Panasonic 11G/12G/13G black levels have seemingly doubled overnight? - Page 385 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 409Likes

post #11521 of 11971 Old 02-04-2015, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
If it does then Dane needs to get to work to design one for my ZT. I'm getting more IR from my ZT compared to any plasma I've owed.
Anyone have any direct experience with IR before/after the PMCv1/v2? I know IR wasn't what drove this device to be developed but I'm not sure if the rising blacks are tied to increased IR and, if so, will resetting via the device help too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11522 of 11971 Old 02-04-2015, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does the PMCv2 fit under the service panel cover or does it extend out behind the TV?
post #11523 of 11971 Old 02-04-2015, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24958 View Post
Does the PMCv2 fit under the service panel cover or does it extend out behind the TV?
Under the cover.
audiodane likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11524 of 11971 Old 02-04-2015, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 23
is PMCv2 in stock now? I have a Viera G20 with +/- 30,000 panel hours (TV is in the living room and was on 15-18 hours a day since 2010) and is still bright as ever, but not dark enough when it was brand-spanking-new back in 2010.

50 inch Panasonic Viera ST60 (only used for movies)
50 inch Panasonic Viera G20 (only used for sports & gaming)
46 inch Panasonic Viera G10 (retired)
50 inch Pioneer Elite 111FD (ISF-Calibrated by Chad B) http://hdtvbychadb.com/isf-calibration
post #11525 of 11971 Old 02-05-2015, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP598 View Post
This is great news! Hopefully the cables will be in soon, and your wife leaves town.
It's been quite some time since I've enjoyed the deep blacks this TV is capable of producing. I am anxiously awaiting.
Thanks Vern- I will choose to not tell my wife that you are anxious for her to leave. But I appreciate your enthusiasm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS View Post
Anyone have any direct experience with IR before/after the PMCv1/v2? I know IR wasn't what drove this device to be developed but I'm not sure if the rising blacks are tied to increased IR and, if so, will resetting via the device help too.
I recall a post from a few weeks/months back where someone proposed that their IR had dropped after installation of the PMCv1 module, but one data-point a trend does not make. I wouldn't even know how to propose measurement of before-and-after either. We know how to measure MLL (even though most of us here don't have the equipment to do so), but IR? Methinks notsomuch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34HFX83 View Post
is PMCv2 in stock now? I have a Viera G20 with +/- 30,000 panel hours (TV is in the living room and was on 15-18 hours a day since 2010) and is still bright as ever, but not dark enough when it was brand-spanking-new back in 2010.
PMCv2 units are in my house, but they are not yet ready for shipping. Over the coming weekend I will be unpacking them, testing them, and getting them ready for shipping. Once that is done, we will simply be waiting on all the connector cables-- then the units will officially be "in stock." I believe the cables are scheduled to ship (to me) no later than the 20th of February. Hopefully they will arrive sooner than that, but that's out of my control. So, we're getting close.. just a few more weeks!

cheers,
..dane
post #11526 of 11971 Old 02-05-2015, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post
I recall a post from a few weeks/months back where someone proposed that their IR had dropped after installation of the PMCv1 module, but one data-point a trend does not make. I wouldn't even know how to propose measurement of before-and-after either. We know how to measure MLL (even though most of us here don't have the equipment to do so), but IR? Methinks notsomuch.
Thanks Dane! I wasn't expecting any sort of measurements on IR. I am looking for more of a response just based on visual observation after the reset. I.e., less IR (good), no change (meh), more IR (bad).
post #11527 of 11971 Old 02-05-2015, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Thanks Vern- I will choose to not tell my wife that you are anxious for her to leave. But I appreciate your enthusiasm.

PMCv2 units are in my house, but they are not yet ready for shipping. Over the coming weekend I will be unpacking them, testing them, and getting them ready for shipping. Once that is done, we will simply be waiting on all the connector cables-- then the units will officially be "in stock." I believe the cables are scheduled to ship (to me) no later than the 20th of February. Hopefully they will arrive sooner than that, but that's out of my control. So, we're getting close.. just a few more weeks!

