Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 484 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1354Likes

post #14491 of 14509 Old 09-29-2019, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Well my 64" F8500, which has been flawless since 10/2014, turned itself off twice in two separate watching sessions. It restarted the first time but is completely dead now. No red light.

Based on my searches - this would indicate a completely failed/dead power supply and NOT the capacitor issue?

Can anyone recommend a mail-in service for repairing the PSU? Anything troubleshooting I can do at home to confirm?

Thanks in advance!

Quite disappointing that my 50" 10 y/o Samsung plasma is going strong and was 1/4 the price of the 64".

Video: Samsung PN50C550 & PN64F8500
Audio: Infinity Kappa 8.1's powered by a Yamaha HTR-5590
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14492 of 14509 Old 09-29-2019, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfarrell4 View Post
Well my 64" F8500, which has been flawless since 10/2014, turned itself off twice in two separate watching sessions. It restarted the first time but is completely dead now. No red light.

Based on my searches - this would indicate a completely failed/dead power supply and NOT the capacitor issue?

Can anyone recommend a mail-in service for repairing the PSU? Anything troubleshooting I can do at home to confirm?

Thanks in advance!

Quite disappointing that my 50" 10 y/o Samsung plasma is going strong and was 1/4 the price of the 64".
I have the exact same tv. My board died two weeks ago. I originally tried to buy a new power board but found it difficult to find the exact one I needed. I sent the power board in to Nicks tv repair. They have repaired the board and shipt it back. It arrives tomorrow so I can’t say for sure how it will all turn out. If it is good as new it is def worth the small cost and hassle of getting the board out and shipping to them.

https://www.nickstvs.com/store/p1581/BN44-00603A.html
post #14493 of 14509 Old 09-30-2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD30 View Post
I have the exact same tv. My board died two weeks ago. I originally tried to buy a new power board but found it difficult to find the exact one I needed. I sent the power board in to Nicks tv repair. They have repaired the board and shipt it back. It arrives tomorrow so I can’t say for sure how it will all turn out. If it is good as new it is def worth the small cost and hassle of getting the board out and shipping to them.

Please keep me updated. I found a power board for it and it will arrive next week.

https://www.tvpartstoday.com/BN44-00...n44-00603a.htm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14494 of 14509 Old 10-01-2019, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD30 View Post
I have the exact same tv. My board died two weeks ago. I originally tried to buy a new power board but found it difficult to find the exact one I needed. I sent the power board in to Nicks tv repair. They have repaired the board and shipt it back. It arrives tomorrow so I can’️t say for sure how it will all turn out. If it is good as new it is def worth the small cost and hassle of getting the board out and shipping to them.

Please keep me updated. I found a power board for it and it will arrive next week.

That’s great I hope that board works. I’ve got my repaired one installed and the tv came right up. I let it play a movie on repeat for several hours to try and see if it was going to crap out again. So far so good

Hopefully we can both get many many more years out of this great tv. I still feel the picture holds up today.
wfarrell4 likes this.
post #14495 of 14509 Old 10-01-2019, 03:41 PM

Awesome - thanks!

post #14496 of 14509 Old 10-08-2019, 03:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Hi,

Hopefully one of the owners of this plasma can help me. I purchased the 64" Samsung F8500 on 10/17/14. Great television; bought it shortly before Samsung stopped selling it. However, shortly after I purchased it I noticed that occasionally when using the remote the menu would "stick" on the screen and stay there for a few minutes. One time I actually had to unplug the TV for the menu to disappear. So I limit my menu use for the most part to switching HDMI ports between DirecTV receiver and Blu-ray player (although, again, at times it will stick on HDMI 2 or HDMI 4 for a few minutes). Further, in the last year or so, I have other occasional problems: on perhaps ten occasions when I turned the TV on it would be very light (very little blackness). However, each time I turned the TV off and then on, the picture would return to normal. Finally, I have had about three times where the TV just turned off by itself.

