Buy now or wait a year, given the Panasonic news? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-18-2013, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 191
My current 63" main family room plasma from 2009 (as well as the 65" from 2011 in the master bedroom) is still going strong so I had planned to wait another year and get either the new F8500 or the ZT this time next year when they are at their typical 40-50% off their original MSRP.

But with the reports that Panasonic may be phasing out of Plasma's next year, wondering if that's the right call still. I'm not rushed. But here are my criteria:

1) I won't settle for LED/LCD
2) I want only high end, large screen (at least 60+ inches or don't bother)
3) I won't pay over mid-two-thousands

So far that's not been an issue. For the last few year the largest VT's and the 8000's end up below that price cut-off late in their product cycles. And criteria #2-3 means OLED is a pipe dream next year. Which means my next big TV will definitely still be plasma.

So the question is, if there is no next Panasonic model, and if Samsung is basically uncontested, will the typical price discounting pattern hold? Or will the pattern change in which case I would have been better off buying now?

I recall when Pioneer was on it's last year the pricing was a mixed bag. Some people got incredible discounts in local stores but that was hit-and-miss and the online stores were actually higher due to limited inventory in the last few months. I recall going into the local BB's with a copy of a receipt someone had scanned for me of their great deal at a BB in another state and none of the one's in my state would come within $500 of price matching it despite it being the same chain (one of the many reasons BB blows).

Obviously we're all speculating unless anyone has a time machine but curious what the thoughts are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-18-2013, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They are going to be making the 2013 "60 series" models. Since you intend on waiting to buy one at the end of the run I would wait. I'm sure there will be discounts in 2014 even if there is no 2014 "70 series" models coming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page