OFFICIAL LG 60PN5700 60" Class Thread - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #481 of 711 Old 02-27-2014, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetrants View Post

Hmm....good question. If you really do keep your set tuned to programs with lots of banners, I'd probably recommend against plasma. You said 95%...if it were 40% or 50%, maybe...but anything that high I think is not a good idea. And that's coming from the guy who teases all the other owners about break-in! LOL

-Matt
thanks Matt

it could be 98% i watch 1 or less movies a month and a hand full of sit coms and 60 minutes. always wanted a plasma about 10 years back looked at a 60'' it was nice but 10k and at 1/13th of that price thought this might be time to buy. oh well.
thanks again

Sony XBR75X850D
Sharp LC-80UQ17U
Sharp 60LE650U
Vizio E600i-B3
the most important reading you might ever do.
http://fredsitelive.com/books/religion/genescott.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 711 Old 02-27-2014, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm pretty sure its a Samsung issue as I've tried to use on to other LG Smart TVs one plasma and one LCD both did the same thing. I wish Samsung would fall in line with everybody else using miracast. Now that I can see that your Motorola and your HTC are working on lg miracast I can't blame LG anymorethanks for the info
post #483 of 711 Old 02-27-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoe316 View Post

Hey, is there a way to factory reset this tv. Not sure whats going on maybe a update or something.
But i usually watch movies from my hard drive and now it freezes alot and the tv just turns it selff off. I know maybe its the hard drive, but sometimes it wont let me into smart tv either.
on another note, it might be my av receiver. Anyone have problems like this.
I need to pinpoint it but not getting far. Please help.

anyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #484 of 711 Old 02-28-2014, 04:44 AM

Liked: 34
Quote:

anyone
There's an "Initialization of App" option on the Settings menu -- I suspect that's not the ticket, but have you given it a try? Another approach, though I wouldn't recommend it, is to fiddle with the service menu:

http://openlgtv.org.ru/wiki/index.php/Access_hidden_service_menus_/_modes

-Matt
CFC likes this.
post #485 of 711 Old 02-28-2014, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:

anyone
just a thought or 2
did you unplug it for a couple of minutes ?
if it was a bad fw update you may have wait till a new one comes out, unless there is a force update option in the settings.
can any fw be had online ? can tv be updated by usb stick ?

disconnect audio receiver.
good luck

Sony XBR75X850D
Sharp LC-80UQ17U
Sharp 60LE650U
Vizio E600i-B3
the most important reading you might ever do.
http://fredsitelive.com/books/religion/genescott.htm
post #486 of 711 Old 02-28-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmadworld View Post

just a thought or 2
did you unplug it for a couple of minutes ?
if it was a bad fw update you may have wait till a new one comes out, unless there is a force update option in the settings.
can any fw be had online ? can tv be updated by usb stick ?

disconnect audio receiver.
good luck
Yep, firmware can be grabbed on the support page: http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-60PN5700#software_panel

However, I think they're currently hosting the previous version. I haven't checked but I would assume it can be installed via USB.

-Matt
post #487 of 711 Old 02-28-2014, 02:14 PM

I just picked up the 5300 (dumb), anyone know how to check what FW version is installed. Thanks.
post #488 of 711 Old 02-28-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtubes View Post

I just picked up the 5300 (dumb), anyone know how to check what FW version is installed. Thanks.
go to settings/ ?/ check updates
post #489 of 711 Old 03-01-2014, 07:07 AM

There is no updates in my menu, maybe because it is dumb.
post #490 of 711 Old 03-01-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtubes View Post

There is no updates in my menu, maybe because it is dumb.

You can also check your firmware version like this: Settings -> ? -> Product/Service Info -> Software Version

Sounds like you only have a manual (USB) update option. Maybe try this...here's the link to the firmware page (which is 03.02.02, dated 5/13) : http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-60PN5300#software_panel

It also includes the update instructions:
Quote:
Step 3. Upgrade TV
a.Make a folder “LG_DTV” on USB drive
b.Save the software in “LG_DTV” folder
c.Insert USB memory drive into USB port on TV
d.Select “Start” if “TV Software Upgrade” Pop-up appears.
e.TV upgrade will start and restart automatically after completed

(Note)
If current software on TV is same with or newer than
that on USB drive, TV Software Upgrade menu won’t be opened.
(Some USB memory devices may not be compatible with TV)

Please wait while the update is copied to TV. ※ Don’t remove USB drive while this message is displayed. ※ Do not unplug TV power cord while this message is displayed. Software upgrade is on progress. ※ Do not unplug TV power cord while this message is displayed. After the upgrade is completed, this message is displayed. TV will restart automatically in 5 sec., then TV is ready to use.

-Matt
post #491 of 711 Old 03-01-2014, 09:17 AM

Liked: 13
Picked a set recently from local MC.
I have a weird issue. It will trip the circuit breaker every time I power the tv with a av receiver. I don't have this issue with my previous LCD tv.

