: see post
Another with PB with 1013.1: post

There is no known guaranteed way to determine the installed firmware on a TV without following the directions above. However, it does appear that from some time in October the 20xx firmware variant was released. There is a method to determine the build date of the set from the serial number. A serial number will look something like this:

AK2V3CFPBxxxxx

The 'PB' is the key. The first character, P in this example, refers to the year and the number or letter that follows is the build month
Year key:

P - 2007
Q - 2008

Month Key:

1 – January
2 – February
3 – March
4 – April
5 – May
6 – June
7 – July
8 – August
9 – September
A – October
B – November
C – December

Using this knowledge, a serial # with PA was built in October. It is known that October saw the switch from fw10xx to fw20xx variants therefore a PA serial could yield you a fw20xx variant or a fw10xx variant. A PB or PC serial can also yield a fw20xx variants.
Firmware release dates can help you determine which firmware a certain serial number might indicates, taken from the datasheet:
firmware Date
1003 07/20/07
1005 08/03/07
1007 08/09/07
1009 08/22/07 one reported date of: 09/09/2007
1010 09/12/07
1013 10/26/07
1013 10/31/07 upgrade date
2000.1 09/20/07
2002 10/11/07
2003.2 10/19/2007
2004 11/14/07 upgrade date Again, a PB or PC serial number does not guarantee a 2002 model as has been reported in the owners thread. It sounds like it still will be a crap shoot. You are guaranteed not to get a 2002 set with a serial before PA though.

Warning: Updating your firmware appears to reset values in the service menu. If you paid to have your set professionaly calibrated, updating the firmware will undo the good that was done.

From Samsung, firmware update:
URL : http://www.samsung.com/us/support/do...p_nm=LN-T4671F

Samsung directions: http://support-us.samsung.com/firmwa...rade_Guide.pdf

This file contains BOTH 1013 and 2004. Unzip as is, the TV will know which one to install.
2.4 What is the latest firmware

There are two:

1013 and 2004
Sets prior to some time in October use the fw10xx variety while sets after some time in October use the fw20xx variety. The difference is due to an allege FRC board manufacturer change. All fw10xx sets upgrade to fw1013 while all fw20xx sets upgrade to fw2004.

Forcing a fw10xx to fw2004 or fw20xx to fw1013 will brick your set. Do not attempt!

The firmware file download is named [email protected]@71FX(ver 1013).exe. This file contains BOTH 1013 and 2004. Unzip as is, the TV will know which one to install.
2.5 What firmware versions are available for public download

1013/2004 can be downloaded from the Samsung website, see 2.3
The only firmware currently available for owners to flash their sets is the 1013/2004 firmware.

2.6 Is fw20xx better than fw10xx sets

It's hard to say from the data collected so far. Both sets exhibit the same problems, TBE and stutter. The fw20xx sets appear to have fewer stutter problems and the fw2004 update appears to have reduced the frequency of TBE.

The update still does not completely address these two issues. Problems still exist with fw2004.

youknowryan did a side by side comparison of a 10xx and 20xx set in his house, original post:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post13067031
2.7 Why can't I go from fw10xx to fw2004

There was a 'manufacturer' change for the FRC board between fw10xx and fw20xx. The new FRC board is not compatible with fw10xx. If you trick your TV into using the wrong firmware it will become inoperable.

petrovy bought a xx71 service manual and found that there is a hardware change on the FRC board between fw10xx and fw20xx sets. See

his post on xx71 owners thread for more details
2.8 Can I downgrade my firmware

I have read one instance in the xx71f owners thread of someone going from fw2002 to fw2004 then getting Samsung to downgrade back to fw2002.
The difficulty with downgrading is that there are no releases for older firmwares. In this case where the owner downgraded a tech had to physically swap the board in the set with one that was loaded with fw2002. Samsung has been reluctant to do any board swaps recently and this appears to have been an unusual case.

2.9 Did Samsung send me the wrong firmware

No.
The firmware file download is named

[email protected]@71FX(ver 1013).exe. This file contains BOTH 1013 and 2004. Unzip as is, the TV will know which one to install.
3 General
3.1 Is the set still 120Hz with AMP off

All signs point to

yes.
With earlier versions of the firmware AMP off still seemed to run AMP at a lower setting, evident by the TBE still being present in AMP off. With the newer firmwares it appears that AMP is truly off when selecting AMP off and the set is simply repeating frames to fill the 120Hz refresh.
3.2 Do I need 120Hz HDMI cables

NO. The TV accepts 1080p60 as a max. It does not accept any 120Hz source EVER. The set interpolates frames to arrive at a 120Hz refresh.

3.3 When will my set work properly

According to one CSR in 2009 when broadcast TV switches to all digital the set will magically work on all sources.

3.4 What is the difference between the 71/71F/71FX sets

None. They are all the same

3.5 When I press Info the frequency says so my TV isn't running at 120Hz

It is running 120Hz.
The info button is telling you the details of the source signal. The TV itself does frame interpolation or duplicating to arrive at 120fps.

