Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #391 of 10106 Old 03-20-2012, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1000 View Post

I had last years Panny ST30 and when I moved my eyes left or right, I noticed the green flashes, trails. I don't notice it on Samsung plasmas, when I see them at the stores. But, I ended up getting a Samsung LED as I didn't want to take a chance with plasmas again. Even though plasma has excellent picture quality.

I have the same issue. Whenever I move my eyes slightly on a Panasonic I see the trails, but on a Samsung I don't. Overall, I see much less phosphor trailing on a Samsung than a Panasonic. I hope with this years model the effect will be diminished. I wouldn't mind getting a Samsung, but its image retention issues and reliability bother me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 10106 Old 03-20-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 450
I took delivery of my 55" ST50 yesterday and so far am very impressed. The color and black levels are outstanding even without calibration. It seems like a big improvement over the 50" GT30 I test drove in September of last year, AND so far I see no indication of uniformity issues, save one. About 2 inches in from the right side of the panel there appears to be a slightly lighter vertical band about an inch wide that runs from top to bottom. It's faint and only noticeable on D-Nice's dark gray slides. Not sure about it yet but I'll live with the display for a couple of weeks before I decide if I want to swap it out. Note that this is not visible when viewing normal content and also note that I see none of the green and magenta splotching that caused me to return three GT30s last year. BIG relief.

I'd say that the ST50 is an outstanding PDP and Panasonic clearly learned some lessons from last year's designs. I'm a very happy camper. I'll see about posting some pics later tonight or tomorrow.

post #393 of 10106 Old 03-20-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post

About 2 inches in from the right side of the panel there appears to be a slightly lighter vertical band about an inch wide that runs from top to bottom. It's faint and only noticeable on D-Nice's dark gray slides. Not sure about it yet but I'll live with the display for a couple of weeks before I decide if I want to swap it out. Note that this is not visible when viewing normal content and also note that I see none of the green and magenta splotching that caused me to return three GT30s last year. BIG relief.

I dont speak from experience but having read every page of the ST30 thread it seems that vertical band you see is more than just common and is in fact in every single Panny plasma. I have no idea why but there were pages about this and everyone agreed that while it was there you could never see it during normal use
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 10106 Old 03-20-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad_Dracule View Post

I dont speak from experience but having read every page of the ST30 thread it seems that vertical band you see is more than just common and is in fact in every single Panny plasma. I have no idea why but there were pages about this and everyone agreed that while it was there you could never see it during normal use

I've read those threads. Lots of speculation that it has something to do with the metal frame behind the panel. At any rate, it's very faint.

post #395 of 10106 Old 03-20-2012, 03:24 PM

Liked: 10
im moving the tv tomorrow right now its in a temporary spot with lots of light but ill post day photos to prove with the brightness and the filter the old rules of a dark room dont matter

and last from the couch, ignore the camera flash i forgot about that and you can see some reflections but

again this is set up in a bonus room, i have an 8 foot bay window facing east to the right of the tv, 2 sky lights, a door in the back right of the room and the back of the room is open to the kitchen. at night its obviously better but its really good during the day too. Ill throw in some pictures in a day or two when i put the tv in the basement
post #396 of 10106 Old 03-20-2012, 03:35 PM

judging from that pic, that skintone looks very good. Well done girl, Panasonic and Ceiph

I want my next TV to have "smell the glove"-blacklevel. I got me an st50 and I think I can smell some leather in a not too far away distance somewhere.
post #397 of 10106 Old 03-20-2012, 03:38 PM
Administrator
Administrator

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Quoted: 1500 Post(s)
Liked: 1132
Guys, lets keep the non MSRP price stuff in the deals threads.

Thanks

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Always post about products, never post about other members.
Join the AVS Forum Club and help support the site.
AVS Forum is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with AV Science Inc.
post #398 of 10106 Old 03-20-2012, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 24
ceiph- Is Buzz looking for the center channel speaker?
triumphrider74 likes this.
post #399 of 10106 Old 03-20-2012, 06:05 PM

Liked: 12
how is it possible hdtvtest (european) meassures the st50 0026fl ?
and here in america is meassured between 0047 flt - 0049 ftl ?

i asked david about this and replied:

You would have to ask Panasonic USA why the model over there seems to be of lesser performance. It also lacks some of the calibration controls that we have, and does not support 96hz output of 24hz material, indicating that the panel driving is not the same.

There have been some stranger cases in the past, don't forget that last year's 50VT30 had poorer black level thank the 50VT20.

