Samsung PN60F5300 calibration settings? - Page 53 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 255Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1561 of 1644 Old 11-30-2015, 08:05 PM
Senior Member
 
W3Rman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossbaker14 View Post
lol @ me... dk where i got osiris from... its orion..
Fireteam Osiris of the UNSC - Halo 5 Guardians
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Halo-5-Characters-Fireteam-Osiris.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1091970   Click image for larger version

Name:	H5-Guardians-Campaign-Battle-Of-Sunaion-Osiris-Alpha-jpg.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	550.1 KB
ID:	1092026  
rossbaker14 likes this.

Last edited by W3Rman; 12-01-2015 at 12:34 PM.
W3Rman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1562 of 1644 Old 12-14-2015, 02:37 PM
Member
 
Oblio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: State College PA
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Samsung PN60F5300 10 point white balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by will7046 View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by signmastr 

Will, still plan on calibrating your "buddies" PN60F5300 in the near future?

I will be doing it this weekend. I will be traveling over the weekend, so I will post the settings early next week.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Will,
I have a Samsung PN60F5300BFXZA which is exhibiting uneven luminosity and color balance when displaying a white background screen as is found in many commercials these days.

I followed your calibration recommendations but cannot gain access to the 10 point white balance function on my set... it is listed along with the 2 point but it says function not available when I try to enter that mode.

Is there an operational option that needs to be set that enables the 10 point white balance?

Thanks for your help!
Oblio

"If you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra
Oblio is offline  
post #1563 of 1644 Old 12-14-2015, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PhilipsPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 3,808
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblio View Post
I followed your calibration recommendations but cannot gain access to the 10 point white balance function on my set... it is listed along with the 2 point but it says function not available when I try to enter that mode. Is there an operational option that needs to be set that enables the 10 point white balance? Thanks for your help!Oblio
Can you access the 2-point function ?

Not an expert on this, but if you can't access that one, must be a Setting you changed that is blocking access.
PhilipsPhanatic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1564 of 1644 Old 12-14-2015, 06:14 PM
Senior Member
 
W3Rman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblio View Post
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Will,
I have a Samsung PN60F5300BFXZA which is exhibiting uneven luminosity and color balance when displaying a white background screen as is found in many commercials these days.

I followed your calibration recommendations but cannot gain access to the 10 point white balance function on my set... it is listed along with the 2 point but it says function not available when I try to enter that mode.

Is there an operational option that needs to be set that enables the 10 point white balance?

Thanks for your help!
Oblio
Picture Mode = "Movie"

try this!
W3Rman is offline  
post #1565 of 1644 Old 12-15-2015, 12:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PhilipsPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 3,808
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by W3Rman View Post
Picture Mode = "Movie" try this!
Yup, that works, great catch !!

Why is that so ? Why do they only let you access the 2-point (but not the 10-point) when NOT in MOVIE ? Is it because the default settings for STANDARD and DYNAMIC are such that it wouldn't pay to touch the 10-point in those modes ?

Last edited by PhilipsPhanatic; 12-15-2015 at 11:50 AM.
PhilipsPhanatic is offline  
post #1566 of 1644 Old 12-15-2015, 05:33 AM
Member
 
Oblio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: State College PA
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
Yup, that works, great catch !!

Why is that so ? Why do they only let you access the 10-point (but not the 2-point) when in MOVIE ? Is it because the default settings for STANDARD and DYNAMIC are such that it wouldn't pay to touch the 10-point in those modes ?
I was set for standard mode, and was able to do the 2 point white balance which helped a little.
Will try the movie mode tonite.

Is there a resource somewhere these control setting are detailed and explained?

Thanks !
Oblio

"If you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra
Oblio is offline  
post #1567 of 1644 Old 12-15-2015, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 10,015
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2520 Post(s)
Liked: 2152
No, but I can give you this:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-pl...t-they-do.html
Michael
PhilipsPhanatic likes this.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
LastButNotLeast is offline  
post #1568 of 1644 Old 12-15-2015, 07:30 AM
Member
 
Oblio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: State College PA
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
No, but I can give you this:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-pl...t-they-do.html
Michael
Thanks Michael !

"If you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra
Oblio is offline  
post #1569 of 1644 Old 12-15-2015, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PhilipsPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 3,808
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I got confused above.....when NOT in MOVIE, you can access 2 but not 10-point.

