Master thread for Panasonic plasma not turning on - Page 88 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #2611 of 2627 Old 06-10-2019, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 27
So my son tossed a bouncy ball at our ST50, not hard, and the TV turned off. Now it won't turn back on. If I hold the power button down a bit then let go, I hear the "click" of turning on, then like 3 seconds later I hear the click again and it's off.

Same thing happens if I unplug it and plug it back in.

Any ideas?

EDIT:

After some more investigation, I realized I had a piece of tape over the red power light on the front, and the tv is actually turning on, and I can see the light respond to remote commands. However, there is no pictures or anything. The light blinks 7 times and then stops. Then it keeps doing that over and over, but it does respond to remote like you can see the light blink when I press volume, etc.

Last edited by purbeast; 06-10-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 2627 Old 08-14-2019, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorSkeptic View Post
Just thought I'd post another update:

Three years now running without the bad capacitor. See my previous posts on this thread. I had done the freeze test, uncovering the bad *very tiny* capacitor, then just heated it up with a low power soldering iron while simultaneously pulling on it with a small "pick" tool until it popped off. Never installed the replacement capacitor, although I *did* buy it. Just didn't think I could solder it in without bridging the contact points.

Haven't had any issues since, and TV is used a LOT!! TV is now 8.5 years old.
FIVE YEARS RUNNING now, and no problems with the plasma running *without* the bad *very tiny* capacitor. So I had just removed the one bad capacitor on the fingernail-sized board, and the other "twin" fingernail-sized board continues to run with the original capacitor still there ... without any problems. I thought by now I would've had to open it up again and remove the same *very tiny* capacitor on the 2nd fingernail-sized board...
post #2613 of 2627 Old 08-15-2019, 04:39 AM

John,

Post #2481 : how’s your Panasonic plasma after taking out that capacitor (3 years ago)? Is it still running? Mine’s going on 5 years now without the MC201 capacitor, and the unit is approaching 10 years old total.

But I ran my 27” CRT JVC from Jan 1995 to 2015 every day ... so that’s 20 years ($450 new). This Panasonic plasma was $1200 new and only 10 years now. But at least it’s still working!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2614 of 2627 Old 08-15-2019, 04:52 AM

Looks like this thread has petered out! The last couple of years (2017 and 2018) far fewer posts. People must’ve given up on these plasmas?
post #2615 of 2627 Old 08-24-2019, 12:37 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Got two blinking reds on my 65VT60. Clicks to turn on, then shuts off and two blinkers.

"I love the smell of racing gas in the morning."
www.timadamsphotography.com
post #2616 of 2627 Old 08-24-2019, 04:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAdams View Post
Got two blinking reds on my 65VT60. Clicks to turn on, then shuts off and two blinkers.

According to the ST 50 series troubleshooting guide it's missing the P15V from the P board. It's either not being generated by the P board or the A board made the wrong diagnostic. They say the P is the #1 suspect and the A is the #2 . The P board is the power supply right in the middle and the A board is the one with the jacks.
post #2617 of 2627 Old 08-24-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post
According to the ST 50 series troubleshooting guide it's missing the P15V from the P board. It's either not being generated by the P board or the A board made the wrong diagnostic. They say the P is the #1 suspect and the A is the #2 . The P board is the power supply right in the middle and the A board is the one with the jacks.
I think it's time to replace. I know the fix can be cheap, but I think I'm going to replace it.

post #2618 of 2627 Old 08-24-2019, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAdams View Post
I think it's time to replace. I know the fix can be cheap, but I think I'm going to replace it.
One of the very few VT60's I've seen being a blinker. Model has been very reliable. Make sure it goes to a good home because I agree. Most likely P-board which is good because it's not that expensive. A-Board is the most costly.
post #2619 of 2627 Old 08-24-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Ickles View Post
One of the very few VT60's I've seen being a blinker. Model has been very reliable. Make sure it goes to a good home because I agree. Most likely P-board which is good because it's not that expensive. A-Board is the most costly.
It's available to anyone in the Chicago area who wants to come and get it. Not shipping it anywhere.

post #2620 of 2627 Old 08-25-2019, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
hi,
hope it's fine i post here.

got TH-P58v10M.

3 weeks ago it sounded a nice pop explosion and died, giving 7 blink code.

looking in it, some transistors exploded on the SC board.

ordered & installed replacement SC + SU + SD boards.

turned on the t.v it worked for 30 seconds and turned off, giving the 6 blink code.

disconnected the SS board and turned it on, t.v stays on, green led, black screen.

does replacing SS board will do it ? or it can be the A board or P board as well?

thank you in advance for any insight.
post #2621 of 2627 Old 08-25-2019, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Still rocking my 65vt60 since day 1.

