09 Samsung B series "buzz" thread [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: does yours buzz and do you care
it buzzes and it bothers me at my main viewing location 1 33.33%
it buzzes slightly, not noticeable at my main viewing location, not worried 1 33.33%
sometimes i hear a buzzing at my main viewing location, sometimes i don't, not worried 1 33.33%
it does not buzz at all 0 0%
other, please describe 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 3454 Old 05-07-2009, 10:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by seowfun View Post

I also noticed that the buzzing is much more audible when I am right in front of the screen, even if I'm more than 10 feet away. There is a height where the buzzing is loudest as well. Unfortunately, that's the ideal viewing location for me. I don't know whether my set is bad, or it's normal for these sets to have such loud buzz. My thought is it's normal for this TV. In this case, it's a deal breaker. After watching the TV for a while, I felt so relieve when it's off because of the buzzing.

This is exactly what I have. I actually turn it very slightly to the left or right to project the buzzing away from me a little. I can't imagine how bad the 63" inch. i am guessing the bigger the worse the buzzing is.

JDM World: https://www.youtube.com/jdmworld
GSG Full Marty Build: https://youtu.be/-U1deD_0j9c
UM18-22 Sealed Subwoofer Build: https://youtu.be/7ifac8Rh8gk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 3454 Old 05-08-2009, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by discopaul View Post

Oh ohhh. Should I also expect top see a blotching and dirty screen threads and polls?

Samsungs are too cheap for anyone to care.
post #33 of 3454 Old 05-09-2009, 01:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasveteran View Post

Wow another elitist and from Texas!
What display do you watch?
Washington veteran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 3454 Old 05-09-2009, 01:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasveteran View Post

No, more like the Sammies are better built. You'll never find a 6000 page threads on those topics.
post #35 of 3454 Old 05-09-2009, 01:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolanski View Post

Wow another elitist and from Texas!
What display do you watch?
Washington veteran

He's a kuro guy who's had to make exchanges due to quality issues. I'm sure everytime he's at a BestBuy a little voice tells him, I coulda had a Sammy!
post #36 of 3454 Old 05-09-2009, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Mine, on a scale of 1-10, I give my set a 1 and can only be heard from the rear of it and head inches away. b650
post #37 of 3454 Old 05-09-2009, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2240 Post(s)
Liked: 3492
This is a great thread as I am very interested in the B560. But if the new Samsungs have buzzing issues than I might stay with Panasonic. But my Panny TH-50PH9UK does have slight fan noise though. I sit dead center 8' away and by the posts here it sounds like that is where the buzz would be the loudest. I do not want to buy the B560, change the wall mount and then have an issue with the B560 buzzing.

Is there a difference when the Samsungs are wall mounted opposed to being on a stand further away from the wall? Does it seem like the buzz is radiating of the glass rather than from the rear of the panel? Could it possibly be from the speakers (wishful thinking)? Has anyone returned their panel due to the buzzing issue? If I did buy the B560 I would make sure it was noted on the invoice that if there is an issue with buzzing I can return it.

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #38 of 3454 Old 05-09-2009, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

This is a great thread as I am very interested in the B560. But if the new Samsungs have buzzing issues than I might stay with Panasonic. But my Panny TH-50PH9UK does have slight fan noise though. I sit dead center 8' away and by the posts here it sounds like that is where the buzz would be the loudest. I do not want to buy the B560, change the wall mount and then have an issue with the B560 buzzing.

Is there a difference when the Samsungs are wall mounted opposed to being on a stand further away from the wall? Does it seem like the buzz is radiating of the glass rather than from the rear of the panel? Could it possibly be from the speakers (wishful thinking)? Has anyone returned their panel due to the buzzing issue? If I did buy the B560 I would make sure it was noted on the invoice that if there is an issue with buzzing I can return it.

Bill

my 560 is on a stand about 10-12 inches away from the back wall, and i sit between 6 and 7.5 feet away. the very very slight buzzing that i sometimes hear does not bother me at all. i love this display.

