Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 483 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1353Likes

post #14461 of 14502 Old 06-09-2019, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have looked thru the seperate thread herein on avsforum about certain failures of f8500 plasma sets. Maybe as a senior i have not noticed the five blinks of red light upon command on. Interal emanual references loose power cord. I've checked that. Is there much to worry about ? Thanks for your patience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14462 of 14502 Old 06-10-2019, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My Samsung PN64F8500 finally failed about a month ago after a couple of years with of the Y-sustain board power on issues. It would work sometimes for months without a problem, then would refuse to start. I gave up and replaced it with the LG C8 in May.

I took the back off the PN64 but didn’t see any obvious blown capacitors. Even tested them with the multimeter. I ordered replacement 25 volt 10 uF capacitors but chickened out soldering it myself. Called the local service guy who clipped off the 3 old offending capacitors and tack soldered on the new ones in 15 minutes for the $75 service call. The Samsung started up on the first try and is working great again. It cost less to fix it than hiring someone to haul it off!

I am done with Samsung. Samsung service and tech support denied thee was a problem, despite their own service bulletins describing the fix. They didn’t want to help. Can’t believe that 3 - $0.60 capacitors caused this many problems. If I had known it was this easy I would have fixed it years ago rather than suffer through the issue.

So much for the 2013 “King of HDTVs” .
cockatiel likes this.

BDP-83 EAP 300 Member
post #14463 of 14502 Old 06-10-2019, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofKaty View Post
My Samsung PN64F8500 finally failed about a month ago after a couple of years with of the Y-sustain board power on issues. It would work sometimes for months without a problem, then would refuse to start. I gave up and replaced it with the LG C8 in May.

I took the back off the PN64 but didn’t see any obvious blown capacitors. Even tested them with the multimeter. I ordered replacement 25 volt 10 uF capacitors but chickened out soldering it myself. Called the local service guy who clipped off the 3 old offending capacitors and tack soldered on the new ones in 15 minutes for the $75 service call. The Samsung started up on the first try and is working great again. It cost less to fix it than hiring someone to haul it off!

I am done with Samsung. Samsung service and tech support denied thee was a problem, despite their own service bulletins describing the fix. They didn’t want to help. Can’t believe that 3 - $0.60 capacitors caused this many problems. If I had known it was this easy I would have fixed it years ago rather than suffer through the issue.

So much for the 2013 “King of HDTVs” .
KingofKaty, I may have just joined the club. Been having issues, but they always resolved after unplugging TV for awhile. Today, no red light, no clicking, no picture, and no sound. My plasma is dead! The lack of a red indicator (power) light normally tells me that its possibly the power supply board, but I'm not sure. Prior to your replacement of the 3 capacitors on the Y-sus board, did you still have a red indicator light? Could the capacitor issue really shut down the whole TV?

PS. Where did you order the capacitors from as I might need to do the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14464 of 14502 Old 06-11-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvman View Post
KingofKaty, I may have just joined the club. Been having issues, but they always resolved after unplugging TV for awhile. Today, no red light, no clicking, no picture, and no sound. My plasma is dead! The lack of a red indicator (power) light normally tells me that its possibly the power supply board, but I'm not sure. Prior to your replacement of the 3 capacitors on the Y-sus board, did you still have a red indicator light? Could the capacitor issue really shut down the whole TV?

PS. Where did you order the capacitors from as I might need to do the same.
Yes, my red light in the lower left corner always worked. If I held down on the power on button with the remote the light would slowly then rapidly flash. The repairman who fixed my TV said that sometimes the soldering on the main power board go bad. He pulled out my power board and flipped it over to check. You should also check the main fuses. Thee are 2 of them about 2” long, white, and come off the wiring block that leads to the power cable. The Y service board has some test spots to check incoming voltage. There is a service bulletin from Samsung that tells you how to check for the Y board capacitor issue.

I got the ceramic capacitors from Mouser Electronics. Made by TDK. 25 volt DC 10 uF. They were $0.60 each plus $7.99 shipping.

Good luck with your TV!
clerici79 likes this.