cheers,
..dane
Thanks for the update of approx. when the cables are getting in. I'm also anxious in getting one to these but am waiting till you have them ready to ship out. My guess is you'll be sending out emails when the time comes?
post #11528 of 11971 Old 02-05-2015, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
I can't say for sure that it will help with IR, but I know that on my TV IR was more obvious on one of the voltage increases and got better after another one. So maybe with your lower hours you are at that stage now. After the voltage reset I have not noticed any IR, and that may be because it helps with it or it may be because the TV has much better blacks, so the IR would only be noticeable with all the lights off and a black screen. I do frequently play video games so I think I would notice if there was any.
post #11529 of 11971 Old 02-05-2015, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks Dane! I wasn't expecting any sort of measurements on IR. I am looking for more of a response just based on visual observation after the reset. I.e., less IR (good), no change (meh), more IR (bad).
Understood-- No clue. You can go back a few pages and read from a few months back.. I am pretty sure there was a comment-- find that comment and try to get in touch with them? Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pochoboy View Post
Thanks for the update of approx. when the cables are getting in. I'm also anxious in getting one to these but am waiting till you have them ready to ship out. My guess is you'll be sending out emails when the time comes?
I will update the blog/newsletter before anything else on big news like PMCv2 units finally becoming in-stock.. Typically that information makes it here too pretty fast..

..dane
post #11530 of 11971 Old 02-07-2015, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Finally got my first reset on the TC-P50G15. When I turned it on this morning, all I got was a black screen. I was wondering if it was working but I guess spreading my TV viewing over 3 different TVs takes some time.
audiodane likes this.

Panny Plasma Relic: TC-P50VT20, TC-P50G15, TH-42PX60U
post #11531 of 11971 Old 02-11-2015, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Woo hoo - I finally pre-ordered my PMCv2 for my TC-P50V10 - can't wait!!! I've got a slew of "dark" movies just waiting to be re-watched!

Quote:
Understood-- No clue. You can go back a few pages and read from a few months back.. I am pretty sure there was a comment-- find that comment and try to get in touch with them? Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Ha - I must have read the past few pages a half dozen times and I just now found the comment you were referring to! It simply says "ir" so I think maybe my brain read it as "if" or "it" and just passed it over. Anyway, yes, he did state that his IR got better after the reset.

As far as tucking the unit back into the TV, is there really enough room? I saw the pics on the site and the unit sure is small but I opened my service connector access cover last night to take a peek and it sure seems tight in there with the HDMI ports below and to the right. Also, I know there is shrink wrap on the critical parts but there's no issue with this touching the metal TV cabinet? Sorry, I too am an engineer by trade!

Finally, I read the updates on the website and I, for one, can live without getting a printed copy of the instructions with the unit so long as there is a PDF I can download. I am happy to print them myself - especially if that means you can get them done and out quicker!

BTW, did I mention that I can't wait?!?
post #11532 of 11971 Old 02-11-2015, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Woo hoo - I finally pre-ordered my PMCv2 for my TC-P50V10 - can't wait!!! I've got a slew of "dark" movies just waiting to be re-watched!

As far as tucking the unit back into the TV, is there really enough room? I saw the pics on the site and the unit sure is small but I opened my service connector access cover last night to take a peek and it sure seems tight in there with the HDMI ports below and to the right. Also, I know there is shrink wrap on the critical parts but there's no issue with this touching the metal TV cabinet? Sorry, I too am an engineer by trade!

Finally, I read the updates on the website and I, for one, can live without getting a printed copy of the instructions with the unit so long as there is a PDF I can download. I am happy to print them myself - especially if that means you can get them done and out quicker!

BTW, did I mention that I can't wait?!?
Hi Tony. Saw your order come through, thank you. I look forward to hearing your feedback on the unit.

I cannot say for sure whether or not every TV has enough room inside its chassis. I can say that my G10 certainly does, and I have heard some other folks have tucked theirs in. Mine actually isn't tucked in right now, it has an extension cable on it and a data-logging device hanging off a 12" cable pigtail. I take the whole mess and just flip it up and over the back of the wall-mount hanger. I take my unit on-and-off (such as when testing the PMCv2 device) and periodically download the log data (there are several folks still trying to precisely decipher bytes 2-5). But I digress.. Some sets should have plenty of room, but I don't have a V10 so I can't say for sure on yours.

Do you know how many complaints I would get if I did NOT include instructions? Oh my, I don't want that many emails.. I folded the first set of 100 instructions back in October during a family movie night. 500 will take a little longer, but it's much faster than the programming and testing steps..

My boss wanted to go see Jupiter Ascending last night, so I took the opportunity to go do that with him. Good flick, plenty of action. Great if you want a pure sci-fi flick. A slight love story thrown in for the ladies. Will be interesting to see what the W. Brothers do with it (supposed to be a new series, I hear). Anyway, I got another 100 or so programmed late last night before falling asleep at the table. Tonight I should make better progress.

cheers,
..dane
post #11533 of 11971 Old 02-11-2015, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks Dane - I will definitely let you know how the unit works for me! I'm holding off watching the Christopher Nolan Batman trilogy with my kids until I get the PMCv2 installed. I just can't do it with the blacks as they currently are.

