09 Samsung B series "buzz" thread [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 59 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: does yours buzz and do you care
it buzzes and it bothers me at my main viewing location 1 33.33%
it buzzes slightly, not noticeable at my main viewing location, not worried 1 33.33%
sometimes i hear a buzzing at my main viewing location, sometimes i don't, not worried 1 33.33%
it does not buzz at all 0 0%
other, please describe 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1741 of 3454 Old 10-24-2009, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders66 View Post

samsung called me last night and said the panel was causeing the buzz so they orded me a new one but they said it was on back orded so the are going to replace the tv with a new one its the pn63b550 do all of them buzz or is it the luck of the draw also should i try to get a lcd insted of the plazma will they let me do that

I have a PN63550 that's a buzzer, well I should say it was a buzzer.

Went something like this...

- Out of the box, buzz but not out of control, over the course of a couple weeks it got progressively worse until I used a roll of masking tape to push against the bottom left of the TV and the wall, was better but not perfect

- A week or two after that it finally was too much (particularly after the sand planet on SGU) - WAF even went off it was so bad, and I removed the masking tape so that it'd bother me enough to call. Was really bad for 30m or so then went silent. Next day it was bad for 10m or so then silent, and now for the past week the only thing I've been able to hear was a dull hum if I put my ear right over the back of the TV. EUREKA! It fixed itself.

- Today, six weeks after taking delivery, the TV is dead. I get a red power light but nothing else. Won't respond to the remote, unplugged for 30m, and just a few minutes ago it clicked a couple times like it was trying to turn on then nothing.

Swell....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 3454 Old 10-24-2009, 02:05 PM

i am getting a new one in 7 to 10 days as per samsung i hope its a non buzzer what are the odds
post #1743 of 3454 Old 10-24-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders66 View Post

i am getting a new one in 7 to 10 days as per samsung i hope its a non buzzer what are the odds

not sure of odds, but got my A model replaced with a B model on thursday and it is silent, very happy with it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1744 of 3454 Old 10-24-2009, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny2Bad View Post

More to the point, however, pretty much as soon as I read the first few pages of this thread my troubleshooting Left Brain immediately went ... this doesn't sound like hum or audio-circuit based ... I'll bet it's Transformer Buzz. LCDs will not have the same power supply design as Plasmas; a Plasma is a distant relative of the vacuum tube, although it differs enough to be considered a unique device. The important part, however, is unlike LCDs which might have pure switching power supplies, a Plasma needs high voltage and that almost always means transformers.

My bet is it comes down to one or more transformers that Samsung, for whatever reason, mounts near centre on the vertical PCB.

Because it's a mechanical issue (transformers vibrate due to the signal going through them, but it's mechanical damping that fixes that) it also makes sense that there is considerable variation in which particular set is affected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulskof View Post

The back panel vibration is a result of the white screen/brightness alternating buzz!

To paint a white screen, wouldn't the TV have to use more power? Wouldn't the transformer have to work harder?
post #1745 of 3454 Old 10-25-2009, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks to a cooperative service tech (and my Nikon D60), I see what's going on for my problem. There may be some buzz from the transformers, but the majority of the buzz was from the heat sinks attached to the high power transistors. Every one of those heat sinks on both the Y-board and Z-board buzzed. Digital Video Essentials DVD set to 100% white pattern.

The heat sinks are aluminum, which is not magnetic. The heat sinks are transferring board vibrations into something easily heard. I'm sure there's a nice complicated explanation, but it doesn't matter. That's what I hear. You really can't tell what's going on unless you remove the back cover. I didn't put my ear next to the heat sinks until I saw the tech push on them and not get shocked. .

The tech replaced both the Y-board and Z-board. The replacement Y-board buzzed about the same level as the original. The picture was extremely noise and smeared. Apparently, you need to re-align the Y-board when it's replaced. He put the original Y-board back. Picture OK.

We kept the replacement Z-board because the buzz was a bit less.

After we were done, there was very little improvement. No amount of pushing on any board could change the buzz. The tech said to talk to Samsung because there was nothing further he could do. He also thought that this was normal plasma buzz. I didn't.

As a last resort, he took the black foam that was shipped with the Y-board and stuffed it between the back cover and both the Z-board and Y-boards. There was improvement! Turns out that the back cover is helping to amplify the sounds. With the foam, it can't vibrate, which brought the buzz to just within a manageable level. Barely.

Not only that, the TV speakers didn't sound like crap anymore. Now, they sound like simple cheap speakers instead of tin cans. The audio was resonating with the back cover (or something else inside), which would explain why I wasn't able to equalize the response.

