Samsung PN51F5300 â?? What a little gem! - i1Pro Calibration results inside - Page 60 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 201Likes

post #1771 of 2013 Old 05-30-2015, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1773
When you turn it on, it's only on for 24p content, and it's greyed out for everything else. I would try it and see what you think.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Polk LSiM 702 F/X (2) | Infinity RS152 (4) | Subs TBD (2)
PC: Micca OriGen G2 | Mackie MR624 (2)

Last edited by Soulburner; 05-31-2015 at 05:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1772 of 2013 Old 05-31-2015, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1130 View Post
Tried your tweaks it looks good but for some reason a couple of things are listed but greyed out. I have a feeling it's a software issue. I think I am going to have to take a USB stick and download the latest software for mine.
I am still warming up to your settings the blacks are just amazing though. I actually upped the color on Dynamic from your setting of 24 to 35 the Reds were not popping at all. Now they are perfect, greens and blues as well.
Watching Indy cars in Detriot while doing this.
I already had been noticing the amazing blacks before your tweaks. It is interesting that for the most part I am preferring cool to standard over Warm 1 or 2.

I think I am just going to settle into keeping this A version. It looks nice and it just seems to be to much hassle to get a B version at a reasonable price.
Plus in another three years I could easily get an OLED as their prices are starting to plummet.

Sears is offering a two year extended warranty for $100 with full replacement value and in home technician matinence included on a regular basis.
THANKS GLAD YOU LIKE MY SETTINGS. IT TOOK A WHILE TO GET IT RIGHT. YEAH MAYBE THE FIRMWARE WILL HELP. WHICH ONES WERE GREYED OUT? THAT COLOR SETTING IS HIGH UNLESS YOUR EYES ARE ALREADY USED TO IT?

post #1773 of 2013 Old 05-31-2015, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
When you turn it on, it's only on for 24p content, and it's greyed out for everything else. I would try it and see what you think.
So only Blu-Rays or DVD movies will be affected, right ? Everything on the TV is broadcast in 60i or 60p, even movie channels like AMC or TCM are upconverted or whatever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1774 of 2013 Old 05-31-2015, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post
THANKS GLAD YOU LIKE MY SETTINGS. IT TOOK A WHILE TO GET IT RIGHT. YEAH MAYBE THE FIRMWARE WILL HELP. WHICH ONES WERE GREYED OUT? THAT COLOR SETTING IS HIGH UNLESS YOUR EYES ARE ALREADY USED TO IT?
10 p white balance in standard, HDMI black level on all of them.

I was used to the vibrant colors on my old Panasonic. Seriously before your tweaks I was running a higher color setting and a lot of the other calibration tweaks in this thread do run higher color settings. After your tweaks indeed I was able to dial back the color levels and still get pop when I set it at 35. They just looked real flat at your setting of 24.
post #1775 of 2013 Old 06-01-2015, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:

I was used to the vibrant colors on my old Panasonic. Seriously before your tweaks I was running a higher color setting and a lot of the other calibration tweaks in this thread do run higher color settings. After your tweaks indeed I was able to dial back the color levels and still get pop when I set it at 35. They just looked real flat at your setting of 24.
Maybe it's the source you are using like cable TV. What are the colors on bluray movies? Make sure you take pics of your setting before you do the firmware upgrade.

post #1776 of 2013 Old 06-04-2015, 09:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What is this 2 pt. and 10 pt. white thing....I saw the choices while scrolling through the Setup but had no idea what they were for and didn't dare touch them.
post #1777 of 2013 Old 06-04-2015, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You know what I miss on the HDTV's of recent and last decade's vintage ? There is no ALARM to turn the TV on in the morning, so you wake to the TV turning on.

The last generation of CRT's in the 1990's had this feature. I loved it. None of my HDTVs has had this feature. I would think it would be easy to include it in the programming/software.
post #1778 of 2013 Old 06-04-2015, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
What is this 2 pt. and 10 pt. white thing....I saw the choices while scrolling through the Setup but had no idea what they were for and didn't dare touch them.
White Balance is calibrated with a colorimeter and software. It's up to you whether the investment is something you want to make.
post #1779 of 2013 Old 06-04-2015, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

If you use a Blu-ray setup disc like S&M, WoW, etc, you'll find that the setting of 50 achieves the correct color in Movie Mode. 35 is going to be *way* off when looking at the chroma/hue test pattern.
post #1780 of 2013 Old 06-05-2015, 01:28 AM

Quote:
If you use a Blu-ray setup disc like S&M, WoW, etc, you'll find that the setting of 50 achieves the correct color in Movie Mode. 35 is going to be *way* off when looking at the chroma/hue test pattern.
I actually have it set to 5O in Movie mode. It's set to 35 in standard and Dynamic.
post #1781 of 2013 Old 06-05-2015, 03:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

A or B?