For black level measurement, we don't use Calman, instead we use Klein's own program, which allows for black level calibration of the meter and more convenient averaging of low light readings, for more accurate results

is that so guys? is there a different driving panel between the european and american versions? i could ask panasonic about this but wanted to hear from you :P

d-nice? chad? or anyone else ?
post #400 of 10106 Old 03-20-2012, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I'm going to have to check this TV out in the stores even though I'm planning on getting the VT50. Just curious to see how this looks since I've read nothing but praise about it. Sounds like 2012 will be a great year for Panasonic plasma owners.
post #401 of 10106 Old 03-20-2012, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Ceiph, what size is that?

Oh and thank you for the awesome pics.

You can call me Sheila.
post #402 of 10106 Old 03-20-2012, 06:32 PM

Just a guess on the Euro vs US thing, but I would guess that the power/energy restrictions may be more strict in that market which in plasma tech translates to less performance.
post #403 of 10106 Old 03-20-2012, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Great pics, Ceiph. I had already decided to purchase an ST50 and those pics just reinforce my decision.
post #404 of 10106 Old 03-20-2012, 07:44 PM

the center channel i know isn't ideal, tomorrow the tv will goto a different room and it'll be better positioned when positioned right the sierra 1's sound amazing

anyways the tv is a 55

and yes the tv is very nice i played around with my disney wow disk a little bit and got the picture nice but i cant wait till a calibration based on the impressions from chad, dnice and others.
post #405 of 10106 Old 03-20-2012, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post

Hey guys I already have a vt30 55 inch and I'm thinking of selling my vt for a st50 60 inch. The reason being for the extra size, brightness and reduced crosstalk. Just looking to see what you guys think of this move. I know I'm loosing thx 1 hdmi, and maybe a better looking set but I don't care about that.
And I will add that I usually buy a tv every year or so, but after this move I'll wait till the oled tech comes down in price.
Thanks

Anybody please.....some one wants to buy my vt and I'm still on the unsure thx.
post #406 of 10106 Old 03-20-2012, 08:26 PM

adamd do you use thx mode? i found getting the ST50 to look nice not hard at all, Dnice also has a break in and settings that you can use that im sure looks better than THX which i never thought looked that great, crosstalk i notice more on content like a bad camera angle on espn 3d is still bad

ok this is perhaps a dumb idea seeing its an iphone camera but
obviously the picture isnt that grainy just the phone camera isnt that good, i just tried to get you guys a dark picture.. anyways you have to see it for yourself
post #407 of 10106 Old 03-20-2012, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiph View Post

the center channel i know isn't ideal, tomorrow the tv will goto a different room and it'll be better positioned when positioned right the sierra 1's sound amazing

anyways the tv is a 55

and yes the tv is very nice i played around with my disney wow disk a little bit and got the picture nice but i cant wait till a calibration based on the impressions from chad, dnice and others.

It looks so huge.

You can call me Sheila.
post #408 of 10106 Old 03-20-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:

This could be another example of viewing environment affecting the issue as well. It would make sense that its harder to see in stores as they generally have bright lighting which could mask the issue.

Also keep in mind that during normal viewing people arent moving their heads left to right. As I was saying in my previous post I could see DLP rainbows very easily but with the faster colour wheels it was something I could easily not notice during normal viewing (moving my head caused the effect as well) and it was easy to look past.

Actually I move my eyes, not my head and that's when I see it.
post #409 of 10106 Old 03-20-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveZ06 View Post

I have the same issue. Whenever I move my eyes slightly on a Panasonic I see the trails, but on a Samsung I don't. Overall, I see much less phosphor trailing on a Samsung than a Panasonic. I hope with this years model the effect will be diminished. I wouldn't mind getting a Samsung, but its image retention issues and reliability bother me.

I hope it will diminish also. I haven't seen the new Pannys yet.
post #410 of 10106 Old 03-20-2012, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiph View Post

adamd do you use thx mode? i found getting the ST50 to look nice not hard at all, Dnice also has a break in and settings that you can use that im sure looks better than THX which i never thought looked that great, crosstalk i notice more on content like a bad camera angle on espn 3d is still bad

ok this is perhaps a dumb idea seeing its an iphone camera but
obviously the picture isnt that grainy just the phone camera isnt that good, i just tried to get you guys a dark picture.. anyways you have to see it for yourself