My five-year warranty with Best Buy expires in about ten days, so would really appreciate if others have experience these problems, what it took to fix (if possible), and recommendations on how to approach or tell Best Buy. Preferably this problem could be fixed in my home. Problem could be is that I cannot replicate the situations on demand; however, if well know problem, perhaps they would be aware and could replace the faulty part(s).

Any advice really appreciated! Thank you.

Last edited by igreg; 10-08-2019 at 03:30 AM.
post #14497 of 14509 Old 10-08-2019, 06:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post
Hi,

Hopefully one of the owners of this plasma can help me. I purchased the 64" Samsung F8500 on 10/17/14. Great television; bought it shortly before Samsung stopped selling it. However, shortly after I purchased it I noticed that occasionally when using the remote the menu would "stick" on the screen and stay there for a few minutes. One time I actually had to unplug the TV for the menu to disappear. So I limit my menu use for the most part to switching HDMI ports between DirecTV receiver and Blu-ray player (although, again, at times it will stick on HDMI 2 or HDMI 4 for a few minutes). Further, in the last year or so, I have other occasional problems: on perhaps ten occasions when I turned the TV on it would be very light (very little blackness). However, each time I turned the TV off and then on, the picture would return to normal. Finally, I have had about three times where the TV just turned off by itself.

My five-year warranty with Best Buy expires in about ten days, so would really appreciate if others have experience these problems, what it took to fix (if possible), and recommendations on how to approach or tell Best Buy. Preferably this problem could be fixed in my home. Problem could be is that I cannot replicate the situations on demand; however, if well know problem, perhaps they would be aware and could replace the faulty part(s).

Any advice really appreciated! Thank you.
Do you have 'both' remotes? Is software up to date? How many hours? Have you mentioned the problems to Best Buy previously? I'd think you can only assure the software is 'current'. I don't know why if you haven't discussed it previously why you'd wait until near end of warranty.

On a wall or free standing?

Good luck!
post #14498 of 14509 Old 10-08-2019, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR1 View Post
Do you have 'both' remotes? Is software up to date? How many hours? Have you mentioned the problems to Best Buy previously? I'd think you can only assure the software is 'current'. I don't know why if you haven't discussed it previously why you'd wait until near end of warranty.

Good luck!
Do not know if software is current. Not aware that you can update the software. If so, please explain. Yes, both remotes, but problem has occurred on either. Not wall mounted. Did not mention since problem intermittent. Regardkless, came hear to hear from others regarding their experiences and views of situation and repairs. I do not know if parts even still available. Thanks. (Not so sure I want to check hours because of problem it could create) Thank you.
post #14499 of 14509 Old 10-08-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Do not know if software is current. Not aware that you can update the software. If so, please explain. Yes, both remotes, but problem has occurred on either. Not wall mounted. Did not mention since problem intermittent. Regardkless, came hear to hear from others regarding their experiences and views of situation and repairs. I do not know if parts even still available. Thanks. (Not so sure I want to check hours because of problem it could create) Thank you.
Mine is @ 1217 and I did that when I was doing the 'capacitor' repair. Mine is not Internet connected so I've looked for none newer since then. I didn't ever rely on the internal apps so I wasn't concerned.

A search of this thread for 1217 and maybe 1215 will mention what if any are out there and what was actually updated. I've no idea what current is. Call Samsung maybe and explain your issues. In the past they've been tough to talk to. I'm nearly 60 miles from an approved service facility and NEVER got reasonable support for either the F8500 or the 58" prior to that.

If you're Internet connected maybe check and 'update' OR READ/RESEARCH

MENU > SUPPORT > SOFTWARE UPDATE

It will display current in the far right!

Wouldn't hurt to maybe talk to Best Buy particularly if you've a 'relationship'!!!

I don't recall if I did the last update using a 'wired' connection or by USB - Previous to that last one I'm quite sure I used USB. Never relying on the 'internal' appsI usually leave software/firmware as is!!!

I don't believe the MENU 'sticking/not canceling' is much of an issue - mine does that from time to time.

Last edited by WVZR1; 10-08-2019 at 01:12 PM.
post #14500 of 14509 Old 10-08-2019, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Mine is @ 1217 and I did that when I was doing the 'capacitor' repair. Mine is not Internet connected so I've looked for none newer since then. I didn't ever rely on the internal apps so I wasn't concerned.