In Standard it should be 44 for the B model. Not sure about the A model. If skin is too red, you can try the Skin Tone setting also.
post #1782 of 2013 Old 06-05-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
A or B?

In Standard it should be 44 for the B model. Not sure about the A model. If skin is too red, you can try the Skin Tone setting also.
A model, I actually brought the color back up to 45 in Dynamic and Standard. I don't feel skin is too red. My GR is 45/55. Per the A panel users above calibration. He was the one that recommended a 24 on the color on standard and dynamic which I found to be rather flat sorta washed out looking.
I am a big fan of vibrant color as that is part of what Plasma's are known for besides great Blacks.
It's especially been known to be Panasonics strong suit. I am finding this Samsung has nice colors as well.
I actually have to say I am really liking the picture with the settings I have in Dynamic for broadcast stuff i.e. Over the air, cable, Satallite.
I have yet to do the DVD Blu Ray thing.

Most of my tweaks have been per recommendations in this thread.
post #1783 of 2013 Old 06-07-2015, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You know what I miss on the HDTV's of recent and last decade's vintage ? There is no ALARM to turn the TV on in the morning, so you wake to the TV turning on. The last generation of CRT's in the 1990's had this feature. I loved it. None of my HDTVs has had this feature. I would think it would be easy to include it in the programming/software.
Happy Correction....the 5300 DOES have a timer -- actually, it has 3 -- which can be accessed from MENU/SYSTEM/TIME. You can not only tell the TV when to turn on, but also OFF. Useful if you are away and want the TV to turn on late at night to create the appearance someone is home.

I will try the feature tomorrow morning and report back.
post #1784 of 2013 Old 06-10-2015, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have the 51" set (B version) and I also have a Panasonic S60 plasma TV.

To be honest, I prefer the Samsung one. I want to give my Panasonic to my mother, but only if I can't find another PN51F5300!

Where can I get one? I know it is out of productions, but I can't find a single unit on the Internet. Well, only Amazon, but it is a third party seller and he is asking $1500 for it.
post #1785 of 2013 Old 06-10-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoRocker View Post
I have the 51" set (B version) and I also have a Panasonic S60 plasma TV.

To be honest, I prefer the Samsung one. I want to give my Panasonic to my mother, but only if I can't find another PN51F5300!

Where can I get one? I know it is out of productions, but I can't find a single unit on the Internet. Well, only Amazon, but it is a third party seller and he is asking $1500 for it.
The only places I have seen B versions they are asking $950. To me honestly that's not worth it. There are still a few 60 inch 8500's floating around going for a couple hundred more.
I got my A version for $565 out the door from Sears floor model with only 320 hours on it.
I looked high and low in California for a B model and just could not find one. Best buy and Sears seemed to only have A version floor models. It was kinda weird.

At this point I have resigned myself to the A model but honestly the picture is still great and the black levels are pretty awesome.
Remember when this thread was started the majority of people had bought A models and we're still blown away how great they were for the money.
afterlife2 likes this.
post #1786 of 2013 Old 06-10-2015, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have the "B" but for $600 I would buy an "A" today if that was all that was left. If anybody is hesitating, don't.

Buy it !!!
post #1787 of 2013 Old 06-13-2015, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Every day since the 30-day-return policy I have regretted buying the 60" 5300. I don't know if it is my panel but the black levels are garbage. I can't remember but the first 4 days I've had this TV I absolutely loved it and was blown away on how Blacks were actually Blacks but then I got some sort of flickering when displaying black images/dark scenes and after that I haven't been happy at all and should have just returned it then. I've already submitted a claim to see if my panel has any issues and a fix for the flickering. If they don't do anything about it then I'm gonna have to find somewhere to tell this thing. I'd easily take $700 or $650. I knew I should have just gone with my gut and just bought a 50" Vizio P-series from the get-go. The 50" M-Series at my Sams Club that is on display has perfect black levels from what I can tell. When it displays a full black image there are no glowing edges or clouding (even if I take my hand, cuff it and put my face right up against the screen). I can also tell what TVs do because you can see a bit of blue in the black of other TVs.

