Official ZT60 Owners Thread - Page 501 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 638Likes

post #15001 of 15032 Old 11-04-2019, 10:56 AM
RRF

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 23
With only 2000 hours, my 65ZT60 is barely broken in and is a flawless panel.
I am curious as to how many hours were on panels that required servicing... replacement boards etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15002 of 15032 Old 11-06-2019, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 116
^^^ Nice! Good question. I'm also interested in knowing.

I would also like to know the build dates for panels that needed servicing.

If there are issues with my electronics I usually look for a pattern of failures and try to identify a common denominator of failures. Not that I look for problems but I want to research solutions to try to extend the life of my electronic purchases since I don't upgrade constantly...I try to get long use of my purchases and for many years.

Ambassador for Toronto
post #15003 of 15032 Old 11-07-2019, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRF View Post
With only 2000 hours, my 65ZT60 is barely broken in and is a flawless panel.
I am curious as to how many hours were on panels that required servicing... replacement boards etc.
Any TV component can fail at any time, whether it's 5 days old or 5 years old. I don't think there's any correlation between hours used and panel failure or board failure.

The panel itself cannot be serviced - if the panel or it's on-board electronics fail then the whole panel had to be replaced. And the last three years or so that Panasonic made Plasma TVs, it became cheaper to just replace the whole TV under warranty than to warehouse spare panels, pay the high shipping cost to ship it to the service center, hope it doesn't get broken during the trip, then pay a service center to replace said bad panel under warranty. Panasonic (and Samsung) started to just ship a whole new TV to the consumer once deemed defective.

But there is one thing Panasonic Plasma owners can do to reduce their chances of having a board fail - take an hour and remove the rear cover and snug down all the board screws. They tend to come loose over time and that often leads to board failure.

I've posted about it in the GT50 Buzzing Poll thread and provided detailed tips on doing this preventative maintenance. The whole thread is only 2 pages long so it's worth a read. I posted my repair saga starting at post #39 . . .

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-p...l#post57967794

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Darbee DVP-5000S, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - https://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15004 of 15032 Old 11-07-2019, 09:37 AM
RRF

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Since I use a wall mount, I have added a computer fan to pull cooler air in behind the panel when in use. An old cell phone charger is all that is needed to power it.
post #15005 of 15032 Old 11-07-2019, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
Any TV component can fail at any time, whether it's 5 days old or 5 years old. I don't think there's any correlation between hours used and panel failure or board failure.

But there is one thing Panasonic Plasma owners can do to reduce their chances of having a board fail - take an hour and remove the rear cover and snug down all the board screws. They tend to come loose over time and that often leads to board failure.

I've posted about it in the GT50 Buzzing Poll thread and provided detailed tips on doing this preventative maintenance. The whole thread is only 2 pages long so it's worth a read. I posted my repair saga starting at post #39 . . .

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-p...l#post57967794 ____________________________________
Can't disagree with taking the rear cover off and and snugging down the board screws. But not on a ZT. The risk is high for causing micro fractures to the panel when reinstalling the rear cover. You better know what you're doing if you take the the rear cover off a ZT.
post #15006 of 15032 Old 11-09-2019, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 116
^^^ Agree! IMO removing the rear cover off on a Panasonic ZT60 is not worth the risk.

That's why I have never removed mine for the fan noise fix.

How many perfectly good ZT60 panels were accidently micro-fractured taking the enjoyment out of an otherwise perfect panel.

The fan noise level was never an issue for me and I passed my last hearing exam with no hearing problems.

Ambassador for Toronto
post #15007 of 15032 Old 11-09-2019, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I did finally plug my ZT60 into my new UPSes, the subwoofer too. Not sure if my hearing is going or not (everything else seems to be), but hardly heard any buzzing at all (in my brief test of content that used to cause it to buzz). Probably will do some more testing as relevant content makes itself known.

Last edited by fmalczewski; 11-09-2019 at 01:13 PM.
post #15008 of 15032 Old 11-18-2019, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I got an Apple TV a few weeks back, and because I have an older Yamaha 5.1 Receiver with no HDMI, I plugged it in to my ZT60. Great picture, but the sound is limited to the TV speakers, as I have the lone audio output going to my wireless headphones. This past weekend I got an optical splitter and ran an optical cable to my receiver. It doesn't look like this TV is passing 5.1 digital from the HDMI connections to the optical port. I'm getting 5.1 through antenna, but that's it, just stereo from HDMI. Is there a way to fix this? Checked the menu and eHelp, but couldn't find any info.
post #15009 of 15032 Old 11-18-2019, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by vando45 View Post
I got an Apple TV a few weeks back, and because I have an older Yamaha 5.1 Receiver with no HDMI, I plugged it in to my ZT60. Great picture, but the sound is limited to the TV speakers, as I have the lone audio output going to my wireless headphones. This past weekend I got an optical splitter and ran an optical cable to my receiver. It doesn't look like this TV is passing 5.1 digital from the HDMI connections to the optical port. I'm getting 5.1 through antenna, but that's it, just stereo from HDMI. Is there a way to fix this? Checked the menu and eHelp, but couldn't find any info.
Ya probably not going to happen. Your asking the TV to accept 5.1 thru HDMI and then pass thru optical. It can do it thru ARC but not thru optical. New receiver time.
post #15010 of 15032 Old 11-19-2019, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by vando45 View Post

