To use D Nice break in slides or not? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 57 Old 05-04-2010, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I'm about to get delivery of my Panny 54 G25 and after reading all these threads and posts it seemed to make sense to do the break in slides for the first 100 hours until I read one post where it said "I'd also lose 100 hours of my best blacks"
So now I'm second guessing on doing the break in slides. I'd like to describe what kind of viewer I am and the use of the tv and what room it will be in and ask the more experienced members whether to do the break in or not

1) Moving from a 30 inch CRT TV so I feel I'm going to be blown away by watching HD for the first time
2) I work all day so the TV will be used from say 8pm to 11pm most weekday nights and rarely during the day on the weekends except for when golf and football is on.
2a) The shows I watch are usually cable/broadcast shows (MTV, Bravo, NBC, ABC (lost, modern family ,etc) that I tape on my DVR, no gaming system, no blu ray. If I watch movies its movies I've taped on HBO, Starz, etc.
3) The room has windows and I prefer to watch TV with the light on (recessed lighting in the ceiling with a dimmer). So there will be ambient light
3a) I'll be sitting about 8-9ft away from the TV.
4) I'm not an audio guy as you can tell. I just want a great TV to watch sports and the occasional movie which is why I went with the Panny G25.

So with the above said do you think I should pass on the break in slides
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 05-04-2010, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1414 Post(s)
Liked: 687
No need at all to use "break-in slides".
post #3 of 57 Old 05-04-2010, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 Old 05-04-2010, 10:54 AM

The break-in slides are to age the phosphors evenly during their most "impressionable" period.

Random full screen TV watching should come close to the same thing.

Due to the rising MLL issue with the Panasonic, unfortunately - yes you are giving up 100 hours of really good blacks.
post #5 of 57 Old 05-04-2010, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

So based on my profile it sounds like i should do random full screen TV watching. What does that entail? Not leaving it on one station more than X hours? Should I watch with different settings (THX, vivid, custom)? There's plenty of info on how to do D nice slides but I'm a little unclear on how to "break in" the TV if I choose to not do the slides
post #6 of 57 Old 05-04-2010, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
One sure fire way to break it in is to watch it. It will break in no matter what you do under normal viewing. Just keep the settings down a tad & watch mostly full screen stuff. Sure watch some 2.35 movies here & there too just balance them with full screen stuff in between as much as possible.
post #7 of 57 Old 05-04-2010, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Breaking in using Dnice's method makes sense to me. Sure you might knock 120hrs off of optimal viewing time before the 'MLL' goes up but everyone needs to realize that burning in 120hrs on Vivid mode could reduce the noticeability of the actual MLL rise due to proper phosphor aging.
post #8 of 57 Old 05-06-2010, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

thanks when you say keep the settings down what exactly do you mean? and how do i watch stuff in full screen? If the channel has does gray boxes on the side I either don't watch that channel or can I change something to the TV to allow for the gray boxes to go away?
Does D nice's settings say to go to Vivid mode?
post #9 of 57 Old 05-06-2010, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 315
There are different "formats" that you can watch. Full, H-Full, Just, 4:3 and Zoom. Try those. 4:3 is the one that gives you the gray bars. The other ones give you varying degrees of the letter box when watching TV. It goes from some showing to none at all showing(meaning the black bars). Also, by settings, you want to keep things like contrast and brightness lower. I am assuming that it is the same for the 54 as it is for the 42. On your remote control press the "format" key to cycle through the formats.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #10 of 57 Old 05-07-2010, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

so I go to settings and put everything below 50? and I do this for the first 200 hours? what about the view no 4:3 until 200 hours? why did I get a big TV if the screen is only being half used?
post #11 of 57 Old 05-07-2010, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Try full or Zoom. Those should fill up most if not all of the screen.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #12 of 57 Old 05-07-2010, 10:38 AM

I choose some sort of hybrid solution. I don't want to not use my TV for 150 hours so I use it normally (full screen only). However I run the D-Nice break in slides at night.

