The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 1072 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 256Likes

post #32131 of 32139 Old 09-11-2019, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Row of Pixels Out

I have a PRO-111FD that has a single row of pixels out. I recently took it to a repair shop to try to get it fixed. They told me one of the chips on the buffer is burned. They said for this particular model of Pioneer plasma, the buffer is permanently attached to the panel, so the whole panel would have to be replaced. They said it would be $800 plus labor, then immediately tried to sell me a new TV. When I went to retrieve my TV yesterday, I asked them if they even opened it up. They said no, and that they just hooked up a device and ran some software to test it. I found that kinda strange that they wouldn't even open it up to see if there was a loose connection or something obvious.

Anyways, I don't know much about what goes on inside of this TV, so can anyone tell me if what they said makes sense?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32132 of 32139 Old 09-11-2019, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gersh76 View Post
I have a PRO-111FD that has a single row of pixels out. I recently took it to a repair shop to try to get it fixed. They told me one of the chips on the buffer is burned. They said for this particular model of Pioneer plasma, the buffer is permanently attached to the panel, so the whole panel would have to be replaced. They said it would be $800 plus labor, then immediately tried to sell me a new TV. When I went to retrieve my TV yesterday, I asked them if they even opened it up. They said no, and that they just hooked up a device and ran some software to test it. I found that kinda strange that they wouldn't even open it up to see if there was a loose connection or something obvious.

Anyways, I don't know much about what goes on inside of this TV, so can anyone tell me if what they said makes sense?
You can download the service manual here. It looks to me like Pioneer refers to its buffer boards as Scan A and Scan B. The two vertically mounted boards all the way to the left.
https://elektrotanya.com/pioneer_pro...wnload.html#dl
I don't see any ribbon cables so they could be right that they are not replaceable.
Here's a video with back off.

Last edited by Test Ickles; 09-11-2019 at 02:31 PM.
post #32133 of 32139 Old 09-11-2019, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gersh76 View Post

You can scoop up a 111fd for a couple of hundred bucks on craigslist and use your current set as a spare for parts if needed.
avsforumrocks likes this.

Sharp Elite PRO-70X5FD (Kuro PRO-171FD) x 2
Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M
Pioneer Kuro PRO-111FD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32134 of 32139 Old 11-13-2019, 11:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Can anyone here provide me with a service menu tutorial on how to deepen the blacks on my pro 101fd signature series? The black levels are looking a little washed out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #32135 of 32139 Old 12-02-2019, 03:27 PM

Liked: 1
Hey all, I've posted in the red tint forum with no reply so I figured I'd ask here. My Pioneer Kuro 151fd is not responding to any commands on the RS232 port, leading me to be unable to open the serial port. Are there any tips for me to fix this? My more detailed post is a copy-paste from the other forum below. Thanks!

Alright well I'm sparking up the Kuro thread after a while so bear with me please. My PRO-151FD has a red tint, like many of your panels, and after seeing it, I cant UN-see it, so here I am, with 30 different tabs open on how to repair the problem. The main issue, however, is not even being able to access the service menu in the first place. I've bought the TREND-net and Startech cables linked at the beginning of multiple threads, and also another completely separate brand, yet no matter what command I send the Kuro, it refuses to respond. I've done a loopback test, so I know the cables are all good (they are all straight cables), I've ensured the baud rate is 9600 on both the Kuro and the PC (and tried others on both ends, including 1200 and 38400), the stop bits are 1, data bits are 8, parity and flow control are set to none as well. There is only one COM port to connect to, so that is the adapter's. I've also tried multiple programs, including Hyperterminal, Putty, Kuro Control, and Kuro Command. Kuro Tables and KuroKal both freeze up when I click connect, KuroControl give timeout errors, Kuro Kapture gives a blank document when setting it to auto, and Kuro Command, Putty, and Hyper Terminal send commands without any response from the Kuro. I've rebooted, reinstalled drivers, tried an XP machine, and I've literally given up. Does anyone here have any ideas for what I can try to get this dang panel into service mode?
post #32136 of 32139 Old 12-04-2019, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna R View Post
Hey all, I've posted in the red tint forum with no reply so I figured I'd ask here. My Pioneer Kuro 151fd is not responding to any commands on the RS232 port, leading me to be unable to open the serial port. Are there any tips for me to fix this? My more detailed post is a copy-paste from the other forum below. Thanks!

