Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 332 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 46Likes

post #9931 of 9959 Old 06-12-2018, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris_H View Post
I have a TC-P60GT50 that I’ve had trouble finding the A board for. I had a lightening strike wipe out my HDMIs. I previously had an issue with the board and replaced it with a board from a TC-P50GT50. Right now I can’t find the original board TNPH0988UC but see several TNPH0988UD available from the TC-P65GT50. I cant seem to find anywhere where the board compatibility is listed. Any help is appreciated.
where are you finding the TNPH0988 boards? All I have found is 2 on eBay for $300. My A board went out as well from a lightning storm. Can’t get a signal to my beautiful tv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9932 of 9959 Old 06-12-2018, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neauxla504 View Post
where are you finding the TNPH0988 boards? All I have found is 2 on eBay for $300. My A board went out as well from a lightning storm. Can’t get a signal to my beautiful tv
Have you looked on eBay or https://www.shopjimmy.com
post #9933 of 9959 Old 06-12-2018, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD KOOL-AID View Post
Quote:
Have you looked on eBay or https://www.shopjimmy.com
shop jimmy is sold out and eBay wants $300 for the board, which I’m not 100% sure is the problem. Screen is fine when going through settings but i can’t send video to the tv. Does anyone know if a p65vt50 a board is compatible? Saw one for $150
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9934 of 9959 Old 06-17-2018, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
That is pretty interesting the level of interest still exists with plasma TVs. Loving mine still!
Edllguy likes this.
post #9935 of 9959 Old 06-18-2018, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach42t View Post
That is pretty interesting the level of interest still exists with plasma TVs. Loving mine still!
My Panasonic TC-P60GT50 is almost six years old and it's as sharp as the day I bought it. I have considered going with a 4K TV but I hate to give up my plasma. I have not had any issues at all, and it's on at least 6 hours everyday. I also like having 3D. I know new 3D movies are not being made, but I have a decent collection of them, and I can find others used online.
Trebor Pyn likes this.
post #9936 of 9959 Old 06-18-2018, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris_H View Post
I have a TC-P60GT50 that I’ve had trouble finding the A board for. I had a lightening strike wipe out my HDMIs. I previously had an issue with the board and replaced it with a board from a TC-P50GT50. Right now I can’t find the original board TNPH0988UC but see several TNPH0988UD available from the TC-P65GT50. I cant seem to find anywhere where the board compatibility is listed. Any help is appreciated.
Board part numbers are pretty specific to a particular model and even a particular size of the same model. Usually you want the replacement to have the exact same part number as the one it's replacing. A mid-year production change can result in a slight board change and the new version will have a different part number, and they are not usually cross-compatible. It might be better to just have your bad board(s) repaired instead of replacing it/them with used ones.

Quote:
There are companies that can repair bad or blown boards. Some of em will have you send in all the boards and they'll test them, then fix the ones that need fixing.

Sometimes when one board blows, it takes another board (or two) out as they try to drive the crippled TV. You think only one board is blown, but after replacing it the TV still doesn't work because another one was bad as well. And that can damage a board again. It's just a good idea to have them all tested together.

FYI - When Panasonic Plasmas were being made (between 1999 and 2013) they would build extra boards and keep them in inventory to use for warranty replacements, and Panasonic also required their repair technicians to return the bad boards to them whereupon they would refurbish them, fully test them, and return them to inventory. When the supply of new boards was exhausted they would then utilize the factory refurbished boards for warranty repairs. They even charged a Core Charge on the replacement boards to ensure that all bad boards were returned to them for refurbishment. It was a simple but brilliant program.

Here are the links to Board Repair places that AVSers have used successfully over the years:

Panasonic Board Repair PTS Electronics www.ptselectronicsinc.com

Panasonic Board Repair Service on eBay oleg_yj http://stores.ebay.com/oleg-yj?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Panasonic Board Repair Service on eBay tech32174 http://stores.ebay.com/tech32174/

Panasonic Board Repair Service on eBay ASA.VIDEO.PC http://stores.ebay.com/ASA-VIDEO-PC?...p2047675.l2563

__
Edllguy, BassLake and whipit like this.

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Darbee DVP-5000S, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - https://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...

