Samsung PN60F5300 calibration settings? - Page 48 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 255Likes

post #1411 of 1644 Old 08-17-2015, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli6103 View Post
Anyone know where to download the firmware updates? Samsung does not list this TV on their site anymore.
1006 still the latest ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 1644 Old 08-17-2015, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Yes. It probably took about an hour. Make sure the set is accessible and there is room on the floor to lay it flat. Keep us posted. Michael
Which board or components are causing that left-side pixel problem ?

Could be a circuit or fuse or capacitor or something instead of the entire board being bad. I wonder......
post #1413 of 1644 Old 08-17-2015, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2518 Post(s)
Liked: 2151
It's not a board, it's the screen. They replaced the entire screen on mine; left the boards intact.
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1414 of 1644 Old 08-17-2015, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
It's not a board, it's the screen. They replaced the entire screen on mine; left the boards intact. Michael
Great.....Samsung warranty is for 1 year on anything ? After that, only store warranty or we're on our own, right ?
post #1415 of 1644 Old 08-17-2015, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well I called Samsung on Thurs and by Friday the tech came out and replaced the panel on my TV.
The process couldn't have been easier.
Since it was only him I assisted in the panel swap, it really is a two man job.
The great thing is I don't have to re-calibrate either because as mentioned earlier they use the same circuit boards.
I think the only thing they replace is the power source for the display.
post #1416 of 1644 Old 08-17-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
Great.....Samsung warranty is for 1 year on anything ? After that, only store warranty or we're on our own, right ?
Correct
post #1417 of 1644 Old 08-17-2015, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishsig View Post
Well I called Samsung on Thurs and by Friday the tech came out and replaced the panel on my TV.
The process couldn't have been easier. Since it was only him I assisted in the panel swap, it really is a two man job. The great thing is I don't have to re-calibrate either because as mentioned earlier they use the same circuit boards.I think the only thing they replace is the power source for the display.
Wait...did you get a new PANEL (the glass) or a power source for the panel ?

Did the technician say why a batch of these TV's are having the problem ?
Seems like Samsung was aware of the problem but rather than issue a recall or fix it entirely they are basically servicing them as-called.
post #1418 of 1644 Old 08-17-2015, 11:15 AM

I got a new panel which comes with new glass.
He only replaced one of the boards. I think he mentioned it was the circuit board for the power source. I could be wrong.
I had just come back from a long run in 98 degree weather so I was kind of out of it.
I'll check the invoice when I get home, maybe it will say what board was replaced.
post #1419 of 1644 Old 08-19-2015, 10:27 AM

^ It only mentioned the replacement of the panel on the invoice.
post #1420 of 1644 Old 09-21-2015, 04:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Okay, so I've got a bit of a doozy here. I have my Yamaha A550 hooked up to my Oppo 103 and Samsung F5300. Whenever I switch from a 5.1 track to a 2.0 track, I get these pops and cracks in the right TV speaker.It does this even when the TV speaker is disabled from the TV's menu. It is also disabled in the Yamaha menu. No audio is being sent to the TV, only video. Now if I switch the Oppo from Bitstream to PCM it doesn't do this at all. But my region free player doesn't decode DTS-HD MA or TrueHD in 5.1, so I have to use bitstream on that player. The only thing running to the TV is an HDMI cable from the HDMI Out on the receiver. I hooked a BD player up directly to the TV via HDMI and got no sound with the TV speaker enabled. Yes, I have tower speakers and a proper 5.2 system. Even if the TV volume is all the way down and the TV speakers disabled both in the TV and any output from the receiver to the TV I get the crackle when switching audio tracks or from bitstream to PCM on the Oppo running through the Yamaha. It's within warranty and I contacted Samsung. They said they'd get back to me within 48 hours. I'm guessing there's just a loose wire or bad speaker in the TV? The picture is fine, no problems there. Honestly, if it wasn't for the crackling, I wouldn't even be bothering since I don't even use the TV speakers.
post #1421 of 1644 Old 09-21-2015, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post
Okay, so I've got a bit of a doozy here................... since I don't even use the TV speakers.
I would disconnect the tv speakers... I am sure you already thought of it, and would like a more difect and practical resolution but its a sure fix for any popping now with this or any like issue in future.
post #1422 of 1644 Old 09-21-2015, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3Rman View Post
I would disconnect the tv speakers... I am sure you already thought of it, and would like a more difect and practical resolution but its a sure fix for any popping now with this or any like issue in future.
Disabling the TV speakers in the TV menu doesn't do anything. The crackling and popping when switching between audio tracks is still there. We'll see what Samsung has to say. Perhaps faulty wiring in the right speaker on the TV or the speaker is just blown. Who knows.
post #1423 of 1644 Old 09-21-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post
Disabling the TV speakers in the TV menu doesn't do anything. ......
ya, i know, you already said that.

I said "disconnect" , like take back off tv and remove wires from speakers.
post #1424 of 1644 Old 09-21-2015, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3Rman View Post
ya, i know, you already said that.

I said "disconnect" , like take back off tv and remove wires from speakers.
Oh. Nah, I'm not touching that, especially since it's still in warranty.
post #1425 of 1644 Old 09-21-2015, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So I reconnected a Blu-ray player directly to the TV again today and one of the speakers worked, the right speaker, the one that was crackling. I'm puzzled. It has to be a loose wire or something. If I were to open the back of the TV, would this be a difficult fix?
post #1426 of 1644 Old 09-21-2015, 02:47 PM

I wouldn't think it difficult as long as the connection issue is visible and the issue is reproducible with the TV back off and while its powered up and you can try with a friend or family to wiggle things to see where the issue is. Its pretty basic behind the TV with speakers and wiring. Everything is usually pretty clean and compartmentalized for TV's.

Its is necessary to be very careful when it comes to plastic tabs, buttons, IO panel stuff. This is where you need to be delicate and precise only applying pressure on things when you know for sure they are to come apart and/or go back together in a particular way.

Having a soldering iron and a little experience in soldering will help as the connectors might be soldered and the wiring just long enough for the original run.
post #1427 of 1644 Old 09-21-2015, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

No experience in any of that. I think I'll play it safe and let Samsung figure it out. Thanks for your advice.
post #1428 of 1644 Old 09-23-2015, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Samsung has been excellent thus far. They're ordering new speakers and a new main board that should arrive by the end of the week and it should be fixed by next week. I wonder if I should ask if he can tweak the voltage to get rid of the slight pink tint?
post #1429 of 1644 Old 09-23-2015, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Glad to see this thread still active. My PN60F5300B has still been going strong and not a day goes by that I don't admire the picture quality on this TV. At the same time, watching my toddler twins playing near the TV always gets me a bit anxious since there aren't any other Plasma panels in the market!

The voltage tweaking and potentially the aging of phosphors has really improved the pink-tint issue to the point that I no longer see it in all white scenes/screens even if I am looking for it. It's not completely gone, and sometimes (I think) if the panel is being driven hard or in the higher brightness "Standard" mode, it is a bit more visible. All the same, no one, including me notices it when viewing content on the TV. I think it would probably only pop out a bit when viewing black and white films, but I don't really watch those very often.

I've been too lazy to go back to re-calibrating the TV now that it's been in use for a while. I am however very glad that I did calibrate it as it made a noticeable impact in some areas of picture quality (color pop/saturation, and overall image contrast). Maybe some day when I have some time, I'll re-calibrate and post here with a before and after comparison.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recommended calibration settings for Samsung PN60F5300B
post #1430 of 1644 Old 09-24-2015, 12:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Orion, thanks for your many useful posts. If you have 'tweaked' any of your original settings as the TV has aged, please let us know. Or if you are using a different pre-set more often, let us know that too.

I got my TV in May and am putting on about 80 hours a week, so I have about 1,000 hours or so. Might increase in coming weeks given the NFL season.

I think I may have asked this but with hockey season approaching let me write it down this time: anything I can do (besides switch to DYNAMIC) to increase the whiteness of the hockey rink while watching games ? If anything is going to be set to a high/low level or a setting activated that normally you don't use, I can just use them for the 3 hours that the game is on and then revert back to my normal STANDARD.
post #1431 of 1644 Old 09-24-2015, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
Glad to see this thread still active. My PN60F5300B has still been going strong and not a day goes by that I don't admire the picture quality on this TV. At the same time, watching my toddler twins playing near the TV always gets me a bit anxious since there aren't any other Plasma panels in the market!

The voltage tweaking and potentially the aging of phosphors has really improved the pink-tint issue to the point that I no longer see it in all white scenes/screens even if I am looking for it. It's not completely gone, and sometimes (I think) if the panel is being driven hard or in the higher brightness "Standard" mode, it is a bit more visible. All the same, no one, including me notices it when viewing content on the TV. I think it would probably only pop out a bit when viewing black and white films, but I don't really watch those very often.

I've been too lazy to go back to re-calibrating the TV now that it's been in use for a while. I am however very glad that I did calibrate it as it made a noticeable impact in some areas of picture quality (color pop/saturation, and overall image contrast). Maybe some day when I have some time, I'll re-calibrate and post here with a before and after comparison.

Can you tweak the voltage yourself to fix the pink tint issue? Mine is pretty bad and is really annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1432 of 1644 Old 09-24-2015, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
Orion, thanks for your many useful posts. If you have 'tweaked' any of your original settings as the TV has aged, please let us know. Or if you are using a different pre-set more often, let us know that too.

I got my TV in May and am putting on about 80 hours a week, so I have about 1,000 hours or so. Might increase in coming weeks given the NFL season.