The display was able to be serviced on its stand. Remove all the screws holding the cover in place. Remove the back cover. Put in at least 2 of the screws for the stand, to keep the display in place. Here's the view from the rear. I added text to show where the Y-Board and Z-Boards are located.

This is a close-up of the Y-Board. The Z-board uses the same design, so the picture is similar. I added the text. Those transistors are switching a lot of current. Note that the capacitors (red squares on right) are epoxied together. This was done everywhere on all the boards.

This is the black packing foam used to ship the Y-board. The tech placed it between the Y-board and back cover. Same for X-board and back cover. There is enough pressure with the cover on to hold the foam in place. The foam doesn't block the buzz.

Upon further review, there's a slight magenta haze on the bottom of the display that showed up in the test patterns. I'll deal with that in the owner's thread - not related to buzz.

With the back cover no longer contributing to the sound, the buzz is under control. If needed, I can do some external audio treatment around the display. At this point, it may not be worth the hassle to take a gamble with a replacement. It still has a really nice picture.
LL
LL
LL
post #1746 of 3454 Old 10-25-2009, 02:01 PM

are you sure that the black foam is fire retardant? it gets extremely hot in there and I wouldn't want it to melt all over the internal components or catch on fire....
post #1747 of 3454 Old 10-25-2009, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The tech said it should be OK (?). The foam isn't blocking the vertical air flow, just between the cover and the heat sink. The back panel temperature definitely gets warmer as you get near the top of the panel - which is what I would expect. It's got good ventilation at the top. Temperatures on the cover don't seem to be excessive (definitely less than 45 - 50 deg C by my touch).

OTOH, I was thinking of calling Samsung to say that the service tech did an unauthorized repair and I have no idea if this repair voids my warranty. You never know what that foam might do... I have a lot of pictures, including the one showing him putting the foam in... I signed no paperwork. I don't want this guy working on my set.
post #1748 of 3454 Old 10-25-2009, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What I am thinking is that the transistors are resonating causing a harmonic tone in the heat sinks.. Im curious, did you try to pinch the fins together while on to see if the buzzing stopped? Your best bet was probably jus to stick a rubber grommet between the fins...

I dont like that foam up against the top of the heat sink - thats a significant amount of surface area for cooling that is now being blocked. It would be better to line the inside of the set where there are no vents with sound absorbing material.. to me that seems like the most simple fix - unless its coming from the front of the set.. but it should likes it resonating off the back of the set so this could also be a good fix..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekGirl View Post

Thanks to a cooperative service tech (and my Nikon D60), I see what's going on for my problem. There may be some buzz from the transformers, but the majority of the buzz was from the heat sinks attached to the high power transistors. Every one of those heat sinks on both the Y-board and Z-board buzzed. Digital Video Essentials DVD set to 100% white pattern.

The heat sinks are aluminum, which is not magnetic. The heat sinks are transferring board vibrations into something easily heard. I'm sure there's a nice complicated explanation, but it doesn't matter. That's what I hear. You really can't tell what's going on unless you remove the back cover. I didn't put my ear next to the heat sinks until I saw the tech push on them and not get shocked. .

The tech replaced both the Y-board and Z-board. The replacement Y-board buzzed about the same level as the original. The picture was extremely noise and smeared. Apparently, you need to re-align the Y-board when it's replaced. He put the original Y-board back. Picture OK.

After we were done, there was very little improvement. No amount of pushing on any board could change the buzz. The tech said to talk to Samsung because there was nothing further he could do. He also thought that this was normal plasma buzz. I didn't.

As a last resort, he took the black foam that was shipped with the Y-board and stuffed it between the back cover and both the Z-board and Y-boards. There was improvement! Turns out that the back cover is helping to amplify the sounds. With the foam, it can't vibrate, which brought the buzz to just within a manageable level. Barely.

Not only that, the TV speakers didn't sound like crap anymore. Now, they sound like simple cheap speakers instead of tin cans. The audio was resonating with the back cover (or something else inside), which would explain why I wasn't able to equalize the response.

The display was able to be serviced on its stand. Remove all the screws holding the cover in place. Remove the back cover. Put in at least 2 of the screws for the stand, to keep the display in place. Here's the view from the rear. I added text to show where the Y-Board and Z-Boards are located.

This is a close-up of the Y-Board. The Z-board uses the same design, so the picture is similar. I added the text. Those transistors are switching a lot of current. Note that the capacitors (red squares on right) are epoxied together. This was done everywhere on all the boards.

