Panasonic 11G/12G/13G black levels have seemingly doubled overnight? - Page 399 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 408Likes

post #11941 of 11971 Old 12-30-2017, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Anybody know?

Help put an end to the reach-around mentality and bring the "Science" back to AVS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11942 of 11971 Old 01-01-2018, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLansing View Post
Anybody know?
Your supposed to leave it connected all the time and it resets it on it's own every 500 hrs. Yes just run it again if you have taken it off.
robi1138 likes this.
post #11943 of 11971 Old 01-03-2018, 02:22 PM
IAH

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I would definitely buy one as well!
audiodane likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11944 of 11971 Old 01-04-2018, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I would also like to buy one, I've been reading through these forums all day today.
My only concern is that it seems neither the device or the manual solution works with TX-P50V20E, the i,e V20E? is that correct?
post #11945 of 11971 Old 01-04-2018, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Ickles View Post
Your supposed to leave it connected all the time and it resets it on it's own every 500 hrs. Yes just run it again if you have taken it off.
I had mine set to do it every 150 hours

LCD is the MP3 of the TV world
post #11946 of 11971 Old 01-04-2018, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by robi1138 View Post
I had mine set to do it every 150 hours
Yes that sounds right. 150 not 500.
audiodane likes this.
post #11947 of 11971 Old 01-13-2018, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Ickles View Post
Yes that sounds right. 150 not 500.
PMCv2 gone forever? Anything ever come of Audiodane or another user starting these up again? I still have a TCP65V10 and would love to get a few more good years out of it. thanks in advance.
audiodane and jockeypete like this.
post #11948 of 11971 Old 01-16-2018, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 289
What is the actual fl black level of those 2009 S/G/V 10 models?

Panasonic 42inch ST60 owner
Panasonic 42inch S10 ES (Europe/Silver) owner
post #11949 of 11971 Old 01-22-2018, 11:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 59
An era has ended for me. After almost nine years, I gave my TCP 54V10 to friend. He was still watching SD on a MAMMOTH cathode ray set. Attached to the plasma was the PMCv2 and I warned my buddy that every now and then, the set would need to be turned off and on again when no picture or sound appeared. That little circuit board was one of the neatest bits of "rescue" technology I've encountered.

And now, I've entered the world of OLED with a 65" LG set. Stunningly beautiful pictures with a risk of burn-in. 4K is not quite bleeding edge now, but it's still early in its development.

Adios Panasonic.
Paul210, RxpSGR, audiodane and 2 others like this.
post #11950 of 11971 Old 01-23-2018, 11:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLansing View Post
It's been so long since I last reset my G10 that I forgot whether or not if I needed to just connect the Aurdino board to the TV and just let it run the code to the TV or if I have to go through the whole process of reading and writing code to the TV again. Does the Aurdino board keep the code in memory to write the reset to the TV?
It sounds like you're running @mironto 's DIY method (with an aurdino). I have not used his method directly, but as I recall from him website (see link in my signature line below), if it's working properly, then the TV will stay in it's service mode until powered off and back on. If that's not happening when your arduino is connected, then it sounds to me like it no longer has the proper software loaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Lidholm View Post
I would also like to buy one, I've been reading through these forums all day today.
My only concern is that it seems neither the device or the manual solution works with TX-P50V20E, the i,e V20E? is that correct?
You are correct -- the V20E does not seem to respond to the PMCv2 device reset method. I cannot say whether or not @mironto 's DIY method would work or not. I suspect not, since the underlying reset mechanism is the same between both methods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Shakespeare View Post
An era has ended for me. After almost nine years, I gave my TCP 54V10 to friend. He was still watching SD on a MAMMOTH cathode ray set. Attached to the plasma was the PMCv2 and I warned my buddy that every now and then, the set would need to be turned off and on again when no picture or sound appeared. That little circuit board was one of the neatest bits of "rescue" technology I've encountered.

And now, I've entered the world of OLED with a 65" LG set. Stunningly beautiful pictures with a risk of burn-in. 4K is not quite bleeding edge now, but it's still early in its development.

Adios Panasonic.
Thanks for sharing, Bill! Appreciate your positive feedback on the PMCv2 device. Love your simple warning about "every now and again." hahha.. still catches even me off guard every now and again.. Then I remember.. "oh yeah-- it just reset." Happened here most recently about three days ago... Momentary fear that I messed something up when we just had it taken off the wall to paint, then off-and-on and bam, back in business.

cheers,
..dane
post #11951 of 11971 Old 01-23-2018, 11:41 PM
Advanced Member

Hi all,

Sorry for the long absence (again). As I mentioned, it's a bit busy around here. We're fostering now, and my wife also now runs her own Rodan and Fields skincare business. Work responsibilities have picked up also and, oh yeah, have I mentioned that we home school?