These will only output 5.1 using internal tv apps and the tuner, sorry. Optical and ARC will act the same.
post #15011 of 15032 Old 11-19-2019, 03:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalczewski View Post
I did finally plug my ZT60 into my new UPSes, the subwoofer too. Not sure if my hearing is going or not (everything else seems to be), but hardly heard any buzzing at all (in my brief test of content that used to cause it to buzz). Probably will do some more testing as relevant content makes itself known.

Thanks for the info, So what UPS model did you plug the TV into? Keep us posted with any updates.
post #15012 of 15032 Old 11-19-2019, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post
Thanks for the info, So what UPS model did you plug the TV into? Keep us posted with any updates.
Since about '07 I was using 1500VA APC Smart-UPSes. These are the ones that buzzed along with the ZT60 when it decided to buzz (usually with heavy white or bright content). (I stopped hooking up the plasma to the UPS once I realized that that was what was happening. (And the subwoofer too at some point; it had two repairs done to its board early on.))

I also had a slightly newer one of them for my old Mac Pro tower that I got in '08, thing about it is that the fan was always on, unlike the slightly older two. After the tower was replaced with a quiet computer earlier this year, and after the UPS battery died yet again (and the indicator lights on the UPS became unpredictable), I decided it was time to move on and went with a CyberPower Smart App Sinewave UPS (model PR1500LCDN)... It normally runs silent (fan off unless it's doing its thing), and is a lot quieter when the power is removed.

I liked it well enough (I can actually log into it to see what's going on with it and change settings from my Mac) that the other two APCs for the home theater got replaced shortly thereafter. Time will tell how well they hold up (got one bad one along the way) in the real world, since thunderstorm season is over, and things tend to be a lot tamer in the off season, but they seem to be working fine.

No update on buzzing, I just haven't heard any lately, nor have I tried anything else yet to instigate it otherwise.

And I think my back has finally recovered from moving them (both the old and the new) about a dozen times or so, though my elbow hasn't been quite the same since. (Old/bad ones are in the basement now, just in case. The bad ones will be recycled one of these days; the good ones plugged in every once in a while, might come in handy some day.)
whipit likes this.
post #15013 of 15032 Old 11-19-2019, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Ickles View Post
Ya probably not going to happen. Your asking the TV to accept 5.1 thru HDMI and then pass thru optical. It can do it thru ARC but not thru optical. New receiver time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post
These will only output 5.1 using internal tv apps and the tuner, sorry. Optical and ARC will act the same.
Thanks for the info. Looks like a good excuse to get a new receiver.
Test Ickles likes this.
post #15014 of 15032 Old 11-22-2019, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

The panel itself cannot be serviced - if the panel or it's on-board electronics fail then the whole panel had to be replaced. And the last three years or so that Panasonic made Plasma TVs, it became cheaper to just replace the whole TV under warranty than to warehouse spare panels, pay the high shipping cost to ship it to the service center, hope it doesn't get broken during the trip, then pay a service center to replace said bad panel under warranty. Panasonic (and Samsung) started to just ship a whole new TV to the consumer once deemed defective.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-p...l#post57967794

I have seen a post that mentioned the problematic models were made in 2010-2011.

I'm not experiencing any buzzing (yet) and would certainly do the suggested fix if necessary. Just don't want to remove the back of a 60" TV if I don't have to.

I do want to keep this thing running as long as I can, for sure. Only issue I have is occasionally the set just powers-off for no reason.
post #15015 of 15032 Old 11-24-2019, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkelch View Post
I have a ZT-60 manufactured April 2013. Would you know if the issues with loose screws was solved when Panasonic added lock washers in models made after 2012?

I have seen a post that mentioned the problematic models were made in 2010-2011.

I'm not experiencing any buzzing (yet) and would certainly do the suggested fix if necessary. Just don't want to remove the back of a 60" TV if I don't have to.

I do want to keep this thing running as long as I can, for sure. Only issue I have is occasionally the set just powers-off for no reason.
No loose screw issues on a 2013 that I've ever heard. The ZT60 and VT60 have been very reliable. I wouldn't go to the trouble. Check your settings on the power off issue. If you got some kind of eco setting enabled.