Note: Two cases where the set may be running at 60Hz, Game Mode

ON, HDMI-1 named as PC
3.6 Power consumption of a 5271
Bitgod was good enough to collect loads of data on a 4071. See the thread for more details

ggtronic collected this data for his 5271:
If I understand correctly, data collected from a UPS data info page to display power usage with different backlite level
power cumsumption-5271: (more power also generate more heat in the enclosure... )

backlite at 1 (power save has no effect)= 85watts
backlite at 4 power save at low(ok for me)= 120watts
backlite at 5 power save at low =150watts
backlite at 5 power save OFF =190watts
backlite at 10 power save OFF =300watts!

3.7 What is the difference between the 69F vs the 71F models?

Different specs listed below

xx71F
  • 71F has glossy screen
  • 71F = 25000:1 contrast ratio
  • 40" 46" and 52" screens available
  • Speakers on left and right end of screen

xx69F
  • 69F has matted screen
  • 69F = 20000:1 contrast ratio
  • 40" and 46" screens available, no 52"
  • Speakers along bottom of the screen
The contrast ratio difference is due to the matted screen. Everything else is basically the same
3.8 Pictures of the innards!

Volox had a service tech come by his place do to a board swap. He managed to snag a few pics of the inside. There are two posts, one after the other.:

4071 (from Samsung online spec):
  • Set size(WXHXD) with stand 43.7" x 26.6" x 11.4"
  • Set size(WXHXD) without stand 43.7" x 23.9" x 4.0"
  • Package size(WXHXD) 47.6" x 31.3" x 14.6"

4671 (from Samsung online spec):
  • Set size(WXHXD) with stand 48.1" x 29.6" x 12.6"
  • Set size(WXHXD) without stand 48.1" x 27.0" x 4.4"
  • Package size(WXHXD) 53.0'' x 34.5'' x 16.7''

5271 (from Samsung online spec):
  • Set size(WXHXD) with stand 53.8" x 33.3" x 12.6"
  • Set size(WXHXD) without stand 53.8" x 30.7" x 4.7"
  • Package size(WXHXD) 59.9" x 38.1" x 17.0"
3.10 Does the set do 5:5 pulldown

Samsung says

yes.

Prior to fw1013 AMP was not fully disengaged even in AMP-off mode. For these firmwares the set will never do proper 5:5 pulldown. Interpolated frames are always added to the mix.

Assuming a firmware that fully turns of AMP (which may also be under debate):

With AMP off, Samsung says

yes. Cnet says the xx71f looks choppier than the xbr4 both with motion smoothing disabled. (cnet review) That could mean the xx71f doesn't do 5:5 correctly or the xbr4 doesn't turn off motion smoothing entirely.

TiVoHD has done some testing (original post) on the same souce set to 1080i60, 1080p60 and 1080p24. Observations:
  • 1080i60 = 1080p60 in terms of judder
  • 1080p24 is more smooth than 1080i/p60
This could mean the set does not do inverse telecine correctly or adds more smoothing to 24p sources to give the illusion 24p sources are that much better...
3.11 How does the xx71 compare to the xx81 or xbr4

sharpjunkie did a side by side comparison of the 71 vs 81 and 71 vs xbr4. He bought both sets and compared in his living room. See sections 6.6 and 6.7 for links to those threads

4 Help ...
4.1 ... there is a small line on the top (or side) of my screen

Your set is not defective, this is closed caption data. Set you P.size to 16:9 so you will not see it if it bothers you.
TVs usually overscan (read: zoom) the frame which cuts out these lines. Setting your TV to 'Just Scan' displays everything in the signal, including closed caption data.

4.2 ... some faces are blurring when people move

This may be due to the Digital Noise Reduction setting. Try setting DNR to off. Also, try enabling AMP-low if previously off.

4.3 ... my settings aren't remember when I power down

You are in shop mode. See 1.1 to get out of shop mode.

4.4 ... my remote only works sometimes

The sensor on the TV is located on the lower right of the set. Try aiming your remote at the lower right of the TV

One user (sorry, I forgot who and am lazy to search) found that pressing the buttons extra hard allowed the remote to work while pointing almost anywhere. After a 'break in' period, the remote no longer needed the extra hard pushes.

4.5 ... my remote doesn't work for 10 mins after turning on my TV

LCDs tend to emit some IR noise while warming up which can interfere with the operation of IR remotes for some devices. It appears the xx71 series is particularly bad for this. A general workaround for this problem is to cover the affected components IR receiver port with multiple layers of masking tape. This should shield the port from the noise generated by the TV but still pass the remotes signals.

4.6 ... I'm missing some QAM channels when I do a scan

Major credit goes to

CLau for finding the problem and providing a work around (original post):
  1. Identify the missing channels
  2. Find the real (physical) channel number for the missing channels
  3. Enter the physical channel number to force the TV to scan that frequency
  4. Check the virtual channel number for the missing channel

A good way to find the real channel numbers is to use this silicon dust page:
http://www.silicondust.com/wiki/hdhomerun/channels

Note that the real channel numbers are probably different than the virtual channel numbers your TV will tune to.
Also note that the silicon dust display will likely show network affiliate station identification letters instead of the well known network name, for me CBS = KPIX. A quick google search should who is who.
4.7 ... I see a vapour effect around moving object

Some people say this looks like a heat wave or sci-fi invisible shield effect.
This is an AMP artifact. Lowering the AMP setting should lessen the effect. Turning AMP off should remove this effect, assuming your firmware allows proper AMP-off.