I'm not posting much, or replying much to emails, but I am seeing and reading them. I promise.

I am still considering another run of boards.. I've probably had about a dozen folks indicate their interest. So here's where we're at. Before I setup a preorder page, I need to find out if the necessary parts are even still available. I certainly don't have time to re-design the board to compensate for obsolete parts. If all the parts are still available, and I can get quotes for some turn-key solution building, then I'll post a preorder page. It might be another few weeks (or months, sigh ) before I get that accomplished, however. Also, price will most likely go back up to USD$60 because I'll likely only be making a 100pc batch (not as good per-piece amortization).

If anyone here is business-minded and would like to strike a deal and "take over," I can handle production and then sell the whole batch "at-cost" to them and let them stand up a sales channel and handle all the rest from there. That would get the product back into the market but would not be subject to my severe time limitations. If anyone is interested, shoot me a message over at the PMCv2 website (https://audiodane.dandk.org/about, then "Contact").

Otherwise, I'll post back here again when I know more.. And if it's looking likely, I'll of course send out an official PMCv2 email newsletter. You can subscribe to that at the PMCv2 website also..

cheers,
..dane
AVfile, RxpSGR, robi1138 and 4 others like this.
post #11952 of 11971 Old 01-28-2018, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post
Hi all,

Sorry for the long absence (again). As I mentioned, it's a bit busy around here. We're fostering now, and my wife also now runs her own Rodan and Fields skincare business. Work responsibilities have picked up also and, oh yeah, have I mentioned that we home school?

I'm not posting much, or replying much to emails, but I am seeing and reading them. I promise.

I am still considering another run of boards.. I've probably had about a dozen folks indicate their interest. So here's where we're at. Before I setup a preorder page, I need to find out if the necessary parts are even still available. I certainly don't have time to re-design the board to compensate for obsolete parts. If all the parts are still available, and I can get quotes for some turn-key solution building, then I'll post a preorder page. It might be another few weeks (or months, sigh ) before I get that accomplished, however. Also, price will most likely go back up to USD$60 because I'll likely only be making a 100pc batch (not as good per-piece amortization).

If anyone here is business-minded and would like to strike a deal and "take over," I can handle production and then sell the whole batch "at-cost" to them and let them stand up a sales channel and handle all the rest from there. That would get the product back into the market but would not be subject to my severe time limitations. If anyone is interested, shoot me a message over at the PMCv2 website (https://audiodane.dandk.org/about, then "Contact").

Otherwise, I'll post back here again when I know more.. And if it's looking likely, I'll of course send out an official PMCv2 email newsletter. You can subscribe to that at the PMCv2 website also..

cheers,
..dane
Good to hear from you...hope all is well!

Your product is the only reason I haven't moved on to OLED yet. I will eventually but for now it is still fantastic. Am always worried it may fail and I won't be able to get a new one...but so far so good...awesome job!
Paul210, Gov, Vader424242 and 2 others like this.

LCD is the MP3 of the TV world
post #11953 of 11971 Old 02-06-2018, 10:27 AM
IAH

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post
Hi all,

cheers,
..dane
I'll keep my fingers crossed!
audiodane likes this.
post #11954 of 11971 Old 02-21-2018, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Shakespeare View Post

Adios Panasonic.

What do you think you could get for this TV these days? I'm looking to sell mine as it's in a really bright room now and just doesn't work. I'm afraid the people around my area won't appreciate how sweet this tv is
post #11955 of 11971 Old 02-21-2018, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschneids View Post
What do you think you could get for this TV these days? I'm looking to sell mine as it's in a really bright room now and just doesn't work. I'm afraid the people around my area won't appreciate how sweet this tv is
You won't get much for a used plasma(especially 7-9 years old)Best to put it in another room or give it to family or friends.
eaayoung likes this.
post #11956 of 11971 Old 02-24-2018, 12:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I agree, either fire sale it or give it to someone who will apriciate it. I have a 2005 34" Toshiba 34HFX84 that was pretty cutting edge hd CRT technology and now it's just a old heavy set that nobody wants. I think I paid 1225 for it back then but now I'd be lucky to get 100 for it. I gave my mom the 2012 Sony 50" led set when we upgraded to a 55" 4k HDR set so she had a decent newer flat screen to watch.
Good luck, I wanted one of these back in the day but tech and life moves on.
post #11957 of 11971 Old 04-17-2018, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Hi all,

