Official Panasonic TC-PxxST60 Series thread - Page 470 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 197Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #14071 of 14085 Old 11-24-2019, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Davenlr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: North Little Rock,Ar,US
Posts: 3,509
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
I am a news junkie also. On hours at a time, often in the background as I work from home. Never have had a burn-in problem w. this or an even older Panny. The main "problem" with a plasma is that they burn a lot of electricity.
So what was your secret to keep the CNN logo or the MSNBC logo (the worst, BRIGHT WHITE) from burning in? I found image retention after only two hours. Did you have the brightness and contrast turned way down? I kept mine pretty bright, as the sun shines in that room.

N5GGG
Davenlr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14072 of 14085 Old 11-25-2019, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
snidely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Oakland, Ca. & Aventura (Miami), Fl.
Posts: 2,021
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Ickles View Post
About 60 bucks a year. Lcd about half that.
5 hours day - 30/mo. 392 watt draw = 2+ KW/day 60KW/mo times avg. PGE electric rate of 17 cents/kw = $10+/mo. or $120/year!!! No. Calif pays high rates.
snidely is offline  
post #14073 of 14085 Old 11-25-2019, 12:12 PM
Member
 
dfree86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi Guys,

Happy ST60 owner here since 2013. One question - how's everyone doing on settings this many years later? Back when I first set it up, the go-to setting was "Cinema" with a few tweaks down the each of the menus. I don't remember where I got the original settings.

These days I find the that Cinema is really dark with the blacks - the Battle of Winterfell ep was unwatchable.

On "Home Theater" however, it seemed a lot better.

I don't think my colors have changed a lot throughout and the TV has been extremely solid.

Anyone willing to share or point me in the direction of Settings you're using these days?

*I keep thinking I might replace this ST60 with an OLED or and LCD/LED but I keep liking this picture a lot better...
dfree86 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14074 of 14085 Old 11-25-2019, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Davenlr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: North Little Rock,Ar,US
Posts: 3,509
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
P55st60

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfree86 View Post

Anyone willing to share or point me in the direction of Settings you're using these days?

--Picture menu
Picture mode: Cinema
Contrast: 81
Brightness: 0
Color: 50
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0
Color temp: Warm 2
Vivid Color: Off
C.A.T.S.: Off
Video NR: Off
MPEG NR: Off
Motion Smoother: Off

-- Pro settings submenu
Panel brightness: Low
AGC: 0
Black extension: 0
Color Gamut: Normal

W/B detail adjustment menu:
W/B high R: 6
W/B high G: -1
W/B high B: 1
W/B low R: 1
W/B low G: -1
W/B low B: 0

More detail adjustment menu:[listed as Red, Green and Blue gain, respectively]
100 IRE: -4, 0, 3
90 IRE: -1, 1, 2
80 IRE: 0, 0, 0
70 IRE: 0, 0, 0
60 IRE: 0, 0, 0
50 IRE: 0, 0, 0
40 IRE: -3, -4, -1
30 IRE: 0, 0, 0
20 IRE: 3, -4, 0
10 IRE: -10, -10, 10

Color detail adjustment menu:
Red hue: -8
Red Saturation: 4
Red luminance: -3
Green hue: 3
Green Saturation: 12
Green luminance: 10
Blue hue: 10
Blue Saturation: 10
Blue luminance: -10

Gamma detail adjustment menu:
Gamma: 2.2

More detail adjustment menu:
100 IRE: 0
90 IRE: 2
80 IRE: 0
70 IRE: 0
60 IRE: 0
50 IRE: -6
40 IRE: -10
30 IRE: -20
20 IRE: -20
10 IRE: -10

--Advanced picture submenu
Game mode: Off
24p Direct in: 60Hz
3:2 pulldown: Auto [often grayed out depending on source]
1080p pixel direct: Off [often grayed out depending on source]
HDMI content type: [all Off]
HDMI/DVI RGB range: [all Standard (16-235)]
Black level: Light

N5GGG

Last edited by Davenlr; 11-25-2019 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Added Title
Davenlr is offline  
post #14075 of 14085 Old 11-25-2019, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
MrEmoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SE Mass, USA, Earth
Posts: 618
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfree86 View Post
Hi Guys,

Happy ST60 owner here since 2013. One question - how's everyone doing on settings this many years later? Back when I first set it up, the go-to setting was "Cinema" with a few tweaks down the each of the menus. I don't remember where I got the original settings.

