151FD Product Brochure

The Official Pioneer 9G Kuro Settings/Issues Thread

The Official 9G Pioneer General Discussion Thread

9G Elite Reviews

D-Nice's Review of the Pro-111FD

Sound and Vision's Review of the Pro-111FD

Ultimate AV's review of the Pro-111FD

CNet's review of the Pro-111FD

It seems I'm the first to get the PRO-151FD in this forum so I figured I'd start the Thread.

First impressions:

Can notice blacker blacks over 5010. It's hard to tell were the bezel ends with the black bars.

Initial start up is set to performance mode.

While in the menu. Very slight buzz when you put your head behind the set. Can't hear it in front at all. Haven't try TV or video yet but I will before I start break-in.

Update regarding buzz:

While running the break-in disc, I do hear a buzz which does change pitch from dark to light screens, light screens higher pitch, but I have to be 2 to 3 feet from the front to hear it and it's the same as my 5010. My DVR box is louder then the buzz.

Not the brightest backlite remote I've seen. It's a little hard to see if the room is very dark.

I like the menus better then the 5010. I didn't care for the windows xp-ish menus in the 5010.

It has a great tool menu that comes up from the bottom during viewing which you can change settings like picture mode and screen size. Here's the post of the picture. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...4&postcount=10

PRO-111FD/151FD Specs:

- High-Definition 1080p Resolution (1920 x 1080p)

- 50”/60" Diagonal Class / 16:9 Wide-Screen Aspect Ratio

- 1080 Progressive Image Reproduction with ability to accept 480i / 480p / 720p / 1080i / and TRUE 1080p 24fps signals

- New Deeper, Intense Blacks for Unmatched Contrast (5x Previous Generation)

- New Thinner Cosmetic Design with ››Elegant Acrylic Bezel

- New, Improved Optimum Mode. Automatically analyses and adjusts audio and video settings according to specific room light conditions and type of light and color. Program content is also monitored and finely adjusted so movies, sports and news are all faithfully reproduced. Includes OSD with status.

- New External Color Sensor

- Room Light Sensor for automatic picture adjustment adjustment

- PureCinema Smooth Film Motion mode to eliminate motion jutter in 3:2 Pulldown (60Hz) providing natural even playback of content created on film

- 4 Independent HDMI 1.3 inputs with HDMI-CEC control and the ability ››to accept 1080p 24/60Hz signal

- Standard 3:2 (60Hz) and Advanced PureCinema with 3:3 Pulldown (72Hz) for accurate playback of film content

- Fully integrated ATSC and NTSC Tuner with Clear QAM

- Home Media Gallery – offering a multimedia experience to enjoy movies, music and photos through an existing home network or USB memory device

- ISFccc Calibration Ready for professional customization of plasma picture according to personal preferences for contrast, tint, color as well as room conditions for both day and nighttime viewing. Includes:

- Independent Gamma Control (R / G / B) for heightened color ––calibration

- V-Chip Parental Control

- Remote Control – Illuminated / Preset Mode / Learning Mode

- New Advanced Redesigned GUI

- A/V Selection Memory – 10 options for viewing preferences: Optimum / Performance / Sports / Movie / PURE / Game / Standard*/ ISF-Day / ISF-Night / ISF-Auto (PC input: only Standard)

- Aspect Ratio Control – 9 positions: Auto* / Full / “Dot by Dot” / Zoom* / Cinema* / 4:3 / Wide* (only for SD) / Wide1* (only for HD) / Wide2* (only for HD) *Except PC signal

- Advanced Picture-in-Picture (4 positions), Picture-side-Picture for use with Home Media Gallery & Broadcast and Still Picture capability

- After-Image Reduction Function

- Orbiter (Off / Mode 1 / Mode 2)

- Auto Size (Off/ Natural / Wide-Zoom)

- Side Mask Detection (Mode 1 – for black side masks / Mode 2 – for black & illustrated side masks)

- Side Mask Brightness Sync (Fixed / Auto)

- Video Pattern (White Bar)

- Game Control Preference (AV Selection: only Game) (Off / On)

- Fine Tune Setting for ultimate picture control of color temperature, noise reduction and color management

- Intelligent Mode (Off / Mode 1 / Mode 2)

- Room Light Sensor & New External Color Sensor (Off / Mode 1 / Mode 2)

See less See more
#32,201 ·
My 2009 151 doesn't get anything that severe. When i first tried lowering voltages beyond 20 levels i would see misfires yes, but it was nothing too bad. Only really saw it on a full black screen. After awhile for some reason it didn't happen anymore. Maybe because more hours got on the panel. But you said your kuros get artifacts no matter what. So maybe it does have something to do with the later 2009 builds being made in a different factory. The most affect i've seen is magenta artifacts when content black level is higher than black. Which is not correct anyway. On proper mastered content with correct black levels, no magenta is there at all. But to fix it all i had to do was raise rstp.