Apparently my previous post was considered marketing and was removed. I apologize if any of my previous post(s) have been out-of-line with the posting rules. (Ironically this entire build is being done to support a local church missions fund...) Anyhoo, for those who have asked how you can get a PMCv2 device, just follow the link in my signature line.

cheers,
..dane
Paul210 and jockeypete like this.
post #11958 of 11971 Old 05-03-2018, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Just updating for those following the process, the 2018 build of PMCv2's has begun. Several vendors took all my money today (PCB, assembly, cable harnesses, etc) ......

cheers,
..dane
post #11959 of 11971 Old 06-13-2018, 04:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
hello i'm a new member. this is just a message first to thanks a lot mironto for his really useful guide, and second to confirm that the procedure with Arduino works as expected with my TX-P42V10E.

The panel has about 6500 hours of working life, with a past of really bad black levels, now i can enjoy this plasma working in right way, it's really a nice improvement.
Firmware in the plasma, at the time of reset was the 2.016

RxpSGR likes this.
post #11960 of 11971 Old 06-29-2018, 02:52 PM
G08

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I had a power surge at my home and my A-Board went out on my 58V10. I didn't want to say goodbye to my baby so I'm getting it repaired today. I hopped on here to do some research and came across this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
Need to add, a member of this forum (ie: Audiodane) sells the PMCv1/v2 board that will fix your rising black problem. You install it via a port at the rear of the TV. Just open the port's tab, plug in the board, close the port then turn on the TV. That easy to install. It's great for dummies like me that don't have the knowledge or desire build the board. He also had boards that work with other Panasonic TVs with the rising black problem.

You can find links to Audiodane's board via the rising black thread noted by Steve or via this link to his website:

http://audiodane.dandk.org/pmcv1-history/

The change in black level to my V10 was huge. Worth every every penny!
OH. MY. GOD. I couldn't believe what I was reading nor the results that all you posters provided from your improved televisions. I'm in for one, CAN'T WAIT to see how this turns out
AVfile, Vader424242 and eaayoung like this.
post #11961 of 11971 Old 07-01-2018, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Nice to see new life for these TVs. Nice plasma except for the rising black problem. I like my ZT better but the IR for that series can be an issue. With Audiodane's board, my 58V10 rivals the black level of my ZT.
post #11962 of 11971 Old 07-01-2018, 04:33 PM
G08

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Turns out my set is dead. The A-Board replacement was installed and the screen would still not display any images (like HDMI or menu, etc). Technician believes the screen is shot. Anyone have any suggestions at all or am I SOL?
post #11963 of 11971 Old 12-11-2018, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Reviving this old 2009 Plasma tv series thread

Finally I got hands on a Panasonic S10 in silver for 80 euros..
The reason I was looking especially for a silver model, is that the black level appears to be much better. It is just a simple trick, because with a black bezel you instantly see when black on the screen is dark grey what is very annoying.. The lighter bezel hides this quite effective..

Black level is bad, as all S10s, around 0,1 nits black fullscreen and 0,15nits with black and 50% white on the screen..
There is one adjustment dial in the tv that improves black level just a bit, also I can tweak brightness (light output).. But this is still stock performance..

It is amazing what a difference the bezel makes.. I had a black S1 here, and the black level was so bad it was painful.. Not with this model.. Just because of the different bezel color..

This model is very watchable and movie black bars seem to black, even if they are not..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9651.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	2495208   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9650.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	2495210   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9648.JPG
Views:	30
ID:	2495212   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9646.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	2495214   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9645.JPG
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	2495216  

Name:	IMG_9643.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	2495218   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9642.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	2495220   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9641.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	2495222   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9653.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	2495224  

Last edited by Bruce2019; 12-11-2018 at 01:32 PM.
post #11964 of 11971 Old 12-11-2018, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Black level king ST60 vs S10..

0,1 nits vs 0,15nits black level... With dark content the difference is huge in a complete dark room...

But with some ambient light, the difference gets somehow minimized.. Quite interesting to see the effect of a non black bezel..

Both sets are calibrated to 6500k and 80nits peak brightness and gamma set as close as i could get them..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9628.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	2495272   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9627.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	2495274   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9626.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	2495276   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9625.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	2495278   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9615.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	2495280  

Name:	IMG_9609.JPG
Views:	64
ID:	2495282   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9629.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	2495284  

Last edited by Bruce2019; 03-24-2019 at 01:22 PM.
post #11965 of 11971 Old 03-20-2019, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Finally I got hold onto a PMCv2..

It popped out on ebay and I instantly bought it..