Last edited by iGREASE; 06-13-2015 at 05:02 PM.
post #1788 of 2013 Old 06-13-2015, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGREASE View Post
Every day since the 30-day-return policy I have regretted buying the 60" 5300. I don't know if it is my panel but the black levels are garbage. I can't remember but the first 4 days I've had this TV I absolutely loved it and was blown away on how Blacks were actually Blacks but then I got some sort of flickering when displaying black images/dark scenes and after that I haven't been happy at all and should have just returned it then. I've already submitted a claim to see if my panel has any issues and a fix for the flickering. If they don't do anything about it then I'm gonna have to find somewhere to tell this thing. I'd easily take $700 or $650. I knew I should have just gone with my gut and just bought a 50" Vizio P-series from the get-go. The 50" M-Series at my Sams Club that is on display has perfect black levels from what I can tell. When it displays a full black image there are no glowing edges or clouding (even if I take my hand, cuff it and put my face right up against the screen). I can also tell what TVs do because you can see a bit of blue in the black of other TVs.
Until you get it into your dark room at home.

Even at the factory settings you shouldn't be able to say that the image looks like garbage. There's definitely something wrong with the panel. Where did you get it from, again?
post #1789 of 2013 Old 06-13-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Until you get it into your dark room at home.

Even at the factory settings you shouldn't be able to say that the image looks like garbage. There's definitely something wrong with the panel. Where did you get it from, again?
The image is fine it is the black levels and the flickering that bother me. Now I know this TV's black levels aren't the best but it is god awful now. I was watching Game of Thrones today and was like, damn, I can't deal with this. I mean it literally was gray. It is like I said, when I first got it I was blown away by how deep the blacks were but then after like 4 days I noticed the flickering and the black levels seemed to not be the same. I did try the tweak and it DID help a little I guess but I started noticing some misfires so I just put them back to default. I got it from HHGreg. They had to ship one in from the warehouse because the only one on hand they had was open box. I hope they didn't just have me wait 2 days and them gave me the open box one. Regardless it is my fault for not returning it when I noticed the flickering. So now I am seeing if Samsung will do something about it.

Last edited by iGREASE; 06-13-2015 at 05:53 PM.
post #1790 of 2013 Old 06-13-2015, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The image is fine it is the black levels and the flickering that bother me. Now I know this TV's black levels aren't the best but it is god awful now. I was watching Game of Thrones today and was like, damn, I can't deal with this. I mean it literally was gray. It is like I said, when I first got it I was blown away by how deep the blacks were but then after like 4 days I noticed the flickering and the black levels seemed to not be the same.
How long after you had the TV did the blacks suddenly go bad ? I never heard of this.

Have you actually measured it to see how off the levels are ?

Master reset no help ? Gamma, Advanced Settings, White Point, etc. -- no help ?

Quote:
I did try the tweak and it DID help a little I guess but I started noticing some misfires so I just put them back to default. I got it from HHGreg. They had to ship one in from the warehouse because the only one on hand they had was open box. I hope they didn't just have me wait 2 days and them gave me the open box one. Regardless it is my fault for not returning it when I noticed the flickering. So now I am seeing if Samsung will do something about it.
How many hours does the TV have ? Check the service menu, that would tell you if it was the Open Box one.
post #1791 of 2013 Old 06-13-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
How long after you had the TV did the blacks suddenly go bad ? I never heard of this.

How many hours does the TV have ? Check the service menu, that would tell you if it was the Open Box one.
About 4 days is when I noticed it and I believe it has gotten worse since. It could just be placebo effect and the blacks were just bad the entire time. But the flickering prominently started after about 4 days.

No but I can assure you it is not black.
Yes, I have tried everything. I even updated the firmware.

The TV has about 60 hours on it which is about accurate from the rate of what I have been watching. I got the TV back on April 21.

Here is a picture (it kinda big)
Spoiler!

Last edited by iGREASE; 06-13-2015 at 07:21 PM.
post #1792 of 2013 Old 06-13-2015, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

While we are on the subject.... is there a quickie way to test my black levels watching some current movie or TV show at a certain point in time ? Current episode of Game Of Thrones ?If so, let me know.

Last edited by PhilipsPhanatic; 06-13-2015 at 08:31 PM.
post #1793 of 2013 Old 06-13-2015, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not sure what those black blotches are trying to show....

What is this 'flickering' you are talking about? The other day I noticed the picture vibrating a bit -- noticeable when I froze the pic -- but it was the cable signal (not the TV) at fault.

You see bad blacks on multiple input sources ?
post #1794 of 2013 Old 06-14-2015, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Not sure what those black blotches are trying to show....

What is this 'flickering' you are talking about? The other day I noticed the picture vibrating a bit -- noticeable when I froze the pic -- but it was the cable signal (not the TV) at fault.