I did replace a board about 5 years ago (13 blinks of death IIRC) but still running strong.
post #2622 of 2627 Old 09-15-2019, 11:48 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi guys, I need some help... my ZT60 was working perfectly this morning, when I finished watching I turn it off as usual. Later when I tried to turn it on again I hear the relay noise (click) as usual but the tv doesn’t turn on and the red light is blinking, 2 red flashing every a few seconds. Any idea what could be the issue?

Thank you!

HT: JVC RS2000 - Panasonic UB900 - SVS PB2000 Sub’s - HD Fury integral 2 - Apple TV 4K - Yamaha YSP-5600. TV Room: Panasonic ZT60\65" - Panasonic BDT500 - Roku Ultra.
Vinyl Listening Room & Stereo System: Technics SE-R1 Stereo Power Amplifier - Technics SB-R1 Ref. Series Speakers - Technics SU-R1 Network Audio Control Player - Technics SL-1200-G TT - Luxman EQ-500 Phono Stage - Phono cartridges: Hana MH/Denon DL-103 & 103R MC - Audio Desk Vinyl Cleaner Pro.
post #2623 of 2627 Old 09-30-2019, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My first post in a great while!

I found a great 2012 TC-P55VT50 in our electronic recycling place and brought it home.

It has the 7 blinks of death.

I think I've isolated the problem to the SC board, but was hoping someone has a link to this particular models troubleshooting guide. I've found similar guides, but want to be sure I've followed the proper procedures before I start buying replacement boards.

Can anyone assist?
post #2624 of 2627 Old 10-18-2019, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hoping people still paying attention to this thread...

I have a Panasonic TC-P65VT50. It has worked like a champ for just shy of 7 years. A few days ago it started doing something that appears to be pretty unique, at least unique in the few forums I’ve found on-line. Admittedly, I haven’t read all 88 pages of this topic, but I’ve perused quite a bit of it.

When I turn the TV on, it works. If it gets past the 3 to 10 minute mark, it’ll work for as long as I want to watch. However, more often than not, in that 3 to 10 minute timeframe, the screen will suddenly display what can best be described as colorized white noise, and the sound goes out. It will stay in that mode for 30-60 seconds, then one of three things will happen. It will shut itself off. Or, it will shut itself off, power back on, and resume displaying the colorized white noise. Or, it will display the message, “An error has been detected and recovered,” it will reset itself and start showing content properly again. If it resumes showing content normally again, the 3 to 10 minute timer kicks back in. If it gets past that timeframe, It’ll work great for the rest of that session. But normally, it if goes all white noisey again… it’s done. One time it reset itself twice, then continued working properly.

While poking around trying to research this issue, I’ve found a number of troubleshooting guides related to 7, 11, 13, blinking error codes. I’m very willing to troubleshoot, and then hopefully send a board out for repair… but with the issue being intermittent, none of the guides I’ve found seem to apply. So I’m kind of hoping one of you more experienced folk will have a guess about the component most likely to be the culprit in this situation.

Any suggestions?

Tom
post #2625 of 2627 Old 10-24-2019, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Summary: Panasonic TC-P65VT50; 3-blink; 3.3v SOS D board (may be A board?); cannot find diagrams online to ID boards on my model tv; online parts suppliers I found do not even list this model TV; haven’t opened it up yet to inspect; Toast?
——————
Wow! Do these things have an end-of-life timer on them????

Like Phredrick42: “I have a Panasonic TC-P65VT50. It has worked like a champ for just shy of 7 years.” Well, maybe 6 years but I haven’t looked for the sales slip yet.

Last night ours would not come on and displayed the 3-blink red light. I unplugged it and tried again a couple of times, and tried holding the power button on the TV >30sec (not sure this does anything). Same results.

I spent over an hour online researching and 3-blink = “3.3v SOS D board.”
But:
found one reference that said 3-blink is ‘A’ board
Found one reference that said 3-blink could be triggered by any board receiving 3.3v
Neither www.shopjimmy.com or www.partstore.com even list this model TV
Cant find online diagram for board placement for this model TV

I wish I had one of these covering my model!: https://www.werbemousepads.de/pdf/10th_Gen_PDP_TG.pdf
If I open it up, I will see how similar my TV is to that training info.

Edit: I did find Panasonic has a lot of parts at https://panasonic.encompass.com/model/MSCTCP65VT50

I haven’t opened it up yet but figure I’m down to doing that and looking for burn marks and swelled caps on any board.
Edit: And measuring voltages at any marked test points under power.