It's a 3-year old house and I think the breaker should have enough juice.
Any idea?
post #492 of 711 Old 03-01-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzy_teck View Post

Picked a set recently from local MC.
I have a weird issue. It will trip the circuit breaker every time I power the tv with a av receiver. I don't have this issue with my previous LCD tv.

It's a 3-year old house and I think the breaker should have enough juice.
Any idea?
Wondering if the TV and AVR are on the same power strip -- can you rotate through a few surge suppressors/strips and see if it continues to misbehave? Kind of a naive impression but the 5700 supposedly draws significantly less power than my 2006 Panasonic, so I'd expect recent models to be kind to power supplies.

Or wait...when you say "with the AV receiver" did you mean the TV is plugged into the back of the AVR? If that's the case I'd forgo the convenience and separate them.

-Matt
post #493 of 711 Old 03-01-2014, 11:13 AM

Hi Matt,
I tried various combinations and have no luck. I used outlets from other room with or without power strips. I guess I have to have a electrician come in some day to check it out.

Thanks for your reply.

- Jay
post #494 of 711 Old 03-01-2014, 03:15 PM

Jay, darn, sorry to hear that. I hope the TV is performing well otherwise!

-Matt
post #495 of 711 Old 03-01-2014, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I wish I could find another one of these TV's now for the bedroom. MC is all oos and I cant find one now less than 950.00 Ive had this TV since 6/7/13 and I absolutely love it.
post #496 of 711 Old 03-02-2014, 06:22 AM

Did a quick calibration. No color meter used.
Picture Mode: Expert1
Panel Light: 100 For Plasma, this setting should be max value;
Contrast: 93 Using Picture Wizard II, this is the middle value between Low and High pattern showing up;
Brightness: 58 Using Picture Wizard II, this is the middle value between Low and High pattern showing up;
H Sharpness: 15 Personal preference
V Sharpness: 15 Personal preference
Color: 49 Using Picture Wizard II, this is the middle value between Low and High pattern showing up;
Tint: G4 Using Picture Wizard II, this is the middle value between Low and High pattern showing up;
Expert Control:
All off except
Color Gamut: Standard
Gamma: 2.4 Personal preference
White Balance:
Color Temperature: Medium
Picture Control:
All off

- Jay
gadgetrants likes this.
post #497 of 711 Old 03-02-2014, 09:40 AM

I just bought one Friday at Microcenter in Westmont., IL. It's a non-advertised price. closeout. $599.99. MC in Westmont had 18 Friday morning. So far I love the set.

But can anyone tell me how to adjust the settings that affect apps like Netflix, Amazon, etc? It looks perfect with my HTPC, but very "hot" with apps.

The Bit Wrangler

Website Development and PC Support

post #498 of 711 Old 03-02-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samgreco View Post

I just bought one Friday at Microcenter in Westmont., IL. It's a non-advertised price. closeout. $599.99. MC in Westmont had 18 Friday morning. So far I love the set.

But can anyone tell me how to adjust the settings that affect apps like Netflix, Amazon, etc? It looks perfect with my HTPC, but very "hot" with apps.

Maybe give this a try?
Quote:

How about this: while playing a video in one of the LG apps, press MY APPS/Q.MENU -> Set Video, and you should see a pretty full array of PQ options. I wasn't able to spot "brightness" per se, but did find pretty much all the usual array of controls. Worked for me in the built-in Amazon, Vudu, and Youtube apps. Admittedly, if you try the AV MODE and SETTINGS buttons you get little or nothing.

-Matt
post #499 of 711 Old 03-02-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0opstlnksal0t View Post

I wish I could find another one of these TV's now for the bedroom. MC is all oos and I cant find one now less than 950.00 Ive had this TV since 6/7/13 and I absolutely love it.
Early (late?) XMAS for you too?....just called Houston/West Loop and they said they have "10+" at $599. smile.gif

-Matt
post #500 of 711 Old 03-02-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:

Maybe give this a try?
-Matt

Missed that one completely. Thanks!

The Bit Wrangler

Website Development and PC Support

post #501 of 711 Old 03-02-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samgreco View Post

Missed that one completely. Thanks!
I think it's a "hidden" feature. wink.gif

-Matt
post #502 of 711 Old 03-02-2014, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i called houston mc and was told it was oos. i went ahead and drove down there and realized they had 34 in stock... i bought 2 more. i dont know where im going to put this 3rd 60" tv at lol
gadgetrants likes this.
post #503 of 711 Old 03-02-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:

You can also check your firmware version like this: Settings -> ? -> Product/Service Info -> Software Version

Sounds like you only have a manual (USB) update option. Maybe try this...here's the link to the firmware page (which is 03.02.02, dated 5/13) : http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-60PN5300#software_panel

It also includes the update instructions:
-Matt

Thank you so much, you are the freaking man... I will try this tonight..
It does it with the AV receiver not even plugged in, I also did the initialize option and nothing.

