The Official LG PX950 3DTV Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #61 of 2131 Old 09-25-2010, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaco View Post

I think First Person Shooters and fast-paced arcade games such as Geometry Wars 2 will be most affected. In basketball sports and racing you have a greater sense of prediction so that you can adjust for any slight input lag when you play, which will automatically be a habit. I'm honestly not sure you'd notice very much in those games.

On a positive note:
When doing the input lag tests I restarted all of the video settings I had made when I set game mode. Yesterday I discovered (or rediscovered) that "Edge Enchancement" is enabled by default in game mode. It may had been placebo, but Halo: ODST felt a little more responsive after turned it off. I was actually enjoying my Halo: ODST experience a lot more yesterday than I was the first time around some days ago. EH off improvd input lag? Some other unknown factor improved input lag? Nothing improved and I'm just starting to adapt and get better with the analogue sticks again? I don't know yet, but I will do some objective testing again with Game Mode + Edge Enhancement off. At least there is a slim hope of a little improvement in the input lag department now

I don't know if it's firmware fixable, but I would think it's hardware related. Still can't rule it out and I'm certainly going to put a notice to LG.

I really hope to see some improvement in the tests because I was seeing DVE HD Basics by Joe Kane yesterday and I almost decided to definitely keep this set until 60" 4k OLEDs hit the market because of it. I so much liked the picture in total darkness. I have to study a good deal today but I will have a little time for some more Halo ODST gaming and I will try and further assess input lag now after EH got turned off.

It's a lovely TV stand. Actually I have been procrastinating a video review of it for quite some time now, I might take it up this weekend after all

ok, thanks! Man, I hope it doesn't bother me on the input lag, but unless u post a video or I convince some store to hook up an xbox 360 to it, i guess i'm just gonna have to take a gamble on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2131 Old 09-25-2010, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Gaco,

Can you test Killzone 2 again, with edge enhancement off and see if you notice any improvement?
post #63 of 2131 Old 09-25-2010, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 198
...and talk a little about your stand. In fact,
repost a picture of the display with the stand
as I didn't know which picture had the best
shot of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 2131 Old 09-25-2010, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

This is really, really odd. But in a good way. The games definitely seems more responsive than when I first switched it on a week ago. I've tried looking in circles in Halo: ODST while switching Edge Enhancement back and fourth and it doesn't seem to make a difference. But input lag does seem less and I have decided that this TV is a keeper now. It didn't interfere with my gaming experiences today. It certainly doesn't feel worse than the majority of the other flatpanels I've tried recently. I don't know what's going on, but I might do a few input lag tests tomorrow again. Either 60 ms isn't so bad after all or it has improved somehow. To be honest I think it's a mix of the two. I think that input lag has gotten better somehow and I've become better with console gamerpad controls once again. I'm pretty happy about this turn of events anyway as I won't be looking to replace this TV for a long time now - probably until the big OLED's are mainstream, big in size and affordable, and I got the money.

The Dark Knight was fantastic to watch. I thought I spotted slight lipsync issues with audio coming slightly before video but pretty sure it has more to do with PS3 and/or receiver than the TV. I only think I see this in the lossless soundtracks though, as everytime I think I see it I switch to Children of Men (nordic release) which only has a lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack and there's never any lipsync issues there. Hoping for a firmware update for PS3 and my Denon receiver, otherwise I might have to add some audio delay when watching HD audio tracks - but I hope it won't be necessary and I'll try doing nothing and watch closely during the next viewings.

Anyway impressions from the movie:
It simply looked stunning. Only one thing did bother me a little and that was that the blacks was not as deep as I wanted them to be, but this was only an issue in the screen when there the picture was almost total darkness. I'm was running THX Cinema profile which looked absolutely great otherwise, but I've realized that I might gain some on black level with a proper calibration. I'm going to try Rasmus' from Flatpanelshd settings when he reviews it soon and see how it compares. He did manage to get the PK950 down a little
But I'm still sometimes wow'ed by the picture, where I just say to say out loud how amazing it looks. Not bad after a full week plus a day. It's the picture quality paired with the size and viewing distance, no doubt.
post #65 of 2131 Old 09-25-2010, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho89mtx View Post

ok, thanks! Man, I hope it doesn't bother me on the input lag, but unless u post a video or I convince some store to hook up an xbox 360 to it, i guess i'm just gonna have to take a gamble on it

Do that. I think there's a greater chance you'll find it acceptable than there is you'll find it unacceptable. As mentioned it seems better to me now, although I have no idea why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1289 View Post

Hi Gaco,

Can you test Killzone 2 again, with edge enhancement off and see if you notice any improvement?

