Please review my setup before I finalize the purchases - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-23-2013, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

The wife and I currently have basic cable and do most of our watching on free TV and movie sites on the internet via the laptop. We want to upgrade and overhaul everything although we'll still probably do most of our viewing via streaming as we're usually too busy to watch a lot of live TV.

I've been researching options and this is what I've come up with. I value your comments. This will go into a 25'x15' room and the recliners will be about 12' from the TV in the center of the room, leaving around 15' or so behind the recliners for the rear most speakers. I'll have to mount the surrounds and rear surrounds on mounts hanging from the ceiling.

Panasonic TC-P65VT60

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BC4SN9S/ref=asc_df_B00BC4SN9S2844447?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=cnet-ce-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B00BC4SN9S

Onkyo HT-S9400

http://www.accessories4less.com/index.php?page=item&id=ONKHTS9400&extra=a%3A2%3A{i%3A0%3Bs%3A40%3A%2203823345592a403b2f4a37a59384e7ab28f02be1%22%3Bi%3A1%3BN%3B}

Sony BDP-S5100

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AWKC0JM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Logitech Harmony 650

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Remote-Control-Silver/dp/B004OVECU0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385263217&sr=8-1&keywords=harmony+650

Tilting wall mount:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NMFCIA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1YX7EB80E4EIU

Ceiling mounts:

http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Deluxe-Speaker-Brackets-Ceilings/dp/B001QNBUA4/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1385263604&sr=1-2&keywords=ceiling+speaker+mounts

I'll also add 2 3' cables and 1 6' HDMI cable and buy an additional 100' of 14AWG speaker wire from Monoprice.

Is there anything I should add or change? Does this look pretty complete?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-23-2013, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
Yes that is a very nice setup, but probably over kill for what types of video you are using.

You may want to rethink your VT60 and look at LCD/LED displays. The reason is static images for TV broadcasts, plus streaming is probably not going to give you the HQ of a Blu Ray disc, but still may be a slight improvement in PQ for what you are viewing.

I have a 65VT60 and other than the fact its hard to calibrate to bring out the best it can be, I really enjoy it. But I mainly use Blu Ray disc's in a controlled lighting environment.

ss
sheshechic likes this.

"Don't worry be happy"
LG77C8, Klein K10-A, Jeti 1211, CMS Lightspace, Calman home plus licence for K10-A, Murideo 6G.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-23-2013, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Yes that is a very nice setup, but probably over kill for what types of video you are using.

You may want to rethink your VT60 and look at LCD/LED displays. The reason is static images for TV broadcasts, plus streaming is probably not going to give you the HQ of a Blu Ray disc, but still may be a slight improvement in PQ for what you are viewing.

I have a 65VT60 and other than the fact its hard to calibrate to bring out the best it can be, I really enjoy it. But I mainly use Blu Ray disc's in a controlled lighting environment.

ss

Sillysally, thanks for the reply.

We currently only have basic cable, but I'll upgrade to an HD DVR or at least an HD cable box once I invest in the nice equipment.

Also, I'll get a Netflix and/or Hulu Plus account(s) when I upgrade as well since the content will be so readily available with the smart TV and Blu-ray.

We'll do most of our viewing at night since we're at work/gym all day so the room will be dark. We also have blinds on all of the windows in case we're watching something on the weekend when the sun is out.

Given this information, would you switch to an LCD/LED display? Is there anything else you'd change?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-23-2013, 10:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1486 Post(s)
Liked: 1476
You have some fine chosen equipment there, based on your room environment, I would definitely would go for the VT60 or save some money and get the ST60 and upgrade your speakers or get a Logitech harmony one remote instead. You also must watch HD content to truly appreciate these TV's.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
post #5 of 12 Old 11-23-2013, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

I was under the impression that those Onkyo speakers were the cream of the crop under $1k or so. Which would you recommend instead of them? I know the wife would appreciate smaller surrounds.

