120hz LCD vs CRT - pics - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 196 Old 01-04-2008, 01:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
how do i know if my LCD is 120Hz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 196 Old 01-04-2008, 02:03 AM

Would be nice to have a plasma set as a comparison as well. Nice thread.
post #63 of 196 Old 01-04-2008, 02:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by had1 View Post

Bronx19,
I couldn't agree with you more!! I'll never forget the first experience I had with a "top of the line" plasma TV my friend had just purchased! Went home 30 minutes later dizzy and thought I'd been drinking from motion blur! I'll be the first to admit as long as the picture is basically standing still it's incredible!!

It's a media hype joke and makes me lose confidence in society! We're suppose to be more geeked out than ever?? It's the "keepin' up with the Jones" society we live in and that's all that matters!! If everyone would tell the TV Mfgs. to stick it and why, then they would have to go back to the drawing board and figure out how to produce a real TV again without motion blur!!

Yup! OLED is exactly that TV. Sony showcased a 37" last year at CES and Samsung will be showcasing a 40" this year. All these mfg are saying that the blue oled is not perfected yet and it still is way too expensive to make. I say it is BS. Fact of the matter is, if they release it now to the public, OLED will kill any TV technology out there right now with the exception of FPTV.

Imagine how much they have to lose if that happens. They will make sure they get their ROI back before we see all these new technology in place. Our technology sure depends on supply and demand.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 196 Old 01-04-2008, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrox View Post

Also, I don't know if it has been mentioned yet but improving motion performance by reducing the duty cycle comes at the cost of introducing flicker. CRT might have the best motion performance but also has the most obvious flicker. The tradeoff will always exist unless massive amounts of interpolated frames are used.

The flicker people (rarely) complain about with CRT TVs is due to interlacing. The 60Hz refresh rate is okay (not perfect - 70 or 80Hz would be better).

Flicker was a bigger problem in PAL-land (50Hz), so TVs with 75Hz or 100Hz refesh were developed. 100Hz is overkill for flicker reduction but has the advantage of allowing the original frames to be displayed.
post #65 of 196 Old 01-04-2008, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
borf, you answered many of my questions that I posed in my quest for my CRT replacement.

Great job, I am not a gamer, but I do appreciate a good testing process that shows strengths and weaknesses.

I want to upgrade my Toshiba 32HF72 to something big, but I still do not have a clear direction to go.
buy now or wait for something better.. UGH
post #66 of 196 Old 01-04-2008, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by netconcepts View Post

borf, you answered many of my questions that I posed in my quest for my CRT replacement.

Great job, I am not a gamer, but I do appreciate a good testing process that shows strengths and weaknesses.

I want to upgrade my Toshiba 32HF72 to something big, but I still do not have a clear direction to go.
buy now or wait for something better.. UGH

Wait for now, CES is just days away and the new TVs coming out in the next few months will be revealed. Hold off until then, there might be some good news for those of us who can't stand motion blur.
post #67 of 196 Old 01-05-2008, 04:21 PM

Working with Professional standards converts such as Teranex and Snell and Wilcox to convert frame rates and line standards in SD and HD, Motion compinsated or motion predictive conversions are still not with out some kind of artifacting. With the Snell and Wilcox Alchemist Platinum there is 11 frames of video delay to analize, process, and convert the video. When it can't accuratley predict the in between frame or field it will exhibit a interpolated or blended image of the two. Another artifact is halo or a morphed image around things like the interpolated shot of Bruce Willis(look around his head the chain link fence is distorded around the front of his face) Now these artifacts on the converter are no where near as bad as what the LCD is displaying (the difference between a $100,000 converter and $3500 LCD monitor).

In a nutshell the conversion from 60 to 120hz on my Samsung xx71 isnt bad considering what its doing to achieve the 120hz. Could it be better, Hell yes, will they ever fix it? I think they will find a better way of minimizing the artifacts and call it a day. When whatching sports I turn off the AMP to minimize the artifacts. For games, There is a game mode that appears to revert to a 60hz mode (I cant verify this put it eliminates TBE). Thats my opinion and I'm happy with my purchase. If someone made a 52 inch or larger 16x9 CRT I'm sure we would all be on it.
post #68 of 196 Old 01-05-2008, 04:42 PM

thus why i still have 2 unopened crt's in the basement...
post #69 of 196 Old 01-05-2008, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've decided I want a CRT monitor/TV to watch HD movies and play 360 games in HD-equivalent resolution. Which is the best one to get for PQ? And how do I get it? Thanks...
post #70 of 196 Old 01-05-2008, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectra18 View Post

If someone made a 52 inch or larger 16x9 CRT I'm sure we would all be on it.