Alright well I'm sparking up the Kuro thread after a while so bear with me please. My PRO-151FD has a red tint, like many of your panels, and after seeing it, I cant UN-see it, so here I am, with 30 different tabs open on how to repair the problem. The main issue, however, is not even being able to access the service menu in the first place. I've bought the TREND-net and Startech cables linked at the beginning of multiple threads, and also another completely separate brand, yet no matter what command I send the Kuro, it refuses to respond. I've done a loopback test, so I know the cables are all good (they are all straight cables), I've ensured the baud rate is 9600 on both the Kuro and the PC (and tried others on both ends, including 1200 and 38400), the stop bits are 1, data bits are 8, parity and flow control are set to none as well. There is only one COM port to connect to, so that is the adapter's. I've also tried multiple programs, including Hyperterminal, Putty, Kuro Control, and Kuro Command. Kuro Tables and KuroKal both freeze up when I click connect, KuroControl give timeout errors, Kuro Kapture gives a blank document when setting it to auto, and Kuro Command, Putty, and Hyper Terminal send commands without any response from the Kuro. I've rebooted, reinstalled drivers, tried an XP machine, and I've literally given up. Does anyone here have any ideas for what I can try to get this dang panel into service mode?
If Kuro Tables and KuroCal crashed then you are either selecting the wrong COM port or, a long shot, but I've had this happen before, the TV's serial port is not working. You can remedy this by replacing the main board.

Another possibility for KuroCal and KuroTables locking up is that they both send a couple of commands to the TV right after you click Connect. I suggest using Kuro Command and entering the correct COM port. Issue the qaj command to display the current voltages.

I'm assuming you purchased the adapter and cable from the links that I posted in the first post of my programs threads?

I'd also like to assume that the TV is ON when you are attempting to connect? You are connecting the cable to the TV's serial port and NOT the VGA port right?

Keep in mind that there's really not much you can do regarding red tint on 60 inch Kuros, as they don't offer the same level of tweaking wiggle room to have a noticeable impact on red tint. If the red tint is unbearable, I suggest you relegate the 151fd to daytime viewing and purchase a different set for night time viewing. I sold my red tinted 141fd and replaced it with a 70 inch Sharp Elite and don't regret it one bit. In fact, it's my favorite 1080p set! Yes even over Kuro!

Sharp Elite PRO-70X5FD (Kuro PRO-171FD) x 2
Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M
Pioneer Kuro PRO-111FD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020
post #32137 of 32139 Old Yesterday, 03:33 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna R View Post

Hi Krishna,

What about trying the red-tint removal procedure using this?

https://www.avforums.com/threads/how...emote.1959458/
post #32138 of 32139 Old Yesterday, 05:49 PM

Liked: 1
[quote=Bruno Orfao;58921540]Hi Krishna,

What about trying the red-tint removal procedure using this?

Yeah, I posted about it on the Red-tint thread but not here. That was the code that I had used on IRScrutinizer and an Arduino to try and make my own remote, but I either did it wrong or the TV hates my codes. If I ever buy a Harmony remote, I'll try sending it to Logitech to get a code loaded, but I don't feel like a red tint (even harder to fix on the 151FD) warrants me spending like 30 bucks on a remote. Thanks for the suggestion, though!
post #32139 of 32139 Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 602
You can go near minimum voltage values to get a 60" very dark. Below minimum voltage is fine too. Depending on your panel, the only side effect you'll get is black rain, which you can't see anyway unless you're up in front of the TV.

Other panels get misfires. But they can go away after awhile.

home theater addict
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Elite , Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd , Plasma Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page