The Official Pioneer 9G Kuro Settings/Issues Thread - Page 375 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 57Likes

post #11221 of 11249 Old 03-15-2020, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma M. View Post
I just picked up a Elite Pro 101fd which is Pioneers flagship Kuro model with 2500 original hours on it for $90 from a 80 year old man who had it in his bedroom and rarely used it. He just wanted it removed so he could put up some art. Hell of a score!

That is a score! I didn't do quite as well but am satisfied to have recently picked up a 6020 for $130, tax included, from a local second-hand store. Can't tell how many hours are on the panel but I see no red shift or any other problem.

Honestly, given how cheap OLEDs are getting, our "scores" are really just reasonable deals. I can't justify paying $200 for a 12 year old panel that could blow out at any moment when, before long, OLEDs will be approaching $500 and come with warranties. With the 2020 OLEDs almost here, and with three new competitors entering the market here in the U.S., there should be a lot of downward pressure on prices. Particularly if one is willing to pull the trigger at the right moment on a 2019 model. Or wait until Black Friday.

I doubt we'll be down to $500 by then or anywhere close. But I'll bet we'll be below $1,000. If one buys through Costco with the right credit card, there's at least a four-year warranty. Sometimes longer. Currently 7 years, though the prices on the 55 inch LG C9 are still around $1,350. No one with any sense is buying at that price though, with the CX about to emerge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11222 of 11249 Old 03-16-2020, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Williams View Post
Hi

my mates pdp-lx6090 has the magenta sparkle issue. Minly on the top 1/3 of the screen

I have a service remote. Could I have some help with which voltage changes can be made to minimise this issue.

Many thanks in advance

Mike
Lower both XSUSB and YSUSB by two to four ticks each... both are on the second page of the voltage adjustments

Sharp Elite PRO-70X5FD (Kuro PRO-171FD) x 2
Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M
Pioneer Kuro PRO-111FD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020
post #11223 of 11249 Old 03-16-2020, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by First XBR View Post
Need red tint removal for 101fd & 151fd. Calibration for 65hx950 as well. Southern California. Thanks. If anyone does this or knows someone please message.
Your screen name looks familiar... I think I've worked on your Kuros before.

Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M
Pioneer Kuro PRO-111FD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11224 of 11249 Old 03-16-2020, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You did. A 5020fd which I sold to a family member. I have a 101fd with only one hdmi working, marantz hdmi splitter fixed that. But the red tint needs a fix & 151fd has red tint and chip on the glass but you can’t see the chip. The red tint you can. Do you do calibration ? 65hx950 surely can be better than it is now.
post #11225 of 11249 Old 03-17-2020, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by First XBR View Post
You did. A 5020fd which I sold to a family member. I have a 101fd with only one hdmi working, marantz hdmi splitter fixed that. But the red tint needs a fix & 151fd has red tint and chip on the glass but you can’t see the chip. The red tint you can. Do you do calibration ? 65hx950 surely can be better than it is now.
Check PMs.

Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M
Pioneer Kuro PRO-111FD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020
post #11226 of 11249 Old 03-21-2020, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Need Help With My PRO-151FD

I have a 151 that I just moved from my living room to my bedroom. During the transition time, it was unplugged for a couple weeks. Once I hooked it up in the bedroom and turned it on, I saw a message on the screen that said "Starting Up, Please Wait." It was in a gray box at the bottom center of the screen and had a yellow exclamation point in the box. The message disappeared after a minute or so, but I've noticed now that when I press the home key on the remote to bring up the menu options, most everything is grayed out (Channel, Favorites, Input, Home Media Gallery, HDMI control). "Setup" is not grayed out, but when I select that option, I only have access to Picture, Sound, Power Control, Sleep Timer, and Option. System Setup and Favorites Setup are both grayed out. If I move the cursor over one of the grayed out options, the message below says "Current status does not allow selection and adjustment."

