Official Samsung 2011 PNxxD7000 Thread - Page 32 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #931 of 4176 Old 05-05-2011, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter52 View Post

Any of you guys have any problems with the Samsung remote App working with the I-Pad to work the TV?

Even though the app has some bugs for the most part it works with my tv(pn51d7000). are you having a problem with the app recognizing your Tv?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 4176 Old 05-05-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

How does anyone know that the brightness fluctuation isn't being caused by the auto-exposure function in the broadcast television cameras themselves? If so, of course it would show up when watching on your TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zogy View Post

Yup that's definitely true. What we need is for someone with a D7000 or D8000 that is experiencing the ABL effect,to DVR the Hockey game and then view the suspect segments on an LCD and then we will know if it is the PDP or the source ..... anyone have such a set up?

Sorry for the late reply or if this has already been discussed in another response.

I also have an LCD TV in another room, so when I noticed this on the Samsung, I turned on the LCD and didn't see any dimming or changes in the picture during this game. I did DVR the game, but I didn't watch the DVR from the LCD. Since the dimming was very predictable ( every time the camera panned to the right end of the rink ) I didn't think it was needed.

So this could be a bad panel? ( i hope, i hope )

A bad panel could explain a second 'condition' that we've been seeing. Over the last couple weeks that i've had the new Samsung, my wife has been reporting that the panel would just 'black out' for about 5 seconds, but there was still audio just no picture. I had never seen it, but thought it was very weird.

Finally, last night I saw it too. Right in the middle of a program, the screen just went all black, but I still heard the audio continue as if the picture was on the screen. This happened 2 times while watching different shows last night. We don't watch many DVDs so this has only been noticed on cable so far.

What I noticed was:

The red light did not blink on the TV ( i.e power flucuation )
The TV did not display the Inputs on the screen ( like it had an HDMI re-sync problem from the Cable box or receiver ).
Audio still worked fine, just a black screen when there shouldn't have been a black screen.
Both times it was about 5 seconds of black screen before the picture came back.
Panel was not warm to the touch, so i don't believe it was heat related.

My setup is from the Comcast Cable box, HDMI to a new Yamaha 667 Receiver, then HDMI to the TV.

Both the Cable box and the receiver looked normal, no screen changes. From my wifes report, this started occuring BEFORE the receiver was placed in the middle, so I don't believe this is a receiver issue.

Any ideas? I'm going to call Samsung but anyone else seen this yet?
post #933 of 4176 Old 05-05-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR1963 View Post

My local Future Shop guy says they will get the 7000's but they were delayed because some of the parts come from Japan............he said it should be about two weeks from now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obveron View Post

I would love confirmation on this, because I've heard otherwise. Canada will not get the D7000. I hope your Future Shop guy is right.

Yeah I'll believe it when Samsung puts the D7000 on their Canadian website...it still shows C7000 for 7-series while the 8-series and 6-series have been updated to D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #934 of 4176 Old 05-05-2011, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz11 View Post

Sorry for the late reply or if this has already been discussed in another response.

I also have an LCD TV in another room, so when I noticed this on the Samsung, I turned on the LCD and didn't see any dimming or changes in the picture during this game. I did DVR the game, but I didn't watch the DVR from the LCD. Since the dimming was very predictable ( every time the camera panned to the right end of the rink ) I didn't think it was needed.

So this could be a bad panel? ( i hope, i hope )

A bad panel could explain a second 'condition' that we've been seeing. Over the last couple weeks that i've had the new Samsung, my wife has been reporting that the panel would just 'black out' for about 5 seconds, but there was still audio just no picture. I had never seen it, but thought it was very weird.

Finally, last night I saw it too. Right in the middle of a program, the screen just went all black, but I still heard the audio continue as if the picture was on the screen. This happened 2 times while watching different shows last night. We don't watch many DVDs so this has only been noticed on cable so far.