This effect has been noted during the golden eagle chase scene in planet earth. Refer to the TBE section: 5.1.4 for specifics.

AMP interpolates motion based on consecutive frames. When a moving object obscures part of a frame, AMP has no 'next frame' information for interpolation. When a moving object reveals part of a frame, AMP has no 'previous frame' information for interpolation. This lack of information causes these areas of the frame to have an odd look.

4.8 ... my screen is split down the middle with one side darker than the other

Does it look like this (photo credit: pcoliver):

If so this appears to be a bug in the 71 series firmware. The DNIe demo mode seems to have been activated. DNIe demo mode is not an accessible feature in the 71 series TVs but may be a relic from previous models the 71 series was based on. Power cycling fixes the problem.

If this happens to you, you might want to get on the phone with Samsung and let them know. Although it doesn't seem to be damaging, it is annoying.

5 Issues

There are two major issues and both are tied to Auto Motion Plus; 5.1: TBE and 5.2:stutter. 5.3:mini blinds appears to be an issue separate from AMP.

News
Samsung has officially acknowledged the AMP issue on their site
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ne..._seq=192&page=

youknowryan reports on April 7, 2008 that:
Quote:

Spoke with Tier 3 today (Steve, I forgot to ask Mike his last name) and he reconfirmed that no new hardware update for the 71 is in the works and the firmware update they spoke of a month ago has also been cancelled. No further development on this set will take place to deal with ALL AMP issues.

sucks.

See youknowryan's posts here:
Dec 7, 2007
Dec 21, 2007
Jan 14, 2008
Feb 4, 2008
Mar 28, 2008
Apr 7, 2008
Still, keep the heat on them, follow steps outlined in 1.6.
5.1 Triple ball effect: TBE
5.1.1 What is it

This is a motion artifact caused by Auto Motion Plus. When a camera pans to track a fast moving object the smoothing algorithm sometimes gets confused when the object passes certain objects in the foreground or background. When this happens the object momentarily breaks into three parts; the main object and a shadow infront and behind of the main object.
This artifact was first observed in football games. When the QB throws a long bomb, the camera tracks the football. When the football passes a yard line it would sometimes break into three objects and hence was coined the triple ball effect, or TBE

An example of TBE (thanks to cmf for the video [

post]and OreoJoe for the stills and composite)

Same shot with Game mode on, no TBE

5.1.2 Does my set have it

To date, owners have reported TBE on all firmware versions. Sets loaded with newer firmware versions disable AMP when set to off. When AMP is off TBE will not occur. Older firmware versions do not completely disable AMP when off and show TBE when set to off.
firmware that disables AMP in off: 1013, 2002, 2004

5.1.3 I don't watch sports so I'm safe right

No. It's just called TBE but it is not limited to balls. TBE artifacts have been observed in video games, broadcast TV and movies.

5.1.4 How to test
With a PS3:

Download the Ninja Gaiden demo. Once the game starts just kill off the two ninjas that try to off you then when you have no more pesky enemies to bother you, spin your ninja in a circle and pay attention to the sword on his back as it turns into three swords as you spin. The swords have a varying degree of how noticeable they are according to what is in the back round behind the swords and how far off the background image is. Try it, it is fun and an easy way to determine if your set has the TBE (sharpjunkies description)

With planet earth:

Episode 1. The impala chase scene exhibits TBE artifacts

(description from CLau) chapter 5, shortly after the 40 minute mark. It starts with the dogs stalking the impalas and ends when the impala jumps into the lake. During the chase, pay attention to the heads of the impalas and the dogs. There are short instants where multiple heads are shown.

Episode 2. The golden eagle crane chase scene exhibits TBE artifacts

(description from CLau) at around the 47 minute mark, they show two eagles chasing a crane. In the 20 seconds or so after the 47 minute mark, you can clearly see the crane breaking up into 3 images several times.

With Galdiator DVD:

Chapter 12, The Greatness of Rome: There is a scene with Commodus in a chariot. The top of the chariot drivers helmet experiences TBE. When the driver passes behind a flag pole just before the scene change his head triples.

5.1.5 Can I fix it

There are two methods to eliminate TBE .

1.Turn on Game mode
2.If you have firmware 1013, 2002 or 2004, set AMP to OFF

TBE has been reported with fw2004 AMP-off but only in extreme cases.
reports from fw2004 owners indicate that TBE is improved at AMP-low and AMP-med settings but still present at AMP-high.
Communications with Samsung CSR indicate that firmware patches are not targetting AMP-high TBE fixes.

5.1.6 What should I do about it

Call Samsung and tell them your problem. This is the only way they will know about it and fix it. If you update your firmware and still have the problem, call back and let them know!

5.2 Stutter
5.2.1 What is it

This appears to be a drop in frame rate. It has been described as the video becoming choppy, as if you're playing a video game that suddenly slows in frame rate. The frame rate appears to slow down, then jump ahead to catch up. This effect is random. The same scene replayed may or may not experience stutter.