The TV seems to still work fine with the exception of the "Starting Up, Please Wait." message being occasionally displayed upon turning the TV on and also sometimes when changing inputs, even after the TV has been on for a while. The blue light on the front is always solid when the 151 is on (no blinking). I've tried performing multiple resets (pulling power cord, holding on/standby button for 15 seconds after plugging back in, etc.), but nothing has changed. I thought maybe the firmware needed to be updated (unfortunately because most of my menu items are grayed out, I'm unable to see what version is currently loaded). I went ahead and downloaded the firmware from Pioneer's website and followed their update instructions. It seemed like it was working, but then I noticed the orange light was blinking twice during the process, which according to Pioneer's instructions means that the firmware that's currently on the TV is the same or newer than what I was trying to update it with.

I'm pretty much out of ideas at this point. Has anyone else had this problem? FYI, the only sources connected to it are my Directv receiver via HDMI 4 and my Roku Express via HDMI 5. I am using the optical digital out to feed my soundbar. There is no antenna hooked up to the 151 (nor was there one hooked up to it prior to moving it to the bedroom).

Thanks

Last edited by Skillet; 03-21-2020 at 07:14 AM.
post #11227 of 11249 Old 03-22-2020, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 707 Post(s)
Liked: 209
My KRP-600M has been turned off for about 6 months, while my appartment where it was in, was on sale. Now it is sold, and i moved the furniture etc and the tv to my new (temporary) house. Last weekend i installed it again. Everything seems fine, but i noticed that for some reason, the tv suddenly somtimes goes to standby on it's own... happened yesterday a few times, today again, after been on for almost 7 hours or so.

What could it be? Is it dying?
I noticed the remote that i never use but is lying around at the moment, has almost empty batteries, could it be it is sending IR rubbish for some reason? I removed the batteries now just in case.

Arcam AVR850 • Pioneer KURO KRP-600M • KEF Reference Model 4/2/200c •• Velodyne DD15 •• HDI Dune 4K Solo • Logitech Squeezebox Radio/Duet • Wyrewizard Dreamcaster & Spellbinder (by Nordost) • JVC D-ILA-X7500 • HDFury Vertex
post #11228 of 11249 Old 03-23-2020, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillet View Post
I have a 151 that I just moved from my living room to my bedroom. During the transition time, it was unplugged for a couple weeks. Once I hooked it up in the bedroom and turned it on, I saw a message on the screen that said "Starting Up, Please Wait." It was in a gray box at the bottom center of the screen and had a yellow exclamation point in the box. The message disappeared after a minute or so, but I've noticed now that when I press the home key on the remote to bring up the menu options, most everything is grayed out (Channel, Favorites, Input, Home Media Gallery, HDMI control). "Setup" is not grayed out, but when I select that option, I only have access to Picture, Sound, Power Control, Sleep Timer, and Option. System Setup and Favorites Setup are both grayed out. If I move the cursor over one of the grayed out options, the message below says "Current status does not allow selection and adjustment."

The TV seems to still work fine with the exception of the "Starting Up, Please Wait." message being occasionally displayed upon turning the TV on and also sometimes when changing inputs, even after the TV has been on for a while. The blue light on the front is always solid when the 151 is on (no blinking). I've tried performing multiple resets (pulling power cord, holding on/standby button for 15 seconds after plugging back in, etc.), but nothing has changed. I thought maybe the firmware needed to be updated (unfortunately because most of my menu items are grayed out, I'm unable to see what version is currently loaded). I went ahead and downloaded the firmware from Pioneer's website and followed their update instructions. It seemed like it was working, but then I noticed the orange light was blinking twice during the process, which according to Pioneer's instructions means that the firmware that's currently on the TV is the same or newer than what I was trying to update it with.

I'm pretty much out of ideas at this point. Has anyone else had this problem? FYI, the only sources connected to it are my Directv receiver via HDMI 4 and my Roku Express via HDMI 5. I am using the optical digital out to feed my soundbar. There is no antenna hooked up to the 151 (nor was there one hooked up to it prior to moving it to the bedroom).

Thanks
The "Starting Up, Please Wait" message is completely normal on the 111fd and 151fd, as those models take a bit longer to boot up and initialize (probably due to the additional built in features like the tuner, sound, etc.). Wait approximately 30 seconds before pressing any button on the remote. The reason some items are grayed out is because they hadn't yet initialized when you hit the Home button on the remote. They should become visible after the unit properly boots up so long as you have a device connected and displaying content on the current HDMI input.

