Samsung PN51F5300 â?? What a little gem! - i1Pro Calibration results inside - Page 59 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 201Likes

post #1741 of 2013 Old 05-20-2015, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Well I thought I was getting an open boxed B model but it turns out it was an A. I had to drive down to Culver City to pick it just to find out the idiots had mislabeled it.
Oh well seems like al the store demo or open box models left are all 2013 and the sellers on EBay have jacked up the price of 2014 models to $900-950. It's messed up if you ask me. Guess I might be stuck with ths A model I picked up for just over $500. It still has a nice picture with good colors. I just don't know how much of a difference I am missing. I mean people can say the B has better Blacks and contrast levels but enough to pay through the nose for it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 2013 Old 05-20-2015, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1130 View Post
Well I thought I was getting an open boxed B model but it turns out it was an A. I had to drive down to Culver City to pick it just to find out the idiots had mislabeled it.
Best Buy still has "B" Models...I got mine on Friday. I'm in the NY area but they may have them nationally.
post #1743 of 2013 Old 05-20-2015, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1731
You must have gotten very lucky. Best Buy has been out of them for some time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1744 of 2013 Old 05-20-2015, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
You must have gotten very lucky. Best Buy has been out of them for some time.
They had a few left...it came up as an "A" model on the computerized invoice they printed for me at the store but it was the "B" model. And if your salesman does the standard computer check to see if it's in stock, it might not come up.

Punched in the actual model number from a floor model....it showed.

Looked for it off the Best Buy website....didn't show.

I half-expected him to tell me after about 10 minutes of finagling the invoice and S&H charges (none) that it was sold-out and was gonna curse under my breath. But no, it was in....and I got the "B"....and the Saturday delivery 18 hours later.

Basically, it's a dated model, they have very few of them left, so if you go to BB have them check and double-check and maybe even call to confirm. But there's a GOOD CHANCE they have them even if their 1st look punches up "SOLD OUT."

BTW, I ordered mine at 2 PM on a Friday and it was delivered 8 AM the next day Saturday !!!
post #1745 of 2013 Old 05-21-2015, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
They had a few left...it came up as an "A" model on the computerized invoice they printed for me at the store but it was the "B" model. And if your salesman does the standard computer check to see if it's in stock, it might not come up.

Punched in the actual model number from a floor model....it showed.

Looked for it off the Best Buy website....didn't show.

I half-expected him to tell me after about 10 minutes of finagling the invoice and S&H charges (none) that it was sold-out and was gonna curse under my breath. But no, it was in....and I got the "B"....and the Saturday delivery 18 hours later.

Basically, it's a dated model, they have very few of them left, so if you go to BB have them check and double-check and maybe even call to confirm. But there's a GOOD CHANCE they have them even if their 1st look punches up "SOLD OUT."

BTW, I ordered mine at 2 PM on a Friday and it was delivered 8 AM the next day Saturday !!!
Well you got a 60 inch one. I do not think any 51's are out there . I know after the Culver City fiasco I called several stores that had the open box listed on the clearance part of Best Buys website. These were all listed as B models but they are all coming up A models.

With Sears they have a nimber of them across the country but it's store pickup only. They are listed as A models and that's what they are.
I picked up an A model from Sears a floor model with only 320 hours on it. Though I really want the B model and they have a liberal return policy. So if I could find A B model for a reasonable price and not eh scalping thats going on at Buydigg and Adorama with $900-950 pricing.
post #1746 of 2013 Old 05-21-2015, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Well you got a 60 inch one. I do not think any 51's are out there . I know after the Culver City fiasco I called several stores that had the open box listed on the clearance part of Best Buys website. These were all listed as B models but they are all coming up A models.