What I noticed was:

The red light did not blink on the TV ( i.e power flucuation )
The TV did not display the Inputs on the screen ( like it had an HDMI re-sync problem from the Cable box or receiver ).
Audio still worked fine, just a black screen when there shouldn't have been a black screen.
Both times it was about 5 seconds of black screen before the picture came back.
Panel was not warm to the touch, so i don't believe it was heat related.

I had a similar issue and it was due to bad HDMI cables. Once I replaced my cables I never had the issue again.

"my credenza allows me to conceal tech geekiness...while giving a euro cabinet furniture impression... " - jaybrubin
post #935 of 4176 Old 05-05-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpestrada74 View Post
I had a similar issue and it was due to bad HDMI cables. Once I replaced my cables I never had the issue again.
Thanks for the tip, i'll have try this out.
post #936 of 4176 Old 05-05-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowfaster

Even though the app has some bugs for the most part it works with my tv(pn51d7000). are you having a problem with the app recognizing your Tv?
Yup!
post #937 of 4176 Old 05-05-2011, 03:23 PM

I have some connection questions that I'm hoping you all might be able to help me out with.
Here's my set up:
I have a yamaha YSP2200 sound bar. I have my all my components, hooked up to it (DVD, Cable Box, PS3) and then I have the soundbar connected to my D7000.

For the most part, everything works great.
My question is, with this setup, when I run pandora or something similar on the TV, how can I hear it through the soundbar. When I choose an app, it runs but all I hear is the sound of whatever component is activated on the soundbar.
I'd also like to possibly connect my PS3 directly to the TV to try and eliminated some lag but I would have the same issue with sound. Am I missing something? Thanks very much for any help!
post #938 of 4176 Old 05-05-2011, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdac1975 View Post
I have some connection questions that I'm hoping you all might be able to help me out with.
Here's my set up:
I have a yamaha YSP2200 sound bar. I have my all my components, hooked up to it (DVD, Cable Box, PS3) and then I have the soundbar connected to my D7000.

My question is, with this setup, when I run pandora or something similar on the TV, how can I hear it through the soundbar. When I choose an app, it runs but all I hear is the sound of whatever component is activated on the soundbar.
I'd also like to possibly connect my PS3 directly to the TV to try and eliminated some lag but I would have the same issue with sound. Am I missing something? Thanks very much for any help!
For an audio source that doesn't first pass through the AVR (such as something networked into the TV), you'll need to hook up an optical cable from the TV to the AVR. This way, the TV can output sound to the AVR and then to the speakers. The alternative is to just use the TV's speakers but I doubt that's what you're looking for.
post #939 of 4176 Old 05-05-2011, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snejenka View Post
My household is all Mac and I'm trying to do exactly that, but it's not easy finding a good DLNA server for Mac. I've heard suggestions, but none that work really well so far. My receiver should be able to stream FLAC files to as well but haven't been able to yet. I still need to pick one and tinker with the file formats of what I want to send.

I'm thinking of going the NAS route.
Another option for streaming from your iMac:

Buy a $99 Apple TV and connect it to your AVR. Then stream movies directly from your Mac. (Note: The free Handbrake application can import .mkv files and convert them into Apple TV-compatible movies.) It works great!
post #940 of 4176 Old 05-05-2011, 04:49 PM

Hey guys quick question. I get a lot of pixelating on my tv 6-8 times an hour at least and sometimes some quick freezing 1-3 seconds. WHY IS THIS? I have changed out the HDMI cables, DVR box has been replaced, modem has been replaced, wall plates replaced, the box outside replaced. And it still pixelates! It only happens on the cable not DVD or Bluray or xbox. Can anyone give me an answer because UVERSE can't fix this!!! I thought fiber optics was the best! My 64D7000 comes in next week and I want to enjoy a good picture!
post #941 of 4176 Old 05-05-2011, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
AT&T Uverse TV is pretty terrible. The video is very compressed and exhibits lots of artifacts. I had it for 6 months and really didn't like it. I'd give AT&T another call and threaten to leave for DirecTV if they don't get their problems worked out.
post #942 of 4176 Old 05-05-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkle View Post

AT&T Uverse TV is pretty terrible. The video is very compressed and exhibits lots of artifacts. I had it for 6 months and really didn't like it. I'd give AT&T another call and threaten to leave for DirecTV if they don't get their problems worked out.