Sorry but no way.. I'm not touching that piece of garbage again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post

...and talk a little about your stand. In fact,
repost a picture of the display with the stand
as I didn't know which picture had the best
shot of it.

It's hard to take a picture since it's so black. Can't to it now anyway because it's dark. I'll take a few tomorrow and with some luck post the video review.
post #66 of 2131 Old 09-25-2010, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What stand did you buy for it? I can go
look at the pictures from the manufacturer's
website.

Thanks!!!
post #67 of 2131 Old 09-26-2010, 06:24 AM

Quote:

This is really, really odd. But in a good way. The games definitely seems more responsive than when I first switched it on a week ago. .

I found the same thing with my input-laggy LG 50PK550. When I first got it in Apr I found some games v hard to play, esp. Killzone 2. Since then I've adjusted somewhat. No problems with Super Stardust, which IIRC you mentioned. It would be preferable to have less lag. But it was either that or rising, floating black levels ....

"... we wonÂt be stopping plasma production any time soon. We see it going on for another ten years." -- Kevin Lee, VP, Smart TV Partnerships (Samsung), 1/7/11
post #68 of 2131 Old 09-26-2010, 07:11 AM

Hi,
What actually is a difference between 950 and 990? Are they sharing the same panel etc? As I only was able to find is that 990 has a freeview hd built in whereas 950 hasn't.
post #69 of 2131 Old 09-26-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:

This is really, really odd. But in a good way. The games definitely seems more responsive than when I first switched it on a week ago. I've tried looking in circles in Halo: ODST while switching Edge Enhancement back and fourth and it doesn't seem to make a difference. But input lag does seem less and I have decided that this TV is a keeper now. It didn't interfere with my gaming experiences today. It certainly doesn't feel worse than the majority of the other flatpanels I've tried recently. I don't know what's going on, but I might do a few input lag tests tomorrow again. Either 60 ms isn't so bad after all or it has improved somehow. To be honest I think it's a mix of the two. I think that input lag has gotten better somehow and I've become better with console gamerpad controls once again. I'm pretty happy about this turn of events anyway as I won't be looking to replace this TV for a long time now - probably until the big OLED's are mainstream, big in size and affordable, and I got the money.

The Dark Knight was fantastic to watch. I thought I spotted slight lipsync issues with audio coming slightly before video but pretty sure it has more to do with PS3 and/or receiver than the TV. I only think I see this in the lossless soundtracks though, as everytime I think I see it I switch to Children of Men (nordic release) which only has a lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack and there's never any lipsync issues there. Hoping for a firmware update for PS3 and my Denon receiver, otherwise I might have to add some audio delay when watching HD audio tracks - but I hope it won't be necessary and I'll try doing nothing and watch closely during the next viewings.

Anyway impressions from the movie:
It simply looked stunning. Only one thing did bother me a little and that was that the blacks was not as deep as I wanted them to be, but this was only an issue in the screen when there the picture was almost total darkness. I'm was running THX Cinema profile which looked absolutely great otherwise, but I've realized that I might gain some on black level with a proper calibration. I'm going to try Rasmus' from Flatpanelshd settings when he reviews it soon and see how it compares. He did manage to get the PK950 down a little
But I'm still sometimes wow'ed by the picture, where I just say to say out loud how amazing it looks. Not bad after a full week plus a day. It's the picture quality paired with the size and viewing distance, no doubt.

Hi Gaco, Nice to see your pleased with the LG, I'm just waiting on the 50" to arrive on our shores , The 60 is just to big for me!,

I wondered if you could please check something for me,

Is one of the HDMi ports labelled with 'ARC' (Audio return control) ?, It may say something about it in the Manual,
My now returned VT20 Pana had this and it allowed Audio from the internal Tuner to pass through my Surround which was great,

Thanks for your help
post #70 of 2131 Old 09-26-2010, 04:24 PM

Gaco, can you post up a video showing some Halo gameplay footage on this set?