With Sears they have a nimber of them across the country but it's store pickup only. They are listed as A models and that's what they are.
I picked up an A model from Sears a floor model with only 320 hours on it. Though I really want the B model and they have a liberal return policy. So if I could find A B model for a reasonable price and not eh scalping thats going on at Buydigg and Adorama with $900-950 pricing.
There are (or were last week) some new 51" ones on ebay but they're almost $1000. Want me to look for the link?
post #1747 of 2013 Old 05-21-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzycat View Post
There are (or were last week) some new 51" ones on ebay but they're almost $1000. Want me to look for the link?
No I have seen those that is the scalping I am talking about. These TV's retailed new at $700 MSRP. Even though there are only a few left its crazy that these retailers are jacking up the prices. Buydigg is the worst offender because they basically just went and jacked up their price in early May. I was going to buy one when they had them listed for $599 and within a day they pushed it up to $900.

Now I don't know about you but I don't think the TV is worth 1k for $300-500 more you could find an 8500 they are actually some of those in stores still.

I mean it's a absolutely crazy to pay pretty much twice what I got my A model for.
post #1748 of 2013 Old 05-21-2015, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I mean it's a absolutely crazy to pay pretty much twice what I got my A model for.
Honestly, even though the calibration experts can certainly say there's a big difference I think the non-Pentile "A" display is probably going to be fine for most people's eyes. You simply probably won't be able to tell the difference between "A" and "B" models during normal viewing.

Would you go with a 60" ?
post #1749 of 2013 Old 05-21-2015, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
No I have seen those that is the scalping I am talking about. These TV's retailed new at $700 MSRP. Even though there are only a few left its crazy that these retailers are jacking up the prices. Buydigg is the worst offender because they basically just went and jacked up their price in early May. I was going to buy one when they had them listed for $599 and within a day they pushed it up to $900.

Now I don't know about you but I don't think the TV is worth 1k for $300-500 more you could find an 8500 they are actually some of those in stores still.

No, I wouldn't pay that for one. I got lucky and found a 2013 Panasonic s60 with only 117 hours on it. I'm going to look at it/pick it up tomorrow. (I was supposed to go on Tuesday but something occurred that made it impossible for me to go then.) I think I'm very fortunate, and it's only $400. If that falls through I'll probably just get an lcd, maybe a 4k. Although there were a few LG 50" 6650s for $700 left at one place last week. I suppose that's at least a little more reasonable. There are still a couple of 60" plasmas (LG and samsung) in stores here as well, but they're display models, so no telling how many hours they have on them. And the pink tint on the samsung really drives me nuts.
post #1750 of 2013 Old 05-22-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
Honestly, even though the calibration experts can certainly say there's a big difference I think the non-Pentile "A" display is probably going to be fine for most people's eyes. You simply probably won't be able to tell the difference between "A" and "B" models during normal viewing.

Would you go with a 60" ?
60 is too large for the room. I am pretty much close to giving up. I paid $565 out he door for my open box A model that had 320 hours on it. It looks nice and has a very picture and I have done calibration tweaks per this thread.

If I had not know I probably would have been happy with it . I am a sound engineer though and we tend to get real geeky about striving for the best for our money.

I have been in offer counter offer with an EBay seller of a B model NIB and he has currently countered with $875'after I offered $600 it does include free shipping. I think my limit to pay for a new one in the box though would be $675. Seeing as if I had bought one local for the regular prices of say 4-5 months ago it with tax it probably would have come out around $650. That would be $110'moremthan my A model and I could return the A model as I have only had it 27 days and Sears outlet has a 45 day return policy in place.

Last edited by Dave1130; 05-22-2015 at 07:48 PM.
post #1751 of 2013 Old 05-26-2015, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

After you enter the Service Menu....how do you exit without having to turn off the TV and then put it back on ?
post #1752 of 2013 Old 05-26-2015, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That's the only way.
post #1753 of 2013 Old 05-27-2015, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Dave I would not worry. I have the A and the blacks get better as time goes by. I love the blacks on mine. I did run color slides for the first month. I think the blacks and colors are fantastic. I got mine Dec 2013. What are your settings? I think the last update on Samsung US is (Firmware) ver.1027.2. If not can someone post the newest one and what is does?