LOL.....I have threaten them. They have been out a dozen times!! And the pixelating is still there!! They only reason I stay is they knock off $50 on my monthly bill. But this pixelating is getting old.
post #943 of 4176 Old 05-05-2011, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Yesterday evening, I got my pn64d7000 out of the box and up one the wall. That's when things got interesting.

The TV played great for about 20 minutes. Then, all of sudden an "error?" message started popping up in the middle of the screen saying "Not Available." Then things really started going screwy. The little red LED at the bottom left corner that blinks with remote activity started going berserk. I pressed "tools" on the remote and the selection kept scrolling through the options even though I wasn't using the remote! I even took the batteries out of the remote, but it wouldn't stop.

I couldn't even get the TV to turn off! The remote activity was so rapid that I couldn't even interupt it long enough to turn off the TV. I call tech support, they tell me to unplug the TV... except that I can't reach the plug without taking the TV off the wall. So, I have to trip the breaker down in the basement. Finally, that turns the TV off.

Anyway, I think I figured out the problem. After I turned off the TV, I turned it back on and started hunting through the options. Turns out, there's some sort of "network controller" option (I don't think I have that name right) and it was toggled on. Essentially, it allows you to use your iPhone or other smart phone as a remote control. I think the TV was picking up a wireless signal, was interpreting it as a remote control, and started going nuts. That's my best theory. Problem hasn't come back since I turned off that option.

PQ is quite good, but it does need a calibration. Would someone please link to some good settings (probably buried somewhere in the thread)?

Also, can I deactivate the "TV" and "PC" inputs on the Source menu? I'd like to just roll through the 3 HDMI sourcesI have connected.

Finally, the TV does have a "buzz" that I can hear from a few feet away if I turn off my receiver. I guess this is what people are talking about? I could care less, as I like to watch TV with sound, and from farther away than a few feet.
post #944 of 4176 Old 05-06-2011, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirak View Post

PQ is quite good, but it does need a calibration. Would someone please link to some good settings (probably buried somewhere in the thread)?

Someone just posted their calibration yesterday. I tried the settings and think it looks quite good.

http://www.**************.com/showth...l=1#post226154

Well it won't let me link to HD Junk-eez.c om so I will just paste the settings for you. The poster of these settings has a 64d7000 so they should be perfect for you.

2D

Pic Mode - Movie
Cell Light - 20
Contrast - 95 (42fL)
Brightness - 57
Sharpness - 10
Color - 50
Tint - 50/50
Screen Adjustment - Screen Fit

Advanced Settings:

Black Tone - Off
Dynamic Contrast - Off
Gamma - 0

Color Space - Custom
Red - 51,56,38
Green - 95,53,0
Blue - 25,0,54
Yellow - 55,72,39
Cyan - 100,63,80
Magenta - 55,80,78

White Balance:
R Off - 28
G Off - 22
B Off - 21
R Gain - 15
G Grain - 25
B Gain - 25

10 Pt White Balance:
1=-1,0,1
2=1,1,2
3=3,3,3
4=1,2,3
5=0,0,3
6=-3,-1,0
7=-4,-3,-2
8=-8,-7,-7
9=-7,-6,-7
10=-1,0,-3

Flesh tone - 0
EE - 0
Motion Light - 0
xvYCC - 0

Picture Options:

Color Tone - Warm2
DNF - Off
MNF - Off

Film Mode - Auto1 for 1080i, Cinema Smooth for 1080p/24

3D

Pic Mode - Movie
Cell - 20
Contrast - 95
Brightness - 45
Sharpness - 10
Color - 50
Tint - 50/50

Advanced Settings:

All same except

Gamma - -3

White Balance:
R Off - 28
G Off - 20
B Off - 24
R Gain - 25
G Gain - 25
B Gan - 21
post #945 of 4176 Old 05-06-2011, 04:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmatron View Post

Someone just posted their calibration yesterday. I tried the settings and think it looks quite good.