Stutter also appears to be heavily source dependent. The same channel can have some shows with heavy stutter and still have others with none.

borf (

post) says it looks like this:

5.2.2 Does my set have it

Nearly all fw10xx owners have reported stutter of some sort. Few fw20xx owners report stutter.

According to the datasheet, fw1003 has no reported stutter. In terms of stutter, things seem to be better for the earlier firmware and 20xx variety but still present

5.2.3 How to test

Get a 1080p/24 device (like a Blu-ray player or HD DVD player), set it to output at 1080p/24, hook it to the TV using HDMI, and then put in a movie and turn it on. If there is stutter you'll either see frames dropping or the movie wil have spots where it looks like it moving in slow motion. It's somewhat random and you might need to watch for a bit or skip chapters. On some TVS it's REALLY bad while on others you might just see a jerk every once in a while as a frame or two drops. If it passed this test, then set the player to 1080p/60. If it passes both tests you are very lucky.
(copied from youknowryan's post)

Bourne Identity:

youknowryan says this scene stutters often for him:
he scene where the fishingboat captain gives him some money until he gets on the train and is looking out of the window. HDMI, 1080p/24, AMP on Medium = Stutter
CLau says: Time mark is

9:55 when he looked at his own reflections in the train.

OR

the scene when the first killer comes after Bourne... say 2 minutes before all the way until he kills him
planet earth
(thanks borf)
  • Planet Earth Disk 1: Title 2: chapter 2: 00:12:50 (wolf-carabu chase)
  • Planet Earth Disk 1: Title 3: chapter 5: 00:47:11 (golden eagle chase)
kinghappy says:
I was watching SUNSHINE on BRD via PS3, it stuttered time stamp 01:34:54 and kept stuttering thru the last scene.
5.2.4 Can I fix it

Toggling AMP off/on clears up stutter for some.
Setting AMP off prevents stutter for some.

There is no known permanent solution to date.

There is a fix in the works expected in January

5.2.5 What should I do about it

Call Samsung and tell them your problem. This is the only way they will know about it and fix it. If you update your firmware and still have the problem, call back and let them know!

5.3 Mini blinds
5.3.1 What is it

This appears to be related to the Film Mode option.
Description by

cybolt:
Quote:

For those of you wondering what exactly we're been talking about, picture a group of 4-5 mini-blinds, about 3-4" high, running horizontally across almost the entire screen, less about 2-3" on each side. I get the mini-blind effect in two places at differing times and they appear only moderately similar. The ones I get most commonly occur about 1/3 down from the top. Its very fast--almost like a "flash-frame" (video uses 30 fps and this looks like a single frame, about 1/30 second)--and usually after a quick camera pan or directly following an edit. It's almost like the picture is getting a "tear." I also experience them, much less frequently, at the bottom of the screen. They stay "on" much longer, sometimes 2-3 seconds, seem to "flow" almost and appear virtually opaque--as though your seeing through them.

Geronimo.USMC provides the following descriptions:
Quote:

What we are talking about is a like:
  1. "the image looked as if it had been sliced in a bread slicer and put back together a little off"
  2. "I sometimes see clear, horizontal bars near the bottom third or quarter of the screen. After a few seconds, they waterfall downward and disappear. I cannot seem to get it to replicate consistently and have tried to get pictures, but they are gone by the time my camera is ready to shoot"
  3. "scanlines effect"
  4. "ripple effect"
I personally see this on all inputs, analog and digital. Only happens on moving objects, or objects that just come onto the screen, or bright objects such as white ,like the tv is trying to put the image together, but the videocard is too slow for the image! Sources are not the problem. Usually is fleeting (too fast to take a picture of) & usually happens in the middle &bottom of the screen

5.3.2 Does my set have it

Possibly. Mini-blinds appear to be related to having Film Mode-ON when not appropriate. Film Mode is used to detect 3:2 pulldown and reverse it. If Film Mode is engaged where 3:2 pulldown is not present, the processor appears to incorrectly inverse telecine at times which causes mini-blinds, or combing.

5.3.3 How to test

Again from

cybolt:
I notice it only in HDMI 1 port, most frequently in commercials with pillar boxes, broadcast @ 1080i from my DTV hr20-100
AND
[Watch] shows on USAHD and TNTHD. Look for shows like Monk or Law and Order: CI, in which the programs are broadcast full screen in 1080i but the commercials are broadcast with pillar boxes 5.3.4 Can I fix it

Your troubles may be due to having File Mode ON. Try setting File Mode to OFF and see if your MBE clears up.

two fixes:

• set Film Mode to OFF
  • Manually bump down dtv input from 1080i to 720p.
5.3.5 What should I do about it

Try setting Film Mode to OFF.

If this does not fix the problem you may want to make sure your STB or DVD player is not causing the problem and that it is not present in the source. After eliminating those options you may have a different issue and should probably contact Samsung support. This is the only way they will know about problems and fix them.

5.4 Growing Line of Dead Pixels

This is a physical defect with the panel; LCD delamination. There is a support thread for those afflicted with this unfortunate problem:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=962801

Samsung recently started producting panels out of their new Gen8 fab and there appears to be some quality issues. Most people see these problems within the first few weeks of ownership but one known case occured after a few months.