Last edited by afterlife2; 05-27-2015 at 08:44 AM.
post #1754 of 2013 Old 05-27-2015, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
60 is too large for the room. I am pretty much close to giving up. I paid $565 out he door for my open box A model that had 320 hours on it. It looks nice and has a very picture and I have done calibration tweaks per this thread.

If I had not know I probably would have been happy with it . I am a sound engineer though and we tend to get real geeky about striving for the best for our money.

I have been in offer counter offer with an EBay seller of a B model NIB and he has currently countered with $875'after I offered $600 it does include free shipping. I think my limit to pay for a new one in the box though would be $675. Seeing as if I had bought one local for the regular prices of say 4-5 months ago it with tax it probably would have come out around $650. That would be $110'moremthan my A model and I could return the A model as I have only had it 27 days and Sears outlet has a 45 day return policy in place.
One of the Best Buy stores near me was closing down. I picked up an open box PN51F5300BFXZA for $350+tax in April. It did not have a stand so I had to call Samsung to get a stand ($84). It is in my bedroom. Pretty happy. The 60" (Model B) is now on sale at another Best Buy for - I believe - $549. It is not open box. Brand new. Probably one of the last remaining.
post #1755 of 2013 Old 05-27-2015, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post
Dave I would not worry. I have the A and the blacks get better as time goes by. I love the blacks on mine. I did run color slides for the first month. I think the blacks and colors are fantastic. I got mine Dec 2013. What are your settings? I think the last update on Samsung US is (Firmware) ver.1027.2. If not can someone post the newest one and what is does?
How do blacks get blacker over time ? Never heard of that when I was doing research years ago.

I have Software 1006 on mine for the 60" 5300B.....should I update later ?
post #1756 of 2013 Old 05-27-2015, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is anybody using headphones with the 5300 ? There's no damn mic jack and even my new Vizio soundbar can't hook up to (wireless) headphones.

I never heard of not being able to use headphones with a TV.

Unreal.
post #1757 of 2013 Old 05-27-2015, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's the only way.
Thanks SB....I didn't change channels and didn't wait around to see if it went away. In the future I'll check it when I am about to turn off the set anyway so I don't have to do a quick power ON/OFF.
post #1758 of 2013 Old 05-27-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Ya the picture is nice. The Firmware is 1003 which supposedly is B Model Firmware according to people in this thread. My settings are
In Dynamic
Cell light 20

Contrast 90

Brightness 45
Sharpness 20
Color 50
Tint GR G50 R50

In standard
Cell light 20
Contrast 100
Brightness 49
Sharpness 0
Color 50
50/50 tint GR
Advance settings
dynamic contrast off
Black tone off
Flesh tone 0
rGb mode off
Color space custom

Red 35
Green 14
Blue 18
White balance
R offset 23
G offset 25"
B offset 8
R gain 23
G gain 29
BGain 13

Gamma -2

Motion light off

Color tone standard digital clean view auto
MPEG noise filter auto
Film mode auto2
Black optimizer auto

Movie
Cell light 20
Contrast 85
Brightness 45
Sharpness 20
Color 50
Tint gr 50/50

Warm 1
All other settings same as standard

Honestly the picture is great with the tweaks I have in Dynamic mode colors just jump and skin tones look natural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitbabu View Post
One of the Best Buy stores near me was closing down. I picked up an open box PN51F5300BFXZA for $350+tax in April. It did not have a stand so I had to call Samsung to get a stand ($84). It is in my bedroom. Pretty happy. The 60" (Model B) is now on sale at another Best Buy for - I believe - $549. It is not open box. Brand new. Probably one of the last remaining.
Those are some great prices all the local best buys that had open boxes around me in SoCal had A versions that were pretty abused.
Sears outlet had A versions as well which all had a fair amount of hours on them. I opted for the one I have now because it had 700 less hours than the next best and was only $130 more.
They are pretty much non existent around here now .
EBay seems to be the last bastion for any one around here that wants one and of course the sellers there are scalping hard.

Last edited by Dave1130; 05-27-2015 at 06:51 PM.
post #1759 of 2013 Old 05-27-2015, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They are pretty much non existent around here now. EBay seems to be the last bastion for any one around here that wants one and of course the sellers there are scalping hard.
I hope some of them get caught speculating...they're just gouging with some of the quotes I have seen.

I prefer plasma, too, but with OLED/4K coming down and with a few more $$$ getting you a bigger LED LCD, it's not like the alternatives are like 3-4 years ago. There are good options if you can't or won't pay up for the remaining plasmas.
post #1760 of 2013 Old 05-28-2015, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Final update on my broken unit. As I reported here a month or so ago, my 60" broke two months after purchase from Best Buy. Specifically, the unit died, I heard a buzzing sound and smelled burning. I also noticed a hairline crack in the upper right-hand corner. Dealing with Samsung was frustrating, but I finally got a satisfactory result.

After the set broke, I called Samsung immediately, and they set up a service call to my house. The technician came out, took some pictures and left. He came back a few days later and tried to replace the screen. Unfortunately, this did not repair the unit. The tech said that the replacement part was defective. I suspect that there were more problems internal to the set. He put the original screen back in my set, whereupon the small crack became a very large crack.

Here is where the frustration set it. I called Samsung again, and asked for the set to be replaced instead of repaired. I got shuffled around from one CS rep to the next, they allegedly escalated my case, but I couldn't get an answer for a long time. Eventually, Samsung contracted with an independent repair center who picked up my tv and brought it back to their shop. It sat there for about 10 days waiting for Samsung's instructions. I called Samsung repeatedly and was told that they were still evaluating whether to try to repair or replace.

Finally, my wife got ahold a corporate executive from Samsung with whom she was connected on LinkedIn. The executive intervened on our behalf. The final resolution: the independent repair shop returned the tv to my house, I am to bring it back to Best Buy, and Samsung authorized a Best Buy store credit in the amount of the purchase.

So, in the end, I got a satisfactory resolution. Too bad it took over a month to resolve.

Now I am looking for a new tv. I am a little sour on buying another Samsung Any suggestions?
BFJ 96 likes this.
post #1761 of 2013 Old 05-28-2015, 09:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Where did the original crack come from ? You didn't notice it upon purchase ?

I love my 60" 5300 but can understand why you'd be a bit hesitant to try another. Still, the odds on getting 2 bad ones back-to-back weigh in your favor.

LG 6600 was my backup choice to the 5300.
post #1762 of 2013 Old 05-29-2015, 01:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Keep in mind the 60" is different than the 51".
post #1763 of 2013 Old 05-29-2015, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Dave and Members! These are mine(51' 5300A model, but could work on B) if you all wanna try it. I used THX Calibration settings from The Incredibles DVD and this article helped alot and took the green(Tint) off the face and helped with (Color) bleeding colors: http://www.homecinemaguru.com/checki...-your-display/

Dynamic(HMDI 1 and 2 Bluray Player/Roku)
Cell light 20
Contrast 92
Brightness 45
Sharpness 40
Color 24
Tint GR G45 R55
Cool Tone Cool
DCV off
Mpeg Noise off
HMDI Black Level Low
Black Optimizer Auto

and

Standard(TV station with outside antenna. No cable waste of money. )
Cell light 20
Contrast 92
Brightness 43
Sharpness 40
Color 31
45/55 tint GR
Advance settings
Dynamic Contrast Low
Black tone Dark
Flesh tone 0
rGb mode off
Color space custom

Red 49
Green 23
Blue 15
White balance
R offset 18
G offset 25
B offset 24
R gain 18
G gain 25
BGain 23

Gamma -1
Motion light off

Cool Tone Cool
DCV off
Mpeg Noise off
HMDI Black Level Low
Film Mode Off
Black Optimizer Auto

I love the pic quality and blacks look amazing and I hope I helped.

post #1764 of 2013 Old 05-29-2015, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Keep in mind the 60" is different than the 51".
Right, the 60" has the Pentile display which if you are watching from up-close could be a problem.

But from 7-8' or more, should not be a factor.

Why do you think they 'cheated' and used the Pentile on the 60" when they didn't use it on the smaller model ? Save money and make the 60" more price competitive ?
post #1765 of 2013 Old 05-30-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Dave and Members! These are mine(51' 5300A model, but could work on B) if you all wanna try it. I used THX Calibration settings from The Incredibles DVD and this article helped alot and took the green(Tint) off the face and helped with (Color) bleeding colors: http://www.homecinemaguru.com/checki...-your-display/

Dynamic(HMDI 1 and 2 Bluray Player/Roku)
Cell light 20
Contrast 92
Brightness 45
Sharpness 40
Color 24
Tint GR G45 R55
Cool Tone Cool
DCV off
Mpeg Noise off
HMDI Black Level Low
Black Optimizer Auto

and

Standard(TV station with outside antenna. No cable waste of money.

I love the pic quality and blacks look amazing and I hope I helped.
Tried your tweaks it looks good but for some reason a couple of things are listed but greyed out. I have a feeling it's a software issue. I think I am going to have to take a USB stick and download the latest software for mine.
I am still warming up to your settings the blacks are just amazing though. I actually upped the color on Dynamic from your setting of 24 to 35 the Reds were not popping at all. Now they are perfect, greens and blues as well.
Watching Indy cars in Detriot while doing this.
I already had been noticing the amazing blacks before your tweaks. It is interesting that for the most part I am preferring cool to standard over Warm 1 or 2.

I think I am just going to settle into keeping this A version. It looks nice and it just seems to be to much hassle to get a B version at a reasonable price.
Plus in another three years I could easily get an OLED as their prices are starting to plummet.

Sears is offering a two year extended warranty for $100 with full replacement value and in home technician matinence included on a regular basis.

Last edited by Dave1130; 05-30-2015 at 02:38 PM.
post #1766 of 2013 Old 05-30-2015, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Settings such as Cinema Smooth are only selectable when 24p video is sent to the TV. So it depends what the source is.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Polk LSiM 702 F/X (2) | Infinity RS152 (4) | Subs TBD (2)
PC: Micca OriGen G2 | Mackie MR624 (2)

Last edited by Soulburner; 05-30-2015 at 07:07 PM.
post #1767 of 2013 Old 05-30-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Settings such as Cinema Smooth are only selectable when 24p video is sent to the TV. Do it depends on what the source is.
Ah that makes sense. Ya I am doing these tweaks off an HDMI Direct TV feed. None the less a great picture.
post #1768 of 2013 Old 05-30-2015, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Settings such as Cinema Smooth are only selectable when 24p video is sent to the TV. So it depends what the source is.
That would only be Blu-Ray, right ? I played a Blu-Ray cartoon the other night and it was 24p.

What does Cinema Smooth do and where do I find it ? Don't recall seeing it when going through the settings.
post #1769 of 2013 Old 05-30-2015, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Film Mode: Cinema Smooth

It puts the panel into a 96Hz refresh mode, reducing judder (96 is an even multiple of 24). I prefer it.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Polk LSiM 702 F/X (2) | Infinity RS152 (4) | Subs TBD (2)
PC: Micca OriGen G2 | Mackie MR624 (2)
post #1770 of 2013 Old 05-30-2015, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Film Mode: Cinema Smooth

It puts the panel into a 96Hz refresh mode, reducing judder (96 is an even multiple of 24). I prefer it.
When would you use it -- film movie channels, Blu-Ray/DVDs....sports ?

What do I look for to see the differrence ?

I found this which explained it a bit:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/judder_24p.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f5300 51 Inch Plasma Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page