Last edited by RandyWalters; 08-11-2019 at 10:47 AM.
post #9937 of 9959 Old 08-05-2018, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie E View Post
My Panasonic TC-P60GT50 is almost six years old and it's as sharp as the day I bought it. I have considered going with a 4K TV but I hate to give up my plasma. I have not had any issues at all, and it's on at least 6 hours everyday. I also like having 3D. I know new 3D movies are not being made, but I have a decent collection of them, and I can find others used online.

Im in a similar boat and wanted to see people's advice?

About a week ago in a lightening storm we had a power surge. My plasma stopped working. After a few days I ordered an LG OLEDC8.

Today suddenly my GT50 came on again, and I am not sure I can return the TV although I might be able to sell the LG.

Has anyone had experience comparing these two? Should I expect to see any kind of upgrade in PQ on the OLEDC8? I did love my GT50...
post #9938 of 9959 Old 08-05-2018, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPJoe View Post
Im in a similar boat and wanted to see people's advice?

About a week ago in a lightening storm we had a power surge. My plasma stopped working. After a few days I ordered an LG OLEDC8.

Today suddenly my GT50 came on again, and I am not sure I can return the TV although I might be able to sell the LG.

Has anyone had experience comparing these two? Should I expect to see any kind of upgrade in PQ on the OLEDC8? I did love my GT50...
I think you should get a big jump in PQ with the C8. I upgraded my GT50 to the LG B6 about a year ago and have no regrets. The picture quality is insanely good on the OLED.
post #9939 of 9959 Old 08-06-2018, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD KOOL-AID View Post
I think you should get a big jump in PQ with the C8. I upgraded my GT50 to the LG B6 about a year ago and have no regrets. The picture quality is insanely good on the OLED.
I agree with this.

Motion is likely better on the gt50 but my b7 oled is a huge upgrade in pq otherwise.
post #9940 of 9959 Old 09-16-2018, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
Board part numbers are pretty specific to a particular model and even a particular size of the same model. Usually you want the replacement to have the exact same part number as the one it's replacing. A mid-year production change can result in a slight board change and the new version will have a different part number, and they are not usually cross-compatible. It might be better to just have your bad board(s) repaired instead of replacing it/them with used ones.

There are companies that can repair bad or blown boards. Some of em will have you send in all the boards and they'll test them, then fix the ones that need fixing.

Sometimes when one board blows, it takes another board (or two) out as they try to drive the crippled TV. You think only one board is blown, but after replacing it the TV still doesn't work because another one was bad as well. And that can damage a board again. It's just a good idea to have them all tested together.

FYI - When Panasonic Plasmas were being made (between 1999 and 2013) they would build extra boards and keep them in inventory to use for warranty replacements, and Panasonic also required their repair technicians to return the bad boards to them whereupon they would refurbish them, fully test them, and return them to inventory. When the supply of new boards was exhausted they would then utilize the factory refurbished boards for warranty repairs. They even charged a Core Charge on the replacement boards to ensure that all bad boards were returned to them for refurbishment. It was a simple but brilliant program.

Here are the links to places AVSers have used successfully over the years:

Panasonic Board Repair PTS Electronics

Panasonic Board Repair Service on eBay oleg_yj

Panasonic Board Repair Service on eBay tech32174

Panasonic Board Repair Service on eBay ASA.VIDEO.PC

__
Sadly, we also had a lightning strike a few weeks ago. Our TC-P50GT50 seemed to be fine, then one of our HDMI ports stopped working, so we switched to another port and that worked for a while. They all finally went out a couple of days ago. The picture is still fine.

I am able to take the TV apart and remove the "input" board (TNPH0988UC) for repair, but I'd rather not send in ALL the boards if I don't have to. I tried to find information on running a diagnostic test in service mode, but couldn't get past the service main menu. Shouldn't that tell me if there are other problems? Can anyone provide the instructions or a link to run the test here?

Thanks!
post #9941 of 9959 Old 05-02-2019, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Last Saturday evening my trusty old 50GT50 started buzzing very loudly while we were watching it.

It's always been virtually silent since day one (as i always stated in the buzzing thread below, prolly in this one too LOL).

But i was able to fix the cause of the buzzing simply by removing the rear cover and tightening the SC Board's screws and i'm so happy the TV is silent once again. I was afraid it might be terminal, but we've been watching it morning and night for the past 4 days and it's still silent so i'm claiming victory

I posted about it here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-p...l#post57967794

Now that this has happened to me, and knowing that there are owners in that GT50 buzzing thread with buzzing TVs maybe everybody should remove their rear covers and snug all the board screws down (might quiet down the ones that buzz, and might prevent quiet ones from developing a buzz down the road). I'm gonna cross-post this while i'm at it.

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Darbee DVP-5000S, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890 Remote.
post #9942 of 9959 Old 05-12-2019, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Unhappy Not sure what is going on

Something weird is going on. At first I thought it was my Roku Ultra having a problem. I could use the Roku remote to turn off the tv. And adjust the volume. It stopped doing it. The Roku is connected through a Sony CT660 Sound bar.
It was also set so pushing a button on the Roku remote turned the tv on or if already on would switch to that hdmi port on the sound bar. That no longer works. Using my Channel Master dvr+ remote to turn the volume up Speakers Off
Flashes on the tv. Before it worked. Repairing the Roku remote I can adjust the volume but not turn off the tv. Turning on the tv now, the sound bar no longer turns on. I checked all the hdmi settings on the sound bar and they are on. Back to using 3 remotes. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Edit: now everything works.

Last edited by size14d; 05-12-2019 at 06:11 PM.
post #9943 of 9959 Old 08-18-2019, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi I am planning on buying a gt50 but it doesn’t come with a pedestal. Does anyone know of a mount with a base. Not wall mount that supports the 500x300 vesa pattern that the 60in model has?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9944 of 9959 Old 09-25-2019, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Question. I have a 7 year old Panasonc GT50 plasma. Recently I've been seeing color blotches on faces, almost as if the color is not sticking to the faces in spots, mostly dark lines. Almost as if I'm seeing the dark base when the color is pealed away. The entire picture also doesn't seem as sharp as it has in the past. Watch mostly cable and initially thought it was due to their feed, but I also see the same effect when streaming off my Amazon Fire Stick. Thinking it's a sign of pending total failure.
post #9945 of 9959 Old 09-25-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer6871 View Post
Question. I have a 7 year old Panasonc GT50 plasma. Recently I've been seeing color blotches on faces, almost as if the color is not sticking to the faces in spots, mostly dark lines. Almost as if I'm seeing the dark base when the color is pealed away. The entire picture also doesn't seem as sharp as it has in the past. Watch mostly cable and initially thought it was due to their feed, but I also see the same effect when streaming off my Amazon Fire Stick. Thinking it's a sign of pending total failure.
I’m sorry, I don’t know what’s going on. But just last week I was thinking that mine might go sometime in the near future. So I started looking at TVs and man, I could get a 75 inch 4K TV for $500 less than I paid for my 60 inch GT 50.
post #9946 of 9959 Old 09-25-2019, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Question. I have a 7 year old Panasonc GT50 plasma.
I have one of those. So...
I told me wife I wanted a new TV to get 4K and HDR (really, HDR, 4K is a gimmick). Nah, she said. Eventually I wore her down to the point she agreed I could buy one for my b-day. Happy day!

Got a defective Sony OLED with burn-in (store demo) and put it in. She thought it was good enough to keep.
Got a new (open-box) non-defective Sony. A week later our daughter visits and says, "Why new TV?" Wife says, "This is WAY better than the old one."

Moral of the story: Run down to CostCo and get a Sony OLED. ;-)

We're still using the GT50, just not as our main TV.
size14d likes this.
post #9947 of 9959 Old 09-26-2019, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
I have one of those. So...
I told me wife I wanted a new TV to get 4K and HDR (really, HDR, 4K is a gimmick). Nah, she said. Eventually I wore her down to the point she agreed I could buy one for my b-day. Happy day!

Got a defective Sony OLED with burn-in (store demo) and put it in. She thought it was good enough to keep.
Got a new (open-box) non-defective Sony. A week later our daughter visits and says, "Why new TV?" Wife says, "This is WAY better than the old one."

Moral of the story: Run down to CostCo and get a Sony OLED. ;-)

We're still using the GT50, just not as our main TV.
Yep, I’m getting a Sony or LG next. 75-85”
post #9948 of 9959 Old 09-26-2019, 10:56 AM

Bit the bullet. Picked up a 55 inch LG C9 at BB. Had previously bought a 65 Sony A9F in May for my movie room. Fantastic set for 4K blu rays. Would have gone with the 55 inch Sony A9G, but could not justify the $1,200.00 price difference between that and the C9. Getting the LG delivered on Sunday.

Hate to give up on the GT50 and was hoping to keep it more than 7 years, but I guess you can't stop progress.
artur9 and Bruce2019 like this.
post #9949 of 9959 Old 09-27-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Hate to give up on the GT50 and was hoping to keep it more than 7 years, but I guess you can't stop progress.
I'm seriously thinking about going 4K also, and also hate to give up my 7 years old 60" TC-P60GT50. The picture is the same as it was when new. I'll also have to give up 3D, (you can still find 3D movies online). What is your opinion of your new 4K TV compared to your Panasonic? Thanks
post #9950 of 9959 Old 09-27-2019, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked: 821
I went from a 65" GT50 to a 65" B7A OLED and now a 77" C9 OLED.

The OLED with wide color gamut and HDR is a big step up.

The GT50 has better motion but that's about it. Everything else is better on the OLED.
Eddie E likes this.
post #9951 of 9959 Old 09-27-2019, 11:07 AM

I won't get the C9 until Sunday. The Sony 65 inch A9F purchased in May replaced a Pioneer Kuro. The Pioneer was the A #1 plasma in it's day. The Sony uses an LG panel with a different processor. The Sony is awesome. I watch mostly 4k blu ray and stuff off of my Amazon Firestick. Let's just say I've never looked back at my decision to upgrade. Gone broke however, buying replacement disc's in 4K for my blu ray collection. The Sony is that good.

The LG will be used mostly with Spectrum cable in my living room. Know better next week if I made the right move.

Quote:
I'm seriously thinking about going 4K also, and also hate to give up my 7 years old 60" TC-P60GT50. The picture is the same as it was when new. I'll also have to give up 3D, (you can still find 3D movies online). What is your opinion of your new 4K TV compared to your Panasonic? Thanks
Eddie E likes this.
post #9952 of 9959 Old 09-28-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:

The LG will be used mostly with Spectrum cable in my living room. Know better next week if I made the right move.
Thanks for the reply. If it's not too much trouble, I would appreciate your assessment of the C9 compared to your Panasonic after start using it.
cockatiel likes this.

Last edited by Eddie E; 09-28-2019 at 07:22 AM.
post #9953 of 9959 Old 09-28-2019, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Gone broke however, buying replacement disc's in 4K for my blu ray collection. The Sony is that good.
I have that same problem. Something like The Greatest Showman really illustrates the difference between the Panny Plasma and newer tech.
post #9954 of 9959 Old 09-29-2019, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Wow, this thread is still alive ! I used to hang out here a lot in the early days but from the info at the top of the page, my last check in was over 3 years ago. The GT50 is still my primary and I’m still pleased with the image. Enough so that I have not bothered looking at the latest and greatest. I hear there are better options today. Well, after 7 years of new models ... I certainly hope so ! Anyway, the first indication of my GT50 showing its age was a pop-up from the Prime Video app indicating that Amazon would no longer support the app after last Thursday. Hmmmm strangely it is still working, at least for now. I really don’t care because I have an older Roku stick, an Apple TV 4K, and 2 FireStick 4K’s distributed around the house with the Apple box on the GT50.

Nice to see the GT50 club is still around. This thread may very well hit the 10,000 mark !

Last edited by tpollagi; 09-29-2019 at 07:40 AM.
post #9955 of 9959 Old 09-30-2019, 09:19 AM

After day one I can say it was a good move replacing the Panasonic. Picture out of the box was disappointing as expected. The C9 has an extensive setup menu with way more picture mode options and individual settings than my Sony A9F. Probably spent two hours setting up my three inputs, cable, 4k blu ray off my Oppo 203 and streaming from my Amazon Firestick. Once dialed in, there was really no comparison between the C9 and my old GT50. Cable was better and sports looked great. Watched the Browns/Ravens game and the detail and color was something I couldn't remember seeing on my plasma even when new. Watched a 4K moving from my Oppo which was also an nice upgrade from my old blu ray player. The jury is till out however, if the C9 can match my A9F.

I would say if you have the itch and the cash make the move and upgrade.

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. If it's not too much trouble, I would appreciate your assessment of the C9 compared to your Panasonic after start using it.
Eddie E likes this.
post #9956 of 9959 Old 10-01-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post
Wow, this thread is still alive ! I used to hang out here a lot in the early days but from the info at the top of the page, my last check in was over 3 years ago. The GT50 is still my primary and I’m still pleased with the image. Enough so that I have not bothered looking at the latest and greatest.
I guess people are getting the 7 year itch. LOL. Mine is also my primary and the image is still great. But I think I want to give 4K a try. They look so sharp in the stores.
post #9957 of 9959 Old 10-01-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:

I would say if you have the itch and the cash make the move and upgrade.
Thanks! I think I'm going to get one before the year's end. Prices usually drop during the holiday season, so I may just wait a few weeks to see what happens. Right now there are some decent deals on the 2018 LG OLED models. And the Samsung QLED's are significantly less expensive. But I know the OLED's have a better display. I have an Oppo 103. I love it but it doesn't do 4K. Oppo doesn't make the disk players anymore, and even if I could find one, I don't think I want to put out the money for a 203. I'll probably get a different brand 4K disk player and keep my Oppo for the things you can no longer play on the newer players.
post #9958 of 9959 Old 11-07-2019, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Just popping in to do a 6-month update with good news . . . since i tightened all my board screws back in April my 50GT50 is still silent and buzz-free like it was several years ago, and i have since had no instances of random buzzing like i was getting before snugging everything down earlier this year.

I heartily recommend that anyone who owns a Panasonic Plasma TV, regardless of model number, remove the rear cover and snug down all the board screws as a preventative measure.

It seems that they are just not that tight from the factory and tend to come loose over time, and based on so many posts i've seen here over the years - loose board screws are known to sometimes cause the board to fail.

It's easy to do (albeit kinda tedious), and is cheap insurance against possible future board failure. I am so glad i caught mine in time and was able to save the TV and extend it's life. I'm hoping to get more years of use out of it.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-p...l#post57967794

Randy
post #9959 of 9959 Old 11-08-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
Just popping in to do a 6-month update with good news . . . since i tightened all my board screws back in April my 50GT50 is still silent and buzz-free like it was several years ago, and i have since had no instances of random buzzing like i was getting before snugging everything down earlier this year.

I heartily recommend that anyone who owns a Panasonic Plasma TV, regardless of model number, remove the rear cover and snug down all the board screws as a preventative measure._
I guess I'm lucky because in the 7 years I have owned my TC-P60GT50, I've never had buzzing or any other issue. I still love it, but I'm ready to move up to 4K. I'm keeping my eyes on the prices of the LG OLED's. They should start dropping soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page