BDP-83 EAP 300 Member
post #14465 of 14502 Old 06-21-2019, 04:42 PM

Thanks everyone for input. Brought the old girl back to life with a used power supply board and the 3 capacitor fix. She looks great!
KingofKaty and cockatiel like this.
post #14466 of 14502 Old 06-22-2019, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvman View Post
Thanks everyone for input. Brought the old girl back to life with a used power supply board and the 3 capacitor fix. She looks great!
Great job!
post #14467 of 14502 Old 06-27-2019, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Ickles View Post
Great job!
Unfortunately my 60" went dark this week. Based on some comments, it appears its the power supply board and capacitor issue. Anyone know a good TV repair guy in New Jersey specifically Morris County that can help me out with this??? Where can I buy the Board and capacitors? I really dont want to downgrade to any other TV... Thanks in advance!
post #14468 of 14502 Old 06-28-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio Nieto View Post
Unfortunately my 60" went dark this week. Based on some comments, it appears its the power supply board and capacitor issue. Anyone know a good TV repair guy in New Jersey specifically Morris County that can help me out with this??? Where can I buy the Board and capacitors? I really dont want to downgrade to any other TV... Thanks in advance!
Can't help on a repair shop, but you will need a used/repaired power supply board (Bn44-00602A) and the capacitors found at:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...RqDNdiy44VI0kV
post #14469 of 14502 Old 06-28-2019, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:

shopjimmy.com seems to be out of the power supply board, but there's a mail-in repair service on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mail-in-Rep...IAAOSwIjJZVrfx

When I replaced the capacitors on my 64F85000 Y-sustain board, I just removed the board and took it and the capacitors to a local guy who does general electronic repairs, and he did the job for $50. However, the last that I looked, there were also mail-in repair services for that board on eBay.
post #14470 of 14502 Old 06-29-2019, 04:51 PM

More unfortunate news- i had a repair guy diagnose the issue and turns out a fuse/circuit on the main board blew up. He's not very optimistic that it can be repaired and I'm wondering if it's even worth the effort.
post #14471 of 14502 Old 06-29-2019, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
More unfortunate news- i had a repair guy diagnose the issue and turns out a fuse/circuit on the main board blew up. He's not very optimistic that it can be repaired and I'm wondering if it's even worth the effort.
Does he have your 60" or just the board? DO you know the fellow/shop?

Most of these shops understand the resale of the boards and/or the resale of these 'displays' so unless I had the utmost confidence in the fellow/shop I might do some more research into the issue.

I had my 64" F8500 repaired with just caps and the diagnostics were pretty cut and dried. I'd repair if reasonable but what is reasonable?

I'm 17K hours into mine and repaired at 11K IIRC and I'd probably repair this one again 'if reasonable'.
post #14472 of 14502 Old 06-29-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR1 View Post
Does he have your 60" or just the board? DO you know the fellow/shop?

Most of these shops understand the resale of the boards and/or the resale of these 'displays' so unless I had the utmost confidence in the fellow/shop I might do some more research into the issue.

I had my 64" F8500 repaired with just caps and the diagnostics were pretty cut and dried. I'd repair if reasonable but what is reasonable?

I'm 17K hours into mine and repaired at 11K IIRC and I'd probably repair this one again 'if reasonable'.
He has both. I found him via angie's list and had great reviews and A grade so I think he's being straight with me. He did more research and eventually found someone that claims they can fix it. The total cost would be about $450 if repaired. If it cant be repaired then he'd charge around $100 to re-install the original board and he'll drop the tv back off. I was hoping to get some more feedback to help me decide what to do next. here are some pics he sent me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3310.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	2585706   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3311.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	2585708  
post #14473 of 14502 Old 06-30-2019, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
He has both. I found him via angie's list and had great reviews and A grade so I think he's being straight with me. He did more research and eventually found someone that claims they can fix it. The total cost would be about $450 if repaired. If it cant be repaired then he'd charge around $100 to re-install the original board and he'll drop the tv back off. I was hoping to get some more feedback to help me decide what to do next. here are some pics he sent me.
As much as I like my 60F8500, I would not pay $450 to repair it.
post #14474 of 14502 Old 07-01-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post
^^^^

I'm pretty much with this guy!

I'd maybe discuss his 'buy' of yours. If he shows interest in a purchase that might offset the 'attempt' & 'diagnostics' and put a few $$ in your pocket I'd be inclined to go that route.

Much I guess as to the value you place on it!
post #14475 of 14502 Old 07-04-2019, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post

I would pay it. I can’t go back to watching non-plasma sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #14476 of 14502 Old 07-09-2019, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I posted this in another thread on Sunday, but haven't gotten a reply, so I thought I'd try here.

I've had an F8500 for around 5 or 6 years. Bought mine shortly after they were discontinued for 800.00 It's been excellent, until today.

