New Plasma Cracked - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 02-10-2012, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got new plasma delivered at 10:00am.

Took the top of the box off and inspected it. Everything looked fine.

I was home all day, never left, never moved it, never plugged it in, never even touched it.

Son comes home from school at 3. We look at the TV, still in the box, and the screen is cracked. Big one from the top right to the bottom left. Several on the top left as well.

The only thing I can think of is the temperature difference ... it was in the 20's today. Any other thoughts on how this could happen?

Fortunately they are going to replace it, but still ... I'm stunned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 02-10-2012, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm assuming the crack is in a corner? Glass can contract(cold) and expand (heat) when quick variable of degree swings occur. It's like getting a small chip in your windshield. Fluctuations of temperature can and usually does expand the crack. With glass all it needs sometimes is just a small crack that's not even visible to the human eye. Look on the bright side; better now while it's in the box than a few days later.
post #3 of 28 Old 02-10-2012, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnar91 View Post

Got new plasma delivered at 10:00am.

Took the top of the box off and inspected it. Everything looked fine.

I was home all day, never left, never moved it, never plugged it in, never even touched it.

Son comes home from school at 3. We look at the TV, still in the box, and the screen is cracked. Big one from the top right to the bottom left. Several on the top left as well.

The only thing I can think of is the temperature difference ... it was in the 20's today. Any other thoughts on how this could happen?

Fortunately they are going to replace it, but still ... I'm stunned.

Where did you buy it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 02-10-2012, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

One crack runs diagonally from the top right to the bottom left. The rest of the cracks are on the top left corner.

Bought it from Amazon.

Just for kicks, I plugged it in. No picture and it just made a buzzing sound.
post #5 of 28 Old 02-10-2012, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 918
What's the brand and model?

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Darbee DVP-5000S, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - https://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #6 of 28 Old 02-10-2012, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Panasonic P60ST30
post #7 of 28 Old 02-10-2012, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hard to believe a temperature change would do that or we would hear of it much more often. I would bet it was that way all along and somehow you missed it on the first look.

TV - Panasonic 58PZ700U plasmaL/R - Ascend Sierra Towers with RAAL Tweets in piano blackC - Ascend Sierra Horizon with RAAL Tweet in piano blackSurr - Polk Fxi-A6Sub - SVS PC-13 UltraAVR - Denon X3500HBlu-ray - OPPO 103Comcast Set Top Box
post #8 of 28 Old 02-10-2012, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnar91 View Post

One crack runs diagonally from the top right to the bottom left. The rest of the cracks are on the top left corner.

Bought it from Amazon.

Just for kicks, I plugged it in. No picture and it just made a buzzing sound.

Have you tried calling them?
post #9 of 28 Old 02-10-2012, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I got 65ST30 and 59D550 delivered by Pilot from amzon. I saw them put the tv on its side a couple times. my first 65ST30 screen was cracked on the top left corner when it was opened.

it is possible that they could even put it upside down
post #10 of 28 Old 02-10-2012, 10:53 PM

Liked: 13
Probably a quality control issue! I am sure it will be replaced but it is a pain in the butt.
post #11 of 28 Old 02-13-2012, 04:49 AM

Liked: 11
I keep reading about issues like this with set ordered from Amazon. Has anyone gotten a set undamaged and problem free the first time around from them? I'm guessing its how they are handled during shipping. I know that some drivers consider "Fragile" and "This Side Up" to be more a guideline than an actual rule.

I bought my 60" from HHGregg and picked it up myself. It was too big to sit straight up in the SUV so we laid it on its side and drove like my grandma back to my apartment. No cracks or damage of any kind. You can lay even a 60" plasma flat on its back as long as you are careful and avoid speed bumps. They are very well packed from the factory. So I don't think they just break unless they are mishandled.
post #12 of 28 Old 02-13-2012, 05:00 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jass5150 View Post

I keep reading about issues like this with set ordered from Amazon. Has anyone gotten a set undamaged and problem free the first time around from them? I'm guessing its how they are handled during shipping. I know that some drivers consider "Fragile" and "This Side Up" to be more a guideline than an actual rule.