I definitely won't. Leaving aside the physical problems of such a set (it will be huge and power hungry), the geometric distortion of CRT is really obvious now that we have used flat panel fixed-pixel displays. I also can't stand the flickering of CRT's. Since I don't play games, CRT's hold no advantage for me.

CLau
post #71 of 196 Old 01-05-2008, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clau View Post

the geometric distortion of CRT is really obvious now that we have used flat panel fixed-pixel displays.

It's worse than that. Sony's largest CRT before they quit the CRT market was 40" 4x3. This model was known to develop green and yellow splotches in the corners, an artifact I have personally seen. The splotches would move around the screen just when the set was rotated.

The reccommended fix was to have a tech come out and install magnets because this problem was believed to be caused by the magetic pull of the earth on the electrons as they tried to reach the corners of the screen.

I shudder to think what kinds of problems a 52" CRT would have.
post #72 of 196 Old 01-05-2008, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectra18 View Post

Working with Professional standards converts such as Teranex and Snell and Wilcox to convert frame rates and line standards in SD and HD, Motion compinsated or motion predictive conversions are still not with out some kind of artifacting. With the Snell and Wilcox Alchemist Platinum there is 11 frames of video delay to analize, process, and convert the video. When it can't accuratley predict the in between frame or field it will exhibit a interpolated or blended image of the two. Another artifact is halo or a morphed image around things like the interpolated shot of Bruce Willis(look around his head the chain link fence is distorded around the front of his face) Now these artifacts on the converter are no where near as bad as what the LCD is displaying (the difference between a $100,000 converter and $3500 LCD monitor).

In a nutshell the conversion from 60 to 120hz on my Samsung xx71 isnt bad considering what its doing to achieve the 120hz. Could it be better, Hell yes, will they ever fix it? I think they will find a better way of minimizing the artifacts and call it a day. When whatching sports I turn off the AMP to minimize the artifacts. For games, There is a game mode that appears to revert to a 60hz mode (I cant verify this put it eliminates TBE). Thats my opinion and I'm happy with my purchase. If someone made a 52 inch or larger 16x9 CRT I'm sure we would all be on it.

Thanks for replying. For anybody wondering, Spectra18 works with the best frame-rate converters in the world which is basically what AMP is - plus he has a 71. I have a couple quesions when you have time:

For reference, the Samsung is rumored to use the micronas FRC9wxyM frame-rate converter.

1) In your opinion does the 69/71 use the same "motion vector process" as the Snell/Wilcox or the lesser "block matching method" - I always assumed the latter as the former is mucho-expensive.

2) I made some educated guesses as to what happens when prediction fails. When you say the TV will "exibit an interpolated image" above do you mean "linear interpolation" (as in the man with 3 arms).
Is "blending" the same as "cut-and-paste.

3) There are a few other ideas floating around as to the cause of "TBE". You mentioned "interpolation". Does interlacing contribute? I think you said it did and i would agree. What about OreoJoe's motion vector idea above? Are these all causes?

4) Finally I'm glad your'e impressed with AMP. Do you think it has a future and do you think it will ever match snell/wilcox considering the price of that technology. (11 frame delay? - that would not be good for gaming ah). Do you think movies/TV will ever raise the temporal framerates so TV's won't have to?
post #73 of 196 Old 01-05-2008, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
To me, it simply doesn't matter if the CRT's are sharper when displaying motion. The 120hz and AMP of the 71 makes things appear to be 60fps, which is a godsend for video games, animated films, and cg films. No CRT or Plasma can do that. This is THE biggest benefit I have EVER seen for playing video games.

It's a travesty that games nowadays are mostly running at 30fps. 120hz and AMP helps to bring more life to these games.

Try playing Medal of Honor: Airborne (30fps), and then CoD3 or CoD4 (60fps). Different framerates for same type of game, extremely similiar to each other. Now sit there and tell me that MoH looks better than CoD4. I'd laugh at you.

Ironically, MoH: Airborne is a rare game in which AMP doesn't help much with the framerate. Most 30fps games I've played appear to look more like 60fps with AMP on High.
post #74 of 196 Old 01-05-2008, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin CZ View Post

To me, it simply doesn't matter if the CRT's are sharper when displaying motion. The 120hz and AMP of the 71 makes things appear to be 60fps, which is a godsend for video games, animated films, and cg films. No CRT or Plasma can do that. This is THE biggest benefit I have EVER seen for playing video games.

It's a travesty that games nowadays are mostly running at 30fps. 120hz and AMP helps to bring more life to these games.

Try playing Medal of Honor: Airborne (30fps), and then CoD3 or CoD4 (60fps). Different framerates for same type of game, extremely similiar to each other. Now sit there and tell me that MoH looks better than CoD4. I'd laugh at you.

Ironically, MoH: Airborne is a rare game in which AMP doesn't help much with the framerate. Most 30fps games I've played appear to look more like 60fps with AMP on High.

Just a quick note, CoD3 is 30 fps not 60 (I was mad about this) IW didn't make that one and aren't making #5 instead the team that did the first 2 CoD games for the PS2/Xbox/cube are making them. CoD 2 is a 60 fps game and is only $20 on the 360 and is a great test for 60 fps gameplay.

Now if AMP does that for 30 fps games I would really consider getting a 120hz set, Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect aren't making me happy with the framerate. Right now I am thinking of getting a 5265 when they go on clearance to replace my 42 inch Plasma that has bad green fringing, but if 120hz does that for games (and I can see it with my own eyes) then I might just have to step up to a 120hz unit.
post #75 of 196 Old 01-05-2008, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Just a quick note, CoD3 is 30 fps not 60 (I was mad about this) IW didn't make that one and aren't making #5 instead the team that did the first 2 CoD games for the PS2/Xbox/cube are making them. CoD 2 is a 60 fps game and is only $20 on the 360 and is a great test for 60 fps gameplay.

Now if AMP does that for 30 fps games I would really consider getting a 120hz set, Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect aren't making me happy with the framerate. Right now I am thinking of getting a 5265 when they go on clearance to replace my 42 inch Plasma that has bad green fringing, but if 120hz does that for games (and I can see it with my own eyes) then I might just have to step up to a 120hz unit.

I dunno where you've been playing CoD3, but on the 360 it IS 60fps. No question about it. It may have slowdown issues, but it's definitely 60fps for the Xbox 360. I still have the demo that came with the Elite 360, and yes, 60fps. I don't mistake 30fps for 60fps...ever.

I beat Asassin's Creed, and yes AMP makes the game appear to be 60fps (well, mostly Altair himself runs at 60fps most of the time, sometimes the enviroment runs at 60fps), though it's not constant. I JUST rented Mass Effect. Will let you know later.
post #76 of 196 Old 01-05-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borf View Post

Thanks for replying. For anybody wondering, Spectra18 works with the best frame-rate converters in the world which is basically what AMP is - plus he has a 71. I have a couple quesions when you have time:

For reference, the Samsung is rumored to use the micronas FRC9wxyM frame-rate converter.

1) In your opinion does the 69/71 use the same "motion vector process" as the Snell/Wilcox or the lesser "block matching method" - I always assumed the latter as the former is mucho-expensive.

2) I made some educated guesses as to what happens when prediction fails. When you say the TV will "exibit an interpolated image" above do you mean "linear interpolation" (as in the man with 3 arms).
Is "blending" the same as "cut-and-paste.

3) There are a few other ideas floating around as to the cause of "TBE". You mentioned "interpolation". Does interlacing contribute? I think you said it did and i would agree. What about OreoJoe's motion vector idea above? Are these all causes?

4) Finally I'm glad your'e impressed with AMP. Do you think it has a future and do you think it will ever match snell/wilcox considering the price of that technology. (11 frame delay? - that would not be good for gaming ah). Do you think movies/TV will ever raise the temporal framerates so TV's won't have to?

1) In your opinion does the 69/71 use the same "motion vector process" as the Snell/Wilcox or the lesser "block matching method" - I always assumed the latter as the former is mucho-expensive. The Snell uses Motion Vector with Phase Correlation which Snell work with the BBC to develope. The Snell also is looking forward and backward in its anylizing. As to what Samsung is using I'll guess and say Block(just a guess on my part)

[/2) I made some educated guesses as to what happens when prediction fails. When you say the TV will "exibit an interpolated image" above do you mean "linear interpolation" (as in the man with 3 arms).
Is "blending" the same as "cut-and-paste. [
B]Linear interpolation would be your man with 3 arms. Blending is just another term or discription of interpolation, the converter is blending fields together to make frames.