A $350 remote control blows my mind, but I'll look into the Harmony One. It's not that I'm cheap, but I do appreciate good value.

post #6 of 12 Old 11-23-2013, 10:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisgUGA View Post

I was under the impression that those Onkyo speakers were the cream of the crop under $1k or so. Which would you recommend instead of them? I know the wife would appreciate smaller surrounds.

A $350 remote control blows my mind, but I'll look into the Harmony One. It's not that I'm cheap, but I do appreciate good value.

Oh there is nothing wrong with the Onkyo speakers, it's just there are better ones out there but if you prefer the satellite sizes than that's perfect for your setup. Also the Harmony one is nowhere near $350 , you can get it for $200 or cheaper if you look for a deal. It is a much better remote.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
post #7 of 12 Old 11-23-2013, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Which speakers do you recommend?

I don't mind floor standing speakers near the TV. In fact, I like the idea. I just can't mount anything much larger than those Onkyos from the ceiling for the surrounds without annoying the wife. I certainly like big sound.

post #8 of 12 Old 11-24-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
Quote:

Sillysally, thanks for the reply.

We currently only have basic cable, but I'll upgrade to an HD DVR or at least an HD cable box once I invest in the nice equipment.

Also, I'll get a Netflix and/or Hulu Plus account(s) when I upgrade as well since the content will be so readily available with the smart TV and Blu-ray.

We'll do most of our viewing at night since we're at work/gym all day so the room will be dark. We also have blinds on all of the windows in case we're watching something on the weekend when the sun is out.

Given this information, would you switch to an LCD/LED display? Is there anything else you'd change?

Get the 65VT60, just be careful with static images, things like TV logos. However the VT60's have whats called screen wipe, if you do start to see some IR you can just leave the screen wipe on overnight.
btw you don't need to sit a dark room to view the VT60, its fairly bright. But controlled lighting (no direct sunlight) is always the best.

ss
Cuda1169 likes this.

"Don't worry be happy"
LG77C8, Klein K10-A, Jeti 1211, CMS Lightspace, Calman home plus licence for K10-A, Murideo 6G.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-24-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Which speakers do you recommend?

I don't mind floor standing speakers near the TV. In fact, I like the idea. I just can't mount anything much larger than those Onkyos from the ceiling for the surrounds without annoying the wife. I certainly like big sound.

These sound outstanding. Just an example http://www.klipsch.com/rf-52-ii-floorstanding-speaker

post #10 of 12 Old 11-24-2013, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

I love the look of those. Of course, the Onkyo HTiB refurbished comes at $600 which includes the receiver, sub, and 7 speakers.

The Klipsch will come in at $700 just for the two floor standing speakers. I'd still have to buy the receiver, sub, surrounds, center channel, etc. I have no doubt the Klipsch setup sounds better, but I'm really wanting to stay in a budget because I'm also buying all new living room furniture and I also recently bought a Porsche which is costing several thousand more than I expected in maintenance right off the bat. lol

post #11 of 12 Old 11-24-2013, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I love the look of those. Of course, the Onkyo HTiB refurbished comes at $600 which includes the receiver, sub, and 7 speakers.

The Klipsch will come in at $700 just for the two floor standing speakers. I'd still have to buy the receiver, sub, surrounds, center channel, etc. I have no doubt the Klipsch setup sounds better, but I'm really wanting to stay in a budget because I'm also buying all new living room furniture and I also recently bought a Porsche which is costing several thousand more than I expected in maintenance right off the bat. lol

Than what you already had in mind is a very good choice. Regardless, your setup will not only look Top notch but I'm sure it will sound as well. Post some pictures of your setup when you are all done. wink.gif

post #12 of 12 Old 11-24-2013, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

I went ahead and purchased everything on my list except the TV. I figure I'll wait to see if that goes on sale for Black Friday.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Onkyo Ht S9400thx 7 1 Channel Network A V Receiver Speaker Package , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Logitech Harmony 650 Remote Silver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page