It looks like this (pic credit to zinkie):

If you are within your return window, exchanging is your best option. TiVoHD had this happen to him a few months into ownership and had to go through the Samsung warranty to get it repaired.

I will summaries TiVoHD's experience here because it may be helpful to anyone who has this happen to them past the return window. The first service tech to examine the TV claimed it was damaged by the user and was refusing to repair the TV under warranty. TiVoHD had to get on the phone with Samsung and convince them to send another tech for a second opinion. His update after the second visit (post):
Quote:

The second tech just left. He took one look at the vertical lines and said "Yup, that's the LCD delamination that I've been reading about." He said that there's actually a Samsung tech bulletin about it. He also said that it's obvious that it wasn't caused by physical damage because if it was, the cracks would spider out in every direction....not just vertically.

Samsung is requiring that he send in some digital pictures before they let him order a new panel. So he took some pictures, and he'll send them in to Samsung on Monday. Assuming Samsung approves, the new panel will probably take 4 or 5 days to come in.

This tech said that there's nothing that can't be done to the TV in the home. He doesn't understand why other service center go through all the hassle of bringing a TV of that size into their shop.

What a difference from the first Tech that came out!

Keys to this visit:
  • The tech knew what LCD delamination is
  • A physical blow would have cracks spider out in all directions, not just vertically
5.5 Screen Flicker

sd13 went through 3 sets with flicker before getting a flicker free set. 1 Jan 2008 and 2 Feb 2008 builds with flicker. Only the Aug 2007 build was flicker free. Sounds like a problem with the newer builds (

see post)

sd13 called Samsung about flicker. The CSR told him it was the same backlight flicker issue that plagued older 69 series sets. post
Several owners have reported that their screen flickers (see video provided by Lice). The cause and solution are not known at this time. Flicker appears to clear up at backlight settings of 10 and 8.

Some tests people have tried without success:
  • Line conditioner
  • ground loop test - no inputs connected, picture loaded from USB
  • different power receptical
  • power from a different house
One user (vigilante1: post) reported that pushing the power cord in until it snaps into place nearly completely cleared up the flicker.
sd13 has posted stating that he has seen flickering and non-flickering sets at a Best Buy (see post). This rules out environment factors as the cause of flicker and points to a defect in the set.
5.6 Multiple clicking at startup
5.6.1 What is it

Some owners have reported that their sets will click 8-10 times then after some delay, the TV will turn on. A normally operating TV will click once on and once off.
The extra clicking appears to be a symptom of bad capacitors in the power supply (tsk tsk Samsung, there is no excuse for putting cheap capacitors in electronics) The actual clicking sound comes from mechanical relays fitted in the power supply. When the set turns on or off you will hear the relays click to the opened or closed state as required.

5.6.2 Can I fix it

There are a number of methods to fix this problem:

1. Try Samsung support for ‘courtesy’ repair

Some owners have phoned Samsung support (1-800-SAMSUNG) and said they had the “power-on clicking issue”. Samsung apparently will pay for a one-time “courtesy” repair of this issue even if the set is out of warranty.
Refs: mknebel posts: (

1, 2), gid, derf_man , Raizer,
2. Advanced mode: Replace the power supply board

In theory, you could purchase a 1 for 1 replacement of your power supply from various online suppliers. I believe those supplies have been linked a few times either in this thread of the owners thread. Note that there is no guaranty that the capacitors on the replacement board are any better than what you currently have.

3. Expert mode: Replace faulty capacitors

This method requires you to open your TV, locate the faulty capacitors on the power supply board and replace them using a soldering iron. Some soldering experience is recommended but soldering through hole capacitors is not all that difficult if you are crafty enough. There are lots of tutorials and advise online on how to solder. Please review some of these website before attempting the repair.
What you are looking for are bulging or burst capacitors. Note the technical parameters of the caps, usually printed on the body, buy suitable replacements and solder away.
The following posts might be helpful to you:

chaarlieee experience, CA_SteelersFan
6 Where can I find...
6.1 ... the owners thread
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post11364486
6.2 ... the calibration thread
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=901174
Popular calibration settings:
RRRRonnn post #98
Drs1nonly's post #210
Studdad's post #274

For 2004
kjgarrison's post #936
6.3 ... the TXE thread
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post12238993
6.4 ... the TBE/stutter poll
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post12306488
6.5 ... the TBE/stutter datasheet
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...jiHKvtE4iFSGCw
PM petrovy to be included
6.6 ... xx71 vs xx81 owner comparison

sharpjunkie is the man:

xx71 vs xx81 owner comparison 6.7 ... xx71 vs xbr4 owner comparison

sharpjunkie is the man:

xx71 vs xbr4 owner comparison 6.8 ... the Virtical Line problem thread
the Virtical Line problem thread
Also see 5.4 for some details 6.9 ... The LNTxx71 owners Firmware list
owners firmware list
6.10 ... Official Samsung 71 exchange thread
Official Samsung 71 exchange thread
7 Glossary
  • AMP - Auto Motion Plus
  • bricked set/TV - A TV that becomes inoperable. It is as functional as a brick
  • FRC board - Frame Rate Conversion board. This is the mystery 3rd printed circuit board which features either a Samsung IC or Micronas IC for doing interpolation and such.
  • MBE - Mini blind effect
  • stutter - in terms of the xx71 series, this is a side effect of AMP and not related to judder
  • SOE - Soap Opera Effect - nickname for AMP-high look
  • TBE - Triple ball effect
  • TSE - Triple sword effect (same as TBE)
  • TXE - Triple X effect, generic term for TBE
  • VP - Video processor

LL

New Samsung LNTxx71f owner? Read the FAQ!
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post12429454
LNTxx71f owners FW list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 Old 12-07-2007, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

If you have a better definition for stutter, PM me! If you have a video showing stutter PM me with a link, I'll include it in the FAQ.