Thank for the reply, I never use the THX mode it looks to warm to my eyes and dark. My only compliant with my vt is I wish it was bigger and brighter in 3d mode mostly. So you notice lots of crosstalk with your st? Have you tried any movies yet in 3d?
post #411 of 10106 Old 03-20-2012, 08:57 PM

ive only noticed crosstalk on a bad espn 3d angle but it was the crowd, it was odd, ive watched parts of transformer, lion king, and pirates in 3d, also checked out unchartered 3, in all of those instances i don't notice crosstalk. I work selling these tvs and on the 2011s i see it more on the gt30, samsungs and passives i cant stand for cross talk so I can be picky about it.
post #412 of 10106 Old 03-20-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitrios007 View Post

how is it possible hdtvtest (european) meassures the st50 0026fl ?
and here in america is meassured between 0047 flt - 0049 ftl ?

it may have to do with the tested model. hdtvtest tested die 42" while us test used the 50+ models i think.
post #413 of 10106 Old 03-20-2012, 09:09 PM

I'm 30 hours in on the slides for my ST50 and I now see one stuck pixel that I did not notice at the beginning.
Is there any chance of this correcting itself over time?
I doubt I will hardly ever be able to see this in real content and being about 10 feet away, but it's impossible to say that for sure at the moment.
post #414 of 10106 Old 03-21-2012, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1000 View Post

Actually I move my eyes, not my head and that's when I see it.

Well yeah. I just mean when you are truly engrossed in what you are watching your eyes arent generally darting around the screen (unless its too big for your seating distance).

I do know what you mean though. If I was watching TV and noticed rainbows it was hard to stop after that as you start subconciously looking for them
post #415 of 10106 Old 03-21-2012, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by emp99 View Post

I'm 30 hours in on the slides for my ST50 and I now see one stuck pixel that I did not notice at the beginning.
Is there any chance of this correcting itself over time?
I doubt I will hardly ever be able to see this in real content and being about 10 feet away, but it's impossible to say that for sure at the moment.

Yeah, I've got one stuck in the bottom right corner of my ST30 that showed up around ~30-40hrs of break-in. It is still there (even after trying to run the pixel flipper on the Disney WOW disc for many many hours), but it is not noticable from my viewing distance; however, since we're all anal-retentive avsers on here, you, like I, will walk up to the screen once a week and just stare at that pixel for at least 30 seconds and pout...I decided to ultimately keep my set since I've been so satisfied with all the service I've gotten from Amazon over the years that I couldn't ask them for an exchange over one pixel. All the best,
C
post #416 of 10106 Old 03-21-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by fej01z View Post

Just a guess on the Euro vs US thing, but I would guess that the power/energy restrictions may be more strict in that market which in plasma tech translates to less performance.

I'm not sure who's stricter (you could be right that EU power limitations are stricter), but the performance of the European model is better, not worse.

-David Mackenzie
HDTVtest

David Mackenzie
Blu-ray Disc (and DVD) Compressionist/Author
US Correspondent & Tech Consultant, HDTVtest
ISF Certified Calibrator (Level 2) / THX Certified Professional (Video Calibration Level 2)
post #417 of 10106 Old 03-21-2012, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyris View Post

I'm not sure who's stricter (you could be right that EU power limitations are stricter), but the performance of the European model is better, not worse.

-David Mackenzie
HDTVtest

thanks david for your great review
you will test the 50ST50 ? the 50 inch will have better black than the 42ST50 ?
thanks david
post #418 of 10106 Old 03-21-2012, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Well yeah. I just mean when you are truly engrossed in what you are watching your eyes arent generally darting around the screen (unless its too big for your seating distance).

I do know what you mean though. If I was watching TV and noticed rainbows it was hard to stop after that as you start subconciously looking for them

Funny that you should say that because until you did I'd forgotten that my eyes use to noticably dart around when I first got my 52" LCD. My brain was trying to adjust those things that weren't in focus, like the background outdoors, instead of viewing the image as intended. It was like my brain thought I was looking out a window and kept trying to focus. It doesn't happen anymore.

You can call me Sheila.
post #419 of 10106 Old 03-21-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

David, have you seen a NA ST50? I'm wondering what impact the 2500hz ffd vs 2000hz can/will produce.

You can call me Sheila.
post #420 of 10106 Old 03-21-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
thanks david for your great review
you will test the 50ST50 ? the 50 inch will have better black than the 42ST50 ?
thanks david

Welcome
I'd actually love to test the 65ST50 - because I want one!
In the past the Panasonic displays haven't had any consistent differences in black level between the screen sizes. I'd be surprised the larger ST50s were any *better* than the 42".

David Mackenzie
Blu-ray Disc (and DVD) Compressionist/Author
US Correspondent & Tech Consultant, HDTVtest
ISF Certified Calibrator (Level 2) / THX Certified Professional (Video Calibration Level 2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st50 Plasma Tv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page