The back of my V10 looks exactly like the top pic in your Q&A under "Where does this thing install again?" I'm not exactly sure what the G10 back panel looks like but, a quick image search online (if it can be trusted), shows that it is the same with the exception of only having 2 HDMI ports on the back (versus 3 on the V10). Maybe someone with a V10 can chime in on whether or not they were able to "tuck" their PMCv1 back in?

As far as complaints go, I'd guess no more than 499 since I wouldn't complain!

Glad to hear you enjoyed Jupiter Ascending. I will get around to that one some time but likely not till it's out on Blu-ray.

Last edited by TonyS; 02-11-2015 at 11:09 AM.
post #11534 of 11971 Old 02-12-2015, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I cannot say for sure whether or not every TV has enough room inside its chassis. I can say that my G10 certainly does, and I have heard some other folks have tucked theirs in. Mine actually isn't tucked in right now, it has an extension cable on it and a data-logging device hanging off a 12" cable pigtail. I take the whole mess and just flip it up and over the back of the wall-mount hanger. I take my unit on-and-off (such as when testing the PMCv2 device) and periodically download the log data (there are several folks still trying to precisely decipher bytes 2-5). But I digress.. Some sets should have plenty of room, but I don't have a V10 so I can't say for sure on yours.
I took the service connector access cover off again last night to have another look. Here are a couple of pics of the V10. First one is straight on, second one looking down in an attempt to show how much room there is...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	V10 Service Connector 1.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	541017   Click image for larger version

Name:	V10 Service Connector 2.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	541025  
post #11535 of 11971 Old 02-12-2015, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Well, I had my first reset last night (finally). Even though I knew it was coming eventually, it was a bit disconcerting because I did not expect it. I did, however, manage not to panic (I have the clean undergarments to prove it), and relaxed after looking at the flashing light (I did not tuck my PMCv1 inside, but left it hanging for that very reason). In any case, the process was a minor interruption in my enjoyment of my new 65V10....
ignoreme and audiodane like this.

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

post #11536 of 11971 Old 02-12-2015, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I took the service connector access cover off again last night to have another look. Here are a couple of pics of the V10. First one is straight on, second one looking down in an attempt to show how much room there is...
The new PMCv2 is slightly larger than the PMCv1, but the hope is that it will still fit in the chassis. Even if it does not, however, you can now switch off the LEDs completely so that even if it is hanging out, it doesn't have to shine brightly in a dark room. I'll reach back behind my G10 again tonight and see what I think with the new PMCv2 boards. For what it's worth, it's no trouble at all to leave it hanging out, or to leave the access cover off. There are already so many holes in the chassis back for heat venting, it's not like "more dust" is going to get in ..

..dane
TonyS likes this.
post #11537 of 11971 Old 02-19-2015, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
The new PMCv2 is slightly larger than the PMCv1, but the hope is that it will still fit in the chassis. Even if it does not, however, you can now switch off the LEDs completely so that even if it is hanging out, it doesn't have to shine brightly in a dark room. I'll reach back behind my G10 again tonight and see what I think with the new PMCv2 boards. For what it's worth, it's no trouble at all to leave it hanging out, or to leave the access cover off. There are already so many holes in the chassis back for heat venting, it's not like "more dust" is going to get in ..

..dane

...patiently waiting for my v2. Thanks again to Dane...I'm sure he's not getting rich doing this.

Two thoughts after re-re-reading a lot of this thread.

1. I remember being disappointed back in '09 reading about the problem in the G10 series (think I've got the right number). I had spent a lot of time looking for a decent budget (i.e. not Pioneer) plasma...thought I'd made the right choice...and then bam! the black-levels-rising reports ... I wonder how many videophiles really turned on Panasonic after that...

2. An earlier post in the thread talked about the Batman movies. I cannot find the link that had a whole bunch of stills from a Batman movie to demonstrate the before and after. When deciding whether or not to buy the V2 I spent a bit of time on this webpage but I cannot locate it now. Can someone reading this point me in the right direction?
post #11538 of 11971 Old 02-20-2015, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Great news. AudioDane says cables are in and pre-orders will be shipping out this weekend!
post #11539 of 11971 Old 02-20-2015, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pochoboy View Post
Great news. AudioDane says cables are in and pre-orders will be shipping out this weekend!
Woo Hoo!!!! Can't wait!!!
post #11540 of 11971 Old 02-20-2015, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

All right, as I get even more excited for my PMCv2 to arrive, I'm starting to plan. I am going to take some before and after pics (using my DSLR, on a tripod, so I can have all things equal when I take the pics). Right now I am leaning towards using Edge of Tomorrow as my demo for pics as I watched it a month or so ago and was very disappointed in my V10's black level performance in the last 20 minutes or so. That said, anyone have any thoughts or ideas on other movies/scenes to use as demo pics? Anything anyone want to see? If so, let me know and I will see if I have it in my modest Blu-ray collection...
post #11541 of 11971 Old 02-20-2015, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Amy PZ800U owners here ?