By now to even see a hint of any artifacts i have to put RSTP to 1 and lower SAD past 30 or more levels. And that's easily fixable by raising RSTP.

I haven't tried a reset and i have no plans to.
The 60 inch Kuros that I had experience with had magenta lag when I lowered SAD beyond 15 to 20 ticks. Manifested itself when the picture went from black to normal such as fade ins and what not.

Are you able to access combi mask 10 (scrolling white grid)? If so, can you tell me how bad the magenta lag is when you put RSTP to 1 and lower SAD by 20 to 30 ticks?

I have read that the 2009 60 inch builds are more resistant to tweak/reset but I have never had the opportunity to test that theory.

#32,202 ·
So the inside sticker (the one on the board) is January 2009 and the outside one (the one on the back panel) is March 2009?
Yes.

I understand that when build date is mentioned that means when the panel was put together. Screen, board, other parts, that's the inside sticker. Manufacturing is when the TV is fully completed, packaged and shipped to stores or warehouse. That's outside sticker on the back.

Reactions: makaveddie81
#32,203 ·
The 60 inch Kuros that I had experience with had magenta lag when I lowered SAD beyond 15 to 20 ticks. Manifested itself when the picture went from black to normal such as fade ins and what not.

Are you able to access combi mask 10 (scrolling white grid)? If so, can you tell me how bad the magenta lag is when you put RSTP to 1 and lower SAD by 20 to 30 ticks?

I have read that the 2009 60 inch builds are more resistant to tweak/reset but I have never had the opportunity to test that theory.
That kind of magenta lag i've never gotten.

I never tried any of those patterns. I only touch voltage settings and stay away from other menus and settings to not cause any mistakes.

Those patterns are in panel adjust 2 correct? When i have time i might try to test it out.

#32,204 ·
My 60" Elite Kuro was bought at BB in March of 2009.

It was used several hours, daily for the first two years I had it...Then it sat for almost 6 months and only used a few hours a week due to my work schedule at the time.

Since late 2011, it has been a living/family room TV.

I just started noticing the red tint/push.... It is more noticeable when I turn the the TV on. The screen isn't solid black like it used to be.

It will be our main TV until it is no longer watchable.
We do all our "critical" viewing in the theater room on our JVC NX7.

Our bedroom TV is a Panasonic ST50, 2nd the last generation, and it is by far the best TV I have seen in a long time.... Now I haven't seen any of the new OLED sets in real world setups yet.

I do miss the plasma technology.

#32,205 ·
Yes.

I understand that when build date is mentioned that means when the panel was put together. Screen, board, other parts, that's the inside sticker. Manufacturing is when the TV is fully completed, packaged and shipped to stores or warehouse. That's outside sticker on the back.
Thanks for the info. Still hunting for a 2009 build date 60 inch to play with.

#32,206 ·
That kind of magenta lag i've never gotten.

I never tried any of those patterns. I only touch voltage settings and stay away from other menus and settings to not cause any mistakes.

Those patterns are in panel adjust 2 correct? When i have time i might try to test it out.
Yes. There's three types of masks. Select Combi Mask then navigate to the desired one (10 in this case). Navigate to OFF to turn the mask off.

#32,207 ·
Hi! First post here!

I have long loved my Kuro 9g and recently upgraded my Pioneer sc71 receiver to the Pioneer sc lx704 receiver. Along with the upgrade, went from a 5.1 setup to a 5.2.2 setup. While at best buy, came across an open box Sony A9G 65” for 2100 and bought the TV.

The Sony is scheduled to be delivered next week but concerned I will regret the switch. Has anyone made the jump from 9g to the a9g (or the lg c9/cx)? There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Kuro and wondering if I should just cancel the Sony and enjoy the Kuro.

Primary viewing is cable but often use amazon fire or Apple TV for content.

Thank you for your thoughts/opinions.

#32,208 ·
Hi! First post here!

I have long loved my Kuro 9g and recently upgraded my Pioneer sc71 receiver to the Pioneer sc lx704 receiver. Along with the upgrade, went from a 5.1 setup to a 5.2.2 setup. While at best buy, came across an open box Sony A9G 65” for 2100 and bought the TV.

The Sony is scheduled to be delivered next week but concerned I will regret the switch. Has anyone made the jump from 9g to the a9g (or the lg c9/cx)? There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Kuro and wondering if I should just cancel the Sony and enjoy the Kuro.

Sadly, I went from a PRO-101 Kuro to an LG OLED and I can't get used to it. Sure, HDR stuff wows you but every day content is cold an harsh looking and I'm not talking color temp. Maybe calibration will fix it but the OLED to me is much more LCD like than Plasma like. Look forward to your report.

bob

#32,209 ·
Hi! First post here!