Try to search on google : HDJ Official-Samsung-PNxxD7000-and-PNxxD8000-Owner-s-Discussion

HDJ link are not allowed on AVS
post #946 of 4176 Old 05-06-2011, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZamora View Post

LOL.....I have threaten them. They have been out a dozen times!! And the pixelating is still there!! They only reason I stay is they knock off $50 on my monthly bill. But this pixelating is getting old.

From your description it does sound like the problem is with the video source coming in to your TV (thus it's ATT fault). I would have suggested replacing your DVR, but since you have already done this my guess is that ATT is actually compressing the pixelation into the video stream - meaning your DVR and TV are displaying the picture properly, it's just a sucky picture.

As a last resort you could ask ATT to swap out the DVR with their newest box (cause they probably just replaced it with the same model last time). If that doesn't fix it, dump them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdac1975 View Post

Here's my set up:

Another guy mentioned something about your AVR (Audio/Video Receiver) but you didn't mention that you had one, so ignore that guy.

Your particular soundbar does have ARC (Audio Return Channel) but the D7000 series TVs don't. Your soundbar does have an optical input - so you can run an optical cable from your TV to the soundbar. You can hook your PS3 directly to the TV if you would like. Now the audio from your PS3 and any of the apps (Pandora, Netflix, etc.) will run through the TV and to the soundbar.
post #947 of 4176 Old 05-06-2011, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I notice alot of people's calibration seem to have a very high contrast setting. Is a 95 setting on contrast safe? I know the brightness is jacked up to near 100, but I just want to make sure that such a high setting won't have a negative long term impact on the set.

Vizio P65-F1
Sony DN1080 Receiver
Samsung H5900 Blu-Ray Player
Goldenear Supercinema 3D
Goldenear Forcefield 3 subwoofer
post #948 of 4176 Old 05-06-2011, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmatron View Post

Well it won't let me link to HD Junk-eez.c om so I will just paste the settings for you. The poster of these settings has a 64d7000 so they should be perfect for you.

2D

Pic Mode - Movie
Cell Light - 20
Contrast - 95 (42fL)
Brightness - 57
Sharpness - 10
Color - 50
Tint - 50/50
Screen Adjustment - Screen Fit

Advanced Settings:

Black Tone - Off
Dynamic Contrast - Off
Gamma - 0

Color Space - Custom
Red - 51,56,38
Green - 95,53,0
Blue - 25,0,54
Yellow - 55,72,39
Cyan - 100,63,80
Magenta - 55,80,78

White Balance:
R Off - 28
G Off - 22
B Off - 21
R Gain - 15
G Grain - 25
B Gain - 25

10 Pt White Balance:
1=-1,0,1
2=1,1,2
3=3,3,3
4=1,2,3
5=0,0,3
6=-3,-1,0
7=-4,-3,-2
8=-8,-7,-7
9=-7,-6,-7
10=-1,0,-3

Flesh tone - 0
EE - 0
Motion Light - 0
xvYCC - 0

Picture Options:

Color Tone - Warm2
DNF - Off
MNF - Off

Film Mode - Auto1 for 1080i, Cinema Smooth for 1080p/24

3D

Pic Mode - Movie
Cell - 20
Contrast - 95
Brightness - 45
Sharpness - 10
Color - 50
Tint - 50/50

Advanced Settings:

All same except

Gamma - -3

White Balance:
R Off - 28
G Off - 20
B Off - 24
R Gain - 25
G Gain - 25
B Gan - 21