Post edits, error, omissions, updates, corrections, whatever you want. Also, please PM me as I might miss some details.

Thanks for reading.

FAQ change log:
November 11, 2010

added

• 5.6 - Multiple clicking at startup
June 6, 2008

modify

• 2.3 - direct Samsung firmware download link
May 27, 2008

added

• 6.10 - 71f exchange thread link
Apr 8, 2008

modified

• 5.2 - added demo and test info to stutter section
Apr 7, 2008

modified

• 5 - added link to youknowryan's latest Tier 3 update
Mar 27, 2008

added

• 1.8 - how to fix minor scratches
  • SOE to glossary

modified

• 5.5 - sd13 info about getting a non-flicker 71
  • 1.9 - was 1.8 but moved for continuity
Mar 19, 2008

added

• MBE to glossary

modified

• 5.3 - updated mini blind info with Film Mode-OFF as fix
Mar 4, 2008

added

• 5.5 - flicker

modified

• 1.3 - SM calibration fix
  • 2.3 - updated the updating FW info
  • 3.7 - speakers
Feb 18, 2008

added

• 4.8 - split screen demo mode of DNIe
  • 5.4 - vertical line problem
  • 6.8 - link to vertical line problem thread

modified

• 2.6 - added link to 10xx vs 20xx comparions by youknowryan
Feb 6, 2008

added

• 5.2.3 - added test scenes from Bourne Identity
Feb 4, 2008

added

• 1.8 - ...

modified

• 1.3 - added link to post from someone who fixed their set after a service menu mistake
  • 5 - youknowryan Feb4 chat with tech linked and summarized
  • other minor changes not worth detailing
Jan 29, 2008

modified

• 5.3.1 - added more description
Jan 24, 2008

modified

• 1.6 - added online chat info
  • 2.2 - Q=2008 in the serial
  • 3.5 - PC mode = 60Hz maybe
  • 5.3 - added Geronimo.USMC feedback which somewhat contradicts cybolts... ugh.

added

• link to samsung quick guide
  • link to user manual downloads
  • links to samsung official product pages
  • 1.7 - how to clean the LCD
Jan 23, 2008

added

• 3.11- 71 vs. 81 + 71 vs. xbr4 link information
  • 4.7 - vapour artifact info
  • 5.3 - mini blind defect info
  • 6.6 - link to 71 vs 81 sharpjunkie thread
  • 6.7 - link to 71 vs xbr4 sharpjunkie thread

LNTxx71f owners FW list
post #3 of 63 Old 12-07-2007, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Good info for contacting the right people instead of getting brushed off:

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowryan View Post

For those of you wanting to hold Samsung's feet to the fire, here is the trick:

1-800-samsung
options 5, 1, 1
Tell level 1 you have a TBE *AND* stutter issue and want to speak with level 2.
Tell level 2 you want to speak with level 2 in NJ (soon to be titled level 3, which they are). When you get to level 3, ask to be sure that it is the right people. Tell your story, and how badly you want a fix.

It's a pain, but this gets you to the people that speak directly with the software programmers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 63 Old 12-07-2007, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResOGlas View Post

Good info for contacting the right people instead of getting brushed off:

thanks, added

LNTxx71f owners FW list
post #5 of 63 Old 12-09-2007, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
i cant resist ! i have to reply even if it is against my conviction (reduce number of pages )

you did the most efficient post about our LNT***71
thanks

SAMSUNG LNT**71 FAQ
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post12484345
HDMI PC =trouble, DB15 is a shure shot !
UHF directional antenna+ air HD channel
post #6 of 63 Old 12-09-2007, 02:11 PM

This is great info.
I copied your post in starting a 69F FAQ, crediting you of course.
Considering the 71F is practically the same except that the 71F is glossy screen and 69F is matte screen.
I just made some very minor changes to it.

Its always good for having updated info on questions that are frequently answered in an easy to read format, instead of shifting thru hundreds of pages of posts.
post #7 of 63 Old 12-09-2007, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does anyone know of a valid userid/password to download firmware??
post #8 of 63 Old 12-09-2007, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericuf View Post

I don't believe you can download it now unless you contact Samsung, and if they are still giving it out (may not be due to all the issues) then they will give you instructions.