3) There are a few other ideas floating around as to the cause of "TBE". You mentioned "interpolation". Does interlacing contribute? I think you said it did and i would agree. What about OreoJoe's motion vector idea above? Are these all causes[b]?it can contribute. A fwd/backwrd algo would be great, I wonder what that would do to the price.

4) Finally I'm glad your'e impressed with AMP. Do you think it has a future and do you think it will ever match snell/wilcox considering the price of that technology. (11 frame delay? - that would not be good for gaming ah). Do you think movies/TV will ever raise the temporal framerates so TV's won't have to?[/quote]
[B]As the profesional gear gets better I believe you will see stripped down versions in consumer products. I wish I new the answer to the last part, I would be rich. I can tell you all titles being mastered either by DI (DIGITAL INTERMEDIATES 2K AND 4K Color corrected files that then taken back to film and also down rez to 1080x1920 4:4:4 RGB) or the traditional telecine to tape are all recorded to Sony HDCAM SR 4:4:4 RGB not component (y,cr,cb)

As for the CRT's, in the post indusrty these are like gold Sony stop making these so everyone is scambling to buy these used until they perfect the LCD's. LCD can't come close to the blacks of a CRT. Below are the monitors we use for QC. who wouldnt want one of these

Sony BVMF24U Display Monitors

MSRP: $35,980
Item #: MO671081
BCS Price: CALL

Model Description:
24" CineAlta Monitor

Model Details

The BVM-F24U has been designed as part of Sony's CineAlta family of high-definition electronic cinema products. The 24" monitor employs a flat surface 16:9 HR Trinitron CRT to support applications such as digital cinematography, mastering of HD film transfers, post-production for electronic cinematography, and high level animation. In addition to displaying the 1080/24P format, the monitor also supports a wide variety of HD signal formats due to its high scanning frequencies of 54 kHz to 91.1 kHz (horizontal) and 48 Hz to 85 Hz (vertical) and built-in frame rate converter. The monitor also offers a computer input capability and can accept SXGA signals. Accepts dual link 4:4:4 mode HD-SDI signals including 1080/24p, 1080/24Psf, 1080/30Psf, and 1080/60i. The BVMF24U also offers digital uniformity correction, digital convergence, beam landing correction and automatic presets for white balance, contrast and brightness. The optional BKM-14L light probe is required for setup of the auto landing and auto uniformity operations which will simplify the setup of the monitor. \\

Features:

Multi-Format Signal Support Accepts a wide variety of HD signal formats due to the high scanning frequencies of 54 kHz to 91.1 kHz (horizontal) and 48 Hz to 85 Hz (vertical).
Built in Frame Rate Converter Effectively eliminates the flicker effect when viewing 24 frame material for accurate picture evaluation.
SXGA Format Signal Support Accept SXGA signals from computers used for graphics work, where precise image reproduction is required.
Flat Surface 16:9 HR Trinitron CRT Achieves a high resolution of 1000 TV lines and outstanding color uniformity.
SMPTE-C Phosphors The industry standard for accurate color reproduction.
Flexible System Integration One optional control unit can remotely control up to 32 monitors, including BVM series, BVM-D series and PVM-L series monitors via the RS-485 serial remote interface.
Digital Uniformity The built-in digital uniformity system is used to achieve perfect uniformity on every point of the monitor screen - even along the peripheral area.
Standard or Variable Matrix Conforms to ITU 709 Colorimetry for standardized reproduction of production material intended for final viewing through broadcast, cable, or satellite distribution. Because Electronic Cinema colorimetry must conform to different film standards, a variable

Specifications:

