Crazy idea - tinting a plasma? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #31 of 64 Old 05-20-2009, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
will tinting make it look BIGGER? My wife asked, have no idea why..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 64 Old 05-20-2009, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
no, tinting wont make it any bigger, only a surgeon can help you with that...
post #33 of 64 Old 05-20-2009, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

And yes, i understand the sunglasses idea - thats how we "tried it out" and it looked fantastic. Anyways, for all you naysayers, unless you want to buck up for a kuro for us, I'm headed over to his house with a $12 roll of static cling 35% window tint now to try it out. Nothing's permanent, so why not try.

-Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 64 Old 05-21-2009, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Although it's not exactly the same thing, this is basically what Samsung has done with their Ultra Filterbright coating on the 6 and 8 series plasmas. It makes the blacks look blacker with any ambient light in the room. I have no idea how this would work with DIY window tint though but it is the same basic concept.
post #35 of 64 Old 05-21-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theydroppedme View Post

no, tinting wont make it any bigger, only a surgeon can help you with that...

ouch!

I was hoping this tinting idea would work without surgery, bummer man...

Someone needs to take pictures with this tinting concept to show a with/without comparision if it really can/does make a diff.

This could be a new market for Maui Jim!
post #36 of 64 Old 05-21-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avnuttyguy View Post

ouch!

I was hoping this tinting idea would work without surgery, bummer man...

Someone needs to take pictures with this tinting concept to show a with/without comparision if it really can/does make a diff.

This could be a new market for Maui Jim!

I posted a link earlier in the thread to an earlier conversation on the same topic. That thread has pictures.

It doesn't work. It affects each color in a negative manner.
post #37 of 64 Old 05-21-2009, 08:15 PM

gracias jrcorwin, I missed that. yup, sure enough, not a good DIY project. Guess I'll stick to my Maui Jim's

Anybody figure out how to make it look bigger though? J/K!
post #38 of 64 Old 05-21-2009, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 60
You know those magnifier plastic sheets they make for people with vision problems? The one to use when reading? Think they make one for a 50" screen that would make it look like a 63"??????????????? Just think of the cost savings.
post #39 of 64 Old 05-21-2009, 10:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Why not simply use the new "light-activated" window tint that is transparent in the daylight but get's darker when there is less light passing through it. That way only the dark areas of the screen would be darker and the light areas would be the same?

Epson 5040ub Projector, Elite Screens 120" Saker AUHD, Yamaha RX-A3060, B&W Speakers: Signature 7's, FMP4, CWM7.5s, CCM65s, Rythmik 15" CI Sub, 30' Monoprice Cabernet Ultra CL2, Tiara CI-Pro Series In-wall wiring, Phillips BDP7501 UHD BD Player, Niles 1230 WHA Amp, Xbox, WiiU, TiVo Premiere
post #40 of 64 Old 05-21-2009, 10:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post

Why not simply use the new "light-activated" window tint that is transparent in the daylight but get's darker when there is less light passing through it. That way only the dark areas of the screen would be darker and the light areas would be the same?

What is the response time of this new photochromic? You are an inventor at heart

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
post #41 of 64 Old 05-22-2009, 04:42 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by theydroppedme View Post

Crazy idea - tinting a plasma?

Yeah, this seems like a "crazy" idea to me. If you want deeper blacks, buy a Kuro PDP.
post #42 of 64 Old 05-22-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:

Wow. Crazy. I wrote a business plan for this in college for a project. Pretty cool.
post #43 of 64 Old 05-22-2009, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrox View Post

What is the response time of this new photochromic? You are an inventor at heart

I was being sarcastic as I am not (personally) aware of such a product but expect that making something like it would not be too complex. I would envision it as an inverse of the "Transition Lens" model. They get darker in sunlight and lighter without light rays. In theory, it shouldn't bee too hard to make something that operates the same way only in reverse (get's lighter in sunlight and darker without the light beams). But, as you would expect, the reaction time would not be viable for a solution that would require the high transition times that this application would. Maybe I should say "Patent pending..."? I DO would for Lucent Technologies so patents aren't a new thing for me...(although I do not currently hold any I do have a number of friends that do).