This is the black packing foam used to ship the Y-board. The tech placed it between the Y-board and back cover. Same for X-board and back cover. There is enough pressure with the cover on to hold the foam in place. The foam doesn't block the buzz.

Upon further review, there's a slight magenta haze on the bottom of the display that showed up in the test patterns. I'll deal with that in the owner's thread - not related to buzz.

With the back cover no longer contributing to the sound, the buzz is under control. If needed, I can do some external audio treatment around the display. At this point, it may not be worth the hassle to take a gamble with a replacement. It still has a really nice picture.

post #1749 of 3454 Old 10-25-2009, 04:53 PM

I called the store and told them what I am hearing. The store is ordering another one for me and told me that they agree the noise would be annoying. I told him I will try the new one they give me in the store to confirm there is no buzz before taking it home. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the new one I get is not a buzzer and newer then the April 2009. Is the month I am hoping for with less noise, Aug 2009?

Thanks for the reply. I can't wait to get the new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post

If you bought it at a place with no return policy and you can't convince them to take it back, yeah, you may be screwed. Based on this being your first post I'm going to assume you got the buzz then searched the Internet and found this forum instead of having read here first. It is risky to get a Samsung this year without an iron-clad return policy.

Bottom line, there has yet to be any service call in North America reported here that definitively and permanently fixed the issue, except for some who went through the hassle of multiple service calls and finally get Samsung to replace their sets. Even then some got buzzers again. Someone reported getting Samsung to accept a return. A majority of us didn't get a buzzer and are doing okay. But those that did and couldn't return have not had luck with a fix yet. Sorry.

post #1750 of 3454 Old 10-25-2009, 04:55 PM

well just bought a 50b650 and no buzzing until less than a foot from the back panel. i have it setting on a stand. i sit right in front of it about 8 feet back.
post #1751 of 3454 Old 10-25-2009, 04:55 PM

The buzz is coming from the front and the back I can hear it from 10ft away or more. I am getting a new TV and hoping that solves the problem. Are the ones manufactured in August 2009 better known for not having the noise?
I have the PN58B850. I made a typo before and typed PN50...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm_calgary View Post

Are you experiencing a buzz directed out the front or more of a resonating buzz. If the latter, Samsung may be able to fix this with some rubber washers. If the buzz is directed out the front, then your prospects are not so good. If you read through this entire thread, you will see that have a very good chance of:

- Samsung not being able to fix this
- getting another buzzer (and another...) if you exchange for the same TV

Success stories for the front panel buzz are very, very rare in this thread.

post #1752 of 3454 Old 10-25-2009, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanglx View Post

What I am thinking is that the transistors are resonating causing a harmonic tone in the heat sinks.. Im curious, did you try to pinch the fins together while on to see if the buzzing stopped? Your best bet was probably jus to stick a rubber grommet between the fins...

I dont like that foam up against the top of the heat sink - thats a significant amount of surface area for cooling that is now being blocked. It would be better to line the inside of the set where there are no vents with sound absorbing material.. to me that seems like the most simple fix - unless its coming from the front of the set.. but it should likes it resonating off the back of the set so this could also be a good fix..

Agreed on the transistors. I tried to give detailed explanations before, but found that most of the people in the forum didn't understand it.

The aluminum fins are too stiff to pinch. Look at the bottom picture "Black Packing Foam" in my previous post for a better perspective. Note the relative height compared to the other components (caps, air coils, etc.), so you have an idea of what I'm dealing with. Also note how thick the vertical side of the heat sink is. The heat sinks are attached to the board along their entire length. Very solid, nothing I could do to safely bend anything.

The foam is blocking less than 1/4 of the air holes on the Z-Board side and less than that on the Y-Board side. Here's a photo with the text showing the approximate location of the foam (foam not installed in this shot).

tiburonguy - My build was July 2009.
LL
post #1753 of 3454 Old 10-25-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:

tiburonguy - My build was July 2009.

So you think even if I get a newer one from July 2009 or August 2009 I will still end up getting a unit that makes the buzz noise?

I am hoping I just get lucky and there is no noise with the new unit...After spending a couple grand on a tv I dont want to have to put up with the noise
post #1754 of 3454 Old 10-25-2009, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiburonguy View Post

So you think even if I get a newer one from July 2009 or August 2009 I will still end up getting a unit that makes the buzz noise?