Last edited by Test Ickles; 11-24-2019 at 07:10 PM.
post #15016 of 15032 Old 11-25-2019, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
My ZT60 was manufactured in July 2013, and I never hear any buzzing. The internal fan noise can't be heard during normal viewing, so I never found it necessary to remove the back panel.

In the settings, there is an option to shut off the set after a period of inactivity. If you haven't done it already, you might want to see how you have your inactivity timer set up.
post #15017 of 15032 Old 11-25-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalczewski View Post
My ZT60 is the longest lasting big screen tv I've had (and first/last plasma).

(Although I did need to replace a board in it that was bad pretty much from the start, just took a while to figure out the actual problem and the fix for it, thanks to some posters here.)

And now that I've finally updated to different UPSes for the home theater, I'm toying with the idea of plugging the plasma into one of them again. I had it that way early on with the old UPSes, but one of my speculated causes of the board failure was the UPS itself messing things up a little with the electricity it provided to the plasma (it buzzed right along with the plasma buzz), so ever since I've just had it plugged into a surge protector power strip instead (along with my subwoofer, for similar UPS-trust reasons).
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
I've owned 5 Panasonic plasma TV through the years. Currently have a 54" V10 and my 60" ZT. Never had a Panasonic plasma TV die on me. Great TVs.
Greatly enjoying my 10 (eleven?) year-old Panasonic V-10. 50”. My only regret is not getting the 55” that year ! No signs of any problems...no burn in. The only thing I occasionally see (if I go looking for it) is temporary “image retention.” I see an occasional info box ticker at the bottom or even a logo on rarity. Also have a Panny GT-50. Even better ! It is brighter, so it might more occasionally show some temporary “image retention.” Oddly, it shows (for just brief period of maybe 10 minutes) faint LINES of the DirecTV menu horizontal lines.
With OLED’s reported problems, I only wish we could have had 4K plasma.
post #15018 of 15032 Old 11-26-2019, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 7
So im picking up a p65zt60 soon as a replacement to my LG 75SK8070. My question is will this still be the great revelation of a tv I want it to be or will it be to outdated?

I'll be loosing screen size, 4k, HDR and probably a vastly better user interface for Netflix and other apps. My big issue with the LG is that the black levels are just straight awful. Its great for playing games but I watch vastly more movies than I play games and it really bad haloing' the back light is so bad its a joke it even says it has local dimming.

Im also wondering how well its going to work out with all my UHD movies. Im playing them on a Xbox one X but, I know it will down convert. Will it handle the HDR to SDR in a reasonable fashion or will I be better off playing the blu ray disk for movies?
post #15019 of 15032 Old 11-26-2019, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clesarie View Post
So im picking up a p65zt60 soon as a replacement to my LG 75SK8070. My question is will this still be the great revelation of a tv I want it to be or will it be to outdated?

I'll be loosing screen size, 4k, HDR and probably a vastly better user interface for Netflix and other apps. My big issue with the LG is that the black levels are just straight awful. Its great for playing games but I watch vastly more movies than I play games and it really bad haloing' the back light is so bad its a joke it even says it has local dimming.

Im also wondering how well its going to work out with all my UHD movies. Im playing them on a Xbox one X but, I know it will down convert. Will it handle the HDR to SDR in a reasonable fashion or will I be better off playing the blu ray disk for movies?
Is this your first Plasma TV? Take your time at the seller and test it.. I would bring the Xbox One X with you, a well known HDR movie..
Trust your eyes..

Blackl level is great and there is no such thing as Haloing or local dimming things going on ;-)

2013 Panasonic TX-P42STW60 PDP
2013 Panasonic TX-P42X60E PDP
post #15020 of 15032 Old 11-26-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce2019 View Post
Is this your first Plasma TV? Take your time at the seller and test it.. I would bring the Xbox One X with you, a well known HDR movie..
Trust your eyes..

Blackl level is great and there is no such thing as Haloing or local dimming things going on ;-)
Not my first plasma. I've owned a Kuro, and a Samsung before. I just moved on past plasma when 4k came out. I love all sorts of tvs for all sorts of different qualitys they bring but im kind of a snob on quality in fit and finish as well as PQ. Ive still got a ton of Sony tubes just because I like that contrast so much to include their fw900.

My biggest concern is truly transportation. I have to drive this plasma from NY to NC. I was able to get it for only $400 but im worried about transportation damage. Granted at 400 dollars its a wash if it breaks. I'd say bringing my xbox would be a huge pain as im flying there then renting a car and driving it back.