As others have written, to access BOTH, you must be in MOVIE mode.
PhilipsPhanatic is offline  
post #1570 of 1644 Old 12-27-2015, 11:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PhilipsPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 3,808
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Picture Size/Format Tidbit: Not sure it's been talked about, but apparently the 5300 "remembers" 2 different Picture Sizes.

I have mine set to 16:9 for regular HDTV but for SDTV it switches to the ZOOM-1 setting automatically. Then when I go back to HDTV, it's back to 16:9.

So feel free to use 2 settings on HDTV and SDTV. I do not think it will remember 2 settings for HDTV, if you even wanted that.
PhilipsPhanatic is offline  
post #1571 of 1644 Old 12-28-2015, 04:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 389
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
Picture Size/Format Tidbit: Not sure it's been talked about, but apparently the 5300 "remembers" 2 different Picture Sizes.

I have mine set to 16:9 for regular HDTV but for SDTV it switches to the ZOOM-1 setting automatically. Then when I go back to HDTV, it's back to 16:9.

So feel free to use 2 settings on HDTV and SDTV. I do not think it will remember 2 settings for HDTV, if you even wanted that.
it will remember your setting per your source, ie. 1080i, 720p and 480i can all have different aspect ratio set/remembered.
Michael Vincent Praino is offline  
post #1572 of 1644 Old 01-22-2016, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PhilipsPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 3,808
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Vincent Praino View Post
it will remember your setting per your source, ie. 1080i, 720p and 480i can all have different aspect ratio set/remembered.
Yes, I noticed, thanks MVP. I am using WIDE 1 to watch CNBC with or without the Eco Sensor reducing brightness to reduce the risk of additional IR/BI. It remembers it, and the 720p and 480i stations also remember their format settings, too.
PhilipsPhanatic is offline  
post #1573 of 1644 Old 01-22-2016, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
orion2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 741
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblio View Post
I was set for standard mode, and was able to do the 2 point white balance which helped a little.
Will try the movie mode tonite.

Is there a resource somewhere these control setting are detailed and explained?

Thanks !
Oblio
I know this is late, but just wanted to give you fair warning... Will's calibration settings are going to make things look horrible on your set. His settings were for the A spec panels released a year before they were refreshed as the B spec versions (which you own). You can go by the calibration settings in the post in my sig. They are a pretty good starting point for the B spec panel.
cr671 likes this.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recommended calibration settings for Samsung PN60F5300B
orion2001 is offline  
post #1574 of 1644 Old 01-22-2016, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PhilipsPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 3,808
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
I know this is late, but just wanted to give you fair warning... Will's calibration settings are going to make things look horrible on your set. His settings were for the A spec panels released a year before they were refreshed as the B spec versions (which you own). You can go by the calibration settings in the post in my sig. They are a pretty good starting point for the B spec panel.
I used yours as my guide, Orion. Still use them except for employing the Energy Savings to avoid more IR/BI.

Wow...did the A vs. B panel really make that big a difference in the settings ? Horrible ? I could see not as sharp but surprised that bad.
PhilipsPhanatic is offline  
post #1575 of 1644 Old 01-23-2016, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
orion2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 741
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
I used yours as my guide, Orion. Still use them except for employing the Energy Savings to avoid more IR/BI.

Wow...did the A vs. B panel really make that big a difference in the settings ? Horrible ? I could see not as sharp but surprised that bad.
I tried Will's settings when I first got my panel and it looked absolutely terrible. Washed out colors, super high sharpness, etc. That's not to say that the A panel is that bad compared to the B, just that the panels are different, so the calibrated settings for the A panel while looking good on the A panels, looks really bad on the B panels.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recommended calibration settings for Samsung PN60F5300B
orion2001 is offline  
post #1576 of 1644 Old 01-23-2016, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PhilipsPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 3,808
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Eco Sensor Tidbit: Besides remembering different Picture Formats for different HDTV/SDTV signals, the 5300's Eco Sensor can be set to each of the 3 Picture Settings: Standard, Movie, and Dynamic.
PhilipsPhanatic is offline  
post #1577 of 1644 Old 01-26-2016, 07:32 AM
Member
 
Oblio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: State College PA
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
I know this is late, but just wanted to give you fair warning... Will's calibration settings are going to make things look horrible on your set. His settings were for the A spec panels released a year before they were refreshed as the B spec versions (which you own). You can go by the calibration settings in the post in my sig. They are a pretty good starting point for the B spec panel.
Thanks Orion,
I am stuck trying to figure out how to solve my key problem which seems to be the white level color balance at various levels of white. What does that mean exactly... on different "white screens" meaning different commercials or hockey or snow scenes using a predominately "white" screen background, the color balance of the white varies. Most commonly the center 50-60% of the screen has a grey/green tinge and the top and bottom 20-30% a light pinkish tinge.
BUT... not always and not on every white screen commercial. It seems to be related to how strongly the white is driven by the video signal. I brought this to Samsung's attention under warranty at 6mos usage and they dismissed it as "Burn In" (which it is not) and stated that burn in is not covered.

