120hz LCD vs CRT - pics - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 196 Old 03-31-2008, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by borf View Post

Please don't state opinion as fact.

OK.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 196 Old 03-31-2008, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

I have a Sony Trinitron XBR HDTV in my basement. Forget the size, but whatever the biggest they made in 2003/4 (38"? maybe). I know it weighs 250 lbs if not more. Beautiful picture.

I'm thinking about calibrating it, but there are no grayscale/white balance adjustments in the User Menu. Does anybody know how to get into the Service Menu?

Well I found out how to get into the SM, but I have NO IDEA what to do there. There must be 200 things in there, most with names that give (to me at least) no clue as to what they do. I did find what appears to be grayscale adjustments (cuts/drives), but if there are other CMS adjustments, they are well disguised.
post #183 of 196 Old 04-07-2008, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

First, I know about input lag as I have (a lot) other LCDs and I have experienced it. My experience with the 71f however is as what I say.

Quote:

Hello! that's why Guitar Hero has lag-adjust - this won't work for on-line games. If you feel the video is in error (as well as numerous posters and reviewers from sites i'll be happy to link to) - p.m. me and I'll show you how to test yourself. Lets not deny the problem for what ever reason people feel the need to.

My test for GH did not have any lag adjustment set. I can't speak for 69 or other people's setup but I don't see any input lag as bad as shown in those videos. I think inquiring people deserve to know this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor007 View Post

Generally you use the notes on screen to know what to hit, but the music to know WHEN to hit.

But if there is significant input lag then it will cause you to miss even if your timing and reaction is perfect.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 196 Old 04-07-2008, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEarDrum View Post

But if there is significant input lag then it will cause you to miss even if your timing and reaction is perfect.

thanks for the bump

No - "Input lag" is a misnomer. It means some one watching a delayed image will have "input lag" in that they are reacting to delayed images. It doesn't refer to controller / mouse lag. The TV's "output lag" is what's behind "input lag".

So yes, Guitar Hero has a lag-adjust which delays the sound (and game engine?) to match the image delay - everything is fine. No lag.
Unfortunately that won't work with other games (especially on-line games). Here, you can't slow down the game engine and neither can you slow down the guy with the lag-free set

I think you posted some settings to reduce lag which I'll try.
post #185 of 196 Old 04-07-2008, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 74
hey borf any chance you tested the new A650 for input lag as well?
I remeber you saying you tested it for ghosting at a store, any chance you did the same thing for lag?

I noticed the A650 had a split second delay in displaying the picture feed vs the other sets at Best Buy.
Maybe one of the modes on the A650 might reduce the lag where they did nothing for the 71f/69f LCDs.
post #186 of 196 Old 04-07-2008, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post

any chance you tested the new A650 for input lag as well?
Maybe one of the modes on the A650 might reduce the lag where they did nothing for the 71f/69f LCDs.

No but I'm sure if Samsung had taken the time and effort to reduce lag on the new 650/750 they would have publicized it just like Philips and Sharp do.
post #187 of 196 Old 05-22-2008, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

You sound like a Tekken player. Heh, T6 will no longer has 8 frame jabs, but your points are well taken.

I can recommend my HDTV without any hesitation... the Sony SXRD XBR2 (60" or 70"). It is a rear projection set (LCoS technology) so it doesn't have any of the LCD problems mentioned here. It has no significant lag at all when playing techincal precision games like Tekken 5: DR or Guitar Hero, so that won't ever be an issue for you.

It is fully 1080P compliant, unlike the 1080i-input HDTV you mentioned (1080i adds input lag to gaming). The visual image is stunning; the blacks are deep and the colors 'pop' better than almost any other set I've seen. Take it from a fellow fighting game fan... this HDTV will suit all of your stated needs.