Thank you everyone for all the help.
post #504 of 711 Old 03-02-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:

Thank you so much, you are the freaking man... I will try this tonight..
It does it with the AV receiver not even plugged in, I also did the initialize option and nothing.

Thank you everyone for all the help.

Super, just remember that link above is for the guy with the 5300 -- don't install the wrong version! eek.gif

-Matt
madmadworld likes this.
post #505 of 711 Old 03-02-2014, 11:38 PM

Has anyone else had any problems with the screen edges to matching up correctly? Mine is messed up on the right side of the TV only, and it happens regardless of what content I display on the TV.

Here is an imgur link to some pictures: http://imgur.com/a/ORf3W

post #506 of 711 Old 03-03-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatk View Post

Has anyone else had any problems with the screen edges to matching up correctly? Mine is messed up on the right side of the TV only, and it happens regardless of what content I display on the TV.

Here is an imgur link to some pictures: http://imgur.com/a/ORf3W

I think I see something similar on mine (right side also), but it's ~3 millimeters wide, and I have to stand 2-3 inches away to see it. I can't quite get a fix on your images (the thumbprint threw me!), but my impression is that yours is about the same size. I'd guess it's normal operation.

-Matt
post #507 of 711 Old 03-03-2014, 12:15 PM

Could it be pixel orbiter?
post #508 of 711 Old 03-03-2014, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0opstlnksal0t View Post

I wish I could find another one of these TV's now for the bedroom. MC is all out of stock and I can't find one now less than $950.00. I've had this TV since 6/7/13 and I absolutely love it.

Did you actually CALL or go by the Microcenter store? Microcenter has scrubbed all mention of this excellent TV from their website, but many stores still have them in stock at the close out $599 price. A friend of mine just got one when I told him to actually go by the store.

The TV I got in January and my friend just got last week were both manufactured in January 2014. They just happened to be rolling off the assembly line as LG announced their "new" 2014 models, so now Microcenter has this mid-year "2013" model at fire sale prices. eek.gif Also, didn't help that LG named it "wrong". smile.gif

My parents bought the entry-level 60" PN6500 plasma last year, because I did not know about this top-of-the-line 60" PN5700 plasma. LG named it wrong. It's same as the top-of-the line 3D PH6700, except for the 3D. Should have been numbered as PN6600 or something, not lower than the PN6500. rolleyes.gif That caused serious confusion for potential buyers! Also, doesn't help that Amazon and other sites are not listing the correct specs. rolleyes.gif It was a mid-year model that filled the specs gap between the bare bones 60" PN6500 and the high-end 3D, wi-fi, smart apps PH6700. It's EXACTLY the PH6700 -- just with 3D stripped out. Even the smart apps GUI still says "3D Cinema" (even though it's not a 3D TV)

It's one of those very under-the-radar deals. You get THIS killer TV at this price, you are brilliant.

Anyway, I set my parents' PN6500 TV up last summer, and then I set up my PN5700 TV now in January. Both settings should work for this TV, as it's the same panel. For my parents', I used the Expert settings menu. However, when I set up my own PN5700 in January, I chose to go through the "Standard" user settings menu. Just took me longer to tweak it the way I wanted. Six one way, half a dozen another. The only difference is I think the colors on my settings "pop" just a little more than on my parents. Not over-saturated, but just a hair more vibrant. If you like that, use my PN5700 settings. If you don't, then use the settings on my parents' TV (PN6500).

Every time I walk by my TV, I stop and say to myself. THAT looks good. I work in a professional TV environment (for longer than I care to admit), so I know what looks good. wink.gif

SETTINGS FOR LG PN5700

On both my TV and my parents TV I had to veer into the "red" considerably to get proper flesh tones. I really questioned that, but every time I set it back closer to zero, flesh tones did not look natural. Everyone who sees these TVs comments on how good they look, so it's not just me.

LG PN5700

That last setting for TruMotion may be a little controversial. TOO much TruMotion makes movies look like soap opera videotape. So a lot of advanced users just leave it turned off. But in my opinion a little bit really helps with fast action sports events. I set mine to "user" and set de-judder for only "3". Again, many just recommend leaving it off, but this is my choice.

LG PN6500

gadgetrants likes this.

Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.
post #509 of 711 Old 03-03-2014, 12:42 PM

^^^ Thanks, wish I could give you three thumbs up for that post!

-Matt
post #510 of 711 Old 03-03-2014, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
LG is still actively updating this TV.

This morning, received pop up notice of a software update: 05.00.10 Installed it, turned off TV, turned it back on.

Then, went into settings and check marked the "auto update" function. Now it will update without any action on my part.

NOTE: As of right now -- about 5pm ET 03/03/2014 -- the 05.00.10 update is still NOT listed on the LG website. Only the 05.00.03 from 01/29/2014 is listed. But, it's real. cool.gif

Top picture is right before I turned off the TV, after the update had installed.

Bottom picture is after I check marked the box so I will stay current automatically. smile.gif

Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 60 Inch Plasma 60pa550c

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page