I have my Kuro has my downstairs TV.

In 2018, I added a Sony xbr 900e as an upstairs TV.

For sports, I prefer the Kuro. The motion blur on the Sony is noticeable, at times. Not during a whole game, but every now and then.

I tried various settings, but nothing made it as good as the Kuro.

Actually for any content other than HDR, I still prefer the Kuro.

#32,210 ·
I have been advised that the light pink cotton candy puffs I am seeing on my Pro-111FD might be a power supply issue. So, D-Nice suggested that I “go into the service menu” to check. I have scoured my owner’s manual but fail to find how to get into the “service menu”. Any suggestions? I love this display but this pink cloud in the middle of the screen and also across the top is very distracting. Admittedly, it is only noticeable when the majority of the video content is white. Any other suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks 👍

#32,211 ·
I have been advised that the light pink cotton candy puffs I am seeing on my Pro-111FD might be a power supply issue. So, D-Nice suggested that I “go into the service menu” to check. I have scoured my owner’s manual but fail to find how to get into the “service menu”. Any suggestions? I love this display but this pink cloud in the middle of the screen and also across the top is very distracting. Admittedly, it is only noticeable when the majority of the video content is white. Any other suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks 👍
You need to lower XSUSB and YSUSB via the service menu. They're both at 128 by default, lowering them to around 124 will clear the issue.

You can use my Kuro Command program to access the service menu. The first post in the below thread provides links to the required cable for service menu access and instructions on how to access it.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-plasma-flat-panel-displays/3026292-kuro-command-program.html

Once you're all set up, you need to issue these commands to lower XSUSB and YSUSB to 124:

fay
xsb124
ysb124
fan

#32,212 ·
Hi! First post here!

I sold my Pro111FD last Oct. to make way for the 55 A9G and have regretted it ever since. i could not get the A9G to look as smooth as the Kuro and the Sony had some issues that I wasn't willing to deal with and I returned it. I should have kept the Kuro.

#32,214 ·
You need to lower XSUSB and YSUSB via the service menu. They're both at 128 by default, lowering them to around 124 will clear the issue.

You can use my Kuro Command program to access the service menu. The first post in the below thread provides links to the required cable for service menu access and instructions on how to access it.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-plasma-flat-panel-displays/3026292-kuro-command-program.html

Once you're all set up, you need to issue these commands to lower XSUSB and YSUSB to 124:

fay
xsb124
ysb124
fan
Thanks so much for your reply! I have been distraught over the possibility that my panel might be at the end of it's service, especially considering how great the picture looks when there is a Blue Ray playing or a decent movie. I will try to source the things you have described and give it a go. If I run into problems I hope that you might be able to "talk" me through.

Once again, my thanks! :)

#32,216 ·
Thanks so much for your reply! I have been distraught over the possibility that my panel might be at the end of it's service, especially considering how great the picture looks when there is a Blue Ray playing or a decent movie. I will try to source the things you have described and give it a go. If I run into problems I hope that you might be able to "talk" me through.

Once again, my thanks! :)
I had the sparkles across my Kuro. A local TV repair shop has helped save numerous LKuros in the Tampa Bay area and they replaced all of the boards. I had bought a Sony A1E OLED and had Gregg Loewenn calibrate the Sony and my Kuro Elite 141FD 60". Both look amazing! I've been using a new AT&T TV device to stream content and content looks great on the Kuro.

#32,217 ·
Anyone go from an Elite, either Pro-111fd, Pro-141fd or pro-151fd to a C9 or A8H oled? And how did it handle 720 and 1080 compared to the Elite?
I changed the main TV to the Sony A1E from the Kuro Elite 141. Two completely different viewing experiences with each having their advantages. They were both calibrated by Gregg Loewenn. I use the Apple 4K TV for streaming content on the Sony and a new device from AT&T TV on the Kuro. The local cable company content is, I guess 720, and it looks like crap when compared to streaming devices. Hope this is helpful to you

#32,219 ·
I changed the main TV to the Sony A1E from the Kuro Elite 141. Two completely different viewing experiences with each having their advantages. They were both calibrated by Gregg Loewenn. I use the Apple 4K TV for streaming content on the Sony and a new device from AT&T TV on the Kuro. The local cable company content is, I guess 720, and it looks like crap when compared to streaming devices. Hope this is helpful to you
So are you saying the cable signal looks like crap on the OLED?

#32,220 ·
So are you saying the cable signal looks like crap on the OLED?
Both the picture and audio quality are much improved using the streaming devices when compared to my cable providers equipment. My provider is Spectrum in Tampa. Even the Spectrum app is way better for viewing the same programming than over the traditional cable box