I believe the 10 point white level/balance might fix the inconsistencies of white color balance but I have not been able to find anything that describes how the 10 point adjustment works or how to set it properly. I'm not one for diving in headfirst without having some basis for knowing what I'm getting into.

"If you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra
Oblio is offline  
post #1578 of 1644 Old 01-26-2016, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
orion2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 741
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblio View Post
Thanks Orion,
I am stuck trying to figure out how to solve my key problem which seems to be the white level color balance at various levels of white. What does that mean exactly... on different "white screens" meaning different commercials or hockey or snow scenes using a predominately "white" screen background, the color balance of the white varies. Most commonly the center 50-60% of the screen has a grey/green tinge and the top and bottom 20-30% a light pinkish tinge.
BUT... not always and not on every white screen commercial. It seems to be related to how strongly the white is driven by the video signal. I brought this to Samsung's attention under warranty at 6mos usage and they dismissed it as "Burn In" (which it is not) and stated that burn in is not covered.

I believe the 10 point white level/balance might fix the inconsistencies of white color balance but I have not been able to find anything that describes how the 10 point adjustment works or how to set it properly. I'm not one for diving in headfirst without having some basis for knowing what I'm getting into.
Hi Oblio. Unfortunately, there is very little one can do with fixing the variable white balance on full white screens across the panel. The pentile panels on this plasma are prone to non-uniformity in whites, especially with the infamous pink tint issue (most panels have this to varying extents on the bottom most section of the screen). 10 point WB won't do anything for screen non-uniformity. That only allows you to tweak the white balance for different gray levels (10% through to 100% - White). The only thing worth trying is opening up the back of your panel and playing with the potentiometers and lowering a couple of voltages (you have to be very careful when doing so as there are some pretty big capacitors in the back of the panel and you risk shorting things and electrocuting yourself.

I did do this on my panel and got some slight gain in reduced red tint by dropping down my panel Vs voltage. You can find info on this in this thread if you want to try:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-pl...l#post25997146

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recommended calibration settings for Samsung PN60F5300B
orion2001 is offline  
post #1579 of 1644 Old 01-26-2016, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PhilipsPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 3,808
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblio View Post
I am stuck trying to figure out how to solve my key problem which seems to be the white level color balance at various levels of white. What does that mean exactly... on different "white screens" meaning different commercials or hockey or snow scenes using a predominately "white" screen background, the color balance of the white varies. Most commonly the center 50-60% of the screen has a grey/green tinge and the top and bottom 20-30% a light pinkish tinge.
I would think if you got the color/white right on an ice rink for an NHL game that would be an indication you got the white-balance right, no ?

Quote:
I believe the 10 point white level/balance might fix the inconsistencies of white color balance but I have not been able to find anything that describes how the 10 point adjustment works or how to set it properly. I'm not one for diving in headfirst without having some basis for knowing what I'm getting into.
I'm out of my element here but as I understand it....from earlier posts back-and-forth on general calibration...it is IMPOSSIBLE to have the TV properly calibrated for one channel or type of viewing and then have it optimal for another, right ? IOTW, if you have it perfectly balanced for NHL or sports, it won't be like that for NetFlix stuff.

In your case -- with whites -- assuming it's not the input signal, you might just have to live with different scenes appearing slightly different (though I don't think the color tinge on white you described above is normal). But I do think that a piece of white paper showing up on Fox should look the same as one on CBS.

There's a tradeoff and the bottom line is calibrating colors/whites/blacks for one type of viewing will throw it off for another. No way to get it perfect for sports and old movies and HDTV stuff and NetFlix, etc. Maybe the Picture Presets -- Standard, Movie, Dynamic -- can help, I'm not sure.