Also considering actually calling Panasonic service and see what they say. Edit: I did and they gave me link to find local repair place. Their line was busy so I posted a message on their website if they could answer question: will it cost more than $150 to repair.

I suspect my next posts will be “how should I dispose of it” and “What should I buy”

To grasp at straws: any suggestions on further troubleshooting or specific data for this model?

Edit: I figure on not risking more than $100 on a DIY repair attempt at this age TV.

FINAL EDIT: I found the correct "service manual" free on a Russian technical forum and registered and downloaded it (im sure im on an NSA list now!). It has schematics and block diagrams and labels various wires Blink 11, Blink 8, etc. But there is NO Blink 3 line I can find. I sent webmail to the Panasonic-designated local repair shop asking if there is any way to get an upper bound for repair cost based on blink description - so far no answer. After mulling it over and considering age, and my time to attempt repair, I put that broken Panny on Facebook marketplace FREE. And I went and bought a new LG OLED C9 65". So I fixed the problem!

Last edited by evofxdwg; 10-26-2019 at 08:57 AM.
post #2626 of 2627 Old 10-25-2019, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just venting at this point.... :)

I know it wasn't the intent... but this got me fired up!...

"Edit: I figure on not risking more than $100 on a DIY repair attempt at this age TV."

I'm 55 years old. I have purchased 4 TV's in my entire life. A 15" RCA when I still lived with my parents. That TV never failed. I think the remote crapped out after a decade or so, then after I got married and purchased a 27" RCA TV, the 15 became relegated to bedroom use, then game console use. The 27" RCA lasted 20'ish years. It actually crapped out, and we purchased a 32" Sony... still CRT... TV. After 6 or 8 years, 2012 to be precise... I decided to bite the bullet and get a new flat panel HD TV. The aforementioned Panasonic plasma. I don't remember what we did with the Sony. We either sold it or gave it to Goodwill... but... the point is I've purchased 3 TV's that... lasted over 20 years, lasted about 20 years... and with the Sony 6+ I don't think any of those TV cost over $500. So I buy a $1800'ish TV and it lasts 6'ish years?!?! And then it's worse that pulling teeth to get any kind of support. That just doesn't sit well.

I really like that damn TV, when it works. It looks a hell a lot better than my son's Samsung LED of about the same age that I'm temporarily using while I figure out what to do.
post #2627 of 2627 Old 10-26-2019, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phredrick42 View Post
I know it wasn't the intent... but this got me fired up!...

"Edit: I figure on not risking more than $100 on a DIY repair attempt at this age TV."

I'm 55 years old. I have purchased 4 TV's in my entire life. A 15" RCA when I still lived with my parents. That TV never failed. I think the remote crapped out after a decade or so, then after I got married and purchased a 27" RCA TV, the 15 became relegated to bedroom use, then game console use. The 27" RCA lasted 20'ish years. It actually crapped out, and we purchased a 32" Sony... still CRT... TV. After 6 or 8 years, 2012 to be precise... I decided to bite the bullet and get a new flat panel HD TV. The aforementioned Panasonic plasma. I don't remember what we did with the Sony. We either sold it or gave it to Goodwill... but... the point is I've purchased 3 TV's that... lasted over 20 years, lasted about 20 years... and with the Sony 6+ I don't think any of those TV cost over $500. So I buy a $1800'ish TV and it lasts 6'ish years?!?! And then it's worse that pulling teeth to get any kind of support. That just doesn't sit well.

I really like that damn TV, when it works. It looks a hell a lot better than my son's Samsung LED of about the same age that I'm temporarily using while I figure out what to do.
That brings back memories! I remember our first RCA TV we got when I was 4 or 5 (1957 or 1958 ). I have no idea how much dad paid for it. No remote, variable tuner to fine-up the channel reception, black and white VHF/UHF, with a set of "rabbit ears". It took my abuse for years as a child. I was the remote control for my parents when they watched. It was put in storage for a few months in a non-conditioned environment, then it went south with mom and I and returned to service. With a few tube changes it lasted till the early 70's. I think a mouse got electrocuted on the circuit board and burned a section so we finally scrapped it.

Yes the new microelectronics age seems to suffer TV's to relatively short lives. And you are right. The $ cost per watched hour seems to have greatly increased. But factor in inflation and I wonder what the result is. And there is no argument on picture and audio fidelity compared to that old B&W set.

Yesterday I put the Panny Plasma on Facebook marketplace FREE and bought an LG 65" C9 OLED - wow! I have not purchased an extended warranty (yet). And im still figuring out the setup with my AV receiver. Wish me luck! If it doesn't work out well in a few years, Im sure I will get the latest Holodeck Immersion system available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page