I think I may have asked this but with hockey season approaching let me write it down this time: anything I can do (besides switch to DYNAMIC) to increase the whiteness of the hockey rink while watching games ? If anything is going to be set to a high/low level or a setting activated that normally you don't use, I can just use them for the 3 hours that the game is on and then revert back to my normal STANDARD.
Nope, no real tweaks beyond what I have in my sig. Just been enjoying the fantastic picture quality ever since then . Unfortunately, there isn't too much you can do for hockey to make it brighter. Use Standard instead of Movie mode for added brightness. Dynamic might be brighter but would likely look crappier. This is one of the few situations where the F8500 would definitely outshine the F5300. I typically can control lighting in my living room when viewing TV, so for me, the F5300 never seems too dim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli6103 View Post
Can you tweak the voltage yourself to fix the pink tint issue? Mine is pretty bad and is really annoying.
Hi there, you can read through this thread where I posted all the tweaks I made and some good discussions with other forum members. I also posted a detailed step by step with pictures of the board and the potentiometers, etc that I tweaked
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-pl...dumb-idea.html

Just be careful when doing this because you can get electrocuted even when the TV is unplugged due to the capacitors storing charge in the circuits, so you need to be cautious when working on the panel. A voltmeter would be ideal, but you could wing it by doing a couple of anti-clockwise rotations on the Vs potentiometer to see if it improves the red-tint. Keep in mind that this is not a drastic fix...so if you have strong red/pink-tint this will not alleviate it completely but may help reduce the effect. My first panel had a very strong red tint so I had to return it for my current one which was quite a bit fainter. The voltage tweaks subsequently made it even more faint and now after many months I barely ever notice it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recommended calibration settings for Samsung PN60F5300B
post #1433 of 1644 Old 09-24-2015, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
Unfortunately, there isn't too much you can do for hockey to make it brighter. Use Standard instead of Movie mode for added brightness. Dynamic might be brighter but would likely look crappier. This is one of the few situations where the F8500 would definitely outshine the F5300. I typically can control lighting in my living room when viewing TV, so for me, the F5300 never seems too dim.
Hey, don't get me wrong....I LOVED watching the NHL on my 720p for 8 years and the 60" 5300B was a big leap up from the 50" and 42" Philips models I had. I never noticed the fact that the ice wasn't 'bright white' until I watched the same game from the Vizio E-Series and could tell how much brighter it was on our 70" LCD.
post #1434 of 1644 Old 09-29-2015, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As this seems to have become the "official" 5300/5350 thread, I have a question for all you fellow owners.

I have a 5350 from Costco and recently upgraded my receiver to a Denon with ARC. I was hoping to use it since the receiver has no component inputs so we have our Wii connected directly to the tv and would like to pass the sound back to the receiver this way. That said, I don't see any documentation showing the 5350 as having ARC on either of it's HDMI inputs and it does not seem to work when I try it. I am using the optical output right now, but was wondering if this TV just does not have it, or if something else is going on (like an incompatible HDMI cable, etc).

thanks!
post #1435 of 1644 Old 09-29-2015, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Audio Return Channel?

As this seems to have become the "official" 5300/5350 thread, I have a question for all you fellow owners.

I have a 5350 from Costco and recently upgraded my receiver to a Denon with ARC. I was hoping to use it since the receiver has no component inputs so we have our Wii connected directly to the tv and would like to pass the sound back to the receiver this way. That said, I don't see any documentation showing the 5350 as having ARC on either of it's HDMI inputs and it does not seem to work when I try it. I am using the optical output right now, but was wondering if this TV just does not have it, or if something else is going on (like an incompatible HDMI cable, etc).

thanks!
post #1436 of 1644 Old 09-29-2015, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieRockSteve View Post
As this seems to have become the "official" 5300/5350 thread, I have a question for all you fellow owners. I have a 5350 from Costco and recently upgraded my receiver to a Denon with ARC. I was hoping to use it since the receiver has no component inputs so we have our Wii connected directly to the tv and would like to pass the sound back to the receiver this way. That said, I don't see any documentation showing the 5350 as having ARC on either of it's HDMI inputs and it does not seem to work when I try it. I am using the optical output right now, but was wondering if this TV just does not have it, or if something else is going on (like an incompatible HDMI cable, etc).thanks!
Could be...I went out and bought a soundbar because there was no mic to attach my wireless headphones.
post #1437 of 1644 Old 09-29-2015, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieRockSteve View Post

thanks!
The 5300 doesn't have ARC. When we had a Wii, I connected the audio to a soundbar and the video to TV.
post #1438 of 1644 Old 09-29-2015, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Samsung contacted me today and said that there is only one technician in the area and he is too far away to come out and repair. They've offered my either an exchange or a complete refund. I'm not sure what the list of options are for the exchange, but they're likely not going to come close to the F5300's PQ. And a refund leaves me having to purchase an LED. The crackling and popping as subsided as far as I can tell, so I think I'll just keep it, but I went ahead and told them to call me when they have the list of exchange options just to see what they offer. Any suggestions?
post #1439 of 1644 Old 09-29-2015, 02:01 PM

snip...snip...
post #1440 of 1644 Old 09-29-2015, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member