A search of this thread for 1217 and maybe 1215 will mention what if any are out there and what was actually updated. I've no idea what current is. Call Samsung maybe and explain your issues. In the past they've been tough to talk to. I'm nearly 60 miles from an approved service facility and NEVER got reasonable support for either the F8500 or the 58" prior to that.

If you're Internet connected maybe check and 'update' OR READ/RESEARCH

MENU > SUPPORT > SOFTWARE UPDATE

It will display current in the far right!

Wouldn't hurt to maybe talk to Best Buy particularly if you've a 'relationship'!!!

I don't recall if I did the last update using a 'wired' connection or by USB - Previous to that last one I'm quite sure I used USB. Never relying on the 'internal' appsI usually leave software/firmware as is!!!

I don't believe the MENU 'sticking/not canceling' is much of an issue - mine does that from time to time.
Thanks for reply. Appears from reviews on Amazon and here, that the TV has a problem with the power supply, but mixed results on having parts available and getting fixed. What would need to be fixed for the power supply failures?

I am thinking that with my issues my TV will one day turn off and not turn on like many of the others have reported. Wonder if they would repair even if I cannot show problem, if they could fix in home, and if it could make the problem worse! At least do not have buzzing that many people have found very irritating and perhaps fixing the power supply could results in that? Perhaps just best leaving alone, and if fails buying the top rated 2019 LG OLED? Any members with power issues or other issues I have described and success with repairs appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. Not quite follow your software instructions as far as staying away from internet for updates, leaving "software/firmware as is!!!" Would an update not change the software? Not even sure the purpose of updates. I would think it would have to do with smart features which I do not use primarily because use the apps on my PS3 since get sound routed via HDMI to Onkyo receiver, and the issue with menus sticking.

Thanks for your help.
post #14501 of 14509 Old 10-13-2019, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
After the Power board Diode repair I got done in August 2017 over 2 years no issues. In October 2019 picture used to go off after 3 to 5 minutes of switching on. Removing power and reconnecting the TV worked but after few minutes the picture switched off.

Removed the power board and took it to Computer Clinik in Lincoln (UK) and the guy there Nick is a genius. He looked at the board and tested 3 to 4 areas of the circuit and noted a tiny gap in the solder in one area on the board, did the soldering and in 5 minutes resolved the issue. I put the board back in and fired the TV.

To my Delight Samsung F8500 is running flawlessly again. 5 years of heavy use and the brightness is still great, no plasma burn. Watched Gravity in 3D again and man the images are crisp and bright. Bought in May 2014 and it is one of the best buys I made and superb value for money.

Plan to buy LG-C9 77 inch when the price drops to £4500 next Feb or March (frickin costly compared to US prices in UK....daylight robbery). Will miss 3D of Sammy Plasma.
post #14502 of 14509 Old 10-14-2019, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
New owner of a pn60f8500

I drove 5 hours to meet the original owner of this beautiful tv. I'm a plasma and CRT fan and I'm Not disappointed with this TV. It has not been repaired and has 3K hours in it. I just did a firmware upgrade since it was never done and I was so sad to see the smart hub downgrade. I just finished calibrating it and so glad to see Gaming as PC mode 4:4:4 RGB full, low lag and also Blu-rays in the correct format automatically with rich colors and excellent light output.

Hopefully, I won't be replacing any boards or capacitors (knock on wood), but if so, I am prepared by reading this thread.

Thank you guys for your feedback!
clerici79 and Bruce2019 like this.
post #14503 of 14509 Old 10-18-2019, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Good luck!
Thanks for reply. I called Best Buy and they will honor the warranty. A couple Geek Squad techs are scheduled for next Saturday. My question is whether you think they can diagnosis the problems listed without me being able to replicate them. Secondly, as TV been fine for months now, that the diagnostics/repair could make it worse? Or result in the infamous high-pitch buzzing sound that fortunately I never had?