It went black this morning after having been on less than a half hour. I have no red standby light, no sound, nothing. Left it unplugged for over an hour, still nothing.

After reading through the thread on the power issues, I've come to the conclusion it's the main power board, and not the Y board.

From my understanding of these issues, if you have sound or a blinking red light, it's Y board. With no light or sound, it's usually the main board?

Would someone be so kind as to confirm?
post #14477 of 14502 Old 07-16-2019, 12:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
Liked: 1924
Quote:
Originally Posted by clerici79 View Post
I would pay it. I can’t go back to watching non-plasma sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
450 would be worth it if i knew it was going to perform well for a few years after the repair. the thing is, if i had to repair it twice, i don't know that i currently need the quality of the f8500, and 900bux for an old tv seems risky...

i don't think you can get a better(definitely not better pq, but maybe not even more reliable) brand new tv for 450, so there's no debate there. but it's like a car that starts breaking down, you either need to commit to it all the way, or bail at the start. nothing worse than spending money on repairs and then trashing it anyway.

i think personally, i'd keep the f8500 going for as long as i could do my own repairs. but the cost of paying somebody else, combined with the hassle of transporting the tv, might be the end for me. I no longer have the tv in my 'theater' and i generally don't do any critical viewing on it, so i'm optimistic that i could find a suitable replacement considering the lower demands

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #14478 of 14502 Old 07-16-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
450 would be worth it if i knew it was going to perform well for a few years after the repair. the thing is, if i had to repair it twice, i don't know that i currently need the quality of the f8500, and 900bux for an old tv seems risky...

i don't think you can get a better(definitely not better pq, but maybe not even more reliable) brand new tv for 450, so there's no debate there. but it's like a car that starts breaking down, you either need to commit to it all the way, or bail at the start. nothing worse than spending money on repairs and then trashing it anyway.

i think personally, i'd keep the f8500 going for as long as i could do my own repairs. but the cost of paying somebody else, combined with the hassle of transporting the tv, might be the end for me. I no longer have the tv in my 'theater' and i generally don't do any critical viewing on it, so i'm optimistic that i could find a suitable replacement considering the lower demands
I ended up repairing mine. 415.00 for 2 new boards, power and what the technician called the X board. He kept talking it up as a TV that you can't compare anything else to it. I offered to sell it to him, but he declined.

If I get 4 or 5 more years out of it, I'll be happy. Perhaps OLED will be more affordable by then. Or maybe they'll resurrect plasma.

I only paid 800.00 for mine in late 2014, so I'm not into it has deeply as some. I figured it was worth a one time repair. If it goes out again, I'm not repairing it again.
post #14479 of 14502 Old 07-16-2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbrad View Post
I posted this in another thread on Sunday, but haven't gotten a reply, so I thought I'd try here.

I've had an F8500 for around 5 or 6 years. Bought mine shortly after they were discontinued for 800.00 It's been excellent, until today.

It went black this morning after having been on less than a half hour. I have no red standby light, no sound, nothing. Left it unplugged for over an hour, still nothing.

After reading through the thread on the power issues, I've come to the conclusion it's the main power board, and not the Y board.

From my understanding of these issues, if you have sound or a blinking red light, it's Y board. With no light or sound, it's usually the main board?

Would someone be so kind as to confirm?

Probably the main board. If you are at all handy take the back off the set to test the Y board. There are gold test dots on the Y board for checking the voltage with a multimeter. No voltage means the power supply has gone bad. Check the main fuses coming off the power connection as well. Use caution to avoid electric shock. If you decide to fix it I would replace the 3 bad capacitors on the Y board at the same time. They will fail eventually too. Good luck!

BDP-83 EAP 300 Member
post #14480 of 14502 Old 07-17-2019, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofKaty View Post
Probably the main board. If you are at all handy take the back off the set to test the Y board. There are gold test dots on the Y board for checking the voltage with a multimeter. No voltage means the power supply has gone bad. Check the main fuses coming off the power connection as well. Use caution to avoid electric shock. If you decide to fix it I would replace the 3 bad capacitors on the Y board at the same time. They will fail eventually too. Good luck!
I guess you missed my previous post:

I ended up repairing mine. 415.00 for 2 new boards, power and what the technician called the X board. He kept talking it up as a TV that you can't compare anything else to it. I offered to sell it to him, but he declined.