Thanx
post #71 of 2131 Old 09-26-2010, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Amazon.co.uk showing 2-5 weeks for delivery, can't decide whether to wait for this or get the Samsung LE46C750 (LN46C750 in US) with free blu-ray player, offer ends on Thursday though so not long to make up my mind!
post #72 of 2131 Old 09-26-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zAndy12 View Post

Amazon.co.uk showing 2-5 weeks for delivery, can't decide whether to wait for this or get the Samsung LE46C750 (LN46C750 in US) with free blu-ray player, offer ends on Thursday though so not long to make up my mind!

your considering a 46" compared to a 60"? There's a huge difference in that size. I have a 57" currently and when I go over to my father n law's his 50" looks so small compared to mine, I couldn't imagine comparing a 60" to a 46" in size. It would be l ike twice the tv! Definately wait and go with the 60" if I were you. I have been tracking this tv for like 3 months now because the reviews on the 60PK950 on cnet were incredible! It was literally the only big screen they reviewed that could properly handle 1080p/24 without any artifacts and the px950 is all that plus 3d with 2d to 3d coversions. If you even look at the panasonic V25 on the cnet reviews, they saw artifacts in the 1080p/24, but not in the LG pk950 and that's about 2k more to spend. This is definately the TV to wait for IMO. I found a place here in the uS that has it in stock and free shipping, click on bizrate.com and type in and you'll see it
post #73 of 2131 Old 09-27-2010, 01:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

your considering a 46" compared to a 60"? There's a huge difference in that size. I have a 57" currently and when I go over to my father n law's his 50" looks so small compared to mine, I couldn't imagine comparing a 60" to a 46" in size. It would be l ike twice the tv! Definately wait and go with the 60" if I were you. I have been tracking this tv for like 3 months now because the reviews on the 60PK950 on cnet were incredible! It was literally the only big screen they reviewed that could properly handle 1080p/24 without any artifacts and the px950 is all that plus 3d with 2d to 3d coversions. If you even look at the panasonic V25 on the cnet reviews, they saw artifacts in the 1080p/24, but not in the LG pk950 and that's about 2k more to spend. This is definately the TV to wait for IMO. I found a place here in the uS that has it in stock and free shipping, click on bizrate.com and type in and you'll see it

No, sorry for the confusion, it's the 50" LG I'm considering , can't afford the 60" unfortunately
post #74 of 2131 Old 09-27-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:

No, sorry for the confusion, it's the 50" LG I'm considering , can't afford the 60" unfortunately

How much are u wanting to spend? I found that 60" right now for a good price(can't say on this website) on a website, but they don't have financing, so I can't do it
post #75 of 2131 Old 09-27-2010, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

How much are u wanting to spend? I found that 60" right now for a good price(can't say on this website) on a website, but they don't have financing, so I can't do it

I'm in the UK by the way Max budget I've got is £1500
post #76 of 2131 Old 09-27-2010, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

What stand did you buy for it? I can go
look at the pictures from the manufacturer's
website.

Thanks!!!

Alphason (Soundstyle Series) FW1350 Black:

http://www.alphasondesigns.com/produ...=1341&CatID=64

Will be posting a video reviews on amazon.co.uk one of these days, link will be posted here also

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt73 View Post

I found the same thing with my input-laggy LG 50PK550. When I first got it in Apr I found some games v hard to play, esp. Killzone 2. Since then I've adjusted somewhat. No problems with Super Stardust, which IIRC you mentioned. It would be preferable to have less lag. But it was either that or rising, floating black levels ....

I just feel like the difference, although small, yet is too great to be in my brain only.. but then again the brain is a pretty powerful piece of hardware isn't it

All I know is that input lag acceptable to me for gaming after all. Hoping to see some other folks doing input lag tests also because I'm not sure I want to go through it all again. Now I'm satisfied after all, I'd rather just be happy with it than analyze it to pieces, if you know what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panman44 View Post

Hi Gaco, Nice to see your pleased with the LG, I'm just waiting on the 50" to arrive on our shores , The 60 is just to big for me!,

I wondered if you could please check something for me,

Is one of the HDMi ports labelled with 'ARC' (Audio return control) ?, It may say something about it in the Manual,
My now returned VT20 Pana had this and it allowed Audio from the internal Tuner to pass through my Surround which was great,

Thanks for your help

Nope they're just called HDMI 1, 2, 3 and 4. Manual makes no mention of "ARC" and "Audio Return Channel" as far as I can see. This is surprising to me since it's 3D compatible and therefore must be HDMI 1.4 - or so I would guess. I'm going to ask Rasmus from flatpanelshd to check and see if he can get it to work during his tests, otherwise I might call LG.

Quote:

Gaco, can you post up a video showing some Halo gameplay footage on this set?