These days I find the that Cinema is really dark with the blacks - the Battle of Winterfell ep was unwatchable.

On "Home Theater" however, it seemed a lot better.

I don't think my colors have changed a lot throughout and the TV has been extremely solid.

Anyone willing to share or point me in the direction of Settings you're using these days?

*I keep thinking I might replace this ST60 with an OLED or and LCD/LED but I keep liking this picture a lot better...
My starting point was D-Nice's settings from a thread on high d e f junkies, a forum that may have gone away. Over time, I tweaked a couple of the parameters very slightly, but i can't recall which. This was done to the "Custom" settings.

But, it seems they are here too: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-p...es-thread.html

Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30 55-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma HDTV TV
Panasonic DMP-BDT360 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Panasonic DMP-BDT215 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Yamaha RX-V757 Receiver, Cambridge Soundworks Towers, JBL center, and assorted other speakers for 7.1

Last edited by MrEmoto; 11-25-2019 at 12:26 PM.
MrEmoto is offline  
post #14076 of 14085 Old 11-25-2019, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Davenlr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: North Little Rock,Ar,US
Posts: 3,509
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
5 hours day - 30/mo. 392 watt draw = 2+ KW/day 60KW/mo times avg. PGE electric rate of 17 cents/kw = $10+/mo. or $120/year!!! No. Calif pays high rates.
My 65" Vizio draws 200 Watts according to the specs, but only ~100W measured on a UPS

N5GGG

Last edited by Davenlr; 11-25-2019 at 02:30 PM. Reason: correction
Davenlr is offline  
post #14077 of 14085 Old 11-26-2019, 10:04 AM
Senior Member
 
zeuspaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Wow! That's a bargain. Here in San Diego we pay 36+ cents per KWH once we get by a tiny base line. I still like my plasma. My heating bill is close to zero this time of year because I don't turn on any heaters and instead rely on waste heat from appliances, TVs and the like. I have a second smaller LCD TV for daytime viewing and only fire up the 65 in plasma for evening (fewer bright banners) viewing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
5 hours day - 30/mo. 392 watt draw = 2+ KW/day 60KW/mo times avg. PGE electric rate of 17 cents/kw = $10+/mo. or $120/year!!! No. Calif pays high rates.

Spoiler!
zeuspaul is offline  
post #14078 of 14085 Old 11-26-2019, 11:30 AM
Member
 
Process_Theology's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Do you run the image retention scrolling bar? I have 4 Pannny Plasmas from 768P to the G series, never had any burn in. That is OLED's issue now as far as I can see. This plagued early plasmas but they fixed it, at least on my end. My 2002 CRT rear projection had burn in as I had to replace the blue gun.
Process_Theology is offline  
post #14079 of 14085 Old 11-27-2019, 01:15 AM
Senior Member
 
zeuspaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 323
I tried the image retention scrolling bar several years ago as well as running slides. I recall only marginal results and considered it a waste of time. If I look closely when there is a light solid screen in the lower right where logos usually appear I can see some retention. It is not noticeable with normal viewing and you have to know what you are looking for. I think it is image retention and not burn in. I am careful to not display CNN or MSNBC or other serious offenders for extended periods of time. Image retention and power consumption are the primary reasons I have a smaller LCD adjacent to the plasma for daytime viewing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Process_Theology View Post
Do you run the image retention scrolling bar? I have 4 Pannny Plasmas from 768P to the G series, never had any burn in. That is OLED's issue now as far as I can see. This plagued early plasmas but they fixed it, at least on my end. My 2002 CRT rear projection had burn in as I had to replace the blue gun.

Spoiler!
zeuspaul is offline  
post #14080 of 14085 Old 11-28-2019, 04:58 AM
Member
 
Process_Theology's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuspaul View Post
I tried the image retention scrolling bar several years ago as well as running slides. I recall only marginal results and considered it a waste of time. If I look closely when there is a light solid screen in the lower right where logos usually appear I can see some retention. It is not noticeable with normal viewing and you have to know what you are looking for. I think it is image retention and not burn in. I am careful to not display CNN or MSNBC or other serious offenders for extended periods of time. Image retention and power consumption are the primary reasons I have a smaller LCD adjacent to the plasma for daytime viewing.
Humm, the scrolling bar seemed to rid image retention on my end, but I never ran slides, I may have screen burn if I look for it that way, I wouldn't know, I'm not going to look for it that intensely.
Process_Theology is offline  
post #14081 of 14085 Old 11-28-2019, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 18,212
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 913
Here's my methods that have worked to remove IR (HD wallpaper images and/or pixel jogger):

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-p...l#post56408846

This has worked for myself, and others who've tried it reported it worked for them as well. Worth a shot.


______________

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Darbee DVP-5000S, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - https://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #14082 of 14085 Old 11-28-2019, 11:37 AM
Senior Member
 
zeuspaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Agreed. If I have to look for it I am not going to worry about it. There are probably a lot of other imperfections that I could find if I look for them. Mostly I just am in awe about how beautiful the picture is.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Process_Theology View Post
Humm, the scrolling bar seemed to rid image retention on my end, but I never ran slides, I may have screen burn if I look for it that way, I wouldn't know, I'm not going to look for it that intensely.

Spoiler!
zeuspaul is offline  
post #14083 of 14085 Old 11-30-2019, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
samijubal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 859
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuspaul View Post
I tried the image retention scrolling bar several years ago as well as running slides. I recall only marginal results and considered it a waste of time. If I look closely when there is a light solid screen in the lower right where logos usually appear I can see some retention. It is not noticeable with normal viewing and you have to know what you are looking for. I think it is image retention and not burn in. I am careful to not display CNN or MSNBC or other serious offenders for extended periods of time. Image retention and power consumption are the primary reasons I have a smaller LCD adjacent to the plasma for daytime viewing.
Just watch the TV without any static images. If it's IR it will eventually go away. If it's burn-in it's hopeless no matter what you do.
samijubal is offline  
post #14084 of 14085 Old 12-06-2019, 07:03 PM
Member
 
fullmetal22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi guys picked one these bad boys up for a great price. I was curious if anyone had thiers professionally calibrated and how they like it? And if you know of one in the Savannah GA area?
Steve544 likes this.
fullmetal22 is offline  
post #14085 of 14085 Old 12-06-2019, 10:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Steve544's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: San Diego
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal22 View Post
Hi guys picked one these bad boys up for a great price. I was curious if anyone had thiers professionally calibrated and how they like it? And if you know of one in the Savannah GA area?
It is a somewhat older model but still very good. I believe it was a model below the Panny ZT 65" plasma which had the best blacks of any display on the market at the time. I have had that model and my current display both professionally calibrated. I do believe it is well worth the time and price....however, I would not ask the Best Buy Geek Squad to do it for a number of reasons I won't go into. Find a good certified calibrator who either works independently ,as many do, or one who works out of a high end shop and will not be watching the clock.

Steve Douglas, McIntosh 8207 amp, Anthem AVM-60, Anthem MCA 50 amp, Aerial Acoustics 10T, CC3 center, AA5 and SR3 dipole/bipole, 18"Velodyne Sub
Sony 85" 950G, 4 Paradigm Cinema 100 2.0 System and OPPO 203 Blu-ray deck
Steve544 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off