Black Level went down from 0,1 nits to 0,04 nits.. The 42inch panels have higher black levels then the larger displays.. So they are really bad and suffer from those bad black levels.. Still, the difference is huge.. It makes a big difference.. NO issues, no missfiring pixels.. These panels can do those stock black level without any problems..

I really hope that Audiodane will produce another round of these incredible device.. https://audiodane.dandk.org/pmcv1/pmcv2/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0075.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	2541860   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0100.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	945.5 KB
ID:	2541864   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0091.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	2541866   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0085.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	949.6 KB
ID:	2541868   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0084.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	973.4 KB
ID:	2541870  

Name:	IMG_0083.JPG
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	2541872   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0081.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	800.0 KB
ID:	2541874   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0080.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	2541876   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0079.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	826.1 KB
ID:	2541878   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0105.JPG
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	2541880  

AVfile and Vader424242 like this.

Last edited by Bruce2019; 03-24-2019 at 01:21 PM.
post #11966 of 11971 Old 04-12-2019, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

I got another 42 S10.. A true gem with only 290 run hours..

I did reset it and measured an even better 0,033 nits black level..

I will keep this one and sell the other model..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190412_133219.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	394.8 KB
ID:	2552208   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190412_133750.jpg
Size:	730.6 KB
ID:	2552210   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0499.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	862.1 KB
ID:	2571222   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0498.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	943.2 KB
ID:	2571224   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0495.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	999.6 KB
ID:	2571226  

Name:	IMG_0493.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	1,002.2 KB
ID:	2571228   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0491.JPG
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	2571230   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0488.JPG
Size:	849.9 KB
ID:	2571232   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0486.JPG
Size:	622.0 KB
ID:	2571234   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0500.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	851.7 KB
ID:	2571236  

whipit likes this.

Last edited by Bruce2019; 05-24-2019 at 02:40 PM.
post #11967 of 11971 Old 06-15-2019, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 113
An end to an era. I said "fare thee well" to my beloved V10 today, superseded by an LG C9 OLED. Even given the astronomical jump in PQ, it was a hard thing to do. The TV has gone to other pastures (I gave it to a friend), and I know into good hands (it will again be the centerpiece of a home theater, one which has no intentions of going 4k).

To Dane, I want to express my heartfelt 'thanks,' as his device was the absolute best $60 I have ever spent on my HT. Throughout it's tenure here, it never missed a beat, nor gave me any problems (aside from the sheer terror I felt when I forgot that when it reset the TV would not come on, and that I simply had to cycle the TV). Again, thank you Dane, and God bless!
Paul210, RxpSGR and whipit like this.

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

post #11968 of 11971 Old Yesterday, 01:54 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Though I mainly use my ZT60, I still have my V10. I refuse to get rid of that awesome set.
post #11969 of 11971 Old Yesterday, 04:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader424242 View Post
An end to an era. I said "fare thee well" to my beloved V10 today, superseded by an LG C9 OLED. Even given the astronomical jump in PQ, it was a hard thing to do...
Oh brother, I've been milking 3 different Panny plasmas, convincing myself that any upgrade probably won't be enough of an increase in what I already consider to be great PQ. Yes, LG OLEDs have been on my radar. Now you're telling me it will be an astronomical jump in PQ? Vader--say it ain't so!
Vader424242 likes this.

Panny Plasma Relic: TC-P50VT20, TC-P50G15, TH-42PX60U
post #11970 of 11971 Old Yesterday, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader424242 View Post
An end to an era. I said "fare thee well" to my beloved V10 today, superseded by an LG C9 OLED. Even given the astronomical jump in PQ, it was a hard thing to do. The TV has gone to other pastures (I gave it to a friend), and I know into good hands (it will again be the centerpiece of a home theater, one which has no intentions of going 4k).

To Dane, I want to express my heartfelt 'thanks,' as his device was the absolute best $60 I have ever spent on my HT. Throughout it's tenure here, it never missed a beat, nor gave me any problems (aside from the sheer terror I felt when I forgot that when it reset the TV would not come on, and that I simply had to cycle the TV). Again, thank you Dane, and God bless!

At this point let me add that I still am using the V10, and when I got the C8, I actually had trouble believing that the C8 was better than the V10 (admirably assisted by Dane's black level "maintainer".) By now, with over 400 hours for the C8, the C8 does win out, overall. Aside from depth of color and the true black levels favoring the C8, to my eyes, the V10 still has great color and images appear to be better defined (sharper, although I haven't adjusted sharpness.) Nothing like true plasma and excellent OLED.
Vader424242 and Bruce2019 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page