Epson 5040ub Projector, Elite Screens 120" Saker AUHD, Yamaha RX-A3060, B&W Speakers: Signature 7's, FMP4, CWM7.5s, CCM65s, Rythmik 15" CI Sub, 30' Monoprice Cabernet Ultra CL2, Tiara CI-Pro Series In-wall wiring, Phillips BDP7501 UHD BD Player, Niles 1230 WHA Amp, Xbox, WiiU, TiVo Premiere
post #44 of 64 Old 05-22-2009, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 62
Quote:

I was being sarcastic as I am not (personally) aware of such a product but expect that making something like it would not be too complex. I would envision it as an inverse of the "Transition Lens" model. They get darker in sunlight and lighter without light rays. In theory, it shouldn't bee too hard to make something that operates the same way only in reverse (get's lighter in sunlight and darker without the light beams). But, as you would expect, the reaction time would not be viable for a solution that would require the high transition times that this application would. Maybe I should say "Patent pending..."? I DO would for Lucent Technologies so patents aren't a new thing for me...(although I do not currently hold any I do have a number of friends that do).

You could recieve a patent for the concept alone. No reduction to practice required. Just use a prophetic example. Of course, if your company works the same as mine, Lucent will own the rights to the concept and any reduction to practise from the original concept.

Any patent that I write, regardless of content, is my companies property. They essentially own my brain

That being said, I had a similar idea to yours to create zero black and drastically improve ambient contrast by using an electrochromic glass layer in front of the pixels. During the reset and address periods the electrochromic glass would be light absorbing (black) and during the sustain periods the electrochromic glass would be light transmissive (clear). This would create a zero black plasma panel that maintained excellent blacks in high ambient light.

With the invention of ECC plasma by Pioneer, my concept became somewhat useless (except for the high ambient light part)

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
post #45 of 64 Old 05-23-2009, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrox View Post

Any patent that I write, regardless of content, is my companies property. They essentially own my brain

Now that the U.S. has shipped most of its manufacturing jobs overseas or south-of-the-border, our politicians/captains of industry are doing the same w/this Nation's intellectual property... India comes to mind.
post #46 of 64 Old 05-23-2009, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Trust me. If I come up with the next "big thing". I will quit my job before I patent it or alternatively, my 6 year old son may come up with the next big thing...miraculous.

post #47 of 64 Old 05-23-2009, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

What's wrong with the idea:

It will reduce light output from the set
It will affect all of the colors, not just black. All colors will be darkened and shifted.

^^ Exactly ..

Really bad idea.
post #48 of 64 Old 02-07-2019, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Bringing this back from the dead. It's not as ridiculous as it sounds. I got a bad scratch on my f8500 and decided to take it apart. There was a film very similar to window tint applied to the front of the glass. Once removed scratch was gone as I am left with glass screen. It seems the TV was made to be extremely bright and then tint added to achieve the black levels that this TV produces. I have pics.
post #49 of 64 Old 02-07-2019, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1zaul View Post
Bringing this back from the dead. It's not as ridiculous as it sounds. I got a bad scratch on my f8500 and decided to take it apart. There was a film very similar to window tint applied to the front of the glass. Once removed scratch was gone as I am left with glass screen. It seems the TV was made to be extremely bright and then tint added to achieve the black levels that this TV produces. I have pics.
Don't really care about this old thread...but I love that dog! That is a very cute guy!
mailiang likes this.