Last edited by PhilipsPhanatic; 01-27-2016 at 01:06 AM.
PhilipsPhanatic is offline  
post #1580 of 1644 Old 01-26-2016, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 15,074
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3451 Post(s)
Liked: 2508
A true calibration requires the use of a light meter and software. Every tv has different component tolerances so the idea of calibrating a tv is to adjust the particular panel's component tolerances to a reference standard. Using someone else's settings is generally frowned upon because you won't be calibrating your tv, no matter how well it looks. All you'll be doing is adjusting your tv to someone else's, even if they actually calibrated theirs. Calibrating, or even adjusting the individual sources, can be a nightmare because the source quality can vary considerably from program to program. Most just calibrate via a blu-ray player because video fidelity is more important to them for movies than cable/sat televisoni. The blu-ray player needs to be set at default settings so that no artificial processing is going on to affect the signal path and the tv also has to have all artificial processing disabled as well. Some have had luck transferring the calibrated settings to another source input but that depends on how accurate your tv comes from the factory which again, is dependent on how close the component tolerances were to "perfect".
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #1581 of 1644 Old 01-26-2016, 12:03 PM
Member
 
Oblio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: State College PA
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
Hi Oblio. Unfortunately, there is very little one can do with fixing the variable white balance on full white screens across the panel. The pentile panels on this plasma are prone to non-uniformity in whites, especially with the infamous pink tint issue (most panels have this to varying extents on the bottom most section of the screen). 10 point WB won't do anything for screen non-uniformity. That only allows you to tweak the white balance for different gray levels (10% through to 100% - White). The only thing worth trying is opening up the back of your panel and playing with the potentiometers and lowering a couple of voltages (you have to be very careful when doing so as there are some pretty big capacitors in the back of the panel and you risk shorting things and electrocuting yourself.

I did do this on my panel and got some slight gain in reduced red tint by dropping down my panel Vs voltage. You can find info on this in this thread if you want to try:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-pl...l#post25997146
Thanks Orion,
I am actually very comfortable with electronics and high voltage, but did not want to go inside the set until I have verified that what I am seeing is not due to tweaking settings.
I understood the 10 point white balance was for fine tuning at ten individual grey scale levels, I figured possibly the "white" image was actually a variety of grey scale areas across the screen and therefor tuning and balancing the color for each greyscale level might bring the overall full screen into uniform balance at all greyscale levels.

I had not been able to find any solid info on the problem and the tech Samsung sent me to look at the screen seemed not to know very much at all. Pretty shocking to me actually.
Your comments are the most significant info I have come close to yet on the problem and it's source.
Is there a place I can find schematics for the set, setup and test voltage reference info to hardware setup?

"If you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra
Oblio is offline  
post #1582 of 1644 Old 01-26-2016, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
orion2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 741
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
A true calibration requires the use of a light meter and software. Every tv has different component tolerances so the idea of calibrating a tv is to adjust the particular panel's component tolerances to a reference standard. Using someone else's settings is generally frowned upon because you won't be calibrating your tv, no matter how well it looks. All you'll be doing is adjusting your tv to someone else's, even if they actually calibrated theirs. Calibrating, or even adjusting the individual sources, can be a nightmare because the source quality can vary considerably from program to program. Most just calibrate via a blu-ray player because video fidelity is more important to them for movies than cable/sat televisoni. The blu-ray player needs to be set at default settings so that no artificial processing is going on to affect the signal path and the tv also has to have all artificial processing disabled as well. Some have had luck transferring the calibrated settings to another source input but that depends on how accurate your tv comes from the factory which again, is dependent on how close the component tolerances were to "perfect".
This of course is very correct and true, but the reason this discussion got restarted was that people end up trying someone's calibration settings from essentially a completely different TV (the A panels) on their newer B panels since Will's settings are the original ones at the start of this thread. This makes the resulting image orders of magnitude worse than if you simply copied someone else's calibration settings for the exact same TV model.

I personally own a colorimeter and have calibrated 2 of these B spec panels (I returned the first one) and their calibrations were very close. My previous Panny also had copied settings from those posted by a Pro calibrator here (I didn't own a colorimeter back then). While I'm sure my set wasn't "calibrated", it was still much better and closer to a calibrated look than the default settings that the TV ships with. It's only been much more recently that a lot of TVs have been shipping with Movie modes that are somewhat remotely in the ballpark of being near "calibrated"

While I know that the practice of copying settings is frowned upon by many here, in the absence of having a colorimeter to perform your own calibration, I see no harm in other people trying calibration settings and sticking with them if they subjectively find the picture quality to be more pleasing. Copying basic settings at the very least will get you much closer to a decent Gamma and turn off a lot of gimmicks that degrade picture quality. That's why I break down my calibration settings (in my sig) into the simple stuff that everyone can try, and hide the more detailed stuff like 10 point white balance settings that are almost certainly going to be different across different sets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblio View Post
Thanks Orion,
I am actually very comfortable with electronics and high voltage, but did not want to go inside the set until I have verified that what I am seeing is not due to tweaking settings.
I understood the 10 point white balance was for fine tuning at ten individual grey scale levels, I figured possibly the "white" image was actually a variety of grey scale areas across the screen and therefor tuning and balancing the color for each greyscale level might bring the overall full screen into uniform balance at all greyscale levels.