Cool, I'll give these a try. I haven't done an calibaton yet. Can I do all of this through the user interface, or do I need to go into the service menu?
post #949 of 4176 Old 05-06-2011, 09:54 AM

Is there a way to create and store more than one custom setting? I would like to customize the movie mode to my personal preferences for nighttime viewing and customize the standard or dynamic mode to my personal preferences for daytime viewing.
post #950 of 4176 Old 05-06-2011, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
There are instructions on how to enable the CAL-DAY and CAL-NIGHT presets in the OP.
post #951 of 4176 Old 05-06-2011, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirak View Post

Cool, I'll give these a try. I haven't done an calibaton yet. Can I do all of this through the user interface, or do I need to go into the service menu?

All those settings are accessible in the UI
post #952 of 4176 Old 05-06-2011, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2574 Post(s)
Liked: 2255
Quote:
Originally Posted by GZamora View Post

I know of two other people in my area that have had issues with AT&T Uverse. Issues with freezing, crappy compression, and one person is having phone issues in addition to broadcasting problems.
post #953 of 4176 Old 05-06-2011, 01:36 PM

I am seriously considering this tv in the 59" size. Question - does this tv have a RF input so I can connect my antenna input directly into the tv? If not, how can I feed the input from my outdoor antenna directly into the tv's digital tuner?

Thanks in advance for any help.
post #954 of 4176 Old 05-06-2011, 02:05 PM

Just got off the phone with Samsung and they are sending me the two pairs of glasses! Kudos to Samsung!

"my credenza allows me to conceal tech geekiness...while giving a euro cabinet furniture impression... " - jaybrubin
post #955 of 4176 Old 05-06-2011, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Just got off the phone with Samsung and they are sending me the two pairs of glasses! Kudos to Samsung!

Awesome! Still no buzzing after taking out the surge protector?
post #956 of 4176 Old 05-06-2011, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Where'd you buy the TV from? Did the store mention 2 glasses or the 3D Starter Kit? Which model TV did you get again? Thanks!
post #957 of 4176 Old 05-06-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koffas View Post

There are instructions on how to enable the CAL-DAY and CAL-NIGHT presets in the OP.

Thanks for the info. I was unable to find the instructions in the C7000 user manual. I have not yet found the D7000 manual online. So, I went to my local Fry's Electronics and asked the salesman to show me how to do it. The store did not have a D7000 on the floor, but did have a D8000. Unfortunately, he was unable to find these settings anywhere in the menu.

Where exactly does one access the CAL-DAY and CAL-NIGHT settings?
post #958 of 4176 Old 05-06-2011, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
As koffas mentioned in the original post, you can find detailed instructions here:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=5027
post #959 of 4176 Old 05-06-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkle View Post

As koffas mentioned in the original post, you can find detailed instructions here:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=5027

Terrific! Thanks! When I get the settings adjusted to my liking, will the Day/Night options show up somewhere in the regular or advanced menu so that I can select one or the other saved settings as needed?
post #960 of 4176 Old 05-06-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaychamp View Post

Awesome! Still no buzzing after taking out the surge protector?

Still no buzzing and I let the burn-in disc run over night again. Buzzing seems to be gone now. The Samsung technician still wants to come out to check it out but I'm leery of letting them work on the TV when there really isn't anything wrong with it (as far as I'm concerned).

Quote:

Where'd you buy the TV from? Did the store mention 2 glasses or the 3D Starter Kit? Which model TV did you get again? Thanks!

I bought the TV through Electronics Expo (via Amazon). I have the PN64D7000. The store wasn't very helpful and said that the glasses are only provided by "participating dealers" and refused to help. Glad to see that Samsung is ready and willing to step up when the seller wasn't.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Bd D7000 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Silver , Samsung Pn51d7000 51 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv With Pn51d7000 Bdd5500 3d Blu Ray Player 2 Ssg

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page