Any advice regarding the Geek Squad checking it out appreciated.
post #14504 of 14509 Old 10-18-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks for reply. I called Best Buy and they will honor the warranty. A couple Geek Squad techs are scheduled for next Saturday. My question is whether you think they can diagnosis the problems listed without me being able to replicate them. Secondly, as TV been fine for months now, that the diagnostics/repair could make it worse? Or result in the infamous high-pitch buzzing sound that fortunately I never had?

Any advice regarding the Geek Squad checking it out appreciated.
I'd think BB guys should have all relevant TSB information available and would do minimal diagnostics. I'm sure they'd probably at least make sure SW is updated to most current. If they're interested in helping you there's very much they can/could do I'd think. You need to understand they don't do PLASMA everyday!!

I'd have done something a very long time ago!!!

Get as much documentation as you can I'd think regarding the visit! You're pretty much @ their mercy I guess. Make it worse? Sounds like you're wanting someone to mention 'COIN TOSS' - if that's what you're after toss the damn coin'!!

Can you make an Ethernet cable from your router available to the display where the TV sits now? I'd do that for sure for the BB guys.
post #14505 of 14509 Old 10-31-2019, 03:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Solution for audio glitch problem?

For maybe a year I have had a problem with my pn64f8500.

When I watch tv I sometimes experience a small pause/glitch in the audio for a fraction of a second - but very noticable. It happens with varying frequency but several times per hour. It happens when streaming from inbuilt apps like Netflix but also when using external sources like a chromecast or blu-ray player.

It makes no difference if I use inbuilt or external speakers.

My workaround is to connect my chromecast to my audio receiver and only feed video to the tv but I would like to know if there is a solution to this issue so I can avoid the workaround.

Thanks
post #14506 of 14509 Old 10-31-2019, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by danfuglo View Post
Solution for audio glitch problem?

For maybe a year I have had a problem with my pn64f8500.

When I watch tv I sometimes experience a small pause/glitch in the audio for a fraction of a second - but very noticable. It happens with varying frequency but several times per hour. It happens when streaming from inbuilt apps like Netflix but also when using external sources like a chromecast or blu-ray player.

It makes no difference if I use inbuilt or external speakers.

My workaround is to connect my chromecast to my audio receiver and only feed video to the tv but I would like to know if there is a solution to this issue so I can avoid the workaround.

Thanks

I’m confused. I thought the workaround is to use external speakers with the chromecast, but you also said the issue happens on external speakers , too.

That said, It sounds like you’ve eliminated the sources because it happens on internal and external apps (Netflix on TV and Netflix on Chromecast, for example).maybe WiFi vs hardwired. Never experienced this on mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #14507 of 14509 Old 11-06-2019, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clerici79 View Post
I’m confused. I thought the workaround is to use external speakers with the chromecast, but you also said the issue happens on external speakers , too.

That said, It sounds like you’ve eliminated the sources because it happens on internal and external apps (Netflix on TV and Netflix on Chromecast, for example).maybe WiFi vs hardwired. Never experienced this on mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for your reply.

Just to clarify: The workaround is to only feed video to the TV and no sound. The sound is sent directly to the amplifier without going through the TV. When using chromecast I insert it into the amplifier and the amplifier sends video only to the TV.
post #14508 of 14509 Old 11-15-2019, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My 8500 started that reboot cycle. i've had it since it first came out. I'm upgrading and want to get rid of it. What'd you guys think- can i sell it as is? I googled fixing it and it seems if you're handy you can send the power supply out and get it fixed for $99 - of course you'd have to remove and reinstall - which i am completely incapable of doing! How much can i expect (hope) to get - if anything? Or any other ideas? Thanks!

eddieras
post #14509 of 14509 Old 11-15-2019, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

checked your link, out of stock, ouch

7.2 with Thiel Power Points, twin Seaton Submersive F2's in Espresso. D-Sonic Amp, Marantz Pre-Pro, Richard Grey Power, Control 4 Home Automation, lots of Blue Jean Cables, Oppo 103D, QNAP 423, Roku, Darbee, Samsung Plasma 64" 8500 all in a Salamander Synergy 247 in Walnut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page