AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Plasma Flat Panel Displays (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-plasma-flat-panel-displays/)
-   -   09 Samsung B series "buzz" thread [NO PRICE TALK] (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-plasma-flat-panel-displays/1144869-09-samsung-b-series-buzz-thread-no-price-talk.html)

mcjasonb 05-05-2009 06:17 PM

if you have any new B series Sammy let us know if you have the "buzz" and if it bothers you or not.

also tell us what model and size it is.

mcjasonb 05-05-2009 06:38 PM

for me, sometimes i notice it. 90% of the time i don't and the times i do notice it, it is no worse then the high pitch whine crt's make. it is very very faint. it does not concern me one bit.

my display is a 58B560

tigerfan33 05-05-2009 06:43 PM

50B450. No buzz at all.

ROMAN O 05-05-2009 06:47 PM

I wonder if this thread will get as much attention as the Kuro buzz thread

mcjasonb 05-05-2009 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMAN O View Post

these 09 sammys are getting a lot of attention so i think it might.

discopaul 05-05-2009 06:55 PM

Quote:

Oh ohhh. Should I also expect top see a blotching and dirty screen threads and polls?

mcjasonb 05-05-2009 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by discopaul View Post

Oh ohhh. Should I also expect top see a blotching and dirty screen threads and polls?

nope.

Plasma Donor 05-05-2009 07:02 PM

42" PN42B450

I voted for the second choice. I would like to add that by slightly I mean very, very, slightly, and absolutely no chance of hearing it at my main viewing location.

mcjasonb 05-05-2009 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma Donor View Post

42" PN42B450

I voted for the second choice. I would like to add that by slightly I mean very, very, slightly, and absolutely no chance of hearing it at my main viewing location.

how far do you sit from it? straight in front of it?

ROMAN O 05-05-2009 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by discopaul View Post

Maybe a black level poll

mcjasonb 05-05-2009 07:09 PM

Quote:

Maybe a black level poll

maybe, although i'd rather just see a real measurement and have the real answer.

the blacks on my B560 could be blacker but they are black enough to me. nothing to be upset about. i wasn't willing to spend my whole saving account on a pro Kuro so i knew what i was getting into.

ROMAN O 05-05-2009 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjasonb View Post

maybe, although i'd rather just see a real measurement and have the real answer.

the blacks on my B560 could be blacker but they are black enough to me. nothing to be upset about. i wasn't willing to spend my whole saving account on a pro Kuro so i knew what i was getting into.

Oh this was just a response back to disco it goes back years now You have agreat unit!

mcjasonb 05-05-2009 07:34 PM

Quote:

Oh this was just a response back to disco it goes back years now You have agreat unit!

thanks, i think so to.

tomnan24 05-05-2009 07:35 PM

Thanks to you all!! I have a 7 year old crt that I have never heard buzz until I read all of the buzz posts. I decided to go see what my crt does. Low and behold it buzzes. Thanks again now after 7 years of bliss I have a buzzing TV. LOL.

mcjasonb 05-05-2009 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnan24 View Post

Thanks to you all!! I have a 7 year old crt that I have never heard buzz until I read all of the buzz posts. I decided to go see what my crt does. Low and behold it buzzes. Thanks again now after 7 years of bliss I have a buzzing TV. LOL.

there ya go people, even good ole crt's buzz.

Plasma Donor 05-05-2009 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjasonb View Post

how far do you sit from it? straight in front of it?

7.5-8ft

Plasma Donor 05-05-2009 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnan24 View Post

Comedy! LOL

discopaul 05-05-2009 11:30 PM

Quote:

Maybe a black level poll

Actually, you may be on to something. That may be of especial interest to those who make that a foremost priority.

seowfun 05-05-2009 11:56 PM

PN58B650. Buzzing is audible from my viewing position when the TV volume is low. Can clearly hear it change pitch when the brightness of the picture change. Quite annoying. I also notice image retention when I had a DVD menu displayed for a few minutes.