If I get 4 or 5 more years out of it, I'll be happy. Perhaps OLED will be more affordable by then. Or maybe they'll resurrect plasma.

I only paid 800.00 for mine in late 2014, so I'm not into it has deeply as some. I figured it was worth a one time repair. If it goes out again, I'm not repairing it again.
post #14481 of 14502 Old 07-17-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbrad View Post
I guess you missed my previous post
It was late last night! Great job on resurrecting the plasma.

I replaced the Samsung with an LG C8 and a 5 year Square Trade warranty.
jmbrad likes this.

BDP-83 EAP 300 Member
post #14482 of 14502 Old 07-17-2019, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I am working on trying to repair a family members 64" that recently went kaput. No display or audio and it just keeps rebooting after the red LED blinks 6 times. I think it was 6 anyway. The same chip that burned out on Fabio Nieto's board has a brown ring around it on this board. It is labeled SN1202033. I'm going to attempt to replace it and see what happens. I'm also considering using a main board from either a 51" or 60". The specs are all the same. The only difference between the models is the size of the panel. The BNs are the same but the part numbers are different. Has anyone tried this before?
post #14483 of 14502 Old 07-30-2019, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Ok so ive been having issues with, what im assuming is the powersupply or similar.

If i shut it off, it wont poweron again until i leave it for 10minutes - this happends even if i shut the picture off only, so not only power off.
The red light is always there, but it will blink slowly when its in this state and i try to start it.

I havent read through this thread, im sure there are others with similar problems after all these years, any ideas?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sony KD-77AG9 / AppleTV4k
post #14484 of 14502 Old 07-30-2019, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by box4m View Post
Ok so ive been having issues with, what im assuming is the powersupply or similar.

If i shut it off, it wont poweron again until i leave it for 10minutes - this happends even if i shut the picture off only, so not only power off.
The red light is always there, but it will blink slowly when its in this state and i try to start it.

I havent read through this thread, im sure there are others with similar problems after all these years, any ideas?
Sounds exactly like the early stages of this:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-p...s-turning.html

As time goes on, it will take longer before it recovers, and eventually it will not recover the picture at all.

The fix is simple, just replace three ceramic capacitors on the Y-Sustain board as described in the thread above. Some owners have done it themselves, but the soldering looked too tricky for me, so I bought the capacitors from Mouser and took the board to a local electronics repair guy to fix for $50 while I waited.
post #14485 of 14502 Old 07-30-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:

You don't mention by size/model what you've really got! You ain't interested it 'SEEMS' in reading ..... so what is it that you actually expect?
post #14486 of 14502 Old 07-30-2019, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR1 View Post
You don't mention by size/model what you've really got! You ain't interested it 'SEEMS' in reading ..... so what is it that you actually expect?
You seem like a happy chap, whats your problem? I asked a question, lets not make this thread into arguments

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sony KD-77AG9 / AppleTV4k
post #14487 of 14502 Old 07-30-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
You seem like a happy chap, whats your problem? I asked a question, lets not make this thread into arguments

I have no problems ... my PN64F8500 is doing well!! 17K + hours with a capacitor replacement @ 11K (best I recall).

Ideas? YES .. READ ..!!! You took 'the bait' and still haven't mentioned size/model!!
clerici79 and box4m like this.
post #14488 of 14502 Old 07-31-2019, 12:50 AM

Hey all,

Have the 64 F8500 since 2013 (10k hours) and its been pretty good except the last 2 years with it going off due to the y-sus board cap issue. I resolved that this week by soldering them myself as the issues was occuring a few times a week, can now switch it off and back on instantly every time, but now after doing the works it now has shown another problem with it totally losing power and sometimes not getting power for a while, no leds nor lights, cant even here it get power.

There are no used boards or anything near me, should I just take the board to a repairer? I have given the board a good look over but my multi-meter skills are pretty bad. Anyone fixed a power board and know what to look for?

Thanks
post #14489 of 14502 Old 08-25-2019, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 307
I hope this is ok to post here. If anyone in the DC/VA/MD area is looking for a PN60F8500, I have one for sale. Perfect condition. Never gamed with it. Has both remotes, 4 never used 3D glasses.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/253-p...-dc-va-md.html
post #14490 of 14502 Old 08-28-2019, 07:45 PM

F8500 Closed Caption

The closed caption only works on a few channels. However, it works on most channels on other non Samsung TV's in my house. Does anyone know why closed caption does not work on this model?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv