OFFICIAL LG 60PN5700 60" Class Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #541 of 709 Old 03-09-2014, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11

I've been searching and reading for a couple of hours..I hate to post without doing at least some research, but I'm stuck.  Before I return this tv, is this a common thing, or easy fix?  I set up the tv this morning, and watched one show, and it seemed there were a bunch of lines running through the screen at times...and then we watched a movie and it seemed to skip and blur quite a bit.  During action scenes it was almost unwatchable.  I mean the picture looks amazing after some slight tweaking, but on almost every change of scene or movement it skips.I hate to take it back since it seemed such a great value, but I've watched two things and it was very difficult.  Thanks for any assistance.

Ninja88 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 709 Old 03-09-2014, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hey hotshotz3, first welcome to the forum and owner's club! We seem to be a fairly happy bunch. Your description of the skip/blur really rang a bell -- you might want to head back to the series of posts started by @dave197nj, who described something similar:

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1476213/official-lg-60pn5700-60-class-thread/200_100#post_24028772
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave197nj View Post

On my tv watching when it switches camera angles/screen views there is a lag/blur in between. Does anyone else get this? is there a setting I need to change? Any help would be great thanks.

PLOT SPOILER: in Dave's case, it looks like it was a case of problematic sources:
Quote:

Just hooked up my new blueray player watched it for a while and it worked fine! The signal from comcast and roku must be inferior and the tv is picking up the imperfections.

-Matt
post #543 of 709 Old 03-09-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetrants View Post

Hey hotshotz3, first welcome to the forum and owner's club! We seem to be a fairly happy bunch. Your description of the skip/blur really rang a bell -- you might want to head back to the series of posts started by @dave197nj, who described something similar:

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1476213/official-lg-60pn5700-60-class-thread/200_100#post_24028772
PLOT SPOILER: in Dave's case, it looks like it was a case of problematic sources:
-Matt

Well thank you for the welcome, and for the assistance.  I literally read at least 10 pages here and reviews on a number of websites, so that's when I caved and asked, so I am going to check out what he said and go from there.  It's so frustrating b/c the picture is amazing otherwise

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #544 of 709 Old 03-09-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:

Just hooked up my new blueray player watched it for a while and it worked fine! The signal from comcast and roku must be inferior and the tv is picking up the imperfections.

Hey Dave, seems I'm experiencing similar problems.  Did yours ever get better with the Comcast box?  Any suggestions for the culprit?  I just tried the netflix app and it seemed to work ok, I didn't notice the lag.  Maybe it's the HD DVR

post #545 of 709 Old 03-10-2014, 12:46 AM

Liked: 12

Hey all, hope everything is going good! Anyways last week I was watching TV and noticed the lip sync was a little off but I didn't really think much of it. Today I was watching Modern Family with my girlfriend and she said "Why are the lips moving slower" lol:o it was very noticeable this time. I believe someone had a similar issue and said it just disappeared after a while? Is there anything I can do or should I just wait it out? 

post #546 of 709 Old 03-10-2014, 06:15 AM

Liked: 16
I went thru the 'lip sync'...or ...audio sync'...on my receiver since signal goes thru it b4 it gets to the tv.

"I'm done with upgrading my HT system...really...simply done...really this time!!"
--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.allanmichael.vpweb.com

http://www.aestheticrealism.org

post #547 of 709 Old 03-10-2014, 09:11 AM

Finally picked this set up yesterday from MC! Missed the boat on the 599 deal, but whatever, 679 is still fine for me. 

First time I went, would only fit in the car flat, and the sales rep INSISTED that it could not be transported like this, even though I'd seen multiple people on here say they'd done it. Anyway, he made me nervous, along with the ridiculous amount of giant potholes in Chicago right now. So I rented a uhaul van for $20 to give me peace of mind and everything went really smoothly. 

TV is GIGANTIC, wow (almost obnoxiously so, lol). In the store it just didn't seem as big because the space is so large, and i did all the measurements and what not but that still didn't prepare me for actual thing in my living room. Setup was a breeze, and immediately had to try some youtube videos. Out of box settings seemed fine to me. I'm astounded by the quality even of youtube, which for some reason i thought would be grainy/not as HD/whatever. Tried some of the settings on here too, but need to fiddle with that more. Also played Resogun on PS4 for a few and thought it looked amazing. Didn't notice any lag either, and it's a relatively twitchy old-school shooter. 

PS4, xbox360 going directly into the HDMI ports, as well as an HDMI to mini DV cord for my macbook (haven't tested yet). 

Watched Catching Fire on blu-ray through PS4. Again, didn't notice any lip-sync lag, picture was ahhhmazing. Maybe I'm just not critical enough, which is perfectly fine for me. I did turn on game made and turned off some other features.

I do plan on running the break-in slides, but obviously want to watch and play some things also. Making sure not to leave any static images on the screen (had to zoom for Hunger Games, was fine). 

So far I'm in love. Good thing I got the TV just in time for the temp to hit 50 for the first time in months ;)

gadgetrants likes this.
post #548 of 709 Old 03-10-2014, 09:57 AM

^^^ This is wonderful news -- $20 on the Uhaul, unless you're a totally cash-strapped college student, is a really good deal! I've seen the 5700 in-store a half-dozen times and I have that same reaction...weird how it looks like a 42" display next to all the other TVs, and yet so much larger when it's at home. Having moved up from a 50" I think it's awesome, though in 4-5 years I someday aspire to try out a 70"! I wonder if the standard will be 4K by then?

Since your set is on your local network, see if you can stream some video from one of your computers (DLNA) or if you have access to an Android device, try casting from youtube. wink.gif You didn't mention if you had a separate AV receiver -- if so, you might want to experiment with that too (e.g., comparing input routes, sound settings, etc.).

-Matt
evrgreenz likes this.
post #549 of 709 Old 03-10-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetrants View Post

^^^ This is wonderful news -- $20 on the Uhaul, unless you're a totally cash-strapped college student, is a really good deal! I've seen the 5700 in-store a half-dozen times and I have that same reaction...weird how it looks like a 42" display next to all the other TVs, and yet so much larger when it's at home. Having moved up from a 50" I think it's awesome, though in 4-5 years I someday aspire to try out a 70"! I wonder if the standard will be 4K by then?

Since your set is on your local network, see if you can stream some video from one of your computers (DLNA) or if you have access to an Android device, try casting from youtube. wink.gif You didn't mention if you had a separate AV receiver -- if so, you might want to experiment with that too (e.g., comparing input routes, sound settings, etc.).

-Matt

It really couldn't have worked out any better (besides the price being 80$ cheaper but hey, uncle sam paid for most of this so whatever). Drove the uhaul a total of 6 miles from the pickup, to MC, to my house, back to uhaul :)

I'm definitely going to try out the DLNA features tonight after work, as well as the wired HDMI to computer. I do not have an Android, but I noticed you can cast from iphone youtube to the TV, which might only work through the xbox. 

I don't have a receiver, so I can't comment on that aspect. I was thinking of buying one, but then hearing the issues with running what through what through the TV, syncing lag, etc., I may go the sound bar route directly though the optical. Minimal connections/middle men seem like it would make everything flow better. And actually, I was suprised with the sound as well. Better than I expected. Again, I do love electronics, but I'm really not very critical when it comes to these sorts of things (if you couldn't tell from my word choice), but I think that's why this TV is perfect for me. 

post #550 of 709 Old 03-10-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja88 View Post

Hey all, hope everything is going good! Anyways last week I was watching TV and noticed the lip sync was a little off but I didn't really think much of it. Today I was watching Modern Family with my girlfriend and she said "Why are the lips moving slower" lol:o  it was very noticeable this time. I believe someone had a similar issue and said it just disappeared after a while? Is there anything I can do or should I just wait it out? 
Had any luck with the lip sync issues? I'm afraid I don't recall anyone commenting that it worked itself out over time -- if anything, I think the solution has typically been things like:

- play with the settings on your AVR if available (like @blowabs mentioned)
- turn off some of the special processing features (e.g., TruMotion)
- try Game Mode
- play with the AV Sync Adjust settings in the Sound menu

Report back if you have any luck!

-Matt
post #551 of 709 Old 03-13-2014, 07:10 AM

Hey Matt,

I think I saw somewhere that you didn't break in your set. Can you (or anyone else) comment on how long you think I should go with "regular" watching (i.e. movies, TV with no static images, etc) before I can safely watch, say, a basketball game or play a video game with a static HUD? I downloaded the smaller set of 20 slides, but haven't really played them at all yet, and the other link of 120 slides didn't work for me. So I'm just trying to break it in watching a variety of things. So far I've only noticed a very small amount of IR that disappears within seconds (every channel has their logo imprint in the corner!) 

This TV is constantly blowing my mind, and I don't even know if I have the ideal settings yet. Best purchase ever :)

post #552 of 709 Old 03-13-2014, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evrgreenz View Post

Hey Matt,

I think I saw somewhere that you didn't break in your set. Can you (or anyone else) comment on how long you think I should go with "regular" watching (i.e. movies, TV with no static images, etc) before I can safely watch, say, a basketball game or play a video game with a static HUD? I downloaded the smaller set of 20 slides, but haven't really played them at all yet, and the other link of 120 slides didn't work for me. So I'm just trying to break it in watching a variety of things. So far I've only noticed a very small amount of IR that disappears within seconds (every channel has their logo imprint in the corner!) 

This TV is constantly blowing my mind, and I don't even know if I have the ideal settings yet. Best purchase ever :)

See post #413 for break in.

See post #510 for settings. wink.gif

_______
Sent from my Nexus 5 (LG-D820)

Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.
post #553 of 709 Old 03-13-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazzMatt View Post

_______

Thanks! Saw both of those...  I figured the break-in thing was for people who are really tedious about their TV. But I have noticed slight image retention when a screen is left on for a few minutes (goes away very quickly). What I'm wondering is if I will be able to watch a full basketball game now (probably have only 15 hrs on the tv), with intermittent commercial/other breaks. Sorry for the redundancy, I have actually been through this entire thread multiple times and get lost.  

I'll have to try out your settings. Right now, I have less brightness, more sharpness...and way less R tint. Makes people look jersey shore orange to me (no offense if anyone is from there!) Everything else is pretty close. 

post #554 of 709 Old 03-13-2014, 05:16 PM

Liked: 17

Just saw the 60PN5300 on sale at the tiger Direct store in Jax, FL for $649...

post #555 of 709 Old 03-15-2014, 10:09 AM

Liked: 10
I bought this set on August of 2013 and recently I notice that when the background is white I can see small rectangular boxes(3 rows/ about 30 boxes per row) in the center lower third of the screen. The boxes have fairly defined edge with a darker grayish color inside them. My question is what the heck is it? Is it burned in? I use the setting posted here and it helps a little bit compare to my previous setting but I can still see it. Has anyone seen this before? I'm wondering if I need to contact lg before my warranty expires.
post #556 of 709 Old 03-15-2014, 07:35 PM

I would, especially if its been going on for a while and you still can't figure what the problem is.  No sense in waiting til the warranty expires before addressing it.

gadgetrants likes this.
post #557 of 709 Old 03-18-2014, 10:09 AM

For anyone who is successfully using an iOS app as a remote for this TV, which app are you using?

Just unpacked and am starting setup. Yeah!
post #558 of 709 Old 03-20-2014, 11:50 AM

Liked: 13
Bugs?
While I was using color meters to calibrate this set, I noticed several issues:
1. I was watching OTA programs to warm up the set. If I switch to HDMI and connect to a blu-ray player without turning off the set first, the readings from my color meters are way off. I have to leave the input to HDMI and turn off/on the set. After that the readings are back to normal.
2. It looks like that the blue luminance control in color manage system has no effect in my set. All other colors' are OK.
post #559 of 709 Old 03-22-2014, 08:18 PM

The 6500 is also only a 50" screen which is much smaller than the 5700 which is a 60", according to your links...

post #560 of 709 Old 03-23-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaTechPC View Post

The 6500 is also only a 50" screen which is much smaller than the 5700 which is a 60", according to your links...
Crap, you're right -- didn't notice it was the 50PN and not the 60PN...my bad!

-Matt
post #561 of 709 Old 03-23-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:

[/SIZE]

_______

Hi ChazzMatt, going try out your settings but have a few questions.

Are these tweak settings after watching normal content for few days or weeks? Or did you tweak to these settings right out of the box?

Should I reduce some settings to watch normal content for few days or so many hours?

Also should I change Picture Mode to something else?

Edit: another question
post #562 of 709 Old 03-23-2014, 05:13 PM

Thanks guys! Went today and it took all of 3 minutes...I really can't believe the already great deal saved me another $90!
post #563 of 709 Old 03-25-2014, 08:39 AM

Thanks to everyone for the great information on this thread. It's been a great help. I got one of these from Microcenter and love it so far.

I know that the rear-facing HDMI port supports ARC, but I was wondering if anyone knows whether the side ones support it.

Thanks!

post #564 of 709 Old 03-25-2014, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi ChazzMatt, going try out your settings but have a few questions.

Are these tweak settings after watching normal content for few days or weeks? Or did you tweak to these settings right out of the box?

Should I reduce some settings to watch normal content for few days or so many hours?

Also should I change Picture Mode to something else?

Edit: another question

Those settings evolved after a couple of weeks. I work in a professional TV environment and after decades of watching calibrated monitors, I can tell if the colors are true or not -- for instance on our network logo or flesh tones of the anchors.

I kept messing with the settings until I was satisfied. But having no calibration equipment, it took a couple of weeks to be satisfied.

For my parents 60" LG 6500 plasma TV last summer, I had my Sony 60" to compare it to. Those settings (on expert mode) came quicker, and are also included in that post. For this 5700 plasma, I didn't have that luxury as I had already given away the Sony.

But I am very pleased with the final settings. Every time I walk by the TV I cast a critical eye. My settings on the 5700 have just a little more color punch than on my parents' 6500. But not too much.

However until I got to that point (being satisfied) I drove my wife crazy. The settings menu was always coming up over the shows we were watching, as I kept tweaking.

______

Another friend got the same TV from microcenter and he used my settings.

The only thing that surprised me on both my tv and my parents, was having to veer into the red so much to negate slight greenish flesh tones which manifested on actors of color. Once that was taken care of, all the other flesh tones also looked great. It's just the slight greenish tint was hard to see on pale Caucasians, but it was there as everything improved with the red shift.

Also on my parents TV, but just a little lesser degree because I probably compensated elsewhere in the expert mode with theirs.

Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.
post #565 of 709 Old 03-26-2014, 06:50 PM

Liked: 13
Finally got a new i1 display pro and recalibrated this set with it. I had a i1 display 2 and the readings from it were way off.

Followings are my settings, give it a try to see if you like it.
expert 1
panel light: 67
contrast: 93
brightness: 64
v/h sharpness: 10/10
color: 48
tint: g3

color gamut: standard
gamma: 2.4

white balance:
color temperature: warm 2
20 point ire
0: -2/0/-2
5: -8/-6/-9
10: -12/-3/-8
15: -9/0/0
20: -5/6/4
25: 4/12/5
30: 0/16/5
35: 5/14/6
40: -2/18/8
45: -3/21/10
50: -1/18/4
55: -2/15/8
60: -8/13/-1
65: -10/17/0
70: -7/16/4
75: -10/13/-8
80: -31/5/-2
85: -14/12/-8
90: 0/29/0
95: -18/4/-9/
100: -5/10/1

color management system
r 0/0/-9
g 6/-4/12
b 3/0/0
c 8/-4/20
m 14/-2/-7
y 3/1/12
VincentFAA and gadgetrants like this.
post #566 of 709 Old 03-26-2014, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireda1a View Post

- length of time for each slide:  30 seconds

- to get slideshow to loop:
    - push "smart" button above the navigation buttons on the remote, then scroll over to the right until you see the USB devices, select the one you have the slides on, then navigate inside folder       to the first slide and play from there
- be sure the images are "stretched" to completely fill the screen.  There should be no bars on the top or sides of the screen; all you should see is one solid color from edge-to-edge.

- set the transition delay to no longer than 10 seconds per image.

Where are these three settings?
- length of time
- loop
- transition delay

Quote:

Those settings evolved after a couple of weeks. I work in a professional TV environment and after decades of watching calibrated monitors, I can tell if the colors are true or not -- for instance on our network logo or flesh tones of the anchors.

I kept messing with the settings until I was satisfied. But having no calibration equipment, it took a couple of weeks to be satisfied.

Thanks, will give your settings a try after running some slides. But haven't figure how to get to loop and set the length and transition delay.

Also the specs show this TV has three USB but I can only find two on the side. Where is the third USB located?
post #567 of 709 Old 03-27-2014, 05:07 PM

Hi the microcenter in Marietta, Ga had five in stock when I picked mines up yesterday. Looks great in my living room

post #568 of 709 Old 03-29-2014, 01:40 PM

Just picked up at Microcenter in Patterson NJ for $599. I saw 15 left.
post #569 of 709 Old 03-29-2014, 09:39 PM

These are incredible TV's for the money!  Quick, snap them up guys!

VincentFAA likes this.
post #570 of 709 Old 03-30-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaTechPC View Post

These are incredible TV's for the money!

Agree MegaTechPC, insanely good price for 60" plasma with better picture quality than I expected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 60 Inch Plasma 60pa550c

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page