Jeremy Tebo 05-06-2009 08:58 AM

58B560. Buzzes only when sitting directly in front of the middle of the TV, and it still annoys me. Because of that I no longer sit in that spot.

lunaticpuma 05-06-2009 09:32 AM

Do the B series plasmas only have the single sheet of panel glass like Pioneer or do they have a double layer like Panasonic?

seowfun 05-06-2009 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Tebo View Post

58B560. Buzzes only when sitting directly in front of the middle of the TV, and it still annoys me. Because of that I no longer sit in that spot.

I also noticed that the buzzing is much more audible when I am right in front of the screen, even if I'm more than 10 feet away. There is a height where the buzzing is loudest as well. Unfortunately, that's the ideal viewing location for me. I don't know whether my set is bad, or it's normal for these sets to have such loud buzz. My thought is it's normal for this TV. In this case, it's a deal breaker. After watching the TV for a while, I felt so relieve when it's off because of the buzzing.

Jeremy Tebo 05-06-2009 11:17 AM

It's the same way with Pioneers, and probably others as well. What I'm still not sure of is whether some wall treatments would help or not. Others have suggested it would not help because the sound comes directly from the screen and doesn't bounce off the walls anyway. The Samsung tech I spoke with though it would help.

seowfun 05-06-2009 12:49 PM

Quote:

It's the same way with Pioneers, and probably others as well. What I'm still not sure of is whether some wall treatments would help or not. Others have suggested it would not help because the sound comes directly from the screen and doesn't bounce off the walls anyway. The Samsung tech I spoke with though it would help.

Probably won't help. Currently, my 650 is sitting on top of a TV stand, and right behind it is a Luxia 55B6000. I cover the Luxia with a thick comforter to kind of act as a wall treatment, but that does not help with the buzz at all.

It's strange that many people are not bother by this. When my wife walked by the TV room, I asked her whether she can hear the buzz, and she said it's loud, which I agree. Oh! Well! I don't think I'm that picky, but seems like it's not easy to find a big TV that would fit well in a dark and quiet room

Farland 05-06-2009 01:49 PM

I only hear the buzz when I am fiddling with connections on my receiver, i.e. when I am behind the TV and close to it. For me it's not a problem at all.

Jeremy Tebo 05-06-2009 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seowfun View Post

Probably won't help. Currently, my 650 is sitting on top of a TV stand, and right behind it is a Luxia 55B6000. I cover the Luxia with a thick comforter to kind of act as a wall treatment, but that does not help with the buzz at all.

It's strange that many people are not bother by this. When my wife walked by the TV room, I asked her whether she can hear the buzz, and she said it's loud, which I agree. Oh! Well! I don't think I'm that picky, but seems like it's not easy to find a big TV that would fit well in a dark and quiet room

I tried something similar just to experement - put a heavy blanket over the back for a few seconds, and it didn't change the front buzzing at all. Put it over the front, and the buzzing was gone. It slightly degraded the picture while draped on the front though.

Jeremy Tebo 05-06-2009 02:09 PM

For those who don't hear any buzzing - do me a favor and try this. Pace off exactly 12 feet in front of the TV, and position your noggin so it is square in the middle of the TV, so you would be able to see your reflection exactly in the middle. Turn the volume all the way off, with the TV on a normal channel, and tell me if you can hear any buzzing. Then move to the side a few feet, and try again. I can't imagine my hearing is all that great, and that my TV is any different than the others. Also let me know if you have a 50" or 58", as that seems to effect it.

watchingf1 05-06-2009 02:56 PM

58B560 : I can hear the buzzing if I am listening for it from directly in front of it. Seating is approx 10ft.

Plasma Donor 05-06-2009 08:37 PM

Quote:

For those who don't hear any buzzing - do me a favor and try this. Pace off exactly 12 feet in front of the TV, and position your noggin so it is square in the middle of the TV, so you would be able to see your reflection exactly in the middle. Turn the volume all the way off, with the TV on a normal channel, and tell me if you can hear any buzzing. Then move to the side a few feet, and try again. I can't imagine my hearing is all that great, and that my TV is any different than the others. Also let me know if you have a 50" or 58", as that seems to effect it.

I only have a 42" but no I can't hear any buzzing at all and that is from 12ft., 12 paces would be even farther.

Jeremy Tebo 05-07-2009 08:55 AM

Well yeah, pacing off 12 feet would be about 4 paces. As a golfer I'm confident in my one-yard pace.