General
Signal Format - 54 kHz to 91.1 kHz
Power Requirements - 100 V to 240 V AC±10%, 50/60 Hz
Power Consumption (max) - 225 W
Dimensions (W x H x D) - 22 3/8 x 17 1/4 x 24 inches
Mass - Approximately 119 lb, 8 oz
CRT Type - 24 inch HR Trinitron (flat surface, 16:9 aspect ratio)
AG Pitch - 0.25 to 0.28 mm, 90° deflection,
Phosphor - SMPTE-C
Inputs/Outputs
HD-SDI *Single Link (4:2:2), Dual Link (4:2:2), Dual Link (4:4:4) - RGB - BNC type x 2 (75 ohm) with monitor out, 1.485 Gbps(data rate) Single Link Mode (line 1 or line 2): 2 inputs Dual Link Mode (link A and link B): 1 input *Delay time range between Link A and Link B: within ±1/2H
Ext Sync - RGB - BNC type x 2 (75 ohm)
Composite SYNC - RGB - 0.3 to 5.0 Vp-p, positive/negative trilevel sync signal input or negative bi-level sync signal input.
Separate HS/VS - RGB - 0.3 to 5.0 Vp-p, positive sync/negative sync (Auto Selection)
Remote - RGB
Option - RGB - RS-232C for BKM-11R Mini DIN 8-pin
Control Unit - RGB - RS-422 for BKM-10R D-sub 9-pin
Remote 1/Serial remote - RGB - RS-485 serial interface, D-sub 9-pin, with loop through
Remote 2/Parallel remote - RGB - D-sub 9 pin (x1, short to ground)
Video Signal Performance - ISR
Frequency Response - ISR - 48 Hz to 60 MHz ±1dB/-3dB (x2, Pseudo Display) 58 HYz to 90 MHz ±1dB/-3dB (x3)
Matrix - ISR - ITU-709
Operating Conditions - ISR - Back pa
Operating Temperature - ISR - 32 to 95° F (0 to 35°C)
Storage Temperature - ISR - 14 to 104° F (-10 to 40°C)
Humidity - ISR - 0 to 90% (no condensation)

Additional Detailed Information:
Product Highlights
Setup and adjustment with Memory card
16:9 aspect ratio Flat surface HR Trinitron CRT

B]
post #77 of 196 Old 01-05-2008, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I think i understand the forward/backward thing. And thanks for confirming some ideas here - aha looks like gamers aren't the only ones "scrambling" for a used CRT. Let me know if you think any changes need to be made to the original post.

Thx!
post #78 of 196 Old 01-06-2008, 12:29 AM

2006 was the last real year anyone was making crt projection tv's, they are dead now. You might be able to buy a used one, that's your best bet. Even Sony is killing off their lcos line. It's down to lcd, plasma and dlp. I miss the days where 65 inch crt was king, all the new tvs these days seem so small.
post #79 of 196 Old 01-06-2008, 01:01 AM
Advanced Member

If you guys want to test for 120Hz, XBOX 360 'Dead or Alive 4' is a very good test since it is a ultra fast fighting game. Just let the initial fighting sequence demo auto-run a bit in either 120Hz and 60Hz modes. You will definitely notice the difference.

On my Sharp 52D82U, 120Hz fighting sequences are very clear and smooth, while 60Hz somehow suffers from blurring and pixellation (a bit?).
post #80 of 196 Old 01-06-2008, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OreoJoe View Post

Read this for good background. This is my lastest reference.

Give me some time to read that one OreoJoe....John Watkins can be a tad over my head (i've read his stuff before), but that one looks good.
post #81 of 196 Old 01-06-2008, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I dunno where you've been playing CoD3, but on the 360 it IS 60fps. No question about it. It may have slowdown issues, but it's definitely 60fps for the Xbox 360. I still have the demo that came with the Elite 360, and yes, 60fps. I don't mistake 30fps for 60fps...ever.

I beat Asassin's Creed, and yes AMP makes the game appear to be 60fps (well, mostly Altair himself runs at 60fps most of the time, sometimes the enviroment runs at 60fps), though it's not constant. I JUST rented Mass Effect. Will let you know later.

I played CoD3 on the PS3 (to see if I wanted CoD4 on the 360 or PS3) and I was very dsapointed when I played it, it was only 30fps (easy to spot on my old CRT) CoD2 and 4 are both 60fps and I always use them as my test for a display (CoD2 is the better test though since it runs at full 720p unlike CoD4 which is 600p) Assassin's Creed runs at 30fps on the PS3 and I am quite sure it is 30 fps on the 360 as well due to everything going on in the game. (It just needed a lot more polish than it had) Mass Effect is lucky to maintain a 30fps framerate during combat and will sometimes drop down under 20fps when the action gets intense. (turn off the filmgrain and motion blur in the graphics menu when you get a chance, it helps a bit) The framerate isn't that stable to those who are sensitive to it. (some don't notice it at all)

I'll try and check out a 120hz Samsung to see if it is worth the extra $800 for the 5271 over the 5265. I just hope I can get a good deal on the 5265 when it is being phased out if I don't like the AMP effect on games.
post #82 of 196 Old 01-06-2008, 11:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I played CoD3 on the PS3 (to see if I wanted CoD4 on the 360 or PS3) and I was very dsapointed when I played it, it was only 30fps (easy to spot on my old CRT) CoD2 and 4 are both 60fps and I always use them as my test for a display (CoD2 is the better test though since it runs at full 720p unlike CoD4 which is 600p) Assassin's Creed runs at 30fps on the PS3 and I am quite sure it is 30 fps on the 360 as well due to everything going on in the game. (It just needed a lot more polish than it had) Mass Effect is lucky to maintain a 30fps framerate during combat and will sometimes drop down under 20fps when the action gets intense. (turn off the filmgrain and motion blur in the graphics menu when you get a chance, it helps a bit) The framerate isn't that stable to those who are sensitive to it. (some don't notice it at all)

I'll try and check out a 120hz Samsung to see if it is worth the extra $800 for the 5271 over the 5265. I just hope I can get a good deal on the 5265 when it is being phased out if I don't like the AMP effect on games.