I'm sure purists will think this isn't optimal but to me it's a fair trade-off between doing the break in stuff and using the TV for watching stuff.
post #13 of 57 Old 05-07-2010, 01:27 PM

break in slides= funny

"AK-47-The very best there is. When you absolutely positively gotta kill every MF in the room-Accept no substitutes"
post #14 of 57 Old 05-07-2010, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 132
with a G20...you can use the slides and get closer to less noticeable the floating black will be...but the blacks wont be as black as long....

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #15 of 57 Old 05-07-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamfordmike View Post

so I go to settings and put everything below 50? and I do this for the first 200 hours? what about the view no 4:3 until 200 hours? why did I get a big TV if the screen is only being half used?

Why below 50?
From what I understand, to achieve lower black raise you need to break-in bright/Vivid.
If you make the hours without burning the phosphor well enough your blacks will go up more.
post #16 of 57 Old 05-09-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:

So I'm about to get delivery of my Panny 54 G25 and after reading all these threads and posts it seemed to make sense to do the break in slides for the first 100 hours until I read one post where it said "I'd also lose 100 hours of my best blacks"
So now I'm second guessing on doing the break in slides. I'd like to describe what kind of viewer I am and the use of the tv and what room it will be in and ask the more experienced members whether to do the break in or not

1) Moving from a 30 inch CRT TV so I feel I'm going to be blown away by watching HD for the first time
2) I work all day so the TV will be used from say 8pm to 11pm most weekday nights and rarely during the day on the weekends except for when golf and football is on.
2a) The shows I watch are usually cable/broadcast shows (MTV, Bravo, NBC, ABC (lost, modern family ,etc) that I tape on my DVR, no gaming system, no blu ray. If I watch movies its movies I've taped on HBO, Starz, etc.
3) The room has windows and I prefer to watch TV with the light on (recessed lighting in the ceiling with a dimmer). So there will be ambient light
4) I'm not an audio guy as you can tell. I just want a great TV to watch sports and the occasional movie which is why I went with the Panny G25.

Per Panasonic tech support. I should watch shows I normally watch(which happens to be a lot of the same shows you watch). Anything broadcast in 4:3 put TV in "Just". Use either standard or studio ref modes. Make sure pixel orbiter is on and in automatic. Side bars are set to med or bright. I am using studio ref and I took contrast and brightness down to 50%(as per many varies post and articles on different HDTV sites recommend). I asked about static image and was told reg TV viewing has the commercials so that breaks up the time a logo is on the screen. I asked about how long can a static image be on screen and he said no long than 1hr. I have been doing this for 1wk and have had no IR problems. I do limit my viewing of ESPN b/c they have a tendency to not to take a lot of commercials breaks. I have had to do "Just" quite a lot b/c there are many HD shows that still only broadcast in 4:3. I have not had to adjust any SD channels b/c I set my DVR cable box to automatically does this.
post #17 of 57 Old 05-09-2010, 09:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Given that you are coming from a CRT, I assume you don't buy new TV's every couple of years. Therefore, you hang on to your tech and want it to last quite a while. In that case, why not do the break-in slides and have a little comfort, knowing you are prolonging your purchase. In the whole scheme of things, 100 hours is nothing. Some people here watch that in 2 weeks time. My vote is to do it right and feel better about making sure the TV is ready for any type of viewing you want afterward.
post #18 of 57 Old 05-09-2010, 10:32 PM

Here is some of the guidelines I am using from a plasma website, I posted there link below.

Plasma TV Break-In
Break-in consists of a set of steps you should make right after you bought your plasma TV. Its purpose is to slowly prepare the TV for regular watching. During the break-in period, you will have to limit yourself a bit in regard to how you use your plasma TV. The break-in should be performed for the first 100-200 hours of operation. You can perform it exclusively or integrate it between your regular TV watching hours. During these 100-200 hours, the plasma TV is prone to accelerated burn-in because the pixels are fresh and fire at maximum intensity.

•Select the appropriate mode when you first power up your plasma TV. Most modern plasma TVs ask if you are going to use them in a store or in your home. In “store” they are in “torch mode” having maximum contrast and brightness to overcome the extreme lighting and look good.
•Calibrate them or use the appropriate picture mode. Some of the models have a picture mode in which they offer best picture quality. Others need to be calibrated manually to obtain best picture. Whether you select just the picture mode or you calibrate them, the brightness and contrast should not be maximum but around 50-60%.
•Watch only full-screen content. Avoid watching 4:3 content or use the zoom function to make it fill the screen. Same for cinemascope content which is shorter than the screen and puts black bars at top and bottom of the picture. If you have to watch non full-screen content at least make the sidebars or top and bottom bars gray instead of black.
•Don’t play games on it and don’t use it as a computer monitor.
•Mix the content. If you are watching programs that have logo, news ticker or any other static elements don’t leave the TV on the same channel for more than an hour. Ideally avoid watching such programs in the first hours.
•Don’t pause for long times, don’t leave your DVD menu paused on screen, etc.
You can use the white wash function, if present, for the first few hours in order to wear out the pixels a bit. Then you can watch regular content, sticking to the rules described above. You can perform the break-in in one continuous run for the first 100-200 hours if you are patient enough. If you don’t however, watch regular content whenever you want and when you’re not in front of the TV (eating, sleeping, away) leave on the white wash or a full-screen program/movie without logo or other static content. Note that if using white wash function, you should do so for less time than the recommended 100-200 hours since it wears out the pixels at an accelerated pace and it accomplishes the same thing faster. Ideally you should use the white wash for the first hour and after that watch regular full-screen content without static parts.

The break-in process is recommended. However not everybody does it. Most people probably don’t bother with it and still don’t get permanent burn-in. It is however an extra safety measure, and I think it’s worth doing it.

They also have some other good tips about plasma. Once you read it scroll down and there is a Q&A section.
http://www.thebestplasmatv.com/guide...ma-tv-burn-in/
post #19 of 57 Old 05-10-2010, 08:07 AM

I just put mine on HBO HD for the first 100 hours.
post #20 of 57 Old 05-10-2010, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked: 3685
*****Note: This procedure is designed to equally and evenly age all pixels and ensure the reference settings listed below provide maximum satisfaction . This procedure is NOT designed nor recommended to be used as Image Retention and/or Burn-in prevention.*****

Simply put, if you plan on using my posted settings, follow the procedure from which the above came from. Nothing more, nothing less.

Quote:

post #21 of 57 Old 05-10-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmalei View Post

Why below 50?
From what I understand, to achieve lower black raise you need to break-in bright/Vivid.
If you make the hours without burning the phosphor well enough your blacks will go up more.

I'm not sure why that is what you "understand", there is ZERO evidence that using vivid prevents or in any way alters the rise in MLL.
post #22 of 57 Old 05-10-2010, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, so I'll put the TV in Just format, but what do you mean standard or studio ref modes and if I do that why do I need the side bars set to med or bright? wouldn't I want them to be low so not to ruin the black levels.
I also don't watch commercials, I DVR everything. Also if I wanted to watch playoff hockey would I have to do anything different than mentioned for the first 200 hours?
Also how do you set your dvr cable box to automatically (I have Cablevision)

Valkyrie you hit my profile on the head, but 100 hours is a lot. I wouldn't want to run a TV with me not home so that means I need to be home. which would take a longer time. But my only question IF i do go back to running the slides can I do this with it hooked up to the cable box or are people running D nice slides without connection to a cablebox, thanks
post #23 of 57 Old 05-10-2010, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

*****Note: This procedure is designed to equally and evenly age all pixels and ensure the reference settings listed below provide maximum satisfaction . This procedure is NOT designed nor recommended to be used as Image Retention and/or Burn-in prevention.*****

Simply put, if you plan on using my posted settings, follow the procedure from which the above came from. Nothing more, nothing less.