I'm thinking about getting this set
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-pl...-good-buy.html

Is PZ800U also affected by the rising MLL ?

50 inch Panasonic Viera ST60 (only used for movies)
50 inch Panasonic Viera G20 (only used for sports & gaming)
46 inch Panasonic Viera G10 (retired)
50 inch Pioneer Elite 111FD (ISF-Calibrated by Chad B) http://hdtvbychadb.com/isf-calibration
post #11542 of 11971 Old 02-20-2015, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 176
I think so because my PZ80u was and it's the same year.

"This one goes to eleven." Martin Logan Descent-i subwoofer
post #11543 of 11971 Old 02-20-2015, 11:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
PZ800U is affected and can be reset with PMC or DIY Arduino.
audiodane likes this.

Panasonic plasma black level restoration
Step-by-step guide for restoring the initial MLL on a Panasonic G10 plasma

Last edited by mironto; 03-23-2015 at 04:51 AM.
post #11544 of 11971 Old 02-23-2015, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Got an email from Dane saying shipments are going out.

I really do still like my 42" G10 despite the black level drama, and I'm excited to see the results. Happy to take some before/after shots.
audiodane and defdog99 like this.
post #11545 of 11971 Old 02-23-2015, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Does Dane have a way to remove the huge plastic bezel on my 50v10.

I can get a 65 inch tv that takes the same space as my 50v10 ;-)
post #11546 of 11971 Old 02-24-2015, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by defdog99 View Post
Does Dane have a way to remove the huge plastic bezel on my 50v10.

I can get a 65 inch tv that takes the same space as my 50v10 ;-)
Yes!! Send me the whole 50v10, and I'll be more than happy to remove and send the bezel back to you! I'll even meet you half way, depending on where you live..

..dane
TonyS likes this.
post #11547 of 11971 Old 02-25-2015, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgsmike View Post
Got an email from Dane saying shipments are going out.

I really do still like my 42" G10 despite the black level drama, and I'm excited to see the results. Happy to take some before/after shots.
]

My V2 arrived today; serial # 2 011 (I think that's what it was).

TV: Panasonic 54G10 (2009, I think)
installation problems? none; the hardest part was prying off the cover to the service port
the result? unbelievable

How is it unbelievable?

It is not the black levels that are noticeably improved (although I'm sure they are).

What is most obvious...to anyone...is how the grays have improved. In a word, the grays are somehow 'brighter'.

I'm running THX.

Oh and the v2 gizmo fits nicely inside of the set...and I successfully replaced the cover.

Thanks, Dane, for your wonderful work and effort.

I guess if you're 'Dane' perhaps I should sign off as 'German'...or maybe..'Irish'!
audiodane likes this.
post #11548 of 11971 Old 02-25-2015, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Awesome board Dane!

I recommend for the next set of instructions, to tell people to run the anti-image retention bars for 60 secs.
Once that's done, the lit up phosphors go back to super dark blacks that the board resets back too!

This board is recommended for all v10 owners!
post #11549 of 11971 Old 02-25-2015, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by defdog99 View Post
Awesome board Dane!

I recommend for the next set of instructions, to tell people to run the anti-image retention bars for 60 secs.
Once that's done, the lit up phosphors go back to super dark blacks that the board resets back too!

This board is recommended for all v10 owners!
So, are you recommending running the scrolling bars for 60 seconds right after the PMCv2 is installed and the TV reset? Or run them before you install the board and do the reset?

Can't wait to get this for my V10! I've been putting off watching the Christopher Nolan Batman trilogy with my family because I wanted my V10's blacks fixed.

BTW, for those of you who received your PMCv2s already... I am jealous! Here's hoping mine is in tomorrow's mail!
post #11550 of 11971 Old 02-25-2015, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Either way. I studied the edges of a pure black screen. Unplugged the tv. Put in the board. Turned it on and off a couple times.

Then noticed the edges were still pretty bright. Realized it was image retention. A quick anti-image run, and the blacks became much darker.

Looks great in THX mode. Similar to the 1st week when I had that A-board replaced many moons ago.
audiodane likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page