Tony

In search of the Holy Grail.
post #50 of 64 Old 02-08-2019, 01:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1zaul View Post
That was the anti-reflective coating.
post #51 of 64 Old 02-08-2019, 03:31 AM

Well the coating is on top of the black film.
post #52 of 64 Old 02-08-2019, 03:32 AM

Take a look
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190206_203042_1549625529924.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	2.66 MB
ID:	2521978  
post #53 of 64 Old 02-08-2019, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Not all displays are smooth glass. Wouldn't the textured screens trap air bubbles? Maybe put the tint where it belongs, on the windows. Reducing glare on the screen should have a positive effect.
post #54 of 64 Old 02-08-2019, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjfalls View Post
Not all displays are smooth glass. Wouldn't the textured screens trap air bubbles? Maybe put the tint where it belongs, on the windows. Reducing glare on the screen should have a positive effect.

Plasma panels all have "Smooth as Glass" glass faces so applying tint should work like on a regular home window.

And they all (Samsung, LG, Pioneer, Panasonic etc) had a Black Filter which is basically a sheet of dark tint applied to the glass.

I'm a little surprised that Samsung applied their Black Filter to the outside of the glass then layered the AR Filter on top of that, because i think Panasonic put the Black Filter on the inside of the glass, then the AR Filter is on the outside of the glass.

I wonder if an automotive tint shop can provide a dark tint that is close to the original Samsung tint? But i imagine Samsung's Black Filter tint was designed specifically to be optically accurate and not interfere with color accuracy and so forth. I wonder if there is such a thing as "optical tint" that one can buy?

________

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Darbee DVP-5000S, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - https://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #55 of 64 Old 02-08-2019, 07:56 AM

Liked: 15
This thread is amazing, thank you for bringing it back...

I couldn't imagine further tinting a plasma though; Only reason I convinced the better half to get an OLED
is because she couldn't watch the plasma during the day
post #56 of 64 Old 02-09-2019, 06:52 AM

The tint seems to just be normal tint. I kept some of the original to do some tests. Once new tint is installed you can always recalibrate the colors. It would have been great if they tinted inside the glass then it would be scratch proof.
post #57 of 64 Old 02-14-2019, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Where can you buy cheap tint film? Interested in trying this on my PZ85.

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
post #58 of 64 Old 02-14-2019, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micolash View Post
Where can you buy cheap tint film? Interested in trying this on my PZ85.
Try this first if you want better blacks. This should work on that model. I haven't tried it on that model but it worked for me on the years prior 50PX75U. Turn VSUS and VD all the way to the left.
post #59 of 64 Old 02-14-2019, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Ickles View Post
Try this first if you want better blacks. This should work on that model. I haven't tried it on that model but it worked for me on the years prior 50PX75U. Turn VSUS and VD all the way to the left.
I'm definitely not someone who can open up the panel and make adjustments like that. At any rate, I already installed that device that was being sold by an avs member that restores the original panasonic black level of 0.008 fl which is pretty good.

With the glass tinting I'm more interested in the ambient light rejecting properties. A lot of the Panasonics have an unpleasant gray/green glow to the entire screen with ambient light in the room. I'm wondering if applying a window tint can alleviate that and make the screen itself look more "black".

Would something like this work? https://www.amazon.com/Gila-Privacy-...5XGQVNP84X1V5H

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
post #60 of 64 Old 02-14-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micolash View Post
I'm definitely not someone who can open up the panel and make adjustments like that. At any rate, I already installed that device that was being sold by an avs member that restores the original panasonic black level of 0.008 fl which is pretty good.

With the glass tinting I'm more interested in the ambient light rejecting properties. A lot of the Panasonics have an unpleasant gray/green glow to the entire screen with ambient light in the room. I'm wondering if applying a window tint can alleviate that and make the screen itself look more "black".

Would something like this work? https://www.amazon.com/Gila-Privacy-...5XGQVNP84X1V5H
Yes. I was gonna mention that about the PZ85U being a black riser. I've got one on my PZ85U also. I may take mine down off the wall in my garage and turn those screws down and take some measurements. I think you've got a hidden Gem there in that PZ85U. You've got step one down with the Audiodane device and with it's potential ability to be tweaked it could look quite impressive. This tinting idea I'm not sold on yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page