I bought my 60" from HHGregg and picked it up myself. It was too big to sit straight up in the SUV so we laid it on its side and drove like my grandma back to my apartment. No cracks or damage of any kind. You can lay even a 60" plasma flat on its back as long as you are careful and avoid speed bumps. They are very well packed from the factory. So I don't think they just break unless they are mishandled.

Is a PLASMA panel "allowed" to lay down on the back???
Thought they we're ONLY "allowed" upright standing, all the time.....???

kindly
Jan
post #13 of 28 Old 02-13-2012, 06:56 AM

Liked: 33
At the factory, they lay them down on the assembly line to place the glass into the front frame, then stood up for placing into the box. You should never lay a Plasma on its face or back, always keep upright.
post #14 of 28 Old 02-13-2012, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jass5150 View Post

I got my Panny 55" GT30 from Amazon and it was delivered by Pilot with no issues.

Most people that post on a forum will tell you wants went wrong so that's why it seems like this happens often.
post #15 of 28 Old 02-13-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnernorth View Post

Is a PLASMA panel "allowed" to lay down on the back??? Thought they we're ONLY "allowed" upright standing, all the time.....???

You can lay them down on their back or front for the purpose of installing a wall bracket or the pedestal base etc, but they must be shipped or transported in an upright position since the packing material inside the box is designed to protect the TV from bouncing shock when it's upright.

When the box is laid down, there is nothing supporting the middle of the glass panel and it's much more likely to bend or crack when the truck runs over bumps and dips and railroad tracks etc.

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Darbee DVP-5000S, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - https://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #16 of 28 Old 02-13-2012, 07:56 AM

Oh, I thought it was because of the plasma , didn't know it's because of the fragile glass... :-/
But thx for the clarification
:-)

kindly
Jan
post #17 of 28 Old 02-13-2012, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

Oh, I thought it was because of the plasma

Did you think it would leak out?
post #18 of 28 Old 02-13-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:

Oh, I thought it was because of the plasma , didn't know it's because of the fragile glass... :-/
But thx for the clarification
:-)

What do you mean "Because of the plasma"? Plasma is caused by the excitement of the electrons in a gas. Neon lights, flourescent lights, sodium lights all have plasma, which is what causes the lighting effect.

It is just that the term "Plasma tv" was coined by the group that invented it at the U of I in Champaign, Il.
post #19 of 28 Old 02-13-2012, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

Plasma is caused by the excitement of the electrons in a gas.

Plasma IS highly energetic material...such as glowing neon or mercury vapor.

Quote:

It is just that the term "Plasma tv" was coined by the group that invented it at the U of I in Champaign, Il.

Why do you think they 'coined' the term?
post #20 of 28 Old 02-13-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

What do you mean "Because of the plasma"? Plasma is caused by the excitement of the electrons in a gas. Neon lights, flourescent lights, sodium lights all have plasma, which is what causes the lighting effect.

-to be honest, I thought there was some kind of liquid inside the panel..... I know that B&O had/has a "snitch" to tell if the display has been transported upright,.... due to warranty.

kindly
Jan
post #21 of 28 Old 02-13-2012, 10:28 AM

My 60ST30 (Amazon/Pilot) was delivered cracked. It was not noticeable at all until it was unboxed and powered on. The buzzing was the first clue, but you had to look at an angle to see the cracks on the top corners of the screen. Based on other posts, this appears to be common.
post #22 of 28 Old 02-13-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:

-to be honest, I thought there was some kind of liquid inside the panel..... I know that B&O had/has a "snitch" to tell if the display has been transported upright,.... due to warranty.