Nearfield rig: Laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X -> Pioneer SP-BS22-LR & SW8-mk2Headphone rig: laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X speaker taps -> modded AKG Q701H.T.: PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50's - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik SentinelMy last.fm profile
post #39 of 3454 Old 05-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

The buzzing I'm referring to definitely comes from the front of the panel, and is highly directional. As I understand it, all Plasmas create this sound, some more than others. (See 50 page Kuro buzzing thread) I'm getting used to mine, though I also try not to sit directly in front of it now.
post #40 of 3454 Old 05-11-2009, 12:25 PM

my B series is going back tonight........loud buzz and pink whites
I'll try another one,this must be a defective set
post #41 of 3454 Old 05-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

What size is it? So far only 58's and 63's have had signifigant issues. I am thinking of opening a service ticket with Samsung to see what they can do.

post #42 of 3454 Old 05-11-2009, 09:55 PM

PN50B550 and it is significant from any distance at any location. If you put your ear to the back of it, near the air holes at the top of the metal case, it seems to be coming from the internal electronics.
I would be happy to hear if someone opens a service ticket.
post #43 of 3454 Old 05-11-2009, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Looks like we can add 50" to the mix now too. I am very close to opening a ticket with Samsung.

post #44 of 3454 Old 05-12-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Tebo View Post

For those who don't hear any buzzing - do me a favor and try this. Pace off exactly 12 feet in front of the TV, and position your noggin so it is square in the middle of the TV, so you would be able to see your reflection exactly in the middle. Turn the volume all the way off, with the TV on a normal channel, and tell me if you can hear any buzzing. Then move to the side a few feet, and try again. I can't imagine my hearing is all that great, and that my TV is any different than the others. Also let me know if you have a 50" or 58", as that seems to effect it.

Why the hell would anybody do this????.. Why should anybody try to locate a buzz that they initially dont hear? And maybe suddenly start to pick up on it.. That is when you start iritating you about it...

I will tell you all that buzzing from plasma tv is just normal. It can be several reason for the buzz.. If the buzz is as load that you can hear it from a viewing distance using normal level volume.. Then, call samsung - you have a problem!!!! If not, dont bother iritating you about it. If the buzz comes from the back of the set, try titen some screews or something

Jens
post #45 of 3454 Old 05-13-2009, 08:50 AM

well my second set buzzes just as much as the first and quite frankly the pq is not very good (this one has a good deal of banding issues).......I'm returning this Samsung and I'm going to try something else
post #46 of 3454 Old 05-13-2009, 08:55 AM

I have been in touch with Samsung about the buzz and have had a 3rd party repair place out to listen to it. They have ordered a new panel from Samsung and are doing the replacement next Wednesday. I will update after the replacement.
post #47 of 3454 Old 05-13-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelersfan1 View Post

well my second set buzzes just as much as the first and quite frankly the pq is not very good (this one has a good deal of banding issues).......I'm returning this Samsung and I'm going to try something else

Which model do you have?
post #48 of 3454 Old 05-13-2009, 09:10 AM

My 58PB650 buzzes. I didn't notice it at first, but noticed it after hooking up my surround sound. And now I can't help but listen for it.
post #49 of 3454 Old 05-13-2009, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrkur View Post

My 58PB650 buzzes. I didn't notice it at first, but noticed it after hooking up my surround sound. And now I can't help but listen for it.

Hmm, that sounds like classic grounding issues in your connections. If the buzz was panel specific, you would have heard it without a surround hook up.
post #50 of 3454 Old 05-13-2009, 12:26 PM

I can hear it comming from the TV and it goes away when I turn just the TV off.
post #51 of 3454 Old 05-13-2009, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchingf1 View Post

I have been in touch with Samsung about the buzz and have had a 3rd party repair place out to listen to it. They have ordered a new panel from Samsung and are doing the replacement next Wednesday. I will update after the replacement.

That's great to hear - definitely keep us updated. As I had mentioned before, I had a tech that came out and told me mine was normal, but he didn't really sit in the middle position to hear it.
post #52 of 3454 Old 05-15-2009, 03:44 PM

exchanged the second Samsung for a Panasonic G10 and WOW what a difference
the Panasonic is quiet and the whites are actually white,THX mode is incredible for blu rays
good luck to you guys and thanks for the info while I was a Sammy owner
post #53 of 3454 Old 05-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