I've transported plasmas laying flat before and it takes a great deal of effort but I cant find any reasonable way to stand this thing up so I plan to completely wrap the tv in bubble wrap multiple times over, line the back of the car with pillows and then use bungy cords to stop any movement from happening. Though I question if the bungy cords are putting to much stress on the panel.
Bruce2019 likes this.
post #15021 of 15032 Old 11-26-2019, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok, you are a pro.. ;-)

This will be quite a stunt..
Clesarie likes this.

post #15022 of 15032 Old 11-26-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Ok, you are a pro.. ;-)

This will be quite a stunt..
Haha I wouldn't say im a pro I'd say when I want something I go out of my way to get it. I constantly seem to have to keep going to New York to get stuff. Bought my wifes car there then drove it back 13 horus now im doing the same for this tv. If all goes well i'll post some pictures of it mounted and displayed.
Bruce2019 likes this.
post #15023 of 15032 Old 11-26-2019, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Trust your eyes..

Is there a good "shakedown" test for the VT60/ZT60 ? I'm in the market for one, but I know little of how I could go about testing it, telling a good one from a bad one, etc.
post #15024 of 15032 Old 11-26-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CranRazz View Post
Is there a good "shakedown" test for the VT60/ZT60 ? I'm in the market for one, but I know little of how I could go about testing it, telling a good one from a bad one, etc.
I cant say for this tv specifically but do your due diligence. On a plasma I'd highly recommend seeing a complete white picture, complete black and complete grey. I'd test all ports on the tv making sure they all functions. Listen for noises, If the test mode or service menu hours an hour clock you can see how long the screen been on. Look for obvious burn in and retention. Normally the more stuff a person keeps for a tv the better care they take of their stuff in the first place. I've never seen anyone with the original box's and literature that didn't have a fantastic spec tv.
post #15025 of 15032 Old 12-09-2019, 09:52 AM

The journey was worthwhile!

Got on a plane at 830 in RDU. Arrive in ny at 10. Drove to the house to pick it up and got there at 12. Then drove the tv in a van all the way from NY to Raleigh nc.

This tv is literally the best display i've ever owned. Me and my wife were both absolutely amazed that a 1080p display without HDR is playing back UHD movies delivering a better picture than any 4k HDR set we own. ( Sony x930c, SK8070, friend samsung nu8000 )

Pictures of the setup to come. This tv truly live up to its legendary name and its built like a tank. Im shocked it survived the journey. I had to lay it complete flat and drive over rough terrain for approximately 10 hours straight.
fmalczewski, whipit and Bruce2019 like this.

Last edited by Clesarie; 12-09-2019 at 05:38 PM.
post #15026 of 15032 Old 12-09-2019, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Very cool, and Congratulations! You have the Best and Last plasma panasonic ever made. I know a guy who fixes and repairs tv's and has about 30 higher end tv's in his garage even an oled. But has a ZT60 as his main tv for viewing...

That says something about how great the ZT is, he laughed hysterically at me when i asked to buy it.
Clesarie likes this.

(2)-Panasonic TC-P55VT30 / Yamaha RX-V3800 / Mirage Omni Speakers / Velodyne subs
(1)-Panasonic TC-P55GT30
post #15027 of 15032 Old 12-09-2019, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Amazing!
Clesarie likes this.

post #15028 of 15032 Old 12-09-2019, 09:30 PM

Not the best pictures I could take but, its really a spectacular tv.

Some quick questions on apps. It seems like its pretty outdated on its apps. Is there any custom firmware or ways to load things like Hulu and Disney Plus? I mostly find that using my xbox one s is vastly better in video clarity than whats being displayed on the tv's streaming apps but, it makes it simpler for the wife to just use the tv.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	2651838   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	2651840   Click image for larger version

Name:	slug2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	2651842   Click image for larger version

Name:	red.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	2651844   Click image for larger version

Name:	slug.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	2651846  

Click image for larger version

Name:	kingdom.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	2651848   Click image for larger version

Name:	tic.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	2651850   Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	2651854   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	2651856  
Bruce2019 likes this.

Last edited by Clesarie; 12-10-2019 at 09:51 AM.
post #15029 of 15032 Old 12-11-2019, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clesarie View Post
It seems like its pretty outdated on its apps. Is there any custom firmware or ways to load things like Hulu and Disney Plus? I mostly find that using my xbox one s is vastly better in video clarity than whats being displayed on the tv's streaming apps but, it makes it simpler for the wife to just use the tv.
I don't believe there is. From time to time I'll get a notice from a company advising their App is no longer supported. Companies don't want to spend the money to update an App that has fewer and fewer users as these TV age.
post #15030 of 15032 Old 12-11-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
I don't believe there is. From time to time I'll get a notice from a company advising their App is no longer supported. Companies don't want to spend the money to update an App that has fewer and fewer users as these TV age.
I literally think thats the best thing about Sony tv's using Android. My x930 still receives regular updates. Hell at on point the whole user interface changed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page