I had not been able to find any solid info on the problem and the tech Samsung sent me to look at the screen seemed not to know very much at all. Pretty shocking to me actually.
Your comments are the most significant info I have come close to yet on the problem and it's source.
Is there a place I can find schematics for the set, setup and test voltage reference info to hardware setup?
If you look through the pictures I posted in the post I linked to, one of them has a Red and Green circle that I drew in the image highlighting one of the potentiometers and test points (TP on board). You will find similar ones for the main voltages that can be tweaked and should also find a test point for Ground once you open up the back panel.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recommended calibration settings for Samsung PN60F5300B
orion2001 is offline  
post #1583 of 1644 Old 01-26-2016, 01:01 PM
Member
 
Oblio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: State College PA
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
This of course is very correct and true, but the reason this discussion got restarted was that people end up trying someone's calibration settings from essentially a completely different TV (the A panels) on their newer B panels since Will's settings are the original ones at the start of this thread...

...If you look through the pictures I posted in the post I linked to, one of them has a Red and Green circle that I drew in the image highlighting one of the potentiometers and test points (TP on board). You will find similar ones for the main voltages that can be tweaked and should also find a test point for Ground once you open up the back panel.
I'm curious- what are the differences between the A and B series panels?

Do the voltages described Vs, Va, Ve drive the rail voltages for the the three individual plasma phosphors as in Red Green Blue ?

Do they control those colors for the entire panel?

"If you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra
Oblio is offline  
post #1584 of 1644 Old 01-26-2016, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
orion2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 741
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblio View Post
I'm curious- what are the differences between the A and B series panels?

Do the voltages described Vs, Va, Ve drive the rail voltages for the the three individual plasma phosphors as in Red Green Blue ?

Do they control those colors for the entire panel?
Unfortunately, those aren't color specific. I believe Vs stands for Vscan. I don't recall the specifics of the different voltages but if you search the forums, there are some informative posts on what those voltages do (primarily in the black level tweaking threads for Samsung and LG plasmas).

In most plasma panels, red tint/non-uniformity was typically fixed by increaseing Vscan as the red tint was a result of undischarged Plasma IIRC. On this panel though, I found that lowering the voltage produced a marginally reduced red-tint on the panel.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recommended calibration settings for Samsung PN60F5300B
orion2001 is offline  
post #1585 of 1644 Old 01-26-2016, 01:33 PM
Member
 
Oblio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: State College PA
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
In most plasma panels, red tint/non-uniformity was typically fixed by increasing Vscan as the red tint was a result of undischarged Plasma IIRC. On this panel though, I found that lowering the voltage produced a marginally reduced red-tint on the panel.
Probably not significant, but I'm curious... what is "undischarged Plasma IIRC" ?

I did a little Googling of the term but nothing I saw really made much sense relative to plasma TVs

"If you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra
Oblio is offline  
post #1586 of 1644 Old 01-26-2016, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
orion2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 741
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblio View Post
Probably not significant, but I'm curious... what is "undischarged Plasma IIRC" ?

I did a little Googling of the term but nothing I saw really made much sense relative to plasma TVs
IIRC = If I Recall Correctly :-)

I really wouldn't be the right person to answer the other question. As I understand it, if the voltages are too low, then the plasma cells may not be saturating and producing the requisite amount of UV light which in turn excites the phosphors. This can lead to overall non-uniformities visible across the screen. In older panels, increasing one of the voltages would alleviate this issue, ensuring all panels were saturating and producing the same amount of visible light. Unfortunately, increasing Vs on this panel did not resolve the issue, but instead, resulted in a stronger red-tint.

PS - This thread may have some more information: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-pl...er-blacks.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recommended calibration settings for Samsung PN60F5300B
orion2001 is offline  
post #1587 of 1644 Old 01-26-2016, 01:54 PM
Member
 
Oblio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: State College PA
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblio View Post
Probably not significant, but I'm curious... what is "undischarged Plasma IIRC" ?