Hate to say it but the LCoS big screens have more motion blur than the newre LCDs and are not anywhere near as good as a CRT for games. My best friend has a 65" Sony LCoS projection system (only a few years old). It has an amazing picture but everytime I look at it I see blur on movement.
post #188 of 196 Old 05-22-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:

No but I'm sure if Samsung had taken the time and effort to reduce lag on the new 650/750 they would have publicized it just like Philips and Sharp do.

Samsung DOES advertise it: That's what Entertainment mode does, it removes the processing of special features and feeds direct to the screen drivers with 120 Hz and it DOES remove lag. Still get a little motion blur but not much at all (and I am hypersensitive to motion blur).
post #189 of 196 Old 05-22-2008, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'm pretty much guessing that Sony may or may not have corrected motion blur in their 2008 models so far. I'm wondering if any W4100 owners can confirm or deny that MotionFlow and CineMotion has made motion move better on that over the XBR4.

Living Room: Samsung UN46A750 46" ToC 1080p, Yamaha HTC-6160 AV Receiver, JBL Cinema 480 5.1 Speakers, Magnavox HDD/DVD Recorder, Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD.
Master Bedroom: Sony KDL-55W950B 55" 1080p, Sony HT-XT1 Soundbar, Xbox One, Scientific Atlanta 8300HD
Basement: Toshiba 32TL515U 32" 1080p 3DTV, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Bose Companion II Series 2 2.1 Speakers, Panasonic DMR-EZ28 DVD Recorder
post #190 of 196 Old 05-22-2008, 10:04 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBAHunter View Post

Hate to say it but the LCoS big screens have more motion blur than the newre LCDs and are not anywhere near as good as a CRT for games. My best friend has a 65" Sony LCoS projection system (only a few years old). It has an amazing picture but everytime I look at it I see blur on movement.

Reading some of this thread is big reason why we need new a technology like SED. All of the problems of current display technology, as cited in this thread, would be a thing of past with a technology like SED.
post #191 of 196 Old 10-26-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

this just proves what ive already witnessed with my own eyes..that my 120hz $3500 sony xbr lcd lags behind my 10 yr old sony crt in important areas: LIKE DISPLAYING MOVING OBJECTS.

oh well.

THIS sums up everything for me (yes, gamer).
post #192 of 196 Old 11-27-2008, 12:40 AM

This is all very confusing all I want to know is on the Samsung LN52a750 if you rename the label to PC does it drop the lag to VGA levels where there is none. Or is that just a rumor
post #193 of 196 Old 12-15-2008, 05:50 PM

Brilliant post, and interesting.

People might want to take a look at this, I reviewed the latest top-end 30" LCD monitor, the Dell 3008wfp and found similar problems:
forums.hexus.net/hexus-gaming/153707-dell-3008wfp-monitor-warning-gamers.html
(you'll have to copypaste the link sorry, spambot protection stops me :/ )

I'm thinking of switching to CRT too, but I don't know what to look into, most seems to be discontinued like yours. I've seen a few Viewsonic G90fb-4 graphic design monitors around for pretty good prices, and they are the best I have seen so far (dp/pp 0.21mm) it's really hard to find non-LCD especially in the UK where all the major sites sell nothing but LCD now (ebuyer, dabs, scan, pixmania etc)
post #194 of 196 Old 06-25-2009, 06:49 PM

Hey, I been struggling to get any answers from Samsung or Koambra Canada in regards to my AMP problem. Mine is quite severe. Visit my post and check out my videos (Dark Knight - Bluray - PS3 - Hi Speed HDMI - Sammy LN52A750)

my thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1125054

video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsyKUWcQ48o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMniuterhx0
post #195 of 196 Old 11-06-2010, 09:24 PM

Anyone playing Rock Band 3 or Fable 3 on Xbox 360?

There a huge motion lag or hitch. Turning off AMP does not help with rock band. It helps slightly with Fable 3

The notes will stutter and when singing the text is un-readable.

Time to buy a new TV?
post #196 of 196 Old 01-08-2013, 02:57 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It would be truly awesome if you could do a comparison including Plasma too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page