If there was a liquid in there, it would not be called Plasma. Never heard of that about Bang & Olfson having something to tell if it is shipped upright. Most likely what they have, is a shock tag that shows if the unit has been dropped. There is no way to tell if a unit has been laid down or placed upright, unless you physically notice a problem.
post #23 of 28 Old 02-13-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaggette View Post

My 60ST30 (Amazon/Pilot) was delivered cracked. It was not noticeable at all until it was unboxed and powered on. The buzzing was the first clue, but you had to look at an angle to see the cracks on the top corners of the screen. Based on other posts, this appears to be common.

No it is not common. The screens get cracked due to mishandling, not when they are unboxed and let sit, after being outside, or carried from the truck to the house or store. During winter time, sets can be in trailers that the air temp can get to below 0 if shipped via rail, or trucked cross country. They are made to endure a change of temps. If this was the case, stores would be tossing the sets by the hundreds, every time they received them, due to sitting on the truck until unloaded.

No again, if the screen was cracked, that means that somewhere along the line it got mishandled.
post #24 of 28 Old 02-13-2012, 12:09 PM

Just have to say my nephew order a TV from amazon and the screen was kicked in.. Usually the people who drop the TV off will take it out of the box for you so you can get a return right away.
post #25 of 28 Old 02-13-2012, 02:25 PM

My 50GT25 made it to my house in one piece from Amazon. The driver unboxed it to inspect it, but we didn't turn it on as it was a frigid day outside and it had been in the truck all day. I haven't had a single problem with it.
post #26 of 28 Old 02-13-2012, 07:23 PM

I attempted to take delivery of my new 65VT30 on Saturday. Bought from Amazon, delivered by Home Direct. Upon unboxing (which seemed to be an inconvenience to the delivery guy), it had multiple cracks in the upper left corner.

He wanted to leave it and have me "deal with the place you bought it". I, of course, refused delivery, made him box it back up and out the door. As you can imagine, this was a much bigger inconvenience.

The replacement is in it's way from CEVA. Let's hope for better luck.
post #27 of 28 Old 02-13-2012, 07:35 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Is a PLASMA panel "allowed" to lay down on the back???
Thought they we're ONLY "allowed" upright standing, all the time.....???

I wouldn't recommend it ( I know, do as I say and not as I do), but in a pinch you can transport even a large plasma as long as the original packaging is intact, the distance is relatively short, it is properly and firmly secured and cushioned against all movement, and the road is smooth. The reason why we are told not to is because the glass can crack under its own weight if it is flexed or jolted hard enough. In my case, I took measurements of the packaging and the vehicle bed and fortunately they were a perfect fit. I supported the entire load with padding and we drove with blinkers at about 40mph along a route that had been recently paved and was as smooth as glass. In case anyone is wondering, the bed of a Jeep Patriot with the back seat down is exactly the right size for a boxed 60" Panasonic.

In may career, I've moved a lot of sensitive electronics, including monitors and I have yet to break one. It was a judgement call necessitated by circumstance; normally I would have had it delivered and I would recommend that route.

As for the myth that it does something to the panel...nonsense. First gen plasmas were very fragile and it was easy to shake something loose. I suppose that is where the myth came from. That and the myth that a broken plasma panel will burn your face off if you turn it on.

Quote:

Actually, plasma is the 4th state of matter, liquid is #2. A plasma panel contains a gas that is ionized by electricity, turning it into a plasma. As such, orientation is meaningless. And trust me, plasmas do get laid down from time to time for various reason. I've seen guys at Costco bring them out on a pallet with one laying down on top of the pile. Imagine what that under paid stock boy at Best Buy does to them when no one is around.
post #28 of 28 Old 02-14-2012, 01:31 AM

Jass5150, thank for your adaquate reply, i love this forum, you can get an answer on almost every topic, thx :-)
I see the pics of you and the jeep, and the 60", on the road, flashing lights :-) :-) -cool
Talked to my buddy yesterday, and we are almost certain that, yeaaaars ago, Some manufacturer, perhaps Pioneer, had a snitch, a special "spirit level" mounted on the top of the packing(NOT a word of liquid :-) :-) )
Have a nice day :-)

kindly
Jan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page