In short, my advice is to restart the TV, wait 30 seconds, switch to an input that has a device connected to it and displaying content and then and only then hit the Menu button on the remote. All options should be visible.

Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M
Pioneer Kuro PRO-111FD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020
post #11229 of 11249 Old 03-23-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveddie81 View Post
The "Starting Up, Please Wait" message is completely normal on the 111fd and 151fd, as those models take a bit longer to boot up and initialize (probably due to the additional built in features like the tuner, sound, etc.). Wait approximately 30 seconds before pressing any button on the remote. The reason some items are grayed out is because they hadn't yet initialized when you hit the Home button on the remote. They should become visible after the unit properly boots up so long as you have a device connected and displaying content on the current HDMI input.

In short, my advice is to restart the TV, wait 30 seconds, switch to an input that has a device connected to it and displaying content and then and only then hit the Menu button on the remote. All options should be visible.
Thanks, but unfortunately I’ve tried that many times. The options are grayed out no matter how long I wait after startup. Also, the “starting up, please wait” message sometimes appears when changing inputs after the TV has been on for a while. It always goes away after a minute or so, but I don’t think it should be coming on at all after the TV has been running for more than a few minutes.

I’ve had a couple people suggest that there may be an issue with the TV’s main board. It doesn’t sound like it’s a complicated DIY fix to replace it, but I don’t think I’ll do that unless things get worse than they currently are. One tech recommended re-initializing the set to see if that corrected the problem, but said he was prohibited by Pioneer from telling me exactly how to do it. He said to download a copy of the service manual and it would explain it there. I found a service manual online, but it mainly details parts of the TV. I didn’t see anything that talked about how to initialize it. If anyone is able to walk me through that, I’d greatly appreciate it.
post #11230 of 11249 Old 03-23-2020, 04:56 PM

Can someone help with another issue. I think this one is probably simple but I can't seem to figure it out.

The TV is talking to me. Every time I hit a button, there's this monotonic robot voice describing what I'm doing. How did it get turned on and how do I turn it off? Probably hit a wrong button on the remote control but can't seem to figure it out. Thanks.
post #11231 of 11249 Old 03-24-2020, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillet View Post
Thanks, but unfortunately I’ve tried that many times. The options are grayed out no matter how long I wait after startup. Also, the “starting up, please wait” message sometimes appears when changing inputs after the TV has been on for a while. It always goes away after a minute or so, but I don’t think it should be coming on at all after the TV has been running for more than a few minutes.

I’ve had a couple people suggest that there may be an issue with the TV’s main board. It doesn’t sound like it’s a complicated DIY fix to replace it, but I don’t think I’ll do that unless things get worse than they currently are. One tech recommended re-initializing the set to see if that corrected the problem, but said he was prohibited by Pioneer from telling me exactly how to do it. He said to download a copy of the service manual and it would explain it there. I found a service manual online, but it mainly details parts of the TV. I didn’t see anything that talked about how to initialize it. If anyone is able to walk me through that, I’d greatly appreciate it.
The service manual for the 111 and 151 is not nearly as informative as the 101fd/500M or the 5020/6020 one for that matter. I recommend downloading the 5020/6020 since those models are similar to the 151fd.

Do you have the necessary software/hardware to access the service menu?

None of my sets display the "starting up please wait" message when changing inputs, so that's definitely weird.

Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M
Pioneer Kuro PRO-111FD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020
post #11232 of 11249 Old 03-24-2020, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallax982 View Post
Can someone help with another issue. I think this one is probably simple but I can't seem to figure it out.

The TV is talking to me. Every time I hit a button, there's this monotonic robot voice describing what I'm doing. How did it get turned on and how do I turn it off? Probably hit a wrong button on the remote control but can't seem to figure it out. Thanks.
You sure its the TV talking to you? lol
12voltguys and Bruce2019 like this.

Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M
Pioneer Kuro PRO-111FD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020
post #11233 of 11249 Old 03-24-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
The service manual for the 111 and 151 is not nearly as informative as the 101fd/500M or the 5020/6020 one for that matter. I recommend downloading the 5020/6020 since those models are similar to the 151fd.

Do you have the necessary software/hardware to access the service menu?

None of my sets display the "starting up please wait" message when changing inputs, so that's definitely weird.
No hardware/software here. Do you have to have a special service remote or something along that line? I was hoping there was just a series of commands I could hit on the regular remote that would get me in to the service menu to reinitialize the set.
post #11234 of 11249 Old 03-24-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
You sure its the TV talking to you? lol

Man, I got the notification that someone had responded and I thought it was to answer my question. Bummer!
post #11235 of 11249 Old 03-24-2020, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Man, I got the notification that someone had responded and I thought it was to answer my question. Bummer!
Sorry but never heard of this issue, let alone knew this was a feature. What model Kuro do you have?

Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M
Pioneer Kuro PRO-111FD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020
post #11236 of 11249 Old 03-24-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Sorry but never heard of this issue, let alone knew this was a feature. What model Kuro do you have?
I have the 6020. Thanks.
post #11237 of 11249 Old 03-26-2020, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have the 6020. Thanks.
I went through all the settings on my 5020, user manual and remote buttons and can't find anything related to a voice feedback feature. Perhaps a nearby smart device is the culprit?

Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M
Pioneer Kuro PRO-111FD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020
post #11238 of 11249 Old 03-26-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I went through all the settings on my 5020, user manual and remote buttons and can't find anything related to a voice feedback feature. Perhaps a nearby smart device is the culprit?

Thank you! I so appreciate the effort! Went through my manual with the same result. Funny that this television that I love has turned into a big pain but I'm sure I'll get this figured out. Will post again when I do.
post #11239 of 11249 Old 03-26-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:

Figured it out. Indeed, a smart device was the culprit. It was my Fire Stick. Once I began looking in that direction, was easy to resolve. Thanks for the suggestion!
makaveddie81 likes this.
post #11240 of 11249 Old 03-26-2020, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Figured it out. Indeed, a smart device was the culprit. It was my Fire Stick. Once I began looking in that direction, was easy to resolve. Thanks for the suggestion!
Good thing it wasn't voices in your head lol jk

Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M
Pioneer Kuro PRO-111FD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020
post #11241 of 11249 Old 03-26-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Good thing it wasn't voices in your head lol jk
It has a decidedly different tone! :0)
post #11242 of 11249 Old 04-01-2020, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a PRO-111FD that I purchased new basically at the end of their availability. It has been a true pleasure up until recently. For the last few months I have noticed a red or dark pink cotton candy-like smear on the screen. It has gotten more visible over time but is only noticeable when the screen is showing a mostly white background. BTW, D-Nice calibrated it for me in February of 2106. He definitely lived up to his outstanding reputation! Does anyone know if this can be fixed?
post #11243 of 11249 Old 04-02-2020, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabLuvr View Post
I have a PRO-111FD that I purchased new basically at the end of their availability. It has been a true pleasure up until recently. For the last few months I have noticed a red or dark pink cotton candy-like smear on the screen. It has gotten more visible over time but is only noticeable when the screen is showing a mostly white background. BTW, D-Nice calibrated it for me in February of 2106. He definitely lived up to his outstanding reputation! Does anyone know if this can be fixed?
Sounds like the usual VSUS Problem..

I am not a Pioneer owner.. but if you can increase VSUS voltage, give it a try..

2013 Panasonic TX-P42X60E PDP
2013 Panasonic TX-P42STW60 PDP
ST60 Settings: Custom Mode, Contrast 60 = 100nits peak brightness aka Filmmaker Mode, Panel Brightness Medium
Gamma 2.4, Gamma settings: 10% -30, 80% +3
post #11244 of 11249 Old 04-20-2020, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabLuvr View Post
Lower XSUSB and YSUSB by 3 ticks (or more, go in one tick decrements).

Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M
Pioneer Kuro PRO-111FD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020
post #11245 of 11249 Old 06-06-2020, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 145
I calibrated my krp 500m isf day came out great ,avg grayscale error was 1.0 and color was 1.1 de ,gamma is 2.2
night mode I calibrated to 30 fl ,grayscale was even better at 0.8 average error ,color was 1.0 avg error ,when I try to calibrate this to 2.4 gamma I can get the greyscale close at all ,if I calibrate to 2.2 its dead on .am I doing something wrong ?

greatone99
post #11246 of 11249 Old 06-07-2020, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Scurrah View Post
I calibrated my krp 500m isf day came out great ,avg grayscale error was 1.0 and color was 1.1 de ,gamma is 2.2
night mode I calibrated to 30 fl ,grayscale was even better at 0.8 average error ,color was 1.0 avg error ,when I try to calibrate this to 2.4 gamma I can get the greyscale close at all ,if I calibrate to 2.2 its dead on .am I doing something wrong ?
My PRO-111FD was also calibrated with a 2.2 gamma. I was told that Kuros track better with 2.2 gamma. By the way, my TV is still great after being used for over 11 years now. No issues with red tint.

My Gear: Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-111FD, Oppo BDP-103, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Streaming Stick+, Emotiva XMC-1 Processor (5.2 Setup), Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2 Amp, (4) GoldenEar Aon 2 Speakers, (1) GoldenEar SuperCenter X, (2) SVS SB-1000 Subs, Logitech Harmony 900 Universal Remote, and Furman Elite-15 PFi Power Conditioner
Computer Audio System: AudioQuest DragonFly Red DAC, AudioQuest JitterBug, Audeze LCD-X Headphones, and Audiofly AF180 In-Ear Monitors
post #11247 of 11249 Old 06-08-2020, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As dwa247, Kuros track better with 2.2 gamma and need little to no adjustment to gamma to get a linear 2.2 gamma.

I've found that adjusting some but not all of the gamma points messes up the grayscale tracking even more. If you adjust all points by the same amount and same direction, the grayscale tracking is preserved. So you might want to try that and see if the gamma lines up to 2.4.
Dave Scurrah likes this.

Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M
Pioneer Kuro PRO-111FD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020
post #11248 of 11249 Old 06-08-2020, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 145
I figured it out, it was off because the control cal timed out and my Calman was reading standard mode ,I got a flat 2.4 for nightmode some of the gamma points were reduced to minus 2 to line it up . boy day mode can get bright on these tv ,mine is 52 ftlamberts or 179 nits ,night mode 29 ft lamberts . mine had the red tint 2 years ago ,I lowered the voltages ,its close to oled black . the only thing I noticed the setting r very course on the 500m ,1 click the wrong way and its off by a lot . can let go of it . I do have an a9g oled but the kuro can give it a run for its money in sdr
makaveddie81 likes this.

greatone99
post #11249 of 11249 Old 06-08-2020, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I figured it out, it was off because the control cal timed out and my Calman was reading standard mode ,I got a flat 2.4 for nightmode some of the gamma points were reduced to minus 2 to line it up . boy day mode can get bright on these tv ,mine is 52 ftlamberts or 179 nits ,night mode 29 ft lamberts . mine had the red tint 2 years ago ,I lowered the voltages ,its close to oled black . the only thing I noticed the setting r very course on the 500m ,1 click the wrong way and its off by a lot . can let go of it . I do have an a9g oled but the kuro can give it a run for its money in sdr
I highly recommend you try my KuroCal program as a replacement. You won't have to fumble between different profiles/windows to access gamma controls since ALL ISF controls are in the same window (including ALL gamma points). In fact, it doesn't need profiles - it supports ALL KUROS out of the box, including the KRP model "patch". Further, it can copy your ISF settings to all inputs with one click of a button and is much more user friendly and intuitive. Best of all, it's FREE! Once more thing - it allows you to tinker with the service menu grayscale settings, which provide greater precision.

Here's a link to the thread and download for KuroCal:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-p...l-program.html

Here's a thread that includes links to all my Kuro programs, which are all free:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-p...-programs.html
dsskid likes this.

Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M
Pioneer Kuro PRO-111FD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page