I did a little Googling of the term but nothing I saw really made much sense relative to plasma TVs
LOL - You got me !
I had no clue what that meant (IIRC) but it was popping up in people's posts across an extremely wide range of discussion topics... now that makes sense.

Thanks for your guidance and sharing... I'll do some targeted reading and see where it leads me.

It is my belief that there is nothing significantly "wrong" with my TV but rather it's not setup / calibrated properly.
This is because at times the same areas of the screen that is off white greenish/grey hue in some commercials appear very white and balanced in others.

"If you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra
Oblio is offline  
post #1588 of 1644 Old 01-26-2016, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
orion2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 741
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblio View Post
It is my belief that there is nothing significantly "wrong" with my TV but rather it's not setup / calibrated properly.
This is because at times the same areas of the screen that is off white greenish/grey hue in some commercials appear very white and balanced in others.
So there are a few things to consider:

1) These plasma panels have ABL (Auto brightness limiter) so if a full white screen/commercial is displayed, the overall luminance of the white decreases so the overall power draw of the panel doesn't exceed specification. This means that the "whiteness" of a commercial/scene can change based on how much of the scene contains white or a very light/bright color.

2) The non-uniform color tint on whites (reddish in some areas and a bit greenish in others) is not consistent at all times on this panel. I've noticed (and others have corroborated this) that when the panel is being driven hard or for long, this issue can seem worse. Other times, the same full white screen or scene can look great with practically no discernible gradation in tint.

Unfortunately, neither of these 2 things can be compensated via calibration and are just inherent to the panel.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recommended calibration settings for Samsung PN60F5300B
orion2001 is offline  
post #1589 of 1644 Old 01-27-2016, 01:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PhilipsPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 3,808
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
While I know that the practice of copying settings is frowned upon by many here, in the absence of having a colorimeter to perform your own calibration, I see no harm in other people trying calibration settings and sticking with them if they subjectively find the picture quality to be more pleasing. Copying basic settings at the very least will get you much closer to a decent Gamma and turn off a lot of gimmicks that degrade picture quality. That's why I break down my calibration settings (in my sig) into the simple stuff that everyone can try, and hide the more detailed stuff like 10 point white balance settings that are almost certainly going to be different across different sets.
Bingo Orion....for a novice like me, your post said it all and it's why I did borrow your settings.

Speaking of gimmicks, it seems like NOBODY uses the Dynamic and other adjustment settings that the HDTVs have -- Dynamic Contrast, Motion Lighting, etc. Virtually every calibration result posting says to have them set to OFF.

So my question is....why do the manufacturers give them to us in the first place ? I'd rather have more Presets besides the 3 I have on my 5300. I've turned a few ON or run through the LOW-MED-MAX settings....the changes in contrast/black/etc. are very minor.

Are they a way to get background changes without going into the intricate stuff that you don't post like the 2- and 10-point things ?
PhilipsPhanatic is offline  
post #1590 of 1644 Old 01-27-2016, 07:11 AM
Member
 
Oblio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: State College PA
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
So there are a few things to consider:

1) These plasma panels have ABL (Auto brightness limiter) so if a full white screen/commercial is displayed, the overall luminance of the white decreases so the overall power draw of the panel doesn't exceed specification. This means that the "whiteness" of a commercial/scene can change based on how much of the scene contains white or a very light/bright color.

2) The non-uniform color tint on whites (reddish in some areas and a bit greenish in others) is not consistent at all times on this panel. I've noticed (and others have corroborated this) that when the panel is being driven hard or for long, this issue can seem worse. Other times, the same full white screen or scene can look great with practically no discernible gradation in tint.

Unfortunately, neither of these 2 things can be compensated via calibration and are just inherent to the panel.

OK - that explanation makes some sense I suppose...
I figured that brightness manipulation would have been disabled by my turning off the "eco mode".

So then, the variance in "white" color uniformity is driven by the luminosity/brightness control (which curiously is called contrast). That brings a bunch of thoughts into my head on working around the problem.

Before I do anything are there existing threads on this ABL (Auto brightness limiter) effect?
Later Edit: I have found a large amount of information both here and elsewhere on this... now reading.
Thanks

"If you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

Last edited by Oblio; 01-27-2016 at 07:46 AM.
Oblio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn60f5300 60 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off