Mine's from September 09 and buzzes
post #1755 of 3454 Old 10-25-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:

When samsung repared my buzz, which sounds like exactly the same buzz that you are experiencing, they changed the power cord and something close to where the power cord are attached to the panel. This fixed my very high buzzing sound completly and I have no buzz what so ever now. I have tried to tell you guys this here on this tread before. I have seen so many people that have got both the z and y board replaced and it has not fixed anything for anybody. I think it is time for you that still have this problem to look elsewhere and maybe try what helped me..

Jens
post #1756 of 3454 Old 10-25-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseike View Post

When samsung repared my buzz, which sounds like exactly the same buzz that you are experiencing, they changed the power cord and something close to where the power cord are attached to the panel. This fixed my very high buzzing sound completly and I have no buzz what so ever now. I have tried to tell you guys this here on this tread before. I have seen so many people that have got both the z and y board replaced and it has not fixed anything for anybody. I think it is time for you that still have this problem to look elsewhere and maybe try what helped me..

Jens

The repair guy that came out a couple weeks ago told me he didn't think it was caused by the boards, but rather the power supply or something near it. He also said, that they may not be applying silicone to the coils. However, he wouldn't touch it until samsung issued it officially, or a fix in general. Not sure if theirs any truth behind what he said, but it sounds similar to Jens fix at least.
post #1757 of 3454 Old 10-26-2009, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Jens - hanano17 - I'm running through a decent AC power supply filter. If you look on my picture with the back cover on (above), you'll see the ferrite core wrapped around the AC cord.

A problem with the power supply sounds plausible (I watch MythBusters). If they didn't supply the right amount of regulation to the boards, that might do it. It depends if it's a problem with ripple on the DC supply (regulation). It could also be saturation of the transformer cores (too much current), the switching frequency, effects due to the transistors, or combinations of everything.

It might interesting to get a constant output (square wave) line conditioning transformer that can handle 550 Watts and see if the buzz changes. If you have a spare one lying around, that is. SolaHD Power Conditioner- Constant Voltage Transformers One of those will run you around $1,000 (for industrial applications).
post #1758 of 3454 Old 10-26-2009, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Has anyone tried putting a UPS with a AVR (Auto Voltage Regulator) on this set?

Quote:

Jens - hanano17 - I'm running through a decent AC power supply filter. If you look on my picture with the back cover on (above), you'll see the ferrite core wrapped around the AC cord.

A problem with the power supply sounds plausible (I watch MythBusters). If they didn't supply the right amount of regulation to the boards, that might do it. It depends if it's a problem with ripple on the DC supply (regulation). It could also be saturation of the transformer cores (too much current), the switching frequency, effects due to the transistors, or combinations of everything.

It might interesting to get a constant output (square wave) line conditioning transformer that can handle 550 Watts and see if the buzz changes. If you have a spare one lying around, that is. SolaHD Power Conditioner- Constant Voltage Transformers One of those will run you around $1,000 (for industrial applications).

post #1759 of 3454 Old 10-26-2009, 03:02 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Bookworm370
Stang, Geekgirl,

You may have hit on something.

I have this bad boy UPS on my 63B590 and it's smaller cousin on my 42B450. Neither one as much as humms! I use them not just for regulation but as the buffer until my whole house NG backup generator kicks in. It handles the TV, Dish DVR and the Sony HT. Can't say it would last a very long time but all it needs is just 40 seconds.

http://store.opti-ups.com/Product/Item.aspx?id=187

But, I didn't think about it until now and was wondering with 2 Samsungs bought within 2 months of each other if I just got very lucky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanglx View Post

Has anyone tried putting a UPS with a AVR (Auto Voltage Regulator) on this set?

post #1760 of 3454 Old 10-27-2009, 01:16 AM

Apparently SAMSUNG now has a fix for the buzzing (according to my service center in Los Angeles). They have a Tech Bulletin out to install rubber washers on the Y main board (I have a PN50B860). Apparently, this will "stop" the buzzing when your screen goes all white/black. We will see if this actually works when the tech comes out next week with the parts. Anyone else heard of this???

On another note, I heard (from one of the Magnolia guys) that there was a run of serial numbers that were effected with the Buzzing. Anyone also hear of that one???

I just hope the Buzzing finally dies, kinda driving me crazy at this point....
post #1761 of 3454 Old 10-27-2009, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendavido View Post

Apparently SAMSUNG now has a fix for the buzzing (according to my service center in Los Angeles). They have a Tech Bulletin out to install rubber washers on the Y main board (I have a PN50B860). Apparently, this will "stop" the buzzing when your screen goes all white/black. We will see if this actually works when the tech comes out next week with the parts. Anyone else heard of this???

On another note, I heard (from one of the Magnolia guys) that there was a run of serial numbers that were effected with the Buzzing. Anyone also hear of that one???