You see bad blacks on multiple input sources ?
The pictures show what the TV looks in complete darkness. Obviously it doesn't actual show what I see. I have tried multiple all HDMI inputs and USB. All perform the same and have the same issue. The pulsating looks like this.
Spoiler!
post #1795 of 2013 Old 06-14-2015, 10:33 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
The image is fine it is the black levels and the flickering that bother me. Now I know this TV's black levels aren't the best but it is god awful now. I was watching Game of Thrones today and was like, damn, I can't deal with this. I mean it literally was gray. It is like I said, when I first got it I was blown away by how deep the blacks were but then after like 4 days I noticed the flickering and the black levels seemed to not be the same. I did try the tweak and it DID help a little I guess but I started noticing some misfires so I just put them back to default. I got it from HHGreg. They had to ship one in from the warehouse because the only one on hand they had was open box. I hope they didn't just have me wait 2 days and them gave me the open box one. Regardless it is my fault for not returning it when I noticed the flickering. So now I am seeing if Samsung will do something about it.

Hi, when you say flickering, are you referring to a lightening of the black level? Is this effect repeatable at certain points of the material you are watching? The reason I ask is I have a B version 51" set and I do notice "floating blacks" on certain scenes. These increases in brightness are repeatable. I was watching an old dvd... Bubba Ho-tep. There is a scene where an old lady is being frightened in a nursing home. You can see the blacks become greyer, up and down in the scene. These shifts are repeatable at the same spots. I played the dvd on my older Toshiba LCD tv and these shifts did not occur.
I think this is "floating blacks" and it's a common trait with plasma tv sets, from what my perusal of the web suggests. Is this what you are seeing too?
post #1796 of 2013 Old 06-14-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989civic View Post
Hi, when you say flickering, are you referring to a lightening of the black level? Is this effect repeatable at certain points of the material you are watching? The reason I ask is I have a B version 51" set and I do notice "floating blacks" on certain scenes. These increases in brightness are repeatable. I was watching an old dvd... Bubba Ho-tep. There is a scene where an old lady is being frightened in a nursing home. You can see the blacks become greyer, up and down in the scene. These shifts are repeatable at the same spots. I played the dvd on my older Toshiba LCD tv and these shifts did not occur.
I think this is "floating blacks" and it's a common trait with plasma tv sets, from what my perusal of the web suggests. Is this what you are seeing too?
I don't believe it is floating blacks. Why would it float on a completely black image? It does it on any really dark scene and I didn't have this issue when I first got this TV.
post #1797 of 2013 Old 06-14-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
About 4 days is when I noticed it and I believe it has gotten worse since. It could just be placebo effect and the blacks were just bad the entire time. But the flickering prominently started after about 4 days.

Yes, I have tried everything. I even updated the firmware.

The TV has about 60 hours on it which is about accurate from the rate of what I have been watching. I got the TV back on April 21.
Ok couple of questions first off have you actually looked at how many hours the TV had on it? If it was open box I can pretty much tell you it has more than 60 hours.

To check that you to hit mute and 737 and then hit enter on your remote. That will take you to the service menu and part way down it will you show you actual display hours at MRT.

Seriously though it sounds like you are having a warranty issue with your panel.

My A model came with 320 hours on it. I picked it up in May and the Blacks are fantastic and it now has 566 hours on it.

These models were actually rated at having amazing Blacks for the money.
The B models were supposedly just as good as 8500 panels. The A's are really not far behind. Definitely not enough to warrant paying another 500-700.

I wanted a B model badly and could find one. I wound up with this A model that I feel is quite excellent none the less. I am resigned to it now happily.

Oh and I am sorry but a Vizio just does not hold a candle to these TV's in any way shape or form. You would either have to buy ST level Panasonic or an 8500 to get a better TV.

Good luck getting either of those at reasonable price points without lots of hours on them.
post #1798 of 2013 Old 06-14-2015, 02:17 PM

Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
I have a 2013 60f5300 no complaints very good set IMO and anyone that has seen it (setting aside 4K by itself ) it can still spank some real expensive by comparison 2015 LCD I've seen recently it's definitly the game day/movie set to have short of a 2015 XBR or JS Series Samsung .
post #1799 of 2013 Old 06-14-2015, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989civic View Post
Do you have Dynamic Contrast or other options enabled? My black levels don't change.
post #1800 of 2013 Old 06-14-2015, 03:09 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Do you have Dynamic Contrast or other options enabled? My black levels don't change.

No, I have all of the enhancements like Dynamic Contrast, turned off. I've heard of other Samsung sets and Panasonic models that have the floating black level issue. As these changes are always repeatable and not random, it makes me wonder if it simply is intrinsic in the tech itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f5300 51 Inch Plasma Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page