Google 'Cod3 on 360 60fps' and you get countless sources saying that CoD 3 on the 360 IS 60fps, and on the ps3 is 30fps.

Again, I dunno what's wrong with yours, but CoD3 is 60fps on the 360 as a FACT.

Assassin's Creed is 30fps, but AMP on High helps Altair and certain parts of the game run at 60fps.
post #83 of 196 Old 01-07-2008, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

This may be easier to read

Good read - changed the first post. I'm not sure "occlusions" are the same as "TBE"?

BTW,
Looks like AMD is adding phase-plane correlation to this year's Samsung 120hz LCDs

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...78&newsLang=en
post #84 of 196 Old 01-07-2008, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Google 'Cod3 on 360 60fps' and you get countless sources saying that CoD 3 on the 360 IS 60fps, and on the ps3 is 30fps.

Again, I dunno what's wrong with yours, but CoD3 is 60fps on the 360 as a FACT.

Assassin's Creed is 30fps, but AMP on High helps Altair and certain parts of the game run at 60fps.

Like I said, I only played the PS3 version, which I couldn't even finish due to how badly they butchered the CoD name. I have CoD2 and 4 on the 360.

How does Mass Effect work with AMP?
post #85 of 196 Old 01-08-2008, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Like I said, I only played the PS3 version, which I couldn't even finish due to how badly they butchered the CoD name. I have CoD2 and 4 on the 360.

How does Mass Effect work with AMP?

I thought you mentioned seeing it on the 360 as 30fps. Because I wholeheartedly agree with it being 30fps on the ps3.

You most likely would enjoy CoD3 more on the 360. I know I could never play a CoD at 30fps after playing them at 60fps.

Ugh. I didn't test out Mass Effect on the 71. I took it to my job and played on my Sammy 2353h, and hated the game so much that I didn't even care about testing it on the 71.
post #86 of 196 Old 01-08-2008, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I thought you mentioned seeing it on the 360 as 30fps. Because I wholeheartedly agree with it being 30fps on the ps3.

You most likely would enjoy CoD3 more on the 360. I know I could never play a CoD at 30fps after playing them at 60fps.

Ugh. I didn't test out Mass Effect on the 71. I took it to my job and played on my Sammy 2353h, and hated the game so much that I didn't even care about testing it on the 71.

I'm actually enjoying the game right now, but I did see one framerate drop so far, it seemed to drop to 5fps for about 7 seconds when I got mobbed by some weird animals, good thing they were easy to kill. I wasn't too happy about it but if it is a rare thing then I could live with it. This game did need a lot more polish than it got though.
post #87 of 196 Old 01-08-2008, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

One thing I must say about Mass Effect is that the cutscenes have to be the most beautiful I've ever seen on the 360 to date.

I just hate the KOTOR style gameplay.
post #88 of 196 Old 01-09-2008, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the mention.

NP. The "stutter" problem will be addressed later pending any definite answers.
post #89 of 196 Old 01-09-2008, 01:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I read the changes. You have a good reference thread. Thanks for the mention.

I never read about occlusions before this document and wonder how often this appears in the literature.

The PR from AMD indicates the new LSI does functions similar to Micronas FRC, both using FFT to correlate phase thus finding vector magnitude and direction. Who knows if AMD is better, but I'd bet it's cheaper.

I also trust AMD more than Micronas/TrenMicro. I have always been a fan of ATI graphics and I think they are the best IMO. Makes me wonder though if Nvidia will follow suit. lol, Sony maybe?

post #90 of 196 Old 01-09-2008, 08:42 AM

So am I the only one who is more confused then ever??

I need to upgrade my Panasonic 53x54 rear projection and I am torn between an LCD that has 4ms response time with 60hz or an LCD with 8ms response time and 120hz...

What is a poor sap like me to pick? I have about $2500-$3000 to spend...

HELP!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page