In Europe two issues exist. One is the buzz you describe which is mechanical (apparently the backpanel in resonance) and can be resolved with dampers, not very elegant but ok. The other issue is a different type of buzz coming form other electronic parts. For this in Germany and Holland there is a different service pack wich requires more profound changes (coiles removal, software upgrade, dampening foam, etc.)
post #1762 of 3454 Old 10-27-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:

The washer fix has been mentioned on here before, but like the above poster stated its for a different buzz issue than most have. Let us know how it goes though, because if the washers are just to 'dampen' the sound of the buzz than it would be similar to GeekGirls foam adjustment shown above, which has apparently lessened the buzz somewhat.

As far as what BB says, thats likely speculation on the issue and perhaps more likely a tactic to get you to buy the tvs. I've had a june and september build and they both buzzed, and others have had numerous build dates as well with similar results.
post #1763 of 3454 Old 10-27-2009, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I hope it helps. What kind of buzz do you have? The front directional one that can be heard at almost any distance or the one that is emitted from behind? Mine is quiet from behind, but very loud front buzz.

My 58b650 goes back this sat as my v10 finally arrived. I'm toren, I really like my 650 Please keep us posted!
post #1764 of 3454 Old 10-27-2009, 10:08 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:

Is this wild goose chase you are on serious?

What do you recommend other owners do? Should they go down this rabbit hole too, or just return the buzzer?
Why pay for a problem?
post #1765 of 3454 Old 10-27-2009, 11:21 AM

I have my 58B860 running through a Panamax M5300-11 Power Conditioner and it hums like a substation.

I have even tried plugging it into its own outlet (only thing on the circuit) and it still buzzes right along.
post #1766 of 3454 Old 10-27-2009, 01:06 PM

does anyone NOT have ant buzzing or hum love to know how long you have had your tv
post #1767 of 3454 Old 10-27-2009, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
islander66, I have a silent pn50b560, build date June 2009, running here since beginning of July, no buzzies, hummies, etc. Considering myself really lucky. Couple days back I started hearing a really loud humbuzzzz and thought Oh Sh*t!..... Turned out to be my Panny BD60 player, which on spin-up was being a real nuisance, don't know why as that almost never happens....

The Panny BD player / Samsung plasma (with CinemaSmooth) has been a great match so far. Fingers crossed, hoping it lasts....
post #1768 of 3454 Old 10-27-2009, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

Is this wild goose chase you are on serious?

What do you recommend other owners do? Should they go down this rabbit hole too, or just return the buzzer?
Why pay for a problem?

No, I was not serious. However, this is AVS forum. You never know. I'd return it if it's not fixed.
post #1769 of 3454 Old 10-27-2009, 06:45 PM

Well after about two months of researching and reading everyone's posts I dropped the money on the PN58B860.
Even with all the "BUZZ" talk. I viewed seven of these in the LA area at various stores and never really heard one buzz
very loud at all....hard to elevate ambient noise though. Received it on Friday....and I'm stoked! No buzz whatsoever.....
not even the typical "plasma buzz". This baby is as quite as a sleeping mouse. Don't have to tell any of you about the PQ,
you already know. Unit was manufactured September 2009 at Tijuana. One of the best purchases I've ever made. Thanks to all!
post #1770 of 3454 Old 10-27-2009, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So here's a pic from another thread that judging from the original file name is for an LG plasma. The owner is complaining of buzzing coming from the 4 expoxied orange capacitors on the far right. Look familiar? I cannot imagine any reason why these caps would vibrate and the conjecture offered was that mechanical noise from the heat sink just to the left of the caps was tranmitting/creating the buzz. The author found the buzz by touching a screwdriver to the caps and putting his ear on the screwdriver to hear the buzz. Don't know why he didn't do the same thing on the heat sink.

Funny thing is the author said he replaced the the four caps with a non-buzzing set of caps from another part of the set and the "new" caps also began to buzz. Perhaps all the guessing before is incorrect. There's got to be something under the heat sink and whatever is under there is perhaps what is causing the buzzing. I know GG pics show transistors mounted on the outside of the heatsink but that's way too much PCB real estate to just throw away and transistors don't vibrate. Anyway, have a look...

Attachment 156434

Notice also in GG pics that there apperas to be heat sinks near the upper right back on the Y board (as facing the front of the TV). Others have reported buzzing coming from there and I too hear buzzing there but it not that bad and you have to be with 3' to hear it. I count that as "normal" plasma buzz. Perhaps similar components are under those heat sinks?
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page