Thanx

Sure. Here you go:

Bonus: Some DJ Hero gameplay I shot but forgot about -

Halo: ODST - A bit if gameplay and input lag test -
A bit of gameplay and input lag test by clicking the analogue stick and seeing how quickly the weapon zooms in. As you can see it's not bad at all. It's more felt than seen. And as I've said I think I've seen some improvement here since I first purchased and set up the TV set, but I have no idea why and it might all be in my head. Bottom line is that it's well good enough as it stands now and I'm a PC gamer throughout many years

Halo ODST - More gameplay (in 4 parts)
- part 1:
- part 2:
Just playing to show that you can still rock (and suck) at it, get headshots (and die miserably by falling). Still getting used to analogue sticks after many years of mouse only so I'm not at my best all the time here, but this at least show that games are fully playable, and for me enjoyable after all.
Parts 3 and 4 will be uploaded monday next week when my weekly upload quota in Vimeo gets refilled.

Quote:

Don't! Really just save up some more, it's totally and 100% worth it! If your GF/Wife is holding you back, well then bribe her with something!
post #77 of 2131 Old 09-27-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:

I'm in the UK by the way Max budget I've got is £1500

what is that in american dollars?
post #78 of 2131 Old 09-28-2010, 06:02 AM

Thanx for the update Gaco! It's looking good
post #79 of 2131 Old 09-28-2010, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

...now based on the video of Hero gameplay
it looks like the display has some outstanding
black levels. But then again, you are showing
it videotaped and I am unsure if that affects
anything.
post #80 of 2131 Old 09-28-2010, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Alphason (Soundstyle Series) FW1350 Black:

http://www.alphasondesigns.com/produ...=1341&CatID=64

Will be posting a video reviews on amazon.co.uk one of these days, link will be posted here also

I just feel like the difference, although small, yet is too great to be in my brain only.. but then again the brain is a pretty powerful piece of hardware isn't it

All I know is that input lag acceptable to me for gaming after all. Hoping to see some other folks doing input lag tests also because I'm not sure I want to go through it all again. Now I'm satisfied after all, I'd rather just be happy with it than analyze it to pieces, if you know what I mean.

Nope they're just called HDMI 1, 2, 3 and 4. Manual makes no mention of "ARC" and "Audio Return Channel" as far as I can see. This is surprising to me since it's 3D compatible and therefore must be HDMI 1.4 - or so I would guess. I'm going to ask Rasmus from flatpanelshd to check and see if he can get it to work during his tests, otherwise I might call LG.

Sure. Here you go:

Bonus: Some DJ Hero gameplay I shot but forgot about -

Halo: ODST - A bit if gameplay and input lag test -
A bit of gameplay and input lag test by clicking the analogue stick and seeing how quickly the weapon zooms in. As you can see it's not bad at all. It's more felt than seen. And as I've said I think I've seen some improvement here since I first purchased and set up the TV set, but I have no idea why and it might all be in my head. Bottom line is that it's well good enough as it stands now and I'm a PC gamer throughout many years

Halo ODST - More gameplay (in 4 parts)
- part 1:
- part 2:
Just playing to show that you can still rock (and suck) at it, get headshots (and die miserably by falling). Still getting used to analogue sticks after many years of mouse only so I'm not at my best all the time here, but this at least show that games are fully playable, and for me enjoyable after all.
Parts 3 and 4 will be uploaded monday next week when my weekly upload quota in Vimeo gets refilled.

Don't! Really just save up some more, it's totally and 100% worth it! If your GF/Wife is holding you back, well then bribe her with something!

could you post this on you tube.
post #81 of 2131 Old 09-28-2010, 12:41 PM

Thanks for checking that , a bit dissapointing as im sure all the other 3D sets from other manufacturers have the 'ARC',
post #82 of 2131 Old 09-28-2010, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Gotta tell you, things are happing fast
and I am a little nervous.

I am very, very proud to have won a
50" display from LG -- and I am looking
into paying the difference in upgrading it
to a 60".

They will be shipping it this week.

However, the Panasonic 65VT25 is the
benchmark in 3D plasma.

Wish I could get a fix on this LG display.
Nobody...but nobody has posted an official
review of the display and how it stands up
against the Panny.

I don't expect this LG to be able to go
neck-and-neck with the top-of-the-line
Panasonic that incorporates Kuro technology
in the display. However, I would like to know
that this LG rates very high in overall picture
quality and dependability.

If anyone sees any official reviews please
let me know.
post #83 of 2131 Old 09-28-2010, 05:11 PM

The 3D THX mode is supposed to match cinema quality, which the VT25 lacks.

Not saying VT25 is a bad set but I'm assuming color accuracy and brightness levels will be better on the PX990 due to the THX.
post #84 of 2131 Old 09-28-2010, 05:15 PM

@Gaco,

Do you know the response time for this set?

Other 3D plasmas by Panasonic and Samsung have a response time of 0.001ms
post #85 of 2131 Old 09-28-2010, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wow, that is the first time I have ever heard someone
say that the LG could give the Panny a run for its money.
post #86 of 2131 Old 09-28-2010, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

...now based on the video of Hero gameplay
it looks like the display has some outstanding
black levels. But then again, you are showing
it videotaped and I am unsure if that affects
anything.

The recording does give the wrong impression. Blacks appear better than they really are, but on the other hand reflections in the panel appear worse than they really are. But the black level is not bad, no

Quote:
Originally Posted by panman44 View Post

Thanks for checking that , a bit dissapointing as im sure all the other 3D sets from other manufacturers have the 'ARC',

I've not given up on this yet, I've just not gotten it to work yet

Quote:

Gotta tell you, things are happing fast
and I am a little nervous.

I am very, very proud to have won a
50" display from LG -- and I am looking
into paying the difference in upgrading it
to a 60".

They will be shipping it this week.

However, the Panasonic 65VT25 is the
benchmark in 3D plasma.

Wish I could get a fix on this LG display.
Nobody...but nobody has posted an official
review of the display and how it stands up
against the Panny.

I don't expect this LG to be able to go
neck-and-neck with the top-of-the-line
Panasonic that incorporates Kuro technology
in the display. However, I would like to know
that this LG rates very high in overall picture
quality and dependability.

If anyone sees any official reviews please
let me know.

I'm 99% sure that the VT20 would have a better picture too. The VT20 is also capable of making a somewhat picture I think (although this is not necessarily preferable to use). Overall picture quality is very likely better on the VT20 from what I've read and seen myself.

It's true that it remains to be seen how the LG does against the Panny in 3D, and I haven't had the chance to watch a 3D BD myself, but from what I've seen, though it's not perfect, I'm satisfied. With THX3D certification we should be garanteed at least a reasonable minimum level of 3D performance. The THX3D certification is the exact reason why I wasn't too worried about 3D quality when I bought the set, despite there not being any reviews.

But some other things must be considered IMO. The PQ difference between the two is really not that big, especially on lowlight/nighttime. Also Panasonics 3D glasses suck. I know they're making new ones so that's good because the current ones are just bad in almost every way. Next up is buzzing. I've generally heard more buzzing from Panasonic plasma than from LG plasmas. Personally, this would be a major concern for me. Next is floating/rising blacks. Not a huge deal to me, but still worth considering. And last but not least, price. You get so much more value and screensize for your money from LG, especially if you have won one and only have to pay the 50"-60" price difference (good call on that too!). I would simply stay with the LG 60PX950 because, while it might not be THE best, it's certainly among the very best displays on the market and it has the potential, for a very good price, to serve you well through the LCD/Plasma age until the OLED age.
post #87 of 2131 Old 09-28-2010, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The 3D THX mode is supposed to match cinema quality, which the VT25 lacks.

Not saying VT25 is a bad set but I'm assuming color accuracy and brightness levels will be better on the PX990 due to the THX.

I think it's too uncertain to use the THX 3D cerfitication to say that the LG PX950 is better than the Panny VT20 for 3D. I personally suspect that VT20 might still be the best, but PX950 is not very far behind. But we won't know until professional reviews

Quote:

@Gaco,

Do you know the response time for this set?

Other 3D plasmas by Panasonic and Samsung have a response time of 0.001ms

Nope I don't but I honestly doubt that any plasma has 0.001ms response time.

The most important thing to me is that all motion have looked very sharp and natural to me. Sometimes when I look closely I notice that there's slightly more "plasma noise" around objects in high motion, but they still look sharp and nice. I am very satisfied with motion handling on this TV set
post #88 of 2131 Old 09-28-2010, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Gaco,

As long as you are satisfied with the display and
have good things to say about your 2D and 3D experience
then I feel good about staying with the LG brand.

I haven't really read anything strongly negative from
you about this display. That makes me feel comfortable.

Yeah, I'd love to read some professional reviews, but it's
those from consumers like yourself that are equally, if not
more important.
post #89 of 2131 Old 09-28-2010, 06:49 PM

@Gaco

In which area do you find the VT25 to be better... i.e. 3D picture, 2D picture, motion handling, black levels, reflections etc...

Also have you had the chance to test a 3D Blu-ray movie?
post #90 of 2131 Old 09-29-2010, 01:46 AM

@Gaco

flatpanelshd have the 60px950 in for a review (received it last week). The review should be available this week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page