What size did you get? I'm starting to look at other options myself, but really like the big screen size, and PQ for that matter on my Sammy.
post #54 of 3454 Old 05-15-2009, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just ordered a 54 g10, hopefully it's as good as my other panasonic I've had for years. I'm really sad this tv didn't work out, I really liked it (minus the buzzing). Good luck all.
post #55 of 3454 Old 05-16-2009, 11:25 PM

My 58B650 has a loud irratating buzz. It is the set. I unplugged everything except the set, and muted the tv's speakers. The buzz is coming from both upper left and right rear of the set. It is loudest sitting in front of the set, but isn't that where you are supposed to sit? I tried 2 different power strips, on 2 different circuits (on different breakers) and checked the grounding with a circuit tester. I'll be calling Samsung on Monday. If they can't/won't fix it I am sending it back. In this day and age no tv should have an electrical induced buzz. And I will not put foam or curtains behind the set.
post #56 of 3454 Old 05-16-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseike View Post

Why the hell would anybody do this????.. Why should anybody try to locate a buzz that they initially dont hear? And maybe suddenly start to pick up on it.. That is when you start iritating you about it...

I will tell you all that buzzing from plasma tv is just normal. It can be several reason for the buzz.. If the buzz is as load that you can hear it from a viewing distance using normal level volume.. Then, call samsung - you have a problem!!!! If not, dont bother iritating you about it. If the buzz comes from the back of the set, try titen some screews or something

Jens

It is not loose screws. It is electrical buzzing coming off the circuit boards.
post #57 of 3454 Old 05-17-2009, 07:16 AM

PN59B550. No buzz. Had wife, kids, and a friend listen. No buzz. Whites are WHITE. PQ is incredible. I'm not trying to be a smart ass here, honestly. I love this TV. I have a neighbor that has the PN58B650 and there is no buzz on his either. Can't see any difference in PQ by the way. I don't know maybe we are the two exceptions to the rule.
post #58 of 3454 Old 05-17-2009, 08:25 AM

PN58B650 here, I initially voted for no buzz, since I didn't have any during the burn in process using images on a Flash/thumb drive. Once that was over and I hooked up the dish to watch regular content, I heard the buzz. It is fairly loud and can be heard when going to breaks, like when sound fades for commercials etc... but not heard at regular volume over the broadcast content. It is the same now, if I play the burn in images from the USB, nothing, as soon as I switch to the HDMI and sat tv it's there. What concerns me more, is there is some "banding" going on when I watch content with a lot of graphics, such as sports. I assume the term is "banding", it's like even if the graphic stops there is a ghost of a line that continues on thru out the width of the screen. I'll have to go back thru some threads to see if this is the correct term or if others have had this as well. I hope I don't have to return it, I really like the color, seems very accurate and the blacks seem fine to this plasma novice. I do also love the overall design/look of the Sammy but of course the content is what matters.
post #59 of 3454 Old 05-17-2009, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid_kid View Post

PN58B650 here, I initially voted for no buzz, since I didn't have any during the burn in process using images on a Flash/thumb drive. Once that was over and I hooked up the dish to watch regular content, I heard the buzz. It is fairly loud and can be heard when going to breaks, like when sound fades for commercials etc... but not heard at regular volume over the broadcast content. It is the same now, if I play the burn in images from the USB, nothing, as soon as I switch to the HDMI and sat tv it's there. What concerns me more, is there is some "banding" going on when I watch content with a lot of graphics, such as sports. I assume the term is "banding", it's like even if the graphic stops there is a ghost of a line that continues on thru out the width of the screen. I'll have to go back thru some threads to see if this is the correct term or if others have had this as well. I hope I don't have to return it, I really like the color, seems very accurate and the blacks seem fine to this plasma novice. I do also love the overall design/look of the Sammy but of course the content is what matters.

line bleeding maybe? if so i have seen it to. from what i have gathered it's just a plasma thing in general. nothing is perfect.

Nearfield rig: Laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X -> Pioneer SP-BS22-LR & SW8-mk2Headphone rig: laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X speaker taps -> modded AKG Q701H.T.: PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50's - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik SentinelMy last.fm profile
post #60 of 3454 Old 05-18-2009, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_99 View Post

It is not loose screws. It is electrical buzzing coming off the circuit boards.

I wonder if isolating the circuit boards from their mounts on the back of the panel with some rubber washers would reduce the buzzing? Anyone daring enough to try?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page