Need Help Badly - HD for Sony 50" Plasma PFM-50C1E? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-02-2009, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased a house that has a 50" Sony Plasma (PFM-50C1E) hanging on the wall. The plasma runs at 720p. I've looked through the manual but can't figure out how to hook this thing up to my DirecTV to display a HD image. Currently (and sadly) it is hooked up using the s-video connection. The TV does have outputs fpr a RGB/YUV cable, but I don't know what I would connect to that and then be able to connect to my DirecTV receiver. Any help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-02-2009, 09:53 AM

Liked: 11
You really need the HD receiver for a HD picture. Otherwise all you will get is SD upconverted to 720p.

What inputs on the Sony match the DirecTv box - component, DVI,? I assume the Sony is too old for HDMI?

You mentioned the Sony outputs; I assume you mean inputs?
post #3 of 9 Old 10-03-2009, 11:48 PM
Advanced Member

Does the HD sat box have RGB or VGA on it? If it does, it plugs into the RGB VGA jack on the TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-05-2009, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter

The DirecTV receiver doesn't have VGA inputs (and that wouldn't do HD anyway). The receiver has everything else though. The Sony lists inputs of RGB/YUV (which goes to a Betacam SP video casette recorder in the manual) and another RGB/YUV (which goes to a computer in the manual). Both RGB/YUVs also have one single audio input next to them (not two -- like a white/red audio). The TV also has s-video, which is curretly hooked up, but that doesn't do HD (just 480p).

Thanks for any help.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-05-2009, 04:11 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JZeld View Post

The DirecTV receiver doesn't have VGA inputs (and that wouldn't do HD anyway). The receiver has everything else though. The Sony lists inputs of RGB/YUV (which goes to a Betacam SP video casette recorder in the manual) and another RGB/YUV (which goes to a computer in the manual). Both RGB/YUVs also have one single audio input next to them (not two -- like a white/red audio). The TV also has s-video, which is curretly hooked up, but that doesn't do HD (just 480p).

Thanks for any help.

You may need to upgrade your dtv reciever, with your present euipment I don't think it matters how you connect it. Tons of info over at dbstalk.com on DTV, I would upgrade to an HDDVR you would need a new dish if you currently use a round dish... you should be able to get all that for a net of $100 or less if you use some of the info over at DBS.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-05-2009, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 887
Quote:

The DirecTV receiver doesn't have VGA inputs (and that wouldn't do HD anyway). The receiver has everything else though. The Sony lists inputs of RGB/YUV (which goes to a Betacam SP video casette recorder in the manual) and another RGB/YUV (which goes to a computer in the manual). Both RGB/YUVs also have one single audio input next to them (not two -- like a white/red audio).

Does the Sony monitor have a VGA input? If so, does that VGA input accept an RGB signal? And is your DirecTV receiver an HD receiver? Is the audio input on the monitor 3.5mm?

If the answer to these is YES, then you should be able to use a Component-to-VGA breakout cable for sending HD video from the HD receiver, and a male RCA-to-3.5mm cable for audio:

High Def Video:

Audio:

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Darbee DVP-5000S, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - https://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #7 of 9 Old 10-05-2009, 06:57 AM

If the YUV is 3 RCA jacks then you SHOULD be able to take component video from the sat box and hook it up to that. If its a monitor style connector (HD15) then you will need the first cable that Randy has listed. I'm going to take a wild guess and say it has two monitor style connectors. Here is a little conversation on AVforum about YUV vs everything: http://www.avforums.com/forums/inter...yuv-input.html

I'm not sure what to expect out of it picture wise. It's designed to be an advertising display or some form of display. I don't think it was ever intended to be in a home. Also some of the only reading I could find on it said it does not have built in speakers, so unless it has the optional outboard speakers you won't get sound. Not sure why someone would put this in a house. Good luck!

-Sean
post #8 of 9 Old 10-05-2009, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Randy and badahab! The cables that Randy posted are exactly what i need. The DirecTV receiver is HD-DVR so that doesn't need to be updated. I almost would get rid of the Sony TV, but at 50" and already wall-mounted I feel like I should get some use out of it -- even if it is just 720P.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-05-2009, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 887
Quote:

Thanks Randy and badahab! The cables that Randy posted are exactly what i need. The DirecTV receiver is HD-DVR so that doesn't need to be updated. I almost would get rid of the Sony TV, but at 50" and already wall-mounted I feel like I should get some use out of it -- even if it is just 720P.

Monoprice has the cables you need. Great prices and great service!

Here's a 6 foot Component-to-VGA for $2.49:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Or a 12 footer for $3.70:

And a 15 foot RCA-to-3.5mm male audio cable for $3.34:

I looked up that monitor (without the E) on Epinions dot com and there was one review from Jan 2004 so that's an old girl. IIRC it has a Samsung panel.

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Darbee DVP-5000S, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - https://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page