Would you recommend not using your settings then if someone did not use this procedure? My friend got a G25 a few weeks ago but he did not do the break in procedure.
post #24 of 57 Old 05-10-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:

Thanks, so I'll put the TV in Just format, but what do you mean standard or studio ref modes and if I do that why do I need the side bars set to med or bright? wouldn't I want them to be low so not to ruin the black levels.
I also don't watch commercials, I DVR everything. Also if I wanted to watch playoff hockey would I have to do anything different than mentioned for the first 200 hours?
Also how do you set your dvr cable box to automatically (I have Cablevision)

Valkyrie you hit my profile on the head, but 100 hours is a lot. I wouldn't want to run a TV with me not home so that means I need to be home. which would take a longer time. But my only question IF i do go back to running the slides can I do this with it hooked up to the cable box or are people running D nice slides without connection to a cablebox, thanks

When you go in to the menu hit picture once there you will see mode that is where you can change from standard, studio ref, THX, custom, etc.. The "Just" format is to stretch any show that is not taking up the whole screen. I go back and fourth between Just and Full b/c most shows are broadcast in full HD. If you leave it in Just all the time you will lose some of the pic on shows that broadcast in full HD. I have Verizon Fios for me I got into the settings menu and scroll down to video settings. It gives the option on how HD and SD is to be shown. I record a lot on my DVR also when I watch I will let it run normal thru a couple of commercials. I have read a few post that people say cartoons is a good break in tool and Disney's Planet Earth on BD. This is my 1st plasma too, I had a Sony RP LCD. I was very nervous at 1st but not anymore. I am at 100hrs but since I am watching reg TV to break-in I am going to 200hrs. I just bumped brightness and contrast up to 65%. I re-watched Avatar this past weekend in THX, WOW I saw things I did not see the 1st time around. Not sure as to what you mean about ruining black levels. I watch ESPN but I with switch back and fourth b/c they do not take as many commercial breaks. The reason you make the side bars light is b/c if you choose not to stretch 4:3 they will be grey(again you have to change format to get this affect)so you will not get IR lines down the side from the pic. Flip thru your formats to get accustomed to what it does.
post #25 of 57 Old 05-10-2010, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked: 3685
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustwvl View Post

Would you recommend not using your settings then if someone did not use this procedure? My friend got a G25 a few weeks ago but he did not do the break in procedure.

Your friend is more than welcome to use my settings. However, I do not know how the settings will look because they did not follow post 1 of the Settings/Issues thread.
post #26 of 57 Old 05-11-2010, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Your friend is more than welcome to use my settings. However, I do not know how the settings will look because they did not follow post 1 of the Settings/Issues thread.

Thanks. I figured the reults might not be predictable.
post #27 of 57 Old 05-14-2010, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Advance Options
Block NR: Off
Mosquito NR: Off
Black Level: Light
3:2 Pulldown: On

Service Menu Offsets

WB-ADJ MENU
R-DRV: -1
G-DRV: -8
B-DRV: +4
R-CUT: -8
G-CUT: 0
B-CUT: +3

Note: These offsets must be entered for both Color matrixes. You access the different matrixes by using a 1080i/p signal for the HD matrix and 480i/p signal for the SD matrix. The WB Method Select option should be set to 00 instead of 03.
post #28 of 57 Old 05-14-2010, 10:44 AM

I just got a 50G20 and am using D-Nice's THX settings. I think they look fantastic - and the brightness and contrast settings are both pretty close to 50. I plan on using these settings and may check out the slides this weekend. We'll see. I believe the slides are valuable but I am just Joe Average TV Watcher and I think I will still be taking more precautions than the vast majority of plasma TV owners.

I watch almost all programming in HD and always watch in Zoom mode during the break in period. I may sneak in a DVD or two but then try and use Zoom as much as possible (no bars).
post #29 of 57 Old 05-14-2010, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

where do you find the Zoom option?
post #30 of 57 Old 05-14-2010, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:

where do you find the Zoom option?

You press the Format key on the remote

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Darbee DVP-5000S, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - https://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page