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
post #9 of 63 Old 12-09-2007, 03:33 PM

is there anyone whose firmware works FINE?
post #10 of 63 Old 12-09-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericuf View Post

Just follow the the guide above:

Quote:

Your best bet is to call Samsung directly to get your firmware updates. Samsung does not seem to be handing out firmwares by just asking, you need to properly describe the TBE, probably without saying 'triple ball effect' because of the AVS effect, to get the update. Some key words to use are 'tripling', 'shadows' and be sure to mention turning AMP off fixes the problem.
To get to a CSR that will help you:

1-800-samsung
options 5, 1, 1

Once you give them an issue with your TV, they can send ya an email w/ Username and Password that lasts 2 weeks.
I got the latest FW from them with my 69F and they knew exactly about the TBE/TXE issues when I called.
post #11 of 63 Old 12-09-2007, 07:18 PM

thanks! I should have the Tv delivered on Wed (from best buy); very excited!
post #12 of 63 Old 12-10-2007, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggtronic View Post

i cant resist ! i have to reply even if it is against my conviction (reduce number of pages )

you did the most efficient post about our LNT***71
thanks

Thanks.

Don't worry about posting here. I hope people will read the first post and can ignore most of the rest. I will do my best to keep the first post up to date with whatever comes up in the thread and hope that people PM me if I miss something.

btw, I reserved the second post so I can ramble on without cluttering the FAQ.

LNTxx71f owners FW list
post #13 of 63 Old 12-10-2007, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilim View Post

This is great info.
I copied your post in starting a 69F FAQ, crediting you of course.
Considering the 71F is practically the same except that the 71F is glossy screen and 69F is matte screen.
I just made some very minor changes to it.

Its always good for having updated info on questions that are frequently answered in an easy to read format, instead of shifting thru hundreds of pages of posts.

Good idea. Sorry I didn't think of the xx69 owners otherwise I may have let that thread know. I wonder if I should track down the european versions...

LNTxx71f owners FW list
post #14 of 63 Old 12-10-2007, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilim View Post

Just follow the the guide above:

Once you give them an issue with your TV, they can send ya an email w/ Username and Password that lasts 2 weeks.
I got the latest FW from them with my 69F and they knew exactly about the TBE/TXE issues when I called.

Yes, some CSRs know about TBE. I caution against using either 'TBE' or 'triple ball effect' because I read some posts about people who mentioned AVS directly only to get the CSR to claim people here don't know what they're talking about and claiming there's no problem. I figure if you don't use the AVS terms you'll avoid this, probably unlikely, scenario.

LNTxx71f owners FW list
post #15 of 63 Old 12-11-2007, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
thanks ONUND

this is a good test patterne to verify your pixel mapping if you
run your PC to the 71:
http://www.tigerdave.com/test_patterns.htm

good description found here:
http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/08/20...pixel-mapping/

my new 5271 (second one) is passing that test very good now !
and the high temperature test run up good (no defective pixel)
i'm finally satisfy !

SAMSUNG LNT**71 FAQ
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post12484345
HDMI PC =trouble, DB15 is a shure shot !
UHF directional antenna+ air HD channel
post #16 of 63 Old 12-13-2007, 05:09 PM

Thanks for the FAQ. very helpful.

Samsung LNTxx71f FAQ:
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=951698

Samsung LNT-XX71 1013/2004 Firmware Download Link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?c5dz1ucebzg
post #17 of 63 Old 12-29-2007, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

whoops, mistake post
post #18 of 63 Old 01-04-2008, 05:33 PM

I have followed these steps to a T, but do not receive the version information. My serial number is a P8. I just received the 4671 today. When I press the info button as instructed, I only receive the following information:
HDMI3: Satelitte STB
Picture Mode: Standard
Sound Mode: Custom
Resolution: 1920 x 1080i
H Frequency: 33kHz
V Frequency: 60Hz
No Time Information
Game Mode

That is it...I have followed these instructions. Can someone provide thoughts on why I can not get to the firmware version? Thank you in advance!

1. Turn on your TV.
2. Press the MENU button on your remote.
5. Use the Up or Down arrow button on your remote to move down to Function Help to ON,
6. With Function Help ON highlighted (don't actually push ENTER on it), press the INFO button on the remote. Your firmware revision will be listed as two lines of information. The TOP line is your software firmware. The BOTTOM line is the hardware revision number.
post #19 of 63 Old 01-04-2008, 06:24 PM

My new 5271 will be arriving a week from Monday - thanks for the excellent info!!!
post #20 of 63 Old 01-07-2008, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dab62 View Post

I have followed these steps to a T, but do not receive the version information. My serial number is a P8. I just received the 4671 today. When I press the info button as instructed, I only receive the following information:
HDMI3: Satelitte STB
Picture Mode: Standard
Sound Mode: Custom
Resolution: 1920 x 1080i
H Frequency: 33kHz
V Frequency: 60Hz
No Time Information
Game Mode

That is it...I have followed these instructions. Can someone provide thoughts on why I can not get to the firmware version? Thank you in advance!

1. Turn on your TV.
2. Press the MENU button on your remote.
6. With Function Help ON highlighted (don't actually push ENTER on it), press the INFO button on the remote. Your firmware revision will be listed as two lines of information. The TOP line is your software firmware. The BOTTOM line is the hardware revision number.

Sorry, don't check back here too often.
Sounds like you are hitting the 'enter' button when highlighting Function Help ON, don't do this. You have to push INFO when the ON/OFF choice is still visible on screen, just highlight ON and press INFO.

So when you press ENTER to get the ON/OFF choice for Function Help the only buttons you have to press at this point are the DOWN/UP buttons and INFO. If you press ENTER again before getting your FW you've done it wrong.

Hope this helps

LNTxx71f owners FW list
post #21 of 63 Old 01-07-2008, 02:04 PM

Thank you onund for the reply.

I promise, I am not pushing/selecting the function help...just highlighted with the yellow boc around it in the setup section. Of I hit ENTER on it, then function, nothing appears except the OFF/ON drop down to toggle Function Help on or off...I have a P8 version SQ01. i was able to check my Firmware version by going into the service menu, but that is a bit more risky than the documented method....confusing...
post #22 of 63 Old 01-07-2008, 02:14 PM

Now I was thinking I am crazy..found if I do what I had been, highlight Funtion Help, then hit the RIGHT ARROW (one around the enter key), then info, it appears properly...whew...

Thank you again for taking the time to respond. Posting in case someone else has the same issue.
post #23 of 63 Old 01-08-2008, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Now I was thinking I am crazy..found if I do what I had been, highlight Funtion Help, then hit the RIGHT ARROW (one around the enter key), then info, it appears properly...whew...

Thank you again for taking the time to respond. Posting in case someone else has the same issue.

So let me understand this,

Case 1:
Press ENTER on Function Help to reveal ON/OFF options
highlight ON
Press INFO

Case 2:
Press RIGHT ARROW on Function Help to reveal ON/OFF options
highlight ON
Press INFO

Case 1 does not work but Case 2 does?

LNTxx71f owners FW list
post #24 of 63 Old 01-08-2008, 02:19 PM

Hi onund...

Correct, Case 1 does NOT work and Case 2 does.

Thank you, again for your help! I love my 4671!!!!!! This forum has sure been a great help!
post #25 of 63 Old 01-09-2008, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Hi onund...

Correct, Case 1 does NOT work and Case 2 does.

Thank you, again for your help! I love my 4671!!!!!! This forum has sure been a great help!

odd... so the only difference between the two is pressing RIGHT ARROW instead of ENTER and that works? wow... that's an odd quirk. ENTER works for me.

Glad you found a solution though.

LNTxx71f owners FW list
post #26 of 63 Old 01-10-2008, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've looked around a little and can't find it exactly

But has there been a thread or poll on the percentage of satisfied customers with the Samsung LNTXX71 series TVs?

Bottom line: Would those who own these sets buy them again if given the chance? Or in hindsight, would you now have chosen a different set?

I like the picture as displayed at the store and am trying to make a decision between purchasing the LNT5271 or the Pioneer PDP-5080HD.

Thank you for an informative 1st post in this thread.
post #27 of 63 Old 01-11-2008, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvilla View Post

I've looked around a little and can't find it exactly

But has there been a thread or poll on the percentage of satisfied customers with the Samsung LNTXX71 series TVs?

Bottom line: Would those who own these sets buy them again if given the chance? Or in hindsight, would you now have chosen a different set?

I like the picture as displayed at the store and am trying to make a decision between purchasing the LNT5271 or the Pioneer PDP-5080HD.

Thank you for an informative 1st post in this thread.

The poll you ask for does not exist to my knowledge. This question has been asked maybe 2-3 times in the owners thread though and every time the vast majority of owners say yes they would buy again given the chance.

For most people the only issues are TBE and stutter and neither of those are deal breakers. If Samsung fixes these issues then most owners agree there is no reason not to own it.

LNTxx71f owners FW list
post #28 of 63 Old 01-11-2008, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by onund View Post

The poll you ask for does not exist to my knowledge. This question has been asked maybe 2-3 times in the owners thread though and every time the vast majority of owners say yes they would buy again given the chance.

For most people the only issues are TBE and stutter and neither of those are deal breakers. If Samsung fixes these issues then most owners agree there is no reason not to own it.

Thank you for your reply onund.

It's weird....reading these forums and the independent reviews, I get all excited about and ready to buy the Pioneer PDP-5080HD....but then when I go the store, the Samsung picture just jumps out at me. But maybe the brightness and eye-catching colors I'm seeing on the Samsung -- while attractive and eye catching in the showroom -- is not really the best picture when I get the set home. The recent dramatic price drop on the 5080 is a pretty good incentive to buy... but the Samsung is the one that screams "Buy Me" louder when I compare the sets in the same showroom.

Decisions decisions...... I think I'll get out another beer and ponder it some more...
post #29 of 63 Old 01-11-2008, 02:08 PM

For me even with the known issues I would still buy the 71 series. I was well aware of the problems that could arise, but ultimately my eyes make the decision no one else. I was specifically looking for an LCD so I do not compare Plasma and LCD. The only thing I compare the Samsung to is the Sony XBR 4 and 5 LCD,and I was happier overall with the PQ and look from the Samsung. There is nothing else LCD wise that competes with these LCDs other than of course the the 81 series in my own opinion

If I was looking at plasmas, Pioneer would definitely be high on the list

Good luck any of your choices are great and I am sure you will be happy with either one you choose.
post #30 of 63 Old 01-24-2008, 08:36 AM

Thanks onund! This is great info! I just